***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

Added benefit (that some may not see as a benefit), he brings some attitude in the secondary.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:

i hope this isn't true. i liked harper as a 3rd-4th round pick but not 2nd.

Former NFL scout Russ Lande cites sources that have told him Kansas State WR Chris Harper will lock up a high second-round pick if he runs in the 4.4s at the Combine.

The same sources say Harper doesn't show that speed on film but Harper has been clocked at these times before. The Kansas State product had a very good week in Mobile, showing reliable hands and consistently separated form corners despite a very thick frame.

I agree that he doesn't play to 4.4 speed... but I do like his ability to catch the football with is hands, pick up YAC and his size is a plus... I'd also much rather have a Quinton Patton type in Rd 2.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Most teams have similar CBs listed in their top seven prospects at the position, according to draft insider Tony Pauline.

Dee Milliner of Alabama, Desmond Trufant of Washington, Xavier Rhodes of Florida State, Johnthan Banks of Mississippi State, Blidi Wreh-Wilson of UConn, Jamar Taylor of Boise State and Darius Slay of Mississippi State are the seven. Pauline adds there was limited mention of Logan Ryan, and teams worry about San Diego State's Leon McFadden's height. Apparently teams also have concerns over Jordan Poyer's speed.

Milliner will certainly be out of range, but Rhodes and Banks could be there at the back end of Rd 1.  My Big 32 currently lists (5) CB's (listed below), though I may need to move Taylor and Slay up a tick... Slay in particular is a bigger CB (6-1 190+) that was overshadowed a bit by the bigger name, but is a solid player that gets his hands on some footballs (5 INT's / 6 PBU) and can tackle.

Rd 1- Xavier Rhodes

Rd 1/2- Logan Ryan, Jordan Poyer

Rd 3- Jamar Taylor, Darius Slay (will prob need to move them up to the Rd 2/3 or Rd 2 range at some point.

I'm interested in plent more CB's as well (Banks, Trufant, McFadden, Hyde, etc.)... def some projected depth in this class.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 617AcrossDaBoard. Show 617AcrossDaBoard's posts

Tavon Austin is the second coming of Wes Welker to this offense.  I know we should sure up the D some more but I really think this dude would be lethal in the Pats O.  He's a true YAC man!!  Reminds me of a combination of Welker and Hernandez.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q3UOd9_Tkw 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to 617AcrossDaBoard's comment:

Tavon Austin is the second coming of Wes Welker to this offense.  I know we should sure up the D some more but I really think this dude would be lethal in the Pats O.  He's a true YAC man!!  Reminds me of a combination of Welker and Hernandez.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q3UOd9_Tkw 

Kid's def the sudden/fluid/COD/RAC kinda WR that they like I just prefer other's in Rd 1 and if they went WR that high, I hope it's Clemson's DeAndre Hopkins.

As for Austin type's, check out South Carolina's WR/PR Ace Sanders, who will likely be considered a poor man's austin, but is electric with the ball in his hands as well and has some of the best COD that I've seen... I have him as a Day 2 kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3djgbjiKX0

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Random draft thougth of the day:

Jon Cyprien is a much better football player than Robert Lester.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Based on what I've read from the Senior Bowl week, this is definitaly the case.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Based on what I've read from the Senior Bowl week, this is definitaly the case.

Love this kid's game... big, active, instinctive, moves well, very good vs. the run... can tackle in the open field and will try and chop you in half like a true enforcer would... I'm sold.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

I agree.  Most say 3rd or 4th, but if a team drafts for needs could be late 2nd.  Has been working with Louis Delmas

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130124/SPORTS0101/301240480

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

I agree.  Most say 3rd or 4th, but if a team drafts for needs could be late 2nd.  Has been working with Louis Delmas

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130124/SPORTS0101/301240480

Def day 2 for me at this point... certain Top 100, IMO.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

A WR to keep an eye on as a late round or UDFA possibility is Eastern Washington University's Brandon Kaufman.  This kid is 6'5" 215 and has been extremely productive at the FCS level.  He has suprising straight-line speed and very good hands.  From what I've seen, he kind of reminds me of Eric Decker.  He has been invited to the Combine, so it will be interesting to see how he stacks up there against the bigger names.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

A WR to keep an eye on as a late round or UDFA possibility is Eastern Washington University's Brandon Kaufman.  This kid is 6'5" 215 and has been extremely productive at the FCS level.  He has suprising straight-line speed and very good hands.  From what I've seen, he kind of reminds me of Eric Decker.  He has been invited to the Combine, so it will be interesting to see how he stacks up there against the bigger names.

Just looked at his youtube vs Idaho - a game where he racked up some very good stats. He's good, but the Pats already has a WR like that. We call him Gronk. Only diff is that Gronk lines up at a different spot. 

Kaufman may have decent straight line speed but I did not see on that video any signs of WR burst and shiftiness, that would help him separate from playoff caliber secondaries. I just don't see him as being the stretch or outside guy that the Pats needs. I did not see there anything that Gronk cannot do. If Ballard comes back, I do not see how Pats cannot use Gronk in the same way they would use Kaufman, if they wanted to.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

what about WR aaron dobson Marshall? great size and great catch radius i think he could be a steal in round 2 or 3.

He has a highlight youtube that showed him make the most spectacular one-handed football catch I have seen - a leaping backhanded one you only see in baseball.

That said, the video was over edited that you cold not really see much of his ability to separate. So, on whether or not I like him for the Pats - No Comment.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

NE should look at cordarelle patterson in round 1 or dobson in round 2. 

Patterson is my FAVORITE receiver in the class, BY FAR. 

Receivers by order of my preference for the Pats (not the same as the market's ranking of WRs)

Patterson (Probably out of reach)

Hopkins

Austin

Woods

Swope

Currently projected high picks that don't excite me

Allen

Hunter

Williams

Rogers

Mid rounder fave

Wheaton 

Potential late rounders I like

Vernon (Is that his name? I think he's from Duke)

Boyce

Hoffman

Receivers I liked last year but have not checked out this year

Siller

Stills (looked more like a slot last year)

Reynolds (was suspended then reinstated, but can't find recent info on him)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

I think I mentioned this before but I'd love to see the Pats look at a couple of my Longhorns as Welker types - Marquis Goodwin and DJ Monroe. Both are excellant kick returners (I thought having McCourtney return kicks was assinine). Anyways, I've said this before and will say it a hundred times more - Texas coach Mack Brown is by far the worst college coach in America. He just kills players, misuses them to the max. Both Goodwin and Monroe have world class speed like Demps and are worth a late round/FA look.

Does anyone else think we already have Welkers replacement in Vereen? I would have no problem with letting Welker walk if he demands anything more than two years a 4-5 million and adding another RB and putting Vereen in the slot. The kid has game, just needs his chance.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

MB, I see why you Conner Vernon on your board.  Looks like a larger WW.  Crafty but reliable so far.  I have seen him 5th round in mocks and ratings.  Would love to see him NE

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to pumpsiefan's comment:

I think I mentioned this before but I'd love to see the Pats look at a couple of my Longhorns as Welker types - Marquis Goodwin and DJ Monroe. Both are excellant kick returners (I thought having McCourtney return kicks was assinine). Anyways, I've said this before and will say it a hundred times more - Texas coach Mack Brown is by far the worst college coach in America. He just kills players, misuses them to the max. Both Goodwin and Monroe have world class speed like Demps and are worth a late round/FA look.

Does anyone else think we already have Welkers replacement in Vereen? I would have no problem with letting Welker walk if he demands anything more than two years a 4-5 million and adding another RB and putting Vereen in the slot. The kid has game, just needs his chance.

No... WW's real asset is his toughness and courage. I don't think Vereen can come back on the field and be as effective after sustaining the kind of punishment that WW gets on a weekly basis. Of course we have not seen if this is the case, so I may be wrong. It's just that the toughness that WW demonstrates is not easy to find.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to leatherhelmet's comment:

If Ezekiel Ansah is available at 29 and we pass...Im done with BB the GM

Really?  I've read that Ansah had a pretty bad week at the Senior Bowl.  Most reports say that he was easily blocked and didn't display any sort of pass rush moves.  No doubt that he is an athletic freak, but it sounds like he is very, very raw.  A few reports projected him as a 4th rounder after seeing him live against quality competition.  4th round may be a bit harsh, but it is sounding more and more like he is a tremendous project with a high ceiling, but a decent chance to be a bust.  I'll pass in the 1st round.