***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : As it stands now, it seems like we would have to trade up to get Barron.  I agree that we could use the help, but we would have to move up to get him.  And I'm okay with that.  I'm still a little thrown by MordecaiBloodmoon's comment about taking Fleener in the 2nd.  At first I thought it was a ridiculous idea.  But then I looked at the roster and noticed that the Pats have only 1 true TE in Gronkowski.  Hernandez is more on an H-Back.  How many times did Hernandez line up as a TE?  How does someone even find that info? Do you think it's more likely that the Pats draft a WR or a TE first?  That Oakland pick at 45 looks like a good spot to pick up either Dwayne Allen or Coby Fleener.  What do you think?  Is that too much TE for one team?  Take a second and imagine that....
    Posted by Army2LT[/QUOTE]

As it stands now, it seems like we would have to trade up to get Barron.  I agree that we could use the help, but we would have to move up to get him.  And I'm okay with that.  You could be right as he’s one of the better defensive players in the draft, IMO.  I’d be all for moving up to around pick 20 or so to get him.
    I'm still a little thrown by MordecaiBloodmoon's comment about taking Fleener in the 2nd.  At first I thought it was a ridiculous idea.  But then I looked at the roster and noticed that the Pats have only 1 true TE in Gronkowski.  Hernandez is more on an H-Back.  How many times did Hernandez line up as a TE?  How does someone even find that info?
     Do you think it's more likely that the Pats draft a WR or a TE first?  That Oakland pick at 45 looks like a good spot to pick up either Dwayne Allen or Coby Fleener.  What do you think?  Is that too much TE for one team?  Take a second and imagine that....I too think TE could be an option, had them taking ND’s Tyler Eifert (assuming he declares) with the second of their Rd 2 picks in my initial mock.  Yes, having a kid with more inline potential (Eifert/Fleener etc.) would allow them to run more 2 TE sets while using Hernandez more as an H-back, slow WR or using him out of the backfield creating matchup problems all over the field.  Gronk and Eifert/Fleener also have the ability/athleticism to line up in the slots as well giving BB/BO plenty of room to get creative.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I was actually thinking about that a few hours ago.  Maybe I'll just stay 2LT for the remainder of my time in the Army in order to avoid changing my screen name.

The shiney stripes must be tough. My son is in the 101st, just came back from deployment in June. Kid got a silver star and has gone from E-1 to going to the boards for E-5. He'll have his E-5 before his 21st B-Day.   Thanks for your service guys.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]I was actually thinking about that a few hours ago.  Maybe I'll just stay 2LT for the remainder of my time in the Army in order to avoid changing my screen name. The shiney stripes must be tough. My son is in the 101st, just came back from deployment in June. Kid got a silver star and has gone from E-1 to going to the boards for E-5. He'll have his E-5 before his 21st B-Day.   Thanks for your service guys.
    Posted by Philskiw1[/QUOTE]

I don't undertand most of the military speak, though I assume the "E-x" is tied to rank.  I knew that the Silver Star was a pretty prestigious honor and want to thank your son for his service.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Thanks for the son thanks.

E is for enlisted, the worker bee guys, O would be the officer rank for the manager guys.

Happy new year I enjoy your Pats insite.

Edit the rank is broken down by levels. E1- E9 or O1-O10 E5 would be a Seargent and O5 A full bird Cornel

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Here's my first attempt at a mock draft this year:

1A  Dont'a Hightower  LB Alabama
    Just too good to pass up if he slides this far.  Durability an issue, but a fantastic nose for the ball and great size/speed to back it up.

1B  Mark Barron  S  Alabama
    Probably the best safety in the country.  Physical safety who starts from day 1.

2A  Brandon Jenkins  DE/OLB  Florida State
    6'3" 255 with a great first step.  Would provide a huge boost to our pass rush.

2B  Kendall Wright  WR Baylor
    Would provide the true deep threat that we all have been wishing for for a few years now.  Tore up the Big XII and would be a welcome upgrade over aging Deion Branch on the outside.

3  Jared Crick  DT/DE  Nebraska
    BB's favorite word on draft day, value.  May slide this far due to injury issues (torn pectoral in 2011) but if he can return to health he would be a steal in the 3rd round.

4  Trumaine Johnston  CB/S  Montana
    6'2" 197 corner who was dominant at FCS level.  Shows nice speed and ball skills, but tough to guage true NFL potential due to quality of competition. Projects to be a CB at next level, but has size to convert to safety as well. Tremedous upside, and well worth the risk in 4th round

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

[QUOTE]I was actually thinking about that a few hours ago.  Maybe I'll just stay 2LT for the remainder of my time in the Army in order to avoid changing my screen name. The shiney stripes must be tough. My son is in the 101st, just came back from deployment in June. Kid got a silver star and has gone from E-1 to going to the boards for E-5. He'll have his E-5 before his 21st B-Day.   Thanks for your service guys.
    Posted by Philskiw1[/QUOTE]

Great news about the Silver Star for your son.  Was his photo in the Army Times recently?  Sounds like your son is fast tracking.  Congrats!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : As it stands now, it seems like we would have to trade up to get Barron.  I agree that we could use the help, but we would have to move up to get him.  And I'm okay with that.  You could be right as he’s one of the better defensive players in the draft, IMO.   I’d be all for moving up to around pick 20 or so to get him. I'm still a little thrown by MordecaiBloodmoon's comment about taking Fleener in the 2nd.  At first I thought it was a ridiculous idea.  But then I looked at the roster and noticed that the Pats have only 1 true TE in Gronkowski.  Hernandez is more on an H-Back.  How many times did Hernandez line up as a TE?  How does someone even find that info?   Do you think it's more likely that the Pats draft a WR or a TE first?  That Oakland pick at 45 looks like a good spot to pick up either Dwayne Allen or Coby Fleener.  What do you think?  Is that too much TE for one team?  Take a second and imagine that.... I too think TE could be an option, had them taking ND’s Tyler Eifert (assuming he declares) with the second of their Rd 2 picks in my initial mock.   Yes, having a kid with more inline potential (Eifert/Fleener etc.) would allow them to run more 2 TE sets while using Hernandez more as an H-back, slow WR or using him out of the backfield creating matchup problems all over the field.   Gronk and Eifert/Fleener also have the ability/athleticism to line up in the slots as well giving BB/BO plenty of room to get creative.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Do we have any likely trade partners in the 15-20 range?  Looks like Philly will be getting a top ten pick.  Although BB has traded with Andy Ried every year for the past 10 years consecutively, I think the price may be too steep.  The 15 -20 range might look like-

15. KC
    16. NYG
    17. Cowboys
    18. Tenn
    19. Cleve
    20. Cinci (via Oak)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hey guys, it's been a nice vaca but I missed the boards. I've been talking with some of my buddies and have some conversations as to what and who to draft this off-season. For the most part we all came up with D but it's who on D that we've changed a bit. Here's what I've decided on so far without the senior bowl or combine yet.

1A - Melvin Ingram DE/OLB - Just a plain great athlete. He can rush the passer or drop back for coverage. He has the size BB loves and can play either 43 DE or 34 OLB. Will most likely be available in the late 1st. A preferred option but most likely won't make it to this pick is Whitney Mercilus. If neither is there then trade the pick for a 2nd and another pick. Since I'm not even looking into the future lets say another 3rd.

1B - Traded - Much like as stated above a 2nd and a 3rd. If 1A is traded however, then the pick is Vinny Curry. Ingram, Curry, and Mercilus are the best passing rushing prospects who can be 34 OLB's or 43 DE's imo (Couples is a pure DE at his size). Jenkins and Perry are the next tier down. The only reason I have both Mercilus and Ingram over Curry is because they appear better in coverage then Curry.

2A (Trade pick) - Markelle Martin S - Barron might or might not be gone but what this team needs is a true coverage FS. Martin has proven to be one of the most consistent FS in the draft. Not as much as a ballhawk as Lester or Barron but has had double digit passes broken up 3 years straight. He's a natural deep FS, which is where Meri was always positions. He has the ability to move inside the box if needed but would need to gain some strength

2B - Derek Wolfe DE/DT - Wolfe has been rising up my draft board and as draft day gets closer I expect him to rise quickly. I'm hoping he'll be there at Oak's pick but you never know at this point. He's got good height, size, and speed. He's got good technique and uses his speed and strength to great advantage. He's be a great fit as a 34 DE or a 43 DT

2C - Tyler Eifert TE - provided he declares and is still available he'd be a great 2nd inline blocking TE then can receive right next to Gronk. This would push Hernandez to a full time HB reducing the need for a FB and having a good 3rd TE. That's a big if though but with a weak TE class Eifert might declare early. If he does I expect either him or Fleener to be in the back of the 2nd and I'd take either, but I think Eifert has higher upside

3A (Trade pick) - Rueben Randle WR - Great size and speed and his draft should be much higher then it is. Two things have hurt him: his QB (Jefferson), game against Alabama. Both would be taken care with Brady as his QB and Welker and Gronk keeping dbl teams off of him. I really want McNutt but he won't be available in the 3rd Randle might be the next best option in the 3rd. The other nice thing is that if he doesn't work out you flex Hernandez from the HB to a #2 WR

3B - Devin Taylor OLB - This kid is 6'7" and is good-great in coverage. He should honestly stay in school but rumors are he's declaring. This kid has a ton of talent and great size. It would be well worth taking him in the 3rd and letting him work. Esp, if you get his teammate Ingram in the 1st

4 - Ben Habern C - Smaller more athletic C, much like Koppen and the Pouncey brothers. If he didn't break his arm imo he would be considered the 2nd or 3rd best C in the draft. He'd be a great find here. If Broyles is there we can grab a C as a UDFA and you double up on WR's this year. But Broyles is a guessing game right now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

There seems to be a slew of Alabama players regarded as 1st round prospects.  Given the connection between BB and Nick Saban, is there a chance the Pats use both 1st rounders on these men?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]There seems to be a slew of Alabama players regarded as 1st round prospects.  Given the connection between BB and Nick Saban, is there a chance the Pats use both 1st rounders on these men?

Theres a possibility, yeah, with some combo of Barron (who's a Rd 1 lock as we've discussed) and Hightower/Lester who both have Rd 1 upside.  As much as I'd like to see Courtney Upshaw, I think he's off the board in the top 20 (though Barron could eventually end up there too).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]There seems to be a slew of Alabama players regarded as 1st round prospects.  Given the connection between BB and Nick Saban, is there a chance the Pats use both 1st rounders on these men?

Alabama has a legit Pro secondary that I would say would be a top 15 secondary today. It's almost scary. They also have a number of top end LB's and DE's. Saban certainly has a great eye for D talent. I would not hesitate to make him a DC if he wanted to join the Pats

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Happy Holidays Everyone! Here's my first attempt at a mock draft this year: 1A  Dont'a Hightower  LB Alabama Just too good to pass up if he slides this far.  Durability an issue, but a fantastic nose for the ball and great size/speed to back it up. 1B  Mark Barron  S  Alabama Probably the best safety in the country.  Physical safety who starts from day 1. 2A  Brandon Jenkins  DE/OLB  Florida State 6'3" 255 with a great first step.  Would provide a huge boost to our pass rush. 2B  Kendall Wright  WR Baylor Would provide the true deep threat that we all have been wishing for for a few years now.  Tore up the Big XII and would be a welcome upgrade over aging Deion Branch on the outside. 3  Jared Crick  DT/DE  Nebraska BB's favorite word on draft day, value.  May slide this far due to injury issues (torn pectoral in 2011) but if he can return to health he would be a steal in the 3rd round. 4  Trumaine Johnston  CB/S  Montana 6'2" 197 corner who was dominant at FCS level.  Shows nice speed and ball skills, but tough to guage true NFL potential due to quality of competition. Projects to be a CB at next level, but has size to convert to safety as well. Tremedous upside, and well worth the risk in 4th round
    Posted by WazzuWheatfarmer[/QUOTE]

Happy Holidays to you too.

Looks like a realistic haul, though I think Barron would likely come off the board before Hightower.  Wright is a kid that I too would like to see in Rd 2, he's also getting some Rd 1 chatter.  I don't know much about Johnston, but I'll have to check him out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Hey guys, it's been a nice vaca but I missed the boards. I've been talking with some of my buddies and have some conversations as to what and who to draft this off-season. For the most part we all came up with D but it's who on D that we've changed a bit. Here's what I've decided on so far without the senior bowl or combine yet. 1A - Melvin Ingram DE/OLB - Just a plain great athlete. He can rush the passer or drop back for coverage. He has the size BB loves and can play either 43 DE or 34 OLB. Will most likely be available in the late 1st. A preferred option but most likely won't make it to this pick is Whitney Mercilus. If neither is there then trade the pick for a 2nd and another pick. Since I'm not even looking into the future lets say another 3rd. 1B - Traded - Much like as stated above a 2nd and a 3rd. If 1A is traded however, then the pick is Vinny Curry. Ingram, Curry, and Mercilus are the best passing rushing prospects who can be 34 OLB's or 43 DE's imo (Couples is a pure DE at his size). Jenkins and Perry are the next tier down. The only reason I have both Mercilus and Ingram over Curry is because they appear better in coverage then Curry. 2A (Trade pick) - Markelle Martin S - Barron might or might not be gone but what this team needs is a true coverage FS. Martin has proven to be one of the most consistent FS in the draft. Not as much as a ballhawk as Lester or Barron but has had double digit passes broken up 3 years straight. He's a natural deep FS, which is where Meri was always positions. He has the ability to move inside the box if needed but would need to gain some strength 2B - Derek Wolfe DE/DT - Wolfe has been rising up my draft board and as draft day gets closer I expect him to rise quickly. I'm hoping he'll be there at Oak's pick but you never know at this point. He's got good height, size, and speed. He's got good technique and uses his speed and strength to great advantage. He's be a great fit as a 34 DE or a 43 DT 2C - Tyler Eifert TE - provided he declares and is still available he'd be a great 2nd inline blocking TE then can receive right next to Gronk. This would push Hernandez to a full time HB reducing the need for a FB and having a good 3rd TE. That's a big if though but with a weak TE class Eifert might declare early. If he does I expect either him or Fleener to be in the back of the 2nd and I'd take either, but I think Eifert has higher upside 3A (Trade pick) - Rueben Randle WR - Great size and speed and his draft should be much higher then it is. Two things have hurt him: his QB (Jefferson), game against Alabama. Both would be taken care with Brady as his QB and Welker and Gronk keeping dbl teams off of him. I really want McNutt but he won't be available in the 3rd Randle might be the next best option in the 3rd. The other nice thing is that if he doesn't work out you flex Hernandez from the HB to a #2 WR 3B - Devin Taylor OLB - This kid is 6'7" and is good-great in coverage. He should honestly stay in school but rumors are he's declaring. This kid has a ton of talent and great size. It would be well worth taking him in the 3rd and letting him work. Esp, if you get his teammate Ingram in the 1st 4 - Ben Habern C - Smaller more athletic C, much like Koppen and the Pouncey brothers. If he didn't break his arm imo he would be considered the 2nd or 3rd best C in the draft. He'd be a great find here. If Broyles is there we can grab a C as a UDFA and you double up on WR's this year. But Broyles is a guessing game right now.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

We have similar thoughts on Mel-I, Eifert and Taylor.

I think people are underrating Barron's ability in coverage.  IMO, what they need more than anything (including a pure coverage FS) is a 4 down player that can consistently execute his assignments, give BB some flexibility (play down in the box, spy, blitz, cover a TE/RB/Slot or cover/fill from the deep half/third), and make some plays and I think Barron is that player.  Day 1 starter for them.

That's an optimistic projection for Wolfe as I haven't seen him rated near the top 100 yet (could be that the publications haven't caught up to him yet).  He had himself a very good season and made a bunch of plays behind the LOS, but the knock on him, from what I've read is a lack of ability to anchor vs. the double.  Have you seen the same?  I'm not saying he's not an option, because he looks like a big motored, blue collar type, I'm just not sure he's a Rd 2 kid.

Hoping to get a look at Habern tonight (Insight Bowl Iowa vs. Oklahoma), will be curious to see if he declares or not. Broyles would be an excellent value in Rd 4.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : Happy Holidays to you too. Looks like a realistic haul, though I think Barron would likely come off the board before Hightower.  Wright is a kid that I too would like to see in Rd 2, he's also getting some Rd 1 chatter.  I don't know much about Johnston, but I'll have to check him out.

Yeah, I'm probably a tad bit optimistic in thinking that we could get both Hightower & Barron, but you never know.  Check Johnston out.  I've seen him play live several times...Kind of a man-among-boys at FCS level, but those players can be difficult to project.  I think he has huge up-side and could be had in a later round.  (If you ever want a tremendous college football experience, make the trip to Missoula, MT to catch a Griz game...you won't regret the trip.  We try to make 1 a year.)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : Yeah, I'm probably a tad bit optimistic in thinking that we could get both Hightower & Barron, but you never know.  Check Johnston out.  I've seen him play live several times...Kind of a man-among-boys at FCS level, but those players can be difficult to project.  I think he has huge up-side and could be had in a later round.  (If you ever want a tremendous college football experience, make the trip to Missoula, MT to catch a Griz game...you won't regret the trip.  We try to make 1 a year.)

Thanks for the tip, my first goal is to travel to South Bend to see my Irish play well, once they have a 1A caliber QB, ha.

Do the Griz run more zone? Man?  How is his fluidity/awarness/read & react etc?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

Hey Guys,

I posted here on the thread last year a few times, and from here on out will post my thoughts on this thread as much as possible. As I said last year, I am a huge follower of the draft (year-round process for me). Also, obviously, major major Pats fan. To start off will just share some of my thoughts on this year's draft and the Pats needs in my opinion as well as possible targets for them.

Needs

First off, some of the Pats needs, as many of you have already discussed. In my opinion, this is how I'd rank the needs.

1) Safety
    2) Pass Rusher
    3) WR
    4) DL
    5) LB
    6) CB
    7) TE

First up is definitely suring up the safety position, besides Chung who is a real good player, we currently have undrafted and free agent pickups populating our roster. Ihegdibo is a solid backup/special teamer. Sergio Brown doesn't belong on a roster IMO (regressed from last year). Barrett now on IR, certainly wasn't the answer either. Ventrone we won't even count. Edelman/Slater belong on special teams. Sterling Moore is the one out of the whole group who has showed some promise for me, besides putting McCourty out for 3 weeks. Anyway, we definitely need help at Safety. Chung is the only starting material, while Ihegdibo is a solid backup, and the rest special teamers.

Pass Rusher is another one. We have surprisingly improved in this department this year, even though by looking at our overall defense you wouldn't think so. That being said, much of that production has come from short-term, veteran free agents who have played well but we could still use long-term fits at the position.

At WR, I am not of the mindset we nessacarily need a big, physical deep threat at the position, we need someone who fits our scheme. Quick, Agile, Good COD, Acceleration, runs good routes, and most importantly will develop a repoire with Brady. I also think, we need to attack safer targets instead of the raw prospects we have gone after in the past (ie. Price). Safe meaning, may never be a star but will at worst be a solid contributor. Someone who has worked in pro-style offense, has the skillset the Patriots look for, and is has an advanced understanding of the game coming out of college.

The rest are self explanitory. I think we can add depth at all of those positions. At DL/LB, we have some good pieces, we just need to add depth and players that fit the scheme well, and can contribute on all downs. At CB, I think, when healthy are pretty solid going into next year 3 strong (McCourty, Dowling, Arrington), but in this league that isn't enough. Especially with McCourty's mysterious decline, and Dowling's injury history. Don't be mad if we go with another CB in 1st 2 rounds. At TE, like some of you guys have mentioned, another in-line guy who can block well, but also can catch, would be a nice addition as a 3rd TE. Give us more matchup nightmares.

Targets

Safety

Mark Barron, Alabama (1st)
    Robert Lester, Alabama (2nd-3rd)
    Markelle Martin, Oklahoma State (2nd)
    Harrison Smith, Notre Dame (3rd-4th)
    Tony Dye, UCLA (5th-7th)
    Matt Daniels, Duke (5th-7th)

Defensive Tackle

Devon Still, Penn State (1st)
    Fletcher Cox, Mississippi State (1st-2nd)
    Dontari Poe, Memphis (1st-2nd)
    Brandon Thompson, Clemson (1st-2nd)
    Josh Chapman, Alabama (2nd-3rd)
    Kendall Reyes, UConn (3rd-4th)
    Mike Martin, Michigan (4th-5th)

Defensive End

Nick Perry, USC (1st)
    Whitney Mericlus, Clemson (1st)
    Jared Crick, Nebraska (1st-2nd)
    Vinny Curry, Marshall (1st-2nd)
    Alex Okafor, Texas (2nd-3rd)
    Jack Crawford, Penn State (4th-5th)
    Broderick Binns, Iowa (7th-UDFA)

Outside Linebacker

Melvin Ingram, South Carolina (1st)
    Courtney Upshaw, Alabama (1st)
    Brandon Jenkins, Florida State (2nd)
    Brandon Lindlsey, Pittsburgh (2nd-3rd)

Inside Linebacker

Luke Kuechly, Boston College (1st)
    Dont'a Hightower, Alabama (1st)
    Audie Cole, NC State (2nd-3rd)
    Chris Galippo, USC (5th-7th)

Cornerback

Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska (1st)
    Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama (2nd-3rd)
    Trumaine Johnson, Montana (3rd-4th)
    Leonard Johnson, Iowa State (3rd-4th)
    Donnie Fletcher, Boston College (4th)
    Casey Heyward, Vanderbilt (4th)
    Jamell Flemming, Oklahoma (4th-5th)

Tight End

Coby Fleener, Stanford (2nd)
    Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame (2nd)

Wide Receiver

Michael Floyd (1st)
    Kendall Wright (1st-2nd)
    Nick Toon (2nd-3rd)
    Brian Quick (3rd-4th)
    Dwight Jones (3rd-4th)
    Jarius Wright (4th-5th)
    Marvin McNutt (4th-5th)
    Ryan Broyles (4th-5th)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

Mock

1st (New Orleans) - Mark Barron, S, Alabama
    Been a favorite of many on the forums for one of our 1st rounders, and rightfully so. Barron has improved a ton this year, especially in coverage. He is a versitile safety who would fit very nicely next to Chung. Would likely be a starter from day 1 from us, and the Saban connection doesn't hurt. Barron can lay the wood, is good in-the-box, but like mentioned, his coverage skills have improved and only have made him better. At this point, he may be gone by the time the Pats come on the clock, but for now, we will give him to us.

1st (New England) - Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor
    Might come as a surprise to some, others maybe not. But Kendall Wright is one of my favorite players in the country, and he fits exactly what the Patriots look for in a WR. No he isn't the big, physical guy that everyone wants, but he is fast, can stretch the field, but also is quick, agile, and has good COD. Good in tight spaces and after the catch. He is a riser at this point, and his stock will only get higher, another guy that by draft day may be out of our reach, in my opinion. But would be a nice fit, if available. *Also a trade out cantidate, per usual, here*

2nd (Oakland) - Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska
    Crick's injury may have cost him some money, but may ultimately make Pats fans happy. He will likely slide into Round 2 now. He is a favorite of mine. He is versitile along the DL, gives it 110% every down, and is a 3 down guy. He is relentless, and may not be the most athletic player, but is someone you want on your team and will be a starter for a long time for someone.

2nd (New England) - Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
    Another favorite of the forum, Fleener is an in-line TE, who can also catch effectively. He was Luck's blanket at Stanford. He would fit nicely in the offense, when running 2 TE sets, and allow Hernandez to be used even more creatively, as well as Gronk. Fleener himself is a matchup problem, and if we add him, as well as Wright to our offense in one draft, we will get younger and much more explosive and dynamic offensively.

3rd - Leonard Johnson, CB, Iowa State
    Here is the CB finally. Johnson is a polished player who has shut down some top receivers while at Iowa State, including Justin Blackmon. He has good technique is versitile, and would add some solid depth to the core we have currently. He'd be a nice solid pick in the 3rd round but may be out of reach depending on how he does pre-draft.

4th - Broderick Binns, DE/OLB, Iowa
    Probably not the way everyone would like for the pass rush to be addressed in a draft. Binns isn't very flashy, but he simply makes plays. he is a little undersized, but can play both as a down lineman, but also stand up. Versitility, something BB loves, and would likely be a core special teamer. Binns is probably more of a 5th/6th rounder, but for the purposes of this exercise, I'll take him here. He will be a real solid player at the next level IMO. Adding Crick and Binns to the DL, and getting reinforcements through FA, and adding to the secondary with Barron/Johnson, I think our defense would look much better going into next year.

Filling our needs certainly won't happen just through the draft, I firmly believe we need to add a pass rusher and a safety in free agency, and the draft will be about adding depth and a 3rd quality safety and filling other needs. We need to make the 2 processes go hand and hand successfully to turn our defense around. You are going to miss on draft picks, like BB has, and he is one of the best in the business. So bringing in veteran players and contributors through free agency, and spending money to fill needs with players that fit your scheme can only help for the future.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : Thanks for the tip, my first goal is to travel to South Bend to see my Irish play well, once they have a 1A caliber QB, ha. Do the Griz run more zone? Man?  How is his fluidity/awarness/read & react etc?

Hey MB-
    From what I've seen on Johnston, and this is only a 3 game sample, they pretty much had him playing Man coverage.  I don't recall seeing him in a zone set.  He is a very physical corner, does a great job jamming WRs at the line and seems to stick with them through the route.  His technique and footwork seem fine, and he looks pretty fluid for a 6'2 corner. Seems to be a good tackler and looked strong in run support.  His ability to quickly read the play and react to the ball in the air is what could really set him apart.  More often than not, he seems to put himself in good position to make a play on the ball when it's in the air and has good enough hands to make the pick when the opportunity is there. With all of this being said, you have to remember that he was playing FCS competition. I normally don't put much stock into the combine/workout numbers, but I think they will be very important for a guy like Johnston.  Speed looks good but not elite.  If I had to guess I'd say he runs around a 4.5.  He is very intriguing prospect who really stands out when you see him play.

PS- I'm not a ND fan, but if I had a chance to see a game in South Bend I'd do it in a heart-beat.  Maybe the Cougs will play a non-conference game there sometime in the near future.  Hopefully new HC Mike Leach can turn things around and get them back on the map by then!  Been to Pac-12 games at Wazzu (more than I can count), OR, OR St., UW, and USC.  All were great college football atmospheres, but OR St. & Wazzu were the most fun.  Going to Camp Randall in 2014 to see Wazzu play Wisc and lookin forward to it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Mock 1st (New Orleans) - Mark Barron, S, Alabama Been a favorite of many on the forums for one of our 1st rounders, and rightfully so. Barron has improved a ton this year, especially in coverage. He is a versitile safety who would fit very nicely next to Chung. Would likely be a starter from day 1 from us, and the Saban connection doesn't hurt. Barron can lay the wood, is good in-the-box, but like mentioned, his coverage skills have improved and only have made him better. At this point, he may be gone by the time the Pats come on the clock, but for now, we will give him to us. 1st (New England) - Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor Might come as a surprise to some, others maybe not. But Kendall Wright is one of my favorite players in the country, and he fits exactly what the Patriots look for in a WR. No he isn't the big, physical guy that everyone wants, but he is fast, can stretch the field, but also is quick, agile, and has good COD. Good in tight spaces and after the catch. He is a riser at this point, and his stock will only get higher, another guy that by draft day may be out of our reach, in my opinion. But would be a nice fit, if available. *Also a trade out cantidate, per usual, here* 2nd (Oakland) - Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska Crick's injury may have cost him some money, but may ultimately make Pats fans happy. He will likely slide into Round 2 now. He is a favorite of mine. He is versitile along the DL, gives it 110% every down, and is a 3 down guy. He is relentless, and may not be the most athletic player, but is someone you want on your team and will be a starter for a long time for someone. 2nd (New England) - Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford Another favorite of the forum, Fleener is an in-line TE, who can also catch effectively. He was Luck's blanket at Stanford. He would fit nicely in the offense, when running 2 TE sets, and allow Hernandez to be used even more creatively, as well as Gronk. Fleener himself is a matchup problem, and if we add him, as well as Wright to our offense in one draft, we will get younger and much more explosive and dynamic offensively. 3rd - Leonard Johnson, CB, Iowa State Here is the CB finally. Johnson is a polished player who has shut down some top receivers while at Iowa State, including Justin Blackmon. He has good technique is versitile, and would add some solid depth to the core we have currently. He'd be a nice solid pick in the 3rd round but may be out of reach depending on how he does pre-draft. 4th - Broderick Binns, DE/OLB, Iowa Probably not the way everyone would like for the pass rush to be addressed in a draft. Binns isn't very flashy, but he simply makes plays. he is a little undersized, but can play both as a down lineman, but also stand up. Versitility, something BB loves, and would likely be a core special teamer. Binns is probably more of a 5th/6th rounder, but for the purposes of this exercise, I'll take him here. He will be a real solid player at the next level IMO. Adding Crick and Binns to the DL, and getting reinforcements through FA, and adding to the secondary with Barron/Johnson, I think our defense would look much better going into next year. Filling our needs certainly won't happen just through the draft, I firmly believe we need to add a pass rusher and a safety in free agency, and the draft will be about adding depth and a 3rd quality safety and filling other needs. We need to make the 2 processes go hand and hand successfully to turn our defense around. You are going to miss on draft picks, like BB has, and he is one of the best in the business. So bringing in veteran players and contributors through free agency, and spending money to fill needs with players that fit your scheme can only help for the future.
    Posted by sportslover21[/QUOTE]

SL,
    I'd be happy with this haul outside of the Rd 4 pick as I'd be more interested in a kid like NC State LB Audie Cole (6-4 245) or Boise State DE/OLB Shea McLellin (6-3 255) in the Rd 4 range.

Wright (or any WR) in Rd 1 would be unprecedented for BB, but the kid is def getting plenty of Rd 1 chatter.  The speed/quicks/skill set is definitely there, however he'll need plenty of work on his routes etc, nonetheless, I think he's a great fit in Foxboro.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : Hey MB- From what I've seen on Johnston, and this is only a 3 game sample, they pretty much had him playing Man coverage.  I don't recall seeing him in a zone set.  He is a very physical corner, does a great job jamming WRs at the line and seems to stick with them through the route.  His technique and footwork seem fine, and he looks pretty fluid for a 6'2 corner. Seems to be a good tackler and looked strong in run support.  His ability to quickly read the play and react to the ball in the air is what could really set him apart.  More often than not, he seems to put himself in good position to make a play on the ball when it's in the air and has good enough hands to make the pick when the opportunity is there. With all of this being said, you have to remember that he was playing FCS competition. I normally don't put much stock into the combine/workout numbers, but I think they will be very important for a guy like Johnston.  Speed looks good but not elite.  If I had to guess I'd say he runs around a 4.5.  He is very intriguing prospect who really stands out when you see him play. PS- I'm not a ND fan, but if I had a chance to see a game in South Bend I'd do it in a heart-beat.  Maybe the Cougs will play a non-conference game there sometime in the near future.  Hopefully new HC Mike Leach can turn things around and get them back on the map by then!  Been to Pac-12 games at Wazzu (more than I can count), OR, OR St., UW, and USC.  All were great college football atmospheres, but OR St. & Wazzu were the most fun.  Going to Camp Randall in 2014 to see Wazzu play Wisc and lookin forward to it.

Good stuff, I'll need to research him further.

Solid hire by Moos over at Wazzu, Leach is an excellent football coach and should turn that program around quick.

Camp Randall is another place that I'd love to see a football game... have always been a big fan of Big Ten football.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : SL, I'd be happy with this haul outside of the Rd 4 pick as I'd be more interested in a kid like NC State LB Audie Cole (6-4 245) or Boise State DE/OLB Shea McLellin (6-3 255) in the Rd 4 range. Wright (or any WR) in Rd 1 would be unprecedented for BB, but the kid is def getting plenty of Rd 1 chatter.  The speed/quicks/skill set is definitely there, however he'll need plenty of work on his routes etc, nonetheless, I think he's a great fit in Foxboro.

It certainly would be unprecedented for BB, but if there was anyone that would fit the bill this year or any year it may be Wright. He fits their prototype for the WR position and would look real good in NE. Really don't expect Wright to be the pick come April, but this mock was more of matching needs to players that I thought fit the team well and would be available at the projected picks.

For the 4th rounder, I was close to making Audie Cole the pick, but wasn't sure and still am not sure he lasts until the late 4th round. He is a real good player, would look good in New England but not sure he lasts until then. McLellin was also a consideration but in the end, I haven't seen enough of him, only a few games to make a judgement. Binns has impressed me every game I watch.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

Just some random thoughts. A few of my favorite players in the country and some guys who would be great fits in New England.

Alfonzo Dennard (CB, Nebraska) -- Dennard is someone who may not make it to the Patriots pick, but you never know on draft day. Dennard is a special player, and is rather underrated. To me he is a top 10 player in the upcoming class, but I see him getting draft more in the 15-20 range, so it isn't out of the question he could drop. BB isn't one to trade up in most cases, but if he did, a player like this would be the target. He would make it another CB pick, and may make fans frustrated. But he would slide right in and start from Day 1. He fits the Pats prototype and IMO is close to, sometimes better then his former teammate Prince Amukamara.

Courtney Upshaw (LB, Alabama) -- Another player who may not make it to the Pats but would fit very nicely in the Pats scheme. Saban-BB connection doesn't hurt either. A lot of you guys already know a lot about him, so no need to rehash things. But a 3 or 4 down player for the Patriots, someone who would  start and make an impact from day 1.

Kendall Wright (WR, Baylor) -- Already said some things in my mock above, but Wright is an awesome player, and special talent. He fits the Patriots prototype, has great speed, good in short areas, good COD, agility, etc. Likely a Round 1 pick, come April, and even though I gave him to us in the mock, not sure he will be in consideration for the Pats. We can only hope.

Mark Barron (S, Alabama) -- Another player discussed heavily, so I won't beat a dead horse. But a very good player, who has improved greatly in coverage this year, one of his concerns going into the year. Another guy who may not be available in April.

Devon Still (DT, Penn State) -- Awesome player, who screams Patriots to me. Is versitle, and someone who could be a 5-tech IMO, as well as an interior DT in a 4 man front. I'd take him in a second if he is available in April, but not so sure he will be.

Ryan Broyles (WR, Oklahoma) -- If WR position isn't addressed early on in the Draft, I hope the Pats snag Broyles, who when healthy was a Late 1st round guy, and even though he is coming off an ACL injury will be a very good player still in the pros IMO. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]Just some random thoughts. A few of my favorite players in the country and some guys who would be great fits in New England. Alfonzo Dennard (CB, Nebraska) -- Dennard is someone who may not make it to the Patriots pick, but you never know on draft day. Dennard is a special player, and is rather underrated. To me he is a top 10 player in the upcoming class, but I see him getting draft more in the 15-20 range, so it isn't out of the question he could drop. BB isn't one to trade up in most cases, but if he did, a player like this would be the target. He would make it another CB pick, and may make fans frustrated. But he would slide right in and start from Day 1. He fits the Pats prototype and IMO is close to, sometimes better then his former teammate Prince Amukamara. Courtney Upshaw (LB, Alabama) -- Another player who may not make it to the Pats but would fit very nicely in the Pats scheme. Saban-BB connection doesn't hurt either. A lot of you guys already know a lot about him, so no need to rehash things. But a 3 or 4 down player for the Patriots, someone who would  start and make an impact from day 1. Kendall Wright (WR, Baylor) -- Already said some things in my mock above, but Wright is an awesome player, and special talent. He fits the Patriots prototype, has great speed, good in short areas, good COD, agility, etc. Likely a Round 1 pick, come April, and even though I gave him to us in the mock, not sure he will be in consideration for the Pats. We can only hope. Mark Barron (S, Alabama) -- Another player discussed heavily, so I won't beat a dead horse. But a very good player, who has improved greatly in coverage this year, one of his concerns going into the year. Another guy who may not be available in April. Devon Still (DT, Penn State) -- Awesome player, who screams Patriots to me. Is versitle, and someone who could be a 5-tech IMO, as well as an interior DT in a 4 man front. I'd take him in a second if he is available in April, but not so sure he will be. Ryan Broyles (WR, Oklahoma) -- If WR position isn't addressed early on in the Draft, I hope the Pats snag Broyles, who when healthy was a Late 1st round guy, and even though he is coming off an ACL injury will be a very good player still in the pros IMO. 

All good players. It would be a gift if Upshaw or Dennard fell to us, but I don't see it happening. Either guy would most likely require a trade up, which wouldn't hurt my feelings.  Either player would have a positive impact on our Defense. Haven't seen much of Still, but heard good things.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Just some random thoughts. A few of my favorite players in the country and some guys who would be great fits in New England. Alfonzo Dennard (CB, Nebraska) -- Dennard is someone who may not make it to the Patriots pick, but you never know on draft day. Dennard is a special player, and is rather underrated. To me he is a top 10 player in the upcoming class, but I see him getting draft more in the 15-20 range, so it isn't out of the question he could drop. BB isn't one to trade up in most cases, but if he did, a player like this would be the target. He would make it another CB pick, and may make fans frustrated. But he would slide right in and start from Day 1. He fits the Pats prototype and IMO is close to, sometimes better then his former teammate Prince Amukamara. Courtney Upshaw (LB, Alabama) -- Another player who may not make it to the Pats but would fit very nicely in the Pats scheme. Saban-BB connection doesn't hurt either. A lot of you guys already know a lot about him, so no need to rehash things. But a 3 or 4 down player for the Patriots, someone who would  start and make an impact from day 1. Kendall Wright (WR, Baylor) -- Already said some things in my mock above, but Wright is an awesome player, and special talent. He fits the Patriots prototype, has great speed, good in short areas, good COD, agility, etc. Likely a Round 1 pick, come April, and even though I gave him to us in the mock, not sure he will be in consideration for the Pats. We can only hope. Mark Barron (S, Alabama) -- Another player discussed heavily, so I won't beat a dead horse. But a very good player, who has improved greatly in coverage this year, one of his concerns going into the year. Another guy who may not be available in April. Devon Still (DT, Penn State) -- Awesome player, who screams Patriots to me. Is versitle, and someone who could be a 5-tech IMO, as well as an interior DT in a 4 man front. I'd take him in a second if he is available in April, but not so sure he will be. Ryan Broyles (WR, Oklahoma) -- If WR position isn't addressed early on in the Draft, I hope the Pats snag Broyles, who when healthy was a Late 1st round guy, and even though he is coming off an ACL injury will be a very good player still in the pros IMO. 

Below are the 25 names that interest me the most at this point (assuming all were to declare), I've highlighted a couple of names that haven't been mentioned, but haven't really been discussed:

Mark Barron- S- Alabama
    Harrison Smith- S- ND
    Kenny Vaccaro- S- Texas
    Robert Lester- S- Alabama

Tyler Eifert- TE-ND

Kendall Wright- WR- Baylor
    Jarius Wright- WR- Arkansas
    Mohamed Sanu- WR- Rutgers
    Marquis Maze- WR- Alabama
    Devon Wylie- WR- Fresno State

Kawann Short- DT- Purdue
    Josh Chapman- DT- Alabama

Melvin Ingram- DE/OLB- South Carolina (he's trending upwards)
    Courtney Upshaw- DE/OLB- Alabama
    Sam Montgomery- DE/OLB- LSU (RS Soph)
    Shea McCLellin- DE/OLB- Boise State
    Devin Taylor- DE/OLB- South Carolina

Dont'a Hightower- LB- Alabama
    Audie Cole- LB- NC State
    Tank Carder- LB- TCU
    Ronnell Lewis- LB- Oklahoma

Stephon Gilmore- CB- South Carolina
    Janoris Jenkins- CB- North Alabama (big time character issues).
    Chase Minnifield- CB- Virginia
    Leonard Johnson- CB- Iowa State

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

My early hope is
    RD1
    Upshaw and Barron
    Rd 2
    Sanu and Fleener
    Rd 3
    Best available C