Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED
posted at 1/11/2012 1:16 PM EST
So I’m realistic to the fact that my Big 3 (Barron/Hightower/Konz) may not be available when NE is on the clock as all 3 are very good football players and are either the best player or at least top 3 at their respective positions.
With that being said, I’d like to present my “Next Man In” list of players that I like a lot and think will garner Rd 1 consideration come draft time.1. I just don't see them touching a WR in Rd 1.
A couple of other thoughts:
2. This could be shaping up for a prime track back year.
1. Stephon Gilmore- CB- South Carolina (6-1 195): He’s coming out early so I think the draft masses are catching up with him, but this kid is legit, IMO. He’s an experienced kid (starter since he walked on campus) with very good size, excellent instincts, awareness & ball skills, he’s also a versatile that’s proven in the SEC and could see playing time early in Foxboro.
2. Chase Minnifield- CB-Virginia (6-0 185): Very good bloodlines (father was a Pro-Bowl / All Decade 1980s CB), versatile with a lot of experience in both zone/man concepts, very good tackler… just a very good overall football player that has all the tools needed to succeed at the NFL level. He too could be in line for early reps in Foxboro, especially if his former teammate Ras-I remains on the shelf.
3. Dontari Poe- DT- Memphis (6-5 350): (Disclaimer: report based on a lot of research as I haven’t been able to find any tape on him). Kid is absolutely huge and there isn’t a lot of flab on him, he’s also possesses a ton of weight room strength which translates to the field. He’s athletic for a big kid with very good quicks for his size which may allow him to play DE/NT in a 34 or DT in a 43. BB places a ton of value on kids who can control gaps/the LOS and I think this kid will have him interested, though he may be a bit too raw for them to pull the trigger.
4. Vontaze Burfict – ILB- Arizona State (6-3 245): This kid has all the physical tools to be a dominant 3 down backer at the NFL level, but on field character/emotional/maturity issues may him to drop. He presents plenty of risk in Rd 1, but could represent some real value at this point in the draft.