***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : Agree, very good assessment PE.  Here's where I can't get away from him, a few names I was really high on and all had some questions but they went to other teams don't know if I can take another one getting away, won't even mention Clay Matthews Spencer Connor Barwin Dunlap Kerrigan (picked 16, NE picked Solder 17) although they got a future LT they could had moved up 1 to pickup Kerrigan Jabaal Sheard Justin Houston Brooks Read (this one hurt as much as Barwin) Don't want another stud to get added to this list, I think I roll the dice. 
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

73 i thiunk im with you bu tim not sure i catch your gist in your short summation. agreed on pain of not taking guy s who produce like we have needed on d. it turned out we neede solder badly this year.
    adn i'd roll the dice toi get the top  d player(s) we need this year it that is what you mean.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]The guy I was screaming for a couple of years ago was Sean Lee from Penn State. He has had a monster year with the Cowboys. BB can be such an arrogant guy at times. Everyone was screaming for one of three defenders last draft - Watt, Kerrigan or Aldon Smith. All three have played well. We NEEDED to trade up and get one of those guys. What the hell did Dowling, Vereen or Mallet do for us this year? We couldn't have packaged picks and got the defender we needed? PatsEng...you are obviously one of the most knowledgable guys on this thread but as a diehard Longhorn fan I have to say you are way off on Blake Gideon. He misses a ton of tackles and was close to being benched this year. I'd take a late round flyer on another Horn safety, Christian Scott, who has been hurt  allot in his career but has much more physical talent than Gideon.
    Posted by pumpsiefan[/QUOTE]

aldon (d rookie of rhe year) kerrigan watt have produced. aldon was one of my top 2 favs if we could land them, kerriggan and watt who i settled on that we should nab just prior to the draft (due to likely reachability).

good post. thanks for the longhorn dope.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : That's why he'd be a day 3 guy pump. Sometimes I forget that not everyone gets into the draft as Brd, MB, or any of the other guys do and use general terms like day 3 guys as a way to set the bar. Usually day 3 guys are considered projects. They have potential but there is a reason why they are considered day 3 guys to begin with. Me saying that he's a day 3 guy was meant to imply that he has a number of weakness but when I talk about his abilities and potential I do so in comparisons of other day 3 guys and some late day 2 guys. Trust me Gideon is no where near a Lester, Barron, or Martin but if you can grab him in the 5th or 6th he's an interesting project with a Sanders (James) type of ceiling. Sorry about the confusion. I'll try to not assume so much in the future and also discuss his faults instead of tossing out generic terming bars like day 3 prospect
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

yeah eng,
       not all of us are pros ya know :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : Hey Pats, Mercilus is an interesting case indeed. Since Upshaw will most likely be gone by the time we pick Mercilus might be there. I've seen him range from 15-early 2nd round for the very reasons you stated. A 1 year product with high upside. Truthfully if I had to put money down on the top 3 OLB/DE's that the Pats have a shot at late in the 1st I would have to say Ingram, Curry, and Mercilus are the best of the bunch. Curry might be the best overall rusher of the group but lacks coverage skill and has trouble setting the edge limiting his ability as a 34 OLB. Ingram might have the best overall package of the 3 but is also heavier and slower which might make him more valuable as a DE then OLB. Mercilus has the best size, speed, rushing ability, and coverage ability to flex between 34 OLB and 43 DE. The only wild card I can see sneaking into the conversation is Jenkins. Like Mercilus has the size, speed, rushing ability, and coverage ability to play both 34 OLB and 43 DE. His tack record is better then Mercilus however, his seasons haven't been as productive as Mercilus. I'd break it down as: If I wanted the best overall 43 DE who can play 34 OLB I'd go Ingram If I wanted the best pass rusher I'd go Curry If I wanted the most consistent player who could switch from 34 OLB to 43 DE I'd go with Jenkins If I wanted the highest upside player who can play 34 OLB and 43 DE I'd go Mercilus For me I have a gut feeling Taylor is going to declare so I'd want him as a pure OLB which makes me want to can a DE primarily who can drop back so I'd go with Ingram

like it.
    all of those guys were on my initial list to the thread, except mercilus and taylor.
    hoping for multiples at the top of our selections.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : 73 i thiunk im with you bu tim not sure i catch your gist in your short summation. agreed on pain of not taking guy s who produce like we have needed on d. it turned out we neede solder badly this year. adn i'd roll the dice toi get the top  d player(s) we need this year it that is what you mean.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

Kerrigan absolutely hurts less because of what Solder has done and all the playing time he's gotten but still hurts to see a LB/DE of that caliber gone.

Also with their 2nd 1st rnd pick (gone to NO) and a second they could had gone up and gotten both Kerrigan and Solder.  But on the other hand, I think BB did the right thing and finds himself (again) with 3 picks in the top 60.  wow am I all over the map with this one lol

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Have to be honest, the hardest two picks to mock here were the 1st 2.  With this in mind I would not be surprised if one of them is traded. 

1/4/2012 
    PickPositPlayerSize/Weight
    28OLBZach Brown6'2" 230 lbs
    32DTBrandon Thompson6'2" 310 lbs
    48OCBen Jones6'3" 316 lbs
    64DEAlex Okafor6'4" 260 lbs
    95SHarrison Smith6'2" 215 lbs
    127WRJarius Wright5'10" 180 lbs

Zach Brown provides BB with a true 43 OLB who can drop in coverage or blitz, very speedy but insanely strong for his size.  Doesn't need to come out on 1st or 2nd down.

I have no idea why I feel Okafor has a very good chance to end up with the Patriots.  Just got that feeling about value/pick ect (nothing to do with the other Okafor).  he's got the speed size and power BB looks for in that type player.  If Carter and Anderson are back it gives Okafor a full year to become a starter.  As a rookie he can add another fresh leg pass rusher.

Brandon Thompson is a kid I think will be talked about more as the draft gets closer.  I didn't see in a few games any real concerns plus I saw him a ton playing in the backfield.

Ben Jones, this kid is a power house can play OG as well as able to start at C next season. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : Kerrigan absolutely hurts less because of what Solder has done and all the playing time he's gotten but still hurts to see a LB/DE of that caliber gone. Also with their 2nd 1st rnd pick (gone to NO) and a second they could had gone up and gotten both Kerrigan and Solder.  But on the other hand, I think BB did the right thing and finds himself (again) with 3 picks in the top 60.  wow am I all over the map with this one lol

i hear you on double dpping last year, i  woulda. nic ewhat we have this year only if we use it! (but front 7 is not as full as last year with top players).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Have to be honest, the hardest two picks to mock here were the 1st 2.  With this in mind I would not be surprised if one of them is traded.      1/4/2012   Pick Posit Player Size/Weight 28 OLB Zach Brown 6'2" 230 lbs 32 DT Brandon Thompson 6'2" 310 lbs 48 OC Ben Jones 6'3" 316 lbs 64 DE Alex Okafor 6'4" 260 lbs 95 S Harrison Smith 6'2" 215 lbs 127 WR Jarius Wright 5'10" 180 lbs Zach Brown provides BB with a true 43 OLB who can drop in coverage or blitz, very speedy but insanely strong for his size.  Doesn't need to come out on 1st or 2nd down. I have no idea why I feel Okafor has a very good chance to end up with the Patriots.  Just got that feeling about value/pick ect (nothing to do with the other Okafor).  he's got the speed size and power BB looks for in that type player.  If Carter and Anderson are back it gives Okafor a full year to become a starter.  As a rookie he can add another fresh leg pass rusher. Brandon Thompson is a kid I think will be talked about more as the draft gets closer.  I didn't see in a few games any real concerns plus I saw him a ton playing in the backfield. Ben Jones, this kid is a power house can play OG as well as able to start at C next season. 

i dotnthink i have seen brown mocked that low. love to get a top lb.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Have to be honest, the hardest two picks to mock here were the 1st 2.  With this in mind I would not be surprised if one of them is traded.      1/4/2012   Pick Posit Player Size/Weight 28 OLB Zach Brown 6'2" 230 lbs 32 DT Brandon Thompson 6'2" 310 lbs 48 OC Ben Jones 6'3" 316 lbs 64 DE Alex Okafor 6'4" 260 lbs 95 S Harrison Smith 6'2" 215 lbs 127 WR Jarius Wright 5'10" 180 lbs Zach Brown provides BB with a true 43 OLB who can drop in coverage or blitz, very speedy but insanely strong for his size.  Doesn't need to come out on 1st or 2nd down. I have no idea why I feel Okafor has a very good chance to end up with the Patriots.  Just got that feeling about value/pick ect (nothing to do with the other Okafor).  he's got the speed size and power BB looks for in that type player.  If Carter and Anderson are back it gives Okafor a full year to become a starter.  As a rookie he can add another fresh leg pass rusher. Brandon Thompson is a kid I think will be talked about more as the draft gets closer.  I didn't see in a few games any real concerns plus I saw him a ton playing in the backfield. Ben Jones, this kid is a power house can play OG as well as able to start at C next season. 

Sure seems that UNC has a bunch of day 1/2 kids every year, I must admit that I'm not a fan of their kids though, same with USC, not sure why... the always seem to be over-hyped I guess, ha.  Hightower is my #1 LB target in Rd 1, kid could impact from multiple positions within multiple schemes.

As for Brown, I'm not sure BB would wanna lock himself into a smaller (good height, but 230 is small for a BB ILB, curious to his actual weight) 4/3 type OLB high in the draft unless he's set on moving to more base 43.  I still think he'd prefer kids that could play in both schemes.

I think Thompson will be in the discussion for sure based on his size and position.

Jones is a kid that I'm very high on and think he could be the target for them on Day 2.  Love the size, toughness and experience etc.

Okafor I'm not very familiar with.

Smith is a kid that I see on a weekly basis and am very high on.  Very good instincts and awareness and is always around the football.  He has very good size and is excellent in run support.  He's still pretty new to the S position as he played some LB at ND, but the kid has some upside.

I love Jarius Wright and while his size is far from ideal, the kid has electric speed, excellent quicks and fluidity, brings a ton of big play/RAC ability and is a proven player in the SEC. 

Both Jones and Wright are kids that I'll prob have in my V2 mock.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I still think Kuechly is the best of the LB's coming out. My favorite WR in this draft is Y.A. Hilton,DE/OLB Mel Ingram,DB Logan Ryan....beyond these guys I don't have a clue..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]I still think Kuechly is the best of the LB's coming out. My favorite WR in this draft is Y.A. Hilton,DE/OLB Mel Ingram,DB Logan Ryan....beyond these guys I don't have a clue..
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

Prob is, Kuechly will be off the board in the top 10-15, which will be too rich for BB's blood, awesome football player though.

Ingram is another kid that will likely be off the board in the top 15 as he's one of the most versatile kids in this class and can really get after the QB comes at a premium.

Hilton is a kid that should interest them with his excellent speed/quicks and RAC ability.

Ryan is a kid that I had to google as I hadn't heard of him, good sized kid, looks like a RS Soph.  Tell me more about him?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : Sure seems that UNC has a bunch of day 1/2 kids every year, I must admit that I'm not a fan of their kids though, same with USC, not sure why... the always seem to be over-hyped I guess, ha.  Hightower is my #1 LB target in Rd 1, kid could impact from multiple positions within multiple schemes. As for Brown, I'm not sure BB would wanna lock himself into a smaller (good height, but 230 is small for a BB ILB, curious to his actual weight) 4/3 type OLB high in the draft unless he's set on moving to more base 43.  I still think he'd prefer kids that could play in both schemes. I think Thompson will be in the discussion for sure based on his size and position. Jones is a kid that I'm very high on and think he could be the target for them on Day 2.  Love the size, toughness and experience etc. Okafor I'm not very familiar with. Smith is a kid that I see on a weekly basis and am very high on.  Very good instincts and awareness and is always around the football.  He has very good size and is excellent in run support.  He's still pretty new to the S position as he played some LB at ND, but the kid has some upside. I love Jarius Wright and while his size is far from ideal, the kid has electric speed, excellent quicks and fluidity, brings a ton of big play/RAC ability and is a proven player in the SEC.  Both Jones and Wright are kids that I'll prob have in my V2 mock.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

re:"Hightower is my #1 LB target in Rd 1, kid could impact from multiple positions within multiple schemes."

hes been one of my favs from the start (and my feeling has been that he's the most likely we could land) wouldnt mind having upshaw and hightower (not that it's likely).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I still think Kuechly is the best of the LB's coming out. My favorite WR in this draft is Y.A. Hilton,DE/OLB Mel Ingram,DB Logan Ryan....beyond these guys I don't have a clue..
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

sports, i like ingram (on my initial list). i'm not sure we have a shot at Kuechly.
    he may be the top lb picked.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

Here are some of my guys I think the Patriots should target with each pick:

1st Round (NO and NE):
    Courtney Upshaw - LB - Alabama - 6'2" - 265lbs - (Trade Up)
    Devon Still - DT - Penn State - 6'4" - 310lbs - (Possible Trade Up)
    Michael Floyd - WR - Notre Dame - 6'3" - 224lbs
    Kendall Wright - WR - Baylor - 5'10" - 190lbs
    Alfonzo Dennard - CB - Nebraska - 5'10" - 205lbs
    Mark Barron - SS - Alabama - 6'2" - 218lbs
    Janoris Jenkins - CB - North Alabama - 5'10" - 182lbs
    Melvin Ingram - DE/LB - South Carolina - 6'2" - 276lbs (Possible Trade Up)
    Dont'a Hightower - LB - Alabama - 6'4" - 260lbs
    Sam Montgomery - DE/LB - LSU - 6'4" - 245lbs

2nd Round (OAK):
    Jared Crick - DE - Nebraska - 6'4" 285lbs
    Ben Jones - OC - Georgia - 6'3" - 316lbs
    Vinny Curry - DE - Marshall - 6'3" - 263lbs
    Coby Fleener - TE - Stanford - 6'6" - 245lbs
    Stephon Gilmore - CB - South Carolina - 6'1" - 193lbs
    Alameda Ta'amu - DT - Washington - 6'3" - 337lbs
    Mohammed Sanu - WR - Rutgers - 6'2" - 215lbs 

2nd Round (NE):
    Ben Jones - OC - Georgia - 6'3" - 316lbs
    Brian Quick - WR - Appalachian State - 6'4" - 216lbs
    Nick Toon - WR - Wisconsin - 6'2" - 220lbs
    Tyler Eifert - TE - Notre Dame - 6'5" - 249lbs
    Brandon Thompson - DT - Clemson - 6'2" - 310lbs
    Jammell Flemming - CB - Oklahome - 5'11" - 192lbs

3rd Round:
    Robert Lester - S - Alabama - 6'2" - 210lbs
    Harrison Smith - S - Notre Dame - 6'2" - 215lbs
    Audie Cole - LB - NC State - 6'4" - 239lbs
    Alex Okafor - DE/LB - Texas - 6'4" - 260lbs
    Jarius Wright - WR - Arkansas - 5'10" - 180lbs
    Mike Brewster - C - Ohio State - 6'4" - 305lbs
    Kendall Reyes - DT - UConn - 6'4" - 296lbs

4th Round:
    Ryan Broyles - WR - Oklahoma - 5'10" - 188lbs
    Casey Heyward - CB - Vanderbilt - 5'11" - 188lbs
    Derek Wolfe - DT - Cinncinati - 6'5" - 300lbs
    Jake Bequette - DE - Arkansas - 6'5" - 275lbs

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

Texas DE Alex Okafor hasn't declared yet and should definately come back for his senior year as he has had only one productive season. They had him at DT last year due to being thin there.  I am against drafting guys in the first or second round based on one year of productivity. Though the Giants DE Jean Pierre whatever sure proves me wrong there. Still, Okafor would be a risk.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]Antonio Allen, the 6-2 205 S from South Carolina should be added to the discussion as well.  Good size, active kid, always around the football, solid tackler, spends a lot of time down in the box, but projects as a solid zone safety as well.  He also made a fair amout of plays this season, 3 INT's (1 TD), 2 PBU, 4 FF to go along with 81 tackles.  Prob a day 3 kid at this point.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

that kid looked good against neb.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]...3B - Devin Taylor OLB - This kid is 6'7" and is good-great in coverage. He should honestly stay in school but rumors are he's declaring. This kid has a ton of talent and great size. It would be well worth taking him in the 3rd and letting him work. Esp, if you get his teammate Ingram in the ...

not buying taylor at 3b, at least not this year...

basing it on what he showed against neb. he looked afraid to slug it out in traffic. and when it looked like he was easy to bring down. definitely a liability against the run. he'd have to bulk up a bit... a project. i don't think the pats should go there for 3b.

i would rather risk that 3b on broyles if he's available.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

mb,
      with hightower, am thinking if he falls to 26 or maybe even 25, it  might be smart to trade up ahead of baltimore and pitt both of whom know what to do with good lb's, and ditto houston with good defensive players. unless we knew what houston was doing, id seriously consider trading up (including a pick from next yr) to 25 or so if he falls. of course he would have to be bb's highest player on his board. after getting fa db(s) in fa, lb and de/dt to me are my highest needs. your thoughts and anyone else chime in.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : Sure seems that UNC has a bunch of day 1/2 kids every year, I must admit that I'm not a fan of their kids though, same with USC, not sure why... the always seem to be over-hyped I guess, ha.  Hightower is my #1 LB target in Rd 1, kid could impact from multiple positions within multiple schemes. As for Brown, I'm not sure BB would wanna lock himself into a smaller (good height, but 230 is small for a BB ILB, curious to his actual weight) 4/3 type OLB high in the draft unless he's set on moving to more base 43.  I still think he'd prefer kids that could play in both schemes. I think Thompson will be in the discussion for sure based on his size and position. Jones is a kid that I'm very high on and think he could be the target for them on Day 2.  Love the size, toughness and experience etc. Okafor I'm not very familiar with. Smith is a kid that I see on a weekly basis and am very high on.  Very good instincts and awareness and is always around the football.  He has very good size and is excellent in run support.  He's still pretty new to the S position as he played some LB at ND, but the kid has some upside. I love Jarius Wright and while his size is far from ideal, the kid has electric speed, excellent quicks and fluidity, brings a ton of big play/RAC ability and is a proven player in the SEC.  Both Jones and Wright are kids that I'll prob have in my V2 mock. Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE] I really like Jones, I get to watch a ton of UGA and he's the real deal. Add jones to a line with LT Solder LG Mankins C Jones RG Cannon RT Vollmer and that's probably the best OL the Pats have had in a long time and should be together for the rest of Brady's career. On Brown, I like him as an OLB in a 43. He brings a differet set of skills specially speed and ability to cover or rush. I think Smith might need a year to become a 4 down S but his a blue collar type, having experience at LB is a plus in BB scheme IMO. Wright,man that guy can plain out fly but he is a very good receiver not just speed. With WW future unknown Wright should be high on the priority list

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : not buying taylor at 3b, at least not this year... basing it on what he showed against neb. he looked afraid to slug it out in traffic. and when it looked like he was easy to bring down. definitely a liability against the run. he'd have to bulk up a bit... a project. i don't think the pats should go there for 3b. i would rather risk that 3b on broyles if he's available.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

I think you're underestimating him based off one game. It's hard to pass up on that size and speed alone and though he didn't show up early in the year he picked it up and had a season similar to 10' since the beginning of the season which shows he can produce. He's a little bit of a project but I mean he's a late 3rd round pick with high upside. I'd rather take a chance on a kid that's been productive with those kind of triangle numbers in the 3rd then a WR who relies on quick cuts and speed with a ACL injury and I love Broyles. If we have an extra 3rd I'd take Broyles in a heart beat or if he makes it to the 4th

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

hey Pats,

had a chance to go over your ideas and have some thoughts on them:

Brown - To me he's the poor mans version of Von Miller. With Miller performing so well this year this is going to boast Brown's stock considerably and many teams might be willing to overlook his off-field issues for a chance to have their own version of Von Miller. I don't think Brown makes it out of the top 10 imo but if he somehow fell to the Pats he's worth a shot. Though I don't like his size at all and I think he would be limited to purely passing downs with the Pats (similar to how Den is starting to limit Von) he would bring a dynamic rusher teams would have to plan around. However, I wouldn't trade up for him and I doubt he falls to us

Thompson - I've been up and down about him all year. I don't like his height as a 34 DE but as a 43 DT he has great size. He takes on dbl teams consistently which has affected his numbers behind the line but even still he's not an effective pocket pusher. His main asset is in run defense. Short of Poe at 350lb Thompson might be the best run defender in the draft and for a 43 system he'd be a great find. I just don't think run support is the biggest priority for the DL this year and imo the Pats system is more fluid transferring between 34 and 43 fronts. I'd like to find a younger version of say a Ellis who could move inside as a DT but could also move outside as a DE. I'd like to find someone to replace/upgrade Ellis, Brace, and Deadrick as I think Love is a good run stuffing DT. If he's there Thompson is hard to pass up but I'd rather take a Still and maybe take a chance on a Wolfe over Thompson just because of their ability to generate pressure.

Jones - I love Jones but I'm also in the belief that you don't spend high on a C. I think with Scar that you can get a mid to late round and he can be coached up around Brady's tendencies. I would not complain at all if they took Jones but it's just my preference not to take a C that early

Okafor - I like the pick in the late 2nd. Okafor has some great tools and abilities that he hasn't fully utilized yet but he's been steadily improving. If he stays in school I expect him to be a 1st rounder in 13' so getting him in the late 2nd would be a great pick up. The only thing I'd be hesistant about is that he reminds me of Cunningham but it's not a big enough concern that I wouldn't take him with our late 2nd pick if he's there.

Smith - Smith is one pick I'd have trouble with honestly. He is extremely inconsistent in coverage (ala USC and Michigan) depending on the physical ability of the receivers across from him. He has good instincts and makes smart football plays putting himself in the position to make the play but, he's limited athletically which is where I think he's hurt the most. He doesn't have great speed or recovery speed, and gets stiff in the hips at times which to me says that he's more of a SS at the next level then a FS. I know he has great PBU numbers and he had 7 ints in 10' but because of physical limitations I just don't think he can help overtop. To me he's best utilized in the box where his instincts could pay off in underneath coverage, filling gaps on runs, and sniffing out screens and gimmick plays. Unfortunately that's a role Chung fills very well. So, I guess if you are concerned about Chungs ability to stay on the field that Smith is a great backup plan but I'd rather target a FS first and Chungs backup second.

Wright - Like MB I like Wright ability but hate his size. He's not tremendously fast for his size but has great YAC ability and really ate up yards against teams like T A&M but against Pro style secondary's like LSU he's had issues. Mainly because they played press and never gave him a clean release. Wright translates to a slot receiver at the next level which concerns me about finding a spot for him on the Pats. Frankly we are full of slot receivers and no outside the numbers guys. Welker is a slot guy, Hernandez is a HB who works out of the slot most times, Branch at this point of his career is better as a slot guy. The other big issue is that teams have learned the best way to defend the Pats receivers is to press them at the line and not let them get a clean release which is Wrights biggest weakness. I just don't see where Wright would fit or how affective he'd be if he gets bumped at the line.

I like most of the players you mentioned and can envision the Pats taking any of them really but some of them are too similar to players currently on the team and don't address the problems I see on the field. Namely; consistently generating pressure on the QB from the DL, coverage help over top, and an outside the numbers WR to counter press coverage.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

I know I am basing my opinion off of one game but DE Mel Ingram looked like straight up garbage.  I really hope the Pats don't get him.  

Clemson DT Thompson on the other hand looked very explosive and i really wouldn't mind the Pats taking him in the first.  He may not be there though since his stock is on the rise.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]mb,   with hightower, am thinking if he falls to 26 or maybe even 25, it  might be smart to trade up ahead of baltimore and pitt both of whom know what to do with good lb's, and ditto houston with good defensive players. unless we knew what houston was doing, id seriously consider trading up (including a pick from next yr) to 25 or so if he falls. of course he would have to be bb's highest player on his board. after getting fa db(s) in fa, lb and de/dt to me are my highest needs. your thoughts and anyone else chime in.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking he's available somewhere at the bottom of Rd 1, though he is a kid that I'd hope they trade up a few spots for if need be.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]I know I am basing my opinion off of one game but DE Mel Ingram looked like straight up garbage.  I really hope the Pats don't get him.   Clemson DT Thompson on the other hand looked very explosive and i really wouldn't mind the Pats taking him in the first.  He may not be there though since his stock is on the rise.
    Posted by Army2LT[/QUOTE]

Melvin Ingram will probably be long gone by the time NE picks in Rd 1.  I think he's off the board in the top 15 or so.  Kid is one of the more versatile players in the draft and can rush the passer, that comes at a premium.

Sections
Shortcuts