In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Some news on PE's boy...

Per ESPN Rumor Central:

UPDATE: Wisconsin lineman Travis Frederick is still considering his NFL draft options. An ex-Wisconsin staff member told ESPN Rumor Central, "I think he will (declare for the draft)."

Wisconsin has been able to seamlessly replace top talents leaving for the NFL in recent years, and it appears new head coach Gary Andersen will have to repeat the operation.

---

Wisconsin's offensive line has been an assembly line of talent to the NFL in recent years. The best of this year's bunch of big uglies is junior center Travis Frederick. And Frederick is strongly considering entering April's NFL Draft as an underclassman.

"Hearing Travis Frederick/OL/Wisconsin waiting till after bowl game on draft decision. Speculation from those close is he enters," Tony Pauline of SportsIllustrated.com tweeted.

The decision could be hastened by Wisconsin's recent coaching change. If he does decide to leave Madison for the NFL, freshman Dan Voltz will be expected to replace Frederick at the pivot.

mb and others, what makes folks here and elsewhere think frederick will make it to the pats at the end of the 3rd round, as opposed to the 2nd?

bred, you've been mentioning Frederick to NE in Rd 3, frequently... I don't know where he'll go at this point, will probably have a better projection on him once I'm able to watch some tape.  It's prob a fair assumption that he'll go somewhere on Day 2, but I still need to study him first.

thanks mb, ive seen him mocked on the thread and in prof mocks in 3rd rd, inlcuding several having him to pats in 3rd. have not seen him play, nor is o line my speciality. the descripion of him sounds pretty good, makes me have a little fdoubb that he lasts till late in 3rd rd.

The Belk Bowl is on at 6:30, Cincy vs. Duke, on ESPN... good chance to check out Duke WR Conner Vernon (6-1 200).  Looks like the prototype NE WR... good size, catches the ball well, solid route runner, good speed/quicks/RAC ability, good production at Duke (ACC career leader in receiving yards).  Check him out... prob a Rd 4-5 kid at this point.

oes he play on the outside? any separation?

Versatile kid that plays inside and out at Duke... also looks good returning punts.  Uses his speed/quicks/route running to seperate, yes.

mb, did yo see vernon?

what did you see in him?

i was working.

Vernon (10-119-1) looked good, got open, caught the football, made some guys miss, looked more consistent as a blocker... really like this kid as a mid-late round option.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to ricky12684's comment:

MB, thoughts on Cincy DE Dan Giordano, Louisiana Lafeyette S Melvin White, Arizona St DT Will Sutton, Rutgers LB Khaseem Greene? any fits for the Pats?

ricky,

Sutton and Greene look like solid players that are prob too small for what NE likes at DT/OLB. 

Giordano (6-4 260) looks like a decent late round option as a DE/OLB hybrid and I'll have to research Melvin White more, not too familiar with him.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

beginning thougts

safety and pass rusher in fa; maybe speed lb (or draft)

rd 1

ansah (presumes jordan not within reach)

rhodes (if sign pass rusher in fa)

deandre hopkins/ k allen/ justin hunter;  if bb decides to go this way and make the offense indefensible.

rd 2

frederick

hunt 

jessie williams

deandre hopkins/ j. hunter

rd 3 

hunt

frederick

need to see some combine to fill this out more (2nd and 3rd rd dbs)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

thanks. White may be the best of the bunch. played mostly CB but i've read he will most likely be converted to safety in the NFL. great tackler, power, also has athleticism and some ball skills. 

can't find any tape of 2012 but here are some highlights of 2011. you can see he brings it in the tackling dpt. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yqCFTDO2eo

Def flashes some NFL talent... very good physicality, aggression,  motor... also does show ball skills (17 PD's over the past two years)... like that he wraps up, BB/NC def place value on tackling from their DB's... good sized kid too, (listed at 6-3 191, we should know actuals soon)... good late round find, ricky.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Anyone mention Margus Hunt, DE out of SMU yet?  I went back a few pages and didn't see him talked about.  He had a monster game in the Hawaii Bowl.  Red Shirt Senior from Estona, great size, 6-7, 280 with an 82 inch wing span.  He forced two fumbles and had a safety causing sack.  He might be an excellent book end with Chandler Jones.    CBS Sports named him the #1 Freak in College Football.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

Anyone mention Margus Hunt, DE out of SMU yet?  I went back a few pages and didn't see him talked about.  He had a monster game in the Hawaii Bowl.  Red Shirt Senior from Estona, great size, 6-7, 280 with an 82 inch wing span.  He forced two fumbles and had a safety causing sack.  He might be an excellent book end with Chandler Jones.    CBS Sports named him the #1 Freak in College Football.

yeah i have been all over hunt since the beginning of the season.  Dude is a beast and would look great opposite  of chandler jones.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

yeah i have been all over hunt since the beginning of the season.  Dude is a beast and would look great opposite  of chandler jones.

Any chance he's around at the bottom of round 1?  CBS has him at #112 which can't be right.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

He's a pretty popular name on this thread due to his size/length/athleticism/upside, etc.

I have him as a Rd 2 kid that could sneak into Rd 1 once teams are able to work him out.  Kid's game is raw, as he's new to the sport, but he brings a lot of explosion and power off the edge and plays with pretty good leverage for his size.  He'll need to work on his technique, develop a more advanced repetoire, etc... but def has the tools... also impacts on ST, blocking kicks (7).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Below is my updated Big 32 Board, I'll updated again after Jan 15th, which I believe is the deadline for players to declare for the draft:

Rd 1

DT- Jesse Williams

OG- Jonathan Cooper

*S- Matt Elam

DT- Sylvester Williams

DE/OLB- Alex Okafor

OL- Barrett Jones

Rd 1-2

CB- Jordan Poyer

WR- Tavon Austin

WR- Robert Woods

S- Kenny Vaccaro  

Rd 2

DE/OLB- Margus Hunt

OL- Travis Frederick

*CB- Logan Ryan

OT- Lane Johnson

OT- Oday Aboushi

OLB/DE- Brandon Jenkins

Rd 2-3

*OLB/DE- Trent Murphy

LB- Shayne Skov

S- Phillip Thomas

DT- Daniel McCullers

Rd 3

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine

WR- Ryan Swope

CB- Micah Hyde

DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore  

Rd 4-6

S- Zeke Motta

WR- Conner Vernon

DE/OLB- Quanterus Smith

TE- Travis Kelce

Rd 7

DL- Quinton Dial

WR Chad Bumphis

WR TJ Moe

S- John Boyett

*Denotes Underclassmen

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Below is my updated Big 32 Board, I'll updated again after Jan 15th, which I believe is the deadline for players to declare for the draft:

Rd 1

DT- Jesse Williams

OG- Jonathan Cooper

*S- Matt Elam

DT- Sylvester Williams

OL- Barrett Jones

Rd 1-2

CB- Jordan Poyer

WR- Tavon Austin

WR- Robert Woods

S- Kenny Vaccaro  

Rd 2

DE/OLB- Margus Hunt

OL- Travis Frederick

*CB- Logan Ryan

OT- Lane Johnson

OT- Oday Aboushi

OLB/DE- Brandon Jenkins

Rd 2-3

*OLB/DE- Trent Murphy

LB- Shayne Skov

S- Phillip Thomas

DT- Daniel McCullers

CB- Blidi-Wreh Wilson  

Rd 3

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine

WR- Ryan Swope

CB- Micah Hyde

DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore  

Rd 4-6

S- Zeke Motta

WR- Conner Vernon

DE/OLB- Quanterus Smith

TE- Travis Kelce

Rd 7

DL- Quinton Dial

WR Chad Bumphis

WR TJ Moe

S- John Boyett

*Denotes Underclassmen

hey Beaul: getting close to the Big Game!

gonna buy me a brand spanking new ND sweatshirt this week to be ready on 1/7

we're gonna do it brother-I can feel it!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Rd 1

DT- Jesse Williams

OG- Jonathan Cooper

*S- Matt Elam

DT- Sylvester Williams

OL- Barrett Jones

Rd 1-2

CB- Jordan Poyer

WR- Tavon Austin

WR- Robert Woods

S- Kenny Vaccaro  

Rd 2

DE/OLB- Margus Hunt

OL- Travis Frederick

*CB- Logan Ryan

OT- Lane Johnson

OT- Oday Aboushi

OLB/DE- Brandon Jenkins

Rd 2-3

*OLB/DE- Trent Murphy

LB- Shayne Skov

S- Phillip Thomas

DT- Daniel McCullers

CB- Blidi-Wreh Wilson  

Rd 3

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine

WR- Ryan Swope

CB- Micah Hyde

DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore  

Rd 4-6

S- Zeke Motta

WR- Conner Vernon

DE/OLB- Quanterus Smith

TE- Travis Kelce

Rd 7

DL- Quinton Dial

WR Chad Bumphis

WR TJ Moe

S- John Boyett

*Denotes Underclassmen

btw i gotta keep up with ur fantastic and thourough draft breakdowns coming up because based on the last few weeks I think my Giants are gonna be on the look out for some DE and S/CB on Defense and OL on Offense, maybe even a RB because I love Bradshaw but missing 4 games every year due to injury can't continue

age and injuries have maybe caught them

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

nate ive been talking about him ever since. have you read my posts?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Any chance he's around at the bottom of round 1?  CBS has him at #112 which can't be right.

hey facuet, ive been all over teh pass rushers at every mock as i feel getting a pass rusher in fa or draft and help on o line are critical this year first and foremost (but feel we can get a good g/c in rd 2 or 3) what i have found is that teh pass rushers have slowly been creeping up almost everyone's board. jordan's like into the top 5, ansah is in mid teens to low 20s usually, and recently hunt's moved into the first round (though 1 mock and nate still have him going in the 3rd [nate to us in rd 3]). i like hunt, but dotn think he has the speed around the edge id like. my strategy is to get  pass rusher in fa if possible adn one of eh stud safeties and in rd 1 take rhodes teh big, tough cb in rd 1 if ansah is not there (first time this seoson ive considered going def back in draft). probably need to go frederick in 2nd dotn see him lasting till  end of third But if so thatd be awesome.

in 3rd lots of options, speedy pass covering  lb, one of the tall good outside wrs if left, dt if any good ones left, hunt?, etc

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

He's a pretty popular name on this thread due to his size/length/athleticism/upside, etc.

I have him as a Rd 2 kid that could sneak into Rd 1 once teams are able to work him out.  Kid's game is raw, as he's new to the sport, but he brings a lot of explosion and power off the edge and plays with pretty good leverage for his size.  He'll need to work on his technique, develop a more advanced repetoire, etc... but def has the tools... also impacts on ST, blocking kicks (7).

yes i saw that knack for bliocking kicks :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I forget who it was that mentioned him, but Texas WR Marquise Goodwin (5-9 180) had himself a game tonight against Oregon State, kid can fly... may be a late rounder/URFA to keep an eye on as his production was relatively small this year with 21-231-2 as a WR (102 in one game), 13-117-2 on the ground.

DE/OLB Alex Okafor also looked good, 4.5 sacks and a FF.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

your guy okafor had a big time bowl game. i don't know what it is, but i just can't come to liking the idea of taking him in the 1st. 

yeah me neither.

whos guy okafor?

(hes on the bottom of the barrell or how far id go to get some pass pressure. i sort of aband9oned that for a fa pass rusher for now.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

your guy okafor had a big time bowl game. i don't know what it is, but i just can't come to liking the idea of taking him in the 1st. 

I think the issue with some is that he's not the overly dynamic/athletic edge guy like Jordan or Ansah, etc... he is a solid two way defender though that I think has value somewhere in the Top 40-50... I may end up moving him to a Rd 1-2 kid on my board at some point.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

another late round sleeper -

Southeastern Louisiana CB Robert Alford 5-11 188lbs 4.33 40 yd dash

found a good article from bleacherreport while looking for info on him. smaller school prospect who absolutely dominated that competition and is expected to make the senior bowl, should be interesting to see how he holds up. he looks REALLY good on the few available tapes of him. plays CB/KR/PR/WR

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1363742-nfl-draft-2013-southeastern-louisiana-cornerback-robert-alford

Another good find, Ricky... kid can def fly... look forward to seeing him atleast at the combine, but hopefully the SB too.  Looks like he was a three-way player there too.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

It's amazing the disparity between draft publications in regards to certain players... which is one good reason to check out as many as you can vs. solely focusing on a single site during your draft prep/research.

The biggest that I've see so far is, one reputable site has a kid ranked as their #1 overall CB and the #11 player on their entire board... another very reputable site has the same player rated as their #4 SS and #159 player overall.

The player is, Nevada S/CB Duke Williams (6-1 200).

I checked out some 2011 highlights and his 2012 tape vs. Boise State... looked very physical/aggressive in the highlight vid... looking to knock players out, but also tackled securely in the open field... also liked his motor, effort in pursuit.  Didn't pop quite as much in the Boise State video, but you still say the physicality that he brings to the table and while he missed a tackle or two (once lunging too much vs. keeping his head up, etc.) he also dropped a few ballcarriers right in their tracks.

Nonetheless, I'm intrigued to see how this kid performs in the post season draft events.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i definitely do not think he'll be there for the pats's second pick. he's too conssitent of a pass rusher for that and he provides more than pass rush. actually, i thought he's improved his moves from earlier this year.

Sections
Shortcuts