***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

Been catching up with the thread. Appreciate everyones input and the entertainment this draft talk provides. A few thoughts:

I started out the year hoping for Barret Jones as our potential first round pick due to his versatility ( one of the rare guys that can play all 5 positions on the line at a high level) but seeing the Job that guys like Nick Macdonald, Donald Thomas, Ryan Wendell and Marcus Cannon have done it leads me to believe that this guys have merited an opportunity to keep playing next year. I havent even mentioned a guy like Matt Kopa who Dante spoke glowingly of prior to the Super Bowl but whose season has been derailed by injuries. Markus Zusevics is another guy who played well in Iowa for Ferentz opposite Riley Reiff and Im keen to see what he can do at RT. At this point, I would rather they keep working with the guys they have whether or not Vollmer is resigned.

Regarding Safety, I have professed my love for Kenny Vaccaro in the past but I struggle to see whether he can make a difference playing deep safety early on in his career. He could definately make an impact playing close to the line of scrimmage like Chung used to but we already have that guy in Tavon Wilson. If anything, I would rather make a bid on a veteran Free Safety such as Jairus Byrd than use a high pick on a FS that will take 2 or so yrs to settle in that position. FS is an incredibly difficult position to play at a high level. There arent many perenially great FSs playing in the league.

Presently, my ideal and realistic selections would be DT Jesse Williams in the First. DE Margus Hunt in the Second and The Best available perimeter WR in the 3rd. Kenny Tate and Tyrann Mathieu might slip to Alfonzo Dennard levels where I hope we could scoop them up. Tate due to injury and Mathieu for behavioral stuff.

Apologies for the long post.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to speedster81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Been catching up with the thread. Appreciate everyones input and the entertainment this draft talk provides. A few thoughts:

I started out the year hoping for Barret Jones as our potential first round pick due to his versatility ( one of the rare guys that can play all 5 positions on the line at a high level) but seeing the Job that guys like Nick Macdonald, Donald Thomas, Ryan Wendell and Marcus Cannon have done it leads me to believe that this guys have merited an opportunity to keep playing next year. I havent even mentioned a guy like Matt Kopa who Dante spoke glowingly of prior to the Super Bowl but whose season has been derailed by injuries. Markus Zusevics is another guy who played well in Iowa for Ferentz opposite Riley Reiff and Im keen to see what he can do at RT. At this point, I would rather they keep working with the guys they have whether or not Vollmer is resigned.

Regarding Safety, I have professed my love for Kenny Vaccaro in the past but I struggle to see whether he can make a difference playing deep safety early on in his career. He could definately make an impact playing close to the line of scrimmage like Chung used to but we already have that guy in Tavon Wilson. If anything, I would rather make a bid on a veteran Free Safety such as Jairus Byrd than use a high pick on a FS that will take 2 or so yrs to settle in that position. FS is an incredibly difficult position to play at a high level. There arent many perenially great FSs playing in the league.

Presently, my ideal and realistic selections would be DT Jesse Williams in the First. DE Margus Hunt in the Second and The Best available perimeter WR in the 3rd. Kenny Tate and Tyrann Mathieu might slip to Alfonzo Dennard levels where I hope we could scoop them up. Tate due to injury and Mathieu for behavioral stuff.

[/QUOTE]

1st of all welcome to the board!  I like your draft and we shall see what happens closer to the draft. Hopefully hunt will still be available in the 2nd and mathieu will still be a low round pick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Tyrann Mathiew to declare for the draft:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/tyrann-mathieu-college-career-officially-coming-close-ll-174212899--ncaaf.html

[/QUOTE]

hey mb, i predicted that here after his last bust. venture the rd he will go in?

[/QUOTE]

As far as NE is concerned, late round option (5-7) due to the missed time and off field issues.

[/QUOTE]

I think the highest round he would go based on his combine performance would be 4th round due to the character flaws, and potential drug issues.  I think realistically he will be taken in the 5-6th round. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/tyrann-mathieu-college-career-officially-coming-close-ll-174212899--ncaaf.html

[/QUOTE]

hey mb, i predicted that here after his last bust. venture the rd he will go in?

[/QUOTE]

As far as NE is concerned, late round option (5-7) due to the missed time and off field issues.

[/QUOTE]

I think the highest round he would go based on his combine performance would be 4th round due to the character flaws, and potential drug issues.  I think realistically he will be taken in the 5-6th round. 

[/QUOTE]

hey nate, a lot of people here said th esame thing about jenkins. i hoped hed make it to mid second, but thought he would be picked end of rd 1 to 2.

mathieu i think will be picked between 2nd and 3rd rd, end of 7th (or even udfa) would be lovely :)

why did i say that abotu jenkins and mathieu, because i think some team wont risk losing what he could be to their team (his upside). he has several unique talents.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Agree with MBs points on the Honey Badger. I might also add that other DBs have a emerged as legit day one players, Matheiu is small at 5'7 (if you line him up against Johnson Andre or Calvin who wins that battle), he has value as a return man, and the NFL is littered with castaways who were great college players.

3rd or 4th is about the highest I'll go, but he could kill it at the combine (can he be invited?) or private workouts and improve his draft stock.  Seems to me this kid had a sub- 4.5 40. Haven't seen him lately....could be he put on 20lbs in the wrong places.

I see him as being one of those "hes a great football player, someone will find a position for him".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

mb, what do you mean "as far as ne is concerned?" my question was when do you think he will be taken. did you answer where ne would be tempted to take him?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to speedster81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

first rule, never apolgize for giviing us good stuff (the longer or the more, the better:)

hunt and williams were brought up early from a few guys here. im on board if we cant get the 1a dt and 1a de. wr is also a need as in a big seperation guy. who is it here? that mentioned frederick in the 3rd as an option. i like top dt, stud pass rsuhing de, and c/g who can win in the pass and the run. wr is my 4th option (ie 7th rd or udfa).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

hey nate, a lot of people here said th esame thing about jenkins. i hoped hed make it to mid second, but thought he would be picked end of rd 1 to 2.

mathieu i think will be picked between 2nd and 3rd rd, end of 7th (or even udfa) would be lovely :)

why did i say that abotu jenkins and mathieu, because i think some team wont risk losing what he could be to their team (his upside). he has several unique talents.

[/QUOTE]

http://nfl.si.com/2012/11/29/honey-badger-declares-for-nfl-draft-what-are-tyrann-mathieus-prospects/?sct=hp_t2_a16&eref=sihp

"At 5-foot-9 and 175 pounds, Mathieu lacks the prototypical size of an elite cornerback. Any team that selects him also may have to adjust its defensive playbook — Mathieu thrived at LSU, in part, because the coaching staff did not hesitate to use him all over the secondary. Mathieu even slid up as a linebacker to rush the quarterback at times."

Linebacker!!!  I think some team will grab him by the 4th.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[/QUOTE]

http://nfl.si.com/2012/11/29/honey-badger-declares-for-nfl-draft-what-are-tyrann-mathieus-prospects/?sct=hp_t2_a16&eref=sihp

"At 5-foot-9 and 175 pounds, Mathieu lacks the prototypical size of an elite cornerback. Any team that selects him also may have to adjust its defensive playbook — Mathieu thrived at LSU, in part, because the coaching staff did not hesitate to use him all over the secondary. Mathieu even slid up as a linebacker to rush the quarterback at times."

[/QUOTE]

how many 5'9 linebackers who weigh 175 have you heard of in the NFL?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Jenkins is a more talented player than Mathieu, IMO, which is the difference.  Mathieu certainly has some ability and is a scrappy/gritty type player, but I think he's relegated to more slot coverage only at the NFL level, where I think Jenkins has shut down CB ability on the outside or inside.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

mb, what do you mean "as far as ne is concerned?" my question was when do you think he will be taken. did you answer where ne would be tempted to take him?

[/QUOTE]

I answered the question, I think they'd be interested in Rds 5-7.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He could prob be utilized in some sort of exotic CB blitz or creatively as a 9 tech, but an NFL team would love to see Mathieu lined up at LB so they could run right at him... or even attack him with a TE in the pass game.  Tough kid, gritty/scrappy as I posted in an earlier response, but clearly outmanned at the LB position at the NFL level.  Kid has made some pretty dumb decisions, but I do love his play on the field and is a kid that I'd love to see them bring in in the later rounds, where their risk is minimized.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I answered the question, I think they'd be interested in Rds 5-7.

[/QUOTE]

thanks for clraifying. i actually ddi not understand what you meant initially

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Jenkins is a more talented player than Mathieu, IMO, which is the difference.  Mathieu certainly has some ability and is a scrappy/gritty type player, but I think he's relegated to more slot coverage only at the NFL level, where I think Jenkins has shut down CB ability on the outside or inside.

[/QUOTE]

nice take. my opinon is that with the cover ability he has demonstrated, the ball hawking, and the special teams play combined he is quite valuable (on th field) . would i love it if he were taller, bigger, heavier yeah. but besides covering, he is a threat to take any ball he touches to the house.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Missoure DL, Sheldon Richardson to declare for the draft:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/30/sheldon-richardson-leaving-mizzou-after-two-years-for-nfl/

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

Missoure DL, Sheldon Richardson to declare for the draft:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/30/sheldon-richardson-leaving-mizzou-after-two-years-for-nfl/

[/QUOTE]

saw that. thanks for keeping us all up to date

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

how many 5'9 linebackers who weigh 175 have you heard of in the NFL?

[/QUOTE]

Hey Nate, was not highlighting his linebacker skills.  Was surprised he would even be used in that position. I just think a team will have to adapt to him.  IMO, that is an issue. Some team will grab him if that can maximize his talents. My guess again would be in the 4th or 5th rd, if he is clean.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'll be interested to see if Stanford OLB/DE Trent Murphy (6-6 261) declares for the draft (RS junior)... Elite size and length, rugged/physical/smart kid (as most recent Stanford kids are), excellent run defender that can set the edge and can really make plays behind the LOS (9.5 sacks / 17 TFL on the season).  Def a kid to watch and someone that I'll be adding to my Bid 32 Board Stack.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

well draft experts... here's a challenge for you.

do you see any kickers that bb should check out? i really think ghost has missed too many. those misses could set a bad tone early for the pats on difficult games.

he's really not a good enough kicker.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

do you see any kickers that bb should check out? i really think ghost has missed too many. those misses could set a bad tone early for the pats on difficult games.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not an expert but I think they should look at Hopkins on Florida State.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

no need to draft a kicker. enough free agents around the country.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not an expert but I think they should look at Hopkins on Florida State.

[/QUOTE]

The same name came (hey, that rhymes) to my mind as well, kid has a real good leg.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

no need to draft a kicker. enough free agents around the country.

[/QUOTE]

BB has shown a real willingness to draft players with impact potential in the kicking game (Gostkowski Rd 4-2006 / Mesko Rd 5-2010, etc.), so it's very possible that he could do so again.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejb222. Show ejb222's posts

I don't think they should draft a kicker. If Gost can be consistent in the playoffs, he stays. I think he stays either way, but if he is unnoticed in the playoffs or even kicks a game winner, it seals him for next year. Lets focus OL and DB

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to ejb222's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think they should draft a kicker. If Gost can be consistent in the playoffs, he stays. I think he stays either way, but if he is unnoticed in the playoffs or even kicks a game winner, it seals him for next year. Lets focus OL and DB

[/QUOTE]

It's certainly a wait and see approach, but his performance to date this season warrants concern.

Sections
Shortcuts