***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

I know this is unpopular on these boards, but I really hope NWE does not trade up. Maybe I am mistaken, but I believe  they should load up on high picks for next year. 2014 is looking like a much more talent-rich class than 2013.

Just looking at the QB class, before seeing some others that will emerge, more interesting than this year's. I think teams will overbid for those picks.

McCarron

Murray

Manziel

Bridgewater

Thomas (I don't think he declared)

Pats have only a few holes to fill in order to fix what ails them. They have enough picks this year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Just heard Shefter say on Cowherd's show that if BAL let's go of Ed Reed, as they rebuild, NWE is one of few teams who could afford to get him. 

That would be an interesting predicament. NWE has to figure out who to sign...

Talib

Vollmer

Welker

Reed would be an interesting addition in that equation. Personally, I would prefer investing on the younger guys.

Talib first, Vollmer next.

Between Welker and Reed, I might actually go for Reed. Let Welker explore FA. I don;t think he will command the money he is asking for. If at all I think, he'd end up back with NWE on money that reflects a slower receiver in his 30s.

That said, NWE also has to consider a Reed deal having the potential of ending up being like the AD Thomas situation. Why would someone want to play his heart out for a team that his former team hated? It boils down to whether Reed would play for more than money. I actually doubt it.

Not actually sure why they think Reed is going to get a big money deal, honestly. Given his age and recent injuries I might place him 5th down the list for S's this offseason. Behind Byrd, Goldson, Delmas, and maybe Moore. Heck even Quin made a McCourty type of jump to S this year and might challenge Reed in standing. Sorry to say a 35 yr old S who's best asset is his coverage skills isn't worth a long or big payday. If he came in at 1-2 yrs 4mil per I'd take him with open arms but anymore would be risky imo, given other holes that need to be filled.

Really if they are saying the Pats are the only team who could afford to get him then they can afford to get Byrd or Goldson

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Just heard Shefter say on Cowherd's show that if BAL let's go of Ed Reed, as they rebuild, NWE is one of few teams who could afford to get him. 

That would be an interesting predicament. NWE has to figure out who to sign...

Talib

Vollmer

Welker

Reed would be an interesting addition in that equation. Personally, I would prefer investing on the younger guys.

Talib first, Vollmer next.

Between Welker and Reed, I might actually go for Reed. Let Welker explore FA. I don;t think he will command the money he is asking for. If at all I think, he'd end up back with NWE on money that reflects a slower receiver in his 30s.

That said, NWE also has to consider a Reed deal having the potential of ending up being like the AD Thomas situation. Why would someone want to play his heart out for a team that his former team hated? It boils down to whether Reed would play for more than money. I actually doubt it.

Not actually sure why they think Reed is going to get a big money deal, honestly. Given his age and recent injuries I might place him 5th down the list for S's this offseason. Behind Byrd, Goldson, Delmas, and maybe Moore. Heck even Quin made a McCourty type of jump to S this year and might challenge Reed in standing. Sorry to say a 35 yr old S who's best asset is his coverage skills isn't worth a long or big payday. If he came in at 1-2 yrs 4mil per I'd take him with open arms but anymore would be risky imo, given other holes that need to be filled.

Really if they are saying the Pats are the only team who could afford to get him then they can afford to get Byrd or Goldson

Perhaps for different reasons, but I think we are agree that is a transaction NWE should not do. In your case, you have a threshold of $4M per. As I think about this more, I don't think Reed has $4M worth of heart (for the Pats) and health combined. 

In Welker's case, I am torn. I can't remember what amount of guaranteed money he was looking for last year. The tag if I am not mistaken basically gave him a big chunk of that guaranteed money. Does that mean he is willing to take on a deal that reflects the remainder of that guaranteed money or is he going to ask the same guaranteed money he asked for last year. 

I prefer spending $9M on creating a more well-rounded team, than on one receiver. I know he's ben a crutch for TB. But his presence on the team is also what allows TB to use him as a crutch. On the other hand, if WW was not around, I'm sure Gronk will be that crutch.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

As a die-hard Wazzu fan & alumni, this pains me to say, but I would love to see BB draft UW's Desmond Trufant in the 2nd round.  I've seen a lot of him during his time at UW, and I've always thought he has the ability and the confidence to be a very good pro.  The knock on him is that he is not the strongest CB in run support, but his coverage and ball skills are among the best in the country.  If we resign Talib, CB won't be a huge need, but if this guy were to be there at the end of the second round it would be very good value, IMO.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

As a die-hard Wazzu fan & alumni, this pains me to say, but I would love to see BB draft UW's Desmond Trufant in the 2nd round.  I've seen a lot of him during his time at UW, and I've always thought he has the ability and the confidence to be a very good pro.  The knock on him is that he is not the strongest CB in run support, but his coverage and ball skills are among the best in the country.  If we resign Talib, CB won't be a huge need, but if this guy were to be there at the end of the second round it would be very good value, IMO.

doubt he makes it to the end of round 2 many are projecting him as a sure fire round 1 pick.

I don't know.  The recent mocks that I've seen have him early 3rd round (walterfootball & nepatriotsdraft).  This is a deep CB class and guys will rise and fall a lot up and down draft boards in the coming months, but as of today I don't think that late 2nd round is an unrealistic assumption for Trufant.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

doubt he makes it to the end of round 2 many are projecting him as a sure fire round 1 pick.

I don't know.  The recent mocks that I've seen have him early 3rd round (walterfootball & nepatriotsdraft).  This is a deep CB class and guys will rise and fall a lot up and down draft boards in the coming months, but as of today I don't think that late 2nd round is an unrealistic assumption for Trufant.

nfldraftscout has him as the #3 CB, ahead of Banks and Poyer. I tend to agree with that. Check the youtube on Banks and Poyer and I don't see CBs better than Trufant on cover. Unfortunately, I did not find a Trufant-centered youtube.

I agree, he would fit in teh Pats. I don't believe that everyone in teh secondary ahs to be good against the run. If he can be that excellent CB against the pass, there should be a place for him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'd agree with this projection... not that mocks have any true bearing on the actual outcome, but I've seen him mostly as a Day 2 kid.  I do think that he'll be a solid get for some team in that range.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Added benefit (that some may not see as a benefit), he brings some attitude in the secondary.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

i hope this isn't true. i liked harper as a 3rd-4th round pick but not 2nd.

Former NFL scout Russ Lande cites sources that have told him Kansas State WR Chris Harper will lock up a high second-round pick if he runs in the 4.4s at the Combine.

The same sources say Harper doesn't show that speed on film but Harper has been clocked at these times before. The Kansas State product had a very good week in Mobile, showing reliable hands and consistently separated form corners despite a very thick frame.

I agree that he doesn't play to 4.4 speed... but I do like his ability to catch the football with is hands, pick up YAC and his size is a plus... I'd also much rather have a Quinton Patton type in Rd 2.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Most teams have similar CBs listed in their top seven prospects at the position, according to draft insider Tony Pauline.

Dee Milliner of Alabama, Desmond Trufant of Washington, Xavier Rhodes of Florida State, Johnthan Banks of Mississippi State, Blidi Wreh-Wilson of UConn, Jamar Taylor of Boise State and Darius Slay of Mississippi State are the seven. Pauline adds there was limited mention of Logan Ryan, and teams worry about San Diego State's Leon McFadden's height. Apparently teams also have concerns over Jordan Poyer's speed.

Milliner will certainly be out of range, but Rhodes and Banks could be there at the back end of Rd 1.  My Big 32 currently lists (5) CB's (listed below), though I may need to move Taylor and Slay up a tick... Slay in particular is a bigger CB (6-1 190+) that was overshadowed a bit by the bigger name, but is a solid player that gets his hands on some footballs (5 INT's / 6 PBU) and can tackle.

Rd 1- Xavier Rhodes

Rd 1/2- Logan Ryan, Jordan Poyer

Rd 3- Jamar Taylor, Darius Slay (will prob need to move them up to the Rd 2/3 or Rd 2 range at some point.

I'm interested in plent more CB's as well (Banks, Trufant, McFadden, Hyde, etc.)... def some projected depth in this class.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 617AcrossDaBoard. Show 617AcrossDaBoard's posts

Tavon Austin is the second coming of Wes Welker to this offense.  I know we should sure up the D some more but I really think this dude would be lethal in the Pats O.  He's a true YAC man!!  Reminds me of a combination of Welker and Hernandez.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q3UOd9_Tkw 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to 617AcrossDaBoard's comment:

Tavon Austin is the second coming of Wes Welker to this offense.  I know we should sure up the D some more but I really think this dude would be lethal in the Pats O.  He's a true YAC man!!  Reminds me of a combination of Welker and Hernandez.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q3UOd9_Tkw 

Kid's def the sudden/fluid/COD/RAC kinda WR that they like I just prefer other's in Rd 1 and if they went WR that high, I hope it's Clemson's DeAndre Hopkins.

As for Austin type's, check out South Carolina's WR/PR Ace Sanders, who will likely be considered a poor man's austin, but is electric with the ball in his hands as well and has some of the best COD that I've seen... I have him as a Day 2 kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3djgbjiKX0

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Random draft thougth of the day:

Jon Cyprien is a much better football player than Robert Lester.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Based on what I've read from the Senior Bowl week, this is definitaly the case.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Based on what I've read from the Senior Bowl week, this is definitaly the case.

Love this kid's game... big, active, instinctive, moves well, very good vs. the run... can tackle in the open field and will try and chop you in half like a true enforcer would... I'm sold.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

I agree.  Most say 3rd or 4th, but if a team drafts for needs could be late 2nd.  Has been working with Louis Delmas

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130124/SPORTS0101/301240480

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

I agree.  Most say 3rd or 4th, but if a team drafts for needs could be late 2nd.  Has been working with Louis Delmas

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130124/SPORTS0101/301240480

Def day 2 for me at this point... certain Top 100, IMO.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

A WR to keep an eye on as a late round or UDFA possibility is Eastern Washington University's Brandon Kaufman.  This kid is 6'5" 215 and has been extremely productive at the FCS level.  He has suprising straight-line speed and very good hands.  From what I've seen, he kind of reminds me of Eric Decker.  He has been invited to the Combine, so it will be interesting to see how he stacks up there against the bigger names.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

A WR to keep an eye on as a late round or UDFA possibility is Eastern Washington University's Brandon Kaufman.  This kid is 6'5" 215 and has been extremely productive at the FCS level.  He has suprising straight-line speed and very good hands.  From what I've seen, he kind of reminds me of Eric Decker.  He has been invited to the Combine, so it will be interesting to see how he stacks up there against the bigger names.

Just looked at his youtube vs Idaho - a game where he racked up some very good stats. He's good, but the Pats already has a WR like that. We call him Gronk. Only diff is that Gronk lines up at a different spot. 

Kaufman may have decent straight line speed but I did not see on that video any signs of WR burst and shiftiness, that would help him separate from playoff caliber secondaries. I just don't see him as being the stretch or outside guy that the Pats needs. I did not see there anything that Gronk cannot do. If Ballard comes back, I do not see how Pats cannot use Gronk in the same way they would use Kaufman, if they wanted to.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

what about WR aaron dobson Marshall? great size and great catch radius i think he could be a steal in round 2 or 3.

He has a highlight youtube that showed him make the most spectacular one-handed football catch I have seen - a leaping backhanded one you only see in baseball.

That said, the video was over edited that you cold not really see much of his ability to separate. So, on whether or not I like him for the Pats - No Comment.

Sections
Shortcuts