1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

He also used Francis in that capacity.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to leatherhelmet's comment:

Another kid that made money was Zaviar Gooden. Seems like a perfect fit for Carrolls Hawks but if, and a huge if, he's around in the 2nd, we could sure use his speed in our web footed LB core......I think Pitta just caught another pass over the middle........

lh,
    Maybe it was you, but another poster had mentioned him previously around the topic of hybrid LB/S types.  His INT yesterday was a gift, but the kid looks quick, fast and athletic certainly has the NFL body type... kid was jacked up!  He's in the discussion for that role for sure... though I'd expect base 43 teams to be all over him.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OutofTownPATS Fan. Show OutofTownPATS Fan's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

How would this be?

Trade pick #29 & our 7th to AZ for their 2nd (38) 4th (100) & 5th.  **AZ might want to move into the 1st round to grab a guy like Barkley before KC/Jax/NYJ can get him early on Day 2.**late

38)  DeAndre Hopkins   WR   Clem

59)  Desmond Trufant  CB  UW

96)  TJ McDonald  FS  USC

100)  Kiko Alonso  ILB  Oregon

5th (From AZ) Marquise Goodwin  WR  Texas

6th (projected Comp pick)  Josh Boyd  DT  Miss. St.

7th  Dustin Hopkins  K  FSU

need a stud offensive lineman with a mean streak in there somewhere.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I like this better:

Trade #29 & our 7th to Arizona for #38; #100 (4th) & their 5th.

#38 (from AZ)  DeAndre Hopkins  WR  Clem

Hopkins is a terrific WR.  Nice size at 6'1", plenty of speed, and a great route runner.  We need a difference-maker on the outside, and I think Hopkins could be the guy.

#59  Jonathan Cyprien  S  Fla Int'l

Had a great showing Senior Bowl week.  Fills a huge need.

#91  Tyrann Mathieu  CB   LSU

If we keep Talib and have Talib/Dennard on the outside, Mathieu could be a terrific slot CB in Nickle for us if Arrington walks.  Plenty of personnal issues and plenty of risk, but worth it late 3rd round.

#100 (from AZ) Kiko Alonso  ILB  Oregon

Very good in coverage.  Enough said.

5th (from AZ)  WR  Marquise Goodwin  Texas

This guy can seriously "take the top off of the defense."  Is is redundant to wand both him and Demps?  Maybe.  But think of the possibilities...

6th (projected Comp pick)  DT  Josh Boyd  Miss St.

Just a great value here. 

7th  (from TB)  Dustin Hopkins K  FSU

Gotskowski is commanding a significant salary next year and wasn't great last season.  Time to at least bring in some quality competition.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Another kid that made money was Zaviar Gooden. Seems like a perfect fit for Carrolls Hawks but if, and a huge if, he's around in the 2nd, we could sure use his speed in our web footed LB core......I think Pitta just caught another pass over the middle........

lh,
    Maybe it was you, but another poster had mentioned him previously around the topic of hybrid LB/S types.  His INT yesterday was a gift, but the kid looks quick, fast and athletic certainly has the NFL body type... kid was jacked up!  He's in the discussion for that role for sure... though I'd expect base 43 teams to be all over him.

MB, I mentioned him earlier.  People are saying he will run below  a 4.5 forty.  I see him as that OLB/SS type.  Has S experience and RB experience in high school. He was team captain also. I think 4-3 teams with LB needs will be all over him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

A D-line heavy mock with trade down for extra pick

Datone Jones

DE

*Da'Rick Rogers

WR

Phillip Thomas

FS

Brandon Williams

DT

Cooper Taylor

SS

Kapron Lewis-Moore

DT

A secondary heavy mock with trade down for extra pick

*Eric Reid

FS

*Logan Ryan

CB

Brandon Jenkins

OLB

*Kwame Geathers

DT

Corey Fuller

WR

Cooper Taylor

SS

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

lh,

They say he isnt overly physical but I put him in with a pack of dogs and he might learn to bite

I'd prefer that they target a natural born killer (i.e. Cyprien) or two on defense... def seem to be lacking that apsect for the most part.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to OutofTownPATS Fan's comment:

How would this be?

Trade pick #29 & our 7th to AZ for their 2nd (38) 4th (100) & 5th.  **AZ might want to move into the 1st round to grab a guy like Barkley before KC/Jax/NYJ can get him early on Day 2.**late

Kent State OG Brian Winters fits that profile and is prob a Day 2 kid.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Datone Jones

DE

*Da'Rick Rogers

WR

Phillip Thomas

FS

Brandon Williams

DT

Cooper Taylor

SS

Kapron Lewis-Moore

DT

*Eric Reid

FS

*Logan Ryan

CB

Brandon Jenkins

OLB

*Kwame Geathers

DT

Corey Fuller

WR

Cooper Taylor

SS

I'd prefer the latter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Datone Jones

DE

*Da'Rick Rogers

WR

Phillip Thomas

FS

Brandon Williams

DT

Cooper Taylor

SS

Kapron Lewis-Moore

DT

*Eric Reid

FS

*Logan Ryan

CB

Brandon Jenkins

OLB

*Kwame Geathers

DT

Corey Fuller

WR

Cooper Taylor

SS

I'd prefer the latter.

Eric Reed.....

http://youtu.be/Atr2ckkdzkc

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:

Datone Jones

DE

*Da'Rick Rogers

WR

Phillip Thomas

FS

Brandon Williams

DT

Cooper Taylor

SS

Kapron Lewis-Moore

DT

*Eric Reid

FS

*Logan Ryan

CB

Brandon Jenkins

OLB

*Kwame Geathers

DT

Corey Fuller

WR

Cooper Taylor

SS

I'd prefer the latter.

Eric Reed.....

http://youtu.be/Atr2ckkdzkc

Kid can bring it, no doubt... just wish he was more consistent with is angles and as a tackler. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

In 2013, the Patriots will play each of the other AFC East rivals twice and will play one game against each of the AFC North and NFC south teams. As the first-place team in the AFC East, the Patriots will play the first-place teams of the AFC South (Houston) and the AFC West (Denver).

HOME

TEAM W L Pct.Denver Broncos 13 3 .813 Pittsburgh Steelers 8 8 .500 New Orleans Saints 7 9 .438 Miami Dolphins 7 9 .438 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 7 9 .438 New York Jets 6 10 .375 Buffalo Bills 6 10 .375 Cleveland Browns 5 11 .313

AWAY

TEAM W L Pct. Atlanta Falcons 13 3 .813 Houston Texans 12 4 .750 Baltimore Ravens 10 6 .625 Cincinnati Bengals 10 6 .625 Miami Dolphins 7 9 .438 Carolina Panthers 7 9 .438 New York Jets 6 10 .375 Buffalo Bills 5 11 .313

Good stuff, Faucet.  Looks to me like a reasonable schedule, maybe a little tougher than average.  I like it.  It NE can win the division again, they should be well tested going into the playoffs.  Like this year, Den, Balt, and Hou will be huge games for seeding purposes.  I love having Denver at home.

I don't know, at ATL, at HOU, and at BAL are going to be very tough.  Obviously happy to have DEN, NO, TB and PIT at home.  Could be another 12-4 season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I've read several reports that say UCLA DE Datone Jones (6'4"  280) was the best player in Mobile this week.  Sounds like his strength/athleticism were off the charts, and he showed some very good pass rush ability and ability to stop the run.  Only problem for him is that many teams see him as a "tweener".  However, nepatriotsdraft thinks he would fit perfectly in our hybrid defensive scheme.  What do you think about NE spending an early pick on this guy?

I think if he's there at 29 he'd be a no brainer.  He reminds me of McGinest coming out.  I'm not sure he was more impressive than Ansah.  That kid was everywhere.  But I would be happy with either at 29 and not sure either will last that long.

As for DTs.  I'm not sure I agree with those who say we need another massive body like VW.  VW is just a freakish athlete for his size.  If going interior DL I might be more inclined to go with an explosive 3 tech like Kawaan Short.  He really impressed me this week and was unstoppable one-on-one.  I'm not sure I'd spend 29 on him though.  But if we traded back into the 40s...  Any team out there with a pair of seconds who might want to move up?  The Dolphins have a pair of 2s.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OutofTownPATS Fan. Show OutofTownPATS Fan's posts

In response to OutofTownPATS Fan's comment:

How would this be?

Kent State OG Brian Winters fits that profile and is prob a Day 2 kid.

if we stay put and draft at our slots , do you think Barret Jones falls in our lap? capable of playing all Line positions. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

I've read several reports that say UCLA DE Datone Jones (6'4"  280) was the best player in Mobile this week.  Sounds like his strength/athleticism were off the charts, and he showed some very good pass rush ability and ability to stop the run.  Only problem for him is that many teams see him as a "tweener".  However, nepatriotsdraft thinks he would fit perfectly in our hybrid defensive scheme.  What do you think about NE spending an early pick on this guy?

I think if he's there at 29 he'd be a no brainer.  He reminds me of McGinest coming out.  I'm not sure he was more impressive than Ansah.  That kid was everywhere.  But I would be happy with either at 29 and not sure either will last that long.

As for DTs.  I'm not sure I agree with those who say we need another massive body like VW.  VW is just a freakish athlete for his size.  If going interior DL I might be more inclined to go with an explosive 3 tech like Kawaan Short.  He really impressed me this week and was unstoppable one-on-one.  I'm not sure I'd spend 29 on him though.  But if we traded back into the 40s...  Any team out there with a pair of seconds who might want to move up?  The Dolphins have a pair of 2s.

I agree.  I'd be okay with Jones at 29.  He is such a terrific athlete, I feel like he could actually play the DT position as well as DE depending on the situation.  I think you can get a lot more from the Senior Bowl practices than you can the game itself.  The coaches really get a chance to work with guys and test them in the practices, where as the game is just an All-Star game.  I think a lot of the guys are only giving 75% and making sure to avoid injury.  I'm not totally sold on Short.  I agree that I would feel a lot better taking him in the 40's than at 29.  Ansah will be long gone by 29, but I feel like there is a decent "bust potential" with him, despite how good he looked in the All-Star game.  It sounded like his practices throughout the week were far from stellar...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

You'll have to forgive me if it's been discussed but what does everyone think of Sharrif Floyd. Beyond the obvious Florida connection BB enjoys, Floyd was also a top 3 blue chipper going into college. Staying in school another year and developing he might have become a top 15 pick. He's explosive with good size for a 43 DT/34 DE. In the back of the 1st he could be an interesting fit for the Pats. At this point just watching film imo Floyd has slightly higher upside than S Williams but not as developed. I might have to change my DT choices in the back of the 1st to Jenkins followed by Floyd with S Williams in the background and J Williams towards the 2nd

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

You'll have to forgive me if it's been discussed but what does everyone think of Sharrif Floyd. Beyond the obvious Florida connection BB enjoys, Floyd was also a top 3 blue chipper going into college. Staying in school another year and developing he might have become a top 15 pick. He's explosive with good size for a 43 DT/34 DE. In the back of the 1st he could be an interesting fit for the Pats. At this point just watching film imo Floyd has slightly higher upside than S Williams but not as developed. I might have to change my DT choices in the back of the 1st to Jenkins followed by Floyd with S Williams in the background and J Williams towards the 2nd

I think he's an option... adequate size (6-3 303), moves well, plays hard... more of an up the field 43 type DT than a 34 space eater, IMO.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think he's an option... adequate size (6-3 303), moves well, plays hard... more of an up the field 43 type DT than a 34 space eater, IMO.

That's what I saw too, but being next to Wilfork with Spikes in the middle do we need a space eater or someone to collapse the interior. I'm kind of torn actually, between getting an up field rusher next to Wilfork or to get another giant body. I think either tactic could work, because of Wilfork, where you can't double both interior guys but the question is do you want quick bursts that cause the QB to scramble out or do you just want to prevent the QB from stepping up and letting the exterior rush come in from the sides?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

That's what I saw too, but being next to Wilfork with Spikes in the middle do we need a space eater or someone to collapse the interior. I'm kind of torn actually, between getting an up field rusher next to Wilfork or to get another giant body. I think either tactic could work, because of Wilfork, where you can't double both interior guys but the question is do you want quick bursts that cause the QB to scramble out or do you just want to prevent the QB from stepping out and letting the exterior rush come in from the sides?

What keeps running through my head is, what if VW goes down? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

That's what I saw too, but being next to Wilfork with Spikes in the middle do we need a space eater or someone to collapse the interior. I'm kind of torn actually, between getting an up field rusher next to Wilfork or to get another giant body. I think either tactic could work, because of Wilfork, where you can't double both interior guys but the question is do you want quick bursts that cause the QB to scramble out or do you just want to prevent the QB from stepping out and letting the exterior rush come in from the sides?

Then we're dead in the water lol. That's why I have Jenkins above both Williams and Floyd at this point. Jenkins, imo, can replace Wilfork with the least amount of drop off. But if we target an up field rusher and Wilfork goes down we are in trouble. The problem gets even compounded further when you look at the FA's and release realistically there are only 2-3 players who you could target as improves to the interior rush while being able to take Wilfork's place incase of injury. One of them, Melton, is almost assured to get tagged and another, Starks, might be too rich for BB's blood so if they are going to improve the DT position and have an eye towards Wilforks health they have to target someone in the draft. Now I'd be ok going with a Williams or Floyd provided they take a hard look at someone like Geathers as a Love replacement for the backup DT position

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Then we're dead in the water lol. That's why I have Jenkins above both Williams and Floyd at this point. Jenkins, imo, can replace Wilfork with the least amount of drop off. But if we target an up field rusher and Wilfork goes down we are in trouble. The problem gets even compounded further when you look at the FA's and release realistically there are only 2-3 players who you could target as improves to the interior rush while being able to take Wilfork's place incase of injury. One of them, Melton, is almost assured to get tagged and another, Starks, might be too rich for BB's blood so if they are going to improve the DT position and have an eye towards Wilforks health they have to target someone in the draft. Now I'd be ok going with a Williams or Floyd provided they take a hard look at someone like Geathers as a Love replacement for the backup DT position

On constant is that you'll always have Jenkins over Jesse and vice versa for me... I'd argue that Jesse already does it today in a BB style defense so the ramp up time for him shouldn't be that much... overall, both have the skill set to come in and contribute early.

Sections
Shortcuts