***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

A follow up on TXs vs the Nation, this kid shows promise but will have to do some explaining.

Armonty Bryant, DE, East Central Oklahoma (6041, 262 and 4.85 E): From the first snap at practice on Tuesday, Bryant was clearly the best play on the field and that continued throughout the week. Long and linear, Bryant’s explosive first step and speed enable him to consistently beat the OT to the turn point. Possessing quick feet and agility, he showed the ability to change directions in a flash to beat pass blocker inside and outside. His excellent use of his hands and long arms show up in his wide variety of pass rush moves. His play this week proved he should have been at the Senior Bowl as he has legit second/third round talent and only has to overcome questions about his off-field decision making (He was arrested on suspicion of felonious distribution of marijuana within 2,000 feet of a school in 2012) to be drafted on day two.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Final-breakdown-of-players-that-shined-in-practices-at-Texas-vs-the-Nation-Game.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

What's the deal with Travis Long, LB/DL Washington State?  He had 9 sacks in 11 games.  I like his size, 6-4, 245.  He's a bit lanky so he should be able to bulk up.  I see that he's listed as a 3/4 rounder.  He's coming off a knee so not sure if he'll work out at the Combine.  But he is a natural pass rusher.

What's up faucet?  Nice find with Long.  He is one of my Cougs and I have seen every game of his career.  Really a high energy pass rusher who will give 100 percent on every play.  You are right, he will need to add 15-20lbs to be effective at the NFL level, but he definitely has the frame to do it while keeping his explosiveness. He did suffer a knee injury this year, but from what I have read  it will not keep him out of spring workouts.  He may not be ready for the combine, but likely will participate in the WSU pro day.  I love his upside, and he may be had sometime on Day 3.  A possible 7th round gem.  I believe his game is similar to that of Brooks Reed coming out a couple years ago.

Thanks.  I don't think he makes it to the 7th do you?  I was thinking 4th would be his ceiling.  You can never have too many pass rushers.

No, he probably won't get to the 7th. I hope we are able to gain a few mid round picks to target someone like Long.  I could see him falling a little bit if he doesn't participate in the combine though...probably a 3rd to 5th round range for him, realistically.  He is a very good player, but teams started to game plan around him because the rest of Wazzu's D wasn't real good.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

mb,

i see a number of mockers beginning to give one of one of my top receivers (and yours)  hopkins to the pats.

i still have elite pass rusher as #1 need and if not picked up in fa, its #1 in draft.

big cb and big wr (the rest of top 3 needs i see [players at these positions ive listed throughout this thread]).

Hopkins certainly makes a ton of sense from a talent/need perspective.

I have others rated ahead of him, but would be pretty excited to hear his name called for NE on Day 1.

i thought i saw you post you wanted hopkins as yoru #1 wr for pats. has that changed?

Others meaning other players, not other WR's... he's the top WR on my board.

thanks for clarification, i too would have other playres above wr in rd 1 for us.

but if we get a stud starter at 3 positons of need including pass rusher,  big wr and cb (or if sign a fa cb, then safety, dt, cover lb, or stud o line)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Below is my updated and expanded Big 40, new additions highlighted in Red:

Rd 1

DT- Jesse Williams

DT- John Hankins

S- Matt Elam

OG- Jonathan Cooper

DT- Sylvester Williams

WR- DeAndre Hopkins

Rd 1-2

CB- Logan Ryan

CB- Desmond Trufant

OL- Barrett Jones

CB- Xavier Rhodes

DT- John Jenkins

Rd 2

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine

WR- Quinton Patton

CB- Jordan Poyer

C/OG- Travis Frederick

WR- Robert Woods

Rd 2-3

S- Jon Cyprien

CB- Jamar Taylor

WR/PR- Ace Sanders

WR- Stedman Bailey

WR- Markus Wheaton

LB- Kiko Alonso

Rd 3

DE/OLB- Lavar Edwards

S- Bacarri Rambo

S- Shawn Williams

DE/OLB- Michael Buchanan

WR- Ryan Swope

OG- Brian Winters

CB- Darius Slay

Rd 4-7

S- Josh Evans

WR- Conner Vernon

S- Zeke Motta

DL- Quinton Dial

DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore

DT- Josh Boyd

TE- Travis Kelce

S- Cooper Taylor

RB- Spencer Ware

WR- TJ Moe

DT- Anthony White

he mb, 

i see you added hankins, do you feel hes falling and may make it to end of rd 1?

do see hopkins is still your #1 wr to pats

i see syl williams, dont knwo when he got on your rd 1 list, do you know when you added him (mine coulple mo)

stud pass rusher, big cb, big wr still my 3 top needs

I think there's a chance he could be there at the end of Rd 1, but it only takes one team to change that... watched a lot of tape on him this week and like what I saw.  Good size and power, very strong at the POA, moves well up the field and laterally and is always giving up a good effort... the Urban/Vrabel connection could also come into play.

I didn't see you talk about Sylvester Williams as a Rd 1 kid until I had mentioned him there.  He's been on my board since 11/27, were he started as a Rd 2 option and has moved up from there... post my board updates for everyone to see.

yes, but i cant rememebr everything. probably was thinking abotu yoru round 1 picks which i focused on for the most part (yrous/mine). 

syl williams went up on my radar when i began to feel we might not have any pass rushing des fall to us and i began conidering dts who can penetrate and sack.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

adding ss cooper taylor, 6, 4" 229 lbs 4.45 40  out of richmond to my 7th round possibilities

brugler on:

With his size and strength, he is an enforcer against the run but he also showed the range and athleticism to be effective in coverage as well as the football intelligence to digest a lot of coaching all at once. Taylor routinely drew praise from the coaching staff during drills and often made the calls to get his teammates in proper position. His NFL draft arrow is pointing up after this week, creating some buzz among scouts. - Dane Brugler

I like him as a Day 3 option, added him to my board Senior Bowl week... love the kid's size.

i havent watched any post nc game action. too busy. but last week looking at random prospects and found him. size (along with the talent, toughness, speed) is the reason i came to him as well (looking for size in secondary and at wr)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:

All,

Who is your "must have non-Rd 1" offensive and defensive player in this class?

This may change, but as of today, I want:

Defense:  FIU S Jon Cyprien- A big, active, versatile and instinctive assassin for the back end of the D... something they're lacking.

Offense:  LTU WR Quinton Patton- Good size, competitive kid that has big play ability and can win outside the hash marks, but also has the quicks/fluidity/COD/RAC ability that BB likes in his perimeter skill guys.

Surprisingly, both are from "smaller" schools.

cyprien and duke williams both really impressed me with their physicality in the senior bowl. 

but for me it's two speed guys who i think will be game changers.

Defense- Robert Alfrod CB- elite athlete, 4.3 speed, physical, never gets beat deep.

Offense- Marquise Goodwin WR- elite speed/burst/yac.. can attack a defense with quick screens and curls and then blow by defenders on deep routes. 

hey ricky,

you cant coach height. never gets beat deep in college is great. what is he going to do against a long 6 3" - 6 4" wr

ditto goodwin, give me the height plus the package (at wr adn db)(and there are several to choose from)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

RE: Ogletree:

If this kid is around 245 at the combine, there should be some serious discussion on him as a Rd 1 option in that hybrid S/LB type player.  Not saying they would or should take him that high, heck, I don't even think he'll be available at 29... but he does present a skill set (size/speed/former S) that will help combat today's evolving NFL offenses... as others have mentioned.

At the end of the day, I think they hope to utilize Dane Fletcher (whom they just resigned) in this capacity.

Thanks for your feedback on Long and Ogletree.  I do think if Ogletree is there at 29 he would be strongly considered.  Fletcher is coming off an ACL so who knows where he'll be plus he was at best a 4.70 guy where Ogletree probably runs in the 4.5-4.6 range.  I'd like to see Hightower back at his natural position inside as he was at Bama.  I think Spikes should be the role player coming in on running plays or 34 sets.  I think Mayo and Ogletree on the outside would be pretty dynamic in coverage and coming off the edge.  BB has shown a tendency to draft high at the LB position in recent years with Mayo, Spikes and Hightower where in the past he never took a LB before the 3rd round (Bruschi).

Agreed that we need to get faster and better in coverage especially against TEs and tall receivers.

Having said all that, we do need WR more than any other position followed closely by CB depending on Talib.  But being 12-4, we do have the luxury of going BPA so we'll probably take an OT to replace Vollmer (back/contract).  Fluker is probably the best RT prospect in the draft and he might be there at 29.  I think he would be an upgrade over a healthy Vollmer and would be better in run blocking as he is just a beast in that department.

nice notes, had we a pass rush id agree with bpa, unless we get a fa pass rusher, i still gotta have a very good pass rusher somewhere in the draft. that along with big wr, big cb or cover lb are heightened needs (of these cover lb i think might be easiest to pickup in fa). fletcher is not quick enough.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

this is a good article about how ive been thinking for the past year or so regarding our offense (and the need for bog outisde threat [with large catching radius] and it's subsequnet effect on opening up the run and short and middle pass).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1501657-how-the-patriots-offense-can-reach-new-heights-in-2013

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

adding ss cooper taylor, 6, 4" 229 lbs 4.45 40  out of richmond to my 7th round possibilities

brugler on:

With his size and strength, he is an enforcer against the run but he also showed the range and athleticism to be effective in coverage as well as the football intelligence to digest a lot of coaching all at once. Taylor routinely drew praise from the coaching staff during drills and often made the calls to get his teammates in proper position. His NFL draft arrow is pointing up after this week, creating some buzz among scouts. - Dane Brugler

Nice. Kid has great size. How do you feel about him being a hybrid type player?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

All,

Defense:  FIU S Jon Cyprien- A big, active, versatile and instinctive assassin for the back end of the D... something they're lacking.

Offense:  LTU WR Quinton Patton- Good size, competitive kid that has big play ability and can win outside the hash marks, but also has the quicks/fluidity/COD/RAC ability that BB likes in his perimeter skill guys.

Defense: Originally it was Motta, but now after all the talk and seeing Cyprien, I have to go with him.

Offense: OT Oday Aboushi- Love his style, good size, needs some work but its nothing Scarnecchia can't handle

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

this is a good article about how ive been thinking for the past year or so regarding our offense (and the need for bog outisde threat [with large catching radius] and it's subsequnet effect on opening up the run and short and middle pass).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1501657-how-the-patriots-offense-can-reach-new-heights-in-2013

Good article. I've been thinking lately that they could really use a big, fast guy who can stretch the field and take two down field with him. The problem is, where do find a guy like that in FA for a cheap price? If they resign Welker, I don't see how they could afford it unless they get really lucky. So the best way to get someone with those capabilities for a cheaper cost would be through the draft. As much as I want a DT or S, I've been leaning towards WR lately. I'd love a kid like Hopkins here and go DT and S in round 2 and 3?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

I'd also like to add that I'm suprised Swinney hasn't been backing Hopkins decision to leave saying he doesn't think he's ready yet.

"I felt like he needed another year," said Swinney, "I felt like another year would be beneficial to him from an overall growth standpoint. That’s my opinion. I’ve said this before: unless you are a first-rounder I just don’t think it’s worth giving up your senior year in college."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

brugler on:

Based on what I've read about the kid, he does have that hybrid potential... hopefully there'll be some film of him out there soon.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'd also like to add that I'm suprised Swinney hasn't been backing Hopkins decision to leave saying he doesn't think he's ready yet.

"I felt like he needed another year," said Swinney, "I felt like another year would be beneficial to him from an overall growth standpoint. That’s my opinion. I’ve said this before: unless you are a first-rounder I just don’t think it’s worth giving up your senior year in college."

Agreed... I mean, you can't fault a guy for being honest, but with Hopkins having made his decision to declare, I'm not sure why Swinney would make those comments publicly or what benefit they'd have to the kid. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

All,

Defense: Originally it was Motta, but now after all the talk and seeing Cyprien, I have to go with him.

Offense: OT Oday Aboushi- Love his style, good size, needs some work but its nothing Scarnecchia can't handle

This S class def presents BB with a chance to add size/toughness/physicality to the secondary, whether it be Elam or Cyprien or Motta or Florida's other S Josh Evans or Shawn Williams, etc.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

brugler on:

Based on what I've read about the kid, he does have that hybrid potential... hopefully there'll be some film of him out there soon.

Hey MB, thanks for the info. I'd like to see them draft a kid like this or Holloman, especially if more teams start running the no-huddle

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Agreed... I mean, you can't fault a guy for being honest, but with Hopkins having made his decision to declare, I'm not sure why Swinney would make those comments publicly or what benefit they'd have to the kid. 

True, I'm sure some teams are wondering now why he said that now. This isn't Mark Sanchez and Pete Carroll we're talking about here haha

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

All,

This S class def presents BB with a chance to add size/toughness/physicality to the secondary, whether it be Elam or Cyprien or Motta or Florida's other S Josh Evans or Shawn Williams, etc.

+1. Originally I thought it was a below-average safety class but there seems to be a good amount of kids who have a lot to offer

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

All,

cyprien and duke williams both really impressed me with their physicality in the senior bowl. 

Defense- Robert Alfrod CB- elite athlete, 4.3 speed, physical, never gets beat deep.

Offense- Marquise Goodwin WR- elite speed/burst/yac.. can attack a defense with quick screens and curls and then blow by defenders on deep routes. 

Believe it or not, The National Football Post has Duke as their #1 CB and #11 player overall in this class.  I personally like it when a site goes with its convictions, even if they seem to differ from the consensus.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

On the topic of quicker/faster backers, UConn's Sio Moore is a kid that I think BB could be interested in.

Kid has had a very good post season, performing so well during the Shrine Game/practices that we was invited to play in the Senior Bowl.

On tape he looks very active, aggressive an instinctive and is always around the football.  He's also versatile and is moved all over the defense... lining up inside, outside as a rush backer and having coverage responsibilities showing good movement ability... he's also shows some ability to rush off the end and is an effective blitzer.

Kid's a good football player, has some play making ability, evident by his 15.5 TFL, 7.5 sacks and 11 PBU this season and at 6-1 240, he's roughly the same size as Jerod Mayo back in 2008.

He's not the prototype 34 stack/shed type backer, but his skill set should be useful to a defense that's trying to combat more pass happy offenses.

Looks like a late Day 2, early Day 3 pick.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Good article. I've been thinking lately that they could really use a big, fast guy who can stretch the field and take two down field with him. The problem is, where do find a guy like that in FA for a cheap price? If they resign Welker, I don't see how they could afford it unless they get really lucky. So the best way to get someone with those capabilities for a cheaper cost would be through the draft. As much as I want a DT or S, I've been leaning towards WR lately. I'd love a kid like Hopkins here and go DT and S in round 2 and 3?

i have cb need above safety. id go s in fa. i keep talib and get a big cb in draft. so new guy, tgalbi, dennard adn dowling. pass rusher, wr , cb as top 3 draft needs for me. theres always fa. depneds how they work the cap

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

All,

hey ricky,

you cant coach height. never gets beat deep in college is great. what is he going to do against a long 6 3" - 6 4" wr

ditto goodwin, give me the height plus the package (at wr adn db)(and there are several to choose from)

you can't coach speed and burst either bred and goodwin is the fastest WR in the entire draft. robert alford is around 6 feet tall which is plenty big for the NFL.

i also agree NE needs some size at WR that's why i'm in favor of double dipping in the draft. at the moment there is only 1 WR on the roster so it isn't a far fetched idea and we've seen BB do it before with TE's and RB's.

my perfect draft scenerio would be 1st round WR Cordarelle Patterson, 2nd round CB Robert Alford, 3rd round WR Marquise Goodwin,7th round CB Tyrann Mathieu, 7th round Melvin White who seems to still be flying under the radar.

thanks for the thoughts ricky.

on white:

WEAKNESSES

Will be considered a corner/safety ‘tweener by some NFL teams because of lean build and lack of fluidity in his backpedal and overall movement. Might not have the flexibility and foot quickness to trail quicker receivers off the line and to stick on double-moves. His recovery speed is also lacking once his feet stop in coverage. Needs to show he can also use his hands to effectively press, as well as beat receiver blocks outside and stick in coverage against stronger competition.

and

alford is 5 10"

im lokking 6 2" or taller (at least 6 1")

patterson would be a steal.

what about pass rush? f agency? 

love reading  new draft thoughts and strategies.

and cover lb (bb better not roll into the season thinking fletcher is going to be good enough/fast enoug to do it)

out to gym,

peace

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts