***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

another scenario:

ffuture new mock has montgomery at 29, jordan at 30.

what would you do?

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2013/nflmockdraft.html

Jordan all day for me... much bigger upside, IMO... and is a much more versatile player.

Also, Jordan has coverage responsibilities today and has the size/athleticism/length to combat the big/athletic flex TE's that we see in the NFL today.

I agree. He's a pass rusher who has experience covering slot. He probably can cover a TE.

yes and i laugh when i see it. though who knows how reactive-fast he will be when he gains 15+ lbs

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

by the way,

"Osemele, shot at being the best guard in football next year". According to ross tucker.

thats drafting...

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

scenarios:

no pass rusher in fa.

vaccaro and elam are gone

cooper and b jones are gone

j williams is gone.

rhodes is gone.

ansah and jordan are gone.

as well as all the tier 1 dts/des

syl williams, sharrif floyd, hopkins and okafor are there. who do you take at 29?

I like Williams but would probably take Hopkins instead

youd go wr in rd 1?

if we got a pass rusher in fa, id be ok wr in rd 1.

Some of it depends on the Welker, Talib situation. If they keep Welker and Talib then I don't see them having the ability to bring in a deep threat by FA or trade. If trade for a cheaper guy then he'll probably want a new contract. I see the draft as being the only way to add a deep threat wr at a cheaper cost.

If Jenkins or J. Williams is there, I'd be tempted to take either one over Hopkins but would take Hopkins over S.Williams (who i like as well and would take if these other 3 were gone)

To be honest though I think Hopkins is probably the only reciever I'd take in the 1st round.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

scenarios:

no pass rusher in fa.

vaccaro and elam are gone

cooper and b jones are gone

j williams is gone.

rhodes is gone.

ansah and jordan are gone.

as well as all the tier 1 dts/des

syl williams, sharrif floyd, hopkins and okafor are there. who do you take at 29?

I like Williams but would probably take Hopkins instead

youd go wr in rd 1?

if we got a pass rusher in fa, id be ok wr in rd 1.

Some of it depends on the Welker, Talib situation. If they keep Welker and Talib then I don't see them having the ability to bring in a deep threat by FA or trade. If trade for a cheaper guy then he'll probably want a new contract. I see the draft as being the only way to add a deep threat wr at a cheaper cost.

If Jenkins or J. Williams is there, I'd be tempted to take either one over Hopkins but would take Hopkins over S.Williams (who i like as well and would take if these other 3 were gone)

To be honest though I think Hopkins is probably the only reciever I'd take in the 1st round.

hey home, thanks for weighing in. yes i was not sugesting an outside wr from fa. but possibly a pass rusher, safty.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

where the hell is everyone and on natl signing day...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:

another scenario:

ffuture new mock has montgomery at 29, jordan at 30.

what would you do?

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2013/nflmockdraft.html

montgomery

hey ricky, give it to me, why montgomery over jorden?

because NE has been a 4-3 defense for the past couple seasons and montgomery is easily the better 4-3 DE. jordan is primarily a 3-4 OLB imo, i haven't seen anything to think he can be a dominant 4-3 DE in the NFL, and he's a bit overrated to me. if NE was switching back to a 3-4 i would take corey lemonier over dion jordan. lemonier looks like a lamar woodley clone to me.

thanks for sayng man. hear yhou on lemonier.

see jordan as a tremndous talent to bed the edge

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

scenario:

datone jones or okafor at 29?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

scenario:

datone jones or okafor at 29?

jones has come on strong and offers versatility BB covets by being able to play every position on the Dline. however, there are questions about his effort and consistency. he could be one of those guys who only plays his hardest during contract years. 

okafor to me is probably the most complete 4-3 DE in the draft at this point. there are guys with more athleticism and higher upsides, but he is the most NFL ready and could contribute right away. i'd take okafor if deciding between the 2.

the 2nd round to me is where the value is. i would trade #29 to a QB needy team, pick up a 2nd rounder and an additional pick. 

what do you get instead of what is available ther at 29. (what are you bypassing, and what are you getting)? team needs stids not ok players. cb, pass rusher, outside big wr, o line, ( and maybe less elite safety, cover lb ie upgrading these 2 helple even if not elite)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

The more I hear Felger and Mazz discuss it, the more I buy into the belief that Welker has caught his last pass in a Patriots' uniform... tag will be used on Talib.

I believe that the succession plan is in place and in house with Hernandez turning into your primary slot guy, Edelman being re-signed to provide depth and Gronk/Ballard as your primary TE's.

I do think that they'll need to pickup another TE (with receiving ability) and believe, under this scenario, that they could target one of the many late Day 2/ Day 3 kids available in this years draft class (list below):

TE- Travis Kelce- Cincy

TE- Nick Kasa- Colorado

TE- Levine Toilolo- Stanford

TE- Dion Sims- Michigan State

TE- Vance McDonald- Rice

TE- Michael Williams- Alabama

TE- Joseph Fauria- UCLA

I also think another WR is in play, whether it be in FA or in the Draft, giving you the following:

WR:  Lloyd, Hernandez, Edelman, FA/Drafted player (Boldin (if he's released), Jennings (prob too expensive), Amendola, Bowe (see: Jennings, Greg), Hartline, Donnie Avery, Brandon Gibson, Johnny Knox, Devery Henderson, etc. /  Hopkins, Patton, Woods, Sanders, Bailey, Swope, Wheaton, Vernon, Harper, Moe etc.).

TE:  Gronk/Ballard/FA/Drafted player/maybe Hooman

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

3 takeaways from National Signing Day:

1.  ND has set themselves up for the long term, with an excellent class (Top 3 in most publications) loaded with OL, RB, LB and DB talent.

2.  I think parents should let a kid decide where he wants to go, vs. trying to force a kid's future (Alex Collins' mother is an example... check this story out:  http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/02/06/3220454/mother-of-former-miami-hurricanes.html

3.  The clock has started for Ole Miss to be brought up on major NCAA recruiting violations.  I'm sorry, but when you're a relative bottom feeder SEC team and all of a sudden pull in a Top 5 class (including Top WR Laquon Treadwell posting the following pic:  http://www.tnsportsradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/808419_original.jpg) the red flags are obvious.  If I'm wrong, I'll apologize.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The more I hear Felger and Mazz discuss it, the more I buy into the belief that Welker has caught his last pass in a Patriots' uniform... tag will be used on Talib.

I believe that the succession plan is in place and in house with Hernandez turning into your primary slot guy, Edelman being re-signed to provide depth and Gronk/Ballard as your primary TE's.

I do think that they'll need to pickup another TE (with receiving ability) and believe, under this scenario, that they could target one of the many late Day 2/ Day 3 kids available in this years draft class (list below).

I also think another WR is in play, whether it be in FA or in the Draft, giving you the following:

WR:  Lloyd, Hernandez, Edelman, FA/Drafted player (Boldin (if he's released), Jennings (prob too expensive), Amendola, Bowe (see: Jennings, Greg), Hartline, Donnie Avery, Brandon Gibson, Johnny Knox, Devery Henderson, etc. /  Hopkins, Patton, Woods, Sanders, Bailey, Swope, Wheaton, Vernon, Harper, Moe etc.).

TE- Travis Kelce- Cincy

TE- Nick Kasa- Colorado

TE- Vance McDonald- Rice

TE- Joseph Fauria- UCLA

If I was looking for a receiving TE in this draft I'd be looking at Chris Gragg. He's a tweener to small for a TE but to large and slow for a WR. The kid mismatches though when matched up against smaller S's and is too quick for LB's. If he makes it into the back end of day 2 or early day 3 I'd look to move up and grab him, provided they want another Hern type

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

1.  ND has set themselves up for the long term, with an excellent class (Top 3 in most publications) loaded with OL, RB, LB and DB talent.

2.  I think parents should let a kid decide where he wants to go, vs. trying to force a kid's future (Alex Collins' mother is an example... check this story out:  http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/02/06/3220454/mother-of-former-miami-hurricanes.html

3.  The clock has started for Ole Miss to be brought up on major NCAA recruiting violations.  I'm sorry, but when you're a relative bottom feeder SEC team and all of a sudden pull in a Top 5 class (including Top WR Laquon Treadwell posting the following pic:  http://www.tnsportsradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/808419_original.jpg) the red flags are obvious.  If I'm wrong, I'll apologize.

Yeah MB, interesting national signing day.  Kelly pulled in a terrific class for ND for sure.  Looks like he aimed at upgrading the secondary, which was much needed.  Also, I'm sure you're right about Ole Miss.  No way they pull in that type of class without a little bit (or a lot) of shaddy play.  Wazzu's class, while far from elite, was leaps and bounds better than anything they've had in the previous 5 years.  Progress, baby!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Yeah MB, interesting national signing day.  Kelly pulled in a terrific class for ND for sure.  Looks like he aimed at upgrading the secondary, which was much needed.  Also, I'm sure you're right about Ole Miss.  No way they pull in that type of class without a little bit (or a lot) of shaddy play.  Wazzu's class, while far from elite, was leaps and bounds better than anything they've had in the previous 5 years.  Progress, baby!

Def the Mike Leach effect.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

i'll be pissed if NE takes a TE in the first 3 rounds. gronk/ballard/hernandez is more than adequate. 

I too prefer that they address other positions first on Day 1/2... TE class looks deep so there should be some talent available on Day 3.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I do think that they'll need to pickup another TE (with receiving ability) and believe, under this scenario, that they could target one of the many late Day 2/ Day 3 kids available in this years draft class (list below).

TE- Travis Kelce- Cincy

TE- Nick Kasa- Colorado

TE- Vance McDonald- Rice

TE- Joseph Fauria- UCLA

If I was looking for a receiving TE in this draft I'd be looking at Chris Gragg. He's a tweener to small for a TE but to large and slow for a WR. The kid mismatches though when matched up against smaller S's and is too quick for LB's. If he makes it into the back end of day 2 or early day 3 I'd look to move up and grab him, provided they want another Hern type

Certainly fits the mold of that flex TE/H back type, just a matter of what kinda kid BB is targeting for the position.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

TE- Travis Kelce- Cincy

TE- Nick Kasa- Colorado

TE- Vance McDonald- Rice

TE- Joseph Fauria- UCLA

Certainly fits the mold of that flex TE/H back type, just a matter of what kinda kid BB is targeting for the position.

Here is a player that might be worth a late round pick. No way I want a TE in the first 3 rnds, plus we can use Hooman and Brad Herman, if they are back.

4. Keavon Milton, TE, Louisiana-Monroe, Senior (6040, 280 and 4.90 E): Scouts have been telling us all season about Milton and now even more so because they were surprised that he was not invited to any All Star games. No one has been talking about him being a high draft pick or ever making big plays as a receiver, but numerous scouts felt that he has value in the NFL because of his dominant blocking ability. Interestingly, some NFL people believe he is best suited to be a backup tight end who contributes as a blocker and short area receiver. While others feel that he has the size, long arms, athleticism and blocking ability to slide inside and try and develop as an offensive tackle or guard. He may not get any publicity between now and the Draft because he is not going to the Combine and will not “wow” anyone with workout numbers at his pro day. However, I am confident he will be drafted by a team based on the number of scouts that believe so strongly in his potential.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/February-6th-Draft-Rumblings.html

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

re # 3, this is a quick reaction and inmaking that kind of claim, i feel it would have been better to look deeper first (even if thats in back of mind). ie investigate that in all the cases of the top players, there were tie ins that made ole miss sigining a possibility. ie #1 signee brother of player on the team. you can beign to see this by simply reading the espn articles on the ole miss signings. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I do think that they'll need to pickup another TE (with receiving ability) and believe, under this scenario, that they could target one of the many late Day 2/ Day 3 kids available in this years draft class (list below):

TE- Travis Kelce- Cincy

TE- Nick Kasa- Colorado

TE- Vance McDonald- Rice

TE- Joseph Fauria- UCLA

dont know if youve seen many o fmy posts on on the board the subject over the last year mb

has been my contention from start talib was teh most imp fa to tag. and postseason cemented that while it would be nice to keep welker in best case scenario (plenyty of $ to spare) , teh way to teh super bowl is with a big outside wr who can separate to complement the rest of teh weapons and make it impossible to shut the off down pass and run (somethiging welker cannot do. good defenses can clamp down on the short and middle,; and lloyd aint the guy to loosen that up).

i can see releasing lloyd if drafted outside wr works out and or we pick up a fa wr. 

hooman can do as 4th te, unless we pick up a fa te cheap or 7th rder or udfa that has better all around ability

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

TE- Travis Kelce- Cincy

TE- Nick Kasa- Colorado

TE- Vance McDonald- Rice

TE- Joseph Fauria- UCLA

Here is a player that might be worth a late round pick. No way I want a TE in the first 3 rnds, plus we can use Hooman and Brad Herman, if they are back.

4. Keavon Milton, TE, Louisiana-Monroe, Senior (6040, 280 and 4.90 E): Scouts have been telling us all season about Milton and now even more so because they were surprised that he was not invited to any All Star games. No one has been talking about him being a high draft pick or ever making big plays as a receiver, but numerous scouts felt that he has value in the NFL because of his dominant blocking ability. Interestingly, some NFL people believe he is best suited to be a backup tight end who contributes as a blocker and short area receiver. While others feel that he has the size, long arms, athleticism and blocking ability to slide inside and try and develop as an offensive tackle or guard. He may not get any publicity between now and the Draft because he is not going to the Combine and will not “wow” anyone with workout numbers at his pro day. However, I am confident he will be drafted by a team based on the number of scouts that believe so strongly in his potential.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/February-6th-Draft-Rumblings.html

good stuff

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

re # 3, this is a quick reaction and inmaking that kind of claim, i feel it would have been better to look deeper first (even if thats in back of mind). ie investigate that in all the cases of the top players, there were tie ins that made ole miss sigining a possibility. ie #1 signee brother of player on the team. you can beign to see this by simply reading the espn articles on the ole miss signings. 

It's not a quick reaction, it's thinking realistically... they haven't been good and can't recruit on reputation, because they haven't been good... so Hugh Freeze (who's going into his 2nd season after moving over from Arkansas St) is either the best recruiter in the nation or there's something else going on... I lean towards the latter.  I get it that Nkemdiche's broski plays for Ole Miss, unfortunately that rationale/reasoning doesn't apply to the rest of the class. 

I follow recruiting very closely, year round and don't need ESPN's articles to tell me what I can see with my own eyes. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

TE- Travis Kelce- Cincy

TE- Nick Kasa- Colorado

TE- Vance McDonald- Rice

TE- Joseph Fauria- UCLA

dont know if youve seen many o fmy posts on on the board the subject over the last year mb

has been my contention from start talib was teh most imp fa to tag. and postseason cemented that while it would be nice to keep welker in best case scenario (plenyty of $ to spare) , teh way to teh super bowl is with a big outside wr who can separate to complement the rest of teh weapons and make it impossible to shut the off down pass and run (somethiging welker cannot do. good defenses can clamp down on the short and middle,; and lloyd aint the guy to loosen that up).

i can see releasing lloyd if drafted outside wr works out and or we pick up a fa wr. 

hooman can do as 4th te, unless we pick up a fa te cheap or 7th rder or udfa that has better all around ability

Everyone knows that Talib is their most important defensive target, it's not a mystery... the question is how to keep him while minimizing risk... franchising him seems like the most likely option to accomplish both.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Below is a link to the Combine invite list, incase anyone is curious:

http://www.nflcombine.net/players/official-invite-list