***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

Morning Boys,..
    I had actually thought about profiling Le'Veon Bell yesterday and went with Dion Jordan instead.

On the positive side, Bell is a huge back with excellent power and good feet for his size (has some elusivness to his game, and mixes in a nice spin move), he's also a decent receiver out of the backfield and plays some slot... seems to be a kid that has to build up speed and looks more power on the 2nd and 3rd levels than he does at the LOS, IMO.

On the negative size, he does appear indecisive at times and will dance a bit, trying to make his man miss vs. just putting his head/shoulder down and taking what the defense will give him. 

If he kid can focus more on using his natural raw power, I think he has some 3 down potential at the NFL level... shades of LeGarrette Blount for me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Some great stuff on here already guys!! Love the break down on the kid from Oregon and the tight end.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Nothing like starting the day with a corned beef omelet and a Guinness and the game coming on haha

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I suspect the Patriots greatest needs going into next off season (and so looking via FA and draft):

1. DT - Vince is the ONLY DT who commands his position. All others on this roster just get by. I had hopes for Pryor but he is never on the field. 

2. OL - C or G or, if Vollmer's back continues to be a problem, T. Any one of the three or maybe even two. I personally have always felt Cannon is better suited to G.

3. WR to replace Welker (unless they can somehow sign him but that looks unlikely)

4. ILB (or OLB). The ILB is to be paired with Spikes and to be his back up in 4-3 sets. I say OLB as alternative as Hightower could be strong at ILB and OLB. So if there was a special OLB out there and only a fair ILB you could go with the OLB.

5. You can never have too many DBs, especially CBs. And a real good guy to cover TEs and big WRs or a really good FS would be nice.

6. ANother TB heir apparent. This is NO knowck on Mallet. It reflects that (1) TB will continue to start past Mallet's last year on his contract ans so become a FA like Hoyer and (2) Mallet has an upside but has not PROVED he is going to be a top 10 QB in this league. So continuing to look for the next great starter is a good idea.

7. A great kick returner

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

Nothing like starting the day with a corned beef omelet and a Guinness and the game coming on haha

I could really get used to 9 AM college football... I was up at 6:36... felt like a kid on Christmas morning, ha.  GO IRISH!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Port,
    Not a lot to disagree with... while I don't think ILB will be targeted early at this point, I do think another OLB/DE hybrid type (you gotta check out Dion Jordan from Oregon; he has a decent amount of tape online) is a position of interest, with the premium placed on the position

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

If I was to break down which possible position would we look I'd be looking at this:

(Round 1-2) -

G - Waters needs to be replaced and not sure if Cannon, McDonald, or Thomas are those poeple

T - The only reason I have it going this high is because Vollmers back is a question mark and if Solder can handle the job. Both will be determined this season

WR - I don't think Edelman can replace Welker and Salas is still a question mark. Even if Hern gets moved to a starting WR spot then you are still looking for a true #3 WR and ling term Lloyd replacement

DT - No clear starting DT next to Wilfork yet

DE/OLB - Someone to bookend Jones would just set this D to be dominate for years

FS - Gregory is nice but a long term ball hawking FS would be better

Rounds (3-5)

Basically all the above as you can't pick them all and players can still prove enough this season to drop the priority of the positions

C - Connolly is good but they really like Wendell and McDonald. Add to that Tennant being basically a Koppen clone that needs to improve some things and the priority might not be there

RB - all depends on what Ridley, Vereen, and Bolden do but a larger more powerful RB might be needed

QB - Mallett improved but he needs to improve even more. Getting another young QB to push him can be very helpful

Rounds (6-UDFA) -

TE, ILB, SS, K, P - basically these positions are all set except for maybe depth?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

mb...

just finished watching the first half of the nd game. the guy i am really enjoying watching now is riddick. has has very good burst and nice sharp cuts and tiny sideward hop that makes defenders miss.

unfortunately, navy does not really have the offense to test nd's d, so i did not see much from tuitt. maybe he'll show more on their next game.

#9, nix caught my eye. he looks like a real nt... at least against the navy OL.

that said, i continue to be impressed with teo.

eifert will be a high pick.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

now watching alabama v michigan...

too many good players on the bama side. where does one even start with this team?

milliner and lester are as i remember them from last year. they just made an early argument for picking them up in the first.

if you are in the market for RBs, all three they used today are pretty good. i actually like fowler and yeldon (i really like this guy) more than lacy.

on the DL, i'd watch out for hubbard and dial.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07s comment:

Morning Boys,..
    I had actually thought about profiling Le'Veon Bell yesterday and went with Dion Jordan instead.

On the positive side, Bell is a huge back with excellent power and good feet for his size (has some elusivness to his game, and mixes in a nice spin move), he's also a decent receiver out of the backfield and plays some slot... seems to be a kid that has to build up speed and looks more power on the 2nd and 3rd levels than he does at the LOS, IMO.

On the negative size, he does appear indecisive at times and will dance a bit, trying to make his man miss vs. just putting his head/shoulder down and taking what the defense will give him. 

If he kid can focus more on using his natural raw power, I think he has some 3 down potential at the NFL level... shades of LeGarrette Blount for me.

except not the speed of blount. stronger i think. i didnt see every play. was at gym of course. i didnt see the indecisiveness in the plays i watched against boise

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to portfolio1 comment:

I suspect the Patriots greatest needs going into next off season (and so looking via FA and draft):

1. DT - Vince is the ONLY DT who commands his position. All others on this roster just get by. I had hopes for Pryor but he is never on the field. 

2. OL - C or G or, if Vollmer's back continues to be a problem, T. Any one of the three or maybe even two. I personally have always felt Cannon is better suited to G.

3. WR to replace Welker (unless they can somehow sign him but that looks unlikely)

4. ILB (or OLB). The ILB is to be paired with Spikes and to be his back up in 4-3 sets. I say OLB as alternative as Hightower could be strong at ILB and OLB. So if there was a special OLB out there and only a fair ILB you could go with the OLB.

5. You can never have too many DBs, especially CBs. And a real good guy to cover TEs and big WRs or a really good FS would be nice.

6. ANother TB heir apparent. This is NO knowck on Mallet. It reflects that (1) TB will continue to start past Mallet's last year on his contract ans so become a FA like Hoyer and (2) Mallet has an upside but has not PROVED he is going to be a top 10 QB in this league. So continuing to look for the next great starter is a good idea.

7. A great kick returner

7. A great kick returner 

i said very similar on the draft thread in nowhere land.
    except demps is the returner for me

and
    wr i want is an outside one with size speed and hands.

and
    lb not as high a need as cb. even with our team as is, not having 2 excelent cbs could cost us a s.b. against the packers ( i said something similar early last year about not having a legit backup if gronk or hern went down not about the pack but about the s.b.).

otherwise right about the same thing i said in disappeared thread (though currently lean more to tackle over center/guard at moment-the year will tell which ends up a higher need).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEngs comment:

If I was to break down which possible position would we look I'd be looking at this:

(Round 1-2) -

G - Waters needs to be replaced and not sure if Cannon, McDonald, or Thomas are those poeple

T - The only reason I have it going this high is because Vollmers back is a question mark and if Solder can handle the job. Both will be determined this season

WR - I don't think Edelman can replace Welker and Salas is still a question mark. Even if Hern gets moved to a starting WR spot then you are still looking for a true #3 WR and ling term Lloyd replacement

DT - No clear starting DT next to Wilfork yet

DE/OLB - Someone to bookend Jones would just set this D to be dominate for years

FS - Gregory is nice but a long term ball hawking FS would be better

Rounds (3-5)

Basically all the above as you can't pick them all and players can still prove enough this season to drop the priority of the positions

C - Connolly is good but they really like Wendell and McDonald. Add to that Tennant being basically a Koppen clone that needs to improve some things and the priority might not be there

RB - all depends on what Ridley, Vereen, and Bolden do but a larger more powerful RB might be needed

QB - Mallett improved but he needs to improve even more. Getting another young QB to push him can be very helpful

Rounds (6-UDFA) -

TE, ILB, SS, K, P - basically these positions are all set except for maybe depth?

i wanted teh balhwaking safety last year.
    this year i think we have higher needs and fewer draft picks so i didnt list free safety.

ditto on bookend for jones, though how could you argue if we got that

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Very interesting thread.  You guys amaze me with your knowledge on these players.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Seattle,
    Riddick is an interesting cat... he was recruited to ND as a RB, was moved to slot when Brian Kelly took over and had a bit of a rough year, especially as a PR and was moved back to RB for this season.  Solid compact frame, has the quick feet and burst that you mentioned.  Tuitt is the kid that brought the fumble back 77 yards for a TD... we're talking a 6-5 305 DE that went 77 yards with no one catching him... shades of Richard Seymour (and his 68 yard fumble return for a TD against Buffalo back in 2004), ha... kids gonna be a stud.

Nix (Irish Chocolate as I think he likes to be called) has some personality to him, he's also a legit space eater in the middle with some athleticism to him.  He's draft eligible so a solid season may push him towards declaring early.

Te'o and Eifert are legit Rd 1 talents at this point.

It's def tough to scout the 'Bama D because they have so many prospects, but the kid that stood out to me was CB Dee Milliner... big 6-1 200 pount kid that moves well, plays a physical brand of football, has good speed and make up speed and actually turns his head around to find the football with a technique issue that has hurt NE in recent years... he's high on my list of prospects... caught my eye last season when I was watching tape of Dre Kirkpatrick.  DT Jessie Williams is another intriguing kid to me as he has the size (6-3 320) and strength ( 600 pound bench press) to clog the middle and appears to have the movement ability to kick out to end in some 34 sets.  Kid plays with an excellent motor, is very stout at the POA and has some definite 2-gap ability.  He only started playing football at 15 I believe.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

So, some good games this weekend. We learned that Michigan is not anywhere even closed to hype but Ala is. Keep your eyes on the Alam players. Williams, Lester, Lacy looked pretty good. Lacy could be an interesting prospect if we are looking for a larger RB. He's average speed which I think could lend to him being able to gain another 10lbs and be a wrecking ball at 6'0" 230lbs.

Anyone else notice any interesting prospects from this weekends games

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

So, some good games this weekend. We learned that Michigan is not anywhere even closed to hype but Ala is. Keep your eyes on the Alam players. Williams, Lester, Lacy looked pretty good. Lacy could be an interesting prospect if we are looking for a larger RB. He's average speed which I think could lend to him being able to gain another 10lbs and be a wrecking ball at 6'0" 230lbs.

Bama's Dee Milliner is the kid that caught my eye this weekend, not that CB is a #1 need, but this kid is legit, great size (6-1 200)/speed combo, actually turns his head in coverage, locates the ball well and has good ball skills... also plays a physical brand of football, I like him a lot.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07 comment:

Bama's Dee Millineris the kid that caught my eye this weekend, not that CB is a #1 need, but this kid is legit, great size (6-1 200)/speed combo, actually turns his head in coverage, locates the ball well and has good ball skills... also plays a physical brand of football, I like him a lot.

That's huge right there. If a CB in college knows to turn his head and can still make a play then he is legit. To many CB's now a days never turn their heads to make the play. It's a lost art that few can do well

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Bama's Dee Millineris the kid that caught my eye this weekend, not that CB is a #1 need, but this kid is legit, great size (6-1 200)/speed combo, actually turns his head in coverage, locates the ball well and has good ball skills... also plays a physical brand of football, I like him a lot.

That's huge right there. If a CB in college knows to turn his head and can still make a play then he is legit. To many CB's now a days never turn their heads to make the play. It's a lost art that few can do well

Agreed and it's absolutely fargin maddening to watch, haha.  I don't know how it's not a natural instinct for a lot of guys as how can play the ball if you don't see the ball... just lazy/poor technique.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

I thought the Alabama line played great also.  Seems like Barrett Jones had an easy transition to the center position.  I'm hearing rave reviews regarding Chance Warmack.  I think it was Todd McShay who had him listed as his #2 prospect.  Seems high for a guard but he did look good in the game. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

FSU DE Brandon Jenkins is out for the season... tough break, kid's a good football player.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/03/reports-foot-injury-knocks-fsu-de-out-for-the-year/

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

FSU DE Brandon Jenkins is out for the season... tough break, kid's a good football player.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/03/reports-foot-injury-knocks-fsu-de-out-for-the-year/

Wow, that's a tough break. That was one of the kids I know we talked about as a possible pick last draft, if he came out. It makes a tough choiec for him to enter the draft or to use that extra year of eligability (he never was redshirted). Of course if he returns next year and the same thing happens his stock will be dead in 2014 and of course being the extra year older his stock will be hurt too. Stinks for him but the Pats might be able to grab him a little later on if he declares this year

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Wow, that's a tough break. That was one of the kids I know we talked about as a possible pick last draft, if he came out. It makes a tough choiec for him to enter the draft or to use that extra year of eligability (he never was redshirted). Of course if he returns next year and the same thing happens his stock will be dead in 2014 and of course being the extra year older his stock will be hurt too. Stinks for him but the Pats might be able to grab him a little later on if he declares this year

Good call, I too was thinking that the injury may allow NE or another team to get a relative bargain on him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07s comment:

Agreed and it's absolutely fargin maddening to watch, haha.  I don't know how it's not a natural instinct for a lot of guys as how can play the ball if you don't see the ball... just lazy/poor technique.

oh my g=d totally one of my favorite observations (irritants) as well as well. how can you not turn.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[/QUOTE]

hey mb... 

i actually wrote a post on that fumble recovery by tuitt. somehow, it is not on the board. i do recognize that he is fast. i thought it was incredible that he ran for 70+ yards without any of the players on the other side catching him. that is pretty impressive for a 300 lb kid. he could be the fastest 300 lb kid in the combine next year.

that said, that was the only time i thought he stood out (i only saw one half so far. i might find time to watch the second half before the weekend). he is also on my watch list so i'll keep checking him out every time i am able to record a nd game.

milliner, i completely agree. i just think he is head and shoulders above any other college cb (debate v honey badger). his size though will get him a higher place in the draft. if he keeps up that performance, he'd be inaccessible at 32 (i am being presumptuous but i think you guys are fine with that).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

sp,

Tuitt is a true soph, won't be eligible until the 2014 draft, but def a kid to keep an eye on... was a big time 5* recruit that they pulled out of Georgia.  Navy prob isn't the best team to measure him against as not many teams still run the option, but he looked pretty disruptive to me and was penetrating/pressuring the backfield/pocket on more than one occasion.

Honey Badger has been a playmaker for LSU, but this CB class has some elite size potential with multiple CB's at 6-0+ (list below)... I also think he's more likely for the 2014 draft, after taking this year off to rehab.

Banks/Amerson/Rhodes in particular (along with Milliner), project as potential Rd 1 kids:

Johnathan Banks- 6-1 185- Miss St

Terry Hawthorne- 6-0 190- Illinios

Micah Hyde- 6-1 190- Iowa

*Dee Milliner- 6-1 198- Alabama

*David Amerson- 6-2 194- NC St

*Xavier Rhodes- 6-1 217- FSU

*Logan Ryan- 6-0 190- Rutgers

*Tharold Simon- 6-2 193- LSU

*Denotes Underclassman

Sections
Shortcuts