***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!

Don't know if it's true or not, but I had hard that draft telecasts will not be showing prospects on the phone this year... essentially giving up the pick beforer it's announced... I love the idea.  I also don't wanna have to drive to New York to smash LaCanfora (Similar to Silatolu vs. DII competition) for telling us who the pick will be seconds before Goodell announces it... go write an article and stop ruining sh^t buddy! Don't make me angry, Jason, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

There, I feel better.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : I'm not sure about your impact players on the O side comment. Take out Floyd and Blackmon and the rest you can toss into a bag until the end of the 2nd as all have provides. Sanu and Jeffery have questions about separation at the next level, Hill is extremely raw, Wright some question if he will be anything more then a fast slot guy, McNutt and Jones question on production, Randle about his route running. Any and all of them could be great but all have been labeled fringe #1 WR's more then likely #2 WR types. With OL I really can't see them taking an OL early. If Vollmers back is healthy they have Vollmer (RT), Solder (LT), Cannon (RG), and Mankins (LG) as starters moving forward. If Vollmers back isn't healthy then they have 3 Solder (LT), Canno (RT), Mankins (LG). They are also high on McDonald as a future starting C which he looked pretty good when taking over for Connolly. Needs some more polishing but looks pretty decent. So, really worst case they are looking at an eventual C and a RG. RG's you typically don't target early and some of the Pats best RG's have come in the 5+ range. C is a possibility but then you are talking Konz. Konz should be an immediate starter so why sign Connolly and Koppen both if they were thinking Konz? Past Konz all guys need some work but with Scar they could take a player like Molk in the middle of the draft rather then spending high on a C. I just don't see OL being taken early this year unless they are convinced that there are no RG prospects they could groom over a year period to replace Waters if Vollmers health is an issue and Cannon will be the long term RT
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Wright and/or Hill (the next Randy Moss?) can be impact type receivers. Light just retired, Walters has one more year tops, Mankins has ACL injury. BB may want a top level lineman as insurance to keep Brady upright. Remember, BB is thinking both long term and short term. As Bedard stated, the Pats are SB favorites with no new rookies. BB always goes against the grain.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Wright and/or Hill (the next Randy Moss?) can be impact type receivers. Light just retired, Walters has one more year tops, Mankins has ACL injury. BB may want a top level lineman as insurance to keep Brady upright. Remember, BB is thinking both long term and short term. As Bedard stated, the Pats are SB favorites with no new rookies. BB always goes against the grain.
    Posted by sfpat[/QUOTE]

Wright or Hill the next Randy Moss? Are you serious? Moss was the most talented WR to come out of the draft in the 10 yrs prior and up until C Johnson. The only reason he fell was because of off-field issues. Wright is falling because teams are concerned he won't be as affective in the pro's as in college and Hill is so raw he's compared to Thomas in Den. He has a ton of potential given his triangle numbers but so did Gholston. They have potential to be #1 WR's but to call them the next Moss is laughable at best

With the OL I pointed out the names Light retirement doesn't affect that we have 3 starting caliber T's in Solder, Vollmer, and Cannon so why draft high to replace Light? We did that last year

Waters doesn't look like he's retiring this year by all indications and if Vollmer's back is healthy next season Cannon will be moved to RG as a starter when Waters retires. But, beyond that who spends a 1st or a 2nd on a RG? Certainly not Scar.

Mankins you might have a point but they just paid him a ton of money. If his knee recovers (which no a days everyone recovers from ACL injures) do you really want a 1st round pick sitting on his thumbs while Mankins starts?

It's nice to have depth but you don't draft depth early. You draft starters early otherwise BB would draft a backup QB in the 1st every 4 years just in case Brady gets injured

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Below is my Final Draft Board:

Rd 1Rd 1-2Rd 2
    S- Mark  BarronS- Harrison SmithDE/OLB- Vinny Curry
    DL- Michael BrockersDE/OLB- Shea McClellinCB-Josh Robinson
    OLB- Courtney UpshawRB- Doug MartinOLB- Ronnell Lewis
    CB- Dre KirkpatrickDL- Kendall ReyesWR- Alshon Jeffery
    LB- Dont'a HightowerDL- Brandon ThompsonOG- Amini Silatolu
    CB/S- Stephon GilmoreOT- Bobby Massie
    WR- Mohamed Sanu
    Rd 2-3Rd 3Rd 3-4
    DL- Alameda Ta'amuDL- Derek WolfeWR- Greg Childs
    WR- Marvin JonesDE/OLB- Cam JohnsonWR- Joe Adams
    OLB- Bruce IrvinS- George IlokaOG/OT- Senio Kelemete
    CB- Janoris JenkinsCB- Casey HaywardCB/S- Ron Brooks
    CB- Jayron HosleyDL- Josh Chapman
    CB- Brandon BoykinDE/OLB- Jake Bequette
    WR- Ryan Broyles
    CB- Shaun Prater
    Rd 4Rd's 5-URFARd 1-4:  Keeping an eye on
    WR- Devon WylieOLB- Miles BurrisDL- Hebron Fangupo
    OG- Joe LooneyOLB- Darius FlemingDL- Malik Jackson
    LB- Audie ColeOLB- Vince BrowneDE/OLB- Vinny Curry
    S- Brandon TaylorOLB- Tyler NielsenOLB- Kyle Wilber
    DE/OLB- Brett RoyLB- Nigel Bradham
    DE/OLB- Justin FrancisCB- Chase Minnifield
    DE/OLB- Julian MillerCB- Leonard Johnson
    DE/OLB- Tim FuggerCB- Omar Bolden
    DE/OLB- Louis NzegwuS- Markelle Martin
    DE/OLB- Scott SolomonS- Antonio Allen
    DE/OLB- Jamie BlatnickOT/OG- Jeff Allen
    DE/OLB- Frank AlexanderOT/OG- Tony Bergstrom
    DL- Travian RoberstonOT/OG- Brandon Washington
    DL- JR SweezyOT- Zebrie Sanders
    DL- Markus KuhnOT- Mitchell Schwartz
    DL- Matt ConrathOT- Brandon Mosley
    DL- Taylor ThompsonOG Kevin Zeitler
    DL- Dominique HamiltonOG- Lucas Nix
    DL- Ryan Van BergenC- Phillip Blake
    DL- Ethan JohnsonC- Ben Jones
    DL- Jaye HowardWR- Rueben Randle
    DL- Kheeston RandallWR- Jarius Wright
    DL- Armond ArmsteadWR- Marvin McNutt
    LB- Noah MillerWR- TY Hilton
    LB- Jerry FranklinRB- Chris Polk
    LB- Vontaze BurfictRB- Bernard Pierce
    LB- Tank CarderRB-  Robert Turbin
    LB- DJ HoltRB- Vick Ballard
    LB- Nathan StuparRB- LaMichael James
    S- Brandon HardinRB- Chris Rainey
    S- Jerron McMillianTE- Coby Fleener
    S- Dequan Menzie
    S- Jordan Bernstine
    S- Matt Daniels
    S- Johnson Bademosi
    CB/S- Neiko Thorpe
    CB/S- Robert Blanton
    CB/S- Coryell Judie
    CB- Asa Jackson
    CB- Coty Sensabaugh
    OG/OT- Markus Zusevics
    OG/OT- Nate Potter
    OT/OG- Tom Compton
    OT- Andrew Datko
    OT- Bryce Harris
    OT- Donald Stephenson
    OT- Dennis Kelly
    OG- Adam Gettis
    OG- Desmond Wynn
    C/OG- Quentin Saulsberry
    TE- Brad Herman
    TE- George Bryan
    TE- Chase Ford
    TE- Kevin Koger
    RB- Jonas Gray
    RB- Joe Martinek
    RB- Michael Smith
    RB- Terrance Ganaway
    RB- Brandon Bolden
    RB- Jeremy Stewart
    RB- Davin Meggett
    WR- Danny Coale
    WR- Marquis Maze
    WR- Keyshawn Martin
    WR- TJ Graham
    WR- Kashif Moore
    WR- Chris Owusu
    WR- Aaron Pflugrad
    WR- Tyler Shoemaker
    QB- Ryan Lindley
    QB- Austin Davis
    QB- Dan Persa
    QB- John Brantley 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Personnally, I wouldn't spend a top 15 pick on Barron...the lack of safety talent is driving him up; plus where he played and who he played with.

I really don't see that huge of a difference between him and Smith of ND. Smith actually shows a greater propensity for big plays then Barron and Barron has been hurt.

Who other than Ed Reed is really a game changer? I mean Eric Weddle got a huge contract and in my humble opinion, isn't much....

Would rather take another corner, maybe a bigger one and put them back there to compete with McCourty. The better cover guy plays corner...

Think of some of the best safeties in the game today...Ed Reed, selected 24th, Troy Polamalu 16th, Earl Thomas 14th, Eric Berry (might be good) 5th, and Adrian Wilson - round 3.

Do we think Mark Barron is going to be Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, or even Earl Thomas good?

I don't...so why draft him high....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Personnally, I wouldn't spend a top 15 pick on Barron...the lack of safety talent is driving him up; plus where he played and who he played with. I really don't see that huge of a difference between him and Smith of ND. Smith actually shows a greater propensity for big plays then Barron and Barron has been hurt. Who other than Ed Reed is really a game changer? I mean Eric Weddle got a huge contract and in my humble opinion, isn't much.... Would rather take another corner, maybe a bigger one and put them back there to compete with McCourty. The better cover guy plays corner... Think of some of the best safeties in the game today...Ed Reed, selected 24th, Troy Polamalu 16th, Earl Thomas 14th, Eric Berry (might be good) 5th, and Adrian Wilson - round 3. Do we think Mark Barron is going to be Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, or even Earl Thomas good? I don't...so why draft him high....
    Posted by mcboyd22[/QUOTE]

I've been saying it for months, Mark Barron is one of the best defensive players in this class and is a clear Rd 1 talent, period... he can do it all on the football field and gives a DC a ton of flexibility.  I think he's worth every penny of the 15th pick, assuming he's taken that high.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Now I'm really starting to wonder if this is a smoke screen or not:

"

NFL Network's Albert Breer reports that the Patriots have reached out to the Seahawks about the availability of the No. 12 pick.

Specifically, Breer reported that New England asked "what it would take to get to 12." The Pats certainly have the ammo with two first-round picks and five selections in the top 93. They have nothing after the fourth round, however. NFL Network's Stacey Dales has reported that New England is strongly interested in Syracuse DE Chandler Jones, and he may be their target in any potential move up."

Could they actually be targeting Jones? To move up to #12 it would take both 1sts, that is so against the MO of BB really makes you wonder why if this is a smoke screen. Everyone in the league wouldn't expect this type of move given BB's past

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I think as GM you ask these questions for every pick, so as the draft unwinds you at least have an idea if someone is slipping. Asking is not making the trade.
    I believe a move that high would be for Cox if he slips out of the top ten.
    I don't see it for safety or CB.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

My last mock, I'm not going to give specific picks because I think trades are happening.  Just going to list the players in order drafted.

1.  McClellin OLB - I don't know he makes it to the Pats but if he's available he needs to be the pick.  He's a 4 down player and has the football IQ to be a day one starter.
    2.  Kendall Reyes DE/DT - I think this 2nd pick will happen in the 2nd round so hopping Reyes is still available.  He's another player who can start day one is either 34 or 43.  
    3.  Vinny Curry DE/OLB - Sub pass rusher who will need time to develop cover skills and learn assignments.
    4.  Zebrie Sanders OT - Sanders adds depth and a potential starting OT.  He has experience at LT and RT, has the skills to play LT but needs work.  Strong run blocker, would give Pats the flexibility to move Cannon inside if Waters retires.
    5.  Ron Brooks CB - Could be one of the sleepers in the draft, has had experience at all CB spots at LSU.  Very good cover guy with excellent speed. 
    6.  DeQuan Menzie FS/CB - Menzie is a very good slot CB and a good zone defender who will be able to make the transfer to FS.  
    7.  Malik Jackson DE - sub and 43 DE with good pass rush and also plays well against the run.  Can develop into a 5 technic with added weight.
    8.  Jarius Wright WR - Very good route runner and speed to beat coverage.  
    9.  Korey Toomer OLB - Very athletic OLB, good instincts and can cover TEs or RBs.  Probably a practice squad or special teams candidate.  High upside with development.  Sub package LB who if can develop could be a very good cover LB.  Played OLB, ILB, DE and FB at Idaho State.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!": [QUOTE]Now I'm really starting to wonder if this is a smoke screen or not: " NFL Network's Albert Breer reports that the Patriots have reached out to the Seahawks about the availability of the No. 12 pick. Specifically, Breer reported that New England asked "what it would take to get to 12." The Pats certainly have the ammo with two first-round picks and five selections in the top 93. They have nothing after the fourth round, however. NFL Network's Stacey Dales has reported that New England is strongly interested in Syracuse DE Chandler Jones, and he may be their target in any potential move up." Could they actually be targeting Jones? To move up to #12 it would take both 1sts, that is so against the MO of BB really makes you wonder why if this is a smoke screen. Everyone in the league wouldn't expect this type of move given BB's past Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE] This is worse than Christmas when I use to shake the box that was sitting under the tree 2 weeks before getting to open it. I wouldn't rule a big move up, but please god not for jones. Cox, Barron, brockers, Ingram. I like them all with a move up, but not at the sake of giving up 2 firsts. Has BB ever traded up that high only to trade again a few spots down? Meaning if he is targeting a specific player or two and feels like he needs to be at 12, but things unfold differently causing him to trade down a few spots and maybe pick up a 3rd or something...sounds crazy but can you add by taking away first ?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

[QUOTE]Now I'm really starting to wonder if this is a smoke screen or not: " NFL Network's Albert Breer reports that the Patriots have reached out to the Seahawks about the availability of the No. 12 pick. Specifically, Breer reported that New England asked "what it would take to get to 12." The Pats certainly have the ammo with two first-round picks and five selections in the top 93. They have nothing after the fourth round, however. NFL Network's Stacey Dales has reported that New England is strongly interested in Syracuse DE Chandler Jones, and he may be their target in any potential move up." Could they actually be targeting Jones? To move up to #12 it would take both 1sts, that is so against the MO of BB really makes you wonder why if this is a smoke screen. Everyone in the league wouldn't expect this type of move given BB's past
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

This would terrify me. IMO the only guy in this draft we trade up for is Barron and even then, I wouldnt give up both first for him. The other rumor that scares me is the Pats being linked to Trumaine Johnson at 31. If Harrison Smith is available at 31 and we skip him and take Trumaine Johnson, I swear I will .....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaflentje. Show jaflentje's posts

In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!": [QUOTE]Pats move up trade with Houston, get 26 and have 27th. McClellin and Smith. If not Packers grabs 1 for sure. Need both for that team. Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE] I agree that BB likes back to back pics. Makes sense to me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

from Jason Lacantora, to me this would be a major disapointment unless they worked him out at FS and they feel he can be a day one starter back there.  Doing some reading on him, this might be the option if he's drafted by the Pats. Very experienced, started games as a freshman and has eversince.  Still not a CB who would I would consider a #1 or #2.

Surprise corner for Patriots?

Like others, I expect New England to trade one of its two first-round picks. If they stay at No. 31, though, they have done a lot of work on corners. It would be a surprise, but I continue to hear strong reports on Vandy corner Casey Hayward. New England did a lot of work on him. If New England does deal with Cleveland, and move back atop the second round, then Howard may be in play there as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8289de68/article/2012-nfl-draft-latest-rumblings-from-around-the-league?module=HP11_cp

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

[QUOTE]from Jason Lacantora, to me this would be a major disapointment unless they worked him out at FS and they feel he can be a day one starter back there.  Doing some reading on him, this might be the option if he's drafted by the Pats. Very experienced, started games as a freshman and has eversince.  Still not a CB who would I would consider a #1 or #2. Surprise corner for Patriots? Like others, I expect New England to trade one of its two first-round picks. If they stay at No. 31, though, they have done a lot of work on corners. It would be a surprise, but I continue to hear strong reports on Vandy corner Casey Hayward. New England did a lot of work on him. If New England does deal with Cleveland, and move back atop the second round, then Howard may be in play there as well.   http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8289de68/article/2012-nfl-draft-latest-rumblings-from-around-the-league?module=HP11_cp
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Yeah I have seen that in a few different places. Im much higher on Casey Hayward than you are though. He is a ball hawk and can play both man and zone equally well. Not sure where you get the 'he is not even a no 2' opinion from. If they drafted him at 31, it clearly signals a move to FS for McCourty. I would prefer drafting Harrison Smith and keeping McCourty at CB.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I don't know if I would say Hayward is a ball hawk. He gets knocked on his lack of elite physical attributes, some question his lack of straight line speed, and some have suggested he may be a better fs than cb in the nfl.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Yeah I have seen that in a few different places. Im much higher on Casey Hayward than you are though. He is a ball hawk and can play both man and zone equally well. Not sure where you get the 'he is not even a no 2' opinion from. If they drafted him at 31, it clearly signals a move to FS for McCourty. I would prefer drafting Harrison Smith and keeping McCourty at CB.
    Posted by speedster81[/QUOTE]

I don't like him a press guy and meant in the Pats he wouldn't be a #1 or #2 and for most teams it would be difficult for him to cover receivers down field without safety help.  Doesn't have the speed to sprint down field with fast receivers.

I think his best NFL position is at safety.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!": This is worse than Christmas when I use to shake the box that was sitting under the tree 2 weeks before getting to open it. I wouldn't rule a big move up, but please god not for jones. Cox, Barron, brockers, Ingram. I like them all with a move up, but not at the sake of giving up 2 firsts. Has BB ever traded up that high only to trade again a few spots down? Meaning if he is targeting a specific player or two and feels like he needs to be at 12, but things unfold differently causing him to trade down a few spots and maybe pick up a 3rd or something...sounds crazy but can you add by taking away first ?
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

He wouldn't make the trade if his target wasn't still on the board. The trade won't come until Seattle's on the clock.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I'm going into a pool with buddies on mock drafts, I think I'm about to give some money up. I went crazy, I either come across as a genious or an idiot lol
    in blue are my trades

Pick Team Position Player
    1 Indi QB Andrew Luck
    2 Was QB Robert Griffin III
    3 Minnesota CB Morris Claiborne
    4 NYJ (Cle) RB Trent Richardson
    5 Tampa Bay MLB Luke Kuechly
    6 St. Louis (Was) OT  Matt Kalil
    7 Jacksonville WR Justin Blackmon
    8 Dallas (Mia) S Mark Barron
    9 Carolina CB Stephon Gilmore
    10 Buffalo OT Riley Reiff
    11 Kansas City ILB Donta Hightower
    12 Seattle DE Quinton Couples
    13 Arizona OG David DeCastro
    14 Miami (Dal) DE Melvin Ingram
    15 Philadelphia DT Fletcher Cox
    16 Clev (NYJ) WR Michael Floyd
    17 Cinci (Oak) CB Dre Kirkpatrick
    18 Ten (SD) DE Chandler Jones
    19 Chicago DE Nick Perry
    20 SD (Ten) S Harrison Smith
    21 Cincinnati DE Courtney Upshaw
    22 Cleveland (Atl) OT Jonathan Martin
    23 Detroit CB Janoris Jenkins
    24 Pittsburgh OG Cordy Glenn
    25 Denver QB Ryan Tannehill
    26 Houston WR Stephen hill
    27 NE (NO) OLB Shea McClellin
    28 Green Bay OLB Whitney Mercilus
    29 Mia (Bal) QB Kirk Cousins
    30 San Francisco DE Michael Brockers
    31 St Louis (NE) WR Kendall Wright
    32 NYG OT Mike Adams

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Watched more clips of new players as well as ones already watched, including players on my list in case I had any different opinions come to light. Not really. List stayed mostly the same.

Pure Pass Rushers with VERY quick 1st steps
    Andre Branch
    Bruce Irvin *
    Nick Perry

All around DE/OLB types
    Vinny Curry
    Chandler Jones
    Shea McClellin
    Ronnell Lewis
    Donte Hightower

DT/DE types
    Michael Brockers
    Devon Still
    Brandon Thompson
    Kendall Reyes
    Derek Wolfe
    Jared Crick

Safeties
    Mark Barron
    Harrison SMith
    Brandon Taylor

Running Backs
    David Wilson
    Doug Martin
    Isaiah Pead
    LaMichael James *
    Chris Polk

Inside Linebackers
    James-Michael Johnson
    Tank Carder
    Miles Burris

Linemen
    Amini Silatolu
    Bobby Massie
    Kevin Zeitler

DB
    Stephon Gilmore
    Janoris Jenkins *
    Josh Robinson
    Casey Hayward
    Jamell Flemming
    Brandon Boykin

Receivers
    Mohamed Sanu
    Marvin Jones
    Danny Coale
    Jarius Wright
    Greg Childs
    Chris Givens
    Devon Wiley

Good but knuckleheads *

Wished I could have found more film on
    Jack Crawford
    Coty Sensabaugh
    Justin Bethel
    Jeron McMillian

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Low...is your list in order of rank at each position? Who do you see the Pata drafting with their first 4 picks? Whats your preference?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

1 Hour to go!