***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

Belichick is playing with Brian Kelly in this weekend's Pebble Beach National Pro-Am... hopefully laying the foundation for the South Bend to Foxboro pipeline!

we can only hope :)

get abck to you on you query. gotta run.

peace

Def something I'd love to see... not a bad thing that he's plugged in with (3) of the best programs in the country (Bama, OSU, ND)!

Sounds good, lates man.

specially with what nd has next year (and years thereafter if kelly is there).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'm adding South Carolina's DJ Swearinger (5-11 210) to my short list of S options for the 2013 class.

He fits the profile of a what most are looking for... good sized kid, tone setter that can/will deliver the knock out, but also displays very good ability as a tackler in the open field... should excel down in the box, but also has the ability to hold up in coverage.

I'm projecting him in Rd 3 and will be adding him to my Big 40. 

All the S on my board possess that physical, aggressive type demeanor on the field:

Rd 1- Matt Elam

Rd 1/2- Jon Cyprien

Rd 3- Josh Evans, DJ Swearinger, Shawn Williams

Rd 4-7- Zeke Motta, Cooper Taylor

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Belichick is playing with Brian Kelly in this weekend's Pebble Beach National Pro-Am... hopefully laying the foundation for the South Bend to Foxboro pipeline!

peace

Def something I'd love to see... not a bad thing that he's plugged in with (3) of the best programs in the country (Bama, OSU, ND)!

Sounds good, lates man.

Some def Day 1 talent on the horizon with DL- Stephon Tuitt and DT Louis Nix to go along wth projected Day 2 kids in OLB Prince Shembo, CB Bennett Jackson, OT Zack Martin.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

peace

Sounds good, lates man.

Some def Day 1 talent on the horizon with DL- Stephon Tuitt and DT Louis Nix to go along wth projected Day 2 kids in OLB Prince Shembo, CB Bennett Jackson, OT Zack Martin.

i know where to go for the evals. nix at teh top of that list talentwise?

order of nd players youd most like on pats?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

peace

Sounds good, lates man.

Tuitt is their top overall prospect... Richar Seymour type size/skill set/talent.

Based on that list, I'd rank them in order of want:  Tuitt, Nix, Jackson, Shembo, Martin.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

peace

Sounds good, lates man.

Tuitt is their top overall prospect... Richar Seymour type size/skill set/talent.

Based on that list, I'd rank them in order of want:  Tuitt, Nix, Jackson, Shembo, Martin.

is tuit going to be a top 5 player (out of reach)?

ive heard people say pats should trade brady for the # 1 pick after the draft order is estab. next year for clowney.

i want manziel or eqivelent.

bruce smith didnt win a championship for the bills

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

3 takeaways from National Signing Day:

1.  ND has set themselves up for the long term, with an excellent class (Top 3 in most publications) loaded with OL, RB, LB and DB talent.

2.  I think parents should let a kid decide where he wants to go, vs. trying to force a kid's future (Alex Collins' mother is an example... check this story out:  http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/02/06/3220454/mother-of-former-miami-hurricanes.html

3.  The clock has started for Ole Miss to be brought up on major NCAA recruiting violations.  I'm sorry, but when you're a relative bottom feeder SEC team and all of a sudden pull in a Top 5 class (including Top WR Laquon Treadwell posting the following pic:  http://www.tnsportsradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/808419_original.jpg) the red flags are obvious.  If I'm wrong, I'll apologize.

re # 3, this is a quick reaction and inmaking that kind of claim, i feel it would have been better to look deeper first (even if thats in back of mind). ie investigate that in all the cases of the top players, there were tie ins that made ole miss sigining a possibility. ie #1 signee brother of player on the team. you can beign to see this by simply reading the espn articles on the ole miss signings. 

It's not a quick reaction, it's thinking realistically... they haven't been good and can't recruit on reputation, because they haven't been good... so Hugh Freeze (who's going into his 2nd season after moving over from Arkansas St) is either the best recruiter in the nation or there's something else going on... I lean towards the latter.  I get it that Nkemdiche's broski plays for Ole Miss, unfortunately that rationale/reasoning doesn't apply to the rest of the class. 

I follow recruiting very closely, year round and don't need ESPN's articles to tell me what I can see with my own eyes. 

i realize you can think, it seems to me you are reacting. you can add information to "seeing with your eyes" (i am not guranteeing either its legit reasons or its not legit). 

Nkemdiche's bro is not the only player who had reason to sign there. the top 3 or 4, i may forget the #, all had tie ins to ole miss. information is not an enemy. not being open to info, reveals a bias or prejudice. 

i too get the question, why do they want to sign there? but im willing to look at the details and info.

You have a well documented SEC bias, what's my bias on the topic?

What are these tie ins that you keep referring to?  What info am I ignoring?

Laremy Tunsil was the #1 OT (according to ESPN) nationally and they were able to pull him out of Florida?  What's his tie in?

Laquon Treadwell was the #1 WR nationally and played his HS ball in IL, what's the tie in there?  He's also the kid that posted a pic on the web of him with a wad of $100 bills, but that prob means nothing.

Austin Golson was the #3 OT nationally and they were able to pull him out of Alabama?  What's his tie in?

Antonio Conner was the #2 S nationally, he's a MS kid with elite offers and Ole Miss has no history of being able to pull in elite kids, what's his tie in?

hey mb here goes.

first my initial thoughts were like everyone else, what are they doing to get those guys

2nd, i am a sec hound. does not mean i cannot be objective (i know few on this borad seem to have the ability). if it were a team in anther division suddenly making a big splash i woudl be curious as well why. then i would look into it and see what there was if any information on why (as opposed to making up my mind and not caring what info is out there). same thing i did re the teo situation.

from what i remember on the top 4 recruits

top player in country, brother goes there.

next guy, his best friend plays for them and wanted to play with him on the same team

juco guy signed 2 years ago before he was a huge talent. he kept his committment.

4th player's family wanted him to stay in state.

thats what i remember.

now whether all the top programs in the country pay out 10k for siginings neither of us know.

nor if its more rare or no longer an occurrence.

so i cannot gurantee what the sit is. i don't know that any fan who likes this development, nor the ones that dont, have any way to know.

frankly id rather they all go to florida or at least the top 4 sec schools, so its no prefernce of mine they went to ole miss(other than i can be happy for ole miss). 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Not sure who mention him, maybe MB, but here is an in-depth article with video on Blidi Wreh-Wilson.  They have him a 3rd round corner. The video shows very strong coverage skills, good closing speed, good run support, not elite.  I see him with some reaction challenges but he makes it up with his length.  Depending how FA goes the Pats should consider him. He could challenge the #2 corner and maybe push Dowling to S.  (Long Article but good)

http://www.pigskinheaven.com/content.php/1188-Blidi-Wreh-Wilson

Blidi Wreh-Wilson Could be Great Press Corner

by Peter Smith Published on 02-08-2013 07:00 AM  

In 2009, the Connecticut Husky program announced themselves in a big way to the draft world when running back Donald Brown was selected in the first round and cornerback Darius Butler was picked in the second. In the 2013 draft, the Huskies hope to have similar success with Sio Moore and Blidi Wreh-Wilson. Wilson is hoping to follow in the footsteps of Darius Butler in terms of where he will be picked in the draft while having more success at the next level. Wilson offers an unorthodox skill set that is still in development, but he goes all out in run support even if it does not always yield great results and has the make plays in coverage that few others can. Wilson has potential at the next level both in his ability to develop physically and improve his skill set by adding press coverage to the tools at his disposable and that skill set could get him drafted in the third or fourth round based in addition to the tape has produced.

Wilson measured 6’5/8” 192lbs at the Senior Bowl. He is lean and could stand to add more muscle, but has enough muscle to contribute. Wilson has incredibly long arms at 32.5", the longest of any defensive back at the Senior Bowl. Wilson has solid feet and hips and moves well in coverage. His speed appears average and might be slightly problematic for some teams, but it should not be a huge concern. He has significant potential to continue adding strength to his frame.

When it comes to tackling, Wilson gives effort, but is incredibly inconsistent. Usually, the problem he runs into is he will tackle too high. He does a good job using his arm and wrapping up, but ends up tackling up around the shoulders and falls off. When he breaks down and attacks at the belt buckle like he should, he looks pretty good and will flash some solid, form tackles. Wilson is not afraid to take on ball carriers, but he does need to continue improving his technique and consistency as a tackler. He is definitely at his best when he comes up and attacks the ball carrier, but his length certainly proves an advantage when it comes to reaching on tackles laterally.

Against the run, Wilson flashes some habits and abilities that make him incredibly attractive to teams, but needs to be more consistent when it comes to paying off tackles. The one thing that stands out with Wilson is his willingness to take on a blocker, regardless of how big they are. So many defensive backs want to go around opposing linemen to try to make a tackle and often times end up with a terrible angle on the ball carrier, missing the tackle and did not occupy the blocker, being a detriment to the team. Wilson does his job, goes low and takes out them out of the play so his teammates can make the tackle. This is an admirable quality for a corner that teams will love to see. At this point, it is difficult to put Wilson out on an island as a corner who can consistently make tackles, but he did play the strong side corner consistently at Connecticut, so he if he can improve and be reliable, that is where he could end up at the next level.

The same fearlessness and willingness to attack in the run game shows up when Wilson comes on the blitz and he shows the ability to be effective off the edge. His size proves an advantage as quarterbacks have to throw around him and his long arms as well. He has shown the ability to hit the quarterback with some decent power, attack with explosiveness and accelerate off the edge quickly.

As a cover corner, Wilson’s lack of elite speed ends up being a small concern. The reason is because his height and length with his arms allow him to make up a ton of ground without having the top end speed shorter corners need. He has demonstrated the ability for stretching his body and reaching out and breaking up passes other players would simply have no chance to deflect. Wilson’s long arms also show their value when it comes to intercepting balls. He does need to continue working to refine his ball skills and be more confident to be able to capitalize on opportunities to create turnovers. Wilson is at his best in man coverage and does not give up a ton of space in coverage to opposing receivers, which makes his length all that more a pain for opposing teams to avoid. He does not appear to be as comfortable playing in zone. This is possibly due to lack of experience there, but he seems far more comfortable playing in off man coverage. Wilson has also showed the ability to match up in the slot, which might work to ease some concerns with how fluid an athlete he is.

There is one thing that is confusing with Wilson; press coverage. Wilson profiles as someone who should press and should excel in press coverage because of his long arms and size. Wilson has been lined up right up on receivers where it would be natural to press receivers and did not press the receiver off the snap. He just played straight man, basically kept his arms at his side and played his guy as if he was ten to fifteen yards down the field. There is no clear answer to this at this point. It is possible that the coaches at Connecticut taught him and he simply does not do it when presented with the opportunity. It is also possible they do not teach press, so he has not been exposed to it in their system.

In the NFL, press coverage seems like a great fit for Wilson and an area he should spend a substantial amount of time developing. In a copycat league, it would not be surprising to see teams emulate the idea the Seahawks used with bigger, more physical corners. It seems like a given that Jacksonville will go this route with Gus Bradley as their new head coach, since he was formerly the Seahawks defensive coordinator. Watching Wilson, this seemed like the best way for him to maximize his ability as a corner. He can play off man and if he becomes more consistent as a tackler, should be a good fit as a strong side corner and #2 corner who can come up and make plays in the run game. Wilson has the ability to function in zone, but needs to get more experience and get more comfortable in that set up to take advantage of his size. There is also a possibility Wilson could end up as a free safety at some point in his career because of his size. The question is whether that will be right out of the shoot or if he will have a productive career and then move to free safety as a second act. His role in the NFL initially could be as general depth at corner and safety before coming up as a starter in one of those positions. It seems that he would come in and push another corner inside to play on the outside in nickel, but it is possible he could play the slot.

Wilson’s path to the NFL could end up similar to that of former Stanford Cardinal Richard Sherman who currently plays for the Seattle Seahawks. Sherman had an unorthodox skill set for the position that did not really jump out to anyone after his college career. Sherman went in the fifth round and was passed over several times even by the coach who had him at Stanford, Jim Harbaugh. The Seahawks have found the best way to utilize Sherman in their scheme and he has become one of the best corners in the NFL. Now, that is an incredibly difficult hill for Blidi Wreh-Wilson to climb, but his unique skill set could result in a huge steal on the third day of the draft for the team that fits him and can develop his talent.

Blidi Wreh-Wilson has a nice set of tools to bring to the NFL, even if they do not fit into the normal box of a corner. He does it differently, but his willingness to contribute with the run, his potential in press, and those long arms in coverage make him an intriguing prospect. He did not have a good showing at the Senior Bowl. His style of corner typically does not show all that well in those types of venues and work better in a team style format. Nevertheless, teams will have to decide how much of an issue this is for Wilson. And while it would be a surprise if Wilson came out and did really well at the combine, he does need to make sure he performs in the average range of corners or he could risk dropping. Overall, Wilson is not going to be for everyone, but there are teams that will like what he does and appreciate the talent he has the opportunity to develop him and his film warrants someone who should be picked in the third or fourth round.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Only 10 days to the NFL Combine!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Most of you prob don't wanna hear this, but Ace Sanders, the (5-8 175) WR from South Carolina may be the best fit for NE based on what we know BB values in the position.

Simply, his quicks, COD, suddenness are unparalleled in this class and he may have he best RAC ability of any available receiver.  Now the kids size isn't ideal and I know that most (me included) would like some additional size added to the WR corps... but if you're looking to add the big play element, both as a WR and PR man, you'd be hard pressed to find a kid that would give you more of it than Ace. 

He's on my short list of Rd 3 options at this point.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Most of you prob don't wanna hear this, but Ace Sanders, the (5-8 175) WR from South Carolina may be the best fit for NE based on what we know BB values in the position.

Simply, his quicks, COD, suddenness are unparalleled in this class and he may have he best RAC ability of any available receiver.  Now the kids size isn't ideal and I know that most (me included) would like some additional size added to the WR corps... but if you're looking to add the big play element, both as a WR and PR man, you'd be hard pressed to find a kid that would give you more of it than Ace. 

No more midgets!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

mb, great thread.

Out of curiosity, of the safeties in the draft who would fill our need, who do you like the most?

Vaccaro? Elam? Swearinger? Cyprien?

I doubt Vaccaro will still be on the board at #29.

I like what I see from Elam.. very physical, has good range. My concern with him (not very rational) is that he sounds a lot like Brandon Meriweather. 

I'm a big Michigan fan so I saw the Outback bowl and was VERY impressed with Swearinger. Physical, brings a swagger to a defense -- he was talking trash the whole game.

Cyprien seems interesting. Haven't seen enough of him to feel too confident... he looks a bit slow at times, doesn't seem to have the burst of an Elam.

Your thoughts?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

No more midgets!

Yeah, forget about whether or not the kid can play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

mb, great thread.

Out of curiosity, of the safeties in the draft who would fill our need, who do you like the most?

Vaccaro? Elam? Swearinger? Cyprien?

I doubt Vaccaro will still be on the board at #29.

I like what I see from Elam.. very physical, has good range. My concern with him (not very rational) is that he sounds a lot like Brandon Meriweather. 

I'm a big Michigan fan so I saw the Outback bowl and was VERY impressed with Swearinger. Physical, brings a swagger to a defense -- he was talking trash the whole game.

Cyprien seems interesting. Haven't seen enough of him to feel too confident... he looks a bit slow at times, doesn't seem to have the burst of an Elam.

Your thoughts?

Thanks, Dre... a lot of solider posters on here.

Vaccaro is generally rated the top S in this class due to his size and coverage ability and while I think he's gone by 29, I'd be pretty psyched to land either him or Elam in Rd 1... followed by Cyprien/Josh Evans/Swearinger/Shawn Williams, etc. on day 2.

Agreed with Swearinger, love the swagger/attitude, def something the secondary could use.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

rather keep the pipeline from the SEC. We saw what that ND pipeline looked like last month when 'Bama put the smack down on them, and gave them a mercy TD. ND had their shot thanks to the media and won't be back again for sometime. Big time high schoolers aren't go to ND anymore. they going to SEC, Big 10, Big 12, ACC 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

rather keep the pipeline from the SEC. We saw what that ND pipeline looked like last month when 'Bama put the smack down on them, and gave them a mercy TD. ND had their shot thanks to the media and won't be back again for sometime. Big time high schoolers aren't go to ND anymore. they going to SEC, Big 10, Big 12, ACC 

You must not follow recruiting very closely. Not to mention ND is now aligned with the ACC... while they're still considered "independent", they'll now play (5) ACC teams automatically each season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Aaron Dobson? is this kid a great fit? in the second or third?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

I have a 2nd-3rd round grade.  He should be there when the PATs pick in the 2nd round.  I could see BB taking a WR in the 2nd.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

PATS

Welcom to the thread.  Not a lot of tape out there on the kid, so I'd have to go based on what I read in scouting reports.  He has the size that a lot of fans are looking for, but doesn't appear to be the quick twitch type kid that BB generally targets... though he does move well for a big WR.  I can give you a better opinion once I'm able to see him.

I do think, or atleast hope that BB will target a WR at some point in this draft and Dobson looks like Day 2 kid with some upside at this point.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

PATS

Welcom to the thread.  Not a lot of tape out there on the kid, so I'd have to go based on what I read in scouting reports.  He has the size that a lot of fans are looking for, but doesn't appear to be the quick twitch type kid that BB generally targets... though he does move well for a big WR.  I can give you a better opinion once I'm able to see him.

I do think, or atleast hope that BB will target a WR at some point in this draft and Dobson looks like Day 2 kid with some upside at this point.

Thank you dude!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

I have a 2nd-3rd round grade.  He should be there when the PATs pick in the 2nd round.  I could see BB taking a WR in the 2nd.

me too, with a pass rusher or cb in rd 1

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

seems ive seen a lto of talk on here that trufant woudl be good to pats in rd 1.

iv eread he plays way off on receivers

and natl f p has him wiht  a 4.91 grade i notie today 18th rated cb to them.

duke williams, milliner, banks then rhodes at teh top

draft scout does have him 3rd thoughl;

millne, rhodes then trufant, banks, logan

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

me too, with a pass rusher or cb in rd 1

Bred, I am leaning S, WR, DE/OLB or DT, it would be a dream if Vaccaro dropped. (I am assuming we keep Talib and Vollmer)  What I don't know is how many QBs will be taken.  If teams overdrafted for QBs we could see some talent fall unexpectedly.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

The site below shows the averages for positions selected during the first round:

http://www.draftboardguru.com/

Not a bad way to check your own first round mock to see how it compares.