***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

too bad about te'o.

whether he started the hoax or hid and held it, you gotta have some empathy for the kid. he has some issues or he has some SERIOUS issues. he really will need some professional help.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

get this mb, walter has ansah 9 today and jordan 19. certainly the opposite of most mocks.

i prefer ansah, but jordan is an athletic freak and i imagine will be a good pass rusher.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

too bad about te'o.

whether he started the hoax or hid and held it, you gotta have some empathy for the kid. he has some issues or he has some SERIOUS issues. he really will need some professional help.

Def waiting for all the facts to come out, but yeah, weird weird story... IMO, he may not have started the hoax, but he looks to have perpetuated it.  Could def cause him to drop in the draft.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

get this mb, walter has ansah 9 today and jordan 19. certainly the opposite of most mocks.

i prefer ansah, but jordan is an athletic freak and i imagine will be a good pass rusher.

This is one reason why I like to do my own research on a player... get a feel for where I think they'll go.  I enjoy mocks that aren't cookie cutter... NFP is like that, they're grades generally vary greatly from other boards and I appreciate that... for example, they have Oregon LB Kiko Alonso as their #28 overall player.  I've seen this kid on tape and he doesn't look like the Rd 4-5 projection that you see of him on some boards... def a kid that moves well, is ultra aggressive and has good size... I think he'll be off the board at some point on Day 2.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:Unrelated to your present conversation but what does the infusion of 75 underclassmen to this draft do for the talent pool?

This is one reason why I like to do my own research on a player... get a feel for where I think they'll go.  I enjoy mocks that aren't cookie cutter... NFP is like that, they're grades generally vary greatly from other boards and I appreciate that... for example, they have Oregon LB Kiko Alonso as their #28 overall player.  I've seen this kid on tape and he doesn't look like the Rd 4-5 projection that you see of him on some boards... def a kid that moves well, is ultra aggressive and has good size... I think he'll be off the board at some point on Day 2.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

im seeing a lot more of xavier rhodes to pats as time goes on (inlcuding today buffalo bills draft .com)

as long as we get a pass rusher in fa or rd 2 (i dont expect oakafor to make it to teh end of rd 2 so we may need to be flexible), i'll take him (rhodes) all day.

by the way, re the many sites who have pats taking austin. a guy who can do so many thiings with the ball. hello, weve got demps next year.

how bout something we dont have (hopkins, hunter, rogers, williams, patterson, allen, etc): speed, height, size, and hands in one package

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I don't think Elam will be there so if I had to choose a DB in the 1st Rhodes would be my choice too. The guy is a big body thumper CB who can punch you at the line and has the speed to stay with WR's. The only thing I question is he didn't have a ton of great competition to face and the few good WR's he was put against he was used in mostly zone of with help. I question his man coverage ability without help if he presses at the line. But a 6'2" 215lb CB with sub 4.5 speed is raw. If they resign Talib having Talib and Dennard on WR's and Rhodes on the TE/large possession WR's would certainly provide and edge to the Pats

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I don't think Elam will be there so if I had to choose a DB in the 1st Rhodes would be my choice too. The guy is a big body thumper CB who can punch you at the line and has the speed to stay with WR's. The only thing I question is he didn't have a ton of great competition to face and the few good WR's he was put against he was used in mostly zone of with help. I question his man coverage ability without help if he presses at the line. But a 6'2" 215lb CB with sub 4.5 speed is raw. If they resign Talib having Talib and Dennard on WR's and Rhodes on the TE/large possession WR's would certainly provide and edge to the Pats

and dowling for depth.

by the way mb, 

teh guy everyone here hates, kiper, has pats taking one of my (and your) guys, hopkins in rd 1.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

and dowling for depth.

by the way mb, 

teh guy everyone here hates, kiper, has pats taking one of my (and your) guys, hopkins in rd 1.

Well that solidifies it, Hopkins won't be the pick

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

and dowling for depth.

by the way mb, 

Well that solidifies it, Hopkins won't be the pick

:)

bb , in 2013, wr in rd 1, <%5 chance

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I like the Rhodes option, curios to see what his SS/3C #'s will be as BB generally drafts kids with good COD/lateral agility.

I also have Rutger's CB Logan Ryan (6-0 190) in the potential Rd 1 CB discussion.  Good size, versatile kid that can play press/off/zone and gets his hands on a ton of footballs (21 PD: 17 PBU / 4 INT's).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

im seeing a lot more of xavier rhodes to pats as time goes on (inlcuding today buffalo bills draft .com)

as long as we get a pass rusher in fa or rd 2 (i dont expect oakafor to make it to teh end of rd 2 so we may need to be flexible), i'll take him (rhodes) all day.

by the way, re the many sites who have pats taking austin. a guy who can do so many thiings with the ball. hello, weve got demps next year.

how bout something we dont have (hopkins, hunter, rogers, williams, patterson, allen, etc): speed, height, size, and hands in one package

I think South Carolina WR Ace Sanders on Day 2 provides better value than Tavon Austin in Rd 1.  Both are smaller (Sanders 5-8 175, Austin 5-9 175), ultra-quick big play type kids that can impact the game anytime they touch the ball... Austin had the luxury of playing in a more dynamic/pass happy offense (WVU attempted 532 passes to SC's 365), thus more touches/opportunities, though Sanders scored on 20% of his receptions (45 Rec / 9 TD's)... Sanders was also more effective as a PR man.

I have Sanders as the #3 WR on my board, behind Hopkins and Woods... check him out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I think South Carolina WR Ace Sanders on Day 2 provides better value than Tavon Austin in Rd 1.  Both are smaller (Sanders 5-8 175, Austin 5-9 175), ultra-quick big play type kids that can impact the game anytime they touch the ball... Austin had the luxury of playing in a more dynamic/pass happy offense (WVU attempted 532 passes to SC's 365), thus more touches/opportunities, though Sanders scored on 20% of his receptions (45 Rec / 9 TD's)... Sanders was also more effective as a PR man.

I have Sanders as the #3 WR on my board, behind Hopkins and Woods... check him out.

sure, but only wr i want is the big kind. weve ahd the littles for years. i want one good big wr.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

sure, but only wr i want is the big kind. weve ahd the littles for years. i want one good big wr.

Not necessarily the Megatron types. I think they'd be unstoppable if they had  T Smith type - around 6 ft but really strong and decent speed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:agreed

Not necessarily the Megatron types. I think they'd be unstoppable if they had  T Smith type - around 6 ft but really strong and decent speed.

agreed.

there are many 6 2" 200 + fast agile receivers with hands.

a t smith type would be fine

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

The other guy who hasnt received much pub around here is Keenan Allen WR fom Cal. I havent mentioned him in the past since I just assumed he would be out of our range. However it seems he is being devalued the further along we get into this draft process. He played with a pretty bad quarterback this past season but still put up respectable numbers. At 6-3, 215 he has a very good size speed combo and is very similar in playing style to Robert Woods WR from USC. Difference being that he has better size and speed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

Forgive me if someone has already mentioned this before. With Mike Lombardi's hire as VP of Player Personell in Cleveland, there is a rumor swirling around the internet that Cleveland would look into trading for Ryan Mallet quite possibly giving up their number 6 overall pick to do so. I would not be surprised if Lombardi was interested in Mallet but it would shock me if they surrendered their first round pick for him. Earlier this year when he was an analyst at NFL Network, he publicly trashed the Brandon Weeden pick and just today he refused to endorse Weeden publicly but instead said he needed more time to evaluate him. When you compound this with statements he had made last year that he would trade for Brian Hoyer if he were starting a new franchise, makes me think he will influence a trade for Mallet. Only thing that stops the trade IMO is if the GM Joe Banner does not share the enthusiasm for Mallet. I will be following this closely. Fascinating stuff!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

What's the word on Terrance Williams, WR Baylor?  At 6-2, 205 gotta like his size.  He put up amazing numbers this year. 97/1832/12.  His 18.89 ypc and 1832 yards is tops in the NCAA.  We need a tall, down-the-field threat.  Not sure he makes it to 64, might have to take at 32 or trade down and get him in the 40s.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to speedster81's comment:

The other guy who hasnt received much pub around here is Keenan Allen WR fom Cal. I havent mentioned him in the past since I just assumed he would be out of our range. However it seems he is being devalued the further along we get into this draft process. He played with a pretty bad quarterback this past season but still put up respectable numbers. At 6-3, 215 he has a very good size speed combo and is very similar in playing style to Robert Woods WR from USC. Difference being that he has better size and speed.

yeha speed i had him on my list

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Forgive me if someone has already mentioned this before. With Mike Lombardi's hire as VP of Player Personell in Cleveland, there is a rumor swirling around the internet that Cleveland would look into trading for Ryan Mallet quite possibly giving up their number 6 overall pick to do so. I would not be surprised if Lombardi was interested in Mallet but it would shock me if they surrendered their first round pick for him. Earlier this year when he was an analyst at NFL Network, he publicly trashed the Brandon Weeden pick and just today he refused to endorse Weeden publicly but instead said he needed more time to evaluate him. When you compound this with statements he had made last year that he would trade for Brian Hoyer if he were starting a new franchise, makes me think he will influence a trade for Mallet. Only thing that stops the trade IMO is if the GM Joe Banner does not share the enthusiasm for Mallet. I will be following this closely. Fascinating stuff!

I would take a 2nd for Mallet in a heartbeat.  Let's face it, the kid isn't going to play until after Brady retires which could be 3-5 years meaning he will be a F/A first.  Might as well get something for him now.  As for this rumor, first I heard of it, but I will be happy if true.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

What's the word on Terrance Williams, WR Baylor?  At 6-2, 205 gotta like his size.  He put up amazing numbers this year. 97/1832/12.  His 18.89 ypc and 1832 yards is tops in the NCAA.  We need a tall, down-the-field threat.  Not sure he makes it to 64, might have to take at 32 or trade down and get him in the 40s.

hes on my list of wrs. dotn knwo id take a wr with our top pick even if its a trade down.

depends who we get overall i guess.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I would take a 2nd for Mallet in a heartbeat.  Let's face it, the kid isn't going to play until after Brady retires which could be 3-5 years meaning he will be a F/A first.  Might as well get something for him now.  As for this rumor, first I heard of it, but I will be happy if true.

abosultey and i posted same thing about mallet. he wont be a starter here casue brady aint givin up the reigns

#6 overall would be music to the ears.

then depending on who we get in fa if we get a pass rsuher and safety in fa

you got star and werner sitting about there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

I dont think the Browns have a second rounder due to the trade for Josh Gordon in the supplemental draft last year. Swapping first round picks with Mallet thrown in would be really nice.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

hes on my list of wrs. dotn knwo id take a wr with our top pick even if its a trade down.

depends who we get overall i guess.

Cant argue with that kind of production. Curious to see how well he performs at the combine. Having a WR who can beat one on one coverage consistently really opens up things for the entire offense. Im hoping the Pats break the mold and get a big fast WR in this draft. Torrey Smith for instance has really helped the Baltimore defense.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

RE: Size of WR's.

I'm not opposed to size, but I don't think it's a necessity for WR's as some have made it out to to be.  For all the talk about getting the ball down the field, they've been top 5 in YPA (2) out of the last (3) years and were top 10 this year.  They've also been top 4 in passing yards the last (2) seasons, 11th in 2010. 

What I think they need is players that fit their offensive scheme... players that excel in the short to intermediate game with the ability to create after the catch... if that's a player with size, great, but I don't see it as a necessity at all.