***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

The more I hear Felger and Mazz discuss it, the more I buy into the belief that Welker has caught his last pass in a Patriots' uniform... tag will be used on Talib.

I believe that the succession plan is in place and in house with Hernandez turning into your primary slot guy, Edelman being re-signed to provide depth and Gronk/Ballard as your primary TE's.

I do think that they'll need to pickup another TE (with receiving ability) and believe, under this scenario, that they could target one of the many late Day 2/ Day 3 kids available in this years draft class (list below).

I also think another WR is in play, whether it be in FA or in the Draft, giving you the following:

WR:  Lloyd, Hernandez, Edelman, FA/Drafted player (Boldin (if he's released), Jennings (prob too expensive), Amendola, Bowe (see: Jennings, Greg), Hartline, Donnie Avery, Brandon Gibson, Johnny Knox, Devery Henderson, etc. /  Hopkins, Patton, Woods, Sanders, Bailey, Swope, Wheaton, Vernon, Harper, Moe etc.).

TE:  Gronk/Ballard/FA/Drafted player/maybe Hooman

TE- Travis Kelce- Cincy

TE- Nick Kasa- Colorado

TE- Levine Toilolo- Stanford

TE- Dion Sims- Michigan State

TE- Vance McDonald- Rice

TE- Michael Williams- Alabama

TE- Joseph Fauria- UCLA

If I was looking for a receiving TE in this draft I'd be looking at Chris Gragg. He's a tweener to small for a TE but to large and slow for a WR. The kid mismatches though when matched up against smaller S's and is too quick for LB's. If he makes it into the back end of day 2 or early day 3 I'd look to move up and grab him, provided they want another Hern type

Certainly fits the mold of that flex TE/H back type, just a matter of what kinda kid BB is targeting for the position.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

The more I hear Felger and Mazz discuss it, the more I buy into the belief that Welker has caught his last pass in a Patriots' uniform... tag will be used on Talib.

I believe that the succession plan is in place and in house with Hernandez turning into your primary slot guy, Edelman being re-signed to provide depth and Gronk/Ballard as your primary TE's.

I do think that they'll need to pickup another TE (with receiving ability) and believe, under this scenario, that they could target one of the many late Day 2/ Day 3 kids available in this years draft class (list below).

I also think another WR is in play, whether it be in FA or in the Draft, giving you the following:

WR:  Lloyd, Hernandez, Edelman, FA/Drafted player (Boldin (if he's released), Jennings (prob too expensive), Amendola, Bowe (see: Jennings, Greg), Hartline, Donnie Avery, Brandon Gibson, Johnny Knox, Devery Henderson, etc. /  Hopkins, Patton, Woods, Sanders, Bailey, Swope, Wheaton, Vernon, Harper, Moe etc.).

TE- Travis Kelce- Cincy

TE- Nick Kasa- Colorado

TE- Vance McDonald- Rice

TE- Joseph Fauria- UCLA

If I was looking for a receiving TE in this draft I'd be looking at Chris Gragg. He's a tweener to small for a TE but to large and slow for a WR. The kid mismatches though when matched up against smaller S's and is too quick for LB's. If he makes it into the back end of day 2 or early day 3 I'd look to move up and grab him, provided they want another Hern type

Certainly fits the mold of that flex TE/H back type, just a matter of what kinda kid BB is targeting for the position.

Here is a player that might be worth a late round pick. No way I want a TE in the first 3 rnds, plus we can use Hooman and Brad Herman, if they are back.

4. Keavon Milton, TE, Louisiana-Monroe, Senior (6040, 280 and 4.90 E): Scouts have been telling us all season about Milton and now even more so because they were surprised that he was not invited to any All Star games. No one has been talking about him being a high draft pick or ever making big plays as a receiver, but numerous scouts felt that he has value in the NFL because of his dominant blocking ability. Interestingly, some NFL people believe he is best suited to be a backup tight end who contributes as a blocker and short area receiver. While others feel that he has the size, long arms, athleticism and blocking ability to slide inside and try and develop as an offensive tackle or guard. He may not get any publicity between now and the Draft because he is not going to the Combine and will not “wow” anyone with workout numbers at his pro day. However, I am confident he will be drafted by a team based on the number of scouts that believe so strongly in his potential.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/February-6th-Draft-Rumblings.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

3 takeaways from National Signing Day:

1.  ND has set themselves up for the long term, with an excellent class (Top 3 in most publications) loaded with OL, RB, LB and DB talent.

2.  I think parents should let a kid decide where he wants to go, vs. trying to force a kid's future (Alex Collins' mother is an example... check this story out:  http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/02/06/3220454/mother-of-former-miami-hurricanes.html

3.  The clock has started for Ole Miss to be brought up on major NCAA recruiting violations.  I'm sorry, but when you're a relative bottom feeder SEC team and all of a sudden pull in a Top 5 class (including Top WR Laquon Treadwell posting the following pic:  http://www.tnsportsradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/808419_original.jpg) the red flags are obvious.  If I'm wrong, I'll apologize.

re # 3, this is a quick reaction and inmaking that kind of claim, i feel it would have been better to look deeper first (even if thats in back of mind). ie investigate that in all the cases of the top players, there were tie ins that made ole miss sigining a possibility. ie #1 signee brother of player on the team. you can beign to see this by simply reading the espn articles on the ole miss signings. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I do think that they'll need to pickup another TE (with receiving ability) and believe, under this scenario, that they could target one of the many late Day 2/ Day 3 kids available in this years draft class (list below):

TE- Travis Kelce- Cincy

TE- Nick Kasa- Colorado

TE- Vance McDonald- Rice

TE- Joseph Fauria- UCLA

dont know if youve seen many o fmy posts on on the board the subject over the last year mb

has been my contention from start talib was teh most imp fa to tag. and postseason cemented that while it would be nice to keep welker in best case scenario (plenyty of $ to spare) , teh way to teh super bowl is with a big outside wr who can separate to complement the rest of teh weapons and make it impossible to shut the off down pass and run (somethiging welker cannot do. good defenses can clamp down on the short and middle,; and lloyd aint the guy to loosen that up).

i can see releasing lloyd if drafted outside wr works out and or we pick up a fa wr. 

hooman can do as 4th te, unless we pick up a fa te cheap or 7th rder or udfa that has better all around ability

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

TE- Travis Kelce- Cincy

TE- Nick Kasa- Colorado

TE- Vance McDonald- Rice

TE- Joseph Fauria- UCLA

Here is a player that might be worth a late round pick. No way I want a TE in the first 3 rnds, plus we can use Hooman and Brad Herman, if they are back.

4. Keavon Milton, TE, Louisiana-Monroe, Senior (6040, 280 and 4.90 E): Scouts have been telling us all season about Milton and now even more so because they were surprised that he was not invited to any All Star games. No one has been talking about him being a high draft pick or ever making big plays as a receiver, but numerous scouts felt that he has value in the NFL because of his dominant blocking ability. Interestingly, some NFL people believe he is best suited to be a backup tight end who contributes as a blocker and short area receiver. While others feel that he has the size, long arms, athleticism and blocking ability to slide inside and try and develop as an offensive tackle or guard. He may not get any publicity between now and the Draft because he is not going to the Combine and will not “wow” anyone with workout numbers at his pro day. However, I am confident he will be drafted by a team based on the number of scouts that believe so strongly in his potential.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/February-6th-Draft-Rumblings.html

good stuff

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

3 takeaways from National Signing Day:

1.  ND has set themselves up for the long term, with an excellent class (Top 3 in most publications) loaded with OL, RB, LB and DB talent.

2.  I think parents should let a kid decide where he wants to go, vs. trying to force a kid's future (Alex Collins' mother is an example... check this story out:  http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/02/06/3220454/mother-of-former-miami-hurricanes.html

3.  The clock has started for Ole Miss to be brought up on major NCAA recruiting violations.  I'm sorry, but when you're a relative bottom feeder SEC team and all of a sudden pull in a Top 5 class (including Top WR Laquon Treadwell posting the following pic:  http://www.tnsportsradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/808419_original.jpg) the red flags are obvious.  If I'm wrong, I'll apologize.

re # 3, this is a quick reaction and inmaking that kind of claim, i feel it would have been better to look deeper first (even if thats in back of mind). ie investigate that in all the cases of the top players, there were tie ins that made ole miss sigining a possibility. ie #1 signee brother of player on the team. you can beign to see this by simply reading the espn articles on the ole miss signings. 

It's not a quick reaction, it's thinking realistically... they haven't been good and can't recruit on reputation, because they haven't been good... so Hugh Freeze (who's going into his 2nd season after moving over from Arkansas St) is either the best recruiter in the nation or there's something else going on... I lean towards the latter.  I get it that Nkemdiche's broski plays for Ole Miss, unfortunately that rationale/reasoning doesn't apply to the rest of the class. 

I follow recruiting very closely, year round and don't need ESPN's articles to tell me what I can see with my own eyes. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

I do think that they'll need to pickup another TE (with receiving ability) and believe, under this scenario, that they could target one of the many late Day 2/ Day 3 kids available in this years draft class (list below):

TE- Travis Kelce- Cincy

TE- Nick Kasa- Colorado

TE- Vance McDonald- Rice

TE- Joseph Fauria- UCLA

dont know if youve seen many o fmy posts on on the board the subject over the last year mb

has been my contention from start talib was teh most imp fa to tag. and postseason cemented that while it would be nice to keep welker in best case scenario (plenyty of $ to spare) , teh way to teh super bowl is with a big outside wr who can separate to complement the rest of teh weapons and make it impossible to shut the off down pass and run (somethiging welker cannot do. good defenses can clamp down on the short and middle,; and lloyd aint the guy to loosen that up).

i can see releasing lloyd if drafted outside wr works out and or we pick up a fa wr. 

hooman can do as 4th te, unless we pick up a fa te cheap or 7th rder or udfa that has better all around ability

Everyone knows that Talib is their most important defensive target, it's not a mystery... the question is how to keep him while minimizing risk... franchising him seems like the most likely option to accomplish both.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Below is a link to the Combine invite list, incase anyone is curious:

http://www.nflcombine.net/players/official-invite-list

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Gotta admit, KSU WR Chris Harper (a kid that Ricky and others are high on) is really growing on my as a Day 3 (maybe late Day 2 if he runs well).

Maybe it was watching Anquan Boldin use his size, hands and competitiveness to make plays during Baltimore's Super Bowl run... but this is the player that Harper reminds me of.

Harper hasn't doesn't appear to have NFL deep speed on tape (looks like a 4.5 - 4.6 kid, IMO), but I love that he's a hands catcher; he demonstrates good ball skills, and is a bull after the catch, showing solid RAC ability.  Should also be a weapon in the redzone with is ability to shield defenders with his size.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

The only reason I would want to pick up a TE is to keep them away from other teams. However, I do not think another TE would make the Pats a better team. They have passed the point of diminishing returns on TE.

The thought of putting Hern at slot concerns me. I do not think he can be as reliable as WW. As some have mentioned, he drops balls at a higher rate - significantly. In the slot, he would also be catching a lot of balls in traffic. I don't like that. He's shown alligator arms in that situation, and I believe he's given up more than a couple of pick sixes this way already. Add in the fumbles, and it's hard to see how he can even be close to being as effective as Wes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Gotta admit, KSU WR Chris Harper (a kid that Ricky and others are high on) is really growing on my as a Day 3 (maybe late Day 2 if he runs well).

Maybe it was watching Anquan Boldin use his size, hands and competitiveness to make plays during Baltimore's Super Bowl run... but this is the player that Harper reminds me of.

Harper hasn't doesn't appear to have NFL deep speed on tape (looks like a 4.5 - 4.6 kid, IMO), but I love that he's a hands catcher; he demonstrates good ball skills, and is a bull after the catch, showing solid RAC ability.  Should also be a weapon in the redzone with is ability to shield defenders with his size.

I like Harper too. 

Interesting WR rankings on nfldraftscout

#15 Stills (rnd 3/4); #16 King; #17 Swope; #18 Harper; #19 Vernon

I don't mind the Pats picking up any one of them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nic1776. Show nic1776's posts

Hey mbeaulieu07

Kudos on your mock draft but it's baffling how you could completely omit one of the top SS in the draft. I’m talking about Jonathan Cyprien out of Florida International, same school that produced T.Y. Hilton of the Colts, Antwan Barnes of the Chargers and yes, our beloved Mike Lowell of the Bosox. Cyprien has been flying under the radar for a while but he was a total beast at the Senior Bowl, considered by most scouts not only as the best Safety around but also as the best overall defensive player in Mobile. Eagles, Steelers, Lions, etc are drooling over this guy.. Matt Elam from Florida may come from a bigger school and better competition but Cyprien has more intangibles and due to the knock on his college background, he'll have a chip on his shoulder during the combine and during his NFL career. The  guy is a tackling machine, built like an army, an on field vocal leader (see his draft reviews) and better yet, he's got a tough yet“controllably”nasty-South Florida-in your face swagger about him that the Patriots desperately need in their secondary and overall defense. We need to toughen up our team a bit more and this is the type of guy to get it done. He could be the next Rodney Harrison. I hope the Pats take him and from my end, I suggest you revise your board after checking this draft riser! 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to nic1776's comment:

Hey mbeaulieu07

Kudos on your mock draft but it's baffling how you could completely omit one of the top SS in the draft. I’m talking about Jonathan Cyprien out of Florida International, same school that produced T.Y. Hilton of the Colts, Antwan Barnes of the Chargers and yes, our beloved Mike Lowell of the Bosox. Cyprien has been flying under the radar for a while but he was a total beast at the Senior Bowl, considered by most scouts not only as the best Safety around but also as the best overall defensive player in Mobile. Eagles, Steelers, Lions, etc are drooling over this guy.. Matt Elam from Florida may come from a bigger school and better competition but Cyprien has more intangibles and due to the knock on his college background, he'll have a chip on his shoulder during the combine and during his NFL career. The  guy is a tackling machine, built like an army, an on field vocal leader (see his draft reviews) and better yet, he's got a tough yet“controllably”nasty-South Florida-in your face swagger about him that the Patriots desperately need in their secondary and overall defense. We need to toughen up our team a bit more and this is the type of guy to get it done. He could be the next Rodney Harrison. I hope the Pats take him and from my end, I suggest you revise your board after checking this draft riser! 

nic,

You need to get yourself caught up, because it's well documented that I'm one of the biggest proponents of Cyprien on here... even referring to him as my "must have non-Rd1 defensive player". 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Any chance Armond Armstead is a solution for more QB pressure - allowing us more draft and free agency flexibility?

Haven't heard a lot of comments on this guy -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PZjbbph7O-g

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

People here are talking about getting 'studs' and not just serviceable players in the draft. I know with the rookie scale high picks are no longer the liability they used to be and that kills some of BB's strategy of always trading back, but ...

With a pick late in the first round vs. say a mid second and mid third what do you guys think are the odds of a 'stud' in that scenario.

Just seems to me that picks of say #1-20 (minus QBs) are maybe 80% stud probability. Picks 25 - 32 that probably drops to closer to 50%. picks 40 - 60 maybe 35% 70-80 maybe 30%.

My percentages are all relative so if I have overstated across the board it would still lead to the same conclusion. A 'stud' hit rate would still be better with the 2 later picks than with the single first rounder.

So on draft day, if I am BB, if one of my top 20 picks drops to 29 I take him. If not, I try to get the mid second and mid third rounder for my #29.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Always looking for some players in later rounds: (David Bass 6'4"  263) a DIV-II player looks the part dominating his competition. OLB/DE Speaking of the Shrine Game, we spoke glowingly of Missouri Western defender David Bass during our coverage of practice. Recent word has the 260-pound Bass running the forty in the mid 4.6’s during workouts. If he runs that fast at the combine his stock will rise as teams will give him consideration as both a 3-4 outside linebacker as well as a 4-3 defensive end.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6741

Name: David Bass

College: Missouri Western

Number: 91

Height: 6-4 Weight: 263

Position: DE Pos2:

Class/Draft Year: Sr/2013

40 Low: 4.62 40 Time: 4.73 40 High: 4.85

Projected Round: 5

Stock: Rated number 16 out of 211 DE's

01/18/13 - 2013 SHRINE GAME PRACTICE RISERS: 7. DE David Bass, Missouri Western State (6036, 263 -- East Team)...Bass dominated the Division-II ranks, bringing a productive resume to the NFL with 56 tackles for loss and 39.5 sacks over his career. And playing next to FBS-prospects in St. Pete's, he didn't look out of place with the quickness and hand strength to defeat blocks and find his way to the ballcarrier. Bass has room to refine his pass rush moves to be more effective, but he flashed in practice why he was able to be so productive in college. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

People here are talking about getting 'studs' and not just serviceable players in the draft. I know with the rookie scale high picks are no longer the liability they used to be and that kills some of BB's strategy of always trading back, but ...

With a pick late in the first round vs. say a mid second and mid third what do you guys think are the odds of a 'stud' in that scenario.

Just seems to me that picks of say #1-20 (minus QBs) are maybe 80% stud probability. Picks 25 - 32 that probably drops to closer to 50%. picks 40 - 60 maybe 35% 70-80 maybe 30%.

My percentages are all relative so if I have overstated across the board it would still lead to the same conclusion. A 'stud' hit rate would still be better with the 2 later picks than with the single first rounder.

So on draft day, if I am BB, if one of my top 20 picks drops to 29 I take him. If not, I try to get the mid second and mid third rounder for my #29.

I think it's easy for people to say, "draft studs" and while history has proven that you can find very good talent in every round (i.e. TB or Dick Sherman or Marques Colston, etc.), the later you are in the draft, the less likely you are to find impact talent (as we all know).  We can credit the personnel types that drafted these late round gems all we want, but in all reality, if they KNEWthe player was that good, they wouldn't have waited so long to take them.

I think most fans would/should be pretty stoked if BB were able to pull (2) good/very good starters out of this draft class.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mcboyd22's comment:

Any chance Armond Armstead is a solution for more QB pressure - allowing us more draft and free agency flexibility?

I like his talent/upside for sure, look forward to seeing what he can do.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Always looking for some players in later rounds: (David Bass 6'4"  263) a DIV-II player looks the part dominating his competition. OLB/DE Speaking of the Shrine Game, we spoke glowingly of Missouri Western defender David Bass during our coverage of practice. Recent word has the 260-pound Bass running the forty in the mid 4.6’s during workouts. If he runs that fast at the combine his stock will rise as teams will give him consideration as both a 3-4 outside linebacker as well as a 4-3 defensive end.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6741

Name: David Bass

College: Missouri Western

Number: 91

Height: 6-4 Weight: 263

Position: DE Pos2:

Class/Draft Year: Sr/2013

40 Low: 4.62 40 Time: 4.73 40 High: 4.85

Projected Round: 5

Stock: Rated number 16 out of 211 DE's

01/18/13 - 2013 SHRINE GAME PRACTICE RISERS: 7. DE David Bass, Missouri Western State (6036, 263 -- East Team)...Bass dominated the Division-II ranks, bringing a productive resume to the NFL with 56 tackles for loss and 39.5 sacks over his career. And playing next to FBS-prospects in St. Pete's, he didn't look out of place with the quickness and hand strength to defeat blocks and find his way to the ballcarrier. Bass has room to refine his pass rush moves to be more effective, but he flashed in practice why he was able to be so productive in college. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

Good find, JJ... looks like a potential bigger Dane Fletcher type kid... that could prob stick on the edge.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

In response to mcboyd22's comment:

I like his talent/upside for sure, look forward to seeing what he can do.

I really like Armstead and think he can be a real contributor to this team. Looking foward to seeing what he can do for this team, but with that said I don't think we can just say that DT isn't a need this year because we have him. But he certainly has the potential to solve a need there.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

MB, good player that I like a good bit in the mid rounds. If we don't address a WR in the first two rounds, then I'd like to see a potential double dip at the WR position in the mid rounds (assuming we potentially acquire another mid round pick or two). I think Chris Harper and Tavarres King would be a real good combo in the 3rd-5th round range.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

Does anyone have any clue if we are in line for any compensation picks this year? I know it's a pretty complicated formula that depends on a number of things including contract size/performance as well as how many FA you lose/bring in.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

On Kiper's ne mock he has the Pats taking Elam, the Safety from Florida (a good pick), but even more interestingly, he has John Jenkins going 2 picks later to San Fran. I would LOVE to see him in Pats blue next year! I think he and VW would be the best DT combo in the league. McShay has him going only a couple of spots earlier to the Packers.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to jgallag1's comment:

On Kiper's ne mock he has the Pats taking Elam, the Safety from Florida (a good pick), but even more interestingly, he has John Jenkins going 2 picks later to San Fran. I would LOVE to see him in Pats blue next year! I think he and VW would be the best DT combo in the league. McShay has him going only a couple of spots earlier to the Packers.

Only Kiper would pick a safety over a DT. I'd much rather have Jenkins but Elam wouldn't be a bad secon choice if a DT wasn't available

Sections
Shortcuts