***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

Gotta admit, KSU WR Chris Harper (a kid that Ricky and others are high on) is really growing on my as a Day 3 (maybe late Day 2 if he runs well).

Maybe it was watching Anquan Boldin use his size, hands and competitiveness to make plays during Baltimore's Super Bowl run... but this is the player that Harper reminds me of.

Harper hasn't doesn't appear to have NFL deep speed on tape (looks like a 4.5 - 4.6 kid, IMO), but I love that he's a hands catcher; he demonstrates good ball skills, and is a bull after the catch, showing solid RAC ability.  Should also be a weapon in the redzone with is ability to shield defenders with his size.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

The only reason I would want to pick up a TE is to keep them away from other teams. However, I do not think another TE would make the Pats a better team. They have passed the point of diminishing returns on TE.

The thought of putting Hern at slot concerns me. I do not think he can be as reliable as WW. As some have mentioned, he drops balls at a higher rate - significantly. In the slot, he would also be catching a lot of balls in traffic. I don't like that. He's shown alligator arms in that situation, and I believe he's given up more than a couple of pick sixes this way already. Add in the fumbles, and it's hard to see how he can even be close to being as effective as Wes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Gotta admit, KSU WR Chris Harper (a kid that Ricky and others are high on) is really growing on my as a Day 3 (maybe late Day 2 if he runs well).

Maybe it was watching Anquan Boldin use his size, hands and competitiveness to make plays during Baltimore's Super Bowl run... but this is the player that Harper reminds me of.

Harper hasn't doesn't appear to have NFL deep speed on tape (looks like a 4.5 - 4.6 kid, IMO), but I love that he's a hands catcher; he demonstrates good ball skills, and is a bull after the catch, showing solid RAC ability.  Should also be a weapon in the redzone with is ability to shield defenders with his size.

I like Harper too. 

Interesting WR rankings on nfldraftscout

#15 Stills (rnd 3/4); #16 King; #17 Swope; #18 Harper; #19 Vernon

I don't mind the Pats picking up any one of them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nic1776. Show nic1776's posts

Hey mbeaulieu07

Kudos on your mock draft but it's baffling how you could completely omit one of the top SS in the draft. I’m talking about Jonathan Cyprien out of Florida International, same school that produced T.Y. Hilton of the Colts, Antwan Barnes of the Chargers and yes, our beloved Mike Lowell of the Bosox. Cyprien has been flying under the radar for a while but he was a total beast at the Senior Bowl, considered by most scouts not only as the best Safety around but also as the best overall defensive player in Mobile. Eagles, Steelers, Lions, etc are drooling over this guy.. Matt Elam from Florida may come from a bigger school and better competition but Cyprien has more intangibles and due to the knock on his college background, he'll have a chip on his shoulder during the combine and during his NFL career. The  guy is a tackling machine, built like an army, an on field vocal leader (see his draft reviews) and better yet, he's got a tough yet“controllably”nasty-South Florida-in your face swagger about him that the Patriots desperately need in their secondary and overall defense. We need to toughen up our team a bit more and this is the type of guy to get it done. He could be the next Rodney Harrison. I hope the Pats take him and from my end, I suggest you revise your board after checking this draft riser! 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to nic1776's comment:

Hey mbeaulieu07

Kudos on your mock draft but it's baffling how you could completely omit one of the top SS in the draft. I’m talking about Jonathan Cyprien out of Florida International, same school that produced T.Y. Hilton of the Colts, Antwan Barnes of the Chargers and yes, our beloved Mike Lowell of the Bosox. Cyprien has been flying under the radar for a while but he was a total beast at the Senior Bowl, considered by most scouts not only as the best Safety around but also as the best overall defensive player in Mobile. Eagles, Steelers, Lions, etc are drooling over this guy.. Matt Elam from Florida may come from a bigger school and better competition but Cyprien has more intangibles and due to the knock on his college background, he'll have a chip on his shoulder during the combine and during his NFL career. The  guy is a tackling machine, built like an army, an on field vocal leader (see his draft reviews) and better yet, he's got a tough yet“controllably”nasty-South Florida-in your face swagger about him that the Patriots desperately need in their secondary and overall defense. We need to toughen up our team a bit more and this is the type of guy to get it done. He could be the next Rodney Harrison. I hope the Pats take him and from my end, I suggest you revise your board after checking this draft riser! 

nic,

You need to get yourself caught up, because it's well documented that I'm one of the biggest proponents of Cyprien on here... even referring to him as my "must have non-Rd1 defensive player". 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Any chance Armond Armstead is a solution for more QB pressure - allowing us more draft and free agency flexibility?

Haven't heard a lot of comments on this guy -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PZjbbph7O-g

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

People here are talking about getting 'studs' and not just serviceable players in the draft. I know with the rookie scale high picks are no longer the liability they used to be and that kills some of BB's strategy of always trading back, but ...

With a pick late in the first round vs. say a mid second and mid third what do you guys think are the odds of a 'stud' in that scenario.

Just seems to me that picks of say #1-20 (minus QBs) are maybe 80% stud probability. Picks 25 - 32 that probably drops to closer to 50%. picks 40 - 60 maybe 35% 70-80 maybe 30%.

My percentages are all relative so if I have overstated across the board it would still lead to the same conclusion. A 'stud' hit rate would still be better with the 2 later picks than with the single first rounder.

So on draft day, if I am BB, if one of my top 20 picks drops to 29 I take him. If not, I try to get the mid second and mid third rounder for my #29.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Always looking for some players in later rounds: (David Bass 6'4"  263) a DIV-II player looks the part dominating his competition. OLB/DE Speaking of the Shrine Game, we spoke glowingly of Missouri Western defender David Bass during our coverage of practice. Recent word has the 260-pound Bass running the forty in the mid 4.6’s during workouts. If he runs that fast at the combine his stock will rise as teams will give him consideration as both a 3-4 outside linebacker as well as a 4-3 defensive end.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6741

Name: David Bass

College: Missouri Western

Number: 91

Height: 6-4 Weight: 263

Position: DE Pos2:

Class/Draft Year: Sr/2013

40 Low: 4.62 40 Time: 4.73 40 High: 4.85

Projected Round: 5

Stock: Rated number 16 out of 211 DE's

01/18/13 - 2013 SHRINE GAME PRACTICE RISERS: 7. DE David Bass, Missouri Western State (6036, 263 -- East Team)...Bass dominated the Division-II ranks, bringing a productive resume to the NFL with 56 tackles for loss and 39.5 sacks over his career. And playing next to FBS-prospects in St. Pete's, he didn't look out of place with the quickness and hand strength to defeat blocks and find his way to the ballcarrier. Bass has room to refine his pass rush moves to be more effective, but he flashed in practice why he was able to be so productive in college. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

People here are talking about getting 'studs' and not just serviceable players in the draft. I know with the rookie scale high picks are no longer the liability they used to be and that kills some of BB's strategy of always trading back, but ...

With a pick late in the first round vs. say a mid second and mid third what do you guys think are the odds of a 'stud' in that scenario.

Just seems to me that picks of say #1-20 (minus QBs) are maybe 80% stud probability. Picks 25 - 32 that probably drops to closer to 50%. picks 40 - 60 maybe 35% 70-80 maybe 30%.

My percentages are all relative so if I have overstated across the board it would still lead to the same conclusion. A 'stud' hit rate would still be better with the 2 later picks than with the single first rounder.

So on draft day, if I am BB, if one of my top 20 picks drops to 29 I take him. If not, I try to get the mid second and mid third rounder for my #29.

I think it's easy for people to say, "draft studs" and while history has proven that you can find very good talent in every round (i.e. TB or Dick Sherman or Marques Colston, etc.), the later you are in the draft, the less likely you are to find impact talent (as we all know).  We can credit the personnel types that drafted these late round gems all we want, but in all reality, if they KNEWthe player was that good, they wouldn't have waited so long to take them.

I think most fans would/should be pretty stoked if BB were able to pull (2) good/very good starters out of this draft class.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mcboyd22's comment:

Any chance Armond Armstead is a solution for more QB pressure - allowing us more draft and free agency flexibility?

I like his talent/upside for sure, look forward to seeing what he can do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Always looking for some players in later rounds: (David Bass 6'4"  263) a DIV-II player looks the part dominating his competition. OLB/DE Speaking of the Shrine Game, we spoke glowingly of Missouri Western defender David Bass during our coverage of practice. Recent word has the 260-pound Bass running the forty in the mid 4.6’s during workouts. If he runs that fast at the combine his stock will rise as teams will give him consideration as both a 3-4 outside linebacker as well as a 4-3 defensive end.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6741

Name: David Bass

College: Missouri Western

Number: 91

Height: 6-4 Weight: 263

Position: DE Pos2:

Class/Draft Year: Sr/2013

40 Low: 4.62 40 Time: 4.73 40 High: 4.85

Projected Round: 5

Stock: Rated number 16 out of 211 DE's

01/18/13 - 2013 SHRINE GAME PRACTICE RISERS: 7. DE David Bass, Missouri Western State (6036, 263 -- East Team)...Bass dominated the Division-II ranks, bringing a productive resume to the NFL with 56 tackles for loss and 39.5 sacks over his career. And playing next to FBS-prospects in St. Pete's, he didn't look out of place with the quickness and hand strength to defeat blocks and find his way to the ballcarrier. Bass has room to refine his pass rush moves to be more effective, but he flashed in practice why he was able to be so productive in college. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

Good find, JJ... looks like a potential bigger Dane Fletcher type kid... that could prob stick on the edge.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

In response to mcboyd22's comment:

I like his talent/upside for sure, look forward to seeing what he can do.

I really like Armstead and think he can be a real contributor to this team. Looking foward to seeing what he can do for this team, but with that said I don't think we can just say that DT isn't a need this year because we have him. But he certainly has the potential to solve a need there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

MB, good player that I like a good bit in the mid rounds. If we don't address a WR in the first two rounds, then I'd like to see a potential double dip at the WR position in the mid rounds (assuming we potentially acquire another mid round pick or two). I think Chris Harper and Tavarres King would be a real good combo in the 3rd-5th round range.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

Does anyone have any clue if we are in line for any compensation picks this year? I know it's a pretty complicated formula that depends on a number of things including contract size/performance as well as how many FA you lose/bring in.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

On Kiper's ne mock he has the Pats taking Elam, the Safety from Florida (a good pick), but even more interestingly, he has John Jenkins going 2 picks later to San Fran. I would LOVE to see him in Pats blue next year! I think he and VW would be the best DT combo in the league. McShay has him going only a couple of spots earlier to the Packers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to jgallag1's comment:

On Kiper's ne mock he has the Pats taking Elam, the Safety from Florida (a good pick), but even more interestingly, he has John Jenkins going 2 picks later to San Fran. I would LOVE to see him in Pats blue next year! I think he and VW would be the best DT combo in the league. McShay has him going only a couple of spots earlier to the Packers.

Only Kiper would pick a safety over a DT. I'd much rather have Jenkins but Elam wouldn't be a bad secon choice if a DT wasn't available

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Keeping with the late round themes here are some Safeties that might get a look in the 7th or FA.  They all had decent production and special teams ability.  The back end of the roster is always in flux and looking fro improvement.

1. Javon Harris, S, Oklahoma
      Height: 5-11. Weight: 206.
      Projected 40 Time: 4.60.
      Projected Round (2013): 7-FA.

1/31/13: Harris totaled 86 tackles, 2.5 tackles for a loss, five passes broken up and six interceptions in 2012. One pick was returned 46 yards for a touchdown against Texas Tech. He is a sleeper prospect who could rise up the rankings.

9/2/12: Harris started last season with a big game against Florida State, but he gave up some plays in conference play during 2011. The first-year starter had 47 tackles with three interceptions and two forced fumbles. Harris needs to make strides as a senior.

12/09/12 - 2012 ALL-BIG 12 HONORABLE MENTION (MEDIA): Defensive back: Javon Harris, Oklahoma, has been selected Honorable Mention All-Big 12 Conference (Media selection) for the 2012 college football season. - Oklahoma football

Vaughn Telemaque, FS, Miami
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 211.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.59.
    Projected Round (2013): 7-FA.

1/31/13: Telemaque had 20 tackles and a forced fumble in 2012. He did not play well against Kansas State in Week 2.

9/2/12: Ray Ray Armstrong received more publicity, but Telemaque is a pro prospect in his own right. He has a nice combination of size and speed. Telemaque totaled 58 tackles with seven passes broken up and three interceptions in 2010. He also forced a fumble and recovered three fumbles.

Telemaque didn't play as well last season, nor did the junior stand out while Armstrong was suspended for five games. Telemaque had 59 tackles with one interception in 2011.

12/12/12 - 2012 COACHES ALL-ACC FOOTBALL HONORABLE MENTION: S-Vaughn Telemaque, Sr.-R, Miami (4), has been selected Honorable Mention All-Atlantic Coast Conference (Coaches selection) for the 2012 college football season. This year, for the first time under the auspices of the ACC, the league's 12 head football coaches voted for an All-ACC football team. - Miami football

1. Ohrian Johnson, S, Ohio State
      Height: 6-3. Weight: 210.
      Projected 40 Time: 4.62.
      Projected Round (2013): FA.

1/31/13: Johnson collected 39 tackles, two interceptions, seven passes broken up and one blocked kick in 2012.

9/2/12: Johnson had 32 tackles with three interceptions last season. He had 50 tackles with an interception and two forced fumbles in 2010. Johnson has to force his way onto the field and produce in order to get drafted.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013S.php

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Updated Big 40:

Rd 1

DT- Jesse Williams

S- Matt Elam

DT- John Hankins

OG- Jonathan Cooper

DT- Sylvester Williams

WR- DeAndre Hopkins

Rd 1-2

CB- Logan Ryan

CB- Desmond Trufant

CB- Jordan Poyer

CB- Xavier Rhodes

DT- John Jenkins

OL- Barrett Jones

Rd 2

S- Jon Cyprien

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine

WR- Quinton Patton

C/OG- Travis Frederick

WR- Robert Woods

Rd 2-3

CB- Jamar Taylor

WR/PR- Ace Sanders

WR- Stedman Bailey

LB- Kiko Alonso

WR- Markus Wheaton

Rd 3

DE/OLB- Lavar Edwards

S- Josh Evans

CB- Darius Slay

S- Bacarri Rambo

S- Shawn Williams

DE/OLB- Michael Buchanan

WR- Ryan Swope

OG- Brian Winters

Rd 4-7

WR- Conner Vernon

S- Zeke Motta

DL- Quinton Dial

DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore

DE/OLB- Devin Taylor

TE- Travis Kelce

S- Cooper Taylor

RB- Spencer Ware

WR- TJ Moe

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to sportslover21's comment:

Does anyone have any clue if we are in line for any compensation picks this year? I know it's a pretty complicated formula that depends on a number of things including contract size/performance as well as how many FA you lose/bring in.

There is an article at http://bloggingthebeast.com/2013/01/27/2013-nfl-compensatory-pick-projections/

Doesn't look like the Patriots will get anything, but again this is not official.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from geek. Show geek's posts

The draft value chart says we could trade pick 29 to the team picking about in the middle of the second and third rounds.  That would be San Diego, St. Louis, Dallas, Pittsburgh, maybe Miami and Tampa.  Not SD; St. Louis?  They could pick a WR first, then be looking for a QB.  Is Dallas inclined to move up?  I bet Pittsburg is not.

Or we could trade to teams for round 2 and 4 players, KC, Philadelphia, and Arizona.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nic1776. Show nic1776's posts

In response to nic1776's comment:

Hey mbeaulieu07

nic,

You need to get yourself caught up, because it's well documented that I'm one of the biggest proponents of Cyprien on here... even referring to him as my "must have non-Rd1 defensive player". 

mbeaulieu07,

Glad we're on the same boat.. I see he's on your new top 40.. I hope Pat's mgt go after this kid.. He'll bring a much needed "intimidating" presence to our secondary.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

With the draft being so shallow at QB, I really see Mallett being a potentially big trade piece this year. I know that seems fairly obvious, but what is his value this year as opposed to the other top QB prospects available via trade (ie Flynn) or the guys in the draft like Geno or Barkley?

I think he'd be one of the top two or three QB's taken this year even with the character issues in college, and I'd say Flynn might be the only guy available that would be more attractive to teams than him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In response to jgallag1's comment:

With the draft being so shallow at QB, I really see Mallett being a potentially big trade piece this year. I know that seems fairly obvious, but what is his value this year as opposed to the other top QB prospects available via trade (ie Flynn) or the guys in the draft like Geno or Barkley?

I think he'd be one of the top two or three QB's taken this year even with the character issues in college, and I'd say Flynn might be the only guy available that would be more attractive to teams than him.

Flynn and Alex Smith are the two 'hottest' available trade guys as they both have some live NFL experience - they are both in the 7M/yr range for salary I believe, so a team like the Jets might have a problem with cap space vs. a rookie or Mallet who would be considerably cheaper. Mallet really has no real NFL tape so he is similar to a rookie and he is maybe 'old news' compared to the draft guys - you would be going on his college rep in terms of leadership, etc. The rumor is Cleveland might be hot for him, but ... who knows. And what would they be willing to pay?

Sections
Shortcuts