***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

In response to Faucetman's comment:

Mb or whoever,

What is the deal with Kenneth Tate, LB Maryland?  Remember a couple of years ago when he was a S a lot of us thought top 10 pick.  Then he transitioned to OLB.  He's listed at 6-4, 220.  I remember some vicious hits he got on the QB on safety blitzes.  Might he be able to switch back to strong safety or play nickel LB?  Right now it's 50/50 if this kid even gets drafted.

Faucet, he is projected by NFLDRAFTScout as #31 out of 252 OLBs.  Had a right knee injury earlier in his career. Projected to run a 4.74 forty.  I would say a bit slow for safety.  7th round or UDFA.

Thanks for the update.  Shame, the kid looked so promising two years ago.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Below are some notable "measurables" from the Senior Bowl:

DT- John Jenkins- 6037-359, 33.1/8 arms.

OLB- Chase Thomas- 6-31-241 (smaller than I had hoped), would be more of an ILB in NE's scheme.

DE/OLB- Michael Buchanan- 6051-252, 33.1/4 arms.  I liked this kid better than Mercilus when reviewing Illinois tape last year.  Prob a Rd 2-4 kid.

DE- Margus Hunt- 6082 277, 33.3/8 arms.  Kid is friQQin long!

DT- Kawaan Short- 6032-308, 33.34 arms.  Lighter than I thought he'd be.

DE- John Simon- 6014 256, 32.3/4 arms.  Interested to see how much or if Meyer/Vrabel can influence here.

OT- DJ Fluker- 644-355, 36.38 arms.

DE/OLB- Ziggy Ansah- Measureables should be available today.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Some things have been painfully clear.

#1 We need more and better CB's. I'd make Talib signing priority #1 this offseason as the team is drastically different without him then with him. Beyond that they need depth and lots of it. Lets face it Williams, Cole, Arrington you can let them all go and I don't trust Ras to stay healthy as far as I can kick him

#2 We need an inside pass rush. The outside rushers seemed to be fine but Flacco just stepped up into the pocket all day. When you have 5yrds to step up it doesn't matter if the outside edge rush collapses the ends you can just step up. It was clear doubling Wilfork basically meant Flacco had a clean pocket. They desperately need someone next to Wilfork to take advantage of the double team

#3 We need a receiver to fight for the ball. Gronk is the only one of our receiving corp that will fight for a ball but he's not always there. Now I don't think they need to completely rebuild the WR core with large guys but they need at least 1 guy who can do it. 1 person that creates match up issues and no a deep threat isn't that type of guy. I'm thinking a Manningham, Bolden, Bowe type of guy.

Just looking over FA and draft here's what I'd like to see:

FA:

WR - Let Welker go. It's painful for me to say that but I think his money could be better used in other places. Sign Bowe. He's a bigger possession WR who can play on all 3 levels and make plays after the catch. He's exactly what the doctor calls for. Unless the Giants are not smart enough to tender Cruz at the top RFA level then I'd gladly give up some picks for Cruz

DT - I'd love to see Melton or Starks in here but they could price themselves out. Frankly if you don't get either then I'm not even looking at the FA market for an interior pass rush

CB - I want Talib back but in addition some guys I'm looking for in FA as solid #2/3 guys Tony Carter, Chris Houston, Keenan Lewis

Draft:

1st - To me the 1st has to go on the D side. I want an interior rusher or a CB but there are limited options where we are sitted. To me it boils down to 3 guys Rhodes, Jenkins, Williams. All 3 have a shot of being there in the back of the 20's and all 3 would be upgrades to what we currently have on the roster.

2nd - This is where it spreads out a bit and there is more debate on players but again I'm primarily looking at 3 guys McFadden CB, Hunt DE/DT,  Da'Rick Rogers. McFadden to me is a guy I really like. I want to see how he does at the bowl against better competition but I just see this kid as being an extremely solid dependable cover corner in the league. Hunt is a guy who can swing inside or out which makes him a 3 down player. If he gains another 10lbs he could be a very solid D player on the line with trememdous flexibility. Rogers is a first round talent if not for off field drug concerns but BB doesn't seem to shy away from that it the value is right. Rogers is the big ellusive WR I think we need, if he can keep his noise clean

3rd - Back to the skill position I'm look exclusively at DB's and a WR here. I really like Hyde as a potential bigger slot CB or a S conversion and also Sanders Commings who is a bigger CB and had a great game against Tenn's top end WR talent. For WR there's really only two names for me Ryan Swope who started the season off really slow but had great games against Ala and Miss state. He destroyed Ala's secondary which is impressive enough and deserves a long look. The other WR is Markus Wheaton. He can be explosive once the ball is in his hands but I'd like to see video of what he looks like against better competition.

My ideal offseason - 

FA - Sign Talib, Bowe, Starks, Vollmer, Edelman, Woodhead, depth on OL

Draft - 1st Rhodes, 2nd Hunt (Starks makes Williams and Jenkins redundant), 3rd Wheaton/Swope (depending on bowl), trade into 5th Tyrann Mathieu (hedging CB bets)

I'd be pretty happy with that offseason

Multiple reports say that he had a very good day 1.  Showed very well in zone, was quick and instinctive.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Does anyone think BB will double dip like he did with TEs and RBs?  I think he might if he can trade back and accumulate more picks.

For which position?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Nice list PatsEng. Question, if you don't land an FA DT, where do you get one? Hunt I like, but is he a kid that can play inside next to vw and command doubles and penetrate?

bowe would be interesting here. I question his football smarts and ability to pick up the offense, but his skill and size is near perfect. 

If they don't get a DT via FA then I'm targetting one in the first. Either Jenkins or Williams but they need someone next to Wilfork in a bad way. So either spend in FA or spend early in the Draft

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:

Kansas St WR Chris Harper vs Baylor + West Virginia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trVKhJt7MkM

Positives:

• Good size
    • Catches the ball well / hands catcher
    • Has some RAC ability

Negatives:

• Doesn't seperate
    • Looks like a 4.6 kid
    • Put the ball on the ground twice

Projection:

Poor man's Anquan Boldin.  Looks like a possession type kid at the NFL level, that can help move the chains and also provides value in the red zone as you saw in this tape with his ability shield defenders with this size. Mid-Late Day 3 kid.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

Mb or whoever,

What is the deal with Kenneth Tate, LB Maryland?  Remember a couple of years ago when he was a S a lot of us thought top 10 pick.  Then he transitioned to OLB.  He's listed at 6-4, 220.  I remember some vicious hits he got on the QB on safety blitzes.  Might he be able to switch back to strong safety or play nickel LB?  Right now it's 50/50 if this kid even gets drafted.

I do remember discussing him... a lot depends on his speed, but intriguing size for that S/LB hybrid type.  Agree that he's prob late round at best.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Nice list PatsEng. Question, if you don't land an FA DT, where do you get one? Hunt I like, but is he a kid that can play inside next to vw and command doubles and penetrate?

bowe would be interesting here. I question his football smarts and ability to pick up the offense, but his skill and size is near perfect. 

If they don't get a DT via FA then I'm targetting one in the first. Either Jenkins or Williams but they need someone next to Wilfork in a bad way. So either spend in FA or spend early in the Draft

I'd even toss WR DeAndre Hopkins into the late Rd 1 discussion or even as an option early in Rd 2 if they trade back.... same with DT Sylvester Williams.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

I'd even toss WR DeAndre Hopkins into the late Rd 1 discussion or even as an option early in Rd 2 if they trade back.... same with DT Sylvester Williams.

Truthfully MB I don't even want to touch the WR position in the 1st. I don't think that will give the biggest bang for the buck. You saw the impact of Talib on the game andwe all see the difference when the DL gets pressure on opposing QB's but I'm not confident a WR will bring that large of an effect to the O overall. I'm looking closer to FA or the 2nd-3rd range for a WR. Heck there is a 1st round talent who could drop to the 3rd because of BB's favorite off field issue (drugs) in Rogers

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

First order of the off season is to re-sign own FA's,then work on the positions needing repairs,then comes the draft which is where BB has to take a DB,IDL,and a receiver whose over 6'2" tall and able too make catches in the clutch! Welker can come back but not at 9.5 mil! Maybe 3 mil per over 4yrs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

First order of the off season is to re-sign own FA's,then work on the positions needing repairs,then comes the draft which is where BB has to take a DB,IDL,and a receiver whose over 6'2" tall and able too make catches in the clutch! Welker can come back but not at 9.5 mil! Maybe 3 mil per over 4yrs.

ok, we have the order straight but which FA's do you want to resign? Which players or positions do you want to target in FA? Which players are you looking at for the draft? Need a little more out of you sports before we can have a discussion otherwise yes I agree that's the order

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Does anyone think BB will double dip like he did with TEs and RBs?  I think he might if he can trade back and accumulate more picks.

For which position?

Sorry, MB   I was thinking WR.  He surprised us in the past with TEs and RBs.  Why not?  2nd and 7th or trade back. I think this only happens if Welker is not back.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I think DT and CB are the two most pressing needs.

I don't know if you noticed in the 4th, VW was not getting any push anymore. I don't know if they were getting gassed. Probably the latter, because they would pull him out. Making things worse, I think Deaderick was trying to push the VW's double team to the side, but he was so ineffective, he just crowded VW. Making things even worse, when VW is not in, Ravens just pounded the ball inside and it was a sure 4-6 yards for them. 

First, they need a pass-rushing 300+ lb DT. Watt is the idealized version of this. Someone who is 2/3 as good would really be an upgrade over Deaderick. I don't get why people say this guy's improving. 

On CB, I am hoping they get a pretty good one who's not as fragile as Dowling. Ideally someone 6' +. If they're going tog et someone samller, he;d better have the mental toughness of Dennard at least.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

For which position?

Sorry, MB   I was thinking WR.  He surprised us in the past with TEs and RBs.  Why not?  2nd and 7th or trade back. I think this only happens if Welker is not back.

I hate the notion of doubling down on O though. We've gone O crazy since the SB D's starting to retire and it has gotten us nothing. I think this D is close, real close to being like it was pre-07' and are just a couple pieces away. If we were to double down I'd like to double down on the DL or with the CB's. Frankly I think a combo of Rhodes, McFadden/Mathieu or a combo of Jenkins/S. Williams, Hunt/Sutton would have a greater impact then adding two WRs

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Multiple reports say that he had a very good day 1.  Showed very well in zone, was quick and instinctive.

Good, I think this kid has the potential to be a steal in the second, of course if his stock doesn't rocket skyward first

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I was just going through my old notes and came across a name I circled but never really followed. A guy by the name Daniel McCullers out of Tenn. He's a 6'8" 360lb DT which average speed for his size. I notice I put down raw as a note. Given his size that's a lot of man, did anyone keep tabs on him to see if he improved through the year?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

For which position?

I hate the notion of doubling down on O though. We've gone O crazy since the SB D's starting to retire and it has gotten us nothing. I think this D is close, real close to being like it was pre-07' and are just a couple pieces away. If we were to double down I'd like to double down on the DL or with the CB's. Frankly I think a combo of Rhodes, McFadden/Mathieu or a combo of Jenkins/S. Williams, Hunt/Sutton would have a greater impact then adding two WRs

I like it.  I wondering if BB would trade back to do this though.  I see the the same level talent in the 2nd and third.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

I was just going through my old notes and came across a name I circled but never really followed. A guy by the name Daniel McCullers out of Tenn. He's a 6'8" 360lb DT which average speed for his size. I notice I put down raw as a note. Given his size that's a lot of man, did anyone keep tabs on him to see if he improved through the year?

Didn't keep up but I know he is going back to school.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Didn't keep up but I know he is going back to school.

He is going back to school.

Have you seen this kid? Holy cow. He's not 360 lbs. John Jenkins is 360 lbs. This kid looks more like 450 lbs. The only thing in question is if he has legs that can push all that weight plus the OLman. He is definitely huge, literally. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

For which position?

I'm with you in that I'm hoping to see them address the Defense early in this draft, whether it be a DT or DB or edge player, etc... though I think a potential #1 type WR at least has to be considered.  If they were to double down, I would think it would be Day 2/Day 3, etc.

One thing that was evident to me on Sunday was their lack of depth at the DT position... once Love went down, they had only Deaderick to roll with and if I remember correctly (had a few drinks),  on one drive they were using Deaderick and Cunningham only (or atleast for a good portion of it), with Wilfork on the sideline (was he injured)?  I'm still of he belief that games are won upfront and this is why I think DT will be the pick, whether it be Jesse Williams, John Jenkins or Sylvester Williams etc... I'd then be looking DB (Elam/Rhodes/Ryan) followed by OL (Cooper/Jones) / WR (Hopkins).  Cooper could be the best player left on the board, regardless of position which makes him intriguing... kid will be an All Pro, IMO.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Damn, McCullers was an interesting prospect but going back was a good choice on his part. He is raw and if he can develop some moves and round off some rough edges he could push for a 1st round selection the year after

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I'm with you in that I'm hoping to see them address the Defense early in this draft, whether it be a DT or DB or edge player, etc... though I think a potential#1 type WR at least has to be considered.  If they were to double down, I would think it would be Day 2/Day 3, etc.

One thing that was evident to me on Sunday was their lack of depth at the DT position... once Love went down, they had only Deaderick to roll with and if I remember correctly (had a few drinks),  on one drive they were using Deaderick and Cunningham only (or atleast for a good portion of it), with Wilfork on the sideline (was he injured)?  I'm still of he belief that games are won upfront and this is why I think DT will be the pick, whether it be Jesse Williams, John Jenkins or Sylvester Williams etc... I'd then be looking DB (Elam/Rhodes/Ryan) followed by OL (Cooper/Jones) / WR (Hopkins).  Cooper could be the best player left on the board, regardless of position which makes him intriguing... kid will be an All Pro, IMO.

That is the part I really get worried about. This team is one injury away (Wilfork) from being an 8-8 season. Even without Talib, this team can make adjustments to win 11 maybe 12. No adjustment can overcome an injured VW.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Love and deaderick are decent depth players....not good enough to start on ouR DL. I am with you PatsEng on the DT choices. I think we would need to move up in round 2 to have a chance at Rhodes, but I like him if we are adding depth to the defensive backfield. A lot depends upon Talib. We need to resign him. Finding a starting caliber cb is going to be hard to do, and I want a guy like Talib back there that has size, experience and an edge. 

Personally, I would like to see some more speed at lb, but lower on my priority list. 

Given we were successful converting mccourty to safety, what are the chances we do the same with Arrington or dowling? Arrington plays a physical game, and he can blitz, play in the box, and is a solid tackler. Not as fast as mccourty but maybe he plays best with the ball in front of him. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Love and deaderick are decent depth players....not good enough to start on ouR DL. I am with you PatsEng on the DT choices. I think we would need to move up in round 2 to have a chance at Rhodes, but I like him if we are adding depth to the defensive backfield. A lot depends upon Talib. We need to resign him. Finding a starting caliber cb is going to be hard to do, and I want a guy like Talib back there that has size, experience and an edge. 

Personally, I would like to see some more speed at lb, but lower on my priority list. 

Given we were successful converting mccourty to safety, what are the chances we do the same with Arrington or dowling? Arrington plays a physical game, and he can blitz, play in the box, and is a solid tackler. Not as fast as mccourty but maybe he plays best with the ball in front of him. 

Ras has the better chance of converting imo. Just a better player at breaking down plays. Arrington I could let go and not even think about it. His time here is marked by lucky games. Sometimes he looks like a starter and others completely lost. He's made the same mistakes over and over again while getting the same essential production down the middle. I'm not even sure I'd want him as a 3rd CB if there is a better option available

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Nice upside pickup today for BB/NC, 6-5 300 DE Armond Armstead... I remember posting about this kid pre-draft last year... his medicals must've been awful due to the hear issue, because this kid is a very good package of size/length/athleticism... believe I remember him rushing out off the edge out of a 2-point stance while at SC.

Very good low rish, high upside pickup.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/