***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!:
    In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : With the Mulligan, I give the Pats an A.  It would be an A+ if we didn't shank pick 48 into the ravine.  In terms of the roster and bolstering areas of weakness, we did a great job.  Jones replaces Carter (but he could be back) Hightower replaces Guyton Dennard replaces Ihedigbo Bequette replaces Anderson All should be long term upgrades.   
    Posted by Faucetman

love the shankk into the ravine analogy!
    :)

keep bringing the humor and positive light of things

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'll take:

Chris Minnifield CB
    Donnie Fletcher DB
    Jean Baptiste DT
    James Brown G
    Michael Brewster C
    Matt Reynolds T
    Chase Ford TE
    Chris Polk RB
    Damarlo Belcher WR

as UDFA's

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I'll take: Chris Minnifield CB Donnie Fletcher DB Jean Baptiste DT James Brown G Michael Brewster C Matt Reynolds T Chase Ford TE Chris Polk RB Damarlo Belcher WR as UDFA
    eng

ok man get on the phone :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

List starting to thin....

Some Possible UDFA's???

Vince Brown
    Fozzy Whittaker
    Logan Kerr
    Brandon Bolden

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Pats sign  Jeremiah Warren, OL, South Florida

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Jones replaces Carter (but he could be back) Hightower replaces Guyton Dennard replaces Ihedigbo Bequette replaces Anderson All should be long term upgrades.   

Posted by Faucetman

I understand where you're coming from and long term is right, but rookies don't replace veteran production, unless the veteran in question was lousy. So I think it would be a major stretch to expect Jones/Bequette to replace Carter/Anderson. The other guys I can see it happening, but even with those guys there will be a learning curve. If there are four rookies starting on defense, I would expect some rough times.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Pats sign  Markus Zusevics, OT, Iowa

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Grrr packers got both Dale Moss and Darius Reynolds wth

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Pats sign  Marcus Forston, DL, Miami

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Pats sign  Brad Herman, TE, Iowa

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : I understand where you're coming from and long term is right, but rookies don't replace veteran production, unless the veteran in question was lousy. So I think it would be a major stretch to expect Jones/Bequette to replace Carter/Anderson. The other guys I can see it happening, but even with those guys there will be a learning curve. If there are four rookies starting on defense, I would expect some rough times.
    Posted by Muzwell

I didn't say starters, I said replacing on the roster.  Guyton and Anderson were not regular starters and Ihedigbo shouldn't have been a starter if we didn't have so many injuries.  Hightower will push Spikes/Ninko for PT especially in passing downs.  I actually think Bequette is NFL ready as a situational pass rusher and Jones also you would expect to see a lot of action on passing downs. 

Carter could very well be back but I don't know if we have room for him now.

Dennard could see a lot of action in nickel and dime sets.  I would rather see him step in at FS and release Allen to make space.  Some of these guys, the 6-7 rounders and UDFA are PS material.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

42 players were drafted from SEC schools, 1 more than the Big Ten

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

God I love Dont'a Hightower!!  Just read his post draft interview on Patriots.com.  This kid is going to be special.  Maybe even Junior Seau special but more versatile.  Mb, what was it [5]?  Can't believe we got him.  I thought he Steelers would take him but they couldn't pass on their stud OG.

Here are a couple of quotes:

I think I'm tough, physical, hard-nosed. I'm a big hitter. I'm going t o get to the ball. When I get to the ball, I'm going to make sure whoever has the ball or whoever is around the ball, they're going to feel me. I'm definitely going to be an intimidator, definitely want to be somebody who, not even the running back or quarterback, but even the offensive linemen want to know where I'm at on the field at all times. I'm definitely going to get to the ball.

I dropped all the time. A lot of the teams didn't want to run the ball on us. A lot of people don't understand the coverage or the zone match to it. A lot of people think I don't drop in coverage, but it's just more complicated than it really is. Nine times out of 10, teams don't really want to run the ball on us, so we'd have to go into a sub or down package.

You condition yourself in practice and that's where it starts. You practice how you play. A lot of people say that and don't mean it, but if you don't work hard at practice then you're not going to do what you do in practice in a game. You can't just turn a switch on in a game. It's all about how you practice and I definitely take pride in being on the field and all that, especially if it's four downs for special teams. I'm competitive and I'm passionate about football. This is what I like to do. This is what I love to do. I'm going to do whatever I can to be on the field, whether it's special teams for the first couple of games or if I'm on the field for three downs and on punt return or something. I'm going to do what I can to get on the field.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

God I love Dont'a Hightower!!  Just read his post draft interview on Patriots.com.  This kid is going to be special.  Maybe even Junior Seau special but more versatile.  Mb, what was it [5]?  Can't believe we got him.  I thought he Steelers would take him but they couldn't pass on their stud OG. Here are a couple of quotes: I think I'm tough, physical, hard-nosed. I'm a big hitter. ...
    Posted by Faucetman

not to be neg here... but i have a motto that i hope does not apply here.

when you say you're cool, you're not.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : not to be neg here... but i have a motto that i hope does not apply here. when you say you're cool, you're not.
    Posted by seattlepat70

this kid is the real deal.  don't worry.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : this kid is the real deal.  don't worry.
    Posted by Faucetman

from about 3-4 alabama games i saw, i agree. i think it's more because he's not that sure yet that people see, so he feels he has to say that he is.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Thoughts on Tavon Wilson @ Ill's Bowl Game vs. UCLA

the kraft fight hunger bowl game was still on the dvr! that is fortunate given the new season of avatar has started so my son's been deleting the football games on the dvr.

this is a one game sample. i just went through all of Ill's defensive snaps.

before i comment on wilson, i must say that if you had doubts on mercilus, one just has to see this game so the doubt goes away.

my take on wilson... i definitely think the pundits overlooked this guy. if this game reflects his role in every game they played, he is pretty good. i'd put him in front of brown if brown's still with the team. i could put him in front of ihedigbo. wilson's got the third most tackles on the team. not the type who goes out with reckless abandon, but always in his assigned position. covers the TE well, despite giving up a TD to the TE. worth the second round pick? idk. 

below are descriptons of plays more or less at or near him... if you have this on dvr too, here are the plays you could look for.

Q1

12:46 Wilson showed deep cover skill. UCLA had 3rd and 14 @ UCLA 49. The slot receiver went straight deep. Wilson stayed on the receiver's right shoulder all the way. Incomplete at Illinois 18.

2:10 Almost the same play as the the one at 12:46. Looked like UCLA was testing him. Same result but he can be nitpicked on this play a bit. He turned his head a moment late and did not have his hand up. The receiver practically caught the ball on the chest but could not control, maybe because Wilson was really by his hip. Incomplete.

Q2

11:10 UCLA 1st and 10 at Ill 36. Pistol. wilson was covering someone outside the far hashmark. RB broke through the middle. Wilson disengaged to tackle the RB and saved a sure TD at the Illinois 16.

10:48 UCLA 1st and 10 at Ill 16. Wilson had outside assignment. QB hands off to the RB. RB runs inside the LT. Wilson attacks and tackles for -1.

10:10 2nd and 10 at Ill 16. Wilson looked bad on this play. That said, UCLA set him up well. He stood no chance on this play. He had man cover against the 6-3 TE started at the left hash, TE ran a fade, QB lobbed to the TE on the outside shoulder.

4:30 UCLA 2nd and 9 at their 28. Wilson was covering the QB's right receiver, who motioned across bringing Wilson in with him. Run play. RB runs near Wilson. Wilson tackles but the RB gained 3 yds.

2:27 UCLA 1st and 10 at their 43. Wilson was M2M against the receiver on the QB's right who again motions across. Snap went past the QB. UCLA player got to the ball first. Wilson next. Wilson caused enough disruption so that his teammate recovered the ball at UCLA 30.

Q3

I got lazy and FFed to the fourth.

Q4

11:21 UCLA 3rd and 2. UCLA went five wide. wilson was more shallow than normal, in the middle, like a LB. QB made a pass to the right TE at the first down marker, just by the right hashmark. Wilson on snap I believe was supposed to drop back, had turn his shoulder toward his endline, but before completing his first step recognized the pass, turned back and made the tackle on the TE.

No YAC.

10:58 Wilson's best play of the game. UCLA 1st and 10. Single back. Wilson was right outside the RT. QB tried to run a bootleg to the right which Wilson read perfectly, and tackled for -5 yards.

i had seen enough to say that if bb saw more good than i saw, i would not be surprised. i certainly felt better after seeing wilson in this game.

one more note... the Illinois CB wearing #1 (terry hawthorne) is a CB that MB shold watch for next draft. 6-foot guy with a lot of energy. plays with attitude. I would not be surprised if the pats took note of him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

God I love Dont'a Hightower!!  Just read his post draft interview on Patriots.com.  This kid is going to be special.  Maybe even Junior Seau special but more versatile.  Mb, what was it [5]?  Can't believe we got him.  I thought he Steelers would take him but they couldn't pass on their stud OG. Here are a couple of quotes: I think I'm tough, physical, hard-nosed. I'm a big hitter. I'm going t o get to the ball. When I get to the ball, I'm going to make sure whoever has the ball or whoever is around the ball, they're going to feel me. I'm definitely going to be an intimidator, definitely want to be somebody who, not even the running back or quarterback, but even the offensive linemen want to know where I'm at on the field at all times. I'm definitely going to get to the ball. I dropped all the time. A lot of the teams didn't want to run the ball on us. A lot of people don't understand the coverage or the zone match to it. A lot of people think I don't drop in coverage, but it's just more complicated than it really is. Nine times out of 10, teams don't really want to run the ball on us, so we'd have to go into a sub or down package. You condition yourself in practice and that's where it starts. You practice how you play. A lot of people say that and don't mean it, but if you don't work hard at practice then you're not going to do what you do in practice in a game. You can't just turn a switch on in a game. It's all about how you practice and I definitely take pride in being on the field and all that, especially if it's four downs for special teams. I'm competitive and I'm passionate about football. This is what I like to do. This is what I love to do. I'm going to do whatever I can to be on the field, whether it's special teams for the first couple of games or if I'm on the field for three downs and on punt return or something. I'm going to do what I can to get on the field.
    Posted by Faucetman

saw him in that interview and heard their original interview.
    in the initial interviews of the 2 i liked jones interview better.
    i started a thread on their interviews (probably on page 2 or 3 now).

jones was modest in 2nd interview, donta was verbally expressing his football intensity and acumen

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Thoughts on Tavon Wilson @ Ill's Bowl Game vs. UCLA

the kraft fight hunger bowl game was still on the dvr! that is fortunate given the new season of avatar has started so my son's been deleting the football games on the dvr. 

this is a one game sample. i just went through all of Ill's defensive snaps. before i comment on wilson, i must say that if you had doubts on mercilus, one just has to see this game so the doubt goes away.

my take on wilson... i definitely think the pundits overlooked this guy. if this game reflects his role in every game they played, he is pretty good. i'd put him in front of brown if brown's still with the team. i could put him in front of ihedigbo. wilson's got the third most tackles on the team. not the type who goes out with reckless abandon, but always in his assigned position. covers the TE well, despite giving up a TD to the TE. worth the second round pick? idk. 

below are descriptons of plays more or less at or near him... if you have this on dvr too, here are the plays you could look for.

Q1 12:46 Wilson showed deep cover skill. UCLA had 3rd and 14 @ UCLA 49. The slot receiver went straight deep. Wilson stayed on the receiver's right shoulder all the way. Incomplete at Illinois 18. 2:10 Almost the same play as the the one at 12:46. Looked like UCLA was testing him. Same result but he can be nitpicked on this play a bit. He turned his head a moment late and did not have his hand up. The receiver practically caught the ball on the chest but could not control, maybe because Wilson was really by his hip. Incomplete. Q2 11:10 UCLA 1st and 10 at Ill 36. Pistol. wilson was covering someone outside the far hashmark. RB broke through the middle. Wilson disengaged to tackle the RB and saved a sure TD at the Illinois 16. 10:48 UCLA 1st and 10 at Ill 16. Wilson had outside assignment. QB hands off to the RB. RB runs inside the LT. Wilson attacks and tackles for -1. 10:10 2nd and 10 at Ill 16. Wilson looked bad on this play. That said, UCLA set him up well. He stood no chance on this play. He had man cover against the 6-3 TE started at the left hash, TE ran a fade, QB lobbed to the TE on the outside shoulder. 4:30 UCLA 2nd and 9 at their 28. Wilson was covering the QB's right receiver, who motioned across bringing Wilson in with him. Run play. RB runs near Wilson. Wilson tackles but the RB gained 3 yds. 2:27 UCLA 1st and 10 at their 43. Wilson was M2M against the receiver on the QB's right who again motions across. Snap went past the QB. UCLA player got to the ball first. Wilson next. Wilson caused enough disruption so that his teammate recovered the ball at UCLA 30. Q3 I got lazy and FFed to the fourth. 
Q4 11:21 UCLA 3rd and 2. UCLA went five wide. wilson was more shallow than normal, in the middle, like a LB. QB made a pass to the right TE at the first down marker, just by the right hashmark. Wilson on snap I believe was supposed to drop back, had turn his shoulder toward his endline, but before completing his first step recognized the pass, turned back and made the tackle on the TE.

No YAC. 10:58 Wilson's best play of the game. UCLA 1st and 10. Single back. Wilson was right outside the RT. QB tried to run a bootleg to the right which Wilson read perfectly, and tackled for -5 yards. i had seen enough to say that if bb saw more good than i saw, i would not be surprised. i certainly felt better after seeing wilson in this game. one more note... the Illinois CB wearing #1 (terry hawthorne) is a CB that MB shold watch for next draft. 6-foot guy with a lot of energy. plays with attitude. I would not be surprised if the pats took note of him.
    Posted by seattlepat70

helpful seattle, wilson made only honorable mention at his postion for the conference. you make him sound better than 25th rated safety in the country.
    although the read is that he is good against the run, not so good against the pass.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

anyone seen or heard from faucet since the draft ended?
    gotta check up on him and make sure he doesnt give it all up after teh downturn in  round 2.

you hoo..
    faucet you out there?

you good?

lets comisserate man

or

paint a face on it

or put off any concluding thoughts till teh end of next season.

we're here man.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

anyone seen or heard from faucet since the draft ended? gotta check up on him and make sure he doesnt give it all up after teh downturn in  round 2. you hoo.. faucet you out there? you good? lets comisserate man or paint a face on it or put off any concluding thoughts till teh end of next season. we're here man.
    Posted by bredbru

Saw a few posts from him, think he's ok now lol

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Thoughts on Day 3:

1.  Nate Ebner looks like the latest BB project, he clearly enjoys trying to find a diamond in the rough that may have little to no experience, but a very translatable skill set and I look forward to seeing how this kid performs in camp.

2.  Alfonzo Dennard is pure value.  Day 2 talent that fell due to poor decision making... kid needs to smarten up, but you drafted him at a spot where there is little to no risk... excellent, excellent pick.

3.  Jeremey Ebert looks like the prototype BB slot guy.  Good speed and COD, smart (Northwestern is a high level academic institution), tough, good route runner, catches the ball well and has been productive.  Not a lot you can say bad about the pick.  Got a chance to see him beat Tavon Wilson over the top for a TD when checking out his tape.

Overall, excellent 3rd day.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Thoughts on Day 3: 1.  Nate Ebner looks like the latest BB project, he clearly enjoys trying to find a diamond in the rough that may have little to no experience, but a very translatable skill set.  I wouldn't preferred taking more of a proven commodity and already ST standout in Iowa S Jordan Bernstine, but I look forward to seeing how this kid performs in camp. 2.  Alfonzo Dennard is pure value.  Day 2 talent that fell due to poor decision making... kid needs to smarten up, but you drafted him at a spot where there is little to no risk... excellent, excellent pick. 3.  Jeremey Ebert looks like the prototype BB slot guy.  Good speed and COD, smart (Northwestern is a high level academic institution), tough, good route runner, catches the ball well and has been productive.  Not a lot you can say bad about the pick.  Got a chance to see him beat Tavon Wilson over the top for a TD when checking out his tape. Overall, excellent 3rd day.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Ebner is becoming on of my favorite picks in the draft.  The more I read and learn about this guy the more I want to see him on the field.  I don't think he will never have to be motivated or asked to give everything he has.  A little impact guy perhaps but looks like an enforcer type in STs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Ebner is becoming on of my favorite picks in the draft.  The more I read and learn about this guy the more I want to see him on the field.  I don't think he will never have to be motivated or asked to give everything he has.  A little impact guy perhaps but looks like an enforcer type in STs.
    Posted by Pats7393

Yeah, after checking him out, I revised my above post.  I love this kids mentality and drive.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Hey Guys!  Thanks to everyone for all of the thoughts, opinions, and analysis on this board the past 6 months.  I love following college football and the draft process, but certain times during the year I get so busy that I simply don't have time to research things much.  This board has become my #1 resourse for a quick-study on Patriots draft prospects, and it is amazing how educated I feel about prospects, NE's roster, as well as the NFL buisness as a whole just by reading your posts.  Appreciate the hard work, guys.  I feel like BB hit a homerun in this year's draft.  Simply put, he addressed our biggest needs with terriffic talent.  Jones/Hightower were amazing 1st round picks who will help us tremendously from Day 1, and I feel like Bequette & Dennard were outstanding additions as well.  Heck, after researching it a bit, I really like the Wilson pick at 48 because I think he will become a solid, dependable FS that NE has needed so badly the past couple of seasons.  BB drafted Wilson there for a reason, folks.  I have a feeling that there is more than meets the eye with this kid. Just a great draft all around, IMO.

Sections
Shortcuts