***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Has anyone looked into Robert Alford (CB)? Against other teams in their conf, he looked good. I have yet to watch the Senior Bowl, but I thought I read somehwere that he was there and he did fine. Might be an option in third or even fourth round if they trade down and get a fourth rounder.

Yes..he is a riser after the senior bowl. Had a great week. Didn't watch him at all during the year due to where he plays, but several think very highly of him. He has decent, not great size, but he is ultra fast and aggressive playing the ball. Given the depth this year in the draft at cb, I would think he is a round 3-4 type of kid. Mb would probably know best in terms of a grade.

Alford is a kid that Ricky brought up a ways back... intriguing kid, small school, not a big but has that fluidity/COD that BB likes in his CB's... likely to come off the board between Rd's 2-4, IMO.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Any takers........

Former University of Miami defensive back Ray-Ray Armstrong will participate in game action for the first time in over a year on Saturday.

Armstrong will get a chance to play in the Texas vs. The Nation Game on Saturday, and CBS Sports pegged him as a player to keep an eye on, despite the fact that he hasn't played in game action since Nov. 2011.

After playing three years at the University of Miami, Armstrong was dismissed from the team due to illegal contact with boosters. He then enrolled at Faulkner College of the NAIA, but was ruled ineligible to play.

Armstrong now has a lot to prove if he hopes to get drafted in the later rounds of April's draft. He was previously thought of as a first-round prospect before a tumultuous senior season. His talent will be enough to catch the eye of NFL scouts, but he will have to face some tough questions about his shortcomings off the field.

In his final two seasons at Miami, Armstrong totaled over 60 tackles, four interceptions and nine passes defended. He also returned an interception for a touchdown, showing off his big-play ability.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/1/28/3926788/texas-vs-the-nation-2013-ray-ray-armstrong

I'd love to see Ray-Ray be this year's Dennard...a 7th round steal due to character concerns.  I really don't know if he's any good or not, but I'd love to see the Pats take a late-round flier on him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Here is my wild and crazy mock draft. It's completely non-realistic and realistic at the same time because of the teams involved.

Trades:

#29, #91, Ryan Mallet traded to Clev for #6 and their 4th with a conditional 5th-7th pick in 2014 (prior to draft)

#6, #61 to TB for #13, #43, 6th TB targets DeMarcus Milliner and need to jump ahead of Tenn and maybe the Jets if they trade Revis to get him

Pats trade 2013 4th and Clev 4th to move back into middle of 3rd

Draft:

#13 - Sheldon Richardson DT/DE - One of the best interior rushers in the draft who's very explosive with rare athletic ability. Above average against the run but really excells at being disruptive behind the line and often seen chasing RB's down from behind. Non-stop motor full effort guy with highly developed pass rushing moves

#43 - Da'Rick Rodgers WR - A first round talent WR that will drop because of a drug related incident. BB doesn't shy away from the drug related incidents if the value is right and he doesn't have other issues following him. A mid 2nd for a top 20 talent with the size and fight the receiver core has been missing might be too much to pass up.

mid 3rd - Micah Hyde CB - Hyde is the reason the Pats move back into the 3rd. Hyde is a bigger physical CB that is comfortable in zone or in man which makes him an ideal slot CB. With the trend towards bigger physical CB's the Pats have been making Hyde only makes sense as he has the size to cover the larger slot receivers and hybrid TE's in the league but good enough speed to also cover to quicker CB's as well. Of course if McFadden or Poyer somehow made it to the 3rd they would be the choices but I see a run on CB's and the Pats moving up to try to scope up a guy that fits the new aggressive style of play

6th - Alex Carder QB - A lot of people are going to say who? but this kid is an interesting developmental QB from a smaller school. As the years progressed you could see his decision making drastically improving and his arm strength increasing. In 2010 he had a 63% completion %, 11' jumped to 65%, in 12' it jumped again to 68%. It wasn't just his completion % that increased, all his numbers steadily increased. To make matters better in big games, including a bowl game against Purdue, is where he really shinned. He's also going to drop because of an injury to his throwing hand but I think this kid with the right development could be worth a long look.

7th - Tyrann Mathieu CB - This one might be a pipe dream but no one expected Dennard to drop as far as he did either. Given Mathieu's size and off field issues (an arrest in October after a stint in rehab) and not playing all of last year it wouldn't shock me if he fell all the way to the 7th. If he does the Pats have to pinch themselves that 2 extremely talented CB's fell that far in back to back years and grab him up hoping his issues are behind him, otherwise he gets bounched quickly.

7th - Denard Robinson QB/WR/RB - Not sure who mentioned him first here but I like the kids style. He could be a less injury prone Edelman. When watching the kid in space and traffic he is electric with the ball and can make tacklers miss. Very quick CoD ability and smooth hips. As a late round conversion he'd make for an interesting choice

Yeah this is a crazy mock draft and most likely wouldn't happen but it would be interesting to say the least

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Any takers........

Former University of Miami defensive back Ray-Ray Armstrong will participate in game action for the first time in over a year on Saturday.

Armstrong will get a chance to play in the Texas vs. The Nation Game on Saturday, and CBS Sports pegged him as a player to keep an eye on, despite the fact that he hasn't played in game action since Nov. 2011.

After playing three years at the University of Miami, Armstrong was dismissed from the team due to illegal contact with boosters. He then enrolled at Faulkner College of the NAIA, but was ruled ineligible to play.

Armstrong now has a lot to prove if he hopes to get drafted in the later rounds of April's draft. He was previously thought of as a first-round prospect before a tumultuous senior season. His talent will be enough to catch the eye of NFL scouts, but he will have to face some tough questions about his shortcomings off the field.

In his final two seasons at Miami, Armstrong totaled over 60 tackles, four interceptions and nine passes defended. He also returned an interception for a touchdown, showing off his big-play ability.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/1/28/3926788/texas-vs-the-nation-2013-ray-ray-armstrong

Never really thought much of him at Mia truthfully. He was a mid round pick in my eyes to begin with. He had tight hips, never stayed on his assignments, had horrible insticts being looked off on every slant, and he likes to gamble a lot to increase his Madden stats. He's a huge body player that's a heavy hitter but I don't think he'd be anything more then a nickel S meant to cover TE's at the next level. I'd say we desperately need a hard hitting SS but since he gambles, takes bad angles, and can be looked off with ease I wouldn't even want him back in that position. If he went UDFA I'd take a look but I wouldn't even waste a 7th on the kid. Maybe going undrafted will knock it through his skull he's not all that and has to listen to coaches, but I doubt it. Sad really, what a waste of such physical tools

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Here is my wild and crazy mock draft. It's completely non-realistic and realistic at the same time because of the teams involved.

Trades:

#29, #91, Ryan Mallet traded to Clev for #6 and their 4th with a conditional 5th-7th pick in 2014 (prior to draft)

#6, #61 to TB for #13, #43, 6th TB targets DeMarcus Milliner and need to jump ahead of Tenn and maybe the Jets if they trade Revis to get him

Pats trade 2013 4th and Clev 4th to move back into middle of 3rd

Draft:

#13 - Sheldon Richardson DT/DE - One of the best interior rushers in the draft who's very explosive with rare athletic ability. Above average against the run but really excells at being disruptive behind the line and often seen chasing RB's down from behind. Non-stop motor full effort guy with highly developed pass rushing moves

#43 - Da'Rick Rodgers WR - A first round talent WR that will drop because of a drug related incident. BB doesn't shy away from the drug related incidents if the value is right and he doesn't have other issues following him. A mid 2nd for a top 20 talent with the size and fight the receiver core has been missing might be too much to pass up.

mid 3rd - Micah Hyde CB - Hyde is the reason the Pats move back into the 3rd. Hyde is a bigger physical CB that is comfortable in zone or in man which makes him an ideal slot CB. With the trend towards bigger physical CB's the Pats have been making Hyde only makes sense as he has the size to cover the larger slot receivers and hybrid TE's in the league but good enough speed to also cover to quicker CB's as well. Of course if McFadden or Poyer somehow made it to the 3rd they would be the choices but I see a run on CB's and the Pats moving up to try to scope up a guy that fits the new aggressive style of play

6th - Alex Carder QB - A lot of people are going to say who? but this kid is an interesting developmental QB from a smaller school. As the years progressed you could see his decision making drastically improving and his arm strength increasing. In 2010 he had a 63% completion %, 11' jumped to 65%, in 12' it jumped again to 68%. It wasn't just his completion % that increased, all his numbers steadily increased. To make matters better in big games, including a bowl game against Purdue, is where he really shinned. He's also going to drop because of an injury to his throwing hand but I think this kid with the right development could be worth a long look.

7th - Tyrann Mathieu CB - This one might be a pipe dream but no one expected Dennard to drop as far as he did either. Given Mathieu's size and off field issues (an arrest in October after a stint in rehab) and not playing all of last year it wouldn't shock me if he fell all the way to the 7th. If he does the Pats have to pinch themselves that 2 extremely talented CB's fell that far in back to back years and grab him up hoping his issues are behind him, otherwise he gets bounched quickly.

7th - Denard Robinson QB/WR/RB - Not sure who mentioned him first here but I like the kids style. He could be a less injury prone Edelman. When watching the kid in space and traffic he is electric with the ball and can make tacklers miss. Very quick CoD ability and smooth hips. As a late round conversion he'd make for an interesting choice

Yeah this is a crazy mock draft and most likely wouldn't happen but it would be interesting to say the least

Anything is possible especially when 2 friends get together and talk...

pick would really like Richardson at 13. He is a kid I have been high on for quite some time and fills an obvious need. However, if we are sitting at 6, and can package to move up again to get star, do you do it? If we shipped some picks next year plus 6, it may take us up to 3. Personally I'd star is in striking range I am grabbing him. 

I might even give up our first next year to do it. If we think we are contending next year, and are at 29 or greater again, it's a no brainier for me. monster with he and Vince and he takes over for Vince. I don't see any guys with his talent and size in this draft I could say that about...a pipe dream of my own, but worth considering if your dream materializes. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Below is my updated and expanded board (now Big 35).

New Names are highlighted in Red:

Rd 1

DT- Jesse Williams

S- Matt Elam

OG- Jonathan Cooper

WR- DeAndre Hopkins

DT- Sylvester Williams

DL- Sharrif Floyd

Rd 1-2

CB- Logan Ryan

CB- Xavier Rhodes

CB- Desmond Trufant

OL- Barrett Jones

WR- Robert Woods

DT- John Jenkins

Rd 2

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine

WR- Quinton Patton

CB- Jordan Poyer

C/OG- Travis Frederick

Rd 2-3

S- Jon Cyprien

WR/PR- Ace Sanders

CB- Jamar Taylor

WR- Markus Wheaton

LB- Kiko Alonso

Rd 3

DE/OLB- Lavar Edwards

S- Bacarri Rambo

S- Shawn Williams

OG- Brian Winters

CB- Darius Slay

WR- Ryan Swope

Rd 4-7

S- Josh Evans

WR- Conner Vernon

S- Zeke Motta

DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore

DL- Quinton Dial

DT- Josh Boyd

TE- Travis Kelce

RB- Spencer Ware

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Anything is possible especially when 2 friends get together and talk...

pick would really like Richardson at 13. He is a kid I have been high on for quite some time and fills an obvious need. However, if we are sitting at 6, and can package to move up again to get star, do you do it? If we shipped some picks next year plus 6, it may take us up to 3. Personally I'd star is in striking range I am grabbing him. 

I might even give up our first next year to do it. If we think we are contending next year, and are at 29 or greater again, it's a no brainier for me. monster with he and Vince and he takes over for Vince. I don't see any guys with his talent and size in this draft I could say that about...a pipe dream of my own, but worth considering if your dream materializes. 

I'd love to try to get Star but I just don't see either Jax or Oak not wanting to take Star. Both have DL issues and anchor DT's getting ready to leave via FA. A chance to get a 10yr top 5 DT in this league is rare and I don't see either team who are rebuilding turning down a chance to get a Luck type of player on the other side of the ball

He's like Suh without the issues

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Great stuff guys! I've been trying to catch up but you're all going too fast for me haha I still haven't got around to watching the senior bowl that I dvr'd. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the kids that have been mentioned here in the game

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Wanted to bring a new name into the safety dicussion.  We talk a lot about Matt Elam, and for good reason, but the other Gator S is a good football player as well and brings a lot of what NE is lacking... a big, aggressive physical presence that can patrol deep or play up near the LOS.

Josh Evans (6-1 205) is a good size kid that will come up and smack you in the mouth, but is a good tackler in the open field... He's also a rangy kid that moves well... blue collar kid.  Prob an early Day 3 kid with some late Day 2 upside.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

The more I think about it, the more I believe that ILB needs to be addressed this draft.  While I really love our SEC starting trio of Mayo, Spikes, & Hightower, the depth behind them doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.  No disrespect to White, Koutouvides, and Rivera, but none of them are good enough to fill the void when we are faced with an injury to one of the starters.  A solid ILB who excells in coverage and who can be effective on 3rd down passing situations is a definate need.  I really like Oregon's Alonso as a mid-late round guy if BB doesn't address the position earlier.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Wanted to bring a new name into the safety dicussion.  We talk a lot about Matt Elam, and for good reason, but the other Gator S is a good football player as well and brings a lot of what NE is lacking... a big, aggressive physical presence that can patrol deep or play up near the LOS.

Josh Evans (6-1 205) is a good size kid that will come up and smack you in the mouth, but is a good tackler in the open field... He's also a rangy kid that moves well... blue collar kid.  Prob an early Day 3 kid with some late Day 2 upside.

Good stuff, MB.  I read some good things about him recently.  Definitaly a name to keep in mind if we don't grab Elam or one of the elite safety prospects early.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

The more I think about it, the more I believe that ILB needs to be addressed this draft.  While I really love our SEC starting trio of Mayo, Spikes, & Hightower, the depth behind them doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.  No disrespect to White, Koutouvides, and Rivera, but none of them are good enough to fill the void when we are faced with an injury to one of the starters.  A solid ILB who excells in coverage and who can be effective on 3rd down passing situations is a definate need.  I really like Oregon's Alonso as a mid-late round guy if BB doesn't address the position earlier.

I think a lot depends on the status of Dane Fletcher.  I think BB likes the kid and he's flashed some ability, but if he's not brought back, then yes, Kiko is the top ILB on my board to fill the need... kid should be off the board by the end of Day 2, IMO.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Good stuff, MB.  I read some good things about him recently.  Definitaly a name to keep in mind if we don't grab Elam or one of the elite safety prospects early.

Funny thing is, I was watching some Sharrif Floyd tape and was thinking, who is this DB that keeps blowing guys up, haha... so I researched him a bit... Evans actually led Florida in tackles this past season and was 5th in 2011.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I think a lot depends on the status of Dane Fletcher.  I think BB likes the kid and he's flashed some ability, but if he's not brought back, then yes, Kiko is the top ILB on my board to fill the need... kid should be off the board by the end of Day 2, IMO.

Good point about Dane.  Yeah, he could help fill the void, but help would still be good at the ILB spot, IMO.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

If you are talking using a pick in the first 3 rounds then I don't want to spend heavily on a backup plan when there are other holes that need to be filled. But, if you are talking about accuring a mid round pick and targetting a coverage specialist to replace White and let Nink be the emergency OLB backup with Fletcher the other backup I'm all for it

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I had a mild man-crush on Ansah before the Senior Bowl. Last night I finally got to see the entire first half of the game. I now have a serious case of infatuation.

The announcer mentioned he ran a 10.9 100 just a few years ago. That is better than many NFL wide receivers or running backs. With 270 lbs, he's probably slower than that now, but it sure did not look that way when he caught Robinson on a reverse. He could turn out to be the quickest and fastest DL. 

The thing is he's also very strong. That became obvious when he did a bull rush against one the RTs.

And it does not look like he's even close to peaking as a football player. It also does not look like he is incapable of really learning the game... fast.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Someone here mentioned Brandon Williams, the 340 lb DT from Southern Missouri. I checked whatever youtube was available and I really find him intriguing. He could be available in the fourth, but would not mind picking him up in the third.

Dontari Poe shot up the boards after showing his quickness for a kid that heavy. Williams is likely to show the same athleticsm at the combine. He definitely has agility and quick twitch legs. He also shows off his arm strength on a youtube of him doing a handstand (Okay, okay, I may be getting carried away).

Here's the big difference between Poe and Williams... Williams actually showed his talents on the field, accumulating 5 FFs, 8.5 sacks and 16.5 TFLs. In the Senior Bowl, he dominated OLs one one-on-ones.

He's from a small school, sure. I think it just means he'll have some adjustments to do, but I think he'll be fine.

Williams could be that kid that VW needs next to him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

If you are talking using a pick in the first 3 rounds then I don't want to spend heavily on a backup plan when there are other holes that need to be filled. But, if you are talking about accuring a mid round pick and targetting a coverage specialist to replace White and let Nink be the emergency OLB backup with Fletcher the other backup I'm all for it

I completely agree.  We have bigger holes to fill with our first 3 picks (S; CB; WR; DT; etc).  In a perfect world, BB will be able to trade back into the 40's from #29, and possibly again in the second round to acquire a couple of mid-round picks.  I'm sure BB could find a good coverage specialist/backup ILB in the 4-6 round range.  Hopefully we can gain a pick or 2 somewhere in that part of the draft.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

MB and the gang of draftniks,while your mentioning SS First guy who'll be taken by the Patriots will be Ed Reed! As soon as the Ravens let him search for a new job the Patriots will be his new home. However if that doesn't take place then what are the chances of them just refortifying the O-line with the likes of Barrett Jones? Or Joeckel if he should slide? My choice for a safety would be Zeke Motta saw him play his HS career and he's a keeper!The other really pressing need for the Patriots is a receiver who can take the top off the defense and whose big enough to beat the snot out of Pollard and his ilk of DB's.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

MB and the gang of draftniks,while your mentioning SS First guy who'll be taken by the Patriots will be Ed Reed! As soon as the Ravens let him search for a new job the Patriots will be his new home. However if that doesn't take place then what are the chances of them just refortifying the O-line with the likes of Barrett Jones? Or Joeckel if he should slide? My choice for a safety would be Zeke Motta saw him play his HS career and he's a keeper!The other really pressing need for the Patriots is a receiver who can take the top off the defense and whose big enough to beat the snot out of Pollard and his ilk of DB's.

While Reed could be an option, he's more of a FS.

OL is certainly an option and if they address in the Top 40-50 or so, Barrett Jones would be near the top of my board in that aspect... as would UNC's Jon Cooper, who would prob need to be taken at 29.

Joeckel is in the discussion for #1 overall, so I don't see any scenerio where he'd be in range.

I too like Motta and think he's in the S discussion in the late Day 2, Day 3 range.

I'd love to see them bring in a DeAndre Hopkins or Robert Woods or Quinton Patton, etc. on Day 1 or 2.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Agreed that the focus should be on filling bigger holes on Day 1/2.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Someone here mentioned Brandon Williams, the 340 lb DT from Southern Missouri. I checked whatever youtube was available and I really find him intriguing. He could be available in the fourth, but would not mind picking him up in the third.

Dontari Poe shot up the boards after showing his quickness for a kid that heavy. Williams is likely to show the same athleticsm at the combine. He definitely has agility and quick twitch legs. He also shows off his arm strength on a youtube of him doing a handstand (Okay, okay, I may be getting carried away).

Here's the big difference between Poe and Williams... Williams actually showed his talents on the field, accumulating 5 FFs, 8.5 sacks and 16.5 TFLs. In the Senior Bowl, he dominated OLs one one-on-ones.

He's from a small school, sure. I think it just means he'll have some adjustments to do, but I think he'll be fine.

Thanks sp, I've been meaning to give this kid a look.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Thanks sp, I've been meaning to give this kid a look.

I just finshed watching the Senior Bowl last night. He had an unremarkable game. S Williams, K Short, and others were definitely more active at penetration. I am not sure if they just told him to clog the lanes. I think the kid can penetrate if asked.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Here is another, Bradley McDougald (6, 208)not sure if he was mentioned but he played for Charlie Weis. Weis said  he was his best player. Can also play WR.

01/01/13 - For the first time since 2010, the Kansas University football team is sending multiple players to the NFL combine. Senior safety Bradley McDougald and senior offensive lineman Tanner Hawkinson both received invitations to the annual skills showcase, which will take place Feb. 23-26 in Indianapolis. McDougald, whom KU coach Charlie Weis at one point called the best player on the team, announced the news via Twitter on Tuesday. Hawkinson, a four-year starter and KU’s record holder for consecutive starts, confirmed his invitation to the Journal-World via text message. - KUSports.com

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Here is another, Bradley McDougald (6, 208)not sure if he was mentioned but he played for Charlie Weis. Weis said  he was his best player. Can also play WR.

01/01/13 - For the first time since 2010, the Kansas University football team is sending multiple players to the NFL combine. Senior safety Bradley McDougald and senior offensive lineman Tanner Hawkinson both received invitations to the annual skills showcase, which will take place Feb. 23-26 in Indianapolis. McDougald, whom KU coach Charlie Weis at one point called the best player on the team, announced the news via Twitter on Tuesday. Hawkinson, a four-year starter and KU’s record holder for consecutive starts, confirmed his invitation to the Journal-World via text message. - KUSports.com

Thanks, JJ.

Sections
Shortcuts