***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Pats, I like what I've seen from Fuller and Cam Johnson is a very intriguing kid to me,  good size, very versatile and can get after the QB, make plays behind the LOS.  The knock on him has been his motor, but the kid is on the field a ton (70 plays per game as a soph, 60 as a junior), so it could be fatigue.  He's also been diagnosed with "sickle-cell anemia", which can effect energy levels etc.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

yeah some knock on plays going away from him and his persuit.  He does play a ton of plays and could be a case of him saving a little bit.  Will keep watching see how he continues to do this offseason, he could play himself into early 1st round.  I think he'll test off the charts so might be out of the Pats reach.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : yeah some knock on plays going away from him and his persuit.  He does play a ton of plays and could be a case of him saving a little bit.  ...
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

imho...that is more an issue with his mentality. for that position i want guys who will be determined to run down his prey no matter what.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

did not see the anemia deal. regardless, you want someone with consistent energy for 60 mins.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : ...DE, S, C, CB would be my choices with our first 4 picks.  ..
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

i am thinking dt before c. ah is not a long term solution in front. i don't trust the guy behind him would step up to the level that we need to get the push up front, as much as i trust connolly at c. 

de and dt in the first rnd (like bb would ever use both picks)
    cb and s in the second (looks like a lot of depth at cb)
    c in the third

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know Brd, after watching last nights game I think the Colts are pushing hard for Luck. Did you see some of those missed tackles? I swear they jumped intentionally to the side of the runner all night. I think the only time they actually hit a TB player was if the TB player ran into them. Right now for odds of getting Luck'y' I put the odds at: Colts -        4:1 Mia -          2:1 Rams -        2:1 Seahawks - 1.5:1 KC -           1:2 Den -         1:4 You might think the Rams are a weird choice to include but they really stink and could use the plethora of picks they would get in a trade
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

hey eng,
    no i didnt see most of the game. only some plays here and there. wouldnt be surprised if they(colta) try. i'll be pissed if luck goes to the afc. agree on the rams, ddint mention being worried about them cause i figured they wont pick luck. im good if minn or seattle winthe luck sweepstakes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Hey gents how's it going, would love a true #1 WR but I think with the success of other teams drafting WRs in the 2nd and 3rd as well as BB not drafting a WR in the 1st I think the earliest is the 2nd round for a WR.  Last draft there were over 4 or 5 quality 43 pass rush DEs drafted in the 2nd round, I don't know if my guy will be available in the 2nd but hope he is.  This year I would like to see a stud. If I had to go right now and draft here are my 4 guys I'll be picking, IMO we might see a similar draft in 6 months.  Offcourse I have to take a DB, its the norm now. DE Cam Johnson (Sr) Virginia 6'4" 270 also has a year experience at 34 OLB. Explosive first step. FS Markelle Martin (Sr) Oklahoma State 6'1" 198 excellent in pass coverage, needs work in run defense.  But IMO we need a FS that can prevent the big play. OC Peter Konz (Jr) Wisconsin 6'5" 315 I really like Konz, strong anchor for a very good Winconsin OL.  If he comes out as a Jr he'll be the #1 ranked C if he continues to develop WR Jeff Fuller  (Sr) Texas A&M 6'4" 220  A player I really like (3rd or 4th) is Kendall Wright, excellent route runner very good hands.  he's a younger version of Branch with a little mix of WW in there as well.  He's only 5'10" 190 not a big guy but shifty and finds the empty space in a zone. 
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]\

hey pats73,
        you like martin over lester. i think lester may bethe best cover free safety.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

hey bredbru

Not what I said, I think the best DE Quinton Couples but I know the Pats won't have a shot at him same applies with Lester.  Lester because of his size can play either S spot IMO, a plus that's he's very good in coverage.  Last draft was a weak safety class and there's a good number of teams which S will be a top 3 need come draft time.  I think you could see both Alabama safeties gone in the first, Lester more so than Barron.  Barron is playing very well also.

On Cam Johnson, I hear what you are saying about a few plays off not persuit in some plays but watch plays going away from current players on roster who are rotating in you'll see the same.  Not making excuses just wouldn't dismiss a very talented kid because some plays he doesn't persuit from the back side full speed specially when he's play all the snaps he's playing.  His first step is very very good, he's a rusher that won't just try to bull rush he'll fly by the OT.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]hey bredbru Not what I said, I think the best DE Quinton Couples but I know the Pats won't have a shot at him same applies with Lester.  Lester because of his size can play either S spot IMO, a plus that's he's very good in coverage.  Last draft was a weak safety class and there's a good number of teams which S will be a top 3 need come draft time.  I think you could see both Alabama safeties gone in the first, Lester more so than Barron.  Barron is playing very well also. On Cam Johnson, I hear what you are saying about a few plays off not persuit in some plays but watch plays going away from current players on roster who are rotating in you'll see the same.  Not making excuses just wouldn't dismiss a very talented kid because some plays he doesn't persuit from the back side full speed specially when he's play all the snaps he's playing.  His first step is very very good, he's a rusher that won't just try to bull rush he'll fly by the OT.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

thanks for the clarification.
    was it barron if i remember right who got juked out of his pants by the 270 lb lineman taking a turnover to the house. if so, that didnt look good.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Coples i see gone in the top 5. Lester and Barron though should both make it to at least the end of the first round. I expect them to be 2nd round picks. I really liked what I've seen out of T.J McDonald of USC. I'm leaning towards him as the top safety on my board for the Pats. The last of the top safeties, Ray Ray Armstrong of Miami, the school, position, and off field concerns have me wanting the Pats going away from someone easy to compare to Meriweather.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

am i missing something about coples? i just watched their first half against virginia, and i did not see anything special. he looked slow. if he's really talented, then my conclusion is that he can be lazy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Good news travels fast the way Garcia is chucking the ball Alshon Jeffrey has almost become a non factor. Conversely Ingram and Lattimore have had some good games. I don't know all the names of the DB's playing at LSU but they can all ball... You guys keep this thread going because it's my way of keeping up with all things Patriots draft 2012.I ham going back to work and will be in and out of my base of computer time.So I'll check in from time to time to see where the trends are going....Good chatting with you folks..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

SEC news, misouri has been given an unofficial invite. top big 12 teams want big 12 to stay alive for the easy walk to a nat'l championship game (instead of having to fight their way through the sec or the pac). bottom big 12 teams stand to lose the millions and go back to being a podunk u school.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]Jonathan Banks Junior Miss St. DB 6'2 190 2011 Stats: 6 games, 35 total tckles, 2 TFL, 4 int, 1 sack, 7 passes broken up, 1 QB hurry ..
    Posted by ricky12684[/QUOTE]

good find. looks like he could build his strength a little more, but seems to have really good instincts...good awareness. i like the way he quickly turns his head left and right to check where people are before the snap.

i will now have to record miss st games.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I've been looking forward to watching DE Jake Bequette this season but hadn't because of his hamstring injury.  He didn't have a ton of stats against Auburn and wasn't huge but this is his first action in a almost a month.

This guy IMO is someone to watch, 6'5" 271 and has a quick release off the line combine with power.

I don't get too see a ton of Arkansas, actually don't think too many people do but if you get a chance to check him out.  He could be a target in the 3rd round range. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Yeah, SF and Washington both seem to be angling towards the 1st overall pick.  I'd like to see him end up in SF, reunite with Harbaugh etc.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]
    Not the case anymore, obviously.  It looks like Luck could end up a COLT.  Ughh.  Or a Dolphin.  The Rams don't need a QB.  There is still a lot of season to be played but the thought of Andrew Lucky going to Indy or Miami is sending chills down my spine.  I don't want Denver to get the next Elway either.  I'm hoping he ends up in the NFC to a place like MIN but there are certainly more dogs in the AFC this year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Bequette, I think, might be a good pick for the Pats.  His intelligence is supposedly unparalleled in the draft.  He has already finished his Bachelors and is getting his masters.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : i am thinking dt before c. ah is not a long term solution in front. i don't trust the guy behind him would step up to the level that we need to get the push up front, as much as i trust connolly at c.  de and dt in the first rnd (like bb would ever use both picks) cb and s in the second (looks like a lot of depth at cb) c in the third
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]
    If we get rid of AH, I could see us going back to the 34.  In either case, BB loves to draft DL so it would not shock me to go with another DT early on. 

I have studied the Pat's draft tendencies and personnel moves and they pick based as much, if not more, on positional contractual status and age as they do need.   In other words, if they have a starter who is getting old and declining, AND/OR is set to become a free agent and there are questions about his re-signability, they will draft that position.  Case in point.  Nate Solder was taken specifically because of Matt Light's situation, a F/A who was getting up there.  Occassionally, we will draft a value player who makes no sense but the player was too good to fall as far as he has like Mallett. 

We had a ton of RBs in Morris, Taylor and Faulk getting up there and all becoming F/A so used a pair of high picks and drafted Ridley and Vereen.  With the game the Law Firm put up yesterday with the progression he is making and the fact that he never fumbles, I could see us paying the man.  Ridley has been impressive and 2nd round pick Vereen hasn't seen the field yet.  We are set at RB, so I wouldn't even talk about drafting one this year.

Looking specifically at the contract situation our two priorities are Welker and BJGE.  We need to lock up both and I think we will.  We still have questions at WR with OCHO not living up and Branch who will be a F/A and getting old.  Could Price solve one of these spots?  Even if so, WR could be a top 4-5 need.

Next we still have questions on the OL with Connolly, Koppen Wendell and Waters all becoming F/A.  These are all interior guys and Cannon should solve the RG spot.  Bringing back Connolly would make a ton of sense and if Waters stays healthy I'd bring him back too but we need a C/G to develop regardless if Koppen returns.

Defensively, Guyton and Arrington are top priorities with Ellis, Carter and Anderson all expendable.  Yes we have to upgrade the safety position and we still have not found that lock down corner opposite McCourty who can stay healthy (Dowling/Bodden).

Speaking strictly from a contracts prospective, our needs are again on offense with starters Welker, Branch, Connolly, Waters and BJGE all becoming free agents.  Defensively no normal starters are free agents except part-time starters and major contributers Guyton and Arrington. 

We have 4 high picks for 2012 but how many of them (assuming we use them all) will start or be immediate contributers?  Let's look at the 2011 class.  Only Solder is starting with Ridley and Dowling (when healthy) contributing.  Solder is only starting because Vollmer is hurt.  Point is, it will be tough for more than 1-2 2012 rookies to make immediate impacts.  S and WR would seem to be the two places a 2012 rookie could step in and see playing time next year if things work out the way I think. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

DL is first and foremost my focus this draft. If you look at our current line you have:

Ellis - 1 year deal and so far hasn't shown much
    Carter - Applies some pressure but just can't get to the QB in time
    Haynesworth - the invisible
    Anderson - Master of getting the sack on the final play with a commanding lead

One of the names I've been watching and very impressed with is

Alameda Ta'amu NT - Washington - This guy is 6'3" 330 and absolutely clogs up huge holes against the run. You may look at his size and say he's more of a 34 NT but he also collapses the pocket nicely. He might not get to the QB but I've seen him push a C and G back 3 yrds causing the QB to get happy feet. Imagine a guy his size and strength right next to Wilfork in the middle. Now it's hard to place where he would fall. If he has a couple of really good games he could be a top 15 talent but right now I'm thinking somewhere between 20-40 range which would be perfect.

What's a new DT/NT without a new rushing DE? For that don't forget about:

Devin Taylor - DE S. Carolina 6'7" 250lb - This guy had a great Sophomore season but has been a disappointment so far this season. He has the talent to get to the QB but has taken a step backward as of late. This could be a good thing for us. Once thought of as a top 25 talent his stock is getting worse with ever game. My guess is if he remains inconsistent this year he'll either stay in school or be considered a late 2nd round pick. This guy is to talented imo not to grab if he's there in the late 2nd. Get him in the weight room and add 20 lbs and he'd be great off the edge, esp if Peppers can train him.

These guys should fall to where we are and both are extremely talented to fit this system.

As with the secondary I still think Robert Lester would look great in that FS coverage S position we need desperately (provided they don't move Bodden over). He hasn't been the ball hawk he normally has this season which is hurting his stock but he is still a great coverage S. And, of course me and MB's guy Janoris Jenkins CB has been dominant in his small school. For a 3rd round pick I would jump on him in a heartbeat.

AS with the C position one person in the 4th is catching my eye, Ben Habern. He's a little on the smaller side at 291 but he's the perfect height for Brady to throw over at 6'2". If he can put on another 10lbs this guy is similar to Koppen in technique. He's a smart C who I've seen calling out the blitzes and might be one of the top 3 pass protectors in the draft. His run blocking is just average but when you can put Solder, Mankins, Cannon, Vollmer around him do you really need him to be the best run blocker? He's a C BB might grab with the 4th or if he trades back and gets a 5th

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : If we get rid of AH, I could see us going back to the 34.  In either case, BB loves to draft DL so it would not shock me to go with another DT early on.  I have studied the Pat's draft tendencies and personnel moves and they pick based as much, if not more, on positional contractual status and age as they do need.   In other words, if they have a starter who is getting old and declining, AND/OR is set to become a free agent and there are questions about his re-signability, they will draft that position.  Case in point.  Nate Solder was taken specifically because of Matt Light's situation, a F/A who was getting up there.  Occassionally, we will draft a value player who makes no sense but the player was too good to fall as far as he has like Mallett.  We had a ton of RBs in Morris, Taylor and Faulk getting up there and all becoming F/A so used a pair of high picks and drafted Ridley and Vereen.  With the game the Law Firm put up yesterday with the progression he is making and the fact that he never fumbles, I could see us paying the man.  Ridley has been impressive and 2nd round pick Vereen hasn't seen the field yet.  We are set at RB, so I wouldn't even talk about drafting one this year. Looking specifically at the contract situation our two priorities are Welker and BJGE.  We need to lock up both and I think we will.  We still have questions at WR with OCHO not living up and Branch who will be a F/A and getting old.  Could Price solve one of these spots?  Even if so, WR could be a top 4-5 need. Next we still have questions on the OL with Connolly, Koppen Wendell and Waters all becoming F/A.  These are all interior guys and Cannon should solve the RG spot.  Bringing back Connolly would make a ton of sense and if Waters stays healthy I'd bring him back too but we need a C/G to develop regardless if Koppen returns. Defensively, Guyton and Arrington are top priorities with Ellis, Carter and Anderson all expendable.  Yes we have to upgrade the safety position and we still have not found that lock down corner opposite McCourty who can stay healthy (Dowling/Bodden). Speaking strictly from a contracts prospective, our needs are again on offense with starters Welker, Branch, Connolly, Waters and BJGE all becoming free agents.  Defensively no normal starters are free agents except part-time starters and major contributers Guyton and Arrington.  We have 4 high picks for 2012 but how many of them (assuming we use them all) will start or be immediate contributers?  Let's look at the 2011 class.  Only Solder is starting with Ridley and Dowling (when healthy) contributing.  Solder is only starting because Vollmer is hurt.  Point is, it will be tough for more than 1-2 2012 rookies to make immediate impacts.  S and WR would seem to be the two places a 2012 rookie could step in and see playing time next year if things work out the way I think. 

Hey Faucet long time no take.

I agree with the approach of contracts and draft picks starting with Brace/VW most recent I can remember and a very obvious one.

This season I don't see them been able to let WW go.  He's just too important to the O and aside from a little feet talk he's been as perfect a Patriot as you can get. 

WR though, you think they see Price and Edelman as already the replacements/security blankets in case WW does go? 

I agree at S, IMO that's one key place you can have a rook (high draft pick) come in and help. 

I'm still trying to figure out Connolly, I was ready to throw the towel in on this guy as a G but steps in at C and has not been bad at all.  I think the more reps he gets the better he'll be.

To your point there are 3 DEs that will be a FA, out of the three Anderson I'll like to see back if I had to choose one of the three.  I would love for them to add a high motor speed guy, IMO their missing link is speed off the edge aside from Anderson. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Not the case anymore, obviously.  It looks like Luck could end up a COLT.  Ughh.  Or a Dolphin.  The Rams don't need a QB.  There is still a lot of season to be played but the thought of Andrew Lucky going to Indy or Miami is sending chills down my spine.  I don't want Denver to get the next Elway either.  I'm hoping he ends up in the NFC to a place like MIN but there are certainly more dogs in the AFC this year.

hey faucet,
    :)
    ive been saying the same thing on the board down to nfc please and minn with fingers crossed

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]DL is first and foremost my focus this draft. If you look at our current line you have: Ellis - 1 year deal and so far hasn't shown much Carter - Applies some pressure but just can't get to the QB in time Haynesworth - the invisible Anderson - Master of getting the sack on the final play with a commanding lead One of the names I've been watching and very impressed with is Alameda Ta'amu NT - Washington - This guy is 6'3" 330 and absolutely clogs up huge holes against the run. You may look at his size and say he's more of a 34 NT but he also collapses the pocket nicely. He might not get to the QB but I've seen him push a C and G back 3 yrds causing the QB to get happy feet. Imagine a guy his size and strength right next to Wilfork in the middle. Now it's hard to place where he would fall. If he has a couple of really good games he could be a top 15 talent but right now I'm thinking somewhere between 20-40 range which would be perfect. What's a new DT/NT without a new rushing DE? For that don't forget about: Devin Taylor - DE S. Carolina 6'7" 250lb - This guy had a great Sophomore season but has been a disappointment so far this season. He has the talent to get to the QB but has taken a step backward as of late. This could be a good thing for us. Once thought of as a top 25 talent his stock is getting worse with ever game. My guess is if he remains inconsistent this year he'll either stay in school or be considered a late 2nd round pick. This guy is to talented imo not to grab if he's there in the late 2nd. Get him in the weight room and add 20 lbs and he'd be great off the edge, esp if Peppers can train him. These guys should fall to where we are and both are extremely talented to fit this system. As with the secondary I still think Robert Lester would look great in that FS coverage S position we need desperately (provided they don't move Bodden over). He hasn't been the ball hawk he normally has this season which is hurting his stock but he is still a great coverage S. And, of course me and MB's guy Janoris Jenkins CB has been dominant in his small school. For a 3rd round pick I would jump on him in a heartbeat. AS with the C position one person in the 4th is catching my eye, Ben Habern. He's a little on the smaller side at 291 but he's the perfect height for Brady to throw over at 6'2". If he can put on another 10lbs this guy is similar to Koppen in technique. He's a smart C who I've seen calling out the blitzes and might be one of the top 3 pass protectors in the draft. His run blocking is just average but when you can put Solder, Mankins, Cannon, Vollmer around him do you really need him to be the best run blocker? He's a C BB might grab with the 4th or if he trades back and gets a 5th
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

a ngata type would be grand.
    that's how i see it too:
    been lusting over lester (fs)
    dl/de that can pressure qb
    true wr
    and center

for highest needs

problem is our linebackers arent exaclty doing the job in space or against the run.
    so even after all the picks we use, we really do have a lot of positions that dont need upgrading.

does arrington really belong covering anybody, ever. tackle yes, pass rush, yes (though he forgot what to do when he got to sanchez yesterday).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Not the case anymore, obviously.  It looks like Luck could end up a COLT.  Ughh.  Or a Dolphin.  The Rams don't need a QB.  There is still a lot of season to be played but the thought of Andrew Lucky going to Indy or Miami is sending chills down my spine.  I don't want Denver to get the next Elway either.  I'm hoping he ends up in the NFC to a place like MIN but there are certainly more dogs in the AFC this year.

Indeed, I'd say NFC is the best case scenario.

Sections
Shortcuts