***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to speedster81's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to Faucetman's comment:

What's the word on Terrance Williams, WR Baylor?  At 6-2, 205 gotta like his size.  He put up amazing numbers this year. 97/1832/12.  His 18.89 ypc and 1832 yards is tops in the NCAA.  We need a tall, down-the-field threat.  Not sure he makes it to 64, might have to take at 32 or trade down and get him in the 40s.

hes on my list of wrs. dotn knwo id take a wr with our top pick even if its a trade down.

depends who we get overall i guess.

Cant argue with that kind of production. Curious to see how well he performs at the combine. Having a WR who can beat one on one coverage consistently really opens up things for the entire offense. Im hoping the Pats break the mold and get a big fast WR in this draft. Torrey Smith for instance has really helped the Baltimore defense.

were on the same page

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

RE: Size of WR's.

I'm not opposed to size, but I don't think it's a necessity for WR's as some have made it out to to be.  For all the talk about getting the ball down the field, they've been top 5 in YPA (2) out of the last (3) years and were top 10 this year.  They've also been top 4 in passing yards the last (2) seasons, 11th in 2010. 

What I think they need is players that fit their offensive scheme... players that excel in the short to intermediate game with the ability to create after the catch... if that's a player with size, great, but I don't see it as a necessity at all. 

we definitelyt are in different camps. you cant coach size or reach. you can catch passes smaller guys cant reach. you can't cover someone as well when thier reach is well beyond yours.

i dotn care about season #s, when it comes to palyoffs and super bowls, when you face the toughest defenses, they cant stop a big wide depp threat, gronk and hern, welker, and ridley/vereen.at least not when yhou have a halfway decent o line. adding a big guy who can separate adn who has speed woudl make this defense that much more unstoppable

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

are y        are you seeing this post by ricky (and my reply)?

In response to ricky12684's comment:

NFL Philosophy@NFLosophy

Mallett to the Browns will probably heat up. Browns will have to give up number 6 overall pick this year, plus more. No clue what else.

plus more? who wrote that?

if we get a #6 for mallet they should fire the decisionmaker in cleveland (but not till after the draft when we select star lotuleilei or bjoern werner! (that woudl be the coup of the year!)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

ricky and i followup

NFL Philosophy@NFLosophy

Mallett to the Browns will probably heat up. Browns will have to give up number 6 overall pick this year, plus more. No clue what else.

if we get a #6 for mallet they should fire the decisionmaker in cleveland (but not till after the draft when we select star lotuleilei or bjoern werner! (that woudl be the coup of the year!)

if cleveland gives up the #6 it would mean NE would give up their #1 one (pick 28-32). Cleveland would then have to throw in probably Brandon Weeden + another pick in 2013 or 2014

so its not mallet for #6 but mallet and our #1 for #6 and somethinig else.

i dont care what something else is. i want the #6 and i run.

i look at theiir roster. probabbly tomorrow and sure ill see what theyre willing to part with.

positions of need, big wr, big cb, top safety, dt, pass rsuhing dt, c/g, big outside wr, speedy cover lb.

i dont need weedon, i can get some backup qb out of work. he will never see the field unless we have a blown season anyway.

by the way is this verified by any other source?

who is nfl philosophY?

thanks for teh juicy bits!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

DE/OLB Candidate

Lavar Edwards, DE, LSU (6’5/258) – Speaking of overshadowed, no one got overshadowed more in college football than Lavar Edwards. He’s one of the top 12 pass rushers in this draft and couldn’t even crack the starting lineup every week at LSU. Edwards could be the break out star at the Senior Bowl, because the eyes will be on him now. He doesn’t have the same burst or quickness as the top guys, but he is smart and disciplined player. He can set the edge vs. the run and uses his motor and quickness to rush the passer. He’s also quite versatile as he plays SSDE and moved inside to tackle on obvious passing downs. Edwards has the natural size to be a 4-3 DE and should be a solid pro player.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/01/2013-senior-bowl-defense-preview.html

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

I would look at Gooden as a hybrid LB/SS, a coverage linebacker

Zavier Gooden, OLB, Missouri (6’2/230) – One of the most athletic players in college football this year regardless of position. Has 4.4 speed from the linebacker position and profiles as a traditional “Will” linebacker in a 4-3. A former safety, Gooden can run and cover a lot of ground. He’s not the most physical player and will need to get stronger to withstand an NFL schedule, but he can fly around and make plays all over the field. Gooden is a team captain and an All-Academic Big XII selection. Right now he relies mostly on his athleticism to make plays, instead of his instincts and recognitions skills, but you can’t get by in the NFL only on athleticism.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

DE/OLB Candidate

Lavar Edwards, DE, LSU (6’5/258) – Speaking of overshadowed, no one got overshadowed more in college football than Lavar Edwards. He’s one of the top 12 pass rushers in this draft and couldn’t even crack the starting lineup every week at LSU. Edwards could be the break out star at the Senior Bowl, because the eyes will be on him now. He doesn’t have the same burst or quickness as the top guys, but he is smart and disciplined player. He can set the edge vs. the run and uses his motor and quickness to rush the passer. He’s also quite versatile as he plays SSDE and moved inside to tackle on obvious passing downs. Edwards has the natural size to be a 4-3 DE and should be a solid pro player.

Solid mid-late round option, I like him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

I would look at Gooden as a hybrid LB/SS, a coverage linebacker

Zavier Gooden, OLB, Missouri (6’2/230) – One of the most athletic players in college football this year regardless of position. Has 4.4 speed from the linebacker position and profiles as a traditional “Will” linebacker in a 4-3. A former safety, Gooden can run and cover a lot of ground. He’s not the most physical player and will need to get stronger to withstand an NFL schedule, but he can fly around and make plays all over the field. Gooden is a team captain and an All-Academic Big XII selection. Right now he relies mostly on his athleticism to make plays, instead of his instincts and recognitions skills, but you can’t get by in the NFL only on athleticism.

I'll have to check him out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'm not opposed to size, but I don't think it's a necessity for WR's as some have made it out to to be.  For all the talk about getting the ball down the field, they've been top 5 in YPA (2) out of the last (3) years and were top 10 this year.  They've also been top 4 in passing yards the last (2) seasons, 11th in 2010. 

What I think they need is players that fit their offensive scheme... players that excel in the short to intermediate game with the ability to create after the catch... if that's a player with size, great, but I don't see it as a necessity at all. 

we definitelyt are in different camps. you cant coach size or reach. you can catch passes smaller guys cant reach. you can't cover someone as well when thier reach is well beyond yours.

i dotn care about season #s, when it comes to palyoffs and super bowls, when you face the toughest defenses, they cant stop a big wide depp threat, gronk and hern, welker, and ridley/vereen.at least not when yhou have a halfway decent o line. adding a big guy who can separate adn who has speed woudl make this defense that much more unstoppable

Size doesn't make you a good or effective WR... again, not against it, have a couple of kids that are 6 ft+ at the top of my WR board, but it's not a necessity or even a need, IMO... offensive fit comes first. 

Speed/quicks/COD/agility being equal, yeah I'd take the bigger kid, but that's not generally how it works... the more sudden, quick, coordinated kids are generally on the "smaller" side.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

NFL Philosophy@NFLosophy

The below link looks to be where that story is stemming from... personally I'd be shocked if the Browns gave up the #6 pick for Mallet or even swapped 1st rounders.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1490462-nfl-draft-rumor-browns-considering-trading-6th-overall-pick-for-ryan-mallett

If they did pull off that kind of deal, I'd also bet money that BB would then use that pick to trade back to acquire more picks... though the allure of a marquee defender (Werner, Milliner, Lotulelei, etc.) would be tempting.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Another intriguing late round defender is Richmond S Cooper Taylor (6-4 229)... not a lot of tape out there on this kid, but reports reflect him as a big, tough athletic kid that plays with good awareness and physicality.  He was a former D1 player at GT that transferred after a few injuries there.  It also looks like he had some corrective heart surgery back in 2010, but played the full 2011 and 2012 seasons.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

The mallet discussion is intriguing, but I can't see the browns giving up a 6th for him. The asking price of mallet and swaps of 1st round picks makes more sense. Cleveland retains a first and gets their QB. I don't think that price is too steep considering a week QB draft and the Browns displeasure witht their current QB stable. 

Lets. Assume for a second the above happens...what do you do with the 6th overall pick? I'd Star is still around, he is my selection. Imagine what that does for the pats. I'd not, I would trade 6 back to the mid early teens, pick Woerner and grab another 2nd or so. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Happy Saturday, boys!  Below is my Mock V2:

Rd 1- DT- Jesse Williams (6-3 320) Alabama- Kid looks like an ideal fit as an interior tackle in BB’s 2-gap scheme.  He’s big, good burst off the snap, moves well laterally can eat the double and is very strong at the POA.  He’d look great next to VW in the middle. Alternatives: S Matt Elam Florida / OG Jon Cooper UNC

Rd 2- DE/OLB- Tank Carradine (6-5 265) Florida State- Great size, length, athleticism and motor… he can create off the edge and also has excellent potential as a run defender, the prototype of what BB looks for in an edge defender. Alternative: DE/OLB  John Simon Ohio State / OLB Brandon Jenkins Florida State

Rd 3- WR/PR Ace Sanders- (5-8 175) South Carolina- As quick, sudden, agile of a kid as I’ve seen on tape, this kid has elite movement ability and could be a huge weapon in NE’s offense and in the PR game. Alternative:  WR Ryan Swope Texas A&M / CB Darius Slay Miss State

Rd 7- DE Quinton Dial (6-6 305) Alabama- Big , long, strong 34 DE with the SEC/Saban pedigree. Alternative:  DL Kapron Lewis-Moore ND / WR TJ Moe Missouri

Rd 7- S Cooper Taylor (6-4 229) Richmond- Big, physical kid with good instincts, awareness and athleticism that could match up well against today’s bigger, more athletic TE’s.  Alternative: RB Spencer Ware (5-11 225) LSU / OG Jeff Baca UCLA

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

True.  But it is also about creating mis-matches at every level.  The presence of Welker and his ability to get YAC and sheer production gives us the passing stats you mention.  But we have become a ball control, short passing team since Moss left.  The addition of the 2 stud TEs has given us mismatches in the short and intermediate levels.  Occassionally we go deep to a Gronk, Lloyd or Welker but this is usually because the defense has been cheating to stop the run and short passing game.  I expect BAL to do this a lot since the strength of their defense is their front 7 which matches up well with what we like to do offensively.

Conversely, BAL on offense stretches the field with Torrey Smith and keeps defenses honest vs. loading the box to stop Ray Rice.  Whether we target a tall or not so tall WR, I think we would benefit from a burner who can take the top off a defense.  We may have this on our roster next year if we try Demps at WR more than as a RB/returner. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

True.  But it is also about creating mis-matches at every level.  The presence of Welker and his ability to get YAC and sheer production gives us the passing stats you mention.  But we have become a ball control, short passing team since Moss left.  The addition of the 2 stud TEs has given us mismatches in the short and intermediate levels.  Occassionally we go deep to a Gronk, Lloyd or Welker but this is usually because the defense has been cheating to stop the run and short passing game.  I expect BAL to do this a lot since the strength of their defense is their front 7 which matches up well with what we like to do offensively.

Conversely, BAL on offense stretches the field with Torrey Smith and keeps defenses honest vs. loading the box to stop Ray Rice.  Whether we target a tall or not so tall WR, I think we would benefit from a burner who can take the top off a defense.  We may have this on our roster next year if we try Demps at WR more than as a RB/returner. 

[/QUOTE

Baltimore can't really hold NE's jock when it comes to offense though, averaging less YPG in both the run and pass.  I do see the value of speed on the perimeter and that wasn't what I was disputing... I was disagreeing with the notion that a big WR is a necessity.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

NFL Philosophy@NFLosophy

The below link looks to be where that story is stemming from... personally I'd be shocked if the Browns gave up the #6 pick for Mallet or even swapped 1st rounders.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1490462-nfl-draft-rumor-browns-considering-trading-6th-overall-pick-for-ryan-mallett

If they did pull off that kind of deal, I'd also bet money that BB would then use that pick to trade back to acquire more picks... though the allure of a marquee defender (Werner, Milliner, Lotulelei, etc.) would be tempting.

Mallett and our 1st for #6, done and done no trade backs then give me Lotulelei and run out of the draft laughing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE

Baltimore can't really hold NE's jock when it comes to offense though, averaging less YPG in both the run and pass.  I do see the value of speed on the perimeter and that wasn't what I was disputing... I was disagreeing with the notion that a big WR is a necessity.

I think we are in agreement.  I'm not saying that an outside threat needs to be tall, just fast with hands and route running skills.  Tall would be an added bonus.

As for BAL, they finished 16th overall in offense, 11th in rushing (NE was 7th), 15th in passing (NE was 4th).  But BAL always seems to put up better passing numbers against us then their average perhaps because of their great OL vs. our poor pass rush and weak secondary.  Also, Flacco is very hot right now which worries me.  Brady has his lowest passer rating against Baltimore for his career which also concerns me.  This is likely going to be a very tough and close game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

The mallet discussion is intriguing, but I can't see the browns giving up a 6th for him. The asking price of mallet and swaps of 1st round picks makes more sense. Cleveland retains a first and gets their QB. I don't think that price is too steep considering a week QB draft and the Browns displeasure witht their current QB stable. 

Lets. Assume for a second the above happens...what do you do with the 6th overall pick? I'd Star is still around, he is my selection. Imagine what that does for the pats. I'd not, I would trade 6 back to the mid early teens, pick Woerner and grab another 2nd or so. 

i get star or werner at 6.  they both could be gone by 5. no way werner lasts till mid teens.

if they are both gone i trade back 4-5 spots take jordan or ansah and pick up a top 10 2nd rd pick

i still say its a pats fantasy. but if it happens it will be teh biggest steal of the year. bigger than the talbi deal.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE

I think we are in agreement.  I'm not saying that an outside threat needs to be tall, just fast with hands and route running skills.  Tall would be an added bonus.

As for BAL, they finished 16th overall in offense, 11th in rushing (NE was 7th), 15th in passing (NE was 4th).  But BAL always seems to put up better passing numbers against us then their average perhaps because of their great OL vs. our poor pass rush and weak secondary.  Also, Flacco is very hot right now which worries me.  Brady has his lowest passer rating against Baltimore for his career which also concerns me.  This is likely going to be a very tough and close game.

Yessir... BTW, I sill owe you a sixer for that Thomas/Tate bet.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE

Yessir... BTW, I sill owe you a sixer for that Thomas/Tate bet.

I know you do, LOL.  Hey, what's the deal with Devin Taylor?  Mayock is talking him up.  He reminds of Chandler Jones, had 2 strips in the first half of the East/West. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

Happy Saturday, boys!  Below is my Mock V2:

Rd 1- DT- Jesse Williams (6-3 320) Alabama- Kid looks like an ideal fit as an interior tackle in BB’s 2-gap scheme.  He’s big, good burst off the snap, moves well laterally can eat the double and is very strong at the POA.  He’d look great next to VW in the middle. Alternatives: S Matt Elam Florida / OG Jon Cooper UNC

Rd 2- DE/OLB- Tank Carradine (6-5 265) Florida State- Great size, length, athleticism and motor… he can create off the edge and also has excellent potential as a run defender, the prototype of what BB looks for in an edge defender. Alternative: DE/OLB  John Simon Ohio State / OLB Brandon Jenkins Florida State

Rd 3- WR/PR Ace Sanders- (5-8 175) South Carolina- As quick, sudden, agile of a kid as I’ve seen on tape, this kid has elite movement ability and could be a huge weapon in NE’s offense and in the PR game. Alternative:  WR Ryan Swope Texas A&M / CB Darius Slay Miss State

Rd 7- DE Quinton Dial (6-6 305) Alabama- Big , long, strong 34 DE with the SEC/Saban pedigree. Alternative:  DL Kapron Lewis-Moore ND / WR TJ Moe Missouri

Rd 7- S Cooper Taylor (6-4 229) Richmond- Big, physical kid with good instincts, awareness and athleticism that could match up well against today’s bigger, more athletic TE’s.  Alternative: RB Spencer Ware (5-11 225) LSU / OG Jeff Baca UCLA

Like all of the picks except I can't see the Pats taking a third DL in round 7. Not enough roster spaces as they're loaded with back-up DL.  I would expect an OL here. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Lets. Assume for a second the above happens...what do you do with the 6th overall pick? I'd Star is still around, he is my selection. Imagine what that does for the pats. I'd not, I would trade 6 back to the mid early teens, pick Woerner antoughd grab another 2nd or so. 

tough 

i get star or werner at 6.  they both could be gone by 5. no way werner lasts till mid teens.

if they are both gone i trade back 4-5 spots take jordan or ansah and pick up a top 10 2nd rd pick

i still say its a pats fantasy. but if it happens it will be teh biggest steal of the year. bigger than the talbi deal.

imagine star next to wilfork with chandler and perhaps margus hunt rotating in with nink.  especially with mayo, hightower, and spikes playing LB.  Talk about a tough line to play against. Who would you double cover?  with mccourty at FS and talib, dennard and maybe mathaiu at CB. our only questionable spot woud be SS.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Guys, I know the draft is important and fun for us to follow but we can't ignore how important Free Agency is.  I just looked at our current 53 man roster.  Of those players only 26 came to us via the draft vs. 27 via free agency.  So, we should spend half of our efforts looking at the potential free agents that could become Patriots next year. 

The notable non Patriot drafted players currently on the 53 man roster include the following:

Starters

Connolly

Greggory

Lloyd

Love

Ninkovich

Talib

Welker

Wendell

Woodhead

Non-Starters:

Hooman

Koutouvides

McDonald

Rivera

Scott

Thomas

White

That is some serious manpower that came to us via trade or free agency.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Guys, I know the draft is important and fun for us to follow but we can't ignore how important Free Agency is.  I just looked at our current 53 man roster.  Of those players only 26 came to us via the draft vs. 27 via free agency.  So, we should spend half of our efforts looking at the potential free agents that could become Patriots next year. 

The notable non Patriot drafted players currently on the 53 man roster include the following:

Starters

Connolly

Greggory

Lloyd

Love

Ninkovich

Talib

Welker

Wendell

Woodhead

Non-Starters:

Hooman

Koutouvides

McDonald

Rivera

Scott

Thomas

White

That is some serious manpower that came to us via trade or free agency.

I agree, though I think we are pretty set for starters... well almost. Breaking it down as sure starters/back:

O :

• QB - Brady, Mallett
    • TE's - Gronk, Hern/Ballard/Fells (depending on if they move Hern to WR)
    • I'd resign Houm
    • RB's - Ridley, Vereen, Demps (if they don't move him to WR)
    • I'd resign Woodhead
    • WR - Lloyd: This is an area that you could really target a FA
    • I'd resign Welker and Edelman
    • C - Wendell - Maybe depth but I like what Wendell did this year
    • G - Mankins, Connolly - Again depth is needed maybe a RG but looks pretty good
    • T - Solder, Cannon
    • I'd resign Vollmer but to me that's a strong group

D:

• DT - Deadrick, Pryor, Wilfork, Love - I think we need another starter next to Wilfork chance in FA?
    • DE - Francis, Nink, Jones, Bequette 
    • I'd resign Scott then I think this group is pretty strong over all
    • LB - Fletcher, Mayo, Spikes, Hightower - I'd like to add a coverage LB but that's a solid group
    • S - McCourty, Wilson, Gregory, Ebner - I can't see adding a high priced FA and would actually be pretty happy with this group if they don't do anything
    • CB - Dennard, Ras, Williams

I'd resign Talib but again this is an area that needs depth or a starter if Talib isn't resigned

All in all you basically have minor depth and only really at WR, CB, and DT the rest are kind of minor pieces. The back end of the 48 man squad on game day. As we've seen WR and CB have been points of weakness in FA so not sure what to expect there. To me the best options are:

At WR: Bowe, Amendola, or Heartline. I see all fitting well with the Pats but I don't want to see Jennings (because of injury concerns) or Wallace (might as well resign Welker for the same cash)

At CB: there really isn't much. I like Grimes but honestly Talib is the best option and getting a CB in the draft at some point

At DT: I'd love to see Stark or Melton on board but not sure BB will pay that much. Getting one in the first might be the best option given the talent in the back of the 1st for DT's

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

Lets. Assume for a second the above happens...what do you do with the 6th overall pick? I'd Star is still around, he is my selection. Imagine what that does for the pats. I'd not, I would trade 6 back to the mid early teens, pick Woerner antoughd grab another 2nd or so. 

tough 

imagine star next to wilfork with chandler and perhaps margus hunt rotating in with nink.  especially with mayo, hightower, and spikes playing LB.  Talk about a tough line to play against. Who would you double cover?  with mccourty at FS and talib, dennard and maybe mathaiu at CB. our only questionable spot woud be SS.   

nate,

that's funny. while at the gym working out today thats exactly the thought i had. if we had # 6 and took star (my hunch is he could be gone unless like 3 qbs go in first 5), then the next pick of de's who might still be on the board when we pick might likely be hunt. okafor long gone. chance hunt gone too. if so, carradine, taylor still there.

in a preemptive plan (we get this pick befroe free agency), we take a top safety in fa.

now if star is gone and werner there, then we could go best dt, wr, cb or other in 2, 

and interior o line still in rd 3.

if neither there, we trade back 4-5 picks take jordan or ansah, get a high rd 2 pick (top 10), get an elite wr, dt, cb, safety and interior line in rd 3.

by the way, my thought is if pats want mathiew, we'd be lucky to get him in rd 2.

with demps and all the other offensive talent, we may have to cut spec teams. can hardly take other spec teams players. mathieu would have to be here because hes better than what we got.

i know his talent transcends his size, but he is small.

we dont need the speed so much any more (not in defecit), although there is redundancy to consider ie if demps were to get hurt, we wouldnt have a kcik returner.

when we add secondary,i woudl prefer tall cbs and tall and big safeties.