***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***

I was just about to write about Ingram from South Carolina geez maurice that guy was motoring on both of the big plays plus he recovers the onside kick on the hands team!! Holy smokes did he have a whale of a game... Sanu is a great WR makes every impossible catch in the books. The best player in the Georgia and SC game was the RB for SC Lattimore!!! Another WR to watch over the weekend was Pflugrad from ASU whenever his QB was in trouble this little mutt (Wes Welker type) was constantly getting open and making a grab 8 catches for a 180 and two TD's...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

mbeau, are you not big on juron criner? i didn't see his name in your list of WR prospects?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***:
    [QUOTE]mbeau, are you not big on juron criner? i didn't see his name in your list of WR prospects?
    Posted by cantstopme[/QUOTE]

I'll have to add him to my list, he hasn't played yet this year, but is another big bodied kid with day 2 potential.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]melvin ingram 276 lb de/dt for sout carolina just ran a fake punt looking better than brandon tate on a kickoff, lik e70 yards, juking db's running away from guys. damn! what a play by the dl.
    Posted by brdbreu[/QUOTE]

Kid certainly has some athleticism, think I remember them mentioning that he was a HS RB, must've been a load to bring down.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

am i imagining it? or is there really a ton of very exciting talent in college football this year -- and on both sides of teh ball? after this weekend, i am ready to say that the next draft will pretty damn deep.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : BS, Didn't get a chance to watch the game, how'd his speed and quicks look?  Routes?  On the topic of Wisconsin, RB Montee Ball (5-11 210) had himself another big game stat wise, any feedback on how he looked (speed/power/balance/vision etc.)?
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Not very quick, medium speed, more of a long strider like his dad.  Uses the body well, good hands.  He probably won't be a good combine guy, but will end up a good pro.  Ball looked very good, but in general I think Wisconsin backs benefit from a good run scheme and always solid OL play.  He was running threw some big holes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

WHAT DID YOU SEE IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL THIS WEEK?

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=bba70554b4af8340da255e2e9c7fe5d9&plckUserId=bba70554b4af8340da255e2e9c7fe5d9">
    THE BIG 12 LOOKS WEEK INCLUDING Texas just gettting by byu.
    ohio state just got by toledo in the big 10.
    justin balckmon is justin blackmon and some on the draft thread want that stud on the patriots.

the Texaas Coference, errr i mean big twelve is hangin by a string while oaklahoma decides if it want to go to the pac X in response to texas a&m leaving for the sec.

and will the bcs champion continue to be the sec champ.

what did you see on and off the field?

on a different note, what the hell is the ncaa doing voiding usc's championship because of bush, etc but not allowing auburn, who also went undefeated, and was as deserving or moreso, to be the champion of that year? and saying there was no champion that year. excuse me, no team was the best team in college football? huh??? ok you might as well cancel college football in div 2 forever if it doenst matter who is the best team in div 2.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

You might think about Trumaine Johnson, 6'2, 204 lbs, corner and Buck Buchanand cadidate out of Montana.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

been almos a week. where are you all?

incidentally the ingram all 276 lbs of him, juked out of his pants was one of the 2 georgia cb "studs" (the one i didnt want. forget his name).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I like Broyles as well, but after watching the Dallas/Jets game, I hope we target a bigger, more physical WR. It was interesting to see the matchup between Dez and Revis..very physical, with Dez winning some, Revis winning some. I think Revis tends to have his hands full with a speedy, bigger WR. Someone that can push him around a bit. As much as I like Broyles, I would like to draft someone a bit bigger.

The WR position is going to be interesting next year...
    1. Do they extend/resign Welker? If not, who plays the slot? (Edelman, Hernandez, Vereen?)
    2. What do they do with Ocho? Does he catch on this year?
    3. How many years does Branch have left?

That's 3 big question marks at WR. The only "knowns" are Gronk and Hernandez..Price?, Slater?, Edelman?...who's left?

Perhaps we go the way of the running back in 2011...meaning draft 2 WRs..or bring in another savvy vet.

If one/both of Branch/Welker are not on the roster next year....I vote for drafting Broyles early..If perhaps we go the route of a bigger WR early like below, I like Marquis Maze out of Alabama as Broyles 2.0.

If Price/Ocho don't pan out, and Branch/Welker stay, I like any of the following...all early picks
    Michael Floyd (off teh field issues, but perhaps that is past him..)
    Alshon Jeffery
    Jeff Fuller

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Hey MB...Do you have Marquis Maze on your WR list? What do you think of him?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Hey MB...Do you have Marquis Maze on your WR list? What do you think of him?
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

I do, prob have about 20 'Bama kids on there, ha.  Maze is a kid that I like, though I really want Blackmon in Foxboro!

Saw him a bit last weekend vs. Penn State and liked his quicks, athleticism, hands and ball skills and he looks competitive.  He made one very athletic play in particular, a diving catch down the middle of the field with a defender in his face showing off said hands as well as good body control.  He fits the mold of a smaller/quick WR with good short to intermediate/RAC ability that BB generally seems to target, but is probably 5-9 or less and will likely be relegated to slot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

very early but I like the list. I have a couple others to watch...
     Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina
     Kelechi Osomele, OL, Iowa State

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Hey MB, Thanks for starting the thread. O- For me this year I think the Oline is pretty set early on. Cannon will come off the PuP and with Vollmer, Solder, and Mankins long term the only position to really draft is depth and C. Since BB never seems to go C early I think I'm not even going to bother looking at OL players this early into the discussion. Matter a fact looking at the O the only position I can see us going early is WR. I don't think Branch will be long for the team and if Ocho can't figure it out that leaves us with basically Welker to resign, Price, and Edelman. A top end WR could be very useful On that note I'm looking at: Jeff Fuller WR Texas A&M Chris Owusu WR Stanford Damarlo Belcher WR Indiana Normally I would look at smaller quicker WR's but the Pats seem to realize that they can't go all <6' WR's and might get some size this time around D- This is a big area I think they will spend large this upcoming draft. Though, I don't think they will go LB again this year they have a number of older DL and 1 year players they will need to replace. On top of that the DB core still looks soft. Though I do think Bodden will be pushed back to S eventually and Ras will play opposite McCCourty or at the worst in the slot they still need another CB and could use another S. With that in mind here's who I'm looking at this year: Devin Taylor DE/OLB South Carolina (my personal favorite so far) Jake Bequette DE Arkansas Melvin Ingram DE South Carolina Julian Miller DE/OLB West Virgina Adewale Ojomo DE Miami Marcus Forston DE/DT Miami Baker Steinkuhler DE/DT Nebreska Devon Still DE/DT Penn State Robert Lester FS Alabama (coverage S we've been missing) Delano Howell SS/FS Stanford Kenny Tate SS/ILB Maryland Trumaine Johnson FS Montana Chase Minnifield CB Virginia (Ras's teammate) Alfonzo Dennard CB Nebraska Xavier Rhodes CB Florida State Janoris Jenkins CB North Alabama (arrests for pot is killing his stock and got kicked out of Florida. If he stayed clean he might have been a top 20 pick. Might be a typical high value pick if he falls to the 3rd that BB loves to pick up)
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Well you do realize BB inherited a pro-bowl 1st rd C in Damian Woody when he took over this team and then 3 years later drafted his backup in Koppen in rd 4, who was simply insurance in case Woody didn't resign.

When Woody got hurt and wanted too much $ Koppen proved he was a legit starting Center so we had no need to draft a Center high in the draft for at least the 6-7 years of Koppen's prime. Esp since he signed a reasonable extension.

Last years draft, with Koppen over 30 and a FA to be, was the only one since BB got here that you could have made the argument we needed to draft a Center early. Now, unless we get one in FA, it is a MUST position for this draft and we likely can't wait any later than rd 3 to get one.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I'd draft a 4-3 outside linebacker in rd 1 with the Saints pick, hope they go 9-7 or 10-6... they have a cake sched, it will likely be an 11-5 team with the 24th-27th pick.

This boards seems all over Manti Te'o and I'd love him too. He will likely go 14-20 with us having a pick in the 22-28 range it will cost at least a 2013 2nd and likely a 1st rounder to move up and get him. BB doesn't usually do that, but maybe with a 'win-now' mentality and the rookie payroll structure he'll have changed his tune.

With our pick I'd draft Mike Brewster or the best SS available.

With the Raiders 2nd rd pick draft Broyles

With our 2nd rd pick draft a safety or a C

With our 3rd rd pick I'd try to trade up into the 2nd rd. We need quality, not quantity.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Well you do realize BB inherited a pro-bowl 1st rd C in Damian Woody when he took over this team and then 3 years later drafted his backup in Koppen in rd 4, who was simply insurance in case Woody didn't resign. When Woody got hurt and wanted too much $ Koppen proved he was a legit starting Center so we had no need to draft a Center high in the draft for at least the 6-7 years of Koppen's prime. Esp since he signed a reasonable extension. Last years draft, with Koppen over 30 and a FA to be, was the only one since BB got here that you could have made the argument we needed to draft a Center early. Now, unless we get one in FA, it is a MUST position for this draft and we likely can't wait any later than rd 3 to get one.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]I think the Patriots had Pouncey on the top of their board and had too take Solder the consolation prize when the Fins took him way early in round 1,also the Patriots will find the solution to their need at Center someplace but I wouldn't bet the guy comes from the draft! Scarnecchia could find a solid blocking O-lineman in the Sahara desert....Connolly could be the heir apparent as could Wendell be...After week ten we will know which way the river flows and what the Patriots will draft I had them taking Pouncey or an offensive lineman this year and I guessed right. This year the early favorite positions for consideration are a stretch WR and Safety if either or both of those positions provide a great value for
    BB then that is the area to look for the next stud entering this draft 2012.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : I think the Patriots had Pouncey on the top of their board and had too take Solder the consolation prize when the Fins took him way early in round 1,also the Patriots will find the solution to their need at Center someplace but I wouldn't bet the guy comes from the draft! Scarnecchia could find a solid blocking O-lineman in the Sahara desert....Connolly could be the heir apparent as could Wendell be...After week ten we will know which way the river flows and what the Patriots will draft I had them taking Pouncey or an offensive lineman this year and I guessed right. This year the early favorite positions for consideration are a stretch WR and Safety if either or both of those positions provide a great value for BB then that is the area to look for the next stud entering this draft 2012.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

Solid line of thinking, I know we work wonders with the O-line.

I'd just like our line to be as elite as possible and adding blue-chip youth in the draft to Solder, Vollmer and (hopefully) Cannon can accomplish that. Mankins is in his prime and as Tom exits his and hits his mid-late 30's it is important he have a top 5 line in the league and not just a middle of the pack one like he did for most of his prime.

Connolly is, like Russ Hochstein before him, a career backup but great as a cog to use at any of the interior spots. He'll be a downgrade and eventually exposed as a full-time starter, even if Koppen was not the player he was 2-3 years ago. I like him as a guy who gives us superior depth. If we get a FA starter at C who'd be a better option than Connelly, then he would likely be just as expensive as a 1st or 2nd rd pick.

We have 4 picks in the first 2 rd's. The best C seems to be Mike Brewster who I have seen anywhere from 20-35 in mock drafts, he could be had for a 1st rd pick. The 2nd best C seems to be Ben Jones, who I have seen in the 40-60 range, and could be had for 1 of our 2nd rd picks.

It can never be a bad decision to grab the best player at any position, even not a glamor one, in the draft if that guy falls past 20 or the 2nd best player if he falls past 35.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : I think the Patriots had Pouncey on the top of their board and had too take Solder the consolation prize when the Fins took him way early in round 1,also the Patriots will find the solution to their need at Center someplace but I wouldn't bet the guy comes from the draft! Scarnecchia could find a solid blocking O-lineman in the Sahara desert....Connolly could be the heir apparent as could Wendell be...After week ten we will know which way the river flows and what the Patriots will draft I had them taking Pouncey or an offensive lineman this year and I guessed right. This year the early favorite positions for consideration are a stretch WR and Safety if either or both of those positions provide a great value for BB then that is the area to look for the next stud entering this draft 2012.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

I think you might be right on Connolly. What I like about him is 2 fold;
    1. Bigger than Koppen (6'4, 310-15)
    2. Came in 1st game of season in mid-game and didn't miss a beat.

If he is the heir apparent to Koppen, I still think we need to pick up a G in the draft to back up Mankins and Cannon. Brian Waters don't know how long he lasts

Agree...I think the Pats need to take a WR or two..of course, this will be based on how they handle Ocho, Welker and Branch after this year, and if Price can step up and produce. Safety, no brainer.

I'd also like to see an upgrade at OLB (4-3), and add a 4-3 DE as well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Early 2012 Center Rankings

1- Mike Brewster, C, Ohio State
    Analysis: Brewster has great size and a lot of starting experience for Ohio State. He started 10 games as a freshman and has started every game since as far as I’m aware. He will enter his senior season with about 35 games of starting experience which is pretty incredible for a program like Ohio State, especially at Center. That is typically a tough position to step into, especially because of all the responsibility you have for line calls, etc. I can’t imagine that was made any easier for him since I doubt Terrelle Pryor was ever much help in blitz pick-up. This is a talented class of Centers, but I think Brewster is the best of the bunch at this point.
    2- David Molk, C, Michigan
    Analysis: Molk is another good center and one of the few NFL caliber prospects on Michigan at this point. He is also a three year starter and has 29 games of starting experience for Michigan, which is quite impressive. He and Brewster are both on the Rimington watch list, and it would not surprise me in the least if one of them ended up winning the award. They are two of the best Centers not only in the Big-10 but in the entire country.
    3- Ben Jones, C, Georgia
    Analysis: Having Ben Jones at #3 surprised me because I was impressed by him when I watched a lot of Georgia games last year to take a look at A.J. Green, but obviously I noticed a lot of the other talent they have. Jones is another Center who has a lot of starting experience at the position, as he started 10 games as a freshman, all 13 as a sophomore and 12 as a junior. It is going to be a very interesting battle between these top four senior pivots to see who goes first. Imagine if they were all at the Senior Bowl! What a show that would be (yes, I just said that about Centers).
    4- William Vlachos, C, Alabama
    Analysis: Vlachos has 27 games of starting experience, making this class one of the deepest and most talented Center classes that I have ever seen. There isn’t a dominant junior at this point like there are at times (though Peter Konz could make a run at that title) but having four quality senior center prospects like this is incredibly rare. As Mihai Mitrache over at OGDraft.com told me today: “This is probably the first time anyone has ever said ‘Dang, this is a good Center class.’” I tend to agree, and all of the top four centers I have listed here have 27 games of starting experience or more, and the top three are three year starters. That is pretty incredible, and I am looking forward to watching all of them this year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I'd draft a 4-3 outside linebacker in rd 1 with the Saints pick, hope they go 9-7 or 10-6... they have a cake sched, it will likely be an 11-5 team with the 24th-27th pick. This boards seems all over Manti Te'o and I'd love him too. He will likely go 14-20 with us having a pick in the 22-28 range it will cost at least a 2013 2nd and likely a 1st rounder to move up and get him. BB doesn't usually do that, but maybe with a 'win-now' mentality and the rookie payroll structure he'll have changed his tune. With our pick I'd draft Mike Brewster or the best SS available. With the Raiders 2nd rd pick draft Broyles With our 2nd rd pick draft a safety or a C With our 3rd rd pick I'd try to trade up into the 2nd rd. We need quality, not quantity.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

re:

"We need quality, not quantity.
    i like this thinking

With our pick I'd draft Mike Brewster or the best SS available.

we dont need a ss we have chung, we may need a fs if we dont fill that during year or brown or barrett rise up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : re: " We need quality, not quantity. i like this thinking With our pick I'd draft Mike Brewster or the best SS available. we dont need a ss we have chung, we may need a fs if we dont fill that during year or brown or barrett rise up.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

Yeah brown and chung are both more of the hard-hitting SS types while we could really use a ballhawk FS in the draft. Sanders and Merriweather were also both in that average speed-good hitters mold over great speed great cover safeties. We haven't employed one of those in awhile.

Dowling was mentioned going into the draft as a possible FS option, corner speed but 6' with 200lbs on him. Maybe that eventually happens (like a Eugene Wilson type move) if it plays out that better additions can be made at CB over S.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

hey rame,
    yeah we could get an adeequate cb. i have said elsewhere if ras i continues to be good and even get better, id rather have a close to shut down corner.

i'd like 1 yr on a vet fs. and pick up that cover safety from georgia in the draft, forgetting his name at the moment.

yeah i saw ras i's free safety possibility in college as well. great ball hawk, great closing speed, hits like a strong safety, great body control in the air to make a play on the ball. think hed make a good free safety, but potential as a very good corner is tantalizing to me against these freak receivers in the league these days.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Is Kellen Moore an NFL QB?  System guy, Boise St. gimmick offense, etc.  The kid played great with 2 NFL WRs last year and is great with no talent this year.  I like him, has that winner vibe.  Pretty cool to be throwing passes to your brother as well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]hey rame, yeah we could get an adeequate cb. i have said elsewhere if ras i continues to be good and even get better, id rather have a close to shut down corner. i'd like 1 yr on a vet fs. and pick up that cover safety from georgia in the draft, forgetting his name at the moment. yeah i saw ras i's free safety possibility in college as well. great ball hawk, great closing speed, hits like a strong safety, great body control in the air to make a play on the ball. think hed make a good free safety, but potential as a very good corner is tantalizing to me against these freak receivers in the league these days.

Safeties Michael Griffin and LaRon Landry are free agents this offseason. Landry is more the SS, Griffin the FS. A Griffin-Chung duo would be 27 and 24 next year and work great together for a long time.

Jeff Saturday, who is 37, had that celebrated hug with Bob Kraft and could be a stop-gap/insurance if they choose not to add a Center in the draft but just go with Connolly. But beyond Saturday and the now injury risk Koppen there is little at Center, while the draft has 4 very talented guys as I showed above and at least 2 will be there for us with the Raiders 2nd rd pick.

Steve Smith and Brandon Lloyd are FA WR's that fit into our scheme, over say the big bucks WR's in next years class, the Jackson's (DeSean and Vincent) and Dwayne Bowe, and if one of Branch (ugh) or Johnson (ho-hum to this point) leave would fir well.

As for 4-3 DE's who rush the passer, my dream would be Mario Williams, but that is unlikely. I'd love to trade a 2nd rd pick for Osi, or if he's not the Osi of old maybe a 3rd or 4th rd pick. But signing Cliff Avril (to replace Mark Anderson) would be a good move too.

Free agency is not full of linebackers, either for the 3-4 or 4-3. I'd trade for Lance Briggs and/or use one of our 4 picks in the 1st two rounds on one.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]hey rame, yeah we could get an adeequate cb. i have said elsewhere if ras i continues to be good and even get better, id rather have a close to shut down corner. i'd like 1 yr on a vet fs. and pick up that cover safety from georgia in the draft, forgetting his name at the moment. yeah i saw ras i's free safety possibility in college as well. great ball hawk, great closing speed, hits like a strong safety, great body control in the air to make a play on the ball. think hed make a good free safety, but potential as a very good corner is tantalizing to me against these freak receivers in the league these days.

and yes if Ras-I can eb an elite CB, with all the big WR's we play against, that is WAY more valuable than free safety.

The right mix of veteran bigs on defense, say Avril and Griffin FA and a Briggs trade, with a CB-FS ballhawk and pass rusher drafted and we'd be in serious business.