***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

.... Mallett and our 1st for #6, done and done no trade backs then give me Lotulelei and run out of the draft laughing

I think Star would have to really butcher his combine for him to not be picked in the top 3.

Hey a person can dream :p

Besides if it happened I wouldn't blaim BB for forgetting about the rest of the draft and just sit in the corner like Gollum strocking a picture of Star saying "my precise, we'z has big plans for you, my precise"

I would not be too fixated on Star. I believe the DLmen in next year's draft will collectively prove much better than this year. Also, the QBs will be of much higher quality. Demand for those high picks will be very high. 

Maybe package Mallett and NWE's 2013 first for the other team's 2013 second and 2014 first. I this could be a very tempting deal, as it eases the other team's need to use their first rounder on a QB that would be a first rounder in this class. That allows them to pick up a a good DLman in the process.

I am thinking, KCC, ARI or JAX might be good targets for this deal.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

.... Mallett and our 1st for #6, done and done no trade backs then give me Lotulelei and run out of the draft laughing

I think Star would have to really butcher his combine for him to not be picked in the top 3.

Besides if it happened I wouldn't blaim BB for forgetting about the rest of the draft and just sit in the corner like Gollum strocking a picture of Star saying "my precise, we'z has big plans for you, my precise"

laughing my @ss off....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Mb,

do the pats let Edelman walk? This army kid makes sense as a developmental type but for once would like us to grab a pure WR that has played the position for some time. 

There is also Ebert on the ps. Do you think this kid could fill edelmans shoes next year if we let Edelman walk? There are 2 things I like about Edelman I don't or haven't seen in Elbert's game..explosion and lack of fear. He is the perfect compliment but not someone I would make a cornerstone of the offense. 

agreed,, edelman stays on low $

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I would not be too fixated on Star. I believe the DLmen in next year's draft will collectively prove much better than this year. Also, the QBs will be of much higher quality. Demand for those high picks will be very high. 

Maybe package Mallett and NWE's 2013 first for the other team's 2013 second and 2014 first. I this could be a very tempting deal, as it eases the other team's need to use their first rounder on a QB that would be a first rounder in this class. That allows them to pick up a a good DLman in the process.

I am thinking, KCC, ARI or JAX might be good targets for this deal.

if its a 2014 top 5 thats a possibility.

thing is there are guys getting up there, nameley brady, etc and hay needs to made on superbowls now vs later. every year traded into bypasses somethign that could put us over this year. in 2 years who knows about heath of brady, fork, wrs, etc

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Nice...

do you think there is any meat to this mallet story?

The story does have legs imo. Mallett was considered a top 20 pick and possible a top 10 pick going into the draft if not for his off field concerns. Since being with the Pats those off field concerns have been addressed so some (like the Browns new VP) who were previously enamered with Mallett might see his value as such. Additionally we are dealing with a perfect storm of a large number of teams looking for QB's, a extremely weak FA/trade market, and a very weak draft class. Of course this trade would heavily favor the Pats so I think other things need to be included. Given the desperation of the Browns and the VP's love of Mallett I think a trade of Mallett our 1st and our 3rd for #6 and a 5th would be possible, maybe not likely but possible. If that does happen it has to be before the draft though because really there is only 1 player I see the Pats targetting that early (Star) so chances are he's a top 5 pick and gone before #6. If that happens then the Pats will want to move back into the teens and they won't be able to do that if the trade happens minutes before the pick.

Agree, and this supports everythimg I gave read. My guess is given bb and Lombardis relationship, this thing if executed would be well in advance of the draft. Also agree that Star would be the selection, but even if he is gone, bb now has more ammo via picks to trade down and accululated while possibly grabbing another stud in the 10-15 range like a Hankins or Richardson who I like both, or Jordan or even possibly Woerner. Tons of options to both draft and accumulate at the same time. 

in the teens werener doubtful, hankerson, richardson, ansah possible. jordan wildcard

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Below is my updated Big 32 Board:

Rd 1

DT- Jesse Williams

S- Matt Elam

OG- Jonathan Cooper

DT- John Jenkins

OL- Barrett Jones

Rd 1-2

CB- Logan Ryan

WR- DeAndre Hopkins

CB- Xavier Rhodes

DT- Sylvester Williams

CB- Jordan Poyer

Rd 2

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine

DE/OLB- Alex Okafor

DE/OLB- Margus Hunt

WR- Robert Woods

C/OG- Travis Frederick

Rd 2-3

OLB/DE- John Simon

OLB/DE- Brandon Jenkins

OT- Kyle Long

WR/PR- Ace Sanders

WR- Markus Wheaton

S- Shawn Williams

Rd 3

WR- Ryan Swope

DE/OLB- Lavar Edwards

CB- Darius Slay

LB- Kiko Alonso

S- Zeke Motta

Rd 4-7

WR- Conner Vernon

DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore

TE- Travis Kelce

DL- Quinton Dial

S- John Boyett

WR TJ Moe

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

are yo seeing these atlanta receivers?

thatts why i want xavier rhodes cb in draft and big safety in fa or draft

along with a pass rusher

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

mb, re big wr's how many balls have you seen off welkers fingertips or jsut out of his range.

a WR with a wingspan over a foot greater.woudl make a difference

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

we need a pass rusher:

look at the difference wiht balt o line and pats o line. 

brady whacked after 3 secs

we cant sniff flacco

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

baltimore has 2 big wrs.

we have none

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

offseason

2 big wr's

1 big cb

1 big safety

1 pass rusher

1 fast linebacker

best off coord we can get.

fire the coachign staff below bb.

hire a real gm. bb learns to share.

if that makes bb leave then so be it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Back to the drawing board. This team wins in the regular season but cant seal the deal when it matters . Without gronk this offense doesn't scare anyone. Welker can't be the number one option anymore. We lack athleticism on o and can use a talent like a Julio jones. Our defense completely different without Talib . Amazing how drastically it can change. We lack explosion , pass rush and have coverage issues. Can't believe it after we have invested so much.

guys, I am reeling like most of you. How do we get this team over the 8 year hump? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

is it time to burn the ships and start over? I am questioning if Brady can get it done, we have the right receivers and a defense that can stop a team when it matters.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Back to the drawing board. This team wins in the regular season but cant seal the deal when it matters . Without gronk this offense doesn't scare anyone. Welker can't be the number one option anymore. We lack athleticism on o and can use a talent like a Julio jones. Our defense completely different without Talib . Amazing how drastically it can change. We lack explosion , pass rush and have coverage issues. Can't believe it after we have invested so much.

guys, I am reeling like most of you. How do we get this team over the 8 year hump? 

And you think Ravens having Gronk would have scared the ravens?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

is it time to burn the ships and start over? I am questioning if Brady can get it done, we have the right receivers and a defense that can stop a team when it matters.....

I believe he can, but the team may need to reconsider its philosophies on game planning.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Agreed, he's definitely offseason priority #1 on the defensive side of the ball.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Agreed, he's definitely offseason priority #1 on the defensive side of the ball.

Agree, but also a wr needed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to dwhite1220's comment:

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Agree, but also a wr needed.

Def interested to see how they address the WR position with both WW and Edelman hitting FA.  I suspect that they'll tag WW and resign Edelman, but I'm also a proponent of addressing the position on atleast Day 2 of the draft.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to Faucetman's comment:

Guys, I know the draft is important and fun for us to follow but we can't ignore how important Free Agency is.  I just looked at our current 53 man roster.  Of those players only 26 came to us via the draft vs. 27 via free agency.  So, we should spend half of our efforts looking at the potential free agents that could become Patriots next year. 

The notable non Patriot drafted players currently on the 53 man roster include the following:

Starters

Connolly

Greggory

Lloyd

Love

Ninkovich

Talib

Welker

Wendell

Woodhead

Non-Starters:

Hooman

Koutouvides

McDonald

Rivera

Scott

Thomas

White

That is some serious manpower that came to us via trade or free agency.

hi fuacet, ive been discussing fa acquisitons as part of my whole offseason strategy: draft, non pat fa and pat fa's.

I know you have, sorry, I'm way behind on here...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Does anyone think BB will double dip like he did with TEs and RBs?  I think he might if he can trade back and accumulate more picks.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Senior Bowl Weigh-in

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/01/2013-senior-bowl-weigh-in-results.html

Notes:

Margus Hunt  6'8.2    277lbs

J Jenkins       6"3.7    359lbs

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Part of our problem with the draft is we don't seem to take into consideration durability issues.  Case in point, Ras-I Dowling.  I was screaming, "NO" to the high heavens not to take him because he can't stay healthy, not only do we take him, we take him a round too high at pick 33!!!  In two seasons, he started 2 games, appeared in 7 others and has amassed an eye popping: 10 tackles, 1 pass defended.

Even Gronk had injury issues.  Great player when healthy but he missed 5 games this year and was out for most of the play-offs the last two years when he was needed most.

Ron Brace, drafted in the second round.  After an injury plagued stint in NE, he was waived last month - a complete BUST!!

Terrance Wheatley, ditto

Chandler Jones - traded up to get him in the first.  Shows tremendous promise but battled injuries in college.  He missed three games earlier this year, and was basically a no-show for a fourth against JAX where he had no stats, then disappeared in the play-offs. 

Patrick Chung - High 2nd round pick.  He started only half of the regular season games the past two season, hurt for many of them and when healthy is playing behind a SD Charger throw-away.

Jermaine Cunningham - Another 2nd round wasted pick.  After starting ZERO games in 2011, he showed promise this year until he got suspended for 4 games then was a non-factor last night.

Brandon Spikes - Yet another 2nd round ???  In 2011, he get suspended 4 games, then hurt for 4 more starting in only 6 games.  He missed two more games this year due to injury.  A good run stuffer but a liability in the passing game.

Not drafted by us but signed with injury concerns include Talib, Demps, and Ballard.

In all 14 players ended the season on IR or PUP including main contributers, Gronk, Edelman, Barrett, Dowling, Demps, Fletcher, Stallworth, Ballard and Pryor. 

I'd like to see us actually draft players who have shown they were durable in college for a change.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

offseason

2 big wr's

1 big cb

1 big safety

1 pass rusher

1 fast linebacker

best off coord we can get.

fire the coachign staff below bb.

hire a real gm. bb learns to share.

if that makes bb leave then so be it.

I agree with your player needs exactly but not sure I agree McDaniel's should be fired.  He led the #1 Offense that outscored the #2 offense by 100 points.  He brought back a credible running game.  But, he called a poor game against the Ravens, either he or BB.  We were way to conservative on those 4th and makeable distances inside the Raven's 35.  But some of this is Brady.  Brady just does not play well against the Ravens.  He plays the worst against them.

Thankfully Ray is gone and I hope Ed too.  But the Ravens still have a load D. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Mb or whoever,

What is the deal with Kenneth Tate, LB Maryland?  Remember a couple of years ago when he was a S a lot of us thought top 10 pick.  Then he transitioned to OLB.  He's listed at 6-4, 220.  I remember some vicious hits he got on the QB on safety blitzes.  Might he be able to switch back to strong safety or play nickel LB?  Right now it's 50/50 if this kid even gets drafted.

Sections
Shortcuts