2012 Secondary...2013 Upgrades. Plenty of Optimism to be found

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

2012 Secondary...2013 Upgrades. Plenty of Optimism to be found

I've been reading a lot about the secondary through multiple threads, and I wanted to share some thoughts.

2012:

Thi unit was a mess from Day 1. McCourty was not great at CB, good and ok at S. Gregory was playing ok, hurt, playing bad...T Wilson was a rookie who looked lost at times. Arrington was decent in the slot. Talib was good when he got here, but dealt with nagging injuries, and missed most of the playoff loss. Just a total mess. To top it all off, they had 0 veteran leadership. Who was it? McCourty? Arrington? Nobody. BUT, I still think some of the pieces were there. For a short, 3-4 game stretch, we saw the D with Talib at CB, and McCourty at Safety, and Dennard playing...and it looked pretty good.

Now to 2013:

Day 1: McCourty will be at FS. Talib will be at CB, Dennard will be at CB. A Wilson is likely going to be on the field at SS to provide the Veteran leadership they were so severely lacking.

T Wilson and Gregory will have had a whole offseason to prepare, and should either look better, which would be nothing but good for the team...or will probably be gone. One or both.

Arrington should be fine in his slot, as long as he isn't one of these guys that gets a little money and tanks.

Add in a pair of Rutgers, who at least know each other well and have some familiarity with McCourty...

Suddenly you (seemingly) have a much more cohesive unit that showed, during their brief time together, that they CAN play well.

There was a decent foundation to build on, and it looks like they added a little structure on top of it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: 2012 Secondary...2013 Upgrades. Plenty of Optimism to be found

exciting! I think we'll be much better all over on D this year!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Until,Talib gets injured and it all goes to hell. This secondary will need help from the pass rush to create more pressure on the QB. I like the additions from the draft and Talib at CB with McCourty at safety is great, but we still got beat over the top a lot. We still suck at 3rd and long. I hope Jones and Hightower can setup more pressure this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Nice OP - you left out RasI (which might be wise, but maybe this year he catches a break and doesn't break anything!)

I agree with the look forward - it is a young unit that should improve with experience and stability.

I also think the biggest difference during that 4 game stretch was not really the quality of DB play, but the change to a more aggressive defensive game plan. The Pats started attacking more from the front seven and playing more aggressive man and tighter zone. I had the impression we were still getting beat at about the same rate long, but the underneath stuff had tighter windows and the QBs were getting more heat.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Yes. It is PROMISING. No sure thing but they look like they really could emerge.

PLUS + the two new DTs have a fair chance of helping us with inside pass rush. Now that does not translate into tons of sacks but should help up the pressures which is usually more the key. And we have Jones and Bequette both having a year under their belt. Same for Hightower.

The D was improving last year. This year they should be better than last year's best efforts whoch were really decent.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kylerocks. Show kylerocks's posts

I'm really looking forward to seeing this D with the new pieces being integrated.  I like a lot of the parts that they grabbed last season and now in 2013.  Jones and Hightower with a year in should really start to play fast, smart and aggressive, along with the Wilson brother in the secondary who are always aggressive, usually smart and fast enough.  Drop in the rooks from Rutgers to provide stable depth and development behind them with a very good pro to tutor them in McCourty and it has me excited for 2013 and beyond.  

That's doesn't even include the Kingslayer Jamie Collins who has the measureables and hopefully the intangibles to be a double digit sack guy and a coverage linebacker, allowing Spikes and Mayo to just dO what they do, Jones, Fork and the rest to dominate the LOS and allows BB to be even more aggressive from the start of the season.  This D will score and blow people up, although they will continue to give up lots of yards because that what Bill's defenses do.  The other thing they used to do was come up with Big plays when NE needed them the most And I believe this group has the chance to replicate that type of high pressure dominance.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to kylerocks' comment:

I'm really looking forward to seeing this D with the new pieces being integrated.  I like a lot of the parts that they grabbed last season and now in 2013.  Jones and Hightower with a year in should really start to play fast, smart and aggressive, along with the Wilson brother in the secondary who are always aggressive, usually smart and fast enough.  Drop in the rooks from Rutgers to provide stable depth and development behind them with a very good pro to tutor them in McCourty and it has me excited for 2013 and beyond.  

That's doesn't even include the Kingslayer Jamie Collins who has the measureables and hopefully the intangibles to be a double digit sack guy and a coverage linebacker, allowing Spikes and Mayo to just dO what they do, Jones, Fork and the rest to dominate the LOS and allows BB to be even more aggressive from the start of the season.  This D will score and blow people up, although they will continue to give up lots of yards because that what Bill's defenses do.  The other thing they used to do was come up with Big plays when NE needed them the most And I believe this group has the chance to replicate that type of high pressure dominance.

Good job living up to the name! Assuming YOU are, in fact, Kyle.

There is definitely a lot to like about this D and look forward too. I'd started to become numb to getting excited about a young D getting experience...Pats fans have been saying this since about 2008...but this season, I see real reason for hope. They have a lot of good, young, ENTRENCHED players who SHOULD get better at this point in their careers:

Jones

Spikes

Hightower

McCourty

T Wilson

Dennard

I don't really expect Mayo or Wilfork to get BETTER at this point, but I'd be surprised if they took even a small step back.

Bequette and Cunningham are true wild cards. Any meaningfull production will be a huge boost to the D. And, yes, I DID say that last year about Cunningham as well...and he WAS providing a boost...then those dang narcs at the league office went and spiked his water with ADHD meds. Such an injustice and railroading!

Without any major injuries, I see this group as AT LEAST solid. They will win maybe a game or two, but are not likely to cost any. With a team as young as this one, with as many returning players as they have, and the time I expect to see many of these guys in NE...that's a LOT to look forward to for me!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to freediro's comment:

Until,Talib gets injured and it all goes to hell. This secondary will need help from the pass rush to create more pressure on the QB. I like the additions from the draft and Talib at CB with McCourty at safety is great, but we still got beat over the top a lot. We still suck at 3rd and long. I hope Jones and Hightower can setup more pressure this year.

Agree, but we also got jamie Collins, jones will be healthy and another year in the system, and I think our pash rush will be improved. 

If Talib goes down we have options now...we could inset logan Ryan, or mccourty or dowling if healthy and have Wilson, Wilson and Gregory at safety. Not optimal, but it could work. Our secondary depth this year is better than it has been for quite some time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

In response to kylerocks' comment:

Good job living up to the name! Assuming YOU are, in fact, Kyle.

There is definitely a lot to like about this D and look forward too. I'd started to become numb to getting excited about a young D getting experience...Pats fans have been saying this since about 2008...but this season, I see real reason for hope. They have a lot of good, young, ENTRENCHED players who SHOULD get better at this point in their careers:

Jones

Spikes

Hightower

McCourty

T Wilson

Dennard

I don't really expect Mayo or Wilfork to get BETTER at this point, but I'd be surprised if they took even a small step back.

Bequette and Cunningham are true wild cards. Any meaningfull production will be a huge boost to the D. And, yes, I DID say that last year about Cunningham as well...and he WAS providing a boost...then those dang narcs at the league office went and spiked his water with ADHD meds. Such an injustice and railroading!

Without any major injuries, I see this group as AT LEAST solid. They will win maybe a game or two, but are not likely to cost any. With a team as young as this one, with as many returning players as they have, and the time I expect to see many of these guys in NE...that's a LOT to look forward to for me!

Agree. I am actually more worried about the offense at this point. Brady has to acclimate a lot of new weapons. given the complexity of the timing offense, this to me is something to watch early on...see who is clicking with Brady and who gets it. Not to mention the health of Gronk and Hern. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I like when they put big Vince at DE. Let him push the whole side in. Make the O choose who they have to double team

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

I am very excited to finally having a hard hitting safety in the mold of harrison in Adrian Wilson.  Plus we have a coverage LB who can cover TE's in Jamie Collins.  The depth at CB is pretty good too with Talib, dennard, and arrington as the starters with hopefully a healthy dowling, logan ryan, and cole as backups.  That gives us solid depth and a good set of starters.  I think our DB core is going to be a strength this year.  Our defense appeared to be pulling it together last season when Jones and talib were both healthy, maybe with these added playmakers they will finally be able to be a team strength.  now if we can just sign abraham  to really get the passrush going. having kelly and vince in the middle with jones at DE looks pretty good with solid depth behind them.