2013 NFL MOCK DRAFT

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

2013 NFL MOCK DRAFT

The great majority of free agency signings have been made...and the 2013 NFL Draft is now just three weeks away. So, perhaps now we can start to have an intelligent and informed discussion, rather than mindless speculation...as to what prospects will be selected, and by whom. As you regulars here know, every year I do a mock draft. I do it not so much to try to predict who goes where...but to ascertain who will be available for the Patriots with their late first round pick. Here goes:  

1.) KANSAS CITY CHIEFS: It really doesn't matter how good a teams' QB is, if he is not surrounded by at least a decent OL. The Chiefs have acquired Alex Smith. Now, it's time to find his body guards. Last years' starting LT, Brandon Albert, wants a ton of money. He'll likely play in KC for one more season...or will be traded. PICK: OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M;

2.) JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS: The Jags' pass rush last year was particularly pathetic. For the season, the Jags' "D" netted just 20 sacks. In the past, the Jags have tried and failed to fix this problem by spending high picks on the likes of Derrick Harvey and Quinton Groves. the Jags also have major problems in their secondary. Query: Should they risk rolling dice on another potentially great edge rusher, like a Dion Jordan, with the second overall pick...when there's a safe, solid pick like CB Dee Milliner available? Milliner is by far the best CB available in this class. Jordan has drawn comparisons to the 49ers' Aldon Smith. My choice likely would be Milliner. But, they'll choose: PICK: DE/OLB Dion Jordan, Oregon;

3.) OAKLAND RAIDERS: Defensive linemen Richard Seymour, Tommy Kelly, and Desmond Bryant are gone. Even the late, great Uncle Al could figure out what needs to be done with the third overall pick: PICK: DT Sharrif Floyd, Florida;

4.) PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: Yes...the Eagles are really going with Michael Vick for yet another season. Vick is giving Patriots' CB Ras-I Dowling a run for his money as the most brittle player in the NFL. Getting Vick a top body guard is a must: PICK: OT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan;

5.) DETROIT LIONS: Their starting LT, Jeff Backus, has retired. Starting RT, Gosder Cherilus, has moved on through free agency. Like Michael Vick, Lions' QB Matthew Stafford has been getting murdered. So...even though the top two OTs available are gone, it appears to be the Lions' greatest position of need. Thus, taking OT Lane Johnson seems to make a lot of sense. Unless Stafford gets' better protected, he won't last another two years in the league. But, the Lions also lost DE Cliff Avril through free agency...and their other starting DE, the ancient veteran, Kyle Vanden Bosch, has been released: PICK: DE Ezekial Ansah, BYU;

6.) CLEVELAND BROWNS: Defensive coordinator Ray Horton has moved on from the Arizona Cardinals, to the Browns. Though Horton ran a 3-4 "D" in Arizona, Cleveland played a 4-3 last season. Whether Horton goes 4-3 or 3-4, he prefers an aggressive style of defense. a good edge pass-rusher, such as Jarvis Jones, would seem to make a lot of sense. But, CB Dee Milliner is still available, and a safer pick. He, in conjunction with former #1 draft choice, CB Joe Hayden, would make a formidable set of corners: PICK: CB Dee Milliner, Alabama;

7.) ARIZONA CARDINALS: Now that the Cards have signed on the statue that is Carson Palmer as their QB, it's imperative that something be done to improve their leaky OL. Though OT Lane Johnson is available, DT/DE Star Lotulelei has a chance to develop into a beast. He and Calais Campbell would make quite a pair of 3-4 DEs: PICK: DE/DT Star Lotulelei, Utah;

8.) BUFFALO BILLS: The signing of QB Kevin Kolb surely sent shivers through the bones of BB, and tingled the Buffalo faithful. Nonetheless, there simply doesn't appear to be a QB worth taking with the 8th overall pick. So...this pick likely comes down to either a WR, or a pass-rushing OLB. I like OLB Jarvis Jones. But, the Bills will foolishly prefer taking a WR: PICK: WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee;

9.) N.Y. JETS: The Green Goblins have more holes than a sweater left for 5 years in a moth infested closet. Rex Ryan will searxch for that every elusive impact edge pass-rusher: PICK: OLB Jarvis Jones, Georgia;

10.) TENNESSEE TITANS: The Titans continue to fantasize that they actually have a franchise QB in Jake Locker...LOL!! They had better find a way to beef up their OL...and get that running game going: PICK: OG Chance Warmack, Alabama;  

11.) SAN DIEGO CHARGERS: Philip Rivers has drastically regressed as a QB. Rivers has lost his top weapons...Vincent Jackson, Darren Sproles, and Ladainian Tomlinson. Star TE Antonio Gates is in decline. He also plays behing a horrid OL: PICK: OT Lane Johnson, Oklahoma;

12.) MIAMI DOLPHINS: Despite the big splashes made through free agency, problems persist at DE, OL, and in the Dolphins' secondary. PICK: CB Xavier Rhodes, Florida State;

13.) TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS: Now that the San Francisco 49ers have signed free agent CB Nmandi Asomugha, it appears unlikely that they will ante up, and get involved in a bidding war with the Bucs over Jets' CB Darrelle Revis. Still, The Bucs badly need help at CB...so their interest in Revis will remain high. My guess is that the Bucs will trade their second round pick this year, and a conditional second rounder next year, to land Revis. Acquiring Revis frees the Bucs to address other needs, at WR, and DT. PICK: WR Tavon Austin, West Virginia;

14.) CAROLINA PANTHERS: Pity QB Cam Newton. He's a great talent. But, he has no weapons to work with. His best option, WR Steve Smith, is 34 years old. To make matters worse, his OL is average at best. But, on the defensive side of the ball, the Panthers are marshmellowy soft in the middle: PICK: DT Sheldon Richardson, Missouri;

15.) NEW ORLEANS SAINTS: Though the Saints OL needs an addition at OT, their defense is terrible. They are switching to a 3-4 defense this year. The NT and OLB positions need to be addressed: PICK: DE/OLB Barkevious Mingo, LSU;

16.) St. LOUIS RAMS: Though I still have my doubts about Rams' QB Sam Bradford, this is a young squad, that appears on the rise: PICK: FS Kenny Vaccaro, Texas; 

17.) PITTSBURGH STEELERS: Father time clearly has caught up with the Steeler defense. DE James Harrison and Brett Keisel are gone. Safeties Troy Palamalu and Ryan Clark will turn age 32 and 34, respectively. PICK: DE/DT Datone Jones, UCLA;

18.) DALLAS COWBOYS: Jerry Jones just shelled out a ton of money to retain QB Tony Romo. Though a horrid general manager, Jones is an astute business man. He'll strive to protect his investment in Romo: PICK OC/OG Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina;

19.) N.Y. GIANTS: The G-men need help at OT, ILB, CB, and DE. Though a pass rusher is always high on their list, their defense struggled mightily against the run last season. MLB Chase Blackburn has been chased out of town: PICK: MLB Alec Ogletree, Georgia;

20.) CHICAGO BEARS: Brian Urlacher is worn down, and was justifiably, but sadly, released. His replacement must be found. Da Bears also need help on the DL, OL, and at slot receiver: PICK: MLB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame;

21.) CINCINNATI BENGALS: The Bengals need a playmaker on both offense and defense. Between us girls, they also need a QB. I don't see Andy Dalton as the answer for them. He's average at best: PICK: FS Eric Reid, LSU; 

22.) ST. LOUIS RAMS (from Washington): Jeff Fisher continues to build a contender, thanks in part to the RG 3 trade. Though I'm not sold on QB Sam Bradford, having a mediocre at best OL hasn't made life in the league any easier for him. Sam also needs weapons at WR and at RB, now that the dependable Stephen Jackson has moved on: PICK: OT D.J. Fluker, Alabama;   

23.) MINNESOTA VIKINGS: Don't be fooled by the Vikings' strong 2012 season. RB Adrian Peterson carried his team, and his very mediocre QB, on his back all of last season. History seems to indicate that, due to wear and tear caused from having such a huge season, there's a major drop off. Check out how quickly RBs LaDainian Tomlinson, Chris Johnson, and Shaun Alexander seemed to wear down, after having their huge seasons. Peterson needs an occasional respite by way of an aerial attack. With Percy Harvin gone, that won't be easy. The Vikes also have needs at DT and at CB. PICK: WR DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson; 

24.) INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: Andrew Luck has proven himself to be a worthy successor to the Denver Horseface. You may recall how Bill Polian built a powerhouse in Indy by surrounding Peyton Manning with a glut of weapons...to the detriment of his defense. But, head coach Chuck Pagano is a defense first type of guy. The AFC South is a Q challenged division. Tennessee, Jacksonville, and Houston would rather run the ball than throw it. For this reason, he'll likely deviate from following the Polian plan: PICK: DT Sylvester Williams, North Carolina;

25.) MINNESOTA VIKINGS (from Seattle Seahawks): Now that the Vikes reached for Hopkins, they can move on to address needs on the defensive side of the ball. Ancient CB,  Antoine Winfield must be replaced: PICK: CB D. J. Hayden, Houston;

26.) GREEN BAY PACKERS: For an 11-5 team, the Packers seem to have an inordinate amount of holes. They need help on the OL, DL, and RB. In particular, the Pack seeks a pass-rusher to compliment Clay Matthews: PICK: DE/OLB Bjoern Werner, Florida State;

27.) HOUSTON TEXANS: Losing LB Brian Cushing last season seemed to take the starch out of the Texans. Nonetheless, a WR to compliment the aging Andre Johnson seems to be their most pressing need: PICK: WR Justin Hunter, Tennessee;

28.) DENVER BRONCOS: The Denver Horsefaces won't be held hostage by DE Dwight Freeney. The veteran reportedly seeks a two year, $6mil. deal. Sound familiar?? LOL!! Nobody is going to pay Freeney that kind of money. So...he'll either have to lower his demands, or retire. My guess is that, eventually, something will be worked out...and he'll replace the fax challenged Elvis Dumervil. That being the case, the Broncos have to be haunted by letting WR Jacoby Jones somehow get free and clear behind their defense, in the closing minutes of the OT playoff loss to the Ravens. They must also be concerned at how badly Ravens' WR Torrey Smith torched the aging Champ Bailey: PICK: CB Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State;

29.) NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: I'm not figuring in possible trades in my mock. Surely, some QB desperate team will trade up back into the first round, to select either QB Geno Smith, or whomever they were enamored with. My guess is that the Patriots will trade out of the first round, in order to acquire extra picks. That said, if the draft went as listed above, and the Pats were to use this selection, that they would select one of the following: DT Kawann Short, DT Johnathan Hankins, DT John Jenkins, DT Brandon Williams, DE Alex Okafor, OLB Damontre Moore, or WR Terrence Williams. Having these to choose from, my guess is that they'll find someone who can either rush the passer, or be the eventual successor to Vince Wilfolk on the DL: PICK: DT John Jenkins, Georgia;

30.) ATLANTA FALCONS: The Falcons must find a way to get some pressure on opposing QBs. Free agent John Abraham, age 35, was their only sack threat. But, the days for TE Tony Gonzalez are numbered: PICK: TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame;

31.) SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: The 49ers need to replace FS Dashon Goldson, and to find a successor to the aging Justin Smith: PICK: S Jonathan Cyprien, Florida International;

32.) BALTIMORE RAVENS: The Ravens were ravaged through free agency. They badly need to shore up their defense, and give Joe Flacco a young WR, to replace the departed Anquan Bolden. But, now that they're paying QB Joe Flacco a zillion dollars, they also need to consider finding ways to protect their investment: PICK: WR Keenan Allen, California.    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Re: 2013 NFL MOCK DRAFT

In response to TexasPat's comment:

The great majority of free agency signings have been made...and the 2013 NFL Draft is now just three weeks away. So, perhaps now we can start to have an intelligent and informed discussion, rather than mindless speculation...as to what prospects will be selected, and by whom. As you regulars here know, every year I do a mock draft. I do it not so much to try to predict who goes where...but to ascertain who will be available for the Patriots with their late first round pick. Here goes:  

1.) KANSAS CITY CHIEFS: It really doesn't matter how good a teams' QB is, if he is not surrounded by at least a decent OL. The Chiefs have acquired Alex Smith. Now, it's time to find his body guards. Last years' starting LT, Brandon Albert, wants a ton of money. He'll likely play in KC for one more season...or will be traded. PICK: OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M;

2.) JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS: The Jags' pass rush last year was particularly pathetic. For the season, the Jags' "D" netted just 20 sacks. In the past, the Jags have tried and failed to fix this problem by spending high picks on the likes of Derrick Harvey and Quinton Groves. the Jags also have major problems in their secondary. Query: Should they risk rolling dice on another potentially great edge rusher, like a Dion Jordan, with the second overall pick...when there's a safe, solid pick like CB Dee Milliner available? Milliner is by far the best CB available in this class. Jordan has drawn comparisons to the 49ers' Aldon Smith. My choice likely would be Milliner. But, they'll choose: PICK: DE/OLB Dion Jordan, Oregon;

3.) OAKLAND RAIDERS: Defensive linemen Richard Seymour, Tommy Kelly, and Desmond Bryant are gone. Even the late, great Uncle Al could figure out what needs to be done with the third overall pick: PICK: DT Sharrif Floyd, Florida;

4.) PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: Yes...the Eagles are really going with Michael Vick for yet another season. Vick is giving Patriots' CB Ras-I Dowling a run for his money as the most brittle player in the NFL. Getting Vick a top body guard is a must: PICK: OT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan;

5.) DETROIT LIONS: Their starting LT, Jeff Backus, has retired. Starting RT, Gosder Cherilus, has moved on through free agency. Like Michael Vick, Lions' QB Matthew Stafford has been getting murdered. So...even though the top two OTs available are gone, it appears to be the Lions' greatest position of need. Thus, taking OT Lane Johnson seems to make a lot of sense. Unless Stafford gets' better protected, he won't last another two years in the league. But, the Lions also lost DE Cliff Avril through free agency...and their other starting DE, the ancient veteran, Kyle Vanden Bosch, has been released: PICK: DE Ezekial Ansah, BYU;

6.) CLEVELAND BROWNS: Defensive coordinator Ray Horton has moved on from the Arizona Cardinals, to the Browns. Though Horton ran a 3-4 "D" in Arizona, Cleveland played a 4-3 last season. Whether Horton goes 4-3 or 3-4, he prefers an aggressive style of defense. a good edge pass-rusher, such as Jarvis Jones, would seem to make a lot of sense. But, CB Dee Milliner is still available, and a safer pick. He, in conjunction with former #1 draft choice, CB Joe Hayden, would make a formidable set of corners: PICK: CB Dee Milliner, Alabama;

7.) ARIZONA CARDINALS: Now that the Cards have signed on the statue that is Carson Palmer as their QB, it's imperative that something be done to improve their leaky OL. Though OT Lane Johnson is available, DT/DE Star Lotulelei has a chance to develop into a beast. He and Calais Campbell would make quite a pair of 3-4 DEs: PICK: DE/DT Star Lotulelei, Utah;

8.) BUFFALO BILLS: The signing of QB Kevin Kolb surely sent shivers through the bones of BB, and tingled the Buffalo faithful. Nonetheless, there simply doesn't appear to be a QB worth taking with the 8th overall pick. So...this pick likely comes down to either a WR, or a pass-rushing OLB. I like OLB Jarvis Jones. But, the Bills will foolishly prefer taking a WR: PICK: WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee;

9.) N.Y. JETS: The Green Goblins have more holes than a sweater left for 5 years in a moth infested closet. Rex Ryan will searxch for that every elusive impact edge pass-rusher: PICK: OLB Jarvis Jones, Georgia;

10.) TENNESSEE TITANS: The Titans continue to fantasize that they actually have a franchise QB in Jake Locker...LOL!! They had better find a way to beef up their OL...and get that running game going: PICK: OG Chance Warmack, Alabama;  

11.) SAN DIEGO CHARGERS: Philip Rivers has drastically regressed as a QB. Rivers has lost his top weapons...Vincent Jackson, Darren Sproles, and Ladainian Tomlinson. Star TE Antonio Gates is in decline. He also plays behing a horrid OL: PICK: OT Lane Johnson, Oklahoma;

12.) MIAMI DOLPHINS: Despite the big splashes made through free agency, problems persist at DE, OL, and in the Dolphins' secondary. PICK: CB Xavier Rhodes, Florida State;

13.) TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS: Now that the San Francisco 49ers have signed free agent CB Nmandi Asomugha, it appears unlikely that they will ante up, and get involved in a bidding war with the Bucs over Jets' CB Darrelle Revis. Still, The Bucs badly need help at CB...so their interest in Revis will remain high. My guess is that the Bucs will trade their second round pick this year, and a conditional second rounder next year, to land Revis. Acquiring Revis frees the Bucs to address other needs, at WR, and DT. PICK: WR Tavon Austin, West Virginia;

14.) CAROLINA PANTHERS: Pity QB Cam Newton. He's a great talent. But, he has no weapons to work with. His best option, WR Steve Smith, is 34 years old. To make matters worse, his OL is average at best. But, on the defensive side of the ball, the Panthers are marshmellowy soft in the middle: PICK: DT Sheldon Richardson, Missouri;

15.) NEW ORLEANS SAINTS: Though the Saints OL needs an addition at OT, their defense is terrible. They are switching to a 3-4 defense this year. The NT and OLB positions need to be addressed: PICK: DE/OLB Barkevious Mingo, LSU;

16.) St. LOUIS RAMS: Though I still have my doubts about Rams' QB Sam Bradford, this is a young squad, that appears on the rise: PICK: FS Kenny Vaccaro, Texas; 

17.) PITTSBURGH STEELERS: Father time clearly has caught up with the Steeler defense. DE James Harrison and Brett Keisel are gone. Safeties Troy Palamalu and Ryan Clark will turn age 32 and 34, respectively. PICK: DE/DT Datone Jones, UCLA;

18.) DALLAS COWBOYS: Jerry Jones just shelled out a ton of money to retain QB Tony Romo. Though a horrid general manager, Jones is an astute business man. He'll strive to protect his investment in Romo: PICK OC/OG Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina;

19.) N.Y. GIANTS: The G-men need help at OT, ILB, CB, and DE. Though a pass rusher is always high on their list, their defense struggled mightily against the run last season. MLB Chase Blackburn has been chased out of town: PICK: MLB Alec Ogletree, Georgia;

20.) CHICAGO BEARS: Brian Urlacher is worn down, and was justifiably, but sadly, released. His replacement must be found. Da Bears also need help on the DL, OL, and at slot receiver: PICK: MLB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame;

21.) CINCINNATI BENGALS: The Bengals need a playmaker on both offense and defense. Between us girls, they also need a QB. I don't see Andy Dalton as the answer for them. He's average at best: PICK: FS Eric Reid, LSU;  

hey a TP sighting!

I will keep my eye on your Ogletree pick on draft day...if you pick from UGA's defense you have a good chance at getting a player

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Nice Mock and well thought out, Tex.  Te'o in the 1st round is an absolute joke in my eyes but hey, Denver was dumb enough to draft Tebow in the 1st so I guess anything is possible on draft day.  I'm assuming you plan on completing this mock?  I like the Jones to Pitt pick (even though I would like to see NE get Jones).  That one really makes a ton of sense.  So does Austin to TB.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Nice Mock and well thought out, Tex.  Te'o in the 1st round is an absolute joke in my eyes but hey, Denver was dumb enough to draft Tebow in the 1st so I guess anything is possible on draft day.  I'm assuming you plan on completing this mock?  I like the Jones to Pitt pick (even though I would like to see NE get Jones).  That one really makes a ton of sense.  So does Austin to TB.

I agree. I wouldn't touch the guy with a ten foot pole. But, the Bears are desperate for a MLB, and to appease their fans after cutting ties with Brian Urlacher. Te'o, after playing at nearby Notre Dame, will stir great enthusiasm. But, I can't help but to be bothered by that catfishing saga. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Tex is it my computer or does your mock end at pick 28?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Damn Tex, the tease without the payoff...  who are the Pat's selecting?!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Damn Tex, the tease without the payoff...  who are the Pat's selecting?!

LOL!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

Tex is it my computer or does your mock end at pick 28?

Nah...it's done now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

thanks Tex, nice job with the mock! I like the fact you picked my guy Vince Wilfork lite as the Pats first selection!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

22.) ST. LOUIS RAMS (from Washington): Jeff Fisher continues to build a contender, thanks in part to the RG 3 trade. Though I'm not sold on QB Sam Bradford, having a mediocre at best OL hasn't made life in the league any easier for him. Sam also needs weapons at WR and at RB, now that the dependable Stephen Jackson has moved on: PICK: OT D.J. Fluker, Alabama;   

23.) MINNESOTA VIKINGS: Don't be fooled by the Vikings' strong 2012 season. RB Adrian Peterson carried his team, and his very mediocre QB, on his back all of last season. History seems to indicate that, due to wear and tear caused from having such a huge season, there's a major drop off. Check out how quickly RBs LaDainian Tomlinson, Chris Johnson, and Shaun Alexander seemed to wear down, after having their huge seasons. Peterson needs an occasional respite by way of an aerial attack. With Percy Harvin gone, that won't be easy. The Vikes also have needs at DT and at CB. PICK: WR DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson; 

24.) INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: Andrew Luck has proven himself to be a worthy successor to the Denver Horseface. You may recall how Bill Polian built a powerhouse in Indy by surrounding Peyton Manning with a glut of weapons...to the detriment of his defense. But, head coach Chuck Pagano is a defense first type of guy. The AFC South is a Q challenged division. Tennessee, Jacksonville, and Houston would rather run the ball than throw it. For this reason, he'll likely deviate from following the Polian plan: PICK: DT Sylvester Williams, North Carolina;

25.) MINNESOTA VIKINGS (from Seattle Seahawks): Now that the Vikes reached for Hopkins, they can move on to address needs on the defensive side of the ball. Ancient CB,  Antoine Winfield must be replaced: PICK: CB D. J. Hayden, Houston;

26.) GREEN BAY PACKERS: For an 11-5 team, the Packers seem to have an inordinate amount of holes. They need help on the OL, DL, and RB. In particular, the Pack seeks a pass-rusher to compliment Clay Matthews: PICK: DE/OLB Bjoern Werner, Florida State;

27.) HOUSTON TEXANS: Losing LB Brian Cushing last season seemed to take the starch out of the Texans. Nonetheless, a WR to compliment the aging Andre Johnson seems to be their most pressing need: PICK: WR Justin Hunter, Tennessee;

28.) DENVER BRONCOS: The Denver Horsefaces won't be held hostage by DE Dwight Freeney. The veteran reportedly seeks a two year, $6mil. deal. Sound familiar?? LOL!! Nobody is going to pay Freeney that kind of money. So...he'll either have to lower his demands, or retire. My guess is that, eventually, something will be worked out...and he'll replace the fax challenged Elvis Dumervil. That being the case, the Broncos have to be haunted by letting WR Jacoby Jones somehow get free and clear behind their defense, in the closing minutes of the OT playoff loss to the Ravens. They must also be concerned at how badly Ravens' WR Torrey Smith torched the aging Champ Bailey: PICK: CB Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State;

29.) NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: I'm not figuring in possible trades in my mock. Surely, some QB desperate team will trade up back into the first round, to select either QB Geno Smith, or whomever they were enamored with. My guess is that the Patriots will trade out of the first round, in order to acquire extra picks. That said, if the draft went as listed above, and the Pats were to use this selection, that they would select one of the following: DT Kawann Short, DT Johnathan Hankins, DT John Jenkins, DT Brandon Williams, DE Alex Okafor, OLB Damontre Moore, or WR Terrence Williams. Having these to choose from, my guess is that they'll find someone who can either rush the passer, or be the eventual successor to Vince Wilfolk on the DL: PICK: DT John Jenkins, Georgia;

30.) ATLANTA FALCONS: The Falcons must find a way to get some pressure on opposing QBs. Free agent John Abraham, age 35, was their only sack threat. But, the days for TE Tony Gonzalez are numbered: PICK: TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame;

31.) SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: The 49ers need to replace FS Dashon Goldson, and to find a successor to the aging Justin Smith: PICK: S Jonathan Cyprien, Florida International;

32.) BALTIMORE RAVENS: The Ravens were ravaged through free agency. They badly need to shore up their defense, and give Joe Flacco a young WR, to replace the departed Anquan Bolden. But, now that they're paying QB Joe Flacco a zillion dollars, they also need to consider finding ways to protect their investment: PICK: WR Keenan Allen, California.    

i think several teams could still pick a qb in rd 1

and if draft unfolded this way, id go carradine and be happy

and da rick rogers in rd 2.

cb, safety, cover lb, dt or ol in rd 3.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

agree on jones as a possible player to pats in rd 1, been on my list on draft thread of good pat rd 1 picks for two and a half months.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

thanks Tex, nice job with the mock! I like the fact you picked my guy Vince Wilfork lite as the Pats first selection!

i had jenkisn as a potential pat a few months ago but moved off. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

No QBs ??? That ain't happening....Geno Smith will be top 10.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

i see 3 possible qbs selected  in rd 1.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

In his latest mock, Kiper of ESPN suggests the Pats will take Hunter in the first round and Matthieu in the second round.

The patriots have 5 picks in the upcoming drafts, and they have big needs in WR and outside CB, in addition to a need for stocking in the future for DT and DE. It would be extremely stupid to waste one of picks on a 5'9'' slot corner back who had not played ball at a competitive level for a year, who had substance abuse issues, who quitted, especially after the team had already signed another short slot CB for 4 years at 16 million dollars.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

TP, you fantasizer. What do you think you're some GM or analyst. Sorry couldn't resist after you made the big stink about the draft thread and fantasy football and here you are making a mock which unto itself is a fantasy exercise  Undecided

btw nice mock but you think Mia will still take a CB after signing Grimes?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:

In his latest mock, Kiper of ESPN suggests the Pats will take Hunter in the first round and Matthieu in the second round.

The patriots have 5 picks in the upcoming drafts, and they have big needs in WR and outside CB, in addition to a need for stocking in the future for DT and DE. It would be extremely stupid to waste one of picks on a 5'9'' slot corner back who had not played ball at a competitive level for a year, who had substance abuse issues, who quitted, especially after the team had already signed another short slot CB for 4 years at 16 million dollars.

Agree. Lots of better outside CBS available in round 2. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

TP, you fantasizer. What do you think you're some GM or analyst. Sorry couldn't resist after you made the big stink about the draft thread and fantasy football and here you are making a mock which unto itself is a fantasy exercise  Undecided

Yes. If the top three OT are gone, I can see them going for a CB at #12 overall. The 'Fins' secondary is s mess. They lost their best CB, Sean Smith, through free agency. Neither Nolan Carroll and veteran Richard Marshall are very good, and need to be upgraded. Though they added Grimes, he's a stop gap solution. Grimes turns 30 in July, and is coming off a serious Achilles tendon injury: http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-03-30/sports/sfl-miami-dolphins-sign-veteran-cornerback-brent-grimes-20130330_1_r-j-stanford-richard-marshall-dimitri-patterson

Xavier Rhodes, like Sean Smith, is a big CB. After Dee Milliner and him, there's a bit of a drop off at the position. It's too early at #12 for RT D. J. Fluker. The 'Fins might also consider DE Bjoern Woerner, or OG/C Jonathan Cooper.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Yes. If the top three OT are gone, I can see them going for a CB at #12 overall. The 'Fins' secondary is s mess. They lost their best CB, Sean Smith, through free agency. Neither Nolan Carroll and veteran Richard Marshall are very good, and need to be upgraded. Though they added Grimes, he's a stop gap solution. He's over 30, and coming off a serious injury. Xavier Rhodes, like Sean Smith, is a big CB...and the second best CB in the draft, behind only Dee Milliner. It's too early for RT D. J. Fluker. They could also go with a DE, or with OG/C Jonathan Cooper.   

I can see that. I've also heard they are looking for a long term replacement for Starks as they aren't sure they can resign either him or Soliai next year. Also, they have Martin as a swing T but they really need either a RT and LT. If Lane Johnson is availabel at #12 he might be really hard for them to turn down (you have him going at #11 so I understand the Rhodes pick). If I had to put it down on paper I'd put Johnson as choice #1 for Mia then either Rhodes or Richarson as equal chance of being take as choice #2

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Good job.  I like the pick you made for the Pats.  Jenkins is not a perfect prospect, but is a rare athlete.  I agree that it is time to look for a successor for Vince, and Jenkins could be just the guy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Yes. If the top three OT are gone, I can see them going for a CB at #12 overall. The 'Fins' secondary is s mess. They lost their best CB, Sean Smith, through free agency. Neither Nolan Carroll and veteran Richard Marshall are very good, and need to be upgraded. Though they added Grimes, he's a stop gap solution. He'll be 30 in July, and is coming off a serious Achilles tendon injury. Xavier Rhodes, like Sean Smith, is a big CB...and the second best CB in the draft, behind only Dee Milliner. It's too early for RT D. J. Fluker. They could also go with a DE, or with OG/C Jonathan Cooper.   

I can see that. I've also heard they are looking for a long term replacement for Starks as they aren't sure they can resign either him or Soliai next year. Also, they have Martin as a swing T but they really need either a RT and LT. If Lane Johnson is availabel at #12 he might be really hard for them to turn down (you have him going at #11 so I understand the Rhodes pick). If I had to put it down on paper I'd put Johnson as choice #1 for Mia then either Rhodes or Richarson as equal chance of being take as choice #2

As stated in my previous post, going with Rhodes is contingent upon the top three OTs, Joeckel, Fisher, and Lane Johnson, being gone by pick #12. If Johnson is available, going OT would seem to make sense. It all depends on how the 'Fins have Johnson and Rhodes rated. A DT like Sheldon Richardson could make sense, too. Miami plays a 4-3 now...and the DTs available, aside from Richardson, seem to be better suited to play in a 3-4 defense.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:

Agree with regard to the "Honey Badger". I can't see the Pats taking him in round two, after signing Kyle Arrington to a fairly big money deal. Still, Matthieu is a play maker, and an exceptional punt returner. If the Pats lose Julian Edelman to the Giants, the thought of them looking at Matthieu makes more sense.

The Patriots likely will trade down from their 29th overall pick, with some QB starved team. I can see Buffalo, Jacksonville, Oakland, Cleveland, Philadelphia, and Arizona as possible trading partners...moving up to snag a QB.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Good job.  I like the pick you made for the Pats.  Jenkins is not a perfect prospect, but is a rare athlete.  I agree that it is time to look for a successor for Vince, and Jenkins could be just the guy.

I think the DTs will go really fast this year. In addition to the normal demand, there are two teams converting to 34, who will certainly be in a hunt for an NT. Teams that could pick a DT in the first include JAX, OAK, CLE, NYJ, TEN, NOS, PIT, MIN, IND, GBP, NWE.

My guess:

JAX: Finds Jordan and Ansah too fascinating. They forego a DT. Takes one of Jordan or Ansah. If I were them, I'd take the latter. I think DET takes the other.

OAK: Their situation with Kelly and Seymour makes DT a must. I think they pick Floyd

NYJ: They could take a pass-rusher. But with Star on the board, I don't think Ryan will be able to resist taking a very talented NT. They take Lotulelei.

TEN: Will take Richardson if BUF takes Warmack

NOS: Conversion to 34 will be problematic without a NT - the most critical position in the scheme.  Big kids with high level of kids don't appear on every draft. They gotta take an NT. Of the available DTs, my guess is they pick the one who is closest to being ready to start. That would be Hankins.

PIT: I have them picking a backfill to Harrison. However, Hampton is FA. Behind Hampton, they have McLendon (maybe too small to play PIT style of 34) and Taamu. My guess is they get a vet from FA if Taamu is not ready. It is possible they pick another padawan to learn from whichever vet they bring in. That could be J Williams. If they want someone close to starting they could pick S Williams.

IND: Same situation as NOS. Of available DTs who can play nose, they pick the one closest to being ready to start. My guess is that would be S Williams. If he's gone, the pick here could be Jenkins.

MIN: Will certainly pick a WR with one of their first rounders. The other pick should be on D. The D struggled against the pass. Yesterday, I thought that reinforcing the front 4 would be the way to go for them. But TP's CB pick made me analyze MIN a little more. That D ranks #5 in total sacks and #5 in sack yards lost. On the other hand they rank #27 on opp pass completion rate. This makes me believe that their issue is more in the secondary. I think TP nailed this one. They probably will pick a CB.

GBP: Not many predict GBP to pick a DT. That said, if you watched their last playoff game, the front 5 looked really slow vs. SFF. If I have to guess which position they will target improving, it will be 33 yr old Pickett, who plays to the left of Raji. I anticipate they pick whichever highly rated DT's left that has the best motor. That would be Short.

NWE: If they want a NT, they could be left with only J Williams vs Johnathan Jenkins on the board (B Williams if they want to risk waiting 'til 59). On how close to being ready to start, I think Jenkins has the advantage. For different reasons, they have very good upsides. Williams' upside is more related to what he's been able to do despite his rawness. Jenkins' upside has to do with the athleticism he shows at the weight he's at (345 lbs). In the history of the NFL, I think people have seen that the latter kind of upside is more rare. Like you, I like Jenkins here. Yet depending on where PIT goes, it's possible that only one of Jenkins and J Williams is available here.

BTW, TP, nice mock overall.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

RESPONSE: I don't see Smith having top 10 talent. There's a better chance that Geno Smith will be the second coming of Akili Smith. But, it only takes one team to see him as the second coming. That team could be Philadelpia...if you believe Mel Kiper and his sources. Philly would be crazy to risk the 4th overall pick on Geno. We'll see what happens.  

i see 3 possible qbs selected  in round 1

RESPONSE: This is possible. I didn't include trade scenarios in my mock. But, I expect the Patriots to trade down from their 29th overall pick, to a QB needy team. Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, and/or E.J. Manual could go in round one. One of these guys will be selected at pick 29.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

RESPONSE: I don't see Smith having top 10 talent. There's a better chance that Geno Smith will be the second coming of Akili Smith. But, it only takes one team to see him as the second coming. That team could be Philadelpia...if you believe Mel Kiper and his sources. Philly would be crazy to risk the 4th overall pick on Geno. We'll see what happens.  

i see 3 possible qbs selected  in round 1

RESPONSE: This is possible. I didn't include trade scenarios in my mock. But, I expect the Patriots to trade down from their 29th overall pick, to a QB needy team. Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, and/or E.J. Manual could go in round one. One of these guys will be selected at pick 29.

I hope you're right about NE trading #29 and moving back into the second, but I have a feeling that it will be tough to find a team willing to move into the late first this year for any of these QBs.  Trading back would be the best case scenario for the Pats this year, but I bet we'll be stuck with #29.

Sections
Shortcuts