***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

In response to leatherhelmet's comment:

If Ezekiel Ansah is available at 29 and we pass...Im done with BB the GM

Really?  I've read that Ansah had a pretty bad week at the Senior Bowl.  Most reports say that he was easily blocked and didn't display any sort of pass rush moves.  No doubt that he is an athletic freak, but it sounds like he is very, very raw.  A few reports projected him as a 4th rounder after seeing him live against quality competition.  4th round may be a bit harsh, but it is sounding more and more like he is a tremendous project with a high ceiling, but a decent chance to be a bust.  I'll pass in the 1st round.

Are you watching the game itself?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Ansah is doing what Von Miller did his year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

How would this be?

Trade pick #29 & our 7th to AZ for their 2nd (38) 4th (100) & 5th.  **AZ might want to move into the 1st round to grab a guy like Barkley before KC/Jax/NYJ can get him early on Day 2.**late

38)  DeAndre Hopkins   WR   Clem

59)  Desmond Trufant  CB  UW

96)  TJ McDonald  FS  USC

100)  Kiko Alonso  ILB  Oregon

5th (From AZ) Marquise Goodwin  WR  Texas

6th (projected Comp pick)  Josh Boyd  DT  Miss. St.

7th  Dustin Hopkins  K  FSU

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Love and deaderick are decent depth players....not good enough to start on ouR DL. I am with you PatsEng on the DT choices. I think we would need to move up in round 2 to have a chance at Rhodes, but I like him if we are adding depth to the defensive backfield. A lot depends upon Talib. We need to resign him. Finding a starting caliber cb is going to be hard to do, and I want a guy like Talib back there that has size, experience and an edge. 

Personally, I would like to see some more speed at lb, but lower on my priority list. 

Given we were successful converting mccourty to safety, what are the chances we do the same with Arrington or dowling? Arrington plays a physical game, and he can blitz, play in the box, and is a solid tackler. Not as fast as mccourty but maybe he plays best with the ball in front of him. 

Ras has the better chance of converting imo. Just a better player at breaking down plays. Arrington I could let go and not even think about it. His time here is marked by lucky games. Sometimes he looks like a starter and others completely lost. He's made the same mistakes over and over again while getting the same essential production down the middle. I'm not even sure I'd want him as a 3rd CB if there is a better option available

This will be a make or break offseason for a lot of pats players. Arrington included. I don't think he is horrible, just horrible on the outside and not a starting ca liber cb...but he is not a bad 4th option, solely a slot cover guy, and decent on ST's. he has some value. Sadly, we probably need 2 good cb's if Talib isn't resigned and dowling doesn't stay healthy and progress. The problem is we won't know on dowling until after the draft and maybe not until the start of the season. 

Well I'm looking at Ras at the 4th option at this point which would push Arrington to the 5th spot as I don't want him to be the primary backup. Dennard has a good handle as the #2 CB which leaves spots open in the #1 and #3 CB roles. Ideally I'd like to resign Talib for the #1 spot and draft a kid in the 2nd/3rd and put him into that slot #3 role where there is less pressure. If Ras stays healthy he becomes the primary backup to Talib and Dennard, if not then the corner you draft takes on that role. But, I don't want to see Arrington on the outside and I think he'll get a halfway decent contract from someone, more than what I'd want to pay for a 5th CB. Though, statiscally this year Arrington ranked in the bottom 5% of the league for CB's so who knows maybe he'll take a min contract which at that point I'd take him back as the #5 CB

I agree. 

1.  They need to keep Talib.

2.  Dennard looks to be developing into a solid #2, hope the sophomore decline doesn't hit him as well.

3.  I'd prefer they address the offseason as if Ras-I is not on the roster, kid just can't be counted on to stay healthy.

4.  Aaringon should at best be a reserve/slot/dime CB.

5.  Cole should never see the field as a CB.

6.  They need to bring in at least one CB this offseason, preferably a kid that projects as a Top 3 CB on their team... Banks/Ryan/Rhodes/Poyer/Slay/Hyde/McFadden/Wilson/Simon/Hawthorne/Melvin White/Jamar Taylor/Robert Alford/Terrence Brown, etc... this class looks deep with CB talent.

Hey Mb.

I couldn't agree more.  You list 14 DBs (obviously left Milliner off as he will be long gone) and left off Trufant who I think belongs in your list and Webb got some attention SB week.  That's 17 potential CBs for the first 3 rounds or so.  So perhaps we wait until the 3rd and take the best man left standing, especially if we retain Talib.  However, what if Jonathan Cyprien is on the board at 94?  Do we go SS instead?  He really turned some heads this week.

As for the top DTs, not sure any of them make it to 29.   

If not, why not get a bookend for Jones?  Ansah, Hunt, etc? 

Although WR is clearly our top need, I don't see us going there in Round 1, we never do.  Might a Quinton Patton look good at the back of the 2nd? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:

Barkevious Mingo-DE...

Justin Hunter-WR

Montee Ball-RB..Or-Spencer Ware..

Jarvis Jones-OLB.

*Eric Reid-FS..

*Tyrann Mathieu-Kick And Punt Return..?

My Likes.....

Of that list, Ware, Reid, Hunter & Mathieu (if he's there late) are the most likely to end up in Foxboro.  Jones and Mingo in particular won't be available when NE selects and I don't see them touching a RB not named Eddie Lacy anywhere in the Top 64... though possible late in the draft (Ware).

I agree on us not likely taking a RB but what if we lost Woodhead?  Vereen/Demps could likely step in but what if Lattimore is there at the back of the 3rd?  He claims he is making a full recovery.  A first round talent for a late third would seem to be good value.  Not advocating, just saying he would be tempting.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to 617AcrossDaBoard's comment:

Tavon Austin is the second coming of Wes Welker to this offense.  I know we should sure up the D some more but I really think this dude would be lethal in the Pats O.  He's a true YAC man!!  Reminds me of a combination of Welker and Hernandez.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q3UOd9_Tkw 

Slot WRs don't typically go in Round 1.  Good ones can be had anywhere, case in point - Welker, Cruz.   However, the $11.5MM price tag of Welker, assuming the tag, could make the Pats look elsewhere (esp if Edelman is kept) and use that money to sign other and more players like Vollmer and Talib.  Bottom line, BB has never taken a WR in Round 1 and I doubt he will this year.  My money is still on us tagging Welker again and still having cap space to do the other things we want to do.

On a slightly different note, Conner Vernon looked good this week.  Big strong kid who was ultra productive at Duke.  Could probably be had late 90s to 120s.  He looks like a poor man's A. Boldin.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I know Wendell had a nice year but did you guys get to see Brian Schwenke practice this week?  He anchored well against the big stud DTs.  Like Wendell I saw him in at OG during the game too.  Mankins is starting to get hurt now and Connolly usually misses a few games a year.  If we can gain a 4th, he would be a nice pick.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Ansah is doing what Von Miller did his year.

Yup... And he's still unpolished

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1497615-2013-nfl-mock-draft-what-are-the-experts-projecting-in-the-first-round

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1502780-25-things-we-learned-from-the-2013-senior-bowl

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to pumpsiefan's comment:

I think I mentioned this before but I'd love to see the Pats look at a couple of my Longhorns as Welker types - Marquis Goodwin and DJ Monroe. Both are excellant kick returners (I thought having McCourtney return kicks was assinine). Anyways, I've said this before and will say it a hundred times more - Texas coach Mack Brown is by far the worst college coach in America. He just kills players, misuses them to the max. Both Goodwin and Monroe have world class speed like Demps and are worth a late round/FA look.

Does anyone else think we already have Welkers replacement in Vereen? I would have no problem with letting Welker walk if he demands anything more than two years a 4-5 million and adding another RB and putting Vereen in the slot. The kid has game, just needs his chance.

Goodwin wasn't that productive this year (25-299-3), though Texas did have inconsistent QB play and Goodwin does has the speed and short area quickness that BB likes and he also has that return ability... he also had a solid week... could be an option for them on Day 3.

Vereen is more RB than WR, IMO. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

MB, I see why you Conner Vernon on your board.  Looks like a larger WW.  Crafty but reliable so far.  I have seen him 5th round in mocks and ratings.  Would love to see him NE

I agree that he looks solid and reliable... he'll never be a game breaker, but has the size (6-0 193) hands, ball skills and feel to be effective in the short to intermediate area... move the sticks and beat his man over the top from time to time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to leatherhelmet's comment:

If Ezekiel Ansah is available at 29 and we pass...Im done with BB the GM

Really?  I've read that Ansah had a pretty bad week at the Senior Bowl.  Most reports say that he was easily blocked and didn't display any sort of pass rush moves.  No doubt that he is an athletic freak, but it sounds like he is very, very raw.  A few reports projected him as a 4th rounder after seeing him live against quality competition.  4th round may be a bit harsh, but it is sounding more and more like he is a tremendous project with a high ceiling, but a decent chance to be a bust.  I'll pass in the 1st round.

Ansah looked like the best player on the field in yesterday's game... def made himself some money... don't expect him to get past the Giants at 19 as he exactly the kinda kid that they usually draft (long, athletic kids that can rush the passer).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

How would this be?

Trade pick #29 & our 7th to AZ for their 2nd (38) 4th (100) & 5th.  **AZ might want to move into the 1st round to grab a guy like Barkley before KC/Jax/NYJ can get him early on Day 2.**late

That'd be a solid haul, IMO.. the only pick that I don't like is TJ McDonald... looks like the typical overrated SC kid... replace him with Johnathan Cyprien and I'm happy!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

Love and deaderick are decent depth players....not good enough to start on ouR DL. I am with you PatsEng on the DT choices. I think we would need to move up in round 2 to have a chance at Rhodes, but I like him if we are adding depth to the defensive backfield. A lot depends upon Talib. We need to resign him. Finding a starting caliber cb is going to be hard to do, and I want a guy like Talib back there that has size, experience and an edge. 

Personally, I would like to see some more speed at lb, but lower on my priority list. 

Given we were successful converting mccourty to safety, what are the chances we do the same with Arrington or dowling? Arrington plays a physical game, and he can blitz, play in the box, and is a solid tackler. Not as fast as mccourty but maybe he plays best with the ball in front of him. 

Ras has the better chance of converting imo. Just a better player at breaking down plays. Arrington I could let go and not even think about it. His time here is marked by lucky games. Sometimes he looks like a starter and others completely lost. He's made the same mistakes over and over again while getting the same essential production down the middle. I'm not even sure I'd want him as a 3rd CB if there is a better option available

This will be a make or break offseason for a lot of pats players. Arrington included. I don't think he is horrible, just horrible on the outside and not a starting ca liber cb...but he is not a bad 4th option, solely a slot cover guy, and decent on ST's. he has some value. Sadly, we probably need 2 good cb's if Talib isn't resigned and dowling doesn't stay healthy and progress. The problem is we won't know on dowling until after the draft and maybe not until the start of the season. 

Well I'm looking at Ras at the 4th option at this point which would push Arrington to the 5th spot as I don't want him to be the primary backup. Dennard has a good handle as the #2 CB which leaves spots open in the #1 and #3 CB roles. Ideally I'd like to resign Talib for the #1 spot and draft a kid in the 2nd/3rd and put him into that slot #3 role where there is less pressure. If Ras stays healthy he becomes the primary backup to Talib and Dennard, if not then the corner you draft takes on that role. But, I don't want to see Arrington on the outside and I think he'll get a halfway decent contract from someone, more than what I'd want to pay for a 5th CB. Though, statiscally this year Arrington ranked in the bottom 5% of the league for CB's so who knows maybe he'll take a min contract which at that point I'd take him back as the #5 CB

I agree. 

1.  They need to keep Talib.

2.  Dennard looks to be developing into a solid #2, hope the sophomore decline doesn't hit him as well.

3.  I'd prefer they address the offseason as if Ras-I is not on the roster, kid just can't be counted on to stay healthy.

4.  Aaringon should at best be a reserve/slot/dime CB.

5.  Cole should never see the field as a CB.

6.  They need to bring in at least one CB this offseason, preferably a kid that projects as a Top 3 CB on their team... Banks/Ryan/Rhodes/Poyer/Slay/Hyde/McFadden/Wilson/Simon/Hawthorne/Melvin White/Jamar Taylor/Robert Alford/Terrence Brown, etc... this class looks deep with CB talent.

Hey Mb.

I couldn't agree more.  You list 14 DBs (obviously left Milliner off as he will be long gone) and left off Trufant who I think belongs in your list and Webb got some attention SB week.  That's 17 potential CBs for the first 3 rounds or so.  So perhaps we wait until the 3rd and take the best man left standing, especially if we retain Talib.  However, what if Jonathan Cyprien is on the board at 94?  Do we go SS instead?  He really turned some heads this week.

As for the top DTs, not sure any of them make it to 29.   

If not, why not get a bookend for Jones?  Ansah, Hunt, etc? 

Although WR is clearly our top need, I don't see us going there in Round 1, we never do.  Might a Quinton Patton look good at the back of the 2nd? 

Trufant would def be in the mix, yeah.

I'd have no problem with them taking Cyprien over a CB in Rd 3... he'd fill a huge need as a big, physical tone setter at the S position... kids instinctive, can be moved all over the field, flies around and will try to chop you in half.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:

Barkevious Mingo-DE...

Justin Hunter-WR

Montee Ball-RB..Or-Spencer Ware..

Jarvis Jones-OLB.

*Eric Reid-FS..

*Tyrann Mathieu-Kick And Punt Return..?

My Likes.....

Of that list, Ware, Reid, Hunter & Mathieu (if he's there late) are the most likely to end up in Foxboro.  Jones and Mingo in particular won't be available when NE selects and I don't see them touching a RB not named Eddie Lacy anywhere in the Top 64... though possible late in the draft (Ware).

I agree on us not likely taking a RB but what if we lost Woodhead?  Vereen/Demps could likely step in but what if Lattimore is there at the back of the 3rd?  He claims he is making a full recovery.  A first round talent for a late third would seem to be good value.  Not advocating, just saying he would be tempting.

I agree that he's an intriguing upside/value option.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In 2013, the Patriots will play each of the other AFC East rivals twice and will play one game against each of the AFC North and NFC south teams. As the first-place team in the AFC East, the Patriots will play the first-place teams of the AFC South (Houston) and the AFC West (Denver).

HOME

TEAM W L Pct. Denver Broncos 13 3 .813 Pittsburgh Steelers 8 8 .500 New Orleans Saints 7 9 .438 Miami Dolphins 7 9 .438 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 7 9 .438 New York Jets 6 10 .375 Buffalo Bills 6 10 .375 Cleveland Browns 5 11 .313

AWAY

TEAM W L Pct. Atlanta Falcons 13 3 .813 Houston Texans 12 4 .750 Baltimore Ravens 10 6 .625 Cincinnati Bengals 10 6 .625 Miami Dolphins 7 9 .438 Carolina Panthers 7 9 .438 New York Jets 6 10 .375 Buffalo Bills 5 11 .313

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

How would this be?

That'd be a solid haul, IMO.. the only pick that I don't like is TJ McDonald... looks like the typical overrated SC kid... replace him with Johnathan Cyprien and I'm happy!

Fair enough.  I'd rather have Cyprien than TJ too, but I think Cyp has upped his stock enough that he would be long gone.  McDonald definitally has "boom or bust" written all over him.  The talent is there to be a very good player if he can put it together.  Big IF, I know.  After reviewing my mock, I might switch it up and take Cyprien with #59 and then go best available CB with #96.  Maybe I'll do another one later.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In 2013, the Patriots will play each of the other AFC East rivals twice and will play one game against each of the AFC North and NFC south teams. As the first-place team in the AFC East, the Patriots will play the first-place teams of the AFC South (Houston) and the AFC West (Denver).

HOME

TEAM W L Pct.Denver Broncos 13 3 .813 Pittsburgh Steelers 8 8 .500 New Orleans Saints 7 9 .438 Miami Dolphins 7 9 .438 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 7 9 .438 New York Jets 6 10 .375 Buffalo Bills 6 10 .375 Cleveland Browns 5 11 .313

AWAY

TEAM W L Pct. Atlanta Falcons 13 3 .813 Houston Texans 12 4 .750 Baltimore Ravens 10 6 .625 Cincinnati Bengals 10 6 .625 Miami Dolphins 7 9 .438 Carolina Panthers 7 9 .438 New York Jets 6 10 .375 Buffalo Bills 5 11 .313

Good stuff, Faucet.  Looks to me like a reasonable schedule, maybe a little tougher than average.  I like it.  It NE can win the division again, they should be well tested going into the playoffs.  Like this year, Den, Balt, and Hou will be huge games for seeding purposes.  I love having Denver at home.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

How would this be?

Fair enough.  I'd rather have Cyprien than TJ too, but I think Cyp has upped his stock enough that he would be long gone.  McDonald definitally has "boom or bust" written all over him.  The talent is there to be a very good player if he can put it together.  Big IF, I know.  After reviewing my mock, I might switch it up and take Cyprien with #59 and then go best available CB with #96.  Maybe I'll do another one later.

You could be right... I'm adding Cyp to my board as a Rd 2/3 kid... so end of Rd 3 might not be realistic... don't think he's a reach at the end of Rd 2 either. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I've read several reports that say UCLA DE Datone Jones (6'4"  280) was the best player in Mobile this week.  Sounds like his strength/athleticism were off the charts, and he showed some very good pass rush ability and ability to stop the run.  Only problem for him is that many teams see him as a "tweener".  However, nepatriotsdraft thinks he would fit perfectly in our hybrid defensive scheme.  What do you think about NE spending an early pick on this guy?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I know Wendell had a nice year but did you guys get to see Brian Schwenke practice this week?  He anchored well against the big stud DTs.  Like Wendell I saw him in at OG during the game too.  Mankins is starting to get hurt now and Connolly usually misses a few games a year.  If we can gain a 4th, he would be a nice pick.

Solid interior OL prospect... I like Kent State OG Brian Winters too.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I've read several reports that say UCLA DE Datone Jones (6'4"  280) was the best player in Mobile this week.  Sounds like his strength/athleticism were off the charts, and he showed some very good pass rush ability and ability to stop the run.  Only problem for him is that many teams see him as a "tweener".  However, nepatriotsdraft thinks he would fit perfectly in our hybrid defensive scheme.  What do you think about NE spending an early pick on this guy?

I think he's more hybrid DE/DT than DE/OLB, so it's a matter of what BB is looking for.  He used Cunningham in that hybrid DE/DT roll this year, so maybe that's a direction that he could be looking to go.