***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : and yes if Ras-I can eb an elite CB, with all the big WR's we play against, that is WAY more valuable than free safety. The right mix of veteran bigs on defense, say Avril and Griffin FA and a Briggs trade, with a CB-FS ballhawk and pass rusher drafted and we'd be in serious business.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

yeah id take it but you're describing some near dream scenarios.
    i hear pats need some help in the "brain" room. get on it.
    :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

[QUOTE]Ryan Broyles is the best fit for NE. agility, route running, speed, inteligence, versatility. i would also look for a bigger WR as there are many coming out this year. i would target a 2nd round prospect like juron criner or Mohamed Sanu.
    Posted by cantstopme[/QUOTE]

My concern about Broyles is the lack of success of OU wide receivers drafted high (rds 1-3) since Stoops has been coach.  None of them has measured up to their draft position (Mark Clayton, Malcom Kelly, Bradley, Jones, Iglesias, etc).  I lived in Oklahoma during this era and each of these receivers were "great" college playters and hyped as much as Broyles. 

Stoops system makes his WR's look good, but for some reason they don't translate well at the next level.  Buyer beware.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb24. Show isurfvb24's posts

harrison smith S notre dame has patriots written all over him, plays a little linebacker too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]Is Kellen Moore an NFL QB?  System guy, Boise St. gimmick offense, etc.  The kid played great with 2 NFL WRs last year and is great with no talent this year.  I like him, has that winner vibe.  Pretty cool to be throwing passes to your brother as well.
    Posted by BSII[/QUOTE]The Moore you see him the Moore you like him!!! Kellen is a very astute QB and has been training since he was in pop warner football to be just what he is a Quarterback! Those gimmick offenses are harder to run than any conventional one!! He knows where all of his receivers are supposed to be on every play,just watch him read the progression of receivers sometime,he's an absolute marvel and has pinpoint accuracy,so in answer to your question yes he's a legitimate NFL QB. Though don't count the Patriots in as a suitor because he's not the right size as they have both a height and weight requirement for them to draft a QB 6'4" 225 lbs. Also he's lefthanded which requires the RT to be better than the traditional LT.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

what did you see this weekend?
    miami was too much for ohio state. 
    florida state did better with their backup qb. if hes in the whole game, they dont throw those interceptions and fsu has a chance to beat oaklahoma.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Ok it's been a couple weeks at the college level so I have a better idea on some players. Also with a week in the NFL book I have a better idea what the Pats might be looking for.

What I'm seeing for the Pats is that on O:

WR's - I have no doubt Welker will be back now. They absolutely need him. Edelman is a good returner and ST player but he's not taking over Welkers role anytime soon. Price has the ability to be a #2 or a poor mans #1 WR if he can stay healthy. But, Ocho is a question and Branch might not be around next yea. We need some WR's and a bigger one would be great.

C's - Koppen has had constant injury for the last couple years and even though Connolly is a very good swing man I don't want to see him at C for a long period

For the rest of the O looks fairly solid maybe some late round development players for depth but pretty solid

as for D:

This is more of a concern and it starts in the secondary. It all depends what happens if they move Bodden to FS and how Ras works out but past Arrington they have no one in the CB or FS positions. I think SS is set but I'm looking for a FS early and some mid round CB's as nickel options

The LB core seems decent with Flecther and Mayo up the middle. And if Spikes comes back and plays then the ILB position is set. At OLB it's basically Nin at this point. Hopefully Edds becomes a waiver gem and Cunningham can pick it up but we need a true OLB across from Nin

The DL isn't getting younger. Wilfork, Pryor, Love seem like long term players but Deadrick and Brace are on the bubble and who knows what happens next year after Ellis, Anderson, and Carters contracts run up. Not to mention Haynesworth.

For college players who impressed me and ones I'm watching:

on O:

C - BB doesn't take C's early he feels they can and should be found in later rounds. Given Sca as OL coach he could be right. I'm looking at sleepers Scott Wedige Nothern Ill. He was a surprisingly solid 1st year starter at C and has performed even better this year. Grant Garner out of Garner is going to interesting to watch how he performs against throughout the year

WR - This is an area I think they go high. Typically for BB it's been in round 2 and 3 and I don't see that changing. Some impressive larger WR's I've seen in the last couple weeks have been:

Michael Flyod - at 6'3" 218 he is a large body who has decent 4.5 speed. In his first 2 games he's looked like a 18 yr old boy among 65 yr old men. His off-field concerns might push him into the 2nd but he looks like a top 10 pick.

Juron Criner - looks like the best possession WR in this draft in my eyes. He's reminds me of a younger Ocho when he was in college. If that statement holds true we all know how much BB liked Ocho going into the draft. With the extra picks he might get his chance to grab his guy this time around.

Chris Owusu - He does have Luck tossing to him but given he's coming off a season ending knee injury he looks good, real good. That knee concern might make him a late 2nd early 3rd range which is BB choice area to take a risk on injury prone WR's

for the D:

It all starts at FS's and CB's for me and BB likes to take them early and often:

Robert Lester FS - He is where it starts and ends if he makes it to the late 1st for me. He's a ball hawking coverage S with size and speed. You put him in with Bodden, Ras, McCourty, and Chung and the secondary looks like on of the best in the league

Eddie Whitley FS - He has looked good in coverage so far. Not a ball hawk just a very solid coverage S with tons of speed. No one will be out running him in coverage. Reminds me of Sanders solid all around but not great at one thing or another

Cliff Harris CB - He is a playmaker simply put. He's not a shut down CB but he's more the average in coverage 1v1. He's got a noise for the ball and has extremely fluid hips which is something BB loves

Chase Minnifield CB - A former teammate of Ras with similar skills. He has been a blanket this year not allowing WR's the beat him 1v1. This kid is dangerous in the backfield if put into the right position to succeed.

Janoris Jenkins CB - My personal pick here. Given his off-field issues and that he's in a division that won't show case his talents he's going to be a day 2 pick with day 1 talent (Remind anyone of the same circumstances as Hernandez). This kid is special and has shown it so far. Against the level of competition he's facing he should be dominant though

Vinny Curry DL/OLB - was impressive so far 3 sacks in 2 games will do that. Want to see if he can keep it up

Baker Steinkuhler DL - has been suspended for DUI. His stock is dropping faster then the Colts which is only a good thing. This kid had a heck of a sophomore season and was expected to have a blow out junior season. If he can come back strong after the suspension he might be a steal in the 3rd

Chase Thomas OLB - he has looked unblockable so far this season. He's fast athletic and strong at the POA I'm keeping my eye on this kid

Brandon Lindsey OLB - has had an impressive start to a season and is worth keeping an eye on

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]To me in this upcoming Draft it starts with Safety. Thanks for the info PatEng, I'll keep tabs on Lester.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

lester thats his name.
    posted aa month ago he woudl be a good target for pats cover free safety. he can cover and he can play fs

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

trade our #1 down, take brewster with N.O's pick and select the best safety with the raiders pick. add a DE with our 2nd round pick.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

gracias MB...never to early to speculate.
    safety, center, DL, WR, OLB, OG
    List for Santa....Lester, Brewster, Billy Winn, Floyd

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

SAFETY! We need a Big Time SAFETY next draft! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

so it's done texas a&m to sec. will be on shced next yr
    wv, misouri, vt  in comp for # 14. will they go 16?
    will they consider schools n same state as current members?
    will they consider tcu for market purposes? will it aid or hurt the sec (bcs, recruiting, viablity,...
    vs say pac 16 with oka, oka st, texas, texas tech.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]harrison smith S notre dame has patriots written all over him, plays a little linebacker too.
    Posted by isurfvb24[/QUOTE]

I like Smith a lot.  Good size kid, active, physical, instinctive and always around the ball.  Projects as atleast a decent box safety at the NFL level with some ability in coverage and decent ball skills (7 INT, 7 PD in 2010, 4 PD through 3 games in 2011).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Michael Floyd (assuming BB is comfortable with his history of DUI's) is my consolation prize if they miss out on Blackmon.  Very good size, good speed, willing and physical blocker, good hands and ball skills, will work the middle of the field, play maker, plays the game with emotion and has plenty of experience as the #1 option in an offense.  I see this kid every week and all he does is make plays, doing his best to put ND in a position to win. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Wow, I'm 8 pages behind already.  I will try to catch up ASAP.  If someone already beat me to this, I'm sorry but here is the list of guys whose contracts expire after the 2011 season.  I've done my best to keep up with this but there could be errors so if anyone has contrary information, please let me know.  The ages given are their ages as of the end of 2011 so add a year heading into 2012.  Ninkovich was just extended so he's off the list.  I haven't spent the time to see who is restricted, will do that next and update.

30 W Welker '11
    31 Koppen '11
    26 Green-Ellis '11
    29 Connolly '11
    32 Branch '11
    25 Guyton '11
    25 Wendell '11
    25 Arrington '11
    34 Brian Waters
    25 Hoyer '11
    26 M Slater
    34 S Ellis
    32 A Carter
    28 M Anderson
    29 Wright '12

Extending Welker would seem the biggest priority.  Branch is playing great but will be 33 so perhaps he become a year-to-year guy if healthy.  We have 4 interior linesmen in Koppen, Waters, Connolly and Wendall with expiring contracts.  Cannon would seem to solve one of them and I think Connolly is showing his versitility enough to get an extension, but not sure if he's the answer at C.  Slater has proven is worth on special teams and should be affordable enough to keep.  Hoyer should become trade bait but not sure if we can control him after the season, he should be restricted.

I think with Mike Wright's history of concussions, he will probably be cut or retire.  The other DEs, Ellis and Carter are up there in age.  Arrington is a steady enough guy and Dowling continues to look like he will keep the injury bug with him which was why I was against drafting him.  RBs are never hard to find and we have a pair of young ones so what happens with BJGE isn't a huge concern.

So we have 4 interior OL and 4 exterior DL types with major question marks.  With 2 picks in the first and 2 in the second we could address the below early but I just know BB will trade one of those 1st rounders to acquire more picks expecially in the later rounds.  After digesting this I think our priorities for the draft should be:

DE
    C/OG
    S
    CB

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]Wow, I'm 8 pages behind already.  I will try to catch up ASAP.  If someone already beat me to this, I'm sorry but here is the list of guys whose contracts expire after the 2011 season.  I've done my best to keep up with this but there could be errors so if anyone has contrary information, please let me know.  The ages given are their ages as of the end of 2011 so add a year heading into 2012.  Ninkovich was just extended so he's off the list.  I haven't spent the time to see who is restricted, will do that next and update. 30 W Welker '11 31 Koppen '11 26 Green-Ellis '11 29 Connolly '11 32 Branch '11 25 Guyton '11 25 Wendell '11 25 Arrington '11 34 Brian Waters 25 Hoyer '11 26 M Slater 34 S Ellis 32 A Carter 28 M Anderson 29 Wright '12 Extending Welker would seem the biggest priority.  Branch is playing great but will be 33 so perhaps he become a year-to-year guy if healthy.  We have 4 interior linesmen in Koppen, Waters, Connolly and Wendall with expiring contracts.  Cannon would seem to solve one of them and I think Connolly is showing his versitility enough to get an extension, but not sure if he's the answer at C.  Slater has proven is worth on special teams and should be affordable enough to keep.  Hoyer should become trade bait but not sure if we can control him after the season, he should be restricted. I think with Mike Wright's history of concussions, he will probably be cut or retire.  The other DEs, Ellis and Carter are up there in age.  Arrington is a steady enough guy and Dowling continues to look like he will keep the injury bug with him which was why I was against drafting him.  RBs are never hard to find and we have a pair of young ones so what happens with BJGE isn't a huge concern. So we have 4 interior OL and 4 exterior DL types with major question marks.  With 2 picks in the first and 2 in the second we could address the below early but I just know BB will trade one of those 1st rounders to acquire more picks expecially in the later rounds.  After digesting this I think our priorities for the draft should be: DE C/OG S CB
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

i like wr, center, free safety, dline. top dls and top wr's go high.
    we need a top dl, wr and free safety, i wonder what we can get before the draft?

i dont like waiting so long to see what we have in vereen and ridley. ridley and woodhead should get most of the carries imo and see what vereen is mixing him in (we know what bjge is- trusty not talented), and price slater (can they be starting wr's)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

so free safety looks like some competition (for who should be our free safety drafted) for lester in Tyrann Mathieu.

what did you see this weekend?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

[QUOTE]Michael Floyd (assuming BB is comfortable with his history of DUI's) is my consolation prize if they miss out on Blackmon.  Very good size, good speed, willing and physical blocker, good hands and ball skills, will work the middle of the field, play maker, plays the game with emotion and has plenty of experience as the #1 option in an offense.  I see this kid every week and all he does is make plays, doing his best to put ND in a position to win. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

What about some mid-round to late round guys like R Broyles, K Wright, L Lewis, BJ Cunningham, L Byrd, and M Maze (a WW clone)?  They are not super fast, but always seem to get open and catch the ball and seem to fit the BB offense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : What about some mid-round to late round guys like R Broyles, K Wright, L Lewis, BJ Cunningham, L Byrd, and M Maze (a WW clone)?  They are not super fast, but always seem to get open and catch the ball and seem to fit the BB offense.
    Posted by gln826[/QUOTE]

It really depends on what kind of player they're looking for.  I like Broyles a lot, think his game and skill set translates well to NE's style of offense.  I also like what I've seen from Maze, both are are smaller quick twitch type kids with good RAC ability, however both may be better operating out of the slot.

Blackmon on the otherhand is a pure #1 WR type that can impact the game from anywhere on the field.  Physically, he looks like T.O. to me and IMO is a potential top tier WR in the NFL.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]I was just about to write about Ingram from South Carolina geez maurice that guy was motoring on both of the big plays plus he recovers the onside kick on the hands team!! Holy smokes did he have a whale of a game... Sanu is a great WR makes every impossible catch in the books. The best player in the Georgia and SC game was the RB for SC Lattimore!!! Another WR to watch over the weekend was Pflugrad from ASU whenever his QB was in trouble this little mutt (Wes Welker type) was constantly getting open and making a grab 8 catches for a 180 and two TD's...
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

sb,
    Got a chance to see Pflugrad play this weekend, he wasn't targeted a ton, but definitely exhibited the quick twitch type skill set that seems to be appealing to BB.  He looks like a kid that would project as a slot player in their offense.  I'll be adding him to the list.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Like most, my biggest concern through (3) games is the secondary, particularly the apparent regression of Devin McCourty.  It's one thing to struggle a bit against big top level WR's like Brandon Marshall and Vincent Jackson, but it's another to get flat out beat by Donald Jones (a 2nd year player out of 1AA Youngstown State).  Now it's still early in the year and he has time to turn things around, but his ability to locate and make a play of the football has been subpar.

Additionally, while the offense appears to be clicking on all cylinders (for the most part), I do have some concerns about the long term health of their outside WR's (I fully expect them to extend WW) with Branch and Johnson both on the wrong side of 30, the latter having issues catching onto the offense and simply catching the ball in general.  Taylor Price flashed for a game in the preseason and might be that guy, but I think WR is certainly a position that could be addressed in the upcoming draft, especially with the potential talent available in this class.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

PLEASE no more CB's in the 1st 2 rounds, that's all I ask this year. So far our CB's stink but honestly I'm scared that BB will spend high on another CB this year and I'm getting tired of it. How many picks do the Pats need to use in rounds 1-2 before they can put together a decent secondary? I'm praying they package both 1st rounders together to move up and get a true pass rusher, but I doubt this will happen. I'm putting the odds of grabbing a pass rusher in the 1st at 2.3% and the odds of grabbing another CB in the first 3 picks at 95%

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I urge you all to ignore posters that have nothing to add to this thread.