***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!

Here are some names that I'll be following on Day 2:

(Updated 2:02 PM EST)

DB:

Josh Robinson
    Jayron Hosley
    Ron Brooks
    Casey Hayward
    Janoris Jenkins
    George Iloka
    Brandon Taylor
    Brandon Boykin
    Shaun Prater
    Chase Minnifield

LB:

Courtney Upshaw
    Ronnell Lewis

DE/OLB:

Vinny Curry

DL:

Kendall Reyes
    Alameda Ta'amu
    Derek Wolfe
    Brandon Thompson
    Josh Chapman

Offense:

Amini Silatolu- OG
    Senio Kelemete-OG
    Joe Looney-OG
    Bobby Massie- OT
    Jonathan Martin- OT
    Alshon Jeffery-WR
    Marvin Jones- WR
    Rueben Randle- WR
    Mohamed Sanu-WR
    Greg Childs-WR
    Joe Adams-WR
    Ryan Broyles-WR
    Devon Wylie-WR
    Lamichael James- RB
    Lamar Miller- RB
    Vick Ballard- RB

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!": [QUOTE]How come nobody like Kheeston Randall as a 5 technic?  He's a space eater with a strong anchor.  At Texas he's role was to eat up those blocks allow LBs to make plays.  I think he could be available for the Pats if they get a 5th.   Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE] I like him just fine, but we already have a deaderick type of player. Do you think Randall upgrades Pryor or deaderick? I don't. If we grab another de or kid that can slide inside as well, my vote would be Wolfe, still or Winn. I think that trio can do both and represent a better skill set than our current 5 tech guys maybe less fanene.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!": [QUOTE]Here are some names that I'll be following on Day 2: DB: Josh Robinson Jayron Hosley Ron Brooks Casey Hayward Janoris Jenkins George Iloka Brandon Taylor Brandon Boykin Shaun Prater Chase Minnifield DL: Kendall Reyes Alameda Ta'amu Derek Wolfe Josh Chapman Offense: Amini Silatolu- OG Senio Kelemete-OG Joe Looney-OG Bobby Massie- OT Alshon Jeffery-WR Marvin Jones- WR Mohamed Sanu-WR Greg Childs-WR Joe Adams-WR Ryan Broyles-WR Devon Wylie-WR Lamichael James- RB Vick Ballard- RB Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE] Nice list....did you cool on Winn?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!:
    [QUOTE]I know I potentially love it, currently like it a bit.  Wish there was less injury history and really wanted Upshaw.  But at the same time, I trust BB and his scouts more than my ability to scout.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

I thought the same between Upshaw and Hightower a few weeks ago, meaning was preffering Upshaw then started comparing the two.  Both are essentially the same player height weight, speed Hightower is a bit faster. 

Hightower also was calling Ds and making adjustments in Saban's D formations.  He can do it all IMO, this is a huge pickup. 

I've said for years, I love LBs think they are the backbone of any team they are the enforcers and NE's never scared anyone.  Boy that's about to change.  I also really like now that they picked up Scott and Carpenter. Scott specially, I didn't like him as an everydown player but as a rotational guy to rush he has the speed and pass rush ability to make a difference.  

Really excited about the D.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!": Nice list....did you cool on Winn?
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Thanks, man.

I think he's more of a 1 gap prospect, though I wouldn't be pissed if they took him.  I'm more focused on Reyes/Wolfe.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!": I like him just fine, but we already have a deaderick type of player. Do you think Randall upgrades Pryor or deaderick? I don't. If we grab another de or kid that can slide inside as well, my vote would be Wolfe, still or Winn. I think that trio can do both and represent a better skill set than our current 5 tech guys maybe less fanene.

I think he's an upgrade over both specially Deaderick as a 34 DE.  Randall's best play is eating up blocks, very solid against double teams.  He was often doubled at Texas, screams 34 DE with upside to develop as an interior rusher.  Ran well in shorts for what it's worth, 5.0 40.
    He is also an excellent character kid, very active in the community and considered a leader in the locker room.  He has the type of personality I like to see in the Pats roster.  Will do what ever its asked and work to improve.  I think he can be a solid starter and develop his pass rush abilities.
    He was listed at the combine as a NT at 293 lbs because of his ability to hold at the POA, great leverage.  Did 28 reps at 225, not great but with his leverage and arm length wins battles on the line.

I preffer Reyes or Wolfe but if the Pats decide to go DB early and move back to gain picks Randall and Malik Jackson are options that I like.  Jackson its a better pass rusher than Randall but not as strong at the POA.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : I think he's an upgrade over both specially Deaderick as a 34 DE.  Randall's best play is eating up blocks, very solid against double teams.  He was often doubled at Texas, screams 34 DE with upside to develop as an interior rusher.  Ran well in shorts for what it's worth, 5.0 40. He is also an excellent character kid, very active in the community and considered a leader in the locker room.  He has the type of personality I like to see in the Pats roster.  Will do what ever its asked and work to improve.  I think he can be a solid starter and develop his pass rush abilities. He was listed at the combine as a NT at 293 lbs because of his ability to hold at the POA, great leverage.  Did 28 reps at 225, not great but with his leverage and arm length wins battles on the line. I preffer Reyes or Wolfe but if the Pats decide to go DB early and move back to gain picks Randall and Malik Jackson are options that I like.  Jackson its a better pass rusher than Randall but not as strong at the POA. Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE] Logical. I think a lot of us want either Wolfe or Reyes. Any departing thoughts on still? He is still hanging around too. I would like to walk out of round 2 with Wolfe and Robinson/Johnson/Hosley , then as PatsEng suggests, some type of jackknife like Rainey later that can do it all. I still think it would be good if we can get a decent quality WR in this draft given there are so many left.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!": Logical. I think a lot of us want either Wolfe or Reyes. Any departing thoughts on still? He is still hanging around too. I would like to walk out of round 2 with Wolfe and Robinson/Johnson/Hosley , then as PatsEng suggests, some type of jackknife like Rainey later that can do it all. I still think it would be good if we can get a decent quality WR in this draft given there are so many left.

I don't know why Still just doesn't really appeal to me, I really couldn't give you a good reason just doesn't. 

I'm thinking 48 is for sale actually both 48 and 63.  I think Pats can move into 3rd and 4th and pickup what they need.  The DT/DEs are graded so closely together that's prefference who you want to pick.

There's going to be a huge run at OL and WRs IMO, some of these guys will get pushed into the 3rd round.  I think two DBs the Pats can convert to FS are Hayward and Brooks both can be had in the 3rd.

On the DL Wolfe IMO drops into the 3rd because of all the other positions that are going to be runs on.  There will probably be 5 or 6 WRs picked, 6 or 7 OL, 2 RBs at least, 2 TEs so when you start adding all these positions there will be some guys who drop.

Not to mention LBs, there are probably 7 or 8 rated as 2nd round between 34 and 43 LBs. 

Who it might play out 48 they drop back to 50s pickup a 4th maybe a 3rd, then drop back into the 3rd from there and add another 3rd or 4th same with the 63.

So you can end up with 2 or 3 3rd round, 2 4th round and can still get IMO 
    DL Wolfe, Winn, Randall, Bequette, Taamu, *Hicks (HUGE ?)

S Hayward, Brooks, Martin, Menzie, Minnifield

CB Omar Bolden this guy could had been a 1st round pick but tore his ACL before the start of the season, he has excellent cover skills.  IF healthy and the Pats can pick him up in the 3rd or 4th he would push for a starting job or could move to FS.  
    Chris Greenwood, Hosley, Wade

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

What's up guys?  I still can't believe we got Jones and Hightower yesterday.  Huge improvements for our D!  Like many of you, I think we use one of our 2nds today and trade the other for a 3rd & 4th.  I would be thrilled if we only made 3 more picks this draft, but made them count.  Personally, I don't see much of a point in drafting many late-round guys this year.  Our roster is already pretty stacked, and I believe that the talent level of this draft falls off pretty quick after the top 100 players or so.  Let's hope Day 2 goes as well as Day 1 did!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]I have a funny feeling that some players will be traded fairly soon with the Pats. The players I think most likely to be traded are: Brace - for a 6th or 7th round pick Arrington - for a 4th or 5th round pick Mallett - for a 2nd or early 3rd round pick Hoyer - for a 4th or 5th round pick Cunningham - for a 6th or 7th round pick Edelman - for a 5th or 6th round pick I just can't see BB going into day 3 without any picks
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Great post, Eng.  Any one of these deals could happen if BB sees a guys he likes falling.  I highly doubt that Mallet gets dealt, but you never know.  Of the bunch, I think Hoyer getting dealt for a 4-5 rounder is the most likely.  We shall see.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

[QUOTE]I have a funny feeling that some players will be traded fairly soon with the Pats. The players I think most likely to be traded are: Brace - for a 6th or 7th round pick Arrington - for a 4th or 5th round pick Mallett - for a 2nd or early 3rd round pick Hoyer - for a 4th or 5th round pick Cunningham - for a 6th or 7th round pick Edelman - for a 5th or 6th round pick I just can't see BB going into day 3 without any picks

LOL you'd be lucky to get a roll of tape for Cunningham.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : LOL you'd be lucky to get a roll of tape for Cunningham.
    Posted by sml1210[/QUOTE]

That's essentially a 7th round pick lol. 7th round picks in football are traded like PTBNL in baseball or cash consideration. It's typically picks that you use to acquire players that had high upside but didn't live up to their potential

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Some trades last year and compensation around the picks NE owns in round 2

Houston Texans: Acquire No. 60 pick in 2011

New England Patriots: Acquire picks No. 73 and No. 138 in 2011

Miami Dolphins: Acquire No. 62 pick in 2011

Washington Redskins: Acquire picks No. 79, No. 146 and No. 217 in 2011

Indianapolis Colts: Acquire No. 49 pick in 2011

Washington Redskins: Acquire picks No. 53 and No. 152 in 2011

Chicago Bears: Acquire No. 53 pick in 2011

Washington Redskins: Acquire picks No. 62 and No. 127 in 2011

Miami Dolphins: Acquire No. 62 pick in 2011

Washington Redskins: Acquire picks No. 79, No. 146 and No. 217 in 2011

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Some trades last year and compensation around the picks NE owns in round 2 Houston Texans :  Acquire No. 60 pick in 2011 New England Patriots :  Acquire picks No. 73 and No. 138 in 2011   Miami Dolphins :  Acquire No. 62 pick in 2011 Washington Redskins :  Acquire picks No. 79, No. 146 and No. 217 in 2011   Indianapolis Colts :  Acquire No. 49 pick in 2011 Washington Redskins :  Acquire picks No. 53 and No. 152 in 2011   Chicago Bears :  Acquire No. 53 pick in 2011 Washington Redskins :  Acquire picks No. 62 and No. 127 in 2011   Miami Dolphins :  Acquire No. 62 pick in 2011 Washington Redskins :  Acquire picks No. 79, No. 146 and No. 217 in 2011
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

That seems right and about what the Pats would be looking for trading a 2nd I believe. A pick in the back of the 2nd or early 3rd and a 4th for #48 and a pick in the mid-back 3rd and one in the 4th or early 5th for #63

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]How come nobody like Kheeston Randall as a 5 technic?  He's a space eater with a strong anchor.  At Texas he's role was to eat up those blocks allow LBs to make plays.  I think he could be available for the Pats if they get a 5th.  
    I like Randall, was talking him up a week ago at 93 or 126.  But with only a pair of seconds left, unless we trade down, I don't see the value.  I like Martin or Wolfe at 62 and Reyes, Still or Worthy at 48 if they happens to last.  But, we still have that glaring need at FS and assuming DM's the answer, we have a glaring need at CB.  So I think Jenkins at 62.

If we feel Jenkins will be there at 62 then we can have fun with 48.  We can trade it for a 3rd this year and 1st or 2nd next year or take a play maker like LaMichael James, Rueben Randle, Alshon Jeffrey, Stephen Hill or we can get a little more depth for the OL if Konz, Silatulo, Masse or Adams.  Or we could double down on pass rushers with Curry or Branch.  A lot of options still in play.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

The more I think about Jenkins and remember how much he shut down Julio Jones and A.J. Green and plenty of other SEC #1 receivers the more I say take him at 48.

Imagine the flexibility to then have DM or Dowling move to FS, in nickle Jenkins takes the #1 receiver, dowling #2, Arrington #3 and DM to FS.  One pick gives them a ton of options, not including Moore who I think will only get better and Will Alles who can still play slot CB at a very high level.

He just scares the heck out of me but he is a shut down corner.  If the locker room in NE strong enough to control a player like that?  I think so, Will Allen would be a great mentor IMO.  Big VW would squash him if he gets out of line.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : I like Randall, was talking him up a week ago at 93 or 126.  But with only a pair of seconds left, unless we trade down, I don't see the value.  I like Martin or Wolfe at 62 and Reyes, Still or Worthy at 48 if they happens to last.  But, we still have that glaring need at FS and assuming DM's the answer, we have a glaring need at CB.  So I think Jenkins at 62. If we feel Jenkins will be there at 62 then we can have fun with 48.  We can trade it for a 3rd this year and 1st or 2nd next year or take a play maker like LaMichael James, Rueben Randle, Alshon Jeffrey, Stephen Hill or we can get a little more depth for the OL if Konz, Silatulo, Masse or Adams.  Or we could double down on pass rushers with Curry or Branch.  A lot of options still in play.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Randall I like in late 4th or 5th round, I do think BB will be trading either of the 2nd rounds or maybe move back a bit with both pickup some ammo day 3.

Randall IMO has the ability to play 34 DE day one.  I might be crazy, but strongest play right now is power and leverage holding up against double teams.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Gotta come out of the 2nd with more flexibility in the secondary. Jenkins, if he wants to take a chance with moving someone else to FS, or maybe Taylor, but we need more talent in the DBackfield.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Randall I like in late 4th or 5th round, I do think BB will be trading either of the 2nd rounds or maybe move back a bit with both pickup some ammo day 3. Randall IMO has the ability to play 34 DE day one.  I might be crazy, but strongest play right now is power and leverage holding up against double teams.

I agree with Randall as a Rd 4-7 kid, think Day 2 is too high or him.  Very good 2 gap potential, good motor, good size/length and leadership, but isn't nearly the athlete of say Reyes or Wolfe, etc.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : I agree with Randall as a Rd 4-7 kid, think Day 2 is too high or him.  Very good 2 gap potential, good motor, good size/length and leadership, but isn't nearly the athlete of say Reyes or Wolfe, etc.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%, round 4 good pickup and as a DE in a 34 where he will need to set the edge and take on double teams I think he's an upgrade over anyone on the team right now because that's his strength and excels IMO doing that.  Great character kid, works hard, envolved in the community ect but limited in pass rush as a DT.  If he can develop and get better at his pass rush as an interior rusher I think he's a 3 down DE/DT.

I really like Reyes, I like him more than Still but I don't know if he makes it to 48.  If he does I take Reyes at 48, trade back with 62 a few times because I believe in this draft there's some quality players into the 5th round specially if you are looking at an OT/OG type late.

Also WRs, I love Jarius Wright I hope the Pats are able to get him. I've also talked up Marvin Jones for a long time, both of these are my WR choices and both should be available late 3rd and into the 4th.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I'm going to assume the Pats have a list of guys they hope drop to 48, if none of them do then I can see them trading down 6-10 spots and getting a 4th rd pick back or 9-14 spots and getting a 3rd rd pick back.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]I'm going to assume the Pats have a list of guys they hope drop to 48, if none of them do then I can see them trading down 6-10 spots and getting a 4th rd pick back or 9-14 spots and getting a 3rd rd pick back.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm thinking, I think the list because of some of the players that fell out of round 1 is more than just a couple.  He's who I figure they would have:

Reyes
    Still maybe they like more than I do
    Cordy Glenn
    Jonathan Martin 
    Upshaw, could they take a third LB? Imagine Upshaw, Mayo, Spikes, Hightower  just sick! Or Hightower Mayo Upshaw/Nink/Carpenter  front four Jones VW Fanene Scott
    Randle
    Boykin 
    Jenkins with ?, I have to take him at 48 and assign him a babysitter.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

According to Manza (so take it with a huge grain of salt) the Pats are targeting RB and DB. I can't see RB over say WR but if they player they want are gone when they pick then they will most definitely trade backwards. My guess would be if they trade back #48 that they would be more open to using #63 on a DT and if they trade back #63 then they might look at an additional WR in later rounds

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]According to Manza (so take it with a huge grain of salt) the Pats are targeting RB and DB. I can't see RB over say WR but if they player they want are gone when they pick then they will most definitely trade backwards. My guess would be if they trade back #48 that they would be more open to using #63 on a DT and if they trade back #63 then they might look at an additional WR in later rounds

Assuming they go RB, I'm hoping to see LaMichael or Lamar or Vick... or maybe Polk, etc... particularly LaMichael, that kid is electric.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Assuming they go RB, I'm hoping to see LaMichael or Lamar or Vick... or maybe Polk, etc... particularly LaMichael, that kid is electric.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about LaMichael. Yes the kid is electric but when you break down his numbers most of them came against some pretty weak college D's. Against SEC teams he had poor performances. He's also always dinged up and give his smaller size that could be a huge red flag for his long term durability.

Miller might be a possibility though. I mean a 5'11" 215 kid that runs a sub 4.4

No thank you on Polk. It might be unfair but after watching him in the senior bowl the kid looked lost to me. He looked slow, didn't make quick decision, wasn't the best CoD, and in blitz pickup he looked like a HS kid against Bama