***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1st round S/DT/DE/CB...2th WR later rounds OL

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Curious if the return man is already on our team in Jeff Demps - do we save a 3rd round choice (Ace Sanders) and perhaps take a larger wide receiver....

I've also become a big John Simon fan after watching some of his tape - looks like a Pats type player, especially if he could be had later on day 2.

Thoughts?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

seems ive seen a lto of talk on here that trufant woudl be good to pats in rd 1.

iv eread he plays way off on receivers

and natl f p has him wiht  a 4.91 grade i notie today 18th rated cb to them.

duke williams, milliner, banks then rhodes at teh top

draft scout does have him 3rd thoughl;

millne, rhodes then trufant, banks, logan

The one certainty you'll find when evaluating NFL talent is that opinions can vary greatly across the board.  This is one reason why I prefer to research a player myself vs. basing my opinion strictly on a sites evaluation.

I have Trufant rated as a Rd 1/2 talent, believe he'll be off the board somewhere in the top 40-50 with def Rd 1 upside.

He's an aggressive kid, plays with some swagger, has good hips/fluidity and is one of the better pure cover guys in this class.  Not the most solid of tacklers, but does not shy away from contact.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mcboyd22's comment:

Curious if the return man is already on our team in Jeff Demps - do we save a 3rd round choice (Ace Sanders) and perhaps take a larger wide receiver....

I've also become a big John Simon fan after watching some of his tape - looks like a Pats type player, especially if he could be had later on day 2.

Thoughts?

I think the hope is that Demps can impact as a KR, but I don't believe he recorded a single PR during his time in Gainesville.

Love Simon's motor/aggression, but he's definitely lacking in the height department, measuring in under 6-2 (6014) at the Senior Bowl... though he has some decent length in his arms (32 3/4)... by comparison, Nink is 6-3+.

Curious to see how well he moves at the combine during LB drills.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

seems ive seen a lto of talk on here that trufant woudl be good to pats in rd 1.

Unless there is another Duke Williams, he's a SS for Nevada. I did not notice him, when they played Arizona in their Bowl game, but his highlight youtube seems to show a pretty good and speedy tackler who is also decent on defending those long passes. Based on his youtube alone, he looks worthy of a higher rating that draft scout's round 5/6. I might like him above Lester, just because he looks faster. The combine will confirm that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Unless there is another Duke Williams, he's a SS for Nevada. I did not notice him, when they played Arizona in their Bowl game, but his highlight youtube seems to show a pretty good and speedy tackler who is also decent on defending those long passes. Based on his youtube alone, he looks worthy of a higher rating that draft scout's round 5/6. I might like him above Lester, just because he looks faster. The combine will confirm that.

BTW, Nevada's secondary looked bad on that Bowl game. Arizona rallied back from a big deficit, if I recall correctly.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

The one certainty you'll find when evaluating NFL talent is that opinions can vary greatly across the board.  This is one reason why I prefer to research a player myself vs. basing my opinion strictly on a sites evaluation.

I have Trufant rated as a Rd 1/2 talent, believe he'll be off the board somewhere in the top 40-50 with def Rd 1 upside.

He's an aggressive kid, plays with some swagger, has good hips/fluidity and is one of the better pure cover guys in this class.  Not the most solid of tacklers, but does not shy away from contact.

I agree on your methodology.  The guy I like for 2nd-3rd rounds after watchng tape is Tharold Simon, CB LSU.  I believe he was on your list, MB.  I want see his straight line speed.  His tape shows tha ability to cover close but also recover, but I wonder what would happen if he were up against a speester .  Great length, played good competition, but tested positive for marijuana.  Depending on combine results, I see a second round talent on tape, but know a 3rd-4th for the suspension, similiar to Hernandez. 

Mock sites are all over the place on certain players again tape doesn't lie.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

It could be argued that the majority of contributors here would strongly consider the Pats drafting a DL in the first round...providing that we get good value at that pick. Questions continue to be raised about the potential contributions of CFL DL Armond Armstead, a surprising late season acquisition.

So what are the positives about Armstead?  As a USC 2008 recruit he was considered a 4-star acquision having been rated the 10th best football player in California as well as the 10 best DL nationally.  Much was expected of this 6'4", 287lb wonder.

Armond saw only sporatic PT in his freshman and sophomore seasons but started to flash in his junior year. His quickness at both DE and DT seemed to justify his recruitment and suggested potential stardom.  His untimely heart attack changed his future when doctors banned him from football.  His heart attack was later blamed on medical doctors injecting him with Toradol, a pain killer. He was not drafted by the NFL for similar concerns.

Armstead was signed in the CFL a year later and restarted his football career.  Having risen to the distinction of an ALL-STAR as a DL he drew the attention of teams in the NFL.  Statistically his performance could only be considered AVERAGE but he appeared to be both athletic and fast when compared to his peers.  He appeared to be operating at a higher gear but what could be his NFL position?  His 6'4" size and excellent reach along with 287lb weight suggested DE yet his speed in the 40 (5.0+) was too slow for the NFL where speeds of 4.7 are considered desireable.

No, the Pats interest in Armstead was as a situational inside pass rusher where his 5.0 forty speed would be considered fast relative to the OL he would face.  Already having demonstrated a quick first step and excellent lateral movement he could be expected to penetrate. His 6'4" frame and excellent reach along with very  admirable jumping ability could block passing lanes ala Watt. He could supply the missing element in passing situations.  As such, his ceiling could be considerable.

Armstead appeared "fast" in college and the CFL as a DE because the level of competition did not compare with the NFL. His statistics in college and the CFL did not indicate dominance.  Yet he did show improvement and flashes of what could be a higher ceiling.  As such he was signed with about as much promise as a 7th round draft choice that could make the grade.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

I agree on your methodology.  The guy I like for 2nd-3rd rounds after watchng tape is Tharold Simon, CB LSU.  I believe he was on your list, MB.  I want see his straight line speed.  His tape shows tha ability to cover close but also recover, but I wonder what would happen if he were up against a speester .  Great length, played good competition, but tested positive for marijuana.  Depending on combine results, I see a second round talent on tape, but know a 3rd-4th for the suspension, similiar to Hernandez. 

Mock sites are all over the place on certain players again tape doesn't lie.

I don't have Simon on my current Big 40, but am considering him, along with UConn's Dwayne Gratz as bigger CB's that are just on the cusp.  Kid def has intriguing height, length, ball skills and pedigree.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to moskk's comment:

It could be argued that the majority of contributors here would strongly consider the Pats drafting a DL in the first round...providing that we get good value at that pick. Questions continue to be raised about the potential contributions of CFL DL Armond Armstead, a surprising late season acquisition.

So what are the positives about Armstead?  As a USC 2008 recruit he was considered a 4-star acquision having been rated the 10th best football player in California as well as the 10 best DL nationally.  Much was expected of this 6'4", 287lb wonder.

Armond saw only sporatic PT in his freshman and sophomore seasons but started to flash in his junior year. His quickness at both DE and DT seemed to justify his recruitment and suggested potential stardom.  His untimely heart attack changed his future when doctors banned him from football.  His heart attack was later blamed on medical doctors injecting him with Toradol, a pain killer. He was not drafted by the NFL for similar concerns.

Armstead was signed in the CFL a year later and restarted his football career.  Having risen to the distinction of an ALL-STAR as a DL he drew the attention of teams in the NFL.  Statistically his performance could only be considered AVERAGE but he appeared to be both athletic and fast when compared to his peers.  He appeared to be operating at a higher gear but what could be his NFL position?  His 6'4" size and excellent reach along with 287lb weight suggested DE yet his speed in the 40 (5.0+) was too slow for the NFL where speeds of 4.7 are considered desireable.

No, the Pats interest in Armstead was as a situational inside pass rusher where his 5.0 forty speed would be considered fast relative to the OL he would face.  Already having demonstrated a quick first step and excellent lateral movement he could be expected to penetrate. His 6'4" frame and excellent reach along with very  admirable jumping ability could block passing lanes ala Watt. He could supply the missing element in passing situations.  As such, his ceiling could be considerable.

Armstead appeared "fast" in college and the CFL as a DE because the level of competition did not compare with the NFL. His statistics in college and the CFL did not indicate dominance.  Yet he did show improvement and flashes of what could be a higher ceiling.  As such he was signed with about as much promise as a 7th round draft choice that could make the grade.

The thing I'm consistently cautioning people against, when it comes to Armstead, is that he never lived up to his potential in college. He showed flashes but it didn't look like the effort was always there. Now things could have change, admittedly didn't watch him in the CFL, but the Pats among a number of teams worked him out last April as a potential UDFA. Even with the heart attack many teams would be willing to take a red shirt year on a 4 star kid unless there were other concerns, such as on field effort, work ethic, and aquired moves beyond physical dominance. The Pats clearly decided that Forston was a better option then Amstead and the Pats are one of the teams who have in the past taken red shirt kids with high upside just to stash them for next year. If what they saw wasn't enough and they wanted to see what he had after another year then it was more then just health concerns involved. Now I see him as a camp body and potential Pryor/Deadrick replacement but until he proves what he has against top NFL talent I don't consider him a solution to any problem. The other telling thing is the contract he signs barely puts him in the top 51 contract territory so if he doesn't even qualify for the top 53 at the end of camp he can be released during camp with no penalities. If he has the potential most believe he does then I'd have to believe he'd get a better offer from another team with more space to take the hit. There is just to much out there that says to me they view him as nothing more then a high upside talent type of player who help remove enough red flags to warrent a look in camp. But, BB doesn't streak me as a person who puts all his eggs into one basket and to me will still target DL early in the draft or FA and if Amstead works out then great we built tremendous depth at little cost, if he doesn't then you weren't counting on him to begin with so no issues.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Could Johnathan banks come to the 29th pick?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

I think he could be available, yes.  His positives are his size, ball skills and versatility (could prob play both CB and S at the NFL level), while on the negative side, he's not the physical player that his size would indicate and that he'll need some work in off/zone coverage.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

I think he could be available, yes.  His positives are his size, ball skills and versatility (could prob play both CB and S at the NFL level), while on the negative side, he's not the physical player that his size would indicate and that he'll need some work in off/zone coverage.

if we have Banks, Elam, Rhodes and Trufant avaible in the 29th who would you select?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

if we have Banks, Elam, Rhodes and Trufant avaible in the 29th who would you select?

I'm on Elam under this scenario.  There's good depth at both S and CB in this class, but he's rated the highest on my board.

Of my Big 40, I have Logan Ryan as my #1 CB, followed by Trufant, Poyer and Rhodes.  Rhodes is an intriguing kid based on his ability in press and would prob have him higher if we knew that BB was looking to go that route... I just think Ryan, Trufant and Poyer project better to what NE likes to do today, which is more zone/off, etc.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

I'm on Elam under this scenario.  There's good depth at both S and CB in this class, but he's rated the highest on my board.

Of my Big 40, I have Logan Ryan as my #1 CB, followed by Trufant, Poyer and Rhodes.  Rhodes is an intriguing kid based on his ability in press and would prob have him higher if we knew that BB was looking to go that rought... I just think Ryan Trufant and Poyer project better to what NE likes to do today, which is more zone/off, etc.

goog points

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

The thing I'm consistently cautioning people against, when it comes to Armstead, is that he never lived up to his potential in college. He showed flashes but it didn't look like the effort was always there. Now things could have change, admittedly didn't watch him in the CFL, but the Pats among a number of teams worked him out last April as a potential UDFA. Even with the heart attack many teams would be willing to take a red shirt year on a 4 star kid unless there were other concerns, such as on field effort, work ethic, and aquired moves beyond physical dominance. The Pats clearly decided that Forston was a better option then Amstead and the Pats are one of the teams who have in the past taken red shirt kids with high upside just to stash them for next year. If what they saw wasn't enough and they wanted to see what he had after another year then it was more then just health concerns involved. Now I see him as a camp body and potential Pryor/Deadrick replacement but until he proves what he has against top NFL talent I don't consider him a solution to any problem. The other telling thing is the contract he signs barely puts him in the top 51 contract territory so if he doesn't even qualify for the top 53 at the end of camp he can be released during camp with no penalities. If he has the potential most believe he does then I'd have to believe he'd get a better offer from another team with more space to take the hit. There is just to much out there that says to me they view him as nothing more then a high upside talent type of player who help remove enough red flags to warrent a look in camp. But, BB doesn't streak me as a person who puts all his eggs into one basket and to me will still target DL early in the draft or FA and if Amstead works out then great we built tremendous depth at little cost, if he doesn't then you weren't counting on him to begin with so no issues.

The bottom line is that the acquisition of Armond Armstead should not influence our drafting priorities.  His level of predictability as to a successful NFL transition remains low.  Had his performance statistics at college and in the CFL been remarkable by showing a high degree of dominance one  might feel otherwise.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Belichick is playing with Brian Kelly in this weekend's Pebble Beach National Pro-Am... hopefully laying the foundation for the South Bend to Foxboro pipeline!

we can only hope :)

get abck to you on you query. gotta run.

peace

Def something I'd love to see... not a bad thing that he's plugged in with (3) of the best programs in the country (Bama, OSU, ND)!

Sounds good, lates man.

specially with what nd has next year (and years thereafter if kelly is there).

Some def Day 1 talent on the horizon with DL- Stephon Tuitt and DT Louis Nix to go along wth projected Day 2 kids in OLB Prince Shembo, CB Bennett Jackson, OT Zack Martin.

i know where to go for the evals. nix at teh top of that list talentwise?

order of nd players youd most like on pats?

Tuitt is their top overall prospect... Richar Seymour type size/skill set/talent.

Based on that list, I'd rank them in order of want:  Tuitt, Nix, Jackson, Shembo, Martin.

is tuit going to be a top 5 player (out of reach)?

ive heard people say pats should trade brady for the # 1 pick after the draft order is estab. next year for clowney.

i want manziel or eqivelent.

bruce smith didnt win a championship for the bills

Tuitt has Top 5 potential, should at least be Top 10-15.

I hadn't heard that Brady for the top pick rumor, where did you hear that?  In today's media world, it wouldn't surprise me as anyone with a computer can have a blog and through trade/thoughts ideas out there, I'm just not sure if there's any merit to it... I also think a team would be out of their mind to do so with young, potential franchise kids like Bridgewater and Manziel out there.

Teddy Bridgewater is another QB to watch out for next year... kid's the real deal.

Bruce Smith didn't win championships for the bills, but Jim Kelly didn't either so that the argument goes both ways.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

The bottom line is that the acquisition of Armond Armstead should not influence our drafting priorities.  His level of predictability as to a successful NFL transition remains low.  Had his performance statistics at college and in the CFL been remarkable by showing a high degree of dominance one  might feel otherwise.  

I think most would agree.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Interesting mock draft from Daniel Jeremiah on NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts/daniel-jeremiah/165100

Has Hankins falling all the way to us. Now I think this guy has smoked way to much to think Hankins falling to #29 is it even possible? If so would you even entertain offers for the pick or be breaking arms of anyone in the way to turn in the pick the moment #28 is chosen?

Myself, there would be many broken arms. I'd rather have Richardson as I think he'd fill the need better (interior rusher) but Hankins would be a nice addition more so then the other DT's we've been discussing (Jenkins, Floyd, both Williams, Short)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Belichick is playing with Brian Kelly in this weekend's Pebble Beach National Pro-Am... hopefully laying the foundation for the South Bend to Foxboro pipeline!

we can only hope :)

get abck to you on you query. gotta run.

peace

Def something I'd love to see... not a bad thing that he's plugged in with (3) of the best programs in the country (Bama, OSU, ND)!

Sounds good, lates man.

specially with what nd has next year (and years thereafter if kelly is there).

Some def Day 1 talent on the horizon with DL- Stephon Tuitt and DT Louis Nix to go along wth projected Day 2 kids in OLB Prince Shembo, CB Bennett Jackson, OT Zack Martin.

i know where to go for the evals. nix at teh top of that list talentwise?

order of nd players youd most like on pats?

Tuitt is their top overall prospect... Richar Seymour type size/skill set/talent.

Based on that list, I'd rank them in order of want:  Tuitt, Nix, Jackson, Shembo, Martin.

is tuit going to be a top 5 player (out of reach)?

ive heard people say pats should trade brady for the # 1 pick after the draft order is estab. next year for clowney.

i want manziel or eqivelent.

bruce smith didnt win a championship for the bills

Tuitt has Top 5 potential, should at least be Top 10-15.

I hadn't heard that Brady for the top pick rumor, where did you hear that?  In today's media world, it wouldn't surprise me as anyone with a computer can have a blog and through trade/thoughts ideas out there, I'm just not sure if there's any merit to it... I also think a team would be out of their mind to do so with young, potential franchise kids like Bridgewater and Manziel out there.

Teddy Bridgewater is another QB to watch out for next year... kid's the real deal.

Bruce Smith didn't win championships for the bills, but Jim Kelly didn't either so that the argument goes both ways.

hey man,
    not a rumor, just talk.

my point re clowney was him wihtout a top qb might not bring a championship.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Of my Big 40, I have Logan Ryan as my #1 CB, followed by Trufant, Poyer and Rhodes.  Rhodes is an intriguing kid based on his ability in press and would prob have him higher if we knew that BB was looking to go that route... I just think Ryan, Trufant and Poyer project better to what NE likes to do today, which is more zone/off, etc.

wit htalib on the field, bb played more man press with he and dennard. going that way woudl make our de better i feel.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

wit htalib on the field, bb played more man press with he and dennard. going that way woudl make our de better i feel.

yeah, and if we can pressure QBs our DB will look better

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Aaron Dobson? is this kid a great fit? in the second or third?

I have a 2nd-3rd round grade.  He should be there when the PATs pick in the 2nd round.  I could see BB taking a WR in the 2nd.

me too, with a pass rusher or cb in rd 1

Bred, I am leaning S, WR, DE/OLB or DT, it would be a dream if Vaccaro dropped. (I am assuming we keep Talib and Vollmer)  What I don't know is how many QBs will be taken.  If teams overdrafted for QBs we could see some talent fall unexpectedly.

jj,

re

"If teams overdrafted for QBs we could see some talent fall unexpectedly."

hear ya, ive been saying and hoping same since the thread opened.

with fewer picks i dotn seee safety inmproving the team as top cb, pass rusher, wr.

i do like vaccaro.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

I have a 2nd-3rd round grade.  He should be there when the PATs pick in the 2nd round.  I could see BB taking a WR in the 2nd.

Bred, I am leaning S, WR, DE/OLB or DT, it would be a dream if Vaccaro dropped. (I am assuming we keep Talib and Vollmer)  What I don't know is how many QBs will be taken.  If teams overdrafted for QBs we could see some talent fall unexpectedly.

jj,

re

with fewer picks i dotn seee safety inmproving the team as top cb, pass rusher, wr.

i do like vaccaro.

if the kid isn`t avaible who would u pick?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

jj,

re

i do like vaccaro.

if the kid isn`t avaible who would u pick?

are you talking overall or at safety.

i try to get a psss rusher in fa, and safety if possible. byrd goldson. restructure brady, fork, mankins

in rd1 1, if i have a pass rusher im looking top cb, ie rhodes (along with keeping talib) dennard and dowling for 3 and 4 cb, providing dennard stays out of jail.

if no pass ruhser in fa, im looking pass rusher ansah, jordan, detone jones, carradine, okafor or floyd /syl williams