***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ansah looks to have more pep in his step in the 2nd half... kids length is a huge asset, has the ability to get his hands on a lot of passes.  Would love to see him get a shot to pin his ears back and bring it off the edge...

BB was using Cunningham as an undersized speed DT this season, so it looks like Ansah could provide value there as well.

Van Noy is just very, very good football player... tone setter for their D.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed on Van Noy. He would be a great addition to the Line backing core.Kid is definately a 3 down player. I might actually prefer him to Sean Porter at this point. I am hoping that we can get a backer with good coverage ability in the 3rd. SF did get Bowman a few years ago in the 3rd round after all.

Ansah would be a great LDE here in NE rotating with Ninkovich. However if it came down to him or Woods, I would probably go with Woods and then make a free agent move for Dwight Freeney. Picking woods gives you two elite offensive packages. The current 2 TE combo with Gronk and Hernandez and a really good 3 WR package with Welker, Lloyd and Woods. That kind of versatility makes the job much easier for Brady.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i really like this years WR class. i'm hoping for one of:

terrance williams, tavon austin, robert woods, justin hunter, da'rick rodgers, stedman bailey 

[/QUOTE]

for me, unless we acquire a fa at one or more of these i have to have the pass rushing de adn the c/g first, and stud dt preferably. combine priority with bbs ability to select wrs and dbs, and id go teh free agent/ 7th rouind/ udfa route for dbs and wr. i'll take a big kid who can separate with great hands late over a polished route runner earlier.

i note cbs's new mack both brugler and rang have werner at 2 this week  g-d i hoipe 5 teams reach for a qb in rd 1. 

rang goes elam to pats at 28 with jordan on teh board till 29, brugler is still going austin to pats (and that has to be the most common 1st rd pats pick ive seen in all mocks) with  ansah and cooper on the board.

both now have barrett lasting tilll the 2nd rd

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

what teams can you potentially see going for a qb in the draft (potentially)

me; kc, jax, oakland, if i were cleveland a 2nd option if wheedon doesnt pan out (hes 3rd worse qbr in league just above sanchez), bufflalo, arizona, if i were the bucs, jets are tossing sanchez and tebow, minni needs a backup plan.

if im them, im looking to get a qb, fa or draft or both. 

thoughts..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

heffsports new mock has dt richardson making it to us at 27,.

wr da' Rick rodgers in 2nd 

and s rambo in the 3rd.

thoughts mb, others?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

terrance williams, tavon austin, robert woods, justin hunter, da'rick rodgers, stedman bailey 

[/QUOTE]

Austin and Woods prob profile the best for what BB/McD like to do on offense, attack teams in the short to intermediate areas while picking up additional yardage due to RAC ability.  My wish list at WR in this class on Day 1/2 would prob be:

Austin

Woods

Swope

Bailey

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

i hope this guy come's out and the pats get him in round 3-4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lT4qzh2fYI

http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/player/77/1031283/index.html

[/QUOTE]

:) 

[/QUOTE]

Kid is just a fr!gg!n animal, curious to see if he declares... gonna make some team very happy on draft day if he does.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

for me, unless we acquire a fa at one or more of these i have to have the pass rushing de adn the c/g first, and stud dt preferably. combine priority with bbs ability to select wrs and dbs, and id go teh free agent/ 7th rouind/ udfa route for dbs and wr. i'll take a big kid who can separate with great hands late over a polished route runner earlier.

i note cbs's new mack both brugler and rang have werner at 2 this week  g-d i hoipe 5 teams reach for a qb in rd 1. 

rang goes elam to pats at 28 with jordan on teh board till 29, brugler is still going austin to pats (and that has to be the most common 1st rd pats pick ive seen in all mocks) with  ansah and cooper on the board.

[/QUOTE]

And Rang has Jordan going to SF, like they need more length/pass rush ability on the egde... yikes.  I had removed Jordan from my board on the assumption that he'll be long gone by picks 26-32... will prob keep it that way for now, but may be adding Sam Montgomery to the list as he seems to be dropping a bit in mocks.

I'd be absolutely STOKED to land Elam in Rd 1... I'm telling you, put on the tape, kid is the real deal... he's like an M134 mini gun attached to a military helicopter... locates his target then completely destroys it... hitting anything that moves... def has some Rodney in him, which I love.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

heffsports new mock has dt richardson making it to us at 27,.

wr da' Rick rodgers in 2nd 

and s rambo in the 3rd.

thoughts mb, others?

[/QUOTE]

A lot of talent, but some def day 2 character questions.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And Rang has Jordan going to SF, like they need more length/pass rush ability on the egde... yikes.  I had removed Jordan from my board on the assumption that he'll be long gone by picks 26-32... will prob keep it that way for now, but may be adding Sam Montgomery to the list as he seems to be dropping a bit in mocks.

I'd be absolutely STOKED to land Elam in Rd 1... I'm telling you, put on the tape, kid is the real deal... he's like an M134 mini gun attached to a military helicopter... locates his target then completely destroys it... hitting anything that moves... def has some Rodney in him, which I love.

[/QUOTE]

so youd bypass a potential pass rush demnon for the safety. id try to get byrd or goldson in fa freeing us up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Austin and Woods prob profile the best for what BB/McD like to do on offense, attack teams in the short to intermediate areas while picking up additional yardage due to RAC ability.  My wish list at WR in this class on Day 1/2 would prob be:

Austin

Woods

Swope

Bailey

[/QUOTE]

i would add a big, fast wr with hands (doesnt need route running) late. and keep our short pass cathcers we have (or get fa if need to), addding a threat that opens up the whole offense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

it's a draft with a lot of first round big boy talent on de. when are you going to get another chance to 

put someone next to wilfork / and be there when he ages?

move up in rd 1 to get jenkins, williams or whoever you like.

move from 2 to 1 to get ansah or jordan (unless you prefer hunt)

frederick in rd 3.

7th and udfa big wr (maybe small school, fcs etc) who can cathc, and run down or across the field.

fa safety, medium corner, speedy linebacker

keep or replace welker and vollmer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

[QUOTE]

it's a draft with a lot of first round big boy talent on de. when are you going to get another chance to 

frederick in rd 3.

7th and udfa big wr (maybe small school, fcs etc) who can cathc, and run down or across the field.

[/QUOTE]

Really cooled off on Jenkins. Wouldnt be surprised to see him go the way of Alameda Taamu last year who was deemed as more of a space eating run stuffer and thus fell to the fourth round. Hankins is the guy I would most like with our 1st round pick but I seriously doubt he is still on the board when we pick. Of all the DT's he is the closest to Vince. Very good lateral agility, good strength, can overwhelm guards with his quickness to get into the backfield and can also anchor against the double team. Like Vince, he has also shown the ability to play all across the line.

Jesse Williams I would rather trade out of the 1st and pick him in the second as I believe there are better overall players that could be had at the end of the 1st.

Robert Woods is more than just a slot or short/intermediate area receiver. He has the speed when his ankle is healthy to burn man coverage deep and can also run all the routes. I liken his playing style to that of Reggie Wayne but Woods has better RAC ability and could even play KR/PR in your special teams. He would also be a good 1st round pick.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on Elam! The more I've seen of him over the season the more I like But I also like Motta who like you said is similiar to Harrison Smith who is having a great rookie year

I'm not too high on Montgomery. Seems slow off the snap. If I took a LSU DL it'd be Logan or Mingo but I think he needs more weight on him and needs to work on defending the run

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]

me; kc, jax, oakland, if i were cleveland a 2nd option if wheedon doesnt pan out (hes 3rd worse qbr in league just above sanchez), bufflalo, arizona, if i were the bucs, jets are tossing sanchez and tebow, minni needs a backup plan.

thoughts..

[/QUOTE]

I could see 4 taken in the 1st despite that its not a great QB class. Oakland has no 1st for the Palmer trade but I could see Arizona, NY Jets, Jacksonville, Cleveland, KC, Buffalo all taking qb's in the 1st 2 days

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to speedster81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

frederick in rd 3.

[/QUOTE]

Really cooled off on Jenkins. Wouldnt be surprised to see him go the way of Alameda Taamu last year who was deemed as more of a space eating run stuffer and thus fell to the fourth round. Hankins is the guy I would most like with our 1st round pick but I seriously doubt he is still on the board when we pick. Of all the DT's he is the closest to Vince. Very good lateral agility, good strength, can overwhelm guards with his quickness to get into the backfield and can also anchor against the double team. Like Vince, he has also shown the ability to play all across the line.

Jesse Williams I would rather trade out of the 1st and pick him in the second as I believe there are better overall players that could be had at the end of the 1st.

Robert Woods is more than just a slot or short/intermediate area receiver. He has the speed when his ankle is healthy to burn man coverage deep and can also run all the routes. I liken his playing style to that of Reggie Wayne but Woods has better RAC ability and could even play KR/PR in your special teams. He would also be a good 1st round pick.

[/QUOTE]

Good stuff! Its nice to know Vrabel and Meyer are friendly with BB so he can get an inside scoop. Simon is another guy that intrigues me on the Ohio State DL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to speedster81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

frederick in rd 3.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

good stuiff spedster. were that the assesment id trade up to get hankins

or get ansah or jordan  in 1 (up if need be), williams in 2 (up if need be) and frederick in 3.

howeva, he may have to fall a little to be reachable. what is he a 6-15 pick in most mocks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

thoughts..

[/QUOTE]

I could see 4 taken in the 1st despite that its not a great QB class. Oakland has no 1st for the Palmer trade but I could see Arizona, NY Jets, Jacksonville, Cleveland, KC, Buffalo all taking qb's in the 1st 2 days

[/QUOTE]

my ubderstanding oakland still has thier first (did they trade thier 2nd?)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

so youd bypass a potential pass rush demnon for the safety. id try to get byrd or goldson in fa freeing us up.

[/QUOTE]

There prob isn't a person on this thread higher on Jordan than I am, kid popped the first time I saw him on film... just a long, athletic freak that plays his asse off.

I was commenting more on how the board fell... If BB/NC passed on Jordan for Elam, I can the reasoning behind it and it's not like they wouldn't be getting a hell of a football player and tone setter on D.

If they can lock up a veteran S in FA, then I think they address front 7 or OL... personally, I still think Jesse Williams is the pick if he's still on the board.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on Elam! The more I've seen of him over the season the more I like But I also like Motta who like you said is similiar to Harrison Smith who is having a great rookie year

I'm not too high on Montgomery. Seems slow off the snap. If I took a LSU DL it'd be Logan or Mingo but I think he needs more weight on him and needs to work on defending the run

[/QUOTE]

Motta is def a Harrison Smith Lite... not the 1st round caliber kid, but a player with elite size, adequate speed and quicks that tackles well and will try and knock you out... solid late Day 2, early Day 3 type kid.  Humble, relatively quiet kid off the field... wants to be remembered as a “A beast on the field and a gentleman off it.” by ND fans.

I see what you're saying on Montgomery, had mentioned last year when he was a draft eligible Soph, that he had sort of a strange, elongated stance, where his torso was almost parallel to the ground.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There prob isn't a person on this thread higher on Jordan than I am, kid popped the first time I saw him on film... just a long, athletic freak that plays his asse off.

I was commenting more on how the board fell... If BB/NC passed on Jordan for Elam, I can the reasoning behind it and it's not like they wouldn't be getting a hell of a football player and tone setter on D.

If they can lock up a veteran S in FA, then I think they address front 7 or OL... personally, I still think Jesse Williams is the pick if he's still on the board.

[/QUOTE]

thanks for clarifying

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

thanks for clarifying

[/QUOTE]

What does your board lookd like, Bred?  who are your Top 5 Rd 1 and Rd 2 options in order of want/preference?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Austin

Woods

Swope

Bailey

[/QUOTE]

i would add a big, fast wr with hands (doesnt need route running) late. and keep our short pass cathcers we have (or get fa if need to), addding a threat that opens up the whole offense.

[/QUOTE]

Problem is, a kid that can't run routes will never sniff the field in this offense.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

thanks for clarifying

[/QUOTE]

What does your board lookd like, Bred?  who are your Top 5 Rd 1 and Rd 2 options in order of want/preference?

[/QUOTE]

thats been formulating in my head. may have  a preliminary soon. but will need to see more video and may change.

till then, thoughts this morning are that

it seems like the optimistic AND  practical possibility would BE:

RD 1 WILLIAMS

RD 2 HUNT

RD 3 FREDERICK

RD 7 OUTSIDE WR

maybe too optimistic:

jordan/ansah in 1 (rade higher in 1)

williams in 2 (trade higher in 2)

frederick in 3

fantasyland:

hankerson 1 (tradeup)