***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!:
    [QUOTE]In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!": Could this be a smokescreen by Cincy to get someone to move ahead of them and another player to drop ? I don't buy much into reports like this unless it comes from Dallas or buffalo....lol Some kid is going to unexpectedly fall in this draft to us at 27. I think there could be a possibility that a coples does. I have him going to Tennessee , but he could easily slide into the 20's. Would you take him given the chance? I am not high on him, but he does seem like a good Anderson replacement if that is what we are looking for.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Yeah Dal and Buf typically telegraph every move, but Cinn hasn't been very good at hiding their intentions either. They are usually a pretty easy team to read too. I wouldn't put it past Cinn to take Upshaw, like I said past Cinn at #21 I don't see a single team who would take Upshaw over the Pats at #27. So, if this is a smoke screen it's a relatively weak one

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

One name I have recently come across that might be a good option at S and would fall into the great value pick due to injury in the later rounds is Brandon Hardin from Oregon State. The kid is 6'3" 215lbs and runs in the mid 4.55's. He was a starter at Oregon and most likely would have been a 2-4 round CB/S last year but decided to return for his senior season. He broke his shoulder and missed his senior season completely. However, in 2010 63 tackles, 1 sack, and 3 FF. He isn't the best man coverage DB in the draft but he was more the proficient in zone. He has the size, speed, and zone coverage ability to FS in the pro's and if not for that broken shoulder we would most likely be talking about him as a day 2 pick. As it stand he'll most likely be a mid-late day 3 pick. Though I wouldn't put my faith that he'd be the solution he could be a nice find in the later rounds much like Cannon was

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I think we are going to be set up (McClellin's fans) to another disapointment, not because BB will pass him up but I came across a mock with him going in the late teens.  I really hadn't thought of that scenario but the more I think about it it could happen.
    I know this might be a bit too high but with his high football IQ, college production, system versatile and his height/weight/speed he might be the best option for teams looking at a DE or OLB.  Might not have the ceiling that a Mercilus but his floor is much higher.

Also there's a mock or two that has the Jets moving into the top 10 to get Melvin Ingram.  Don't put much on who's doing the mock but Jets have Ingram high on their wish list.  What would they need to give up to move to #7?  probably 16, a 3rd and 2013 first.  Jets would have left one more pick in 2012 in early rounds and 6 picks in the 6th and 7th round.  With all their needs I just can't see them giving up so much for 1 player. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

NFL.com's Chad Reuters mocked the entire draft, here are his Pats projections...

1 (27) Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama
    1 (31) Kendall Reyes, DT, Connecticut
    2 (48) Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama
    2 (62) Lamar Miller, RB, Miami
    3 (93) Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma
    4 (126) Markelle Martin, S, Oklahoma State

I would be pretty happy with this...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!": Well you seem pretty confident BB will take him. Yes we have a need at s, but I believe BB will pass on him, or we could also see him move up, ahead of 27 if Barron is taken early. This is a possibility no one as brought up. What appends if buffalo grabs barron and Dallas grabs smith? Is ut possible smith could go before 27? I won't put a bet on it, but I think BB passes on both smith and McClellin if given the chance.
    You're right, I hadn't considered the possibility of Smith going before 27.  If Barron goes ahead of DAL to BUF, which I think is a real possibility given they couldn't stop Gronk last year and you build your team to win within your division, I could see DAL taking Smith but more likely they would go OL or perhaps CB.  But, if someone takes Smith and we pass on, or McClellin is off the board, that really throws a wrench in the works.

I assume Brockers and Cox are long gone too.  I guess my order of preference based on who could be left would be as follows:

Kirkpatrick
    Hightower
    Mercilus
    Upshaw
    Branch
    Zeitler

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Any Purdue guys out there? What you all know about, Ryan Miller OG 6'7" 321 lbs, looks like an OT played primarily OG at Purdue.  I would like to see what Scar could do with him.  He would add depth across the OL except for OC with some development.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Miller is a Colorado guy like Solder, Dennis Kelly is a kid from Purdue that projects as a late rounder but has excellent height/lenght (6-8+ 320).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Miller is a Colorado guy like Solder, Dennis Kelly is a kid from Purdue that projects as a late rounder but has excellent height/lenght (6-8+ 320).
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was looking at my OL guys and got their schools backwards.  I like both of them, both would need to Scar magic but they have impressive size and move well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]One name I have recently come across that might be a good option at S and would fall into the great value pick due to injury in the later rounds is Brandon Hardin from Oregon State. The kid is 6'3" 215lbs and runs in the mid 4.55's. He was a starter at Oregon and most likely would have been a 2-4 round CB/S last year but decided to return for his senior season. He broke his shoulder and missed his senior season completely. However, in 2010 63 tackles, 1 sack, and 3 FF. He isn't the best man coverage DB in the draft but he was more the proficient in zone. He has the size, speed, and zone coverage ability to FS in the pro's and if not for that broken shoulder we would most likely be talking about him as a day 2 pick. As it stand he'll most likely be a mid-late day 3 pick. Though I wouldn't put my faith that he'd be the solution he could be a nice find in the later rounds much like Cannon was
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

PE,
    I'm with you on Hardin, love his measurables and experience at both CB and S though S is prob his NFL position.  I have him along with ND's Robert Blandon, Iowa's Jordan Bernstine and Auburn's Neiko Thorpe (another guy you and I have talked about ) as my late round S sleepers. All of which have CB experience.  Bernstine in particular could also impact on ST, love the Iowa connection.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Some players I've enjoyed watching film on. (Skipped many players with no real chance of being in range) Pure Pass Rushers with VERY quick 1st steps Andre Branch Bruce Irvin Nick Perry All around DE/OLB types Chandler Jones Shea McClellin Vinny Curry Donte Hightower (Yes HERE, I don't think he's very good as an ILB, good blitzer but engages blocker like he's blocking back using his shoulder and turning his body sideways, rarely makes a play because he's been turned, off balance, and let the blocker into his body) DT/DE types Michael Brockers Devon Still Brandon Thompson Kendall Reyes Derek Wolfe Jared Crick Receivers Marvin Jones Mohamed Sanu Chris Givens Greg Childs Safeties Mark Barron Harrison SMith Brandon Taylor Running Backs David Wilson Doug Martin Isaiah Pead Chris Polk Inside Linebackers James-Michael Johnson Miles Burris Tank Carder Guard Amini Silatolu DB Josh Robinson Casey Hayward Jamell Flemming Brandon Boykin Over-rated Courtney Upshaw Dre Kirkpatrick Dontari Poe Whitney Mercilus Lavonte David Trumaine Johnson Ladarius Green Zach Brown Good but knuckleheads LaMichael James Janoris Jenkins ...just my opinion based mostly on various youtube clips per individual.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

I'd urge you to check out Oklahoma's Ronnell Lewis (if you haven't already).  Kid looks like an excellent LB fit for NE and could play in either scheme.

Doesn't have the preferred height/length (6-2 255), but has adequate size, excellent strength and versatility (played a lot of 43 DE in college which prob hindered his sack totals), very good timed/play speed, excellent athleticism, plays a ferocius brand of football with an awesome motor and will impact on ST... kid's a tone setter.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Hey Mb, Thanks for your support on Harrison Smith.  You and I seem to be the lone wolves on this kid but you know what, I don't mind.  Mayock has just jumped on the bus ranking him #28 overall.  Smith is the real deal guys!!!  Mb is so correct on this.  This kid can play FS, I have no doubt in my mind.  Didn't anyone else watch him at the Combine coming out of his back pedal?  He has the hips of a corner. But I differ a little with Mb in that while I agree he can hold his own with backs and TEs, I think in our zone scheme he is perfect for providing deep cover.  He isn't going to be asked to cover the slot very often.  That's what nickel backs do.  Only if we can't sub, and he has to, may he find himself locked up with the slot receiver, like in hurry up situations.  Most of the time, he is going to be asked to cover the deep center and TEs and RBs coming into his zone.  With his long-as-crap arms and great instincts, he can get over to either side of the field to help out and break up passes.  Plus he will cover the middle of the field as good as anyone we've had in years.  Plus he will be a tackling machine even in the run game, even as a free safety in our scheme.  You won't be seeing a broken tackle (Moore, Arrington and others) turned into 20 more yards.  You're going to see catch, splat and if we're lucky, ball separation.  We'll just have to wait and see who gets him but if the Pats do, Mb would like a case of beer and I, a fine bottle of scotch compliments of all you nay sayers out there.  I don't know what Mb drinks but I'll take a bottle of McCallan 18.  While you're at it, throw in some Havanas:)))). Who's on? 
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Ha, no prob man... I go by what I see!

I'd take a dirty 30 of Coors Light or a case of Leinenkugel Summer Shandy (worth a try if you can get it, awesome summer beer).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]NFL.com's Chad Reuters mocked the entire draft, here are his Pats projections... 1 (27) Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama 1 (31) Kendall Reyes, DT, Connecticut 2 (48) Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama 2 (62) Lamar Miller, RB, Miami 3 (93) Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma 4 (126) Markelle Martin, S, Oklahoma State I would be pretty happy with this...
    Posted by mcboyd22[/QUOTE]

I don't like the idea of taking the gamble on Jenkins that early. Maybe at #62 or if we got and extra 3rd I'd pull the trigger but to me #48 is still an extremely valuable pick that you can find a potential starter without the red flags (ala Curry or even Reyes might fall there)

Also I don't like the idea of spending another high round pick on a RB. They have short enough careers as is and spending 3 relatively high picks on RB's in 2 years to me just seems like another position that could have been filled. I'd rather grab a vet and trust the younger guys then to grab another RB in the back of the 2nd

Other then that I would be pretty excited about this draft. Heck even with taking the risk on Jenkins and another RB I would feel they have some good potential in the list taken

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Michael Lombardi's latest mock, McClelling top 20.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

McClellin's value seems to be ascending, however, I see alot of mocks where the Pats take him and Harrison Smith with the two firsts. I think BB should send out smoke signals that he wants TE Fleener and get someone to trade up. If Hightower is there at #27 (doubtful) he should do the same thing. My problem with Jenkins is not the weed, but the run ins with the law and some bad decisions. Just looks alot like PacMan revisted. Ask youself this question is Jenkins a better value than Hernandez. One managed to keep is status at FLA, the other did not. Maybe BB's buddy Meyer can give him some insights, but I would not use 48 or higher to draft a potential headcase.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : I'd urge you to check out Oklahoma's Ronnell Lewis (if you haven't already).  Kid looks like an excellent LB fit for NE and could play in either scheme. Doesn't have the preferred height/length (6-2 255), but has adequate size, excellent strength and versatility (played a lot of 43 DE in college which prob hindered his sack totals), very good timed/play speed, excellent athleticism, plays a ferocius brand of football with an awesome motor and will impact on ST... kid's a tone setter.

Thanks MB I have seen him and like him a lot. Just forgot him on my list. He was actually a guy then led me to my upshaw over rated feeling. I don't think there is much difference between the two and might like Lewis a lil better  but one was being talked about in the top 15 forever and the other as a 2nd-3rd rounder.

Not to mention Lewis measurables were better in every category, 40, 10 split, 3 cone, bench, shuttle, vert, and broad.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

My Final Mock:

27 - Upshaw or McClellin DE/OLB

31 - traded for a 2nd in the 42-52 range, a 4th and a '13 2nd

42-52 - Still, Reyes or Worthy DE/DT

48 - Kendricks, Wagner, David or Brown LB

62 - Wolfe, Martin, Crick or Still DE/DT

3rd - Lloka, Johnson, Dennard or Martin FS

4A - Blake, Molk, Jones or Brewster C

4B - Broyles, Hilton or Joe Adams WR who can return P/K's

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Thanks MB I have seen him and like him a lot. Just forgot him on my list. He was actually a guy then led me to my upshaw over rated feeling. I don't think there is much difference between the two and might like Lewis a lil better  but one was being talked about in the top 15 forever and the other as a 2nd-3rd rounder. Not to mention Lewis measurables were better in every category, 40, 10 split, 3 cone, bench, shuttle, vert, and broad.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

Cool man.

What don't you like about Upshaw?  I think he's a very good football player, makes plays behind the LOS, consistently good motor, very physical and could be the best run defender of any of the edge guys in this class. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

SI's Tony Pauline reports that the Ravens "will jump" at the opportunity to draft Boise State LB Shea McClellin if he's available at No. 29.

But will he get by the Patriots at 27, and Packers at 28? Pauline points to Wisconsin G/C Peter Konz as a fallback option for Baltimore. It's worth noting that exactly 365 days ago, Pauline reported the Ravens "will grab" Colorado CB Jimmy Smith if he was available at last year's No. 26 overall pick. Baltimore traded down one spot, and drafted Smith at No. 27 overall.
    Source: TFY Draft
    Apr 25 - 12:48 PM

According to SI's Tony Pauline, "several teams around the league" grade Alabama S Mark Barron as a top-six player on their draft boards.

The insinuation here is that Barron is the highest rated player behind the five "elite" prospects -- Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Trent Richardson, Matt Kalil, and Morris Claiborne. NFL Network's Mike Mayock recently suggested Barron as a sleeper to be the eighth overall pick, going to the Dolphins. Barron could also go No. 10 to Buffalo, and he won't get by Dallas at No. 14.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Beau,

Whats up with this guy?

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, "some teams" view West Virginia OLB Bruce Irvin as "maybe" the top pass rusher in the draft.

Per Schefter, Irvin is "very desired around the league." Irvin has elite athleticism, but was already dealing with questions about his character before he was arrested for destruction of property the day after his March Pro Day. Despite his high-ceiling, he's not in the first-round mix.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Beau, Whats up with this guy? According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, "some teams" view West Virginia OLB Bruce Irvin as "maybe" the top pass rusher in the draft. Per Schefter, Irvin is "very desired around the league." Irvin has elite athleticism, but was already dealing with questions about his character before he was arrested for destruction of property the day after his March Pro Day. Despite his high-ceiling, he's not in the first-round mix.
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

Kid has huge upside as an edge rusher and should be able to provide value early in that capacity.  The knock on him is his off field character (plays hard on the field though) and that he's a bit of a one trick pony. (pass rusher only). 

IMO, if you can land this kid in Rd 3, you do it (assuming they haven't already taken 2 pass rushers in Rd 1/2, etc.) and utilize him situationally while the rest of his game develops as he possesses excellent speed/quicks/COD and athleticism.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Kid has huge upside as an edge rusher and should be able to provide value early in that capacity.  The knock on him is his off field character (plays hard on the field though) and that he's a bit of a one trick pony. (pass rusher only).  IMO, if you can land this kid in Rd 3, you do it (assuming they haven't already taken 2 pass rushers in Rd 1/2, etc.) and utilize him situationally while the rest of his game develops as he possesses excellent speed/quicks/COD and athleticism.

So he replaces Mark Anderson?  That's the hope I guess.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : So he replaces Mark Anderson?  That's the hope I guess.
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

He'd help replace some of Anderson's pure pass rush ability, yes.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!": Because drafting McClellin is something I want BB to do. Just like I wanted him (as most of,us did) to draft brooks reed and Connor bar win. Its a somewhat logical pick, a lot,of us want this, and therefore, BB won't do,it....lol

oh! of course!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]NFL.com's Chad Reuters mocked the entire draft, here are his Pats projections... 1 (27) Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama 1 (31) Kendall Reyes, DT, Connecticut 2 (48) Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama 2 (62) Lamar Miller, RB, Miami 3 (93) Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma 4 (126) Markelle Martin, S, Oklahoma State I would be pretty happy with this...
    Posted by mcboyd22[/QUOTE]

thats not bad!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]McClellin's value seems to be ascending, however, I see alot of mocks where the Pats take him and Harrison Smith with the two firsts. I think BB should send out smoke signals that he wants TE Fleener and get someone to trade up. If Hightower is there at #27 (doubtful) he should do the same thing. My problem with Jenkins is not the weed, but the run ins with the law and some bad decisions. Just looks alot like PacMan revisted. Ask youself this question is Jenkins a better value than Hernandez. One managed to keep is status at FLA, the other did not. Maybe BB's buddy Meyer can give him some insights, but I would not use 48 or higher to draft a potential headcase.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

i believe it was on nfl network last night i saw a comment from one of the draft guys saying urban myer lvoed jenkins. (dont know how old the reference alluded to.)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Michael Lombardi won't say which team flew Bruce Irvin to a private workout and told him they are picking him in the 1st round.  According to Lombardi there was a helicopter involved lol his words not mine, saw it at NFL path to the draft no link.

So where was Irwin at?  Know that and I know which teams are within helicopter range lol  If he was back at WV a team like Steelers or Baltimore are both in that max range for a helicopter and both are in the mid to late 20s.