***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED:
    MB, That's a nice backup list of players. I like your two CB's as players, but want to pull the stubborn card and not touch a CB in round 1 in the draft. Therefore, I'll comment on Poe & Burflict. Poe as you said is raw. He's a mammoth of a man, but I've seen several reports where he has poor technique and often gets handled by guards. he has conditioniing issues, etc. A guy like this could have enormous upside, pardon the pun. However, with our 1st (as I believe the other will be traded out), I think we need someone a bit more day 1 ready. I'd rather take a shot at Still, Cox, Wolfe who may all be there. There is also a snowballs chance that your man Ingram and even Hightower could be withing striking range of a short trade up. I would do 2-4 spots up from where we pick to get either one of them. Burfict was one of my favorite players to watch coming into this year. I absolutely had not doubt in his playing ability and I think he has a lot of potential. He can be special because he brings it all on the field. The big question I have on him as I'm sure everyone does is, can BB get him under control? He sometimes plays out of control and undisciplined. My worry is the Pats are such a system oriented defense that he would blow assignments to go take someone's head off. Not a bad problem to have if you can channel it. I'm 60/40 on him. 60 take, 40 not take. If Hightower or Ingram are not here and we pass on Burfict, I would wait until round 2 to look at taking Ronnell Lewis, Audie Cole in round 4. I didn't list Irvin because I think he's a project. Very raw and somewhat disappeared this season rushign the passer which is supposely his best skill set.
    Posted by PatsLifer

PL,
    Yeah, I def wanna see Poe for myself (haven't found any onfield tape on him) to get a better idea of my true feelings on him, but he is rated pretty highly by most publications, or so it seems.

Gilmore/Minnifield could become more interesting if we see more of DMC at safety during the playoffs, look forward to following that development or lack there of.  Gilmore could also have value for them at S as he possesses excellent size (listed 6-1 195) and has a solid build, to go along with his ability in coverage and as a run defender/tackler.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : Hey moskk, first thank you. Second I agree BB does appear hesitant to move up in the first but I think that's more based on either the amount of talent available or the cost of moving up. If it's a couple spots to get a player he is targeting and gets a sense that a team like Bal will select the player ahead of him I think he would make the move (ie Gronk or Ty is a better example in the 1st). The problem being that the talent level around where we he picks has either been fairly good with players he brought in to look at or has been weak to the point he'd have to move up 5+ picks to get a player they brought in to look at. Moving up 5+ picks is quite costly so you have to be sure that the player is the right pick to begin and also imo BB has this notion that from picks 25-45 you can find other players of similar talent levels in other areas of need. Now this philosophy hasn't always worked out but it hasn't hurt us either in comparison to other teams picks. What has hurt us is BB's seemingly high standards when it comes to certain positions and unwillingness to bend those standards. A prime example BB even admitted himself was Matthews. BB in not so many words said that Matthews didn't find the profile they had for an OLB and he regretted not moving outside that profile for him. In the case brd cited a move of 2-3 spots in the back half of the 1st is a minor move. You are talking a 4th or 5th really so if they were targeting Hightower or Ingram the value of the 4th imo is well worth the cost to move ahead of a team like Bal to get their guy provided they feel that nether will make it past the team at #29 or Bal. You see it's all about value of the trade verses the player themselves. A minor move in the backend of the round has value with minimal risk but moving up to the late teens early twenties is very costly with higher risk if the player doesn't work out. I'm just hoping BB realizes the vast difference in the D, esp the secondary, when players like Anderson and Carter managed to create pressure on QB. This might entice him to take a risk on similarly talented younger players then to skip over one that doesn't fit his idealized mold. As for trading one of the 1st back, this year I'm all in favor of it if the value is there. I see a lot of the talent the Pats could target being in the late 1st to early 3rd. If a team gets desperate for a Poe or if Jeffery falls and there is another Dal type of deal you take it. I could easily envision a team like Was or KC moving back into the 1st giving up a 3rd this year and a 1st next year to get a Poe or a team like the Eagles or Car trying to move up to grab a Floyd, Jeffery, or Jones and giving up a 2nd and a 4th
    Posted by PatsEng

"I'm just hoping BB realizes the vast difference in the D, esp the secondary, when players like Anderson and Carter managed to create pressure on QB. This might entice him to take a risk on similarly talented younger players then to skip
    over one that doesn't fit his idealized mold."

like it.

re moving down from first to a 4th and 2nd or 3rd adn 1st

i dont want to move from 1st to 3rd or 4th this year (maybe to 2nd this year if we can get the players targeted). prefer to stay or move up a couple (or down a couple)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : Absolutely!!  We don't want Hightower taking over for Ray Lewis and have the beat go on in Baltimore.  Let's hope the Saints fall to the 49ers this weekend so that this is not an issue.  We can then take Hightower ahead of them like we did Gronk.  They might be looking to leapfrog us like we did to them in 2010. I do think Ingram and Hightower both still being on the board this late is unrealistic.  However, I think we will have at least one of these guys we like to select from: Hightower, Konz, Barron, Sanu.
    Posted by Faucetman

faucet,
    Let's hope the Saints fall to the 49ers this weekend so that this is not an issue.  We can then take Hightower ahead of them like we did Gronk. 

amen brother!

I do think Ingram and Hightower both still being on the board this late is unrealistic.  However, I think we will have at least one of these guys we like to select from: Hightower, Konz, Barron, Sanu.

agreed i wil be back later tonight to elaborate on this and something similar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

UP UP UP. Sometimes I think BB is so arrogant he actually wants to coach a defense of totally undrafted guys just to prove his genius. Didn't we start a D with at least five or six undrafted guys this year? What real Pats fan wouldn't kill to have a Clay Mathews or Brian Cushing or Brook Reed at LB now? Or a Watt or Kerrigan or Aldon Smith on the line. Tell me you wouldn't trade the Saints pick and Vereen and Mallet for JJ Watt right now? Talent wins, and the Pats defense may be the most untalented in the history of the playoffs. MOVE UP in the draft and get us some talent on D. Please.
    Posted by pumpsiefan

been joking that it's his plan to win a super bowl to show he is the best coach of all time and brady the best qb of all time by winning it with a record setting worst defense

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Faucet thanks for the format, stole it from you jaja Here's my roster with draft and a few FAs, I think this would be a solid group Projected 2012 Roster OFFENSE 19 Players Slot 30 W Welker '11 25 Edelman '12   WR 33 Branch '11 24 Underwood '11 26 M Slater '11 LOT 23 N Solder '15 Bradley Sowell  127th   LG 30 Mankins '16     C Ben Jones  48th 25 Wendell '11   ROG 34 B Waters '12 24 Nick McDonald '11   RT 27 Vollmer '12 23 M. Cannon '14   TE 23 Gronkowski '13 21 Hernandez '13 23 Dickerson '11 QB 34 Tom Brady '14 23 Mallett '14   RB 26 Green-Ellis '11 26 Woodhead '12     23 S. Ridley '14 23 S. Veeren '14   WR 30 Brandon Lloyd Jarius Wright 64th           DEFENSE 21 Players     DE  32 A Carter '11 24 Deaderick '13 23 Cunningham '13 DT 29 Wilfork '14 24 Brace '12   DT 27 Adam Carriker Kheeston Randall 95th 26 M Pryor '12 DE Whitney Mercilus 32nd 28 M Anderson '11   OLB 25 Mayo '17 27 Bryan Kehl   ILB 24 B Spikes '13 25 Fletcher '12   OLB Zach Brown  28th 27 Ninkovich '11 25 Guyton '11 LCB 24 McCourty '14 23 Dowling '14 21 Moore '13 RCB 25 Arrington '12 26 Molden '11 29 Jones '11 SS 24 Chung '12 27 J. Barrett '12 28 Ihedigbo '11 FS 28 Reggie Nelson Eddie Whitley 176th     SPECIAL TEAMS 3     PK 27 Gostkowski '14   PS P 24 Z. Mesko '13   Markell Carter LS 23 D Aiken   Matt Kopa         Pick   Player Size/Weight 28 OLB Zach Brown 6'2" 230 lbs 32 DE Whitney Mercilus 6'4" 265 lbs 48 OC Ben Jones 6'3" 316 lbs 64 WR Jarius Wright 5'10" 180 lbs 95 DT Kheeston Randall 6'5" 305 lbs 127 OT Bradley Sowell 6'7" 315 lbs 176 FS Eddie Whitley 6'0" 190 lbs         Traded       Chad Ochocinco traded to Philly for 6th rnd, 176           Released/Cut/Not Resigned     Connolly       S. Brown       White       Light               FA Signed       Reggie Nelson FS 5'11" 208 lbs  28yrs   Brandon Lloyd WR 6'0" 188 lbs 30yrs   Adam Carriker DT/DE 6'6" 310 27yrs     Bryan Kehl OLB 6'2" 237 27yrs    
    Posted by Pats7393

i love a lot of this however id substitute to get fleener!

exceptional.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

most know i want the dbs in fa not the draft.
    dont want a slow, gap plugger a la wilfork
    yes to any penetrator

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seajere. Show seajere's posts

This and the two other threads on the '2012 draft' suggest that this forum has become a wasteland. 
    There's a Divisional Playoff game this weekend Pats fans. Does anyone know where the real pats fans are discussing the game? 
    Where're Texas Pat and all the other knowledgeable Patriot fans?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

This and the two other threads on the '2012 draft' suggest that this forum has become a wasteland.  There's a Divisional Playoff game this weekend Pats fans. Does anyone know where the real pats fans are discussing the game?  Where're Texas Pat and all the other knowledgeable Patriot fans?
    Posted by seajere

You're right seajere, there's clearly zero demand for draft discussion on BDC and here I was thinking that I was a real Patriots fan...

Oh and there's also this cool button on the main page called "Start new discussion", when you click on it, it let's you start a thread about any topic you want... I know, awesome, right?!  Maybe give it a try, then you'll have your Divisional Playoff discussion for real Pats fans...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : You're right seajere, there's clearly zero demand for draft discussion on BDC and here I was thinking that I was a real Patriots fan... On and there's also this cool button on the main page called "Start new discussion", when you click on it, it let's you start a thread about any topic you want... I know, awesome, right?!  Maybe give it a try, then you'll have your Divisional Playoff discussion for real Pats fans...
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

(tries to hide laughing my butt off :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Faucet thanks for the format, stole it from you jaja Here's my roster with draft and a few FAs, I think this would be a solid group Projected 2012 Roster OFFENSE 19 Players Slot 30 W Welker '11 25 Edelman '12   WR 33 Branch '11 24 Underwood '11 26 M Slater '11 LOT 23 N Solder '15 Bradley Sowell  127th   LG 30 Mankins '16     C Ben Jones  48th 25 Wendell '11   ROG 34 B Waters '12 24 Nick McDonald '11   RT 27 Vollmer '12 23 M. Cannon '14   TE 23 Gronkowski '13 21 Hernandez '13 23 Dickerson '11 QB 34 Tom Brady '14 23 Mallett '14   RB 26 Green-Ellis '11 26 Woodhead '12     23 S. Ridley '14 23 S. Veeren '14   WR 30 Brandon Lloyd Jarius Wright 64th           DEFENSE 21 Players     DE  32 A Carter '11 24 Deaderick '13 23 Cunningham '13 DT 29 Wilfork '14 24 Brace '12   DT 27 Adam Carriker Kheeston Randall 95th 26 M Pryor '12 DE Whitney Mercilus 32nd 28 M Anderson '11   OLB 25 Mayo '17 27 Bryan Kehl   ILB 24 B Spikes '13 25 Fletcher '12   OLB Zach Brown  28th 27 Ninkovich '11 25 Guyton '11 LCB 24 McCourty '14 23 Dowling '14 21 Moore '13 RCB 25 Arrington '12 26 Molden '11 29 Jones '11 SS 24 Chung '12 27 J. Barrett '12 28 Ihedigbo '11 FS 28 Reggie Nelson Eddie Whitley 176th     SPECIAL TEAMS 3     PK 27 Gostkowski '14   PS P 24 Z. Mesko '13   Markell Carter LS 23 D Aiken   Matt Kopa         Pick   Player Size/Weight 28 OLB Zach Brown 6'2" 230 lbs 32 DE Whitney Mercilus 6'4" 265 lbs 48 OC Ben Jones 6'3" 316 lbs 64 WR Jarius Wright 5'10" 180 lbs 95 DT Kheeston Randall 6'5" 305 lbs 127 OT Bradley Sowell 6'7" 315 lbs 176 FS Eddie Whitley 6'0" 190 lbs         Traded       Chad Ochocinco traded to Philly for 6th rnd, 176           Released/Cut/Not Resigned     Connolly       S. Brown       White       Light               FA Signed       Reggie Nelson FS 5'11" 208 lbs  28yrs   Brandon Lloyd WR 6'0" 188 lbs 30yrs   Adam Carriker DT/DE 6'6" 310 27yrs     Bryan Kehl OLB 6'2" 237 27yrs    
    Posted by Pats7393

Wow, that would be something!!  Anybody is free to use my depth chart:).  I really think Mercilus has tremendous upside.  It's not hard to imagine he will fly up draft boards with a strong Combine.  He could end up out of reach.  I think a lot of 34 teams will be looking at him but not sure he can be an every down 43 DE.  But I think he is perfect for the Pats scheme.  BB will move him all over the place, if we can get him.

Light is signed for another year.  I've been a detractor of his but have to say, we are so lucky we kept him.  Can you imagine how things may have been different if Light was gone and Vollmer got hurt and Cannon was still on the PUP?  I think we should keep him one more year but perhaps start Solder at LT and use Light in power sets with Solder moving to TE.  That way if any OT goes down, Light can start again and we have little drop off.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : You're right seajere, there's clearly zero demand for draft discussion on BDC and here I was thinking that I was a real Patriots fan... On and there's also this cool button on the main page called "Start new discussion", when you click on it, it let's you start a thread about any topic you want... I know, awesome, right?!  Maybe give it a try, then you'll have your Divisional Playoff discussion for real Pats fans...
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

It's amazing, a hundred new topics get posted each day with many about the play-offs.  I'm sick of all the Tebow talk, even though I really admire the kid and what he's done for Denver.  There is always 1 or 2 "fans" that come on here with no interest in the draft just to bust our baws.  I find a 2 week gap in games boring so talking about the future helps past the time. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : Wow, that would be something!!  Anybody is free to use my depth chart:).  I really think Mercilus has tremendous upside.  It's not hard to imagine he will fly up draft boards with a strong Combine.  He could end up out of reach.  I think a lot of 34 teams will be looking at him but not sure he can be an every down 43 DE.  But I think he is perfect for the Pats scheme.  BB will move him all over the place, if we can get him. Light is signed for another year.  I've been a detractor of his but have to say, we are so lucky we kept him.  Can you imagine how things may have been different if Light was gone and Vollmer got hurt and Cannon was still on the PUP?  I think we should keep him one more year but perhaps start Solder at LT and use Light in power sets with Solder moving to TE.  That way if any OT goes down, Light can start again and we have little drop off.
    Posted by Faucetman

with you. glad we kept light. last year pre draft i voted to keep him but as a backup. this year he has played well. interesting idea for next year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : It's amazing, a hundred new topics get posted each day with many about the play-offs.  I'm sick of all the Tebow talk, even though I really admire the kid and what he's done for Denver.  There is always 1 or 2 "fans" that come on here with no interest in the draft just to bust our baws.  I find a 2 week gap in games boring so talking about the future helps past the time. 
    Posted by Faucetman

talk about football i find refreshing period.
    there are lots of threads i have no interest in. i just bypass them and go to the ones i have interest in. once in a while i open one i think i may not have interest in and it is interesting or sometimes the opposite. i certainly dont make it a habit telling people what to write about (other than if the words themselves are hatred, attack or violence).

this has by far and away been the best thread ive participated in since ive been on this board. thanks everyone and extra thanks mb.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Posted by mbeaulieu07

the patience is immnese!
    remarkable patience, restraint and non- reactivity in not taking it personal (compared to what has been the norm on the board) thats the kind of modeling we need by the people here on the board.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : Wow, that would be something!!  Anybody is free to use my depth chart:).  I really think Mercilus has tremendous upside.  It's not hard to imagine he will fly up draft boards with a strong Combine.  He could end up out of reach.  I think a lot of 34 teams will be looking at him but not sure he can be an every down 43 DE.  But I think he is perfect for the Pats scheme.  BB will move him all over the place, if we can get him. Light is signed for another year.  I've been a detractor of his but have to say, we are so lucky we kept him.  Can you imagine how things may have been different if Light was gone and Vollmer got hurt and Cannon was still on the PUP?  I think we should keep him one more year but perhaps start Solder at LT and use Light in power sets with Solder moving to TE.  That way if any OT goes down, Light can start again and we have little drop off.
    Posted by Faucetman

To be honest Faucet I didn't even thing about that scenario and makes a ton of sense.  You are right on expirience and depth alone the spot for him if worth it.
    With that I would had then added a G/C type with the late pick I used on an OT. 
    Phillip Blake from Baylor, OC but has played OT and G.  6'2" 320 has a strong punch and power.  He's 26, another older Canadian but he's a load.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Pats7393, Interesting FA choices. Carriker? He's has seemed to find a home as a 3-4 DE in Washington vs. the 4-3 DT he was asked to play in St. Louis. Where do you envision him playing in our defense? If the Pats wanted to revert to the 3-4 again, getting a guy like this would be critical. However, once we do, guys like Anderson, Carter, etc. are marginalized. Personally, I like to see us take a stand on the front 7 so we can start drafting guys who excel in either scheme. Sorry about the soapbox thing, but being non-commital is making me want to commit myself from being over commited.
    Posted by PatsLifer

PL way too early for all that commitment haha, Carriker he's scheme versatile IMO.  The DL in St Louis had a ton of issues so I think with VW next to him this guy will be good inside in 43 penetrating and pushing the pocket.  When they line up in a 34 you have a true 34 DE.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED :  i love a lot of this however id substitute to get fleener! exceptional.
    Posted by bredbru

I like Fleener as well, 6'6" 245 a bit undersized at that height but with the style of O Stanford runs he should be able to contribute year 1.  Problem is I'm pretty sure he's an early 2nd round pick and I think using that pick on a OC, Ben Jones, is a higher priority.  I might take an earlier pick to land Jones.  I don't think I've talked him up enough.  If he goes higher I'm not saying take him earlier just he might work him self into really early 2nd rnd.

Also Michael Egnew is sort of the same player as Fleener not as polished (Fleener is not either) as a blocker (both need work but Egnew needs more).  Both are very good route runners, great hands one is 6'6" 245 and other is 6'5" 245 Egnew is faster and should be a 3rd rnd.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : i would then take poe from marshall
    Posted by natesubs

thanks nate,
    see my preference against poe above.
    if we get a dt i want a penetrator

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : Absolutely!!  We don't want Hightower taking over for Ray Lewis and have the beat go on in Baltimore.  Let's hope the Saints fall to the 49ers this weekend so that this is not an issue.  We can then take Hightower ahead of them like we did Gronk.  They might be looking to leapfrog us like we did to them in 2010. I do think Ingram and Hightower both still being on the board this late is unrealistic.  However, I think we will have at least one of these guys we like to select from: Hightower, Konz, Barron, Sanu.
    Posted by Faucetman

I think we will have at least one of these guys we like to select from: Hightower, Konz, Barron, Sanu.

faucet and all. not sure this is the case, but will add another scenario to consider here.  of the above, id like hightower first preference, konz second.
    i want a fs in free agency so we dotn have to take barron over the other 4-5 positions i want to fill via draft. and re sanu, unless bb has him rated so far above all the other wr in the top half of the draft, i hold off till the second rd. again i think other positions are more important with our top picks.

so im using walter footballs 1/9 mock update to illustrate and query folks on this scenario.

so if this is the scenario, the bad news is a lot of the first round defensive players ( and center)we coveted are gone by our pick:

konz 23, hightower 24 to pitt, burfict 27 to balt

but for those who feel we can use brown, he makes it to the top of the second.

heres who is gone and who remains till the second.

given this scenario it may make sense to trade back with one pick 5 spots or less if if gives us another 2nd round pick in the top 24 imo (ie if someone has to move up to get a player).

1 luck
    2 griffin to wash ( i like this. puts him in the nfc and on a bad team).
    3 kalil
    4 blackmoon
    5 claiborne
    6 richardson
    7 coples
    8 reif
    9 kirkpatrick
    10 upshaw
    11 martin
    12 still
    13 kuechly
    14 de castro
    15 floyd
    16 mercilus (too bad if we dont get a shot)
    17 janoris
    18 perry
    19 dennard
    20 ingram
    21 glenn
    22 tannehill
    23 konz
    24 hightower
    25  lamar miller
    26 fletcher cox
    27 alshon jeffery
    28 kenadall wright
    29 burfict
    30 pats 1a worthy
    31 pats 1b barron
    32 dwayne allen te

that was the bad news now the good news:

left is : (they have coming off in rd 2)

33 zack brown (top tier lb)
    34  sanu top tier wr
    35 poe gap plugger
    36 olb lavonte david
    37 minnefield cb / kr
    38 hosley cb  va tech
    39 sander tackle
    40 brandon thompson clemson dt
    41 adams oh st  o tackle
    42 nick foles qb
    43 andre branch de
    44 david wilson  rb va tech
    45 josh robnson centr fl cb kr
    46 crick de/dt
    47  braandon washington g/t miami
    48 brandon jenkins de/olb (i coulda swore mb said he declred hes staying in school?)
    49 fleenr te (only te in the draft we have been speaking of and i say we draft)
    50 toon wr wisc. (nother possiblilty)
    51 wagner lb utah st
    52 osemele g
    53 polk rb wash
    54 curry de (nother possible patriot)
    55 ben jones  c ga (nother possible patriot)
    56 ta' amu nose
    57 gilmore cb (some like, gimme fa if a cb)
    58 nix g
    59 chapman nose
    60 ronnel lewis de/olb
    61 irvin de olb w virginia
    62 travis lewis
    63 dwight jones - they give to us
    64 winn mb liked a while back

so if draft is falling this way around pick 20 or 24 in the draft,
    what are you thinking with our first 4 rds of picks
    1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, 3, 4.

for me if we go down i only would go down up to 5 picks and i would only move from 1 to upper 2/3 of 2 cause of value there. also only consider 1 trade down.
    thats me.

what are your thoughts in this scenario.

also if nay of those folks who threw out players today and i commented why i wouldnt ie poe, can you offer any info in  regard to a retort.

night everyone

peace

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

only a few more days till we find out what underclassmen are declaring for the draft and whether we have a shot at montgomery this year :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : PL, Yeah, I def wanna see Poe for myself (haven't found any onfield tape on him) to get a better idea of my true feelings on him, but he is rated pretty highly by most publications, or so it seems. Gilmore/Minnifield could become more interesting if we see more of DMC at safety during the playoffs, look forward to following that development or lack there of.  Gilmore could also have value for them at S as he possesses excellent size (listed 6-1 195) and has a solid build, to go along with his ability in coverage and as a run defender/tackler.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Same here. The thing is, if you look hard enough, you can find knocks on just about every kid coming out. Knocks on Poe were more conditioning and technique related. 2 thinigs that if he has the potential, can be worked on. I read 2 sites covering the draft saying that for a kid his size, there is no way he should handled by 1 G alone. That its all about technique. I would agree. If the Pats can polish him, he could be something in the middle. He would be what BB envisioned with VW and Haynesworth in the middle, allowing his LBs to make plays. Now, we just need another LB that is capable of capitalizing on this. Which is why for me, the DT/DE discussion is linked to the LB discussion and scheme discussion.
    Imagine drafting a kid like Poe, then grabbing a kid like Zach Brown who has amazing speed sidelinen to sideline and allowing he and Mayo to make plays.

I like your thoughts on possibly looking at one of those CBs to play safety. I had a similar idea a while back. Given the this years safety class is not the deepest, why not take a CB that can play zone and man, a rangy one, and turn him into a FS? OR, use DMC full time at FS, and we draft a kid to "replace" him at corner. Either would work. I think my preference however is to NOT use a high pick on a CB, but grab one in FA. I want to see us contiuring to "develop" talent, but I think we have enough youth back there that at this poinnt they could benefit from a 5-7 year vet.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : Same here. The thing is, if you look hard enough, you can find knocks on just about every kid coming out. Knocks on Poe were more conditioning and technique related. 2 thinigs that if he has the potential, can be worked on. I read 2 sites covering the draft saying that for a kid his size, there is no way he should handled by 1 G alone. That its all about technique. I would agree. If the Pats can polish him, he could be something in the middle. He would be what BB envisioned with VW and Haynesworth in the middle, allowing his LBs to make plays. Now, we just need another LB that is capable of capitalizing on this. Which is why for me, the DT/DE discussion is linked to the LB discussion and scheme discussion. Imagine drafting a kid like Poe, then grabbing a kid like Zach Brown who has amazing speed sidelinen to sideline and allowing he and Mayo to make plays. I like your thoughts on possibly looking at one of those CBs to play safety. I had a similar idea a while back. Given the this years safety class is not the deepest, why not take a CB that can play zone and man, a rangy one, and turn him into a FS? OR, use DMC full time at FS, and we draft a kid to "replace" him at corner. Either would work. I think my preference however is to NOT use a high pick on a CB, but grab one in FA. I want to see us contiuring to "develop" talent, but I think we have enough youth back there that at this poinnt they could benefit from a 5-7 year vet.
    Posted by PatsLifer

lifer thanks for the info on poe.
    other than that, much of what you say i have been throwing out. have you read my posts on the same subjects you go through above?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

First, yes walterfootball messed up. Jenkins won't be in the draft. It's sad because Walter is usually pretty good when it comes to the draft but I've noticed a number of mistakes from them this year. I wonder if one of their better guys has moved on.

Second if Brown and Sanu are there I'm not sure you pass on both and trade a pick. The biggest thing with both though is where you stand with either player. Sanu and McNutt are comparable as for talent level but Sanu is the faster of the 2 and McNutt is the taller player. You know what I think of McNutt so I can pass on Sanu on this one and grab McNutt in the 2nd.

Brown is an interesting case. He has rare speed as a LB but will be a pure 43 OLB at the next level. If he is going to be a pass rusher he's going to need to put on a lot of strength as bigger OL will just man handle him if they get their hands on Brown. He's much like Von Miller. He'll be a 1-2 down player that will give you burst off the line and be great in coverage but might be a determent in the run game and depending on the OL might have stretches where he disappears. Honestly the only way he drops that far is because teams have major concerns about his mental age and off-field issues. If there is that much concern I'm not sure I would take him even with a late 1st. I love his potential and ability but he is a pure passing down specialist with off-field issues.

Truthfully I wouldn't be happy if this is how the draft turns out at all but I might grab Curry with one of those 1st and trade the other. Curry is just as explosive a pass rusher as Brown imo. Yes I know Brown is faster but as a pass rusher it's all about burst off the line and a 5yrd dash and imo Curry is just as explosive but is much more powerful and can hold up better against the run. Curry has the potential to be a 3 down player who won't be a good coverage LB, unlike Brown, but can flex from a 34 OLB to a 43 DE and I like his flexibility better. Actually I like Curry the same way I liked Reed and Dunlap so... I'll stick with Curry.

For the trade I think it's dependent on the team you trade with. If it's a team that has little chance to get into the playoffs next year I would target a 1st next year and try to get a 3rd this year. If it's a fringe team that could or couldn't make the playoff's next year I might try for a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year. If it's a strong playoff caliber team I'm going for a 2nd and 3rd this year

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

First, yes walterfootball messed up. Jenkins won't be in the draft. It's sad because Walter is usually pretty good when it comes to the draft but I've noticed a number of mistakes from them this year. I wonder if one of their better guys has moved on. Second if Brown and Sanu are there I'm not sure you pass on both and trade a pick. The biggest thing with both though is where you stand with either player. Sanu and McNutt are comparable as for talent level but Sanu is the faster of the 2 and McNutt is the taller player. You know what I think of McNutt so I can pass on Sanu on this one and grab McNutt in the 2nd. Brown is an interesting case. He has rare speed as a LB but will be a pure 43 OLB at the next level. If he is going to be a pass rusher he's going to need to put on a lot of strength as bigger OL will just man handle him if they get their hands on Brown. He's much like Von Miller. He'll be a 1-2 down player that will give you burst off the line and be great in coverage but might be a determent in the run game and depending on the OL might have stretches where he disappears. Honestly the only way he drops that far is because teams have major concerns about his mental age and off-field issues. If there is that much concern I'm not sure I would take him even with a late 1st. I love his potential and ability but he is a pure passing down specialist with off-field issues. Truthfully I wouldn't be happy if this is how the draft turns out at all but I might grab Curry with one of those 1st and trade the other. Curry is just as explosive a pass rusher as Brown imo. Yes I know Brown is faster but as a pass rusher it's all about burst off the line and a 5yrd dash and imo Curry is just as explosive but is much more powerful and can hold up better against the run. Curry has the potential to be a 3 down player who won't be a good coverage LB, unlike Brown, but can flex from a 34 OLB to a 43 DE and I like his flexibility better. Actually I like Curry the same way I liked Reed and Dunlap so... I'll stick with Curry. For the trade I think it's dependent on the team you trade with. If it's a team that has little chance to get into the playoffs next year I would target a 1st next year and try to get a 3rd this year. If it's a fringe team that could or couldn't make the playoff's next year I might try for a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year. If it's a strong playoff caliber team I'm going for a 2nd and 3rd this year
    Posted by PatsEng

thanks for showing up with your thoughts eng. got your thoughs on trading out of rd 1. you know me. i need a 2nd this year as part of the deal (covered the why many times over the last year eam age, getting chemistry and experience while brady in his prime and before other players age, etc).

curry on my upper list too.

however my bigger question, given this scenario (and ill float a few more in coming days, what do you do with all 5 picks. thats the fun part - who do you end up with?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : the patience is immnese! remarkable patience, restraint and non- reactivity in not taking it personal (compared to what has been the norm on the board) thats the kind of modeling we need by the people here on the board.
    Posted by bredbru

Ha, thanks... I just don't waste too much time with those that provide little insight and are completely inaccurate in doing so.

Sections
Shortcuts