***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

Also here are some names I like at our positions of need. I am sure most of them have been brought up before, but in case some haven't, here they are.

Outside WR (not nessacarily deep threat, but someone who can win outside and has speed)

WR Robert Woods, USC (Rd.2) - Polished WR, not the most physically gifted, but knows how to win outside.

WR Terrance Williams, Baylor (Rd.2)

WR DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson (Rd.2)

WR Quinton Patton, LA Tech (Rd.2-3)

WR Marquise Goodwin, Texas (Rd.3)

WR Aaron Dobson, Marshall (Rd.3-4)

WR Tavarres King, Georgia (Rd. 4-5)

Interior D-Line

DT Shariff Floyd, Florida (Rd.1)

DT Jesse Williams, Alabama (Rd.1)

DT Sylvester Williams, UNC (Rd.2)

DT Bennie Logan, LSU (Rd.3-4)

Defensive End

DE Dion Jordan, Oregon (Rd.1) - He will be gone, but love him as a player.

DE Datone Jones, UCLA (Rd.1) -Personal favorite of mine. Can play all over. Could be DT in sub packages.

DE Tank Carradine, Florida St. (Rd.3) - Would have been 1st rounder without question until he tore ACL. Could be steal in mid rounds.

DE Joe Kruger, Utah (Rd.5-7) - Has NFL bloodlines, and great size (6-6, 280). He is raw, but talented. Could be good developmental guy.

"Coverage" LB (Clearly an area of struggle for this team, this past year)

LB Alec Ogletree, Georgia  (Rd.1) - Likely out of Pats range. But love him as a player.

LB Khaseem Greene, Rutgers (Rd.2)

LB Arthur Brown, Kansas State (Rd.2)

LB Trevardo Williams/LB Sio Moore, UConn (Rd.3-4)

LB Devonte Holloman, South Carolina (Rd.4)

LB Kenny Tate, Maryland (Rd.6-7)

Cornerback

CB Jordan Poyer, Oregon State (Rd.1-2)

CB Desmond Trufant, Washington (Rd.1-2)

CB Logan Ryan, Rutgers (Rd.2)

CB Robert Alford, SE Louisiana (Rd.3)

CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson, UConn (Rd.2-3)

CB Leon McFadden, SD State (Rd. 4)

CB Adrian Bushell, Louisville (Rd.4-5)

CB Tyrann Mathieu, LSU (Rd.5-6)

CB Sanders Cummings, Georgia (Rd.6)

Safety

SS Matt Elam, Florida (Rd.1-2)

FS Kenny Vaccaro, Texas (Rd.1)

FS Eric Reid, LSU (Rd.1-2)

FS Tony Jefferson, Oklahoma (Rd.2)

FS DJ Swearinger, South Carolina (Rd.2-3)

SS Shamarko Thomas, Syracuse (Rd.4)

SS Shawn Williams, Georgia (Rd.4)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Been reading a lot of good press about Louisiana Tech WR Quinton Patton (6-0 200) at the Senior Bowl so I gave this kid a look and I'm very impressed... so much so that I'll be adding him to my Big 32.

He'd give them the good route running, COD and RAC ability but also has good size which would satisfy a lot of folks on this board and in general.   He looks like a very good fit for their offense and option at the back end of Rd 2 or atleast in the Top 75.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hey sports welcome back. My response is in bold:

In response to sportslover21's comment:

Here are a few FA that I'd like for us to take a look at in addition to hopefully resigning Welker/Talib/Vollmer, etc.

WR Brian Hartline, MIA - I don't think really think we nessacarily need a 6'3" burner on the outside. Our offense isn't really made for that. What we need is someone who can consistently win outside the numbers with precise routes but also has the ability to threaten deep, and create after the catch. Brandon Lloyd was miscast as a deep threat, he isn't that. He is a glorified possession WR who can never create after the catch because he is always on the ground. Hartline isn't a burner, but he runs good routes and can win outside the numbers. We aren't getting a Bowe/Wallace type, Hartline would be a good potential add.

I like Heartline a lot but he is very inconsistent. If he's to replace Welker I don't think there will be a huge drop off but he's not a #1 WR imo. The problem I see is that we don't have people who can out fight aggressive DB's at the line. Minus Gronk we have no one who can out fight for a ball. For that I'd like a bigger WR to mismatch against aggressive CB's but I agree that I don't think we need a burner. Just someone with a larger catch radius. Heartline at 6'2" 200lb might be able to do that if the match S's and LB's against Hern and Gronk

DT Henry Melton, CHI or DT Randy Starks, MIA - Both these guys could command big money but I think would fill a huge hole, but it remains to be seen if we would spend the money to get one of them. They are both similar, but MUCH better players compared to someone like Jonathan Fanene who we tried to get for that penetrating DT role last offseason. I really feel like Armond Armstead could make an impact, for a fraction of the cost. But I'd still like to see them take a look at these guys.

Melton I think is going to get franchised but Starks I'm all for if the market doesn't go crazy. Starks would be that typical in division FA BB likes to pick up because of the history and similarity in game plan between the teams

LB Paul Kruger, BAL - He may price himself out of our price range, but for reasons mentioned above, he'd be someone to take a look at.

LB Dannell Ellerbe, BAL - Similar to Kruger in the fact that he may be priced out of our price range, but Ellerbe could be another nice add to our D. Can he be a cover LB we need? That I am not so sure of, but he is a good player.

I wouldn't look at either one honestly. They'd be to replace Nink and for the cost compared to increase in performance just isn't worth it.I'd love to find a 4th LB with coverage ability though

FS Ed Reed, BAL - We all know BB has loved him for a long time. If he finally gets to the open market, does BB take a dip? I'd love it. Would add instant credibility, leadership, and a veteran on the backend to go along with McCourty. Reed has lost a step for sure, but is still an instinctual player who can make players.

I'm good with McCourty at FS as I think Reeds abilities are in decline. I wouldn't mind finding a 3rd CB or a SS though, but the market seems kind of thin. Honestly keeping the S core we have (minus Chung), resigning Talib, and adding a 3rd CB in the draft seems like the best option

Just some of the guys that I like. Most have been mentioned at some point on the thread already, but I think all could be valuable additions to the team.

Good thinking and I like your detail. Any OL you are looking at for RG or depth?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Hey sports welcome back. My response is in bold:

In response to sportslover21's comment:

Here are a few FA that I'd like for us to take a look at in addition to hopefully resigning Welker/Talib/Vollmer, etc.

WR Brian Hartline, MIA - I don't think really think we nessacarily need a 6'3" burner on the outside. Our offense isn't really made for that. What we need is someone who can consistently win outside the numbers with precise routes but also has the ability to threaten deep, and create after the catch. Brandon Lloyd was miscast as a deep threat, he isn't that. He is a glorified possession WR who can never create after the catch because he is always on the ground. Hartline isn't a burner, but he runs good routes and can win outside the numbers. We aren't getting a Bowe/Wallace type, Hartline would be a good potential add.

I like Heartline a lot but he is very inconsistent. If he's to replace Welker I don't think there will be a huge drop off but he's not a #1 WR imo. The problem I see is that we don't have people who can out fight aggressive DB's at the line. Minus Gronk we have no one who can out fight for a ball. For that I'd like a bigger WR to mismatch against aggressive CB's but I agree that I don't think we need a burner. Just someone with a larger catch radius. Heartline at 6'2" 200lb might be able to do that if the match S's and LB's against Hern and Gronk

DT Henry Melton, CHI or DT Randy Starks, MIA - Both these guys could command big money but I think would fill a huge hole, but it remains to be seen if we would spend the money to get one of them. They are both similar, but MUCH better players compared to someone like Jonathan Fanene who we tried to get for that penetrating DT role last offseason. I really feel like Armond Armstead could make an impact, for a fraction of the cost. But I'd still like to see them take a look at these guys.

Melton I think is going to get franchised but Starks I'm all for if the market doesn't go crazy. Starks would be that typical in division FA BB likes to pick up because of the history and similarity in game plan between the teams

LB Paul Kruger, BAL - He may price himself out of our price range, but for reasons mentioned above, he'd be someone to take a look at.

LB Dannell Ellerbe, BAL - Similar to Kruger in the fact that he may be priced out of our price range, but Ellerbe could be another nice add to our D. Can he be a cover LB we need? That I am not so sure of, but he is a good player.

I wouldn't look at either one honestly. They'd be to replace Nink and for the cost compared to increase in performance just isn't worth it.I'd love to find a 4th LB with coverage ability though

FS Ed Reed, BAL - We all know BB has loved him for a long time. If he finally gets to the open market, does BB take a dip? I'd love it. Would add instant credibility, leadership, and a veteran on the backend to go along with McCourty. Reed has lost a step for sure, but is still an instinctual player who can make players.

I'm good with McCourty at FS as I think Reeds abilities are in decline. I wouldn't mind finding a 3rd CB or a SS though, but the market seems kind of thin. Honestly keeping the S core we have (minus Chung), resigning Talib, and adding a 3rd CB in the draft seems like the best option

Just some of the guys that I like. Most have been mentioned at some point on the thread already, but I think all could be valuable additions to the team.

Good thinking and I like your detail. Any OL you are looking at for RG or depth?

Good stuff. Come to think of it, I actually agree with you on the Ellerbe/Kruger front, they wouldn't fill a need or present an upgrade.

As for Reed. I don't anticipate him taking over for McCourty who I also like at FS, but he could provide a veteran presence back there and depth as a 3rd safety.

Agree that Melton/Starks are longshots, and would be more of a "luxury" IMO. Like I said, I think Armstead could do real well, so that need for interior DL isn't as big as it was just two days ago.

On Hartline, I don't think he is a #1 WR either. But as another option in our style of offense, I think he'd be a good fit. Good route runner with deceptive speed, and unlike a Lloyd or Welker can actually win deep on ocassion. Like I mentioned, I don't think we necessarily need a 6'3" pure speed threat, but rather a bigger bodied WR who can win on the outside, run good routes and at least have a 'threat' of getting deep, with the speed to do so.

* As for your question on OG or OL depth. I actually really like what we have there currently. Assuming we resign Vollmer at OT, and hopefully Donald Thomas at backup OG. I really like what we have. OT - Solder/Vollmer/Cannon/Zusevics -- OG - Mankins/Connolly/Thomas/McDonald -- C - Wendell. I think that line is actually pretty good. Could there be a need for depth if Vollmer and/or Thomas depart? Sure.

As for some names in FA, I don't really have many for the level I think they'd be looking at which is lower tier, depth guys. A few names could be: OG Antoine Caldwell, HOU - OT/G Geoff Schwartz, MIN - OG Zach Hurd, OAK - OG Nate Garner, MIA. But if I am being completely honest, if they did go the FA route for OL (which I am not sure they need to or will), then I am not real sure of who they'd go after, but anyways, these are just some names of depth guys that I like.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.pigskinheaven.com/content.php/1156-Johnathan-Cyprien

Here is a link to an article and video on Cyprien.  He is impressive. Good size, COD, anticipation, keeps the plays in front of him and can legally hit well.  There maybe questions about his competition, but love the effort.  He may be a late 2nd when it is all said and done. I am moving him up my draft board

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:

looks like margus hunt isn't what i and some others thought he was. projected to be taken around the 4th round. same with ansah.. guess that's why i don't get paid to do this stuff lol.

http://football.realgm.com/src_article/2244/20130124/project_pass_rush/

DE's alex okafor and datone jones getting rave reviews so far at the senior bowl practices

http://football.realgm.com/src_article/2243/20130123/senior_bowl_notes_tuesday/

I never had him as a Rd 1 kid (been a Rd 2 kid for me), but I still think he's off the board on Day 2 due to his size/length/upside and it's possible that some personnel type could fall in love with his upside and take him in Rd 1.  I'd rather have Carradine/Okafor.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

[QUOTE]

http://www.pigskinheaven.com/content.php/1156-Johnathan-Cyprien

Here is a link to an article and video on Cyprien.  He is impressive. Good size, COD, anticipation, keeps the plays in front of him and can legally hit well.  There maybe questions about his competition, but love the effort.  He may be a late 2nd when it is all said and done. I am moving him up my draft board

Thanks, JJ.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Below is my updated Big 32, new names highlighted in red:

Rd 1-2

DT- Sylvester Williams

CB- Logan Ryan

WR- DeAndre Hopkins

DE/OLB- Alex Okafor

WR- Robert Woods

CB- Jordan Poyer

Rd 2

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine

WR- Quinton Patton

C/OG- Travis Frederick

Rd 2-3

WR/PR- Ace Sanders

WR- Markus Wheaton

DE/OLB- Margus Hunt

LB- Kiko Alonso

S- Shawn Williams

Rd 3

DE/OLB- Lavar Edwards

OG- Brian Winters

CB- Jamar Taylor

CB- Darius Slay

WR- Ryan Swope

Rd 4-7

S- Zeke Motta

DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore

DL- Quinton Dial

TE- Travis Kelce

RB- Spencer Ware

S- Cooper Taylor

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

What's up everyone?  Just read the last 3-4 pages, many great thoughts.  Most of us agree on NE's primary needs this offseason (Impact DL; Outside WR; Stud Safety; CB stability...Talib???; Coverage LB; etc...)  Once Senior Bowl and Combine get over, we will have a better idea of which prospects will likely be available where.  At a glance, we look light on draft picks this year, but remember, we should see at least one Comp Pick in addition to what we already have.  Also, the signings of Demps, Ballard, and Armstead are almost like free quality prospects.  None are guaranteed, but all are high-ceiling guys who have a great chance to make a positive impact on our team.  Way to go BB!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Barkevious Mingo-DE...

Justin Hunter-WR

Montee Ball-RB..Or-Spencer Ware..

Jarvis Jones-OLB.

*Eric Reid-FS..

*Tyrann Mathieu-Kick And Punt Return..?

My Likes.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

looks like margus hunt isn't what i and some others thought he was. projected to be taken around the 4th round. same with ansah.. guess that's why i don't get paid to do this stuff lol.

http://football.realgm.com/src_article/2244/20130124/project_pass_rush/

DE's alex okafor and datone jones getting rave reviews so far at the senior bowl practices

http://football.realgm.com/src_article/2243/20130123/senior_bowl_notes_tuesday/

Not sure if anyone had him in the 1st so I wouldn't say he isn't what we think he is yet. Don't forget many, except a few on this board, had Vollmer in the 4th too. I think a lot of us projected Hunt late 2nd to early 4th range, but I've seen him everywhere from the back of the 1st to the 5th because of physical ceiling vs rawness. The group you reference is just one source and appearent only projects stats and not really on raw ability and physical ceiling. For a team that looks at him and says they can maximize his abilities you are looking at a 2nd round pick to get him. If you see him as too raw and it's going to take a lot for him to develop then you are looking in the 4th. Either way he's a day 2 kid

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

FYI, Senior Bowl Roster additions

- Several players were late additions to the roster, here are their updated measurements:

OT Terron Armstread, Arkansas-Pine Bluff (6-5, 306)
    DT Josh Boyd, Mississippi State (6-3, 312)
    RB Mike James, Miami (5-11, 222)
    DE Travis Johnson, San Jose State (6-2, 244)
    WR Alec Lemon, Syracuse (6-1, 200)
    OLB Sio Moore, Connecticut (6-1, 240)
    OLB Ty Powell, Harding (6-2, 245)
    WR Russell Shepard, LSU (6-0, 194)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/21605128/2013-senior-bowl-wednesday-risers-fallers

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

SI's Don Banks has NE taking Matt Elam in Rd 1... smart guy ;)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130124/2013-nfl-mock-draft-1/?sct=hp_t11_a3&eref=sihp

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

JJ,
    The most intriguing name on that list IMO, is Josh Boyd... good sized DT that's strong at the POA... not much of a passrusher, but could provide potential depth in the middle... also hails from the same college as Kyle Love.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:

Barkevious Mingo-DE...

Justin Hunter-WR

Jarvis Jones-OLB.

*Eric Reid-FS..

My Likes.....

Of that list, Ware, Reid, Hunter & Mathieu (if he's there late) are the most likely to end up in Foxboro.  Jones and Mingo in particular won't be available when NE selects and I don't see them touching a RB not named Eddie Lacy anywhere in the Top 64... though possible late in the draft (Ware).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130124/2013-nfl-mock-draft-1/?sct=hp_t11_a3&eref=sihp

went there and also clicked on another link that had  just rankings ( no team select)and Elam  was 29 there too. #30 was Barrett Jones the Alabama lineman ( I say that because this year was center , but played, I believe started all 4 years and at all Ol positions). Watched the champ game bit they did on him and he seems to be exceptionally smart and with his position flexability. he seems like then prototypical BB guy.

Questions though

- at 305 ..big enough?

- is he a #29 value ( starter) and would he last to #59

PS I love his feistieness, when he pushed McCarron out of his face, when game was determined and on feild criticism was hardly needed. Also like many of then Alabama guys ..he had a "hot" mom.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

MB, what do you think of his 5'10" size?

After watching DMC and Gregory, I'm thinking we need a bigger, more powerful safety back there as an enforcer.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:

Barkevious Mingo-DE...

Justin Hunter-WR

Jarvis Jones-OLB.

*Eric Reid-FS..

My Likes.....

Of that list, Ware, Reid, Hunter & Mathieu (if he's there late) are the most likely to end up in Foxboro.  Jones and Mingo in particular won't be available when NE selects and I don't see them touching a RB not named Eddie Lacy anywhere in the Top 64... though possible late in the draft (Ware).

you think lacy is better than giovani bernard? 

I do... love his combo of size, power, balance and movement ability. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:

MB, what do you think of his 5'10" size?

After watching DMC and Gregory, I'm thinking we need a bigger, more powerful safety back there as an enforcer.

Not overly concerned with his height, for example Earl Thomas is roughly the same size and could be the best S in football.  Elam is very well put together, both in his upper and lower body... very solid... prob 210+ pounds.

Elam is also the enforcer type that this defense, being one of the more physical players in this draft... kid will hit anything that moves... also one of the better tacklers in this S class.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mgraham's comment:

went there and also clicked on another link that had  just rankings ( no team select)and Elam  was 29 there too. #30 was Barrett Jones the Alabama lineman ( I say that because this year was center , but played, I believe started all 4 years and at all Ol positions). Watched the champ game bit they did on him and he seems to be exceptionally smart and with his position flexability. he seems like then prototypical BB guy.

Questions though

- at 305 ..big enough?

PS I love his feistieness, when he pushed McCarron out of his face, when game was determined and on feild criticism was hardly needed. Also like many of then Alabama guys ..he had a "hot" mom.

I think 305-310 is plenty big for an OG in NE's scheme.

Jones is off the board in the Top 40, IMO.  I also think he can start Day 1 for them at either C (Wendell is likely to keep that job) or OG.  I have Jones behind UNC OG Jon Cooper on my board.

I too liked that he pushed McCarron... and while I don't know the reason that McCarron was yapping, the game was long over, so I'm not sure what he was trying to accomplish... like the competitive spirit on both ends though... would love to see McCarron in Foxoro some day.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Just heard Shefter say on Cowherd's show that if BAL let's go of Ed Reed, as they rebuild, NWE is one of few teams who could afford to get him. 

That would be an interesting predicament. NWE has to figure out who to sign...

Talib

Vollmer

Welker

Reed would be an interesting addition in that equation. Personally, I would prefer investing on the younger guys.

Talib first, Vollmer next.

Between Welker and Reed, I might actually go for Reed. Let Welker explore FA. I don;t think he will command the money he is asking for. If at all I think, he'd end up back with NWE on money that reflects a slower receiver in his 30s.

That said, NWE also has to consider a Reed deal having the potential of ending up being like the AD Thomas situation. Why would someone want to play his heart out for a team that his former team hated? It boils down to whether Reed would play for more than money. I actually doubt it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to mgraham's comment:

Questions though

- at 305 ..big enough?

I think 305-310 is plenty big for an OG in NE's scheme.

Jones is off the board in the Top 40, IMO.  I also think he can start Day 1 for them at either C (Wendell is likely to keep that job) or OG.  I have Jones behind UNC OG Jon Cooper on my board.

I too liked that he pushed McCarron... and while I don't know the reason that McCarron was yapping, the game was long over, so I'm not sure what he was trying to accomplish... like the competitive spirit on both ends though... would love to see McCarron in Foxoro some day.

You are absolutely correct there. For the pass first mentality, that can win a lot of reg season games, that size at OG will be fine.

However, that size for OGs may also be the reason that limits their versatility - i.e., their inability to run the ball against better front 3s or 4s, who happen to be who they have to deal with in the playoffs.

Sections
Shortcuts