***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!

Now that I like.  Bequette is a real solid football player.  I don't care if he's a tweener, he has a nose for the ball and he's smart and tough and likes to hit QBs. This helps make up for 48, a little bit.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!:
    [QUOTE]Now that I like.  Bequette is a real solid football player.  I don't care if he's a tweener, he has a nose for the ball and he's smart and tough and likes to hit QBs. This helps make up for 48, a little bit.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

a lil bit in that at least hes a good player.
    but how many edge guys?
    pass on dt's thompson?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]With this draft it leads me to think we'll see a bunch of 43 next year. Fanena/Bequette    Wilfork  Love/Deadrick    Jones/Nink               Mayo            Spikes          Hightower Bring back Carter to train the young guys and grab another vet DB
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

agreed about bringing in a db

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

As for Tavor have to wait and see but Safties like Harrison Smith and Brandon Taylor didn't have any better measurables, over all, at least.

Kid could be bethal Johnson, bust no one heard of really.

Kid could be Russ Francis awesome who no one really heard of.

I know i didn't really hear anyone talking much about Mayo before Pats took him and until the leaked rumor of Mankins never heard anyone mention him.

Just have to wait and see.

Love all the competition at DE/LB. Should be great battles for roster spots just like at WR.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Now that I look at my formation setup Mayo, Hightower, and Spikes all solid against the run and Hightower and Mayo can both cover. This hides Jones weakness against the run letting him focus on pass rushing and pinning his ears back (has been said he's much better when he can focus on one target and not have to over think). Still with that kind of formation you need a coverage S and I just don't see that in Wilson. Maybe, they se Moore or McCourty as the starting FS with Gregory as backup and Chung being backed up by Wilson?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Well I said BB wanted a strong locker room without distraction and headaches (reason I felt he wouldn't grab Jenkins among others) and so far this draft he's followed that trend with high character leadership players

it does seem like they did go with that.
    but like micheal irvin says. a team isnt fiulled with choir boys.
    cunningham vs dunlop, etc
    if we can win ill be happy.
    but id rather have a shutdown corner than the best person.
    if we checked on jenkins and maded an assesment after talking to him 9and references), id be happy we didnt get him

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : a lil bit in that at least hes a good player. but how many edge guys? pass on dt's thompson?
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]
    I think if Cunningham breaks a nail scratching his balls, he will get cut.  The guy has done nothing, reminds me of that 3rd round bum we got out of Michigan awhile back.  Jake Bequette is wayyyyy better getting off the bus than I ever saw Cunningham being.  Scott should be fighting hard for a job.  His injury past is longer than a Janoris Jenkins rap sheet.

I don't think we need another DT.  Not as a top need, and certainly not now at this point in the draft.  I say take a solid O player, ST type, Adams, Hilton, etc.  Might have to move up now, or just flat out trade it for a 4th next year and call it a wrap.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]Now that I look at my formation setup Mayo, Hightower, and Spikes all solid against the run and Hightower and Mayo can both cover. This hides Jones weakness against the run letting him focus on pass rushing and pinning his ears back (has been said he's much better when he can focus on one target and not have to over think). Still with that kind of formation you need a coverage S and I just don't see that in Wilson. Maybe, they se Moore or McCourty as the starting FS with Gregory as backup and Chung being backed up by Wilson?

See I read the opposite from another source. I read he is a pure FS who doesn't love to be physical or in the box.

I also read too what you read from another location.

This is why I say we have to wait and see cause I don't think people know what they are talking about half the time that do these write ups.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I'm not sure I understand what is going on with Brace. He did the whole PUP thing then they would bring him in on goal line and not much after.

With the personnel they have brought in and acquired the last couple of years I would think that would only help him since he played and was very good at BC playing in the 4-3.

I'm still hoping.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

If they were going to draft Bequette I think they should have drafted Vinny Curry at 48 and then draft Brandon Thompson at 90.  Wilson would be available in the 5th round if they liked him that much.  Belichick talks a lot about value and that wasn't very good value at 48.  Like all of you I was scratching my head but I'm going to give this Wilson kid a chance.  He seems like a really good kid what a good work ethic.  Bequette seems like a decent pick but the second day of the draft could have been planned out a lot better than it was.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]Now that I like.  Bequette is a real solid football player.  I don't care if he's a tweener, he has a nose for the ball and he's smart and tough and likes to hit QBs. This helps make up for 48, a little bit.

The horrid Wilson pick at #48, and the poor value trade-down from pick #62 ruined what could have been an outstanding draft. BB might as well have taken his two second rounders and tossed them in trash...because trash is what he got in exchange. Wilson is the next Terrence Wheatley/Darius Butler...and Bequette at #90 is hardly worth what the Pats could have gotten at #62. The joy and enthusiasm generated in day one was ripped away today by this BB fiasco. Just awful.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Just a thought, Pats have seen first hand how much pressure the Giants get with their Nascar package, well I give you Hightower, Jones, Bequette, Scott with Mayo Nink as LB Dowling RCB Arrington SCB DM LCB  Chung SS Gregory FS

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I starting to think BB is trying to rebuild the 00-05 LB core:

Mayo -> Bruschi
    Jones/Bequette -> Willie 
    Fletcher -> Phifer
    Spikes -> Johnson
    Hightower/Nink -> Vrable

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]Just a thought, Pats have seen first hand how much pressure the Giants get with their Nascar package, well I give you Hightower, Jones, Bequette, Scott with Mayo Nink as LB Dowling RCB Arrington SCB DM LCB  Chung SS Gregory FS
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Could have given us Hightower, Jones, Curry, and Thompson instead. Now that would have been a draft! But...nay!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! :      The horrid Wilson pick at #48, and the poor value trade-down from pick #62 ruined what could have been an outstanding draft. BB might as well have taken his two second rounders and tossed them in trash...because trash is what he got in exchange. Wilson is the next Terrence Wheatley/Darius Butler...and Bequette at #90 is hardly woth what the Pats could have gotten at #62. The joy and enthusiasm generated in day one was ripped away today by this BB fiasco. Just awful.
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

If they get a top end KR with the 5th tomorrow then I'd say they got good value of Bequette and a KR (returns were a major weakness last year) for #62.

You can't hit on every pick but if they could get at least Eugene Wilson or T Jones production from Wilson I'll be happy enough. But even if they don't then I still think it was a great draft, provided that Jones, Hoghtower, and Bequette live up to their potential

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : I think if Cunningham breaks a nail scratching his balls, he will get cut.  The guy has done nothing, reminds me of that 3rd round bum we got out of Michigan awhile back.  Jake Bequette is wayyyyy better getting off the bus than I ever saw Cunningham being.  Scott should be fighting hard for a job.  His injury past is longer than a Janoris Jenkins rap sheet. I don't think we need another DT.  Not as a top need, and certainly not now at this point in the draft.  I say take a solid O player, ST type, Adams, Hilton, etc.  Might have to move up now, or just flat out trade it for a 4th next year and call it a wrap.

hilton is goen, is adams still there. got too depressed to listen for a while..
    im jsut glad we made a pick
    i agree on teh offense/kr

rainey might be one of teh few left (offesne adn kr). i will have to check

scott may be a waste or others as i dont see all teh edge players playing.

agree on cuningham. my opinion of him never changed.

do like bequette as a player

dt i thought more than another edge guy.

i didnt mean after this pick (i meant as opposed to)

any big wrs left?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]If they were going to draft Bequette I think they should have drafted Vinny Curry at 48 and then draft Brandon Thompson at 90.  Wilson would be available in the 5th round if they liked him that much.  Belichick talks a lot about value and that wasn't very good value at 48.  Like all of you I was scratching my head but I'm going to give this Wilson kid a chance.  He seems like a really good kid what a good work ethic.  Bequette seems like a decent pick but the second day of the draft could have been planned out a lot better than it was.
    Posted by PatsNut5480[/QUOTE]

+1

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i like the bequette pick....

this makes me wonder if bb wants to experiment with something exotic to cure their 3rd and long woes

a nwe version of nyg's nascar front (4 pass rushing DEs)

nink 255 
    fanene 292
    bequette 274
    jones 266

or something like... 2-5-4?

i believe they still go 3-4 on first two downs

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I'm giving the FS the benefit of doubt, only time will tell.  So far I like what was drafted I don't get the player picked but they needed a FS so he was worked out by the Pats (patriots.com has a phone interview with him) they must had seen something.  HE was worked out by a number of teams so you never know what went on, for now I haven't seen film didn't see much (any) Illinois games so I take BB and staff's on this one.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! :      The horrid Wilson pick at #48, and the poor value trade-down from pick #62 ruined what could have been an outstanding draft. BB might as well have taken his two second rounders and tossed them in trash...because trash is what he got in exchange. Wilson is the next Terrence Wheatley/Darius Butler...and Bequette at #90 is hardly woth what the Pats could have gotten at #62. The joy and enthusiasm generated in day one was ripped away today by this BB fiasco. Just awful.
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

+11

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]Just a thought, Pats have seen first hand how much pressure the Giants get with their Nascar package, well I give you Hightower, Jones, Bequette, Scott with Mayo Nink as LB Dowling RCB Arrington SCB DM LCB  Chung SS Gregory FS
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

u beat me to it

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Not a huge fan of grades, but I'll go ahead and do them to start:

Jones: A: Good pick, Big-time potential
    Hightower: A: Another stud
    Wilson: C-: Not a fan, but I'll give BB the benefit of the doubt
    Bequette: B+: Like the player but I think we should have gone DT/DE.  No complaints though.

Overall: B+/B

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

34 underclassmen taken in 1st 3 rounds. That is the most ever taken in 1st 3 rounds

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]34 underclassmen taken in 1st 3 rounds. That is the most ever taken in 1st 3 rounds
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

cash premium for being a high pick is lower. there isn't much benefit to waiting longer in school to get picked higher. kids are starting to figure that they might as well start milking earlier. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Pats don't pick again for about two rounds worth of picks... Came up with about one round worth of commonly known names that have been mentioned through out the process in some capacity on here.

Bobby Massie
    Lamar Miller
    Alameda Ta'amu
    Ronnell Lewis
    Brandon Boykin
    Jared Crick
    Chris Polk
    Ben Jones
    Josh Chapman
    George Iloka
    Robert Turbin
    Marvin Jones