***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED

Does anyone know if Ryan Logan has declared for the draft? Because he's the best CB in college football as we speak.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Did Cool hand Luke win the Butkis award?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : ...Any guesses of who on your list is willing to trade out of round 1 all together based on available talent/where they are picking? Other than the Pats of course.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

cin has two rnd 1 picks, so they'd be a candidate. they also think the picks they hold are prety attractive. don't ask me who would be willing to trade up. my normal answer would be oakland but with new management and picks they traded away, i don't think oak will be oak.

imho every team has major flaws and will need to plug holes. other than cin, it's hard to tell without knowing what happens in fa.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : Sanu is a great option and one of my favorite WR's McNutt has similar qualities. I'd be happy with either truthfully. I don't know much about Henry. Do you have some more info on him. ...
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

mcnutt is a favorite of mine. i was a little disappointed that his qb did not throw to him much during their bowl game. good i guess because he's under the radar.

i would not mind them taking a gamble on broyles. they have experience with those injuries in welker.

a long shot WR i like is gerell robinson of asu who's projecting rnd 7. i think he's underrated and his performance in his bowl game showed he can be a playmaker.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : mcnutt is a favorite of mine. i was a little disappointed that his qb did not throw to him much during their bowl game. good i guess because he's under the radar. i would not mind them taking a gamble on broyles. they have experience with those injuries in welker. a long shot WR i like is gerell robinson of asu who's projecting rnd 7. i think he's underrated and his performance in his bowl game showed he can be a playmaker.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

thanks seattle!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

another draft scenario:

were at 31, saints 32

hihgtower is on the board at 29, so is ingram
    baltimore picking at at 30

would you try to trade up for hightower to make sure ravens dont take him or take ingram or another choice?

context:

luck 1
    kalil 2
    blackmon 3
    griffin 4
    claiborne 5
    richardson 6
    coples 7
    reif 8
    kirkpatrick 9
    upshaw 10
    martin 11
    mercilus  12
    de castro 13
    dennard 14
    luke k 15
    still 16
    janoris jenkins 17
    perry gone at 18
    floyd 19
    konz 20
    osemele 21
    jefffrey 22
    adams 23
    potter 24
    brandon thompson 25
    burfict 26
    glenn 27
    barron 28

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'd want to trade up and grab Ingram. Depending on who's sitting at 29 it's no safe bet either makes it to 31. I take Ingram over Hightower simply because until I can see that Hightower has enough speed to move outside in a 34 I want the more versatile player in Ingram who I know can be a 34 OLB or a 43 DE. That could flip though if Hightower has a great combine and put's up good 10yrd split and cone numbers

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I'd want to trade up and grab Ingram. Depending on who's sitting at 29 it's no safe bet either makes it to 31. I take Ingram over Hightower simply because until I can see that Hightower has enough speed to move outside in a 34 I want the more versatile player in Ingram who I know can be a 34 OLB or a 43 DE. That could flip though if Hightower has a great combine and put's up good 10yrd split and cone numbers

thanks eng,
    keep my updated.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[QUOTE]another draft scenario: were at 31, saints 32 hihgtower is on the board at 29, so is ingram baltimore picking at at 30 would you try to trade up for hightower to make sure ravens dont take him or take ingram or another choice? context: luck 1 kalil 2 blackmon 3 griffin 4 claiborne 5 richardson 6 coples 7 reif 8 kirkpatrick 9 upshaw 10 martin 11 mercilus  12 de castro 13 dennard 14 luke k 15 still 16 janoris jenkins 17 perry gone at 18 floyd 19 konz 20 osemele 21 jefffrey 22 adams 23 potter 24 brandon thompson 25 burfict 26 glenn 27 barron 28
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

i would then take poe from marshall

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

[QUOTE]I'd want to trade up and grab Ingram. Depending on who's sitting at 29 it's no safe bet either makes it to 31. I take Ingram over Hightower simply because until I can see that Hightower has enough speed to move outside in a 34 I want the more versatile player in Ingram who I know can be a 34 OLB or a 43 DE. That could flip though if Hightower has a great combine and put's up good 10yrd split and cone numbers

I always enjoy your opinion and commentaries.  Your opinion in this instance makes perfect sense and yet, one wonders if BB has become disenchanted with moving up in the first round.  He certainly hasn't been reluctant to move down in the first round and has been more amenable to moving up and down in rounds 2-7.  He seems scarred by past mistakes made in the first round and prefers quantity of picks to better insulate against errors in judgment which have been rather commonplace of late. The cost of moving up in round one also seems too high relative to the risk and his game plan for later rounds (as will be explained).

It has been said that first round choices should be sure bets to succeed.  While taking risks with draft choices (ala recent surgeries, cancer threat, attitude/drug related issues etc.) can be rewarding, that risk/reward scenario is especially dangerous in round one.  How  can a successful team manage to stay on top when always drafting at the end of rounds where "sure bets" are unlikely to be found?

BB seems to have recognized this quandry and sees trading present lower round choices for next year's higher round choices as a solution. In the case of trading away first round choices for a second round this year and a first round next year he views this strategy as the ultimate prize if he can find a desperate and suitable trading partner.  His trade with N.O. last year was a reluctant lateral shift and not the result he sought.

I expect that BB will again trade one of his first round choices if he can find a better match than he got with N.O. last year.  The talent this year looks too thin to do otherwise UNLESS an unexpected "pearl" drops.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : mcnutt is a favorite of mine. i was a little disappointed that his qb did not throw to him much during their bowl game. good i guess because he's under the radar. i would not mind them taking a gamble on broyles. they have experience with those injuries in welker. a long shot WR i like is gerell robinson of asu who's projecting rnd 7. i think he's underrated and his performance in his bowl game showed he can be a playmaker.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]
    I like McNutt too, I saw him play quite a bit.  I don't think he's 1-2 round caliber but he could be a nice pick up in the 3-4 round.

Another kid I talked about months ago who is similar to McNutt is DeVier Posey of Ohio State.  He's flying a little under the radar right now because he missed most of his senior campaign due to being suspended.  Posey was one of Ohio State's elite players who sat the first five games of the 2011 season for selling championship memorabilia.

A strong combine and interviews could push him up in the draft.  Had he not been suspended and played a productive senior year he could have been a top 40 pick.  If he's there in the 3rd or even with our late 2nd and tests well, I think he could be a solid player for us.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : I always enjoy your opinion and commentaries.  Your opinion in this instance makes perfect sense and yet, one wonders if BB has become disenchanted with moving up in the first round.  He certainly hasn't been reluctant to move down in the first round and has been more amenable to moving up and down in rounds 2-7.  He seems scarred by past mistakes made in the first round and prefers quantity of picks to better insulate against errors in judgment which have been rather commonplace of late. The cost of moving up in round one also seems too high relative to the risk and his game plan for later rounds (as will be explained). It has been said that first round choices should be sure bets to succeed.  While taking risks with draft choices (ala recent surgeries, cancer threat, attitude/drug related issues etc.) can be rewarding, that risk/reward scenario is especially dangerous in round one.  How  can a successful team manage to stay on top when always drafting at the end of rounds where "sure bets" are unlikely to be found? BB seems to have recognized this quandry and sees trading present lower round choices for next year's higher round choices as a solution. In the case of trading away first round choices for a second round this year and a first round next year he views this strategy as the ultimate prize if he can find a desperate and suitable trading partner.  His trade with N.O. last year was a reluctant lateral shift and not the result he sought. I expect that BB will again trade one of his first round choices if he can find a better match than he got with N.O. last year.  The talent this year looks too thin to do otherwise UNLESS an unexpected "pearl" drops.   
    Posted by moskk[/QUOTE]

Hey moskk, first thank you. Second I agree BB does appear hesitant to move up in the first but I think that's more based on either the amount of talent available or the cost of moving up. If it's a couple spots to get a player he is targeting and gets a sense that a team like Bal will select the player ahead of him I think he would make the move (ie Gronk or Ty is a better example in the 1st). The problem being that the talent level around where we he picks has either been fairly good with players he brought in to look at or has been weak to the point he'd have to move up 5+ picks to get a player they brought in to look at. Moving up 5+ picks is quite costly so you have to be sure that the player is the right pick to begin and also imo BB has this notion that from picks 25-45 you can find other players of similar talent levels in other areas of need. Now this philosophy hasn't always worked out but it hasn't hurt us either in comparison to other teams picks. What has hurt us is BB's seemingly high standards when it comes to certain positions and unwillingness to bend those standards. A prime example BB even admitted himself was Matthews. BB in not so many words said that Matthews didn't find the profile they had for an OLB and he regretted not moving outside that profile for him.

In the case brd cited a move of 2-3 spots in the back half of the 1st is a minor move. You are talking a 4th or 5th really so if they were targeting Hightower or Ingram the value of the 4th imo is well worth the cost to move ahead of a team like Bal to get their guy provided they feel that nether will make it past the team at #29 or Bal. You see it's all about value of the trade verses the player themselves. A minor move in the backend of the round has value with minimal risk but moving up to the late teens early twenties is very costly with higher risk if the player doesn't work out.

I'm just hoping BB realizes the vast difference in the D, esp the secondary, when players like Anderson and Carter managed to create pressure on QB. This might entice him to take a risk on similarly talented younger players then to skip over one that doesn't fit his idealized mold.

As for trading one of the 1st back, this year I'm all in favor of it if the value is there. I see a lot of the talent the Pats could target being in the late 1st to early 3rd. If a team gets desperate for a Poe or if Jeffery falls and there is another Dal type of deal you take it. I could easily envision a team like Was or KC moving back into the 1st giving up a 3rd this year and a 1st next year to get a Poe or a team like the Eagles or Car trying to move up to grab a Floyd, Jeffery, or Jones and giving up a 2nd and a 4th

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : Sanu is a great option and one of my favorite WR's McNutt has similar qualities. I'd be happy with either truthfully. I don't know much about Henry. Do you have some more info on him. I'll have to take a closer look at him. For Wrights speed I've heard everything from low 4.3's to high 4.4's. Watching him on film he looks real fast but then I noticed on long runs he doesn't gain much speed after 10yrds. He is a player who gets up to top speed in the matter of 10 yards so if people are trying to gauge his 40 from a 10yrd split he looks like a 4.3 guy but I think he'll end up being a low-mid 4.4 guy at the combine over a full 40yrds
    Yes, Aaron Henry converted from CB to FS his junior year at Wisconsin after a knee injury (He RS his Sophomore year).  He became a vocal team leader on defense this year and made a big improvement his senior year from his junior year.  I think he's one of the best FS in the draft and could probably be had in the 3rd.  He's a smart kid with strong leadership skills.  I watched Wisconsin a lot especially last year when I was scouting JJ Watt.  Henry seemed like he was always around the ball making plays and big hits.  He's 6-0, 210.

Here are some things I found:

Honors and Awards
    2011: Quarterfinalist for the Lott IMPACT trophy ... first-team All-Big Tenby the coaches and honorable mention All-Big Ten by the media ... Big Ten Sportsmanship Honoree ... winner of UW's Jay Seiler Coaches Appreciation Award ... Academic All-Big Ten
    2010:
    Second-team All-Big Ten (coaches) and honorable mention All-Big Ten (media) ... Academic All-Big Ten
    2009:
    Academic All-Big Ten

In the past two years he had 120 tackles, 3.5 for loss, 1 sck , 5 INT and 16 PD.  Not huge numbers but keep in mind Wisconsin had a pretty solid secondary this year.  I'm just saying this kid is someone to think about if we don't address S earlier in the draft and he's still on the board maybe even as high as our late 2nd.
    Career Defensive Statistics
    SeasonGP/GSUTATTot.TFLQBSFCFRINTPD
    200712/22612383.5-173.5-171013
    2008 (Redshirted)0/0------------------
    200913/3117180.0-00.0-00004
    201013/134711580.5-10.0-01329
    201113/134022623.0-61.0-10037
    Totals51/3112452
    7.0-244.5-1823

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]another draft scenario: were at 31, saints 32 hihgtower is on the board at 29, so is ingram baltimore picking at at 30 would you try to trade up for hightower to make sure ravens dont take him or take ingram or another choice? context: luck 1 kalil 2 blackmon 3 griffin 4 claiborne 5 richardson 6 coples 7 reif 8 kirkpatrick 9 upshaw 10 martin 11 mercilus  12 de castro 13 dennard 14 luke k 15 still 16 janoris jenkins 17 perry gone at 18 floyd 19 konz 20 osemele 21 jefffrey 22 adams 23 potter 24 brandon thompson 25 burfict 26 glenn 27 barron 28
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]
    Absolutely!!  We don't want Hightower taking over for Ray Lewis and have the beat go on in Baltimore.  Let's hope the Saints fall to the 49ers this weekend so that this is not an issue.  We can then take Hightower ahead of them like we did Gronk.  They might be looking to leapfrog us like we did to them in 2010.

I do think Ingram and Hightower both still being on the board this late is unrealistic.  However, I think we will have at least one of these guys we like to select from: Hightower, Konz, Barron, Sanu.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

UP UP UP.
    Sometimes I think BB is so arrogant he actually wants to coach a defense of totally undrafted guys just to prove his genius. Didn't we start a D with at least five or six undrafted guys this year?
    What real Pats fan wouldn't kill to have a Clay Mathews or Brian Cushing or Brook Reed at LB now? Or a Watt or Kerrigan or Aldon Smith on the line.
    Tell me you wouldn't trade the Saints pick and Vereen and Mallet for JJ Watt right now?
    Talent wins, and the Pats defense may be the most untalented in the history of the playoffs.
    MOVE UP in the draft and get us some talent on D. Please.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Faucet thanks for the format, stole it from you jaja

Here's my roster with draft and a few FAs, I think this would be a solid group

Projected 2012 Roster
    OFFENSE 19 Players
    Slot 30 W Welker '11 25 Edelman '12  
    WR 33 Branch '11 24 Underwood '11 26 M Slater '11
    LOT 23 N Solder '15 Bradley Sowell  127th  
    LG 30 Mankins '16    
    C Ben Jones  48th 25 Wendell '11  
    ROG 34 B Waters '12 24 Nick McDonald '11  
    RT 27 Vollmer '12 23 M. Cannon '14  
    TE 23 Gronkowski '13 21 Hernandez '13 23 Dickerson '11
    QB 34 Tom Brady '14 23 Mallett '14  
    RB 26 Green-Ellis '11 26 Woodhead '12  
      23 S. Ridley '14 23 S. Veeren '14  
    WR 30 Brandon Lloyd Jarius Wright 64th  

DEFENSE 21 Players    
    DE  32 A Carter '11 24 Deaderick '13 23 Cunningham '13
    DT 29 Wilfork '14 24 Brace '12  
    DT 27 Adam Carriker Kheeston Randall 95th 26 M Pryor '12
    DE Whitney Mercilus 32nd 28 M Anderson '11  
    OLB 25 Mayo '17 27 Bryan Kehl  
    ILB 24 B Spikes '13 25 Fletcher '12  
    OLB Zach Brown  28th 27 Ninkovich '11 25 Guyton '11
    LCB 24 McCourty '14 23 Dowling '14 21 Moore '13
    RCB 25 Arrington '12 26 Molden '11 29 Jones '11
    SS 24 Chung '12 27 J. Barrett '12 28 Ihedigbo '11
    FS 28 Reggie Nelson Eddie Whitley 176th  

SPECIAL TEAMS 3    
    PK 27 Gostkowski '14   PS
    P 24 Z. Mesko '13   Markell Carter
    LS 23 D Aiken   Matt Kopa

Pick   Player Size/Weight
    28 OLB Zach Brown 6'2" 230 lbs
    32 DE Whitney Mercilus 6'4" 265 lbs
    48 OC Ben Jones 6'3" 316 lbs
    64 WR Jarius Wright 5'10" 180 lbs
    95 DT Kheeston Randall 6'5" 305 lbs
    127 OT Bradley Sowell 6'7" 315 lbs
    176 FS Eddie Whitley 6'0" 190 lbs

Traded      
    Chad Ochocinco traded to Philly for 6th rnd, 176  

Released/Cut/Not Resigned    
    Connolly      
    S. Brown      
    White      
    Light      

FA Signed      
    Reggie Nelson FS 5'11" 208 lbs  28yrs  
    Brandon Lloyd WR 6'0" 188 lbs 30yrs  
    Adam Carriker DT/DE 6'6" 310 27yrs    
    Bryan Kehl OLB 6'2" 237 27yrs    

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Afternoon Boys,

So I’m realistic to the fact that my Big 3 (Barron/Hightower/Konz) may not be available when NE is on the clock as all 3 are very good football players and are either the best player or at least top 3 at their respective positions.

With that being said, I’d like to present my “Next Man In” list of players that I like a lot and think will garner Rd 1 consideration come draft time.

A couple of other thoughts:

1.  I just don't see them touching a WR in Rd 1.
    2.  This could be shaping up for a prime track back year.

The Players:

1.  Stephon Gilmore- CB- South Carolina (6-1 195):  He’s coming out early so I think the draft masses are catching up with him, but this kid is legit, IMO.  He’s an experienced kid (starter since he walked on campus) with very good size, excellent instincts, awareness & ball skills, he’s also a versatile that’s proven in the SEC and could see playing time early in Foxboro.

2.  Chase Minnifield- CB-Virginia (6-0 185):  Very good bloodlines (father was a Pro-Bowl / All Decade 1980s CB), versatile with a lot of experience in both zone/man concepts, very good tackler… just a very good overall football player that has all the tools needed to succeed at the NFL level.  He too could be in line for early reps in Foxboro, especially if his former teammate Ras-I remains on the shelf.

3.  Dontari Poe- DT- Memphis (6-5 350):  (Disclaimer:  report based on a lot of research as I haven’t been able to find any tape on him). Kid is absolutely huge and there isn’t a lot of flab on him, he’s also possesses a ton of weight room strength which translates to the field.  He’s athletic for a big kid with very good quicks for his size which may allow him to play DE/NT in a 34 or DT in a 43.  BB places a ton of value on kids who can control gaps/the LOS and I think this kid will have him interested, though he may be a bit too raw for them to pull the trigger.

4.  Vontaze Burfict – ILB- Arizona State (6-3 245):  This kid has all the physical tools to be a dominant 3 down backer at the NFL level, but on field character/emotional/maturity issues may him to drop.  He presents plenty of risk in Rd 1, but could represent some real value at this point in the draft.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Alabama S Robert Lester will return for his senior season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Alabama S Robert Lester will return for his senior season.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Yeah I kind of saw that one coming given his performance at the Champ game didn't help his stock to push him into the 1st round

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

MB,

That's a nice backup list of players. I like your two CB's as players, but want to pull the stubborn card and not touch a CB in round 1 in the draft.

Therefore, I'll comment on Poe & Burflict.

Poe as you said is raw. He's a mammoth of a man, but I've seen several reports where he has poor technique and often gets handled by guards. he has conditioniing issues, etc. A guy like this could have enormous upside, pardon the pun. However, with our 1st (as I believe the other will be traded out), I think we need someone a bit more day 1 ready. I'd rather take a shot at Still, Cox, Wolfe who may all be there. There is also a snowballs chance that your man Ingram and even Hightower could be withing striking range of a short trade up. I would do 2-4 spots up from where we pick to get either one of them.

Burfict was one of my favorite players to watch coming into this year. I absolutely had not doubt in his playing ability and I think he has a lot of potential. He can be special because he brings it all on the field. The big question I have on him as I'm sure everyone does is, can BB get him under control? He sometimes plays out of control and undisciplined. My worry is the Pats are such a system oriented defense that he would blow assignments to go take someone's head off. Not a bad problem to have if you can channel it. I'm 60/40 on him. 60 take, 40 not take.
    If Hightower or Ingram are not here and we pass on Burfict, I would wait until round 2 to look at taking Ronnell Lewis, Audie Cole in round 4. I didn't list Irvin because I think he's a project. Very raw and somewhat disappeared this season rushign the passer which is supposely his best skill set.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Pats7393,

Interesting FA choices. Carriker? He's has seemed to find a home as a 3-4 DE in Washington vs. the 4-3 DT he was asked to play in St. Louis. Where do you envision him playing in our defense? If the Pats wanted to revert to the 3-4 again, getting a guy like this would be critical. However, once we do, guys like Anderson, Carter, etc. are marginalized.
    Personally, I like to see us take a stand on the front 7 so we can start drafting guys who excel in either scheme. Sorry about the soapbox thing, but being non-commital is making me want to commit myself from being over commited.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]MB, That's a nice backup list of players. I like your two CB's as players, but want to pull the stubborn card and not touch a CB in round 1 in the draft. Therefore, I'll comment on Poe & Burflict. Poe as you said is raw. He's a mammoth of a man, but I've seen several reports where he has poor technique and often gets handled by guards. he has conditioniing issues, etc. A guy like this could have enormous upside, pardon the pun. However, with our 1st (as I believe the other will be traded out), I think we need someone a bit more day 1 ready. I'd rather take a shot at Still, Cox, Wolfe who may all be there. There is also a snowballs chance that your man Ingram and even Hightower could be withing striking range of a short trade up. I would do 2-4 spots up from where we pick to get either one of them. Burfict was one of my favorite players to watch coming into this year. I absolutely had not doubt in his playing ability and I think he has a lot of potential. He can be special because he brings it all on the field. The big question I have on him as I'm sure everyone does is, can BB get him under control? He sometimes plays out of control and undisciplined. My worry is the Pats are such a system oriented defense that he would blow assignments to go take someone's head off. Not a bad problem to have if you can channel it. I'm 60/40 on him. 60 take, 40 not take. If Hightower or Ingram are not here and we pass on Burfict, I would wait until round 2 to look at taking Ronnell Lewis, Audie Cole in round 4. I didn't list Irvin because I think he's a project. Very raw and somewhat disappeared this season rushign the passer which is supposely his best skill set.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

PL,
    Yeah, I def wanna see Poe for myself (haven't found any onfield tape on him) to get a better idea of my true feelings on him, but he is rated pretty highly by most publications, or so it seems.

Gilmore/Minnifield could become more interesting if we see more of DMC at safety during the playoffs, look forward to following that development or lack there of.  Gilmore could also have value for them at S as he possesses excellent size (listed 6-1 195) and has a solid build, to go along with his ability in coverage and as a run defender/tackler.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : Hey moskk, first thank you. Second I agree BB does appear hesitant to move up in the first but I think that's more based on either the amount of talent available or the cost of moving up. If it's a couple spots to get a player he is targeting and gets a sense that a team like Bal will select the player ahead of him I think he would make the move (ie Gronk or Ty is a better example in the 1st). The problem being that the talent level around where we he picks has either been fairly good with players he brought in to look at or has been weak to the point he'd have to move up 5+ picks to get a player they brought in to look at. Moving up 5+ picks is quite costly so you have to be sure that the player is the right pick to begin and also imo BB has this notion that from picks 25-45 you can find other players of similar talent levels in other areas of need. Now this philosophy hasn't always worked out but it hasn't hurt us either in comparison to other teams picks. What has hurt us is BB's seemingly high standards when it comes to certain positions and unwillingness to bend those standards. A prime example BB even admitted himself was Matthews. BB in not so many words said that Matthews didn't find the profile they had for an OLB and he regretted not moving outside that profile for him. In the case brd cited a move of 2-3 spots in the back half of the 1st is a minor move. You are talking a 4th or 5th really so if they were targeting Hightower or Ingram the value of the 4th imo is well worth the cost to move ahead of a team like Bal to get their guy provided they feel that nether will make it past the team at #29 or Bal. You see it's all about value of the trade verses the player themselves. A minor move in the backend of the round has value with minimal risk but moving up to the late teens early twenties is very costly with higher risk if the player doesn't work out. I'm just hoping BB realizes the vast difference in the D, esp the secondary, when players like Anderson and Carter managed to create pressure on QB. This might entice him to take a risk on similarly talented younger players then to skip over one that doesn't fit his idealized mold. As for trading one of the 1st back, this year I'm all in favor of it if the value is there. I see a lot of the talent the Pats could target being in the late 1st to early 3rd. If a team gets desperate for a Poe or if Jeffery falls and there is another Dal type of deal you take it. I could easily envision a team like Was or KC moving back into the 1st giving up a 3rd this year and a 1st next year to get a Poe or a team like the Eagles or Car trying to move up to grab a Floyd, Jeffery, or Jones and giving up a 2nd and a 4th

"I'm just hoping BB realizes the vast difference in the D, esp the secondary, when players like Anderson and Carter managed to create pressure on QB. This might entice him to take a risk on similarly talented younger players then to skip
    over one that doesn't fit his idealized mold."

like it.

re moving down from first to a 4th and 2nd or 3rd adn 1st

i dont want to move from 1st to 3rd or 4th this year (maybe to 2nd this year if we can get the players targeted). prefer to stay or move up a couple (or down a couple)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : Absolutely!!  We don't want Hightower taking over for Ray Lewis and have the beat go on in Baltimore.  Let's hope the Saints fall to the 49ers this weekend so that this is not an issue.  We can then take Hightower ahead of them like we did Gronk.  They might be looking to leapfrog us like we did to them in 2010. I do think Ingram and Hightower both still being on the board this late is unrealistic.  However, I think we will have at least one of these guys we like to select from: Hightower, Konz, Barron, Sanu.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

faucet,
    Let's hope the Saints fall to the 49ers this weekend so that this is not an issue.  We can then take Hightower ahead of them like we did Gronk. 

amen brother!

I do think Ingram and Hightower both still being on the board this late is unrealistic.  However, I think we will have at least one of these guys we like to select from: Hightower, Konz, Barron, Sanu.

agreed i wil be back later tonight to elaborate on this and something similar

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]UP UP UP. Sometimes I think BB is so arrogant he actually wants to coach a defense of totally undrafted guys just to prove his genius. Didn't we start a D with at least five or six undrafted guys this year? What real Pats fan wouldn't kill to have a Clay Mathews or Brian Cushing or Brook Reed at LB now? Or a Watt or Kerrigan or Aldon Smith on the line. Tell me you wouldn't trade the Saints pick and Vereen and Mallet for JJ Watt right now? Talent wins, and the Pats defense may be the most untalented in the history of the playoffs. MOVE UP in the draft and get us some talent on D. Please.
    Posted by pumpsiefan[/QUOTE]

been joking that it's his plan to win a super bowl to show he is the best coach of all time and brady the best qb of all time by winning it with a record setting worst defense