***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!:
    [QUOTE]Here's a sleeper to keep an eye on in Rd's 5-7: SMU DE/OLB/TE Taylor Thompson (6-6 260) - very good size/length prospect (should intrigue BB), huge hands, excellent athlete, moves well, fast (4.57)... had moderate production as a senior (7 sacks, 8 TFL), but the upside is there and he could be worth a shot in the later rounds.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Good find MB, well worth a look

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : does he look like burris in his approach to getting to the ball? he chooses not to force his way. avoids getting engaged on the way to the ball. burris is 10 lbs heavier though. and i thought was quicker to the ball.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I haven't spent much if any time watching tape on David based on his size and projected draft range (Rd 2).  From what I've seen of him watching Nebraska, he's a highly active kid with a good motor, always around the football, makes a ton of tackles and has excellent game speed, etc.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Good find MB, well worth a look
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Thanks, man.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : does he look like burris in his approach to getting to the ball? he chooses not to force his way. avoids getting engaged on the way to the ball. burris is 10 lbs heavier though. and i thought was quicker to the ball.

He is pretty aggressive and instinctive attacking downhill just like Burris but his coverage (both man and zone) is just off the charts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Any Purdue guys out there? What you all know about, Ryan Miller OG 6'7" 321 lbs, looks like an OT played primarily OG at Purdue.  I would like to see what Scar could do with him.  He would add depth across the OL except for OC with some development.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

A little different mock, top half

I can't argue with the picks for the Pats except I'm really nervous about McClellin's concussions. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : This right here is my favorite mock!!!! Lavonte David and Shea McClellin are two of my favorite players in this years draft. Lavonte really reminds me a lot of Derrick Brooks. I know its a bit audacious to compare a kid coming into the league to a Hall of Famer but their style is eerily similar. I could see BB using him as a LB/S hybrid in a ' Big' Nickel package or as a pure Strong Safety in Base. Also a fan of Josh Chapman and Jaye Howard. Malik Jackson is another sleeper who I think might even prove to be a better player than any 4-3 DE taken this year.
    Posted by speedster81[/QUOTE]

Thanks Man! I know it's kind of heavy on DL, but I feel that some serious upgrades are in order for the Pats in that department. Ellis & Brace definitally need to be upgraded, IMO, and I think a guy like Silvestro is a practice squad player at best.  When in doubt, take a proven D-Lineman from the SEC. We'll see if BB agrees...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]A little different mock, top half I can't argue with the picks for the Pats except I'm really nervous about McClellin's concussions.  http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/mock-drafts/charles-davis/130111?module=HP11_content_stream
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

you're making me nervous about mcclellin's concussions. given how unlucky bb is with his drafts when it comes to injuries, i think he should stay away from mcclellin.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

[QUOTE]Any Purdue guys out there? What you all know about, Ryan Miller OG 6'7" 321 lbs, looks like an OT played primarily OG at Purdue.  I would like to see what Scar could do with him.  He would add depth across the OL except for OC with some development.

Do you mean Ryan Miller G from Colorado? Guy was highly recruited coming out of high school,might even have been a 5 star if Im not mistaken but underachieved during his time at Colorado. Struggles at pass blocking but excels in the run game. With his measurables,I too would like to see what Scar could do with him. Starting RT or Swing Tackle. Have to think the Pats must have noticed him while scouting Solder last year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : you're making me nervous about mcclellin's concussions. given how unlucky bb is with his drafts when it comes to injuries, i think he should stay away from mcclellin.

In a recent Radio Interview, McClellin was asked about his concussion history and he said that the only major concussion he has had was against Wyoming.He said he also experienced one other mild one but both of those were more than a year ago and he hasnt experienced another one since switching to a different type of helmet. I will post a link to the article if anyone is interested and if I can find it. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Do you mean Ryan Miller G from Colorado? Guy was highly recruited coming out of high school,might even have been a 5 star if Im not mistaken but underachieved during his time at Colorado. Struggles at pass blocking but excels in the run game. With his measurables,I too would like to see what Scar could do with him. Starting RT or Swing Tackle. Have to think the Pats must have noticed him while scouting Solder last year.

Yes I was looking at two guys, Miller OG Colorado and Dennis Kelly OT from Purdue, 6'8" 321 lbs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : In a recent Radio Interview, McClellin was asked about his concussion history and he said that the only major concussion he has had was against Wyoming.He said he also experienced one other mild one but both of those were more than a year ago and he hasnt experienced another one since switching to a different type of helmet.  I will post a link to the article if anyone is interested and if I can find it. 

i read all that.
    my reading of that was that he had a pretty good one and a moderate or light one.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : you're making me nervous about mcclellin's concussions. given how unlucky bb is with his drafts when it comes to injuries, i think he should stay away from mcclellin.

I just keep thinking Mike Wright, but if McClelling is clear and they haven't been a problem, he's the pick at 27.  Too good a football player to pass up IMO.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : This right here is my favorite mock!!!! Lavonte David and Shea McClellin are two of my favorite players in this years draft. Lavonte really reminds me a lot of Derrick Brooks. I know its a bit audacious to compare a kid coming into the league to a Hall of Famer but their style is eerily similar. I could see BB using him as a LB/S hybrid in a ' Big' Nickel package or as a pure Strong Safety in Base. Also a fan of Josh Chapman and Jaye Howard. Malik Jackson is another sleeper who I think might even prove to be a better player than any 4-3 DE taken this year.
    The only thing that worries me about McClellin is his history of concussions.  Watching him a lot during the season I always felt he was an elite talent.  It has taken the experts months to catch up to the idea.

I like Jaye Howard too.  Also, your Brooks comparison is spot on for David.  I worry about his size but no questioning he's a stud.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Just for fun, I compared McClellin's combine stats to Nickovich's. Nink actually performed better. Don't know if this means anything, but I found it interesting.

http://www.nfl.com/player/robninkovich/2495920/combine

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/shea-mcclellin?id=2532907

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : I just keep thinking Mike Wright, but if McClelling is clear and they haven't been a problem, he's the pick at 27.  Too good a football player to pass up IMO.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : He's much more than a box S... put the tape on, kid's in deep coverage a ton... has very good instincts, range and a nose for the football and is very quick to close. Now like most S, he'll have some man limitations against smaller/quicker slot guys, that's only natural, heck nickel/slot CB's have trouble with them too... but he'll match up well vs. TE's and RB's and his skill set makes him a good fit in NE's predominantly zone scheme.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]
    Hey Mb,

Thanks for your support on Harrison Smith.  You and I seem to be the lone wolves on this kid but you know what, I don't mind.  Mayock has just jumped on the bus ranking him #28 overall.  Smith is the real deal guys!!!  Mb is so correct on this.  This kid can play FS, I have no doubt in my mind.  Didn't anyone else watch him at the Combine coming out of his back pedal?  He has the hips of a corner.

But I differ a little with Mb in that while I agree he can hold his own with backs and TEs, I think in our zone scheme he is perfect for providing deep cover.  He isn't going to be asked to cover the slot very often.  That's what nickel backs do.  Only if we can't sub, and he has to, may he find himself locked up with the slot receiver, like in hurry up situations.  Most of the time, he is going to be asked to cover the deep center and TEs and RBs coming into his zone.  With his long-as-crap arms and great instincts, he can get over to either side of the field to help out and break up passes.  Plus he will cover the middle of the field as good as anyone we've had in years.  Plus he will be a tackling machine even in the run game, even as a free safety in our scheme.  You won't be seeing a broken tackle (Moore, Arrington and others) turned into 20 more yards.  You're going to see catch, splat and if we're lucky, ball separation. 

We'll just have to wait and see who gets him but if the Pats do, Mb would like a case of beer and I, a fine bottle of scotch compliments of all you nay sayers out there.  I don't know what Mb drinks but I'll take a bottle of McCallan 18.  While you're at it, throw in some Havanas:)))).

Who's on? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Some players I've enjoyed watching film on. (Skipped many players with no real chance of being in range)

Pure Pass Rushers with VERY quick 1st steps
    Andre Branch
    Bruce Irvin
    Nick Perry

All around DE/OLB types
    Chandler Jones
    Shea McClellin
    Vinny Curry
    Donte Hightower (Yes HERE, I don't think he's very good as an ILB, good blitzer but engages blocker like he's blocking back using his shoulder and turning his body sideways, rarely makes a play because he's been turned, off balance, and let the blocker into his body)

DT/DE types
    Michael Brockers
    Devon Still
    Brandon Thompson
    Kendall Reyes
    Derek Wolfe
    Jared Crick

Receivers
    Marvin Jones
    Mohamed Sanu
    Chris Givens
    Greg Childs

Safeties
    Mark Barron
    Harrison SMith
    Brandon Taylor

Running Backs
    David Wilson
    Doug Martin
    Isaiah Pead
    Chris Polk

Inside Linebackers
    James-Michael Johnson
    Miles Burris
    Tank Carder

Guard
    Amini Silatolu

DB
    Josh Robinson
    Casey Hayward
    Jamell Flemming
    Brandon Boykin

Over-rated
    Courtney Upshaw
    Dre Kirkpatrick
    Dontari Poe
    Whitney Mercilus
    Lavonte David
    Trumaine Johnson
    Ladarius Green
    Zach Brown

Good but knuckleheads
    LaMichael James
    Janoris Jenkins

...just my opinion based mostly on various youtube clips per individual.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

[QUOTE]Some players I've enjoyed watching film on. (Skipped many players with no real chance of being in range) Pure Pass Rushers with VERY quick 1st steps Andre Branch Bruce Irvin Nick Perry All around DE/OLB types Chandler Jones Shea McClellin Vinny Curry Donte Hightower (Yes HERE, I don't think he's very good as an ILB, good blitzer but engages blocker like he's blocking back using his shoulder and turning his body sideways, rarely makes a play because he's been turned, off balance, and let the blocker into his body) DT/DE types Michael Brockers Devon Still Brandon Thompson Kendall Reyes Derek Wolfe Jared Crick Receivers Marvin Jones Mohamed Sanu Chris Givens Greg Childs Safeties Mark Barron Harrison SMith Brandon Taylor Running Backs David Wilson Doug Martin Isaiah Pead Chris Polk Inside Linebackers James-Michael Johnson Miles Burris Tank Carder Guard Amini Silatolu DB Josh Robinson Casey Hayward Jamell Flemming Brandon Boykin Over-rated Courtney Upshaw Dre Kirkpatrick Dontari Poe Whitney Mercilus Lavonte David Trumaine Johnson Ladarius Green Zach Brown Good but knuckleheads LaMichael James Janoris Jenkins ...just my opinion based mostly on various youtube clips per individual.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

Curious on your take of Lavonte David. I see you have him in the over-rated category.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Hey Mb, Thanks for your support on Harrison Smith.  You and I seem to be the lone wolves on this kid but you know what, I don't mind.  Mayock has just jumped on the bus ranking him #28 overall.  Smith is the real deal guys!!!  Mb is so correct on this.  This kid can play FS, I have no doubt in my mind.  Didn't anyone else watch him at the Combine coming out of his back pedal?  He has the hips of a corner. But I differ a little with Mb in that while I agree he can hold his own with backs and TEs, I think in our zone scheme he is perfect for providing deep cover.  He isn't going to be asked to cover the slot very often.  That's what nickel backs do.  Only if we can't sub, and he has to, may he find himself locked up with the slot receiver, like in hurry up situations.  Most of the time, he is going to be asked to cover the deep center and TEs and RBs coming into his zone.  With his long-as-crap arms and great instincts, he can get over to either side of the field to help out and break up passes.  Plus he will cover the middle of the field as good as anyone we've had in years.  Plus he will be a tackling machine even in the run game, even as a free safety in our scheme.  You won't be seeing a broken tackle (Moore, Arrington and others) turned into 20 more yards.  You're going to see catch, splat and if we're lucky, ball separation.  We'll just have to wait and see who gets him but if the Pats do, Mb would like a case of beer and I, a fine bottle of scotch compliments of all you nay sayers out there.  I don't know what Mb drinks but I'll take a bottle of McCallan 18.  While you're at it, throw in some Havanas:)))). Who's on?  Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE] Well you seem pretty confident BB will take him. Yes we have a need at s, but I believe BB will pass on him, or we could also see him move up, ahead of 27 if Barron is taken early. This is a possibility no one as brought up. What appends if buffalo grabs barron and Dallas grabs smith? Is ut possible smith could go before 27? I won't put a bet on it, but I think BB passes on both smith and McClellin if given the chance.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!": Well you seem pretty confident BB will take him. Yes we have a need at s, but I believe BB will pass on him, or we could also see him move up, ahead of 27 if Barron is taken early. This is a possibility no one as brought up. What appends if buffalo grabs barron and Dallas grabs smith? Is ut possible smith could go before 27? I won't put a bet on it, but I think BB passes on both smith and McClellin if given the chance.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

what makes you say the pass on mclellin? the value at how high you would have to get him?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Curious on your take of Lavonte David. I see you have him in the over-rated category.

As a traditional LB, to me, he runs around sideline to sidline a lot like Zach Brown and looks the part without actually making enough of the plays. More athlete than LB to me.

I have since seen alot of people on here talk about him as a safety or situational coverage LB and I guess I could see that but was simply not evaluating him like that when I watched him initially.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : what makes you say the pass on mclellin? the value at how high you would have to get him? Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE] Because drafting McClellin is something I want BB to do. Just like I wanted him (as most of,us did) to draft brooks reed and Connor bar win. Its a somewhat logical pick, a lot,of us want this, and therefore, BB won't do,it....lol

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It looks like Upshaw won't make it past Cinn. They are rumored to be using one of their 1st round picks on Upshaw. They were the biggest roadblocks that I saw, if he made it past them at #21 I thought he would most definitly make it to us at #27. In teresting to note though that if the Bills (rumored to look at a T) take Barron and Cinn (rumored to look at CB's and OL) take Upshaw could we be seeing a lot of OL falling in this draft?

"SI's Tony Pauline has heard that the Bengals "will" use one of their first-round picks on Alabama DE/OLB Courtney Upshaw.

The Bengals' interest in Upshaw has been known for months, although they may not necessarily be so locked in if players like Notre Dame's Michael Floyd, North Carolina's Quinton Coples, and Alabama's Dre Kirkpatrick start falling. What is clear is Cincinnati has a first-round grade on Upshaw, whereas many teams are less high on him. He's a realistic possibility at 17 or 21."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!": [QUOTE]It looks like Upshaw won't make it past Cinn. They are rumored to be using one of their 1st round picks on Upshaw. They were the biggest roadblocks that I saw, if he made it past them at #21 I thought he would most definitly make it to us at #27. In teresting to note though that if the Bills (rumored to look at a T) take Barron and Cinn (rumored to look at CB's and OL) take Upshaw could we be seeing a lot of OL falling in this draft? " SI's Tony Pauline has heard that the Bengals "will" use one of their first-round picks on Alabama DE/OLB Courtney Upshaw. The Bengals' interest in Upshaw has been known for months, although they may not necessarily be so locked in if players like Notre Dame's Michael Floyd, North Carolina's Quinton Coples, and Alabama's Dre Kirkpatrick start falling. What is clear is Cincinnati has a first-round grade on Upshaw, whereas many teams are less high on him. He's a realistic possibility at 17 or 21 ." Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE] Could this be a smokescreen by Cincy to get someone to move ahead of them and another player to drop ? I don't buy much into reports like this unless it comes from Dallas or buffalo....lol Some kid is going to unexpectedly fall in this draft to us at 27. I think there could be a possibility that a coples does. I have him going to Tennessee , but he could easily slide into the 20's. Would you take him given the chance? I am not high on him, but he does seem like a good Anderson replacement if that is what we are looking for.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think I've decided to take a Keno style approach to my last Pats mock before the draft. What I mean by Keno is that I'm going to give 3 possible outcomes for the pick that I feel could happen along with an extra pick in each of the rounds after the 2nd as (in case of trade) type of picks. Since trying to pick 6 moves out of the entire draft is near impossible for BB I'm hoping that the target system works and I could guess 2-3 moves total (btw I'm not giving pick #'s since it's almost guaranteed he won't stay at most of those picks):

1A - Shea McClellin OLB/DE
           Michael Brockers DE/DT
           Nick Perry OLB/DE

Since McClellin reportedly only had 1 concussion and not 3 and it looks like Upshaw won't make it to #27 anymore McClellin in and Upshaw out as I don't think this pick gets traded

1B - Traded for a 3rd this year and a 1st next year
           Kendell Reyes DE/DT
           Andre Branch OLB/DE

I really fell this pick will be traded

2A - Traded for a 4th this year and a 1st next year
            Vinny Curry OLB/DE
            Marvin McNutt WR

2B - Traded for 4th this year and 2nd next year
           Derek Wolfe DE/DT
           Josh Robinson CB

3 -   Marvin Jones WR
           Ron Brooks DB
           Cam Johnson DE

4 -   Chris Rainey RB/KR/WR
           Dwight Bentley DB
           Brandon Brooks G/T

Some picks in other rounds if we received picks via trades:

3 EP - Philip Blake G/C
              Trumaine Johnson FS/CB
              Brandon Taylor S

4 EP - Ryan Broyles WR
              Bruce Irvin OLB/DE
              Josh Chapman DT/NT

5 EP - Miles Burris OLB
              Nick Jean-Baptiste DT/NT
              DeQuan Menzie DB

6 EP - Brandon Hardin DB  (super sleeper)
              Chase Ford TE
              Cordarro Law OLB/DE

7 EP - Tashaun Gipson CB
              Damarlo Belcher WR
              Daron Rose OT