Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***
posted at 12/20/2012 9:42 AM EST
Happy Thursday, my first day of Christmas vaca!
Below are a 10 random 2013 Draft thoughts:
1. UNC OG Jonathan Cooper is the best player that no one is talking about and I'm considering moving him up to my Top 3 Rd 1 options on my next board stack. He was one of the more enjoyable players to watch on tape (hope to see more) and that says a lot coming form an OG. Very good size, excellent feet and balance, uses his hands/punches well, easily gets to the 2nd level to take defenders out and caves/walls/mirrors his man on almost every playâÂ¦ a very good finisher. He's also excellent pulling and in space... makes the game look very easy, IMO.
2. Production doesnât meet reputationâ¦ for all the talk about Barkevious Mingo being a top 10-15 pick, this kid only has 4 sacks and 5.5 TFL this season.
3. My biggest 180 from previous years... I actually like (2) UNC players and (1) USC kid... part of that is a new HC in Chapel Hill that really has those kids playing well.
4. Two players that are awesome fits for what NE likes to do offensively, but likely wonâÂÂt be targeted due to projected team depth: 1. ND TE Tyler Eifert and Alabama RB Eddie Lacy. Eifert is that big, long versatile TE that can impact flexed out or inline while Lacy is just a big, athletic banger of a tailback.
5. Two defensive player that donât have ideal size, but project as very good NFL players... BYU OLB Kyle Van Noy 6-3 235 (only a junior), Rutgers OLB Khaseem Greene 6-1 230.
6. Biggest fall from graceâÂ¦ NC St CB David Amerson. Was projected as a potential Top 10 pick after last years monster campaign where he generated 13 INTâÂ¦ but this year, while still generating 5 INTâÂÂs had some rough games, particularly vs. Tenn that saw him getting beat quite often. Now, the kid still has a good combo of size and athleticism and looks like a good kid off the field, but heâÂÂs gone from Top 10 to prob late Day 2 and there have been talks about a move to S.
7. Positions that project the most talent and depth in this class? CB/S/long DE/OLB hybrids.
8. Positions that project the least talent/depth in this class? C/OG, which could make landing a kid on Cooper or Barrett Jones in Rd 1 a real value.
9. âPop Playerââ¦ a player that Iâd never heard of that âPoppedâ while watching tape on other players. BYU CB Preston Hadley (6-0 200)â¦ I was watching tape of Ziggy Ansah and Kyle Van Noy and this kid caught my eyeâ¦ good size, moves well, very aggressive, always seems to be around the actionâ¦ could be a decent late round find for some team.
10. Player with the coolest nameâÂ¦ itâÂÂs prob between ND LB Manti TeâÂÂo, Utah DT Star Lotulelei, FSU DE Tank Carradine (Cornellius), Oregon LB Kiko Alonso, Iowa State QB Steele Jantz, or WVU WR Stedman Bailey.
Player with the funniest name, St Augustine WR Tyron Laughinghouse (this is his real name).