***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

If BB was able to swing a deal with Lombardi in which they acquire the #6 pick, I would almost guarantee that he attempts to trade back to acquire more picks.  If he did keep it, which I think is unlikely, I hope he'd address the defensive side of the ball (Milliner/Werner/Moore/ Lotulelei, etc).

I would agree ...he trades back and can still grab a very good player in the Early teens. I got to think DT is high of his list. I don't think we will see him draft a de..would love if he traded back from 6, grabbed Richardson to play DT, with  an extra high second pick, maybe steal Hopkins , and then sit at bottom of 2 and grab a cb, and that kid who plays safety at FI...

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:

Rd 1

Trade or

DE Alex Okafor

DE Sam Montgomery

DL Datone Jones

CB Xavier Rhodes

CB Marcus Trufant

CB Johnthan Banks

CB Jordan Poyer

WR Cordarelle Patterson

WR DeAndre Hopkins

Rd 2

CB Jamar Taylor

CB Darius Slay

CB Logan Ryan

CB Robert Alford

WR Aaron Dobson

WR Tavon Austin

DL Brandon Williams

DT Sylvester Williams

Rd 3

CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson

CB Leon McFadden

WR Stedman Bailey

WR Ryan Swope

WR Chris Harper

WR Marquise Goodwin

DE/OLD John Simon

S/CB Melvin White

S Jonathan Cyprien

Rd 7

CB Tyrann Mathieu

RB Marcus Lattimore

OT Jeff Nady

WR Aaron Mellette

WR TJ Moe

Key Free Agents

Danny Amendola 

Osi Umenyiora

Key Losses

Wes Welker

Danny Woodhead

Kyle Arrington

Patrick Chung

hey ricky, in black is who you want most?

have had no time and no tlikely in future.

no knowledge of cyprian or alford.

not bad on positon adds and losses (almost all the positions ive wanted save cover lb)

why lose woody?

why not add safety in fa? lower risk.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Rd 1

Trade or

DE Alex Okafor

DE Sam Montgomery

DL Datone Jones

CB Xavier Rhodes

CB Marcus Trufant

CB Johnthan Banks

CB Jordan Poyer

WR Cordarelle Patterson

WR DeAndre Hopkins

Rd 2

CB Jamar Taylor

CB Darius Slay

CB Logan Ryan

CB Robert Alford

WR Aaron Dobson

WR Tavon Austin

DL Brandon Williams

DT Sylvester Williams

Rd 3

CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson

CB Leon McFadden

WR Stedman Bailey

WR Ryan Swope

WR Chris Harper

WR Marquise Goodwin

DE/OLD John Simon

S/CB Melvin White

S Jonathan Cyprien

Rd 7

CB Tyrann Mathieu

RB Marcus Lattimore

OT Jeff Nady

WR Aaron Mellette

WR TJ Moe

Key Free Agents

Danny Amendola 

Osi Umenyiora

Key Losses

Wes Welker

Danny Woodhead

Kyle Arrington

Patrick Chung

interesting but why do you think Woodhead is leaving?

Not sure I like the Osi pickup. Yes he got 6sacks coming off the bench but he's looking for a fat payday for a guy with no heart. He gives effort when he wants and truthfully I'm starting to see his abilities in decline. I'd rather put that money into a S or DT.

A like the Mathieu pick in the 7th. I have a feeling he'll still be there too.

Why no interior pass rush in FA or draft? Do you think Deadrick or Love is good enough?

Just out of curiousity what do you see in Alford to make him a 2nd round pick? I don't know much about the kid but just looking at his career numbers and I'm not seeing much. Coming from a smaller school I'd expect him to be more dominant to warrent a higher pick, esp in the Southland FCS and I'm just not seeing it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Rd 1

Trade or

DE Alex Okafor

DE Sam Montgomery

DL Datone Jones

CB Xavier Rhodes

CB Marcus Trufant

CB Johnthan Banks

CB Jordan Poyer

WR Cordarelle Patterson

WR DeAndre Hopkins

Rd 2

CB Jamar Taylor

CB Darius Slay

CB Logan Ryan

CB Robert Alford

WR Aaron Dobson

WR Tavon Austin

DL Brandon Williams

DT Sylvester Williams

Rd 3

CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson

CB Leon McFadden

WR Stedman Bailey

WR Ryan Swope

WR Chris Harper

WR Marquise Goodwin

DE/OLD John Simon

S/CB Melvin White

S Jonathan Cyprien

Rd 7

CB Tyrann Mathieu

RB Marcus Lattimore

OT Jeff Nady

WR Aaron Mellette

WR TJ Moe

Key Free Agents

Danny Amendola 

Osi Umenyiora

Key Losses

Wes Welker

Danny Woodhead

Kyle Arrington

Patrick Chung

interesting but why do you think Woodhead is leaving?

Not sure I like the Osi pickup. Yes he got 6sacks coming off the bench but he's looking for a fat payday for a guy with no heart. He gives effort when he wants and truthfully I'm starting to see his abilities in decline. I'd rather put that money into a S or DT.

A like the Mathieu pick in the 7th. I have a feeling he'll still be there too.

Why no interior pass rush in FA or draft? Do you think Deadrick or Love is good enough?

Just out of curiousity what do you see in Alford to make him a 2nd round pick? I don't know much about the kid but just looking at his career numbers and I'm not seeing much. Coming from a smaller school I'd expect him to be more dominant to warrent a higher pick, esp in the Southland FCS and I'm just not seeing it.

I haven't seen the kid play much if at all, but I do think lack of statistics could reflect teams not wanting to throw to his side of the field, just a thought.  The lack of stats would be more alarming to me if it were an offensive skill guy or even a rush end not generating sacks, but DB can be tough to gauge based on that alone. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Rd 1

Trade or

DE Alex Okafor

DE Sam Montgomery

DL Datone Jones

CB Xavier Rhodes

CB Marcus Trufant

CB Johnthan Banks

CB Jordan Poyer

WR Cordarelle Patterson

WR DeAndre Hopkins

Rd 2

CB Jamar Taylor

CB Darius Slay

CB Logan Ryan

CB Robert Alford

WR Aaron Dobson

WR Tavon Austin

DL Brandon Williams

DT Sylvester Williams

Rd 3

CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson

CB Leon McFadden

WR Stedman Bailey

WR Ryan Swope

WR Chris Harper

WR Marquise Goodwin

DE/OLD John Simon

S/CB Melvin White

S Jonathan Cyprien

Rd 7

CB Tyrann Mathieu

RB Marcus Lattimore

OT Jeff Nady

WR Aaron Mellette

WR TJ Moe

Key Free Agents

Danny Amendola 

Osi Umenyiora

Key Losses

Wes Welker

Danny Woodhead

Kyle Arrington

Patrick Chung

Given these options, I'd go with this:

Rd 1- WR Hopkins

Rd 2- CB Ryan

Rd 3- S Cyprien

RD 7- RB Lattimore

Rd 7- CB Mathieu

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Random thought.  Stephen Gostkowski is going to command a huge salary for a kicker this year.  He has been good for us throughout his career, but was really shaky at times last year.  FSU's Dustin Hopkins is one of the best colligiate kickers to come out in a while.  Does anyone think BB pulls the trigger on Hopkins somewhere in Day 3 if he's still available to compete with Ghost in camp and possibly come as a better, cheaper option at kicker?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Random thought.  Stephen Gostkowski is going to command a huge salary for a kicker this year.  He has been good for us throughout his career, but was really shaky at times last year.  FSU's Dustin Hopkins is one of the best colligiate kickers to come out in a while.  Does anyone think BB pulls the trigger on Hopkins somewhere in Day 3 if he's still available to compete with Ghost in camp and possibly come as a better, cheaper option at kicker?

With the value that BB places on the kicking game/ST in general, I do think it's an option, yes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I haven't seen the kid play much if at all, but I do think lack of statistics could reflect teams not wanting to throw to his side of the field, just a thought.  The lack of stats would be more alarming to me if it were an offensive skill guy or even a rush end not generating sacks, but DB can be tough to gauge based on that alone. 

While normally I agree MB, it's feast or famine for the top players, his numbers are usually in the dead center of average. So, QB's aren't shying away from him if he's still putting up decent numbers. He gets a handful of picks a year, has decent tackle numbers, usually in the upper single digits lower double digits for PD's, and a handful of plays behind the line. These down the middle numbers in a bigger conference would look impressive but for a smaller/weaker conference they should be just middle of the road. He also missed all of 2010 and parts of 2012 because of injury which to me should be a major red flag

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

The son of "The Minister" flashing some ability in the "Texas vs. The Nation" practices... could be another intriguing Day 3 DT/NT option:

8. Anthony White, DT, Michigan State (6014, 334 and 5.10 E): On Tuesday White flashed, but struggled with consistency, so today it was impressive to see him make big plays throughout today’s practice. For a 330+ pound DT, White’s initial quickness is shocking and enables him to get hands on OL before they are set to block. He consistently showed the strength to jolt and drive pass blocker backwards when he bull rushed and was able to anchor vs run blocks. His initial quickness, strength and hand use let White consistently defeat blocks to get backfield penetration to make plays behind the LOS. While White is far from a finished product, he showed today that he has the talent to be a starting nose tackle in the NFL when he plays with aggressiveness and good technique.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Below are some Day 3-URFA offensive players that interest me… most haven’t really been discussed… a few have a chance to be taken late on Day 2.

QB- EJ Manuel- FSU

QB- Collin Klein- KSU

QB- Colby Cameron- LTU

WR- TJ Moe- Missouri

WR- Tavarres King- Georgia

WR- Sam McGuffie- Rice

WR- Chad Bumphis- Miss State

WR- Denard Robinson- Michigan

WR- Zach Rogers- Tenn

WR- Josh Boyce- TCU

RB- Spencer Ware- LSU

RB- Michael Ford- LSU

RB- Knile Davis- Arkansas

RB- Stefphon Jefferson- Nevada

FB- Zach Line- SMU

FB- Lonnie Pryor- FSU

FB- Kyle Juszczyk- Harvard

TE- Travis Kelce- Cincy

TE- Nick Kasa- Colorado

TE- Levine Toilolo- Stanford

TE- Dion Sims- Michigan State

TE- Vance McDonald- Rice

TE- Michael Williams- Alabama

TE- Joseph Fauria- UCLA

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The son of "The Minister" flashing some ability in the "Texas vs. The Nation" practices... could be another intriguing Day 3 DT/NT option:

8. Anthony White, DT, Michigan State (6014, 334 and 5.10 E): On Tuesday White flashed, but struggled with consistency, so today it was impressive to see him make big plays throughout today’s practice. For a 330+ pound DT, White’s initial quickness is shocking and enables him to get hands on OL before they are set to block. He consistently showed the strength to jolt and drive pass blocker backwards when he bull rushed and was able to anchor vs run blocks. His initial quickness, strength and hand use let White consistently defeat blocks to get backfield penetration to make plays behind the LOS. While White is far from a finished product, he showed today that he has the talent to be a starting nose tackle in the NFL when he plays with aggressiveness and good technique.

He was a day 3 type of guy right? Might be worth a good look from this report

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

That's how I referenced him above, haha.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

While normally I agree MB, it's feast or famine for the top players, his numbers are usually in the dead center of average. So, QB's aren't shying away from him if he's still putting up decent numbers. He gets a handful of picks a year, has decent tackle numbers, usually in the upper single digits lower double digits for PD's, and a handful of plays behind the line. These down the middle numbers in a bigger conference would look impressive but for a smaller/weaker conference they should be just middle of the road. He also missed all of 2010 and parts of 2012 because of injury which to me should be a major red flag

Alford is someone I was lukewarm on heading into the Senior Bowl, but after seeing him at the Senior Bowl he solidified himself as a Late 2nd-Mid 3rd round player for me. He isn't great at anything, but he competes well. He has decent enough size, is pretty physical, and can definitely run as we saw on that KR. He also is good in short areas, has good COD/quickness, which BB likes. Not sure if he is someone BB will target, but in the Late 2-3 range, you could do worse, you could also probably do better. Especially in this draft.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

That's how I referenced him above, haha.

Readings hard >.<

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

Below are some Day 3-URFA offensive players that interest me… most haven’t really been discussed… a few have a chance to be taken late on Day 2.

QB- EJ Manuel- FSU

QB- Collin Klein- KSU

QB- Colby Cameron- LTU

WR- TJ Moe- Missouri

WR- Tavares King- Georgia

WR- Sam McGuffie- Rice

WR- Zach Rogers- Tenn

WR- Josh Boyce- TCU

RB- Spencer Ware- LSU

RB- Michael Ford- LSU

FB- Zach Line- SMU

FB- Lonnie Pryor- FSU

TE- Travis Kelce- Cincy

TE- Nick Kasa- Colorado

TE- Vance McDonald- Rice

TE- Joseph Fauria- UCLA

I like this list of players a lot.

At WR, Tavarres King is someone I like even as high as Round 4. He is a solid all-around player who can run good routes, and knows how to win on the outside. He isn't the best athlete, but he has solid quickness and decent speed on the outside. Also Chad Bumphis stood out to me at EW Shrine game, nice find.

At TE, all those guys you mentioned are pretty good players. This TE class actually runs pretty deep. Toilolo out of Stanford has gotten very little pub and could be a nice target in the late rounds at this point. Kelce, Sims, McDonald and Williams I see in the 4th-5th range. Not sure I'd want to go that high for a TE this year, but it's possible.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

QB- EJ Manuel- FSU

QB- Collin Klein- KSU

QB- Colby Cameron- LTU

WR- TJ Moe- Missouri

WR- Sam McGuffie- Rice

WR- Zach Rogers- Tenn

WR- Josh Boyce- TCU

RB- Spencer Ware- LSU

RB- Michael Ford- LSU

FB- Zach Line- SMU

FB- Lonnie Pryor- FSU

TE- Travis Kelce- Cincy

TE- Nick Kasa- Colorado

TE- Vance McDonald- Rice

TE- Joseph Fauria- UCLA

I like Klein a lot. Though I doubt he'll ever be Brady I can see him being a player that people look at and wonder why he went in the 6th/7th

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I just read a projection for the 2013 comp picks on "Blogging the Beast" and they have us getting shut out this year.  I have no idea if this is an accurate projection or not, but they seemed pretty credible.  I was hoping for a 6th rounder or so for Green-Ellis, but looks like we may not get it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I just read a projection for the 2013 comp picks on "Blogging the Beast" and they have us getting shut out this year.  I have no idea if this is an accurate projection or not, but they seemed pretty credible.  I was hoping for a 6th rounder or so for Green-Ellis, but looks like we may not get it.

well Fenana cancelled out BJGE and I can't really think of anyone else we lost to FA (not released). I wouldn't expect to get any this year. If we loss Wes though and big no big names in I expect at least a 4th next year for Wes

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

There is no way Lattimore is there in the 7th.  McGahee went in the 1st despite his horrific injury and modern medicine has improved tremendously since then.  Not saying Lattimore will be a 1st rounder, but someone will take a flier on him well before the 7th imo.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

There is no way Lattimore is there in the 7th.  McGahee went in the 1st despite his horrific injury and modern medicine has improved tremendously since then.  Not saying Lattimore will be a 1st rounder, but someone will take a flier on him well before the 7th imo.

I'd bet money that he's off the board by the end of Day 2... at the very latest, end of Rd 4.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to sportslover21's comment:

QB- EJ Manuel- FSU

QB- Collin Klein- KSU

QB- Colby Cameron- LTU

WR- TJ Moe- Missouri

WR- Tavares King- Georgia

WR- Sam McGuffie- Rice

WR- Zach Rogers- Tenn

WR- Josh Boyce- TCU

RB- Spencer Ware- LSU

RB- Michael Ford- LSU

FB- Zach Line- SMU

FB- Lonnie Pryor- FSU

TE- Travis Kelce- Cincy

TE- Nick Kasa- Colorado

TE- Vance McDonald- Rice

TE- Joseph Fauria- UCLA

I like this list of players a lot.

At WR, Tavarres King is someone I like even as high as Round 4. He is a solid all-around player who can run good routes, and knows how to win on the outside. He isn't the best athlete, but he has solid quickness and decent speed on the outside. Also Chad Bumphis stood out to me at EW Shrine game, nice find.

At TE, all those guys you mentioned are pretty good players. This TE class actually runs pretty deep. Toilolo out of Stanford has gotten very little pub and could be a nice target in the late rounds at this point. Kelce, Sims, McDonald and Williams I see in the 4th-5th range. Not sure I'd want to go that high for a TE this year, but it's possible.

Class def has a ton of big bodied, upside prospects at the TE position.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

QB- EJ Manuel- FSU

QB- Collin Klein- KSU

QB- Colby Cameron- LTU

WR- TJ Moe- Missouri

WR- Sam McGuffie- Rice

WR- Zach Rogers- Tenn

WR- Josh Boyce- TCU

RB- Spencer Ware- LSU

RB- Michael Ford- LSU

FB- Zach Line- SMU

FB- Lonnie Pryor- FSU

TE- Travis Kelce- Cincy

TE- Nick Kasa- Colorado

TE- Vance McDonald- Rice

TE- Joseph Fauria- UCLA

I like Klein a lot. Though I doubt he'll ever be Brady I can see him being a player that people look at and wonder why he went in the 6th/7th

Def a lot of work to do with his mechanics, but I love the size, intangibles and mobility... he was also ranked 10th nationally in YPA, so he does have some potential, IMO.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Watching some old Patriots games (SB2005) and looking at this year.  What stands out is the push from the DL and the edge rushing back then.  The other is outstanding safety play.  That was the year Troy Brown played CB and it seem Wilson and Harrison were everywhere always helping the CBs.  The DL always had a push and would always try to move the QB out of his comfort zone.  The Safeties didn't let anything get behind them.  Another was the chipping and hitting within 5 yards of the LOS.  Every play some one was doing that.  

With that, I think a Safety and DT/DE will have to be #1 and#2 priority either in FA or Draft. I know some people want a WR, but I think the impact will be greater if these two are filled with quality players. This defense is very young, but not far off.

In the first 3 rounds in the Patriots range:(no order on players)

SAFETY                             DT                             DE or OLB34

Reid                              Jenkins                       Montgomery

Elam                             Williams, S                  Hunt

Thomas                         Williams, B                  Goodman

Rambo                          Short                          Carradine, Tank

Jefferson                                                         Jenkins, B

Cyprien                                                           Simon, J

There is probably more, I'll keep looking.  There will also be risers and fallers, for sure.