***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/18992316/the-freak-list-the-10-craziest-athletes-in-college-football

this might interest a few of you guys.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to natesubs's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/18992316/the-freak-list-the-10-craziest-athletes-in-college-football

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting... Hunt is a kid I like and he strikes me as somebody that the NYG's always seem to get... long, athletic kids who can rush the passer.  While he's not somebody that would interest BB as a 5 tech (unless he's gonna put on 20 or so pounds), I'd love to see what they could do with this kid across from Chandler in more 4 man fronts.  I said it again yesterday, I don't remember a  DE class that had this much projected height/weight/length.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to natesubs's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting... Hunt is a kid I like and he strikes me as somebody that the NYG's always seem to get... long, athletic kids who can rush the passer.  While he's not somebody that would interest BB as a 5 tech (unless he's gonna put on 20 or so pounds), I'd love to see what they could do with this kid across from Chandler in more 4 man fronts.  I said it again yesterday, I don't remember a  DE class that had this much projected height/weight/length.

[/QUOTE]

The thing is i think he could easliy add 30-50 pounds and still be fine, he is a pretty slim guy being that his frame is huge.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

MB and others. Lester had pick tonight for the Tide. Where is he on the board. I know you`re an ND guy, but Teo will gone and where do you see Eiffert going?

[/QUOTE]

Lester is prob a top 75 kid with Rd 2 upside, IMO... def a player that I'm interested in (and was last year as well).

Eifert's #'s are really hindered by inconsistent QB play at ND, but the kid is a top 50 talent with some Rd 1 upside... great size with awesome hands, can seperate and has improved as a blocker, both inline and in space.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

what gives mb, no nd talk. lets have at it.

i woudnt mind a k state alabama nc game

florida ndame game for 3 and 4.

presuming oregon loses a game.

i think k state and nd are overanked (as ive said). but i wouldnt mind the above

imagine having to play a whole season of sec teams (every year)

but you can go to a bcs game not playing one of teh top 5 sec ranked top 11, 6 in top 13.

lsu could lose to fl, south ca (but pulled it out), and alabama (who knows about miss state) AND still kick anyone else in the nation's butt.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i think k state and nd are overanked (as ive said). but i wouldnt mind the above

but you can go to a bcs game not playing one of teh top 5 sec ranked top 11, 6 in top 13.

[/QUOTE]

Been a fun team to watch this year... defense is elite, offense is very much a work in progress... and for what it's worth, they play one of, if not the toughest schedules in the country and have a very tough match up this week as they'll play Oklahoma, in Norman... they also have USC still on the schedule.  IF they win out, they should be in the BCS championship game as they'll have 5 wins against teams that were ranked at the time they were playing (MSU, Michigan, Stanford, OKlahoma & USC), with (3) against teams that were then top 10 ranked (MSU, Oklahoma & USC).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Been a fun team to watch this year... defense is elite, offense is very much a work in progress... and for what it's worth, they play one of, if not the toughest schedules in the country and have a very tough match up this week as they'll play Oklahoma, in Norman... they also have USC still on the schedule.  IF they win out, they should be in the BCS championship game as they'll have 5 wins against teams that were ranked at the time they were playing (MSU, Michigan, Stanford, OKlahoma & USC), with (3) against teams that were then top 10 ranked (MSU, Oklahoma & USC).

[/QUOTE]

good stuff.

mish st was well overrnaked.

stanford about where they shoudl have been last week (20) and was that a "win"?

oklahoma has improved over the year, shoudl be teh game of teh year for you.

usc is not that good.

still love to see nd and florida in bcs game.

nice d!

you want te'o on our team?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

oh and tougest scehdule in the country not one upper half sec team?

thats why i want to see you ion a bcs or bowl game.

better yet, join teh sec. that woudla been aweseome  (this past offseason:)

but i forgot no one wants to join the sec, unless they have no n.c. chance and just need money.

who wants to play all those teams week in and week out

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

good stuff.

usc is not that good.

nice d!

[/QUOTE]

No doubt that MSU was overrated... which is prob worse than overrnaked? haha

It was a win, the NCAA director of officiating, or whatever his title is, said it was the correct call and that the crew on the field made the right call... could it have gone both ways? Sure.

SC's strength (passing offense) will be a good test for ND and their rookie CB's... I also look forward to seeing them vs. Oregon.

I too would love to see ND vs. FLA... outside of ND, FLA is the team that I prob like the most... have always been a bit of a Gator fan... love "The Swamp"... was a huge Tebow fan too.

Would love to see Te'o in Foxboro... just an awesome player and presence... would just be a matter of where to fit him in... they'd also likely need to move up to get him (how far is TBD) which would require them to kick Hightower outside to more of a rush end/OLB role.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

good stuff.

usc is not that good.

nice d!

[/QUOTE]

It was a win, the NCAA director of officiating, or whatever his title is, said it was the correct call and that the crew on the field made the right call... could it have gone both ways? Sure.

SC's strength (passing offense) will be a good test for ND and their rookie CB's... I also look forward to seeing them vs. Oregon.

I too would love to see ND vs. FLA... outside of ND, FLA is the team that I prob like the most... have always been a bit of a Gator fan... love "The Swamp"... was a huge Tebow fan too.

Would love to see Te'o in Foxboro... just an awesome player and presence... would just be a matter of where to fit him in... they'd also likely need to move up to get him (how far is TBD) which would require them to kick Hightower outside to more of a rush end/OLB role.

[/QUOTE]

good to hear your thougths re te'o here.

didnt know you too like some florida.

i'm from fl (relocated after growing up in n.e.). why i root for sec and fla teams in college fball

agree on usc having some good wrs. i hear you on seeign on how nd stacks up there.

thoughts on todays game, team as a whole, josh mcd gamecalling, bb's coaching/and stubborness, future draft (what youd like, what you think bb might do), will we get a f.a. safety or cb, your thoery on why bb wont hire top league coaches and coordinators (ive already wighed in).

nice chatting with you here today.

peace

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

but i forgot no one wants to join the sec, unless they have no n.c. chance and just need money.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, one of the toughest schedules in the country.

ND is still an "Independent" in football, but have joined the ACC in all other sports (besides hockey)... they'll also be playing (5) ACC teams per year, which will allow them to keep their historical matchups (Navy, Purdue, SC... etc.).

They keep winning and they'll be able to lure some SEC area talent to South Bend, as they have with DE Stephon Tuitt (out of GA) and NT Louis Nix (out of FLA).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, one of the toughest schedules in the country.

ND is still an "Independent" in football, but have joined the ACC in all other sports (besides hockey)... they'll also be playing (5) ACC teams per year, which will allow them to keep their historical matchups (Navy, Purdue, SC... etc.).

They keep winning and they'll be able to lure some SEC area talent to South Bend, as they have with DE Stephon Tuitt (out of GA) and NT Louis Nix (out of FLA).

[/QUOTE]

i agree and i dont like that nyaaaaa.

acc yup keep their chanes of nc muuuuuch easier.

i hope they get forced to choose eventually.

stil big and big east suck so they will be safe nto having to play an sec or a apc scheduel all year.

the toughest schedule in teh league is the sec imo ...period.

every year teasm start teh seasoon rannked where they have no biz being, this skews the rankings all year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

good stuff.

usc is not that good.

nice d!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

good to hear your thougths re te'o here.

didnt know you too like some florida.

i'm from fl (relocated after growing up in n.e.). why i root for sec and fla teams in college fball

agree on usc having some good wrs. i hear you on seeign on how nd stacks up there.

thoughts on todays game, team as a whole, josh mcd gamecalling, bb's coaching/and stubborness, future draft (what youd like, what you think bb might do), will we get a f.a. safety or cb, your thoery on why bb wont hire top league coaches and coordinators (ive already wighed in).

nice chatting with you here today.

peace

[/QUOTE]

Nice to see both Dennard and Dowling flash some ball skills tonight, they weren't perfect, but progress is progress... hope it continues.  No idea what the appeal is with coaches that have little to no high level experience or background, maybe he see's himself in some of these guys, IDK.

RE: The Draft... move up and get an impact defender (Werner or Montgomery or Milliner or John Jenkins, etc.)... they showed a willingness to move up last season, now that the rookie salary cap has been implemented... early returns are positive with Chandler, which may make the more willing to keep this trend going vs. simply looking for value at every spot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriot-fan-74. Show patriot-fan-74's posts

[QUOTE]

@HC,

It's a good question... I'll start by saying, for all the talk last year about Barron and how he was overrated due to the lack of overall depth in the 2012 S draft class, I'd still take him over any safety in this class as well.

I look forward to watching more 2012 tape on Reid, as the more I watch of his 2011 tape, the more he looks like more of an athlete with hitting ability than a pure football player... the natural talent and movement ability is undeniable, but I'm seeing too many missed tackles and bad angles. 

When I watch Elam on tape, I'd compare him (from a size/speed/physicality/aggression standpoint) favorably to Patrick Chung, though I think he's a much better cover guy.  He's used a lot as a nickel/slot cover guy (an area where Chung struggles), moves well in the short area... has solid awareness and will make a play on the football.  He's also a very good run defender, very physical... and while he can miss some tackles, he's often breaks down and is in good position to make a play.  His value to the Gators is clear as he's moved around quite a bit, blitzes often off the edge (not that NE would do any of that), plays with good technique and looks assignment sound and always seems to be around the football... he looks to be more of a finished product than Reid.

Given my choice on 10/15/12, I'd take Elam over Reid.

I do look forward to watching more S tape on this class though, which includes McDonald, Lester, Jefferson and Vaccaro, etc.

[/QUOTE]

I was wondering what you thought about another Alabama safety..Robert Lester?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Lester was a 2nd round maybe sneaking into late 1st round last year and this year he might have taken a step back. To me he's a late 2nd early 3rd round guy and that's about his ceiling, which is sad because he looked like he had so much upside last year, but so far his performance this year shows it wasn't so much upside as it was ceiling playing with Barron next to him. Given our coaching staff I'm not sure I'd target Lester at this point as without the right staff what you are seeing out of him gives him limited upside imo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lester was a 2nd round maybe sneaking into late 1st round last year and this year he might have taken a step back. To me he's a late 2nd early 3rd round guy and that's about his ceiling, which is sad because he looked like he had so much upside last year, but so far his performance this year shows it wasn't so much upside as it was ceiling playing with Barron next to him. Given our coaching staff I'm not sure I'd target Lester at this point as without the right staff what you are seeing out of him gives him limited upside imo

[/QUOTE]

That's about where I have him as well, top 75 with some Rd 2 upside.

If this continues, I don't know how he doesn't gut the secondary portion of his staff (Boyer/Flores) and or review/revise their process for identifying/drafting/developing secondary talent.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to patriot-fan-74's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

@HC,

It's a good question... I'll start by saying, for all the talk last year about Barron and how he was overrated due to the lack of overall depth in the 2012 S draft class, I'd still take him over any safety in this class as well.

I look forward to watching more 2012 tape on Reid, as the more I watch of his 2011 tape, the more he looks like more of an athlete with hitting ability than a pure football player... the natural talent and movement ability is undeniable, but I'm seeing too many missed tackles and bad angles. 

When I watch Elam on tape, I'd compare him (from a size/speed/physicality/aggression standpoint) favorably to Patrick Chung, though I think he's a much better cover guy.  He's used a lot as a nickel/slot cover guy (an area where Chung struggles), moves well in the short area... has solid awareness and will make a play on the football.  He's also a very good run defender, very physical... and while he can miss some tackles, he's often breaks down and is in good position to make a play.  His value to the Gators is clear as he's moved around quite a bit, blitzes often off the edge (not that NE would do any of that), plays with good technique and looks assignment sound and always seems to be around the football... he looks to be more of a finished product than Reid.

Given my choice on 10/15/12, I'd take Elam over Reid.

I do look forward to watching more S tape on this class though, which includes McDonald, Lester, Jefferson and Vaccaro, etc.

[/QUOTE]

I was wondering what you thought about another Alabama safety..Robert Lester?

[/QUOTE]

Day 2 kids, should be top 75, with some Rd 2 upside.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Whatever we do, it has to be as close to a slam dunk as possible. Again, I am in favor of picking as high as we can and don't want to see us trade out or down. 

Do we all see BB going defense again with his first couple of picks? 

Looking at the offense I still see a need for an athletic receiver and some olinemen. I would really like to see the pats finally get a WR that can separate. Every team seems to have it excepT us. Again, not talking about te's and rb's. Lloyd has been all right, but we need some more. I don't see branch coming back and I don't see Edelman as that guy! Nor Hernandez! Nor Wes even if we resign him. Our te's should be quite good with Ballard back. Gronk and he should be beasts together, but still looking for an athletic WR that can stretch and play the sidelines...perhaps just tired of us giving up 20 yard plays and ready for us to make a few. 

Whether we draft a de or DT, my number one requirement is a kid that cit put pressure on the QB. I don't care if it comes inside or out...although truth be told I wOuld like to see it come out as I believe we can use spikes, Hightower and mayo to generate it inside when called..just call it a bit more.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Whatever we do, it has to be as close to a slam dunk as possible. Again, I am in favor of picking as high as we can and don't want to see us trade out or down. 

Looking at the offense I still see a need for an athletic receiver and some olinemen. I would really like to see the pats finally get a WR that can separate. Every team seems to have it excepT us. Again, not talking about te's and rb's. Lloyd has been all right, but we need some more. I don't see branch coming back and I don't see Edelman as that guy! Nor Hernandez! Nor Wes even if we resign him. Our te's should be quite good with Ballard back. Gronk and he should be beasts together, but still looking for an athletic WR that can stretch and play the sidelines...perhaps just tired of us giving up 20 yard plays and ready for us to make a few. 

Whether we draft a de or DT, my number one requirement is a kid that cit put pressure on the QB. I don't care if it comes inside or out...although truth be told I wOuld like to see it come out as I believe we can use spikes, Hightower and mayo to generate it inside when called..just call it a bit more.

[/QUOTE]

I do think it's either D or OL with the first couple picks.

Welker and Edelman are both FA's after the season I believe and I don't see how they let Welker walk unless they plan to backfill him with Danny Amendola... I don't think Edelman should be a priority... decent depth player, but he is what he is.  I also don't see them throwing huge coin at a Mike Wallace or Greg Jennings or Dwayne Bowe type... though the latter would prob come at the best value.  Bottom line, I think they need to bring Welker back... he's too important to the offense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's about where I have him as well, top 75 with some Rd 2 upside.

If this continues, I don't know how he doesn't gut the secondary portion of his staff (Boyer/Flores) and or review/revise their process for identifying/drafting/developing secondary talent.

[/QUOTE]

now that is an understatement and of something ive been piping about (to moslty attacking detractorrs)  since ive been on this board. glad to hear you say it. sorry that it's true.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"Looking at the offense I still see a need for an athletic receiver and some olinemen. I would really like to see the pats finally get a WR that can separate. Every team seems to have it excepT us"

wrote about that yeserday (speeratign wr) and what it would do for the whole offense.

we have to do the db in fa (10 mil per year or not).  we need a top gun out there. there is zero confidence they can identify a top cb or safety and the line def and off is a need that has to be filled. 

espn worte today thay our cbs woudl be cut by any other teram. i dotn knwo about that, certainly any good team.

try this on:

Teams have thrown 64 passes 16 or more yards downfield against the Patriots, the most against any team in the NFL. And they’ve been successful 45 percent of the time. 

nearly 1 out of 2 long  passes

pace for a record odf successful 20 plus yard targets.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

SHOULD BE YES.

Welker and Edelman are both FA's after the season I believe and I don't see how they let Welker walk unless they plan to backfill him with Danny Amendola... I don't think Edelman should be a priority... decent depth player, but he is what he is.  I also don't see them throwing huge coin at a Mike Wallace or Greg Jennings or Dwayne Bowe type... though the latter would prob come at the best value.  Bottom line, I think they need to bring Welker back... he's too important to the offense.

I SEE IT TEH SAME. 

THIS OFFENSE CANT DO CRAP WITHOUT WELKER. (AND IT SEEMS BB HATES THAT). I DONT THINK IT SHOULD BE THE CASE BUT IS..

MB AND OTHERS, THE ONE GLARING THING I HAVE ALSO BEEN PIPING ABOUT THAT I DONT SEE YOU CONCLUDING, THAT JOSH WILL BE THE DOWNFALL OF THIS TEAM CALLING THE OFFENSE ALL YEAR. WHAT HES SHOWN ME IN THESE GAMES IS THAT HES ABOUT 33% AAS EFFECTIVE AS A TOP OC WOULD BE WITH THIS TALENT WE HAVE. KNOWING BB'S TENDENCIES, I DONT SEE THIS GETTTING ADDRESSED THIS YEAR, IF EVER.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

SHOULD BE YES.

I SEE IT TEH SAME. 

THIS OFFENSE CANT DO CRAP WITHOUT WELKER. (AND IT SEEMS BB HATES THAT). I DONT THINK IT SHOULD BE THE CASE BUT IS..

MB AND OTHERS, THE ONE GLARING THING I HAVE ALSO BEEN PIPING ABOUT THAT I DONT SEE YOU CONCLUDING, THAT JOSH WILL BE THE DOWNFALL OF THIS TEAM CALLING THE OFFENSE ALL YEAR. WHAT HES SHOWN ME IN THESE GAMES IS THAT HES ABOUT 33% AAS EFFECTIVE AS A TOP OC WOULD BE WITH THIS TALENT WE HAVE. KNOWING BB'S TENDENCIES, I DONT SEE THIS GETTTING ADDRESSED THIS YEAR, IF EVER.

[/QUOTE]

The way I look at it, if he's not willing to make a relatively minor change by whacking coaching assistants like Boyer/Flores, who coach the weakest part of the team, he's certainly not going to make changes to a coordinator that manages the best part of his team.

I'm not one that's calling for McD's head, but he does make some curious play calls (Woody over left tackle on 3 and 2, for example) and I also think he's guilty of over-analyzation and maybe outsmarting himself, but their offense is effective for the most part... and still one of the better units in the NFL... ranking at or near the top in most major offensive catagories.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

SHOULD BE YES.

I SEE IT TEH SAME. 

[/QUOTE]

The way I look at it, if he's not willing to make a relatively minor change by whacking coaching assistants like Boyer/Flores, who coach the weakest part of the team, he's certainly not going to make changes to a coordinator that manages the best part of his team.

I'm not one that's calling for McD's head, but he does make some curious play calls (Woody over left tackle on 3 and 2, for example) and I also think he's guilty of over-analyzation and maybe outsmarting himself, but their offense is effective for the most part... and still one of the better units in the NFL... ranking at or near the top in most major offensive catagories.

[/QUOTE]

indeed and with the toolls we have, a monkey could run it. when i watcha game, what i see is calls and sequences of calls that build up in a game that cost the game, poor game management, etc. 

i see us at getting about 30-40 some % out of our offense (including perf/execution gaffs, etc) what the best oc. in the league could/would do (with our offense). yeah i dont expect bb to do anythign in season or out of season i guess was my point. 

thanks for your shake on the the issue.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Watchlist updated 10/22!

Sections
Shortcuts