***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to ricky12684's comment:

Bowling Green DT Chris Jones 6'1'' 293lbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4fQCKf2SxM

Bowling Green coach Dave Clawson estimates that half of the NFL teams have been to Falcon practices so far this late summer. The other half will be by any day now.

Scouts are intrigued by a guy who is 6-foot-1, but seems taller; who is 293 pounds, but seems lighter; who plays defensive tackle, but more like a very mobile, agile end.

Heading into his senior year at BG, Jones has 27 tackles for loss and 15 1/2 sacks. Like we said, those are rush end numbers, maybe an outside linebacker in a blitz-heavy package.

As a tackle, Jones is about the most disruptive force Clawson has ever seen in the middle of any line.

He said his fastest time in the 40-yard dash is five-seconds flat.

"I probably should have said 4.6," he said, laughing. "But there's that speed and then there's game speed. That's when the motor revs up."

Game speed and strength are his primary assets. Jones' weight-room numbers are staggering -- squat lift, 665 pounds, school record; clean lift, 380 pounds, school record; bench press, 415 pounds; three-lift total, an almost-unheard-of 1,460 pounds, school record.

"Weight room, practice field … his capacity to work is as good as any player I've ever been around," Clawson said. "And it's every day. There are guys who have the capacity to work but maybe not great talent, there are talented players who don't have that capacity to work, and then there are a select few players like Chris who are a combination of the two. It's what separates him."

http://www.toledoblade.com/DaveHackenberg/2012/08/27/Disruptive-describes-BG-s-Jones.html

"almost-unheard-of 1,460 pounds, school record."

almost unheard of, really? that is light for a guy that big. very light.

im sure the guy is strong but a triple lift total of 1460 for a near 300 pound guy is nothinig to brag about.

that said, hearing the description of the  football performance, id love to see some film against a top o line

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Bowling Green coach Dave Clawson estimates that half of the NFL teams have been to Falcon practices so far this late summer. The other half will be by any day now.

Scouts are intrigued by a guy who is 6-foot-1, but seems taller; who is 293 pounds, but seems lighter; who plays defensive tackle, but more like a very mobile, agile end.

Heading into his senior year at BG, Jones has 27 tackles for loss and 15 1/2 sacks. Like we said, those are rush end numbers, maybe an outside linebacker in a blitz-heavy package.

As a tackle, Jones is about the most disruptive force Clawson has ever seen in the middle of any line.

"I probably should have said 4.6," he said, laughing. "But there's that speed and then there's game speed. That's when the motor revs up."

Game speed and strength are his primary assets. Jones' weight-room numbers are staggering -- squat lift, 665 pounds, school record; clean lift, 380 pounds, school record; bench press, 415 pounds; three-lift total, an almost-unheard-of 1,460 pounds, school record.

"Weight room, practice field … his capacity to work is as good as any player I've ever been around," Clawson said. "And it's every day. There are guys who have the capacity to work but maybe not great talent, there are talented players who don't have that capacity to work, and then there are a select few players like Chris who are a combination of the two. It's what separates him."

http://www.toledoblade.com/DaveHackenberg/2012/08/27/Disruptive-describes-BG-s-Jones.html

This guy is too small for BB.  He doesn't take D under 6'3" and 300 lbs.  He sounds like an intriguing find though, maybe if he is available in the later rounds.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Curious to see if he'll perform LB drills at the combine.  Kid doesn't project as a good fit for NE's scheme as a tackle, unless they're able to scoop him up in the late rounds as a sub-package type, but might be intriguing as a "Jumbo" OLB/Rush end... though the length certainly isn't there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

finally a mock, nepatsdraft has pats taking ansah at 28.

would you make that move there?

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/12/2013-nfl-mock-draft-james-christensen-1218.html/2

nepats has ansah and short in first 2 rounds. if that happened and frederick in the 3rd, i could not complain.

I have a few players higher on my board, but would be happy with Ansah in Rd 1, yes.

Would be happy with any of the following:

DT- Jesse Williams

S- Matt Elam

DE/OLB- Ziggy Ansah

DE/OLB- Alex Okafor

OG- Jonathan Cooper

OL- Barrett Jones

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/12/2013-nfl-mock-draft-james-christensen-1218.html/2

nepats has ansah and short in first 2 rounds. if that happened and frederick in the 3rd, i could not complain.

I have a few players higher on my board, but would be happy with Ansah in Rd 1, yes.

DT- Jesse Williams

S- Matt Elam

DE/OLB- Ziggy Ansah

DE/OLB- Alex Okafor

OG- Jonathan Cooper

OL- Barrett Jones

why cooper, why not the greater versatility of jones.

said youd be happy with that in 1; what about the 2 nd 3 in that mock

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

DT- Jesse Williams

S- Matt Elam

DE/OLB- Ziggy Ansah

DE/OLB- Alex Okafor

OG- Jonathan Cooper

OL- Barrett Jones

Not sure what you're asking, I said I'd be happy with any of the (6) above.

I'd take Elam over Short (too many questions about this kid's motor) on that mock board... didn't see a Rd 3.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Smith for the Vikings is quietly having a very good year. I read his stats every week, and he is always at the top in tackles, especially unassisted ones. Just what a Safety is suppose to do. Last week he had 10 tackles, 9 unassisted. You could see a good Football Player.

Certainly is... I think many were underrating him last year and chalking it up to a "weak safety class"... I think this kid would be getting Rd 1 consideration in this class as well as he has everything you want in a safety... size/speed/movement ability/intelligence/physicality/versatility, etc...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Happy Thursday, my first day of Christmas vaca!

Below are a 10 random 2013 Draft thoughts:

1.  UNC OG Jonathan Cooper is the best player that no one is talking about and I'm considering moving him up to my Top 3 Rd 1 options on my next board stack.  He was one of the more enjoyable players to watch on tape (hope to see more) and that says a lot coming form an OG.  Very good size, excellent feet and balance, uses his hands/punches well, easily gets to the 2nd level to take defenders out and caves/walls/mirrors his man on almost every play… a very good finisher.  He's also excellent pulling and in space... makes the game look very easy, IMO.

2.  Production doesn’t meet reputation… for all the talk about Barkevious Mingo being a top 10-15 pick, this kid only has 4 sacks and 5.5 TFL this season.

3.  My biggest 180 from previous years... I actually like (2) UNC players and (1) USC kid... part of that is a new HC in Chapel Hill that really has those kids playing well.

4.  Two players that are awesome fits for what NE likes to do offensively, but likely won’t be targeted due to projected team depth:  1. ND TE Tyler Eifert and Alabama RB Eddie Lacy.  Eifert is that big, long versatile TE that can impact flexed out or inline while Lacy is just a big, athletic banger of a tailback.

5.  Two defensive player that don’t have ideal size, but project as very good NFL players... BYU OLB Kyle Van Noy 6-3 235 (only a junior),  Rutgers OLB Khaseem Greene 6-1 230.

6.  Biggest fall from grace… NC St CB David Amerson.  Was projected as a potential Top 10 pick after last years monster campaign where he generated 13 INT… but this year, while still generating 5 INT’s had some rough games, particularly vs. Tenn that saw him getting beat quite often.  Now, the kid still has a good combo of size and athleticism and looks like a good kid off the field, but he’s gone from Top 10 to prob late Day 2 and there have been talks about a move to S.

7.  Positions that project the most talent and depth in this class?  CB/S/long DE/OLB hybrids.

8.  Positions that project the least talent/depth in this class?  C/OG, which could make landing a kid on Cooper or Barrett Jones in Rd 1 a real value.  

9.  “Pop Player”… a player that I’d never heard of that “Popped” while watching tape on other players.  BYU CB Preston Hadley (6-0 200)… I was watching tape of Ziggy Ansah and Kyle Van Noy and this kid caught my eye… good size, moves well, very aggressive, always seems to be around the action… could be a decent late round find for some team.

10.  Player with the coolest name… it’s prob between ND LB Manti Te’o, Utah DT Star Lotulelei, FSU DE Tank Carradine (Cornellius), Oregon LB Kiko Alonso, Iowa State QB Steele Jantz, or WVU WR Stedman Bailey.

Bonus:

Player with the funniest name, St Augustine WR Tyron Laughinghouse (this is his real name).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

There's either a lot less interest in the draft this year, or the changes to the board features have driven a lot of the regulars away.  Either way, bummer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

DT- Jesse Williams

S- Matt Elam

DE/OLB- Ziggy Ansah

DE/OLB- Alex Okafor

OG- Jonathan Cooper

OL- Barrett Jones

I'd take Elam over Short (too many questions about this kid's motor) on that mock board... didn't see a Rd 3.

i posted thier picks  in 1, 2 and 3. wondered if you thought thsoe picks were good.

thanks for your thouughts above

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

DT- Jesse Williams

S- Matt Elam

DE/OLB- Ziggy Ansah

DE/OLB- Alex Okafor

OG- Jonathan Cooper

OL- Barrett Jones

i posted thier picks  in 1, 2 and 3. wondered if you thought thsoe picks were good.

thanks for your thouughts above

Curious to see if Travis Frederick will declare as he's currently rated by NFL Draft Scout as the #1 C for the 2014 class.  I'm not able to find any 2012 tape on him, but reports are positive... big road grader type... could be one of, if not the heaviest C in the NFL at 338 pounds.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

So I've posted my board, I'm curious of everyone's Top 10 (or how ever many you have) offensive and defensive players for Day's 1 and 2 of the 2013 draft?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

So I've posted my board, I'm curious of everyone's Top 10 (or how ever many you have) offensive and defensive players for Day's 1 and 2 of the 2013 draft?

Always changing when I get more info on players but with NE picking from 26-32  in the first and 58-64 in the second, I have the following list (players I think will be still available) in those ranges irregardless of position or NE team need:

1st Rd 26-32

Xavier Rhodes Florida State CB Jordan Poyer Oregon State CB David Amerson North Carolina St CB Ezekiel Ansah Brigham Young DE43       Sharrif Floyd Florida DT43 Sylvester Williams North Carolina DT43 Jesse Williams Alabama DT34 Eric Reid LSU FS Arthur Brown Kansas State OLB43 Matt Barkley USC QB Tyler Wilson Arkansas QB Landry Jones Oklahoma QB Giovani Bernard North Carolina RBF D.J. Fluker Alabama ROT Jake Matthews Texas A&M ROT Alec Ogletree Georgia SILB Tyler Eifert Notre Dame TE DeAndre Hopkins Clemson WR Robert Woods USC WR Justin Hunter Tennessee WR

2nd round 58-64

Lane Johnson Oklahoma LOT John Simon Ohio State DE43 Cyril Richardson Baylor OG Kevin Minter LSU SILB Andre Ellington Clemson RBC Desmond Trufant Washington CB Larry Warford Kentucky OG Margus Hunt SMU DE34 Stepfan Taylor Stanford RBF Oday Aboushi Virginia ROT Aaron Dobson Marshall WRP Kawann Short Purdue DT43 Tyler Bray Tennessee QB Khaseem Greene Rutgers OLB43 Phillip Thomas Fresno State SS Robert Lester Alabama SS

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

Mine is pretty short. Going strictly with who I consider Best Players Available without getting too much into team needs besides obvious positions such as QB and TE. I would be content with any 2 of these in Rounds 1 and 2.

Round 1:

Robert Woods - WR USC (Most pro ready receiver I have seen in a while)

Ziggy Ansah - DE BYU

Margus Hunt - DE SMU

Jonathan Cooper - OG UNC

Round 2:

Jesse Williams - DT Alabama

Leon McFadden - CB SDSU

Blidi Wreh-Wilson   - CB Connecticut

Logan Ryan - CB Rutgers

Sean Porter - OLB Texas A&M. (Good 4-3 Pats OLB and rusher in Sub packages)

Tony Jefferson - S Oklahoma

DJ Swearinger - SS South Carolina

Phillip Thomas - S Fresno State

Travis Frederick - OG/OC Wisconsin

Kyle Van Noy - LB BYU

Tavon Austin - WR WVU

Matt Elam - SS Florida

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Always changing when I get more info on players but with NE picking from 26-32  in the first and 58-64 in the second, I have the following list (players I think will be still available) in those ranges irregardless of position or NE team need:

1st Rd 26-32

Xavier Rhodes Florida State CB Jordan Poyer Oregon State CB David Amerson North Carolina St CB Ezekiel Ansah Brigham Young DE43       Sharrif Floyd Florida DT43 Sylvester Williams North Carolina DT43 Jesse Williams Alabama DT34 Eric Reid LSU FS Arthur Brown Kansas State OLB43 Matt Barkley USC QB Tyler Wilson Arkansas QB Landry Jones Oklahoma QB Giovani Bernard North Carolina RBF D.J. Fluker Alabama ROT Jake Matthews Texas A&M ROT Alec Ogletree Georgia SILB Tyler Eifert Notre Dame TE DeAndre Hopkins Clemson WR Robert Woods USC WR Justin Hunter Tennessee WR

2nd round 58-64

Lane Johnson Oklahoma LOT John Simon Ohio State DE43 Cyril Richardson Baylor OG Kevin Minter LSU SILB Andre Ellington Clemson RBC Desmond Trufant Washington CB Larry Warford Kentucky OG Margus Hunt SMU DE34 Stepfan Taylor Stanford RBF Oday Aboushi Virginia ROT Aaron Dobson Marshall WRP Kawann Short Purdue DT43 Tyler Bray Tennessee QB Khaseem Greene Rutgers OLB43 Phillip Thomas Fresno State SS Robert Lester Alabama SS

Nice, any of those kids in particular that are high on your want list?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to speedster81's comment:

Mine is pretty short. Going strictly with who I consider Best Players Available without getting too much into team needs besides obvious positions such as QB and TE. I would be content with any 2 of these in Rounds 1 and 2.

Round 1:

Robert Woods - WR USC (Most pro ready receiver I have seen in a while)

Ziggy Ansah - DE BYU

Margus Hunt - DE SMU

Jonathan Cooper - OG UNC

Round 2:

Jesse Williams - DT Alabama

Leon McFadden - CB SDSU

Blidi Wreh-Wilson   - CB Connecticut

Logan Ryan - CB Rutgers

Sean Porter - OLB Texas A&M. (Good 4-3 Pats OLB and rusher in Sub packages)

Tony Jefferson - S Oklahoma

DJ Swearinger - SS South Carolina

Phillip Thomas - S Fresno State

Travis Frederick - OG/OC Wisconsin

Kyle Van Noy - LB BYU

Tavon Austin - WR WVU

Matt Elam - SS Florida

Thanks Speed, who are your Top 3 per round based on your lists abov or are they stacked in your order of preference?  The difficult part for me with creating a Top 32 is, there are more kids that I'm interested, but the list forces me to dive deeper into each player to compile just the players that interest me the most... of course it can change like the NE weather when more info/tape becomes available.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

1st Rd 26-32

2nd round 58-64

Lane Johnson Oklahoma LOT John Simon Ohio State DE43 Cyril Richardson Baylor OG Kevin Minter LSU SILB Andre Ellington Clemson RBC Desmond Trufant Washington CB Larry Warford Kentucky OG Margus Hunt SMU DE34 Stepfan Taylor Stanford RBF Oday Aboushi Virginia ROT Aaron Dobson Marshall WRP Kawann Short Purdue DT43 Tyler Bray Tennessee QB Phillip Thomas Fresno State SS Robert Lester Alabama SS  Khaseem Greene Rutgers OLB43     /QUOTE]

Nice, any of those kids in particular that are high on your want list? in bold

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

BYU vs. San Diego St on ESPN right now... trying to focus on BYU's Ziggy Ansah (DL #47), Kyle Van Noy (LB #3) and Preston Hadley (CB #7)... SDSU's Leon McFadden (CB #2).

McFadden made a nice play on a screen attempt, closing quickly on the play to break it up.

Ansah doesn't look explosive to me, looks almost gassed and it's early in the 2nd QTR.  Hope to see him pick it up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

BYU has Ansah playing primarily on the inside... while he won't be playing there much in the NFL, it can only help to build up his tougness and ability vs. the run.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

BYU vs. San Diego St on ESPN right now... trying to focus on BYU's Ziggy Ansah (DL #47), Kyle Van Noy (LB #3) and Preston Hadley (CB #7)... SDSU's Leon McFadden (CB #2).

McFadden made a nice play on a screen attempt, closing quickly on the play to break it up.

Ansah doesn't look explosive to me, looks almost gassed and it's early in the 2nd QTR.  Hope to see him pick it up.

I could be mistaken but I think McFadden has had double digit pass break up numbers each year during his college career. Regarding my top 3 for rounds 1 and 2, I would probably say in order of preference Robert Woods, Hunt and Ansah in rounds 1. In 2, I would probably say Jesse Williams, Leon McFadden and Travis Frederick.

Im bummed that I couldnt watch the game tonight. Appreciate the updates. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to speedster81's comment:

I could be mistaken but I think McFadden has had double digit pass break up numbers each year during his college career. Regarding my top 3 for rounds 1 and 2, I would probably say in order of preference Robert Woods, Hunt and Ansah in rounds 1. In 2, I would probably say Jesse Williams, Leon McFadden and Travis Frederick.

Im bummed that I couldnt watch the game tonight. Appreciate the updates. 

Pretty close, double digits the last (3) seaons (12, 13, 10 from 2010-2012 respectively)... wow, that's impressive... good find, speed.  I'm gonna have to give this kid a much closer look... looks the part of a 4.4 kid that he's reported to be.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Ansah looks to have more pep in his step in the 2nd half... kids length is a huge asset, has the ability to get his hands on a lot of passes.  Would love to see him get a shot to pin his ears back and bring it off the edge...

BB was using Cunningham as an undersized speed DT this season, so it looks like Ansah could provide value there as well.

Van Noy is just very, very good football player... tone setter for their D.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts