***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

Gotta say, I'd love to see BB spend a late rounder on KSU QB Collin Klein (I know someone had mentioned hm a ways back, but I can't remember who)... with the "Pistol" offense slowly working it's way into the league (Robert Griffin, Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, etc.) he could have some upside for them down the road (does BB try to get in ahead of the curve?)... plus I love the kid's toughness and leadership.

I know he doesn't have the ideal throwing motion, but he's complete 66% of his passes this year and believe it or not, he ranks 6th nationally in YPA (9.3), so he's moving the ball down the field... again, consider me firmly on board with this idea.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Gotta say, I'd love to see BB spend a late rounder on KSU QB Collin Klein (I know someone had mentioned hm a ways back, but I can't remember who)... with the "Pistol" offense slowly working it's way into the league (Robert Griffin, Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, etc.) he could have some upside for them down the road (does BB try to get in ahead of the curve?)... plus I love the kid's toughness and leadership.

I know he doesn't have the ideal throwing motion, but he's complete 66% of his passes this year and believe it or not, he ranks 6th nationally in YPA (9.3)... again, consider me firmly on board with this idea.

[/QUOTE]

too early i say. 

brady here and starts 4-5 more years

plenty of time to get a qb. 

id be willing to spend a 7th

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I know he doesn't have the ideal throwing motion, but he's complete 66% of his passes this year and believe it or not, he ranks 6th nationally in YPA (9.3)... again, consider me firmly on board with this idea.

[/QUOTE]

too early i say. 

[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's every too early... they're always drafting and developing QB's.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to speedster81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Im getting the feeling that the best value at the end of round 1/start of round 2 will be with Safeties. I would not be surprised to see the 3 top safeties in Tony Jefferson,Kenny Vaccaro and Matt Elam available when the Pats are on the board. If that is the case, I will be intrigued to see if the Pats do pick one and if they do which they get.

Tony Jefferson is in my opinion the best pure Free Safety of the bunch. If you are primarily looking for a guy who can seat deep, read routes developing in front of him and then click and close to disrupt the pass then he is your guy. He is not as physical as Matt Elam nor as good a tackler. He also does not match Kenny Vaccaro's man coverage ability. However he has better range and more experience playing the deep position than either of those 2 guys. NFL comparison in terms of style of play is Ed Reed.

Matt Elam is best playing closer to the line of scrimmage. He is a very reliable tackler, does a great job shedding blocks and sorting through trash to get to the ball carrier and is ok in coverage. Watching him brings to mind what Patrick Chung is supposed to be. He is ok in man and zone and playing deep but that is not what he excels at. Much better playing a traditional Strong Safety position.

Kenny Vaccaro is admittedly my favorite prospect for what he can potentially enable a defense to do schematically.In 2010, if you recall Belichick tried running a heavy nickel with 3 safeties as the base. Brandon Merriweather and James Sanders played the traditional safety roles and Patrick Chung played the slot position currently played by Arrington/ Marquice Cole.Eventually, the package was scrapped because Chung while effective playing the run and blitzing as a slot defender, really struggled when he was forced to carry the Slot Receiver/ TE down the field in man coverage. Recall for instance how Manning and Blair White/Tamme torched him in that 2010 game. This brings me to Kenny Vaccaro.I have never seen a safety play man coverage in the slot as effectively as he does. He has the rare ability to play the traditional WR and TE in man coverage.Check out how he played against Ryan Broyles and Tavon Austin for instance. He is also a pretty good blitzer and a good run defender to boot. Playing a 3 safety package with him as the slot defender greatly increases your pass defense while not killing your run defense like using a CB in the nickel would and does.I am however skeptical the Pats would pick him since I think Tavon Wilson was selected with the aforementioned role in mind. Fascinated to see how things turn out.

[/QUOTE]

Good post, speed... I do like either Elam or Vaccaro in Rd 1.  RE: Elam, I like his man coverage ability a bit more than you do (though I'm a bit biased as he's one of my favorite prospects in this class)... kid is frequently in slot/man coverage duties and I've never really seen any big plays completed against him, granted I haven't seen every snap... but I see very few negative plays with this kid.

I think he and Vaccaro are prob the most versatile based on their ability to man up in the slot or play deep.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

too early i say. 

[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's every too early... they're always drafting and developing QB's.

[/QUOTE]

klein also is not as nimble or elusive as rg3 or wilson, nor teh passer luck is. 

i think if you run that kind of offense with him hed get punihsed/killed

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

too early i say. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

klein also is not as nimble or elusive as rg3 or wilson, nor teh passer luck is. 

i think if you run that kind of offense with him hed get punihsed/killed

[/QUOTE]

Not many players in the NFL are as nimble or athletic as Griffin, kid is an elite athlete, he was also drafted #2 overall for such talents, not in the late rounds like Klein is projected to go... kid carries zero risk as a late rounder.  Who's comparing him to Luck as a passer?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

Im getting the feeling that the best value at the end of round 1/start of round 2 will be with Safeties. I would not be surprised to see the 3 top safeties in Tony Jefferson,Kenny Vaccaro and Matt Elam available when the Pats are on the board. If that is the case, I will be intrigued to see if the Pats do pick one and if they do which they get.

Tony Jefferson is in my opinion the best pure Free Safety of the bunch. If you are primarily looking for a guy who can seat deep, read routes developing in front of him and then click and close to disrupt the pass then he is your guy. He is not as physical as Matt Elam nor as good a tackler. He also does not match Kenny Vaccaro's man coverage ability. However he has better range and more experience playing the deep position than either of those 2 guys. NFL comparison in terms of style of play is Ed Reed.

Matt Elam is best playing closer to the line of scrimmage. He is a very reliable tackler, does a great job shedding blocks and sorting through trash to get to the ball carrier and is ok in coverage. Watching him brings to mind what Patrick Chung is supposed to be. He is ok in man and zone and playing deep but that is not what he excels at. Much better playing a traditional Strong Safety position.

Kenny Vaccaro is admittedly my favorite prospect for what he can potentially enable a defense to do schematically.In 2010, if you recall Belichick tried running a heavy nickel with 3 safeties as the base. Brandon Merriweather and James Sanders played the traditional safety roles and Patrick Chung played the slot position currently played by Arrington/ Marquice Cole.Eventually, the package was scrapped because Chung while effective playing the run and blitzing as a slot defender, really struggled when he was forced to carry the Slot Receiver/ TE down the field in man coverage. Recall for instance how Manning and Blair White/Tamme torched him in that 2010 game. This brings me to Kenny Vaccaro.I have never seen a safety play man coverage in the slot as effectively as he does. He has the rare ability to play the traditional WR and TE in man coverage.Check out how he played against Ryan Broyles and Tavon Austin for instance. He is also a pretty good blitzer and a good run defender to boot. Playing a 3 safety package with him as the slot defender greatly increases your pass defense while not killing your run defense like using a CB in the nickel would and does.I am however skeptical the Pats would pick him since I think Tavon Wilson was selected with the aforementioned role in mind. Fascinated to see how things turn out.

[/QUOTE]

love vaccaeo, but if we had the luxury of not having so many needs (to stay capable of winning a super bowl (see nfc teams).

gotta have another pass rusher,  a safety who can cover adn hit, a speed lb, c/g, big outside wr, ideally cb (a big one), maybe dt

best way i see to do that is to keep the resigns resonable ie vollmer 6-7 mil range (or replace him if need be), welker 6 mil for 3-4, talib 4-6 mil for 3 to 4

pickup on of the many pass rushers in fa

safety in fa

rhodes in 1, 1 of the wr i lsted in 2, frederick in 3.

leaves cover lb and dt still

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

#47 Alonso for Oregon is a very dynamic ILB. I know they have Mayo, Spikes and Hightower, but he may be the speedy LB that NWE needs on passing situations. He's 247 lbs - big enough for the Pats.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

#47 Alonso for Oregon is a very dynamic ILB. I know they have Mayo, Spikes and Hightower, but he may be the speedy LB that NWE needs on passing situations. He's 247 lbs - big enough for the Pats.

[/QUOTE]

he had a good game i dindt see him cover speedy backs nor do i know his 40.

futher wiht the 3 pciks we have i d rather get 3 top players at whatever positons we cannot fill in fa.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

PE/Bred,

On the topic of "A quicker/faster drop/coverage LB", I'm really interested in Oregon's Kiko Alonso (6-3 242)... at some point on Day 3... maybe late Day 2. 

Kid looks very active, quick feet, moves very well in space, good speed to the flanks... also flows very quickly down hill... really like this kids overall game.

He also led Oregon in INT's this season with (4), to go along with (2) PBU.

[/QUOTE]

What's up, MB?  Hey, I'm glad you mentioned Alonso.  He has caught my eye this year, and looked pretty good last night.  I love our current LB corp of Mayo/Spikes/Hightower, but I feel that a lighter, quicker guy like Alonso who can cover in space well would be a great compliment to what we already have.  I'd love to get him aound the late 3rd round, but it wouldn't suprise me if he gains momentum as we near the draft and sees his stock rise quite a bit.  Definitally a guy to keep on the radar.  Thanks!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Good post, speed... I do like either Elam or Vaccaro in Rd 1.  RE: Elam, I like his man coverage ability a bit more than you do (though I'm a bit biased as he's one of my favorite prospects in this class)... kid is frequently in slot/man coverage duties and I've never really seen any big plays completed against him, granted I haven't seen every snap... but I see very few negative plays with this kid.

I think he and Vaccaro are prob the most versatile based on their ability to man up in the slot or play deep.

[/QUOTE]

Ha. I have to admit that I too am a bit biased towards Vaccaro. I saw him play against Ryan Broyles a year or so ago in a game that Texas was blown out, however I was struck by how well a defender nevermind a safety could play man coverage against a shifty receiver like Broyles. I was even more impressed last month when he did the same thing to Tavon Austin. I will look more into Elam especially his snaps in man. If he does more than hold his own then by all means ill be cheering for BB to pick him this April.

Like most of you guys, I have been watching football for a while but I have grown really disillusioned with the notion that you need a shutdown corner to play good pass defense. Besides Revis, who else is really a shutdown corner? Richard Sherman has had a good year but let us see if he can string together a few elite years before we put him in that category. Ditto for corners such as Cromartie, Tillman,Jennings etc. If we perpetually pick a CB in the draft attempting to get the next Revis, we will  burn through premium draft picks we could use to improve other aspects of the team. NE has won superbowls in the past with competent corners such as Law, Poole, Moreland, Samuels, Gay etc who were no more talented than the current crop of guys we have. I am convinced we can win with Dennard, McCourty, Talib, Dowling, Wilson and Gregory. 

Instead lets focus on addressing our major weakness which is pass coverage in our base set by subbing a line backer for a Safety who can play both man and zone at a high level, match up physically against a TE in man coverage, be flexible enough to keep up with a shifty slot receiver such as welker in the slot, cover backs like spiller, reggie bush, ray rice out of the backfield, have good instincts as a blitzer and finally be able to get off blocks and make tackles as close as possible to the line of scrimmage. IMO Vaccaro fits the aforementioned criteria better than all the other safety prospects in this draft. Admittedly Elam is better with the run defense but I give the Edge overall to Vaccaro because of his prowess in coverage. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to Army2LT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Which underclassman is the biggest surprise to declare for the draft thus far?

[/QUOTE]

Here is the list so far; Tyrann Mathieu is not a surprise, but maybe the most controversial.

UNDERCLASSMEN DECLARING FOR 2013 DRAFT

Includes players who have either officially applied to the NFL as underclassmen for eligibility for the 2013 draft or are known or thought to be in the draft. Underclassmen have until January 15th to apply to the NFL for early entry to the upcoming draft. Underclassmen who do apply by that date and have not signed with an agent then have a three-day window of opportunity beginning on the 15th to withdraw their applications. 

Last updated: 3 2013

PLAYER POS H/W SCHOOL CL Bjoern Werner
    DE
    6-5, 265
    Florida State
    JR Damontre Moore
    DE
    6-4, 250
    Texas A&M
    JR Keenan Allen
    WR
    6-2, 210
    California
    JR
    Johnathan Hankins
    DT
    6-3, 320
    Ohio State
    JR Sheldon Richardson
    DT
    6-3, 295
    Missouri
    JR
    Alec Ogletree
    LB
    6-2, 235
    Georgia
    JR
    Xavier Rhodes
    CB
    6-2,220
    Florida State
    JR
    Sharrif Floyd
    DT
    6-2, 305
    Florida
    JR
    Matt Elam
    FS
    5-10, 205
    Florida
    JR Justin Hunter
    WR
    6-3, 200
    Tennessee
    JR
    Robert Woods
    WR
    6-0, 185
    Southern California
    JR Da'Rick Rogers
    WR
    6-2, 210
    Tennessee Tech
    JR
    Gio Bernard
    RB
    5-9, 205
    North Carolina
    RSO
    Le'Veon Bell
    RB
    6-1, 240
    Michigan State
    JR
    Kevin Minter
    LB
    6-1, 245
    LSU
    JR Logan Ryan
    CB
    5-11, 190
    Rutgers
    JR
    Corey Lemonier
    DE
    6-3, 245
    Auburn
    JR Stedman Bailey
    WR
    5-10, 190
    West Virginia
    JR
    Alvin Bailey
    OG
    6-4, 315
    Arkansas
    JR
    Akeem Spence
    DT
    6-1, 305
    Illinois
    JR
    Tyrann Mathieu
    CB
    5-9, 175
    LSU
    JR
    Marcus Lattimore
    RB
    5-11, 220
    South Carolina
    JR Knile Davis
    RB
    5-11, 230
    Arkansas
    JR
    Stefphon Jefferson
    RB
    5-10, 210
    Nevada
    JR
    Mike Edwards
    CB/KR
    5-9, 180
    Hawaii
    JR Trabis Ward
    RB
    5-9, 200
    Tennessee State
    JR

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I do like that he has the size to play on 1st and 2nd downs... agree that he's dynamic and moves very well for his size... should excel in coverage and looks like a Mayo type ILB that can also excel in the blitz game as he's frequently asked to attack the LOS, shoot gaps, etc.  Plus he has a cool as name, I'm a fan!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

PE/Bred,

On the topic of "A quicker/faster drop/coverage LB", I'm really interested in Oregon's Kiko Alonso (6-3 242)... at some point on Day 3... maybe late Day 2. 

Kid looks very active, quick feet, moves very well in space, good speed to the flanks... also flows very quickly down hill... really like this kids overall game.

He also led Oregon in INT's this season with (4), to go along with (2) PBU.

[/QUOTE]

What's up, MB?  Hey, I'm glad you mentioned Alonso.  He has caught my eye this year, and looked pretty good last night.  I love our current LB corp of Mayo/Spikes/Hightower, but I feel that a lighter, quicker guy like Alonso who can cover in space well would be a great compliment to what we already have.  I'd love to get him aound the late 3rd round, but it wouldn't suprise me if he gains momentum as we near the draft and sees his stock rise quite a bit.  Definitally a guy to keep on the radar.  Thanks!

[/QUOTE]

Hey man, Happy Fridee!

I too have been looking for another ILB to add to the Big 32 Board (outside of Shayne Skov)... I'd had Kevin Minter on for a bit, but think he's prob gone in the Top 50 or so.

I also think a lot depends on how they view the forgotten Dane Fletcher long term, but yes, this is def a kid that's firmly on my radar.  My kinda player!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

LSU CB Tharold Simon to declare for the draft:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/04/tharold-simon-the-latest-to-leave-lsu-early/

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Sadly I've been watching more film on Marcus Davis and he doesn't even attempt to block. It's sad because a quick 6'4" 230 WR would have been nice and had has a huge stride similar to Moss but his complete lack of effort to block for runners was a major turn off. BB will never take a WR who wouldn't even attempt to run block, esp a guy his size

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sadly I've been watching more film on Marcus Davis and he doesn't even attempt to block. It's sad because a quick 6'4" 230 WR would have been nice and had has a huge stride similar to Moss but his complete lack of effort to block for runners was a major turn off. BB will never take a WR who wouldn't even attempt to run block, esp a guy his size

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback, PE... agreed that it's prob not something they'd be interested in... very underrated part of a WR's game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

too early i say. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i dotn mind developing him as a backup ( trading mallet if were going to pickup klein). my point was i tink its too early to try ot find brdys replacement (unless its a andrew luck type thing of course)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

futher wiht the 3 pciks we have i d rather get 3 top players at whatever positons we cannot fill in fa.

[/QUOTE]

i was not really talking about someone who can run down RBs? I am talking about someone who can cover underneath receivers. he demonstrated that yesterday. a receiver ran outside toward the sideline to try to draw him from an underneath receiver, he recognized it well, let go of the first guy he was covering and broke for the real receiver quickly enough to break up the reception. i don't think i've seen a pats LB do that in the last five years.

i think he is much quicker than any of the LBs we have now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

oh... there was another play he did that demonstrated his ability to shoot 10-15 yards really quickly. If I rememeber correctly, it was a stretch play. He just shot through the crowd from 5 yards back, to make the tackle on the RB for loss. Mayo has shown he can do that, but Alonso seems to be able to shoot from pt a to pt B much faster.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

too early i say. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i dotn mind developing him as a backup ( trading mallet if were going to pickup klein). my point was i tink its too early to try ot find brdys replacement (unless its a andrew luck type thing of course)

[/QUOTE]

With the premium/success tied to "Elite" QB's... think I heard a stat on Felger & Mazz that the last (9) Super Bowl Champs have been tied to (6) QB's (Brady, P. Manning, E. Manning, Roethlisberger, Brees & Rodgers), I don't think it's ever too early to identify, draft and develop your QB of the future, especially when your starting QB is 35.  If BB feels that Mallet is that guy, great.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i was not really talking about someone who can run down RBs? I am talking about someone who can cover underneath receivers. he demonstrated that yesterday. a receiver ran outside toward the sideline to try to draw him from an underneath receiver, he recognized it well, let go of the first guy he was covering and broke for the real receiver quickly enough to break up the reception. i don't think i've seen a pats LB do that in the last five years.

[/QUOTE]

I think this is the key point, it's more of a covering the short to intermediate area vs. strictly focusing on RB's in general.  Kid looks to have good awareness and insticts for the position.

You know, I'm a bit surprised that a kid with his movement ability (especially for a league that's so pass happy) is generally projected as a Day 3 kid, especially considering his size, physicality and ability to stay on the field on 1st and 2nd down.  I think most sites will eventually have him in the Rd 2-3 range once the scouting process catches up with... I'm just seeing much more than a Rd 4-5 kid.

On the negative side, he can take some bad angles in pursuit and will overpursue at times due to his motor/aggression, but generally, this kid is right around the football, looking to make a play.  Love his upside as a blitz ILB as well.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

man manziel is the man!

would love to have seen oregon and a and m play if it werent for this "bowl" b.s.

a and m and n.d. woulda been nice too. 

oh well in my dreams.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

good stuff seattle didint see too much of the game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

too early i say. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

With the premium/success tied to "Elite" QB's... think I heard a stat on Felger & Mazz that the last (9) Super Bowl Champs have been tied to (6) QB's (Brady, P. Manning, E. Manning, Roethlisberger, Brees & Rodgers), I don't think it's ever too early to identify, draft and develop your QB of the future, especially when your starting QB is 35.  If BB feels that Mallet is that guy, great.

[/QUOTE]

i hear ya mb, if brady starts 4-5 more years whoever we develop, unless they are better than brady, will be gone is my thought.

Sections
Shortcuts