WR- Ryan Swope

Rd 4-7

S- Zeke Motta

DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore

DL- Quinton Dial

TE- Travis Kelce

RB- Spencer Ware

S- Cooper Taylor

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

What's up everyone?  Just read the last 3-4 pages, many great thoughts.  Most of us agree on NE's primary needs this offseason (Impact DL; Outside WR; Stud Safety; CB stability...Talib???; Coverage LB; etc...)  Once Senior Bowl and Combine get over, we will have a better idea of which prospects will likely be available where.  At a glance, we look light on draft picks this year, but remember, we should see at least one Comp Pick in addition to what we already have.  Also, the signings of Demps, Ballard, and Armstead are almost like free quality prospects.  None are guaranteed, but all are high-ceiling guys who have a great chance to make a positive impact on our team.  Way to go BB!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Barkevious Mingo-DE...

Justin Hunter-WR

Montee Ball-RB..Or-Spencer Ware..

Jarvis Jones-OLB.

*Eric Reid-FS..

*Tyrann Mathieu-Kick And Punt Return..?

My Likes.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:

looks like margus hunt isn't what i and some others thought he was. projected to be taken around the 4th round. same with ansah.. guess that's why i don't get paid to do this stuff lol.

http://football.realgm.com/src_article/2244/20130124/project_pass_rush/

DE's alex okafor and datone jones getting rave reviews so far at the senior bowl practices

http://football.realgm.com/src_article/2243/20130123/senior_bowl_notes_tuesday/

Not sure if anyone had him in the 1st so I wouldn't say he isn't what we think he is yet. Don't forget many, except a few on this board, had Vollmer in the 4th too. I think a lot of us projected Hunt late 2nd to early 4th range, but I've seen him everywhere from the back of the 1st to the 5th because of physical ceiling vs rawness. The group you reference is just one source and appearent only projects stats and not really on raw ability and physical ceiling. For a team that looks at him and says they can maximize his abilities you are looking at a 2nd round pick to get him. If you see him as too raw and it's going to take a lot for him to develop then you are looking in the 4th. Either way he's a day 2 kid

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

FYI, Senior Bowl Roster additions

- Several players were late additions to the roster, here are their updated measurements:

OT Terron Armstread, Arkansas-Pine Bluff (6-5, 306)
    DT Josh Boyd, Mississippi State (6-3, 312)
    RB Mike James, Miami (5-11, 222)
    DE Travis Johnson, San Jose State (6-2, 244)
    WR Alec Lemon, Syracuse (6-1, 200)
    OLB Sio Moore, Connecticut (6-1, 240)
    OLB Ty Powell, Harding (6-2, 245)
    WR Russell Shepard, LSU (6-0, 194)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/21605128/2013-senior-bowl-wednesday-risers-fallers

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

SI's Don Banks has NE taking Matt Elam in Rd 1... smart guy ;)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130124/2013-nfl-mock-draft-1/?sct=hp_t11_a3&eref=sihp

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

JJ,
    The most intriguing name on that list IMO, is Josh Boyd... good sized DT that's strong at the POA... not much of a passrusher, but could provide potential depth in the middle... also hails from the same college as Kyle Love.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:

Barkevious Mingo-DE...

Justin Hunter-WR

Jarvis Jones-OLB.

*Eric Reid-FS..

My Likes.....

Of that list, Ware, Reid, Hunter & Mathieu (if he's there late) are the most likely to end up in Foxboro.  Jones and Mingo in particular won't be available when NE selects and I don't see them touching a RB not named Eddie Lacy anywhere in the Top 64... though possible late in the draft (Ware).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130124/2013-nfl-mock-draft-1/?sct=hp_t11_a3&eref=sihp

went there and also clicked on another link that had  just rankings ( no team select)and Elam  was 29 there too. #30 was Barrett Jones the Alabama lineman ( I say that because this year was center , but played, I believe started all 4 years and at all Ol positions). Watched the champ game bit they did on him and he seems to be exceptionally smart and with his position flexability. he seems like then prototypical BB guy.

Questions though

- at 305 ..big enough?

- is he a #29 value ( starter) and would he last to #59

PS I love his feistieness, when he pushed McCarron out of his face, when game was determined and on feild criticism was hardly needed. Also like many of then Alabama guys ..he had a "hot" mom.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

MB, what do you think of his 5'10" size?

After watching DMC and Gregory, I'm thinking we need a bigger, more powerful safety back there as an enforcer.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:

Barkevious Mingo-DE...

Justin Hunter-WR

Jarvis Jones-OLB.

*Eric Reid-FS..

My Likes.....

Of that list, Ware, Reid, Hunter & Mathieu (if he's there late) are the most likely to end up in Foxboro.  Jones and Mingo in particular won't be available when NE selects and I don't see them touching a RB not named Eddie Lacy anywhere in the Top 64... though possible late in the draft (Ware).

you think lacy is better than giovani bernard? 

I do... love his combo of size, power, balance and movement ability. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:

MB, what do you think of his 5'10" size?

After watching DMC and Gregory, I'm thinking we need a bigger, more powerful safety back there as an enforcer.

Not overly concerned with his height, for example Earl Thomas is roughly the same size and could be the best S in football.  Elam is very well put together, both in his upper and lower body... very solid... prob 210+ pounds.

Elam is also the enforcer type that this defense, being one of the more physical players in this draft... kid will hit anything that moves... also one of the better tacklers in this S class.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mgraham's comment:

went there and also clicked on another link that had  just rankings ( no team select)and Elam  was 29 there too. #30 was Barrett Jones the Alabama lineman ( I say that because this year was center , but played, I believe started all 4 years and at all Ol positions). Watched the champ game bit they did on him and he seems to be exceptionally smart and with his position flexability. he seems like then prototypical BB guy.

Questions though

- at 305 ..big enough?

PS I love his feistieness, when he pushed McCarron out of his face, when game was determined and on feild criticism was hardly needed. Also like many of then Alabama guys ..he had a "hot" mom.

I think 305-310 is plenty big for an OG in NE's scheme.

Jones is off the board in the Top 40, IMO.  I also think he can start Day 1 for them at either C (Wendell is likely to keep that job) or OG.  I have Jones behind UNC OG Jon Cooper on my board.

I too liked that he pushed McCarron... and while I don't know the reason that McCarron was yapping, the game was long over, so I'm not sure what he was trying to accomplish... like the competitive spirit on both ends though... would love to see McCarron in Foxoro some day.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Just heard Shefter say on Cowherd's show that if BAL let's go of Ed Reed, as they rebuild, NWE is one of few teams who could afford to get him. 

That would be an interesting predicament. NWE has to figure out who to sign...

Talib

Vollmer

Welker

Reed would be an interesting addition in that equation. Personally, I would prefer investing on the younger guys.

Talib first, Vollmer next.

Between Welker and Reed, I might actually go for Reed. Let Welker explore FA. I don;t think he will command the money he is asking for. If at all I think, he'd end up back with NWE on money that reflects a slower receiver in his 30s.

That said, NWE also has to consider a Reed deal having the potential of ending up being like the AD Thomas situation. Why would someone want to play his heart out for a team that his former team hated? It boils down to whether Reed would play for more than money. I actually doubt it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to mgraham's comment:

Questions though

- at 305 ..big enough?

I think 305-310 is plenty big for an OG in NE's scheme.

Jones is off the board in the Top 40, IMO.  I also think he can start Day 1 for them at either C (Wendell is likely to keep that job) or OG.  I have Jones behind UNC OG Jon Cooper on my board.

I too liked that he pushed McCarron... and while I don't know the reason that McCarron was yapping, the game was long over, so I'm not sure what he was trying to accomplish... like the competitive spirit on both ends though... would love to see McCarron in Foxoro some day.

You are absolutely correct there. For the pass first mentality, that can win a lot of reg season games, that size at OG will be fine.

However, that size for OGs may also be the reason that limits their versatility - i.e., their inability to run the ball against better front 3s or 4s, who happen to be who they have to deal with in the playoffs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I know this is unpopular on these boards, but I really hope NWE does not trade up. Maybe I am mistaken, but I believe  they should load up on high picks for next year. 2014 is looking like a much more talent-rich class than 2013.

Just looking at the QB class, before seeing some others that will emerge, more interesting than this year's. I think teams will overbid for those picks.

McCarron

Murray

Manziel

Bridgewater

Thomas (I don't think he declared)

Pats have only a few holes to fill in order to fix what ails them. They have enough picks this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Just heard Shefter say on Cowherd's show that if BAL let's go of Ed Reed, as they rebuild, NWE is one of few teams who could afford to get him. 

Talib

Vollmer

Welker

Reed would be an interesting addition in that equation. Personally, I would prefer investing on the younger guys.

Between Welker and Reed, I might actually go for Reed. Let Welker explore FA. I don;t think he will command the money he is asking for. If at all I think, he'd end up back with NWE on money that reflects a slower receiver in his 30s.

That said, NWE also has to consider a Reed deal having the potential of ending up being like the AD Thomas situation. Why would someone want to play his heart out for a team that his former team hated? It boils down to whether Reed would play for more than money. I actually doubt it.

Not actually sure why they think Reed is going to get a big money deal, honestly. Given his age and recent injuries I might place him 5th down the list for S's this offseason. Behind Byrd, Goldson, Delmas, and maybe Moore. Heck even Quin made a McCourty type of jump to S this year and might challenge Reed in standing. Sorry to say a 35 yr old S who's best asset is his coverage skills isn't worth a long or big payday. If he came in at 1-2 yrs 4mil per I'd take him with open arms but anymore would be risky imo, given other holes that need to be filled.

Really if they are saying the Pats are the only team who could afford to get him then they can afford to get Byrd or Goldson

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Talib

Vollmer

Welker

Not actually sure why they think Reed is going to get a big money deal, honestly. Given his age and recent injuries I might place him 5th down the list for S's this offseason. Behind Byrd, Goldson, Delmas, and maybe Moore. Heck even Quin made a McCourty type of jump to S this year and might challenge Reed in standing. Sorry to say a 35 yr old S who's best asset is his coverage skills isn't worth a long or big payday. If he came in at 1-2 yrs 4mil per I'd take him with open arms but anymore would be risky imo, given other holes that need to be filled.

Really if they are saying the Pats are the only team who could afford to get him then they can afford to get Byrd or Goldson

Perhaps for different reasons, but I think we are agree that is a transaction NWE should not do. In your case, you have a threshold of $4M per. As I think about this more, I don't think Reed has $4M worth of heart (for the Pats) and health combined. 

In Welker's case, I am torn. I can't remember what amount of guaranteed money he was looking for last year. The tag if I am not mistaken basically gave him a big chunk of that guaranteed money. Does that mean he is willing to take on a deal that reflects the remainder of that guaranteed money or is he going to ask the same guaranteed money he asked for last year. 

I prefer spending $9M on creating a more well-rounded team, than on one receiver. I know he's ben a crutch for TB. But his presence on the team is also what allows TB to use him as a crutch. On the other hand, if WW was not around, I'm sure Gronk will be that crutch.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

As a die-hard Wazzu fan & alumni, this pains me to say, but I would love to see BB draft UW's Desmond Trufant in the 2nd round.  I've seen a lot of him during his time at UW, and I've always thought he has the ability and the confidence to be a very good pro.  The knock on him is that he is not the strongest CB in run support, but his coverage and ball skills are among the best in the country.  If we resign Talib, CB won't be a huge need, but if this guy were to be there at the end of the second round it would be very good value, IMO.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

As a die-hard Wazzu fan & alumni, this pains me to say, but I would love to see BB draft UW's Desmond Trufant in the 2nd round.  I've seen a lot of him during his time at UW, and I've always thought he has the ability and the confidence to be a very good pro.  The knock on him is that he is not the strongest CB in run support, but his coverage and ball skills are among the best in the country.  If we resign Talib, CB won't be a huge need, but if this guy were to be there at the end of the second round it would be very good value, IMO.

doubt he makes it to the end of round 2 many are projecting him as a sure fire round 1 pick.

I don't know.  The recent mocks that I've seen have him early 3rd round (walterfootball & nepatriotsdraft).  This is a deep CB class and guys will rise and fall a lot up and down draft boards in the coming months, but as of today I don't think that late 2nd round is an unrealistic assumption for Trufant.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

doubt he makes it to the end of round 2 many are projecting him as a sure fire round 1 pick.

I don't know.  The recent mocks that I've seen have him early 3rd round (walterfootball & nepatriotsdraft).  This is a deep CB class and guys will rise and fall a lot up and down draft boards in the coming months, but as of today I don't think that late 2nd round is an unrealistic assumption for Trufant.

nfldraftscout has him as the #3 CB, ahead of Banks and Poyer. I tend to agree with that. Check the youtube on Banks and Poyer and I don't see CBs better than Trufant on cover. Unfortunately, I did not find a Trufant-centered youtube.

I agree, he would fit in teh Pats. I don't believe that everyone in teh secondary ahs to be good against the run. If he can be that excellent CB against the pass, there should be a place for him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'd agree with this projection... not that mocks have any true bearing on the actual outcome, but I've seen him mostly as a Day 2 kid.  I do think that he'll be a solid get for some team in that range.

Sections
Shortcuts