***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***

it sucks with henne getting hurt, he was looking better and i was hoping he would show enough for them to keep using him and not try to draft luck. a guy i am looking at for a lower round center would be Moe Petrus, C, Connecticut. i have to do more research on him as you guys know i am pretty good at picking OL talent (see veldeer, solder, cannon)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i am seeing a lot of exciting RBs, WRs, CBs and Ss

i am not seeing DTs or DEs i am getting excited about.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

We should sign Charles Godfrey or Michael Griffin at safety this offseason.

They are both the speed/ball-hawk cover types that would pair perfectly with Chung. Finally we'd have a pair of great safeties in their mid-20's.

Then that is one less draft pick to have to waste.

Our #1 picks (assuming he doesn't trade one or both) should be spent on pass rushers. Crick may bfall to the late 20's b/c of his muscle tear and there are several highly rated DE/OLB types that will be available in the 20's and we need one of them... someone to join Anderson/Carter on the outside and really get in the backfield.

One of 2nd rd picks can be used on a C (there will be 3 starter quality C's avaialb;e in this round) who can share time with Connelly next year in the way Light/Solder are splitting time now.

The other 2nd rd pick should be used on a reciever b/c Branch and Ocho are old. Everyone seems to love Broyles.

3rd/4th rd picks should be LB and CB depth IMO. I don' see us losing BJGE or anyone on the D/O-lines to make us need to waste picks on thise positions.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***:
    anyone heard of the baylor qb robert griffin iii? good looking prospect.
    Posted by ricky12684

yup...the guy's been having a pretty good season. his play has been shown on espn a few times already. 

pats won't draft a qb though with hoyer and mallett on the roster.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

with the huge number of DE's on our team who are FA i deciided to draft a few more in my first mock of the year, let me know what you guys think, it is very BB like.

1st round pick (new orleans)

Jared Crick, DE/DT, Nebraska
    Height: 6-6. Weight: 285.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.88.
    Projected Round (2012): Top 20.

10/10/11: After not playing against Wyoming, Crick had a poor showing against Wisconsin. He did not match up well with Wisconsin's big guards as they were able to run up the middle against him throughout the game. Crick also did not get much pass pressure on quarterback Russell Wilson. He had five tackles in the game and blocked an extra point.

Crick's best game of the year came when he had six tackles with a sack and was extremely disruptive against Washington. It was his first sack of the season, and he had other pressures on the quarterback.

In four games, Crick has collected 19 tackles, 2.5 tackles for a loss, one sack and one pass broken up. The game against Wisconsin is proof that he does not have the size to play the inside in the NFL. Crick really should be a 3-4 defensive end. If he is in a 4-3 defense, he should play defensive end on running downs and move inside to rush from defensive tackle on passing downs.

8/24/11: Jared Crick got noticed in 2009 when he had a strong season next to Ndamukong Suh. Crick recorded 9.5 sacks with 12.5 tackles for a loss with 73 tackles. In 2010, Crick started out slowly as he adjusted to life without Suh. As the season progressed, Crick picked up his play with seven sacks in the final eight games. For the season, he totaled 9.5 sacks with 14.5 tackles for a loss and 70 tackles. At the pro level, Crick looks like he could fit as a five technique defensive end in a 3-4 defense, or stay as a 4-3 defensive tackle.

1st round pick (ours)

Traded for a 2nd round pick, a 4th round pick, and a 6th round pick

2nd round pick (trade)

Michael Brewster, C, Ohio State
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 293.
    Projected 40 Time: 5.08.
    Projected Round (2012): 1-2

9/10/11: Brewster had a strong start to the season as Ohio State rolled Akron. The Buckeyes ran for 224 yards and won 42-0. Brewster will see a strong test from Marcus Forston and Miami in the third game of the season.

8/20/11: Mike Brewster enters his senior year as the top center in the nation. He started as a freshman and has been a standout for the Buckeyes ever since. Brewster will be challenged with the turmoil at Ohio State. He will have to quickly get in tune with a new quarterback to take his snaps, and offensive tackle Mike Adams will be suspended for the first five games. Thus, some new challenges are in store for Brewster, but nothing that should hurt his draft stock. Brewster is an excellent run blocker and pass protector. He looks like the next center that is likely to crack the top 25.

2nd round pick (oakland)

Traded for a 1st next season

2nd round pick

Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama
    Height: 5-10. Weight: 188.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.45.
    Projected Round (2011): 2-3.

9/27/11: Jenkins has returned nine punts for 163 yards (18.1 average) with a touchdown return and a long return of 87 yards. He does not have an interception, but has returned a fumble 49 yards for a touchdown. Jenkins has 27 tackles with three passes broken up. His draft stock is dependent on him staying out of legal trouble and interviewing well with teams in the months prior to the draft.

8/25/11: Janoris Jenkins does not have great size, but he has a top-15 skill set as a cover corner. The only reason why he's ranked here is because of a few arrests for smoking pot that got him kicked out of Florida. If Jenkins had stayed out of trouble, he easily would have been a high first-round pick. He was a starter as a true freshman in 2008 when the Gators won the National Championship. Jenkins recorded three interceptions in 2010 to go along with 44 tackles and eight passes defensed. He is fast with great feet and athleticism. Jenkins can flip his hips and run with speed receivers. Even though under six-foot, he had success going against the best big receivers he saw in the SEC.

Jenkins held South Carolina's Alshon Jeffrey to six receptions for 53 yards and no scores last season, after Jeffrey notched six catches for 57 yards in their first battle. Georgia's A.J. Green had four catches for 42 yards and a score in last year's game. In three years of playing Jenkins, Green never had a 100-yard game.

3rd round pick

(trade back into later in the round and pick up a 7th round pick)

Kenny Tate, SS, Maryland
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 220.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.64.
    Projected Round (2012): 3-4.

10/1/11: Tate started out the season well with 11 tackles and an interception against Miami. He has totaled 26 tackles with a forced fumble, interception, and tackle for a loss this season. It could be a tough decision whether to have Tate gain weight and stay at linebacker, or drop weight to go back to safety.

8/26/11: Kenny Tate would probably be best used as a safety at the NFL level, even though he is going to play linebacker for Maryland this season. Last year, he had 100 tackles with 8.5 tackles for a loss, three interceptions and four forced fumbles. Tate is a safety/linebacker tweener who should probably trim down and play safety as a pro. Bigger safeties are no longer prominent in the NFL.

Gives BB his safety LB hybrid

4th round pick (from trade)

Devon Still, DE/DT, Penn State
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 311.
    Projected 40 Time: 5.03.

10/10/11: Still played Alabama tough early this season. In five games this year, he has a total of 24 tackles with 7.5 tackles for a loss and one sack. If Still adds some more weight, he could possibly fit as a 3-4 nose tackle.

8/24/11: Devon Still had a strong 2010 season with 10 tackles for a loss and four sacks. He saw frequent double teams, and still was a difference maker for Penn State. As a sophomore, he had 5.5 tackles for a loss and two sacks. He has scheme flexibility and could fit a 3-4 defense as a defensive end, or he could stay in a 4-3 defense as a nose tackle.

4th round pick (ours)

Jake Bequette, DE, Arkansas
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 271.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.80.

9/23/11: Bequette started the season with three tackles and got two .5 sacks against Missouri State. He injured his hamstring and missed the third game against Troy. Bequette's return is unknown.

8/21/11: In 2010, Jake Bequette had seven sacks with 32 tackles and 8.5 tackles for a loss. Bequette enters his senior year with 13.5 sacks over 32 starts. He has already finished his bachelor's degree and is getting a master's. Bequette's intelligence and character will appeal to teams during the interview process. If Bequette adds weight, he could be a five technique in a 3-4, otherwise he looks like a left end in a 4-3 defense.

6th round (from trade)

Ladarius Green, TE, Louisiana-Lafayette
    Height: 6-6. Weight: 230.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.70.
    Projected Round (2012): 5-6.

10/14/11: In the first three games of the season, Green had one catch for minus-one yard. In the last three games, he has been much more productive, and for the season, he has 12 receptions for 146 yards and a touchdown.

8/19/11: Ladarius Green is a dangerous receiver who presents mismatches to exploit a defense. Last year, he caught 44 passes for 794 yards and seven touchdowns. As a sophomore, Green had 32 catches for 533 yards, while missing three games with a neck injury. The issue for him is the same as with Charles, he needs to add muscle to be a better run-blocker at the NFL level. Otherwise, it will be hard for him to be an every down tight end. Green has the height and frame where he should be able to add 10-15 pounds of muscle for the next level.

7th round pick (from trade down)

Derek Moye, WR, Penn State
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 198.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.53.
    Projected Round (2012): 6-FA.

9/14/11: Moye was fairly quiet against Alabama and their NFL-laden secondary. He caught three passes for 51 yards. For the season, he has seven receptions for 108 yards.

8/19/11: Derek Moye is huge receiver who has led Penn State in receiving the past two years. Last year, he caught 53 balls for 885 yards and eight scores. A year earlier, he had 48 receptions for 785 yards and six touchdowns. Moye finished the year with a quality game against Florida, but Moye has only three 100 yard games over the past two seasons.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

hey nate, only have a sec.
      but try to give  a brief thought till later.
    if we dont find out that price is the receiver we need outside the #'s and we dont target a receiver already in the nfl for next season, i'm moving up wr (outside the #s guy) to near top of our draft needs (tough cause it's one position bb and the draft team cannot seem to pick). agree about need at dl, but also see need for upgrade at lb. at safety i see the higher need at fs not strong safety. and cb not as high a need, but they are always helpful. this is in flux as we/i see how players are doing to fill these positions. ive posted draft needs i see a month or so ago. center is included, but with all the other needs, i think it might be better to draft a center in mid rounds than high for the most polished one. good to read your thoughts as usual.

peace

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I hope we go after a couple tall WRs in the Calvin Johnson mold. And some tall CBs

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Posted by natesubs
    hey nate, only have a sec.   but try to give  a brief thought till later. if we dont find out that price is the receiver we need outside the #'s and we dont target a receiver already in the nfl for next season, i'm moving up wr (outside the #s guy) to near top of our draft needs (tough cause it's one position bb and the draft team cannot seem to pick). agree about need at dl, but also see need for upgrade at lb. at safety i see the higher need at fs not strong safety. and cb not as high a need, but they are always helpful. this is in flux as we/i see how players are doing to fill these positions. ive posted draft needs i see a month or so ago. center is included, but with all the other needs, i think it might be better to draft a center in mid rounds than high for the most polished one. good to read your thoughts as usual. peace
    Posted by bredbru

i really did think about taking a WR high in this years draft, but blackmon will be gone and we still have the #1 passing offense and with the poliferation of the huge nose tackles throughout the league we need a large tough center to deal with them. plus koppen being in the last year of his deal we need a center with the potential to start right away not a 2 year prospect.  brewster meets this mold. plus BB's record on drafting WR's is pretty poor early in the draft.  I was expecting him to do the usual route and simply pick one up in the FA or through a trade.  (moss/welker) we are fairly deep at the WR position which is why i chose to select a 6'5" developmental WR in the 7th round.  I agree with your assessment of our need at LB and FS, which is why i selected kenny tate because he is the hybrid LB/S position bb has wanted. I believe that BB will move bodden to FS, chung at SS and have dowling/mcCourty as the CB's with jenoris jenkins in the slot.  thanks for the imput. I am going to try to find a good FS to work into the draft as well.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

We should sign Charles Godfrey or Michael Griffin at safety this offseason. They are both the speed/ball-hawk cover types that would pair perfectly with Chung. Finally we'd have a pair of great safeties in their mid-20's. Then that is one less draft pick to have to waste. Our #1 picks (assuming he doesn't trade one or both) should be spent on pass rushers. Crick may bfall to the late 20's b/c of his muscle tear and there are several highly rated DE/OLB types that will be available in the 20's and we need one of them... someone to join Anderson/Carter on the outside and really get in the backfield. One of 2nd rd picks can be used on a C (there will be 3 starter quality C's avaialb;e in this round) who can share time with Connelly next year in the way Light/Solder are splitting time now. The other 2nd rd pick should be used on a reciever b/c Branch and Ocho are old. Everyone seems to love Broyles. 3rd/4th rd picks should be LB and CB depth IMO. I don' see us losing BJGE or anyone on the D/O-lines to make us need to waste picks on thise positions.
    Posted by rameakap

i will have to look into these guys, thanks for the tip could be nice to have an experienced FS.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

calvin johnson is '6-5 who runs a 4.35. those guys will be picked in early rounds. you have to pick between height and speed.

i don't really care about the height too much. the height is more important in the red zone. i think the TEs are fine for that. 

i am more interested in someone who can actually stretch the field for welk, and the TEs starting from their own territory. someone who is at least 6'1" with the toughness and play-making ability of steve smith (also 4.35 i think) would be my preference. we're talking about someone with with sub-4.45 40 but has the versatility to play the shorter passes. if the pats can pick someone in the 3rd or 4th, that would be perfect.

no response on my mock draft by mbeaulieu07? patseng? laz?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

lol sorry Nate, been rough at work haven't had time to fully analysis a response.

Overall I do like the premise of draftng a number of DE's. I do think Haynesworth might be back because the numbers don't get bad until after next year I'm not confident Ellis, Carter, or Anderson will be back. With Ellis and Carter it's just aging they might not be back but with Anderson his one role is sacks in this defense. Carter provides the pressure and Anderson was suppose to get the sacks. He has 3 sacks on the last plays of games this year and other then that he hasn't gotten to the QB so I don't see him back if they can find a better option. On that note I agree going heavy DE this draft is smart and starting with Crick is a great way to start.

With Brewster, he's the type of C I want but BB doesn't grab C's early or often. I fully expect BB to try to grab a C in the later rounds and have Connolly handle the C position for one more year. With BB it seems that he likes raw high upside C's that they can mold into what they want not ones that have already developed into their role. Expect to see a C with good-great passing blocking ability but not necessarily great run blocking (with the G's and T's we have we can afford to have a QB type of C)

Jenkins would make me and MB very happy. Having a CB core of Ras, Jenkins, and DMC could be great then move Bodden over the S with Chung and you might be forming something special.

Tate is a big S small LB much like Brown, Barrett, and Ihdigbo. IMO or SS position is fine what we need is a coverage FS unless you plan on moving Ras to the FS position (ala Meri) and having Jenkins replace him

the rest of your picks seem pretty solid. I do have to wonder on Green though. Do we need another receiving TE or do we try to find another blocking TE. With Gronk and Hern being the main TE's most of the time the 3rd TE might only find a role as an extra blocker. I might look for a TE that was converted to a T late in their college careers or maybe wait to see how the other Gronk performs. D Gronk seems to blocking better since coming back for injury and might be fine as a 3rd TE for blocking purposes.

I wonder why grab a WR so late. With Ocho struggling and Branch getting older it seems Welker might be the only option (if they don't resign him they will tag him). Is there someone in FA you think they'd target?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

I think this draft is weak where the Pats need to get a lot better at....S.
    A couple of guys (late 2nd to mid 4th) that might take a good look at is Robert Lester (LSU) Late 2nd/early 3rd and Winston Guy (Kentucky) for mid/late 3rd to mid 4th.  It stinks that these S's may go about 20 picks higher than they should because of the "thinness" of this position.

OK my first mock of the season.

I don't plan on trades this far from the draft so here it is without any trades. Not the position of the picks is what they would be if the season ended today:

#24 (Saints pick) - Alameda Ta'amu NT: This guy is massive at 6'3" 330lbs he would anchor the line next to Wilfork. With Haynesworth still uncertain past this year yet alone next and Love being good but not great there is a chance to upgrade the interior rush. As we've seen when the pocket collapse from within the G's we get pressure on the QB resulting in happy feet by QB's and sacks. Ta'amu has taken on double and triple teams this year and still managed to collapse the pocket from within. Though the double teams being pushed back is impressive you should see his real specialty the running game. Last time I saw talent like his clogging gaps and making 1 arm tackles was when Wilfork was in college.
    - Alt pick: Jared Crick

#30 - Robert Lester FS: He's a ball hawk coverage FS that last year posted 8 ints along with an impressive amount of pass def's. This year he hasn't lived up to his stats last year but one big reason is because QB's aren't throwing his way. For me it's unheard of that a QB wouldn't throw a direction based on the S in coverage. Lester would go a long way next to Chung and should improve the secondary drastically
    - Alt pick: Ryan Broyles WR

#54 - Vinny Curry DE: One of the most productive pass rushers last year (12 sacks) so far he's held steady with solid plays this year. Even though his numbers have taken a hit from last year it's because of the extra attention paid to him this year. He's gained 10lbs this year and could gain another 10 in the NFL putting him just above 270 perfect for a rushing DE. He has sub 4.7 speed but can also bull rush and has developed a couple of moves that just need to develop a bit further. But, with 2 titans in the middle O's can't afford to keep extra men on Curry which should set him free to terrorize the backfield.
    - Alt pick: Devin Taylor DE/LB

#62 - Janoris Jenkins CB: Our secondary still needs work and Jenkins is a top 15 talent who was forced into a AA school because of pot incidents. This is the A typical pick BB makes. One of which he can't turn down considering how a young core of Ras, DMC, Jenkins, Chung, and Lester would look in the backfield.
    - Alt pick: Chase Minnfield CB

#93 - Chris Owusu WR: I know, I know another WR in the 3rd and one that had a knee injury to boot. But, that is why BB will take him. At 6'2" he has the height to out jump CB's and with 4.45 speed he can make down the field quick. He is someone that could have made the 1st round with the exception of 2 big things. First being the knee injury. A WR that had a knee injury is a risky prospect esp with the number of WR's in this draft. Second being that his QB is Luck. That brings up the question was it Luck or Owusu? Most would say Luck. But, given we have Brady and if Owusu's knee is fine I expect him to be a extremely productive down field threat. Not a Moss type but something above Patton
    - Alt pick: Ronnell Lewis OLB

#125 - Ben Harben C: Harben might be a little small but so was Koppen. Harben could be one of the best pass blocking C in the draft but his main asset is being the QB of the OU line. He is very smart and can pick out the blitz setting up the blocking schemes. He has the talent to be molded into a Koppen type of player
    - Alt pick: Cam Johnson DE

lol sorry Nate, been rough at work haven't had time to fully analysis a response. Overall I do like the premise of draftng a number of DE's. I do think Haynesworth might be back because the numbers don't get bad until after next year I'm not confident Ellis, Carter, or Anderson will be back. With Ellis and Carter it's just aging they might not be back but with Anderson his one role is sacks in this defense. Carter provides the pressure and Anderson was suppose to get the sacks. He has 3 sacks on the last plays of games this year and other then that he hasn't gotten to the QB so I don't see him back if they can find a better option. On that note I agree going heavy DE this draft is smart and starting with Crick is a great way to start. With Brewster, he's the type of C I want but BB doesn't grab C's early or often. I fully expect BB to try to grab a C in the later rounds and have Connolly handle the C position for one more year. With BB it seems that he likes raw high upside C's that they can mold into what they want not ones that have already developed into their role. Expect to see a C with good-great passing blocking ability but not necessarily great run blocking (with the G's and T's we have we can afford to have a QB type of C) Jenkins would make me and MB very happy. Having a CB core of Ras, Jenkins, and DMC could be great then move Bodden over the S with Chung and you might be forming something special. Tate is a big S small LB much like Brown, Barrett, and Ihdigbo. IMO or SS position is fine what we need is a coverage FS unless you plan on moving Ras to the FS position (ala Meri) and having Jenkins replace him the rest of your picks seem pretty solid. I do have to wonder on Green though. Do we need another receiving TE or do we try to find another blocking TE. With Gronk and Hern being the main TE's most of the time the 3rd TE might only find a role as an extra blocker. I might look for a TE that was converted to a T late in their college careers or maybe wait to see how the other Gronk performs. D Gronk seems to blocking better since coming back for injury and might be fine as a 3rd TE for blocking purposes. I wonder why grab a WR so late. With Ocho struggling and Branch getting older it seems Welker might be the only option (if they don't resign him they will tag him). Is there someone in FA you think they'd target?
    Posted by PatsEng

the reason i selected green was because when hernandez is out due to injury, which is sadly pretty often this year our offs=ense misses a beat, with another pass cathing threat TE with some size to him we keep the mismatch that we would have with hernandez.  i chose WR so late due to BB's history of selecting WR's in the draft. i figure he will trade for someone or pick someone up in FA.  we are currently stacked at WR and the jury is still out on ocho/price/endelman. right now it is not a priority. thanks for the feed back

patseng, i was looking at Alameda Ta'amu NT as well he is a stud who i think will see his value rise sadly out of our pick range. but if he were to fall to us similar to wilfork i would not hesitate to pick him up.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

sorry guys...i don't know what you guys see in ta'amu. i saw him for 2 Qs against colorado and 3 Qs this week against Stanford. he is big but his legs are not strong. against stanford yesterday, he was consistently blocked one on one. there was no double team most of the time and he was finding himself sitting on his behind. he did better vs colorado (!) but not by much. no earlier than mid-5th i guess.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

I think this draft is weak where the Pats need to get a lot better at....S. A couple of guys (late 2nd to mid 4th) that might take a good look at is Robert Lester (LSU) Late 2nd/early 3rd and Winston Guy (Kentucky) for mid/late 3rd to mid 4th.  It stinks that these S's may go about 20 picks higher than they should because of the "thinness" of this position.
    Posted by gln826

lester was the guy i posted here and was thinking about.

OK my first mock of the season. I don't plan on trades this far from the draft so here it is without any trades. Not the position of the picks is what they would be if the season ended today: #24 (Saints pick) - Alameda Ta'amu NT : This guy is massive at 6'3" 330lbs he would anchor the line next to Wilfork. With Haynesworth still uncertain past this year yet alone next and Love being good but not great there is a chance to upgrade the interior rush. As we've seen when the pocket collapse from within the G's we get pressure on the QB resulting in happy feet by QB's and sacks. Ta'amu has taken on double and triple teams this year and still managed to collapse the pocket from within. Though the double teams being pushed back is impressive you should see his real specialty the running game. Last time I saw talent like his clogging gaps and making 1 arm tackles was when Wilfork was in college. - Alt pick: Jared Crick #30 - Robert Lester FS: He's a ball hawk coverage FS that last year posted 8 ints along with an impressive amount of pass def's. This year he hasn't lived up to his stats last year but one big reason is because QB's aren't throwing his way. For me it's unheard of that a QB wouldn't throw a direction based on the S in coverage. Lester would go a long way next to Chung and should improve the secondary drastically - Alt pick: Ryan Broyles WR #54 - Vinny Curry DE: One of the most productive pass rushers last year (12 sacks) so far he's held steady with solid plays this year. Even though his numbers have taken a hit from last year it's because of the extra attention paid to him this year. He's gained 10lbs this year and could gain another 10 in the NFL putting him just above 270 perfect for a rushing DE. He has sub 4.7 speed but can also bull rush and has developed a couple of moves that just need to develop a bit further. But, with 2 titans in the middle O's can't afford to keep extra men on Curry which should set him free to terrorize the backfield. - Alt pick: Devin Taylor DE/LB #62 - Janoris Jenkins CB: Our secondary still needs work and Jenkins is a top 15 talent who was forced into a AA school because of pot incidents. This is the A typical pick BB makes. One of which he can't turn down considering how a young core of Ras, DMC, Jenkins, Chung, and Lester would look in the backfield. - Alt pick: Chase Minnfield CB #93 - Chris Owusu WR: I know, I know another WR in the 3rd and one that had a knee injury to boot. But, that is why BB will take him. At 6'2" he has the height to out jump CB's and with 4.45 speed he can make down the field quick. He is someone that could have made the 1st round with the exception of 2 big things. First being the knee injury. A WR that had a knee injury is a risky prospect esp with the number of WR's in this draft. Second being that his QB is Luck. That brings up the question was it Luck or Owusu? Most would say Luck. But, given we have Brady and if Owusu's knee is fine I expect him to be a extremely productive down field threat. Not a Moss type but something above Patton - Alt pick: Ronnell Lewis OLB #125 - Ben Harben C: Harben might be a little small but so was Koppen. Harben could be one of the best pass blocking C in the draft but his main asset is being the QB of the OU line. He is very smart and can pick out the blitz setting up the blocking schemes. He has the talent to be molded into a Koppen type of player - Alt pick: Cam Johnson DE
    Posted by PatsEng

agaiin dont have the time this deserves. this is closer to what i see in needs, but what of lb? are we going to grab someone already up in the nfl in the offseason?

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : the reason i selected green was because when hernandez is out due to injury, which is sadly pretty often this year our offs=ense misses a beat, with another pass cathing threat TE with some size to him we keep the mismatch that we would have with hernandez.  i chose WR so late due to BB's history of selecting WR's in the draft. i figure he will trade for someone or pick someone up in FA.  we are currently stacked at WR and the jury is still out on ocho/price/endelman. right now it is not a priority. thanks for the feed back
    Posted by natesubs

i see your rationale. but if d gronk doenst work we can jsut as easily pick someone else released. disagree completely about being stacked at wr. hopefull we can pick someone up or draft someone otherwise we will be chllenged at times without a wr threat outside the #'s.

the being stacked at WR comment refers to if you think price and ocho will work out or not. i think so so therefore we are set.

nate,
     so you like them both to become legitimate.
    that of course would be ideal.
    seems to me ocho  lost his brain and may not find it. if he doesnt he will be an embarrassment to himself.

i dont assume either one of them will workout till i see it/the potential on the filed.

price flashed in preseason. id be playing him not ocho for the most part.
    he couldnt not perform in a worse fashion than ocho.

z and all.
    did you watch wisconson and oaklahoma go down.
    i was loving it (as an sec fan).
    damn michigan state tried hard for most of the second half to give that game away.
    id like to see the 2 best teams in the nc game and right now thats lsu/bama.

who you got nov 5th z ? :)
    i'm rooting for lsu
    but have no problem rooting for the winner thereafter for the season/national championship.

if oregon beats stanford and ok st loses which i expect, and clemson loses, there will be a lot of pressure to have boise in there against lsu - alabama winner.

clemson may have the best shot to make the other slot in the title game. they only have to beat south carolina. and win the other 2 games.

honestly between clemson and boise id rather see boise.
    let them take thoir lumps like theyve been clamoring for forever even though they play no one all year till bowl season. i think lsu would cream them. prob alabama would too.

out
    peace

tyrann mathiew is in the heisman race.

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : agaiin dont have the time this deserves. this is closer to what i see in needs, but what of lb? are we going to grab someone already up in the nfl in the offseason?
    Posted by brdbreu

The reason I didn't go LB is a couple of reasons.

First being that the rush starts from the line and ripples out from there. Without a great front 3/4 LB's won't be effective. With Carter, Ellis, Anderson, Haynesworth still unknown for up and coming years that leaves Cunningham, Love, Wilfork, Deadrick, and Brace for right now. Wilfork is the only starter I see and even though Love looks decent against the run I don't think he can collapse the pocket from within the G's. Brace and Deadrick I don't see as anything more the backups at this point but that could change.

Second is BB himself. He just doesn't draft OLB's. Last one he drafted was Cunningham and he has taken a Butler esc turn in his second season. I don't see BB going OLB again this draft because I don't think he trusts himself to draft one.

Third with current personal you have Spikes as your starting ILB, Fletcher as backup ILB, Guyton as a OLB/ILB, Mayo as a OLB/ILB. With Spikes and Mayo starting that leaves 1 spot open to fill. You have Tarp as a young guy with promise and Nin. I just see BB looking at that and deciding he needs rush from the line and his LB core looks pretty good.

I see heavy DL and DB's this year with another WR tossed in and maybe a C in the mid rounds or as a UDFA but mainly heavy D on this one

• Sections
    Shortcuts