***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!

Bobby Massie
    Lamar Miller
    Alameda Ta'amu
    Ronnell Lewis
    Brandon Boykin
    Jared Crick
    Chris Polk
    Ben Jones
    Josh Chapman
    George Iloka

Good God we could have traded down from 48 and gotten an early 3rd, 4th and 6th, had any TWO of those players listed above and then taken Wilson

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

So frustrating

I bet we could have turned picks 48 and 62 into Massie, Ta'amu, Miller.... any one of them worthy of pick 48 over Wilson

then still gotten a 5th/6th to nab Wilson

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Troy Brown:  (Paraphrased) And with the 48th pick in the 2012 NFL draft, the New England Patriots select...

Me:  Josh Robinson, Kendall Reyes, Josh Robinson, Kendall Reyes...

Troy Brown:  ... Tavon Wilson, Safety from Illinios.

Me:  Who the f()ck is Tavon Wilson?!

*Calmer heads prevailed and BB must be given the benefit of the doubt... we'll see... further research must be done on this kid.

*Wasn't a huge fan of the value they got back for 62... seemed a bit light.

*The Bequette pick (which I like a lot, had him as a Rd 3-4 kid on my board) certainly appears to signal a shift to more 43, but gives them depth/size/length/pass rush ability on the edge to play 34... some solid athleticism and versatility.

*I will hold out hope that the Rd 5 pick nets Ron Brooks (prob gone in Rd 4) or Danny Coale or Miles Burris, or Robert Blanton or Shaun Prater or Coty Sensabaugh or heck, reach on Jonas Gray...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!:
    [QUOTE]Not a huge fan of grades, but I'll go ahead and do them to start: Jones: A: Good pick, Big-time potential Hightower: A: Another stud Wilson: C-: Not a fan, but I'll give BB the benefit of the doubt Bequette: B+: Like the player but I think we should have gone DT/DE.  No complaints though. Overall: B+/B
    Posted by titletownfan[/QUOTE]

Jones: A
         Hightower A
         Wilson F-
         Bequette C- (could and should have gotten a better player at #62)

As grand as day one was...day two was God-awful. Wilson reach and pick 62 trade-down were inexplicably bad moves. They turned what could have been a fabulous draft into an average one. Horrendous decisions by BB to reach for a positional need at safety, rather than take the best player available. Even if Wilson turns out to be a good player, he likely could have been had in round 7. Yet, BB spent the 48th overall pick on him. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

The only time I can recall being this disappointed in a casting choice (the Wilson pick) is when I went to Godfather III and had to watch Coppola's daughter play Micheal Corleone's daughter and then on top of that watch George "Perfect Tan" Hamilton play the consigliere.
    THis is just really bad casting. And you gotta believe this kid reads these boards and has to come to town with a Buckner cloud over his head. This is just so bad all the way around.
    I can't believe the PR savvy Kraft family would approve of this. I mean I know there are a ton of Bellichick cultists out there...but how can any draft or Pats fan be happy with this much of a reach?
    Aaaahhhh, all these months discussing value and such and the genius reaches into a fishbowl and picks a name out. Might as well have.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

why does nfl.com have jones listed as 247 lbs?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]The only time I can recall being this disappointed in a casting choice (the Wilson pick) is when I went to Godfather III and had to watch Coppola's daughter play Micheal Corleone's daughter and then on top of that watch George "Perfect Tan" Hamilton play the consigliere. THis is just really bad casting. And you gotta believe this kid reads these boards and has to come to town with a Buckner cloud over his head. This is just so bad all the way around. I can't believe the PR savvy Kraft family would approve of this. I mean I know there are a ton of Bellichick cultists out there...but how can any draft or Pats fan be happy with this much of a reach? Aaaahhhh, all these months discussing value and such and the genius reaches into a fishbowl and picks a name out. Might as well have.
    Posted by pumpsiefan[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. Tonight was was a major disappointment.

Rather than trying to fill a specific need at safety, and forcing a valueless trade-down to obtain an extra pick, BB would have been far better off trying to trade down at #48...and/or simply using the two picks to take the best players available, at any position of need (CB, DT, RB, WR, OL).  

You can't tell me that Wilson qualifies as the best player available.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

too much overreaction over the wilson pick...

step back. big picture is the d personnel is improved. even with a "hole" at s, they have all the people they need to more quickly get off the field.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Pats don't pick again for about two rounds worth of picks... Came up with about one round worth of commonly known names that have been mentioned through out the process in some capacity on here. Bobby Massie Lamar Miller Alameda Ta'amu Ronnell Lewis Brandon Boykin Jared Crick Chris Polk Ben Jones Josh Chapman George Iloka Robert Turbin Marvin Jones Joe Adams Marvin McNutt James-Michael Johnson Josh Norman Omar Boldin Ron Brooks Joe Looney Shaun Prater Senio Kelemente Leonard Johnson Jarius Wright Phillip Blake Greg Childs Devon Wylie Chris Rainey Vick Ballard Miles Burris Chris Givens Danny Coale
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

i dotn see it happening but id like mcnutt or childs

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]Hope BB gets drilled at his presser tonight ... weak ars press corp will wilt ... wont be any follow-up questions regarding the sheer ineptitude of taking this super reach...  With every worthy pick going to rivals Im gettin even more pizzed off  ...   If this was any other GM we'd be calling the guy a major DOOOOOO sh
    Posted by CaptnFoxboro[/QUOTE]

I wonder what those defending the Wilson pick would be saying, if the Jets had made this pick...LOL!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! :      I wonder what those defending the Wilson pick would be saying, if the Jets had made this pick...LOL!!!
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

Al Davis/Mike Mitchell did pop into my head as I was trying to figure out what just happened.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Funniest part of the night.

My buddy was in the other room getting a beer as it was announced that NE had traded pick 62. 

Me:  NE just made a trade.

My Buddy:  Hopefully they traded Tavon Wilson

Had a hearty chuckle with that one.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Wish we used the pick on Troy Brown.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

Another tragic thing about the Wilson pick was that it was announced by Troy Brown. Whenever I've thought about Troy previously, visions of his punt return for a TD in the 2001 AFC title game in Pittsburgh, and his SB catch on a crossing pattern to set up the winning FG in SB 36, came to mind. Now...those memories will be replaced by him announcing, "the Patriots have selected safety Tavon Wilson". Augggghhhhh!!!!    

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Wilson just another pick in a long line surprises, some more than others

Will be interesting to see how it works out. 7 teams brought Wilson in for "official" visits. Don't always pay super close attention to official visits but do teams really bring in UDFA types for official visits? They might, I have no idea.

Mayo
    Mankins
    Vollmer
    Slater
    B. Johnson
    M. Carter

Just have to assume his pro day and private workout with the Pats was impressive. I hope.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]Wilson just another pick in a long line surprises, some more than others Will be interesting to see how it works out. 7 teams brought Wilson in for "official" visits. Don't always pay super close attention to official visits but do teams really bring in UDFA types for official visits? They might, I have no idea. Mayo Mankins Vollmer Slater B. Johnson M. Carter Just have to assume his pro day and private workout with the Pats was impressive. I hope.

I'm with you, I haven't seen film didn't see the kid in workouts, no combine so for this DB have to wait and see.  He sounded in his radio interview like he got some pretty good attention at his pro day and private workouts.

Situational football, this kid to me excelled so much at something that BB and staff recognized a role.  I might had drank some coolaid earlier but for now I'm not letting the one pick overshadow what has been a very good draft.

The DL and LBs has been improved, specially the sub and 43 package.  I really like Bequette, this kid I've liked for a long time and I think he's a better athlete than given credit for as I written before, led the SEC in sacks enough said. Solid player who can play multiple positions, same with Jones and Hightower.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Players I hope to see BB target on Day 2:

Ron BrooksCB
    Shaun Prater CB
    Coty SensabaughCB
    Omar BoldenCB
    Leonard JohnsonCB
    Chase MinnifieldCB
    Brandon BoykinCB
    Robert Blanton  S
    Jordan BernstineS
    Neiko ThorpeS
    Coryell JudieS
    George IlokaS
    Alameda Ta'amuDL
    Hebron FangupoDL
    Matt ConrathDL
    Armond ArmsteadDL
    Travian RobertsonDL
    Kheeston RandallDL
    Taylor ThompsonDL
    Ronnell LewisLB
    Miles BurrisLB
    Danny Coale WR
    Greg ChildsWR
    Marvin JonesWR
    Joe AdamsWR
    Jarious WrightWR
    Devon WylieWR
    Marquis MazeWR
    Keyshawn MartinWR
    Quentin SaulsberryC/OG
    Phillip BlakeC/OG
    Senio KelemeteOG
    Joe LooneyOG
    Bobby MassieOT
    Bryce HarrisOT/OG
    Jonas GrayRB
    Chris RaineyRB
    Lamar MillerRB
    Vick BallardRB
    Terrance GanawayRB
    Davin MeggettRB
    John BrantleyQB

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Nice read:

Tavon Wilson's pick

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : hilton is goen, is adams still there. got too depressed to listen for a while.. im jsut glad we made a pick i agree on teh offense/kr rainey might be one of teh few left (offesne adn kr). i will have to check scott may be a waste or others as i dont see all teh edge players playing. agree on cuningham. my opinion of him never changed. do like bequette as a player dt i thought more than another edge guy. i didnt mean after this pick (i meant as opposed to) any big wrs left?
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]
    I missed Hilton coming off the board.  I was so depressed after 48, that I went out on the ledge with a bottle of jack and sleeping pills along with my Glock, a piece of rope, some razor blades, rat poison, arsenic and torn parachute.  I was out there for awhile while the fire dept tried to talk me back in.  We have to wait what, 62 picks? 

Pick 48 was a throw away pick.  We could of had a 10 year stud at Center, a top flight WR, etc.  We did nothing to address our biggest need, secondary help.  Allen is 34 and Gregory was washed up in SD.  I loved the Hightower and Bequette picks and am optimistic about Chandler Jones but I give him a C because of durability concerns until he proves otherwise.   

I see Cunningham as redundant and he will be cut.  We are over budget 1 on D so maybe we'll start Brace on the PUP list again.  Offensively I think we can hide Koppen and Gonzales on the PUP list as insurance and have room for a KR/PR type either a WR or RB.  Adams, Rainey, Wright perhaps?

On the bright side we are freakin loaded on offense.  We definitely should be better on Defense too but we better be able to get after the QB because we aren't better in the secondary.  Dowling has to stay healthy for us to be better back there.

OFFENSE 24 Players
    Slot31 W Welker '1226 Edelman '12Gonzales PUP
    WR31 B. Lloyd '1534 C. Ochocincho 
    LOT23 N Solder '15  
    LG31 Mankins '16R Gallery 
    C30 Connolly '1532 D Koppen PUP 
    ROG35 Brian Waters26 Wendell '13 
    RT27 Vollmer '1224 M. Cannon '14 
    TE23 Gronkowski '1322 Hernandez '13D. Fells
    QB35 Tom Brady '1425 Hoyer '1224 Mallett '14
    RB23 S. Veeren '1426 Woodhead '12 
    23 S. Ridley '14S. Larson 

WR34 D. Branch '12D. Stallworth 

DEFENSE 26 Players
    DE 21 C. Jones25 Deaderick '13T. Scott
    DT30 Wilfork '1425 R. Brace '12 
    DT26 Love '1126 Pryor '13 
    DE30 J. Fanine '1390 J. Bequette 
    WLB26 Mayo '1625 D Fletcher '12 
    MLB25 B Spikes '1330 White '12 
    SLB25 D. Hightower29 Ninkovich '13B. Carpenter
    LCB23 Dowling '1423 S Moore '12W. Allen
    RCB26 McCourty '1426 Arrington '12 
    SS25 Chung '1227 J. Barrett '12 
    FS48 T. WilsonS. Gregory27 M Slater '14

SPECIAL TEAMS 3
    PK28 Gostkowski '14  
    P25 Z. Mesko '13  
    LS24 D Aiken  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I think to me there's only one option with that 5th pick.
    Ryan Miller Colorado, played OG but has OT qualities, 6'8" 321 lbs.  Above average power, keeps his leverage inside even at 6'8".  Moves really well in space, I think he could be a player that could play everything but OC.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Nice read on Wilson on that espn site. Obviously this could go either way based on the pats success with no name players like vollmer for example that the article references. He's also missed on higher profile players like butler, etc. so nothing is given. Overall, I don't believe the pats do a good job analyzing secondary prospects given we have missed on so many early in the draft...some household names, others off the radar types. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt because he is BB on this one. At then end of the day, I don't think it matters necessarily where this kid is picked. If he works out as a second rounder great. If not. We have missed on other kids who deserve a second round grade

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]Players I hope to see BB target on Day 2:
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

I watched and would be satisfied if Pats picked
    Ron Brooks CB
    Coty Sensabaugh CB
    Brandon Boykin CB
    George Iloka S
    Alameda Ta'amu DL (they now have personnel for teams they want to beat with speed; this is a missing piece for a d against teams they'll want to beat by ovepowering up front. if available in the 5th, then this is a value pickup)
    Greg Childs WR
    Marvin Jones WR
    Joe Adams WR
    Phillip Blake C/OG (a stronger c for tb, but i am also thinking for mallett in the future)

I watched; I am neutral
    Miles Burris LB (really like him but already stocked on good LBs)
    Ronnell Lewis LB
    Neiko Thorpe S
    Davin Meggett RB
    Marquis Maze WR
    Senio Kelemete OG

I watched play and I don't like
    Lamar Miller RB (looks to me as someone who runs too much like maroney)
    Chase Minnifield CB (i saw him give up on a td play which was completely within his reach)

I did not see: also don't want to make an opinion based on what others have written:

Shaun Prater  CB Omar Bolden CB Leonard Johnson CB   Robert Blanton   S Jordan Bernstine S Coryell Judie S Hebron Fangupo DL Matt Conrath DL Armond Armstead DL Travian Robertson DL Kheeston Randall DL Taylor Thompson DL  Danny Coale  WR    Jarious Wright WR Devon Wylie WR Keyshawn Martin WR Quentin Saulsberry C/OG   Joe Looney OG Bobby Massie OT Bryce Harris OT/OG Jonas Gray RB Chris Rainey RB Vick Ballard RB Terrance Ganaway RB  John Brantley QB

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

[QUOTE]Wilson just another pick in a long line surprises, some more than others Will be interesting to see how it works out. 7 teams brought Wilson in for "official" visits. Don't always pay super close attention to official visits but do teams really bring in UDFA types for official visits? They might, I have no idea. Mayo Mankins Vollmer Slater B. Johnson M. Carter Just have to assume his pro day and private workout with the Pats was impressive. I hope.

That's nice. But it doesn't mean any of them were ready to take him in the 2nd round.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : That's nice. But it doesn't mean any of them were ready to take him in the 2nd round.
    Posted by sml1210[/QUOTE]

You're right, and because that statement is correct it also means that the opposite is possibly true. All of even just one other may have been ready to. We just don't know.

Part of the process of evaluations is also relying on coaches who's opinion you trust and coached a particular player.

There is a story that the IL coach told BB that he thought his guy was better than most of the other guys getting the pub. ??

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

there goes jarious