***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Interesting mock draft from Daniel Jeremiah on NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts/daniel-jeremiah/165100

Has Hankins falling all the way to us. Now I think this guy has smoked way to much to think Hankins falling to #29 is it even possible? If so would you even entertain offers for the pick or be breaking arms of anyone in the way to turn in the pick the moment #28 is chosen?

Myself, there would be many broken arms. I'd rather have Richardson as I think he'd fill the need better (interior rusher) but Hankins would be a nice addition more so then the other DT's we've been discussing (Jenkins, Floyd, both Williams, Short)

Certainly not a guarantee that he'd be there, but I do think it's possible.

I agree that it would be pretty tough to pass on him if he's available and you know BB will get the inside scoop from Urban/Vrabel.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Has Hankins falling all the way to us. Now I think this guy has smoked way to much to think Hankins falling to #29 is it even possible? If so would you even entertain offers for the pick or be breaking arms of anyone in the way to turn in the pick the moment #28 is chosen?

Myself, there would be many broken arms. I'd rather have Richardson as I think he'd fill the need better (interior rusher) but Hankins would be a nice addition more so then the other DT's we've been discussing (Jenkins, Floyd, both Williams, Short)

I agree that it would be pretty tough to pass on him if he's available and you know BB will get the inside scoop from Urban/Vrabel.

Jeremiah is actually a pretty well respected guy in the media circles. Spent years as a scout for CLE, PHI and BAL. This is his first year at NFLN. He has a refreshing view on players. His mock is also indicative of his own evaluations and what he hears from the league, so while it might not be in line with other mocks at this point, it is pretty unfair to say it isn't possible that Hankins won't fall to 29. Is it likely? No. But definitely possible, in a deep DL draft, and if things fall right on draft day.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

Could Johnathan banks come to the 29th pick?

I think he could be available, yes.  His positives are his size, ball skills and versatility (could prob play both CB and S at the NFL level), while on the negative side, he's not the physical player that his size would indicate and that he'll need some work in off/zone coverage.

if we have Banks, Elam, Rhodes and Trufant avaible in the 29th who would you select?

I'm on Elam under this scenario.  There's good depth at both S and CB in this class, but he's rated the highest on my board.

Of my Big 40, I have Logan Ryan as my #1 CB, followed by Trufant, Poyer and Rhodes.  Rhodes is an intriguing kid based on his ability in press and would prob have him higher if we knew that BB was looking to go that route... I just think Ryan, Trufant and Poyer project better to what NE likes to do today, which is more zone/off, etc.

wit htalib on the field, bb played more man press with he and dennard. going that way woudl make our de better i feel.

yeah, and if we can pressure QBs our DB will look better

Personally, I have Rhodes then Banks then Trufant at CB. But they are all pretty close and all guys I could see with the Patriots for any number of reasons. If Rhodes is there at 29, I'd love for him to be the pick. Can play press-man effectively, but also is comfortable in zone. For a player his size at cornerback, he has pretty damn good athleticism. He has good long speed, and has pretty good COD/quickness.

With or without Talib, I'd love for us to add Rhodes if he is there (obviously depending on what else is on the board, and what we do in FA). But Talib and Rhodes at CB would make for two pretty special man coverage CBs, throw Dennard in the slot, with McCourty and Gregory/Wilson at safety and you have a pretty good staple of DBs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

and the problematic kid Tyrann Mathieu this kid appear talented but... too many off field issues

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Just a note on Armstead - his first year is guaranteed money not something that back end draft picks get, so there is a little more 'commitment' from the team. And I don't think his medical issues were 'resolved' in time for any NFL team to even take a look at him last year - not aware of any. So comparison to other UFAs is a little unfair.

All that said - no, the Pats aren't seeing him as a savior, but have committed more to him than they will to their 7th round picks this year or to any of the futures contracts they signed in the last month.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In response to mia76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The guaranteed first year of Armstead's 3 year contract was for a modest $405,000.  It will give the Patriots a year to gauge Armonds ability to

!. Gain 15-20lbs of muscle to better compete against larger OL without sacrificing his quick first step, lateral mobility etc.

2. Learn more sophisticated and varied rushing techniques

3. Compete against NFL talent, strength, football IQ and determine if he has the motor and endurance, commitment to succeed

4. Determine if his skill set fits the Patriots needs

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to sportslover21's comment:

Could Johnathan banks come to the 29th pick?

I think he could be available, yes.  His positives are his size, ball skills and versatility (could prob play both CB and S at the NFL level), while on the negative side, he's not the physical player that his size would indicate and that he'll need some work in off/zone coverage.

if we have Banks, Elam, Rhodes and Trufant avaible in the 29th who would you select?

I'm on Elam under this scenario.  There's good depth at both S and CB in this class, but he's rated the highest on my board.

Of my Big 40, I have Logan Ryan as my #1 CB, followed by Trufant, Poyer and Rhodes.  Rhodes is an intriguing kid based on his ability in press and would prob have him higher if we knew that BB was looking to go that route... I just think Ryan, Trufant and Poyer project better to what NE likes to do today, which is more zone/off, etc.

wit htalib on the field, bb played more man press with he and dennard. going that way woudl make our de better i feel.

yeah, and if we can pressure QBs our DB will look better

Personally, I have Rhodes then Banks then Trufant at CB. But they are all pretty close and all guys I could see with the Patriots for any number of reasons. If Rhodes is there at 29, I'd love for him to be the pick. Can play press-man effectively, but also is comfortable in zone. For a player his size at cornerback, he has pretty damn good athleticism. He has good long speed, and has pretty good COD/quickness.

With or without Talib, I'd love for us to add Rhodes if he is there (obviously depending on what else is on the board, and what we do in FA). But Talib and Rhodes at CB would make for two pretty special man coverage CBs, throw Dennard in the slot, with McCourty and Gregory/Wilson at safety and you have a pretty good staple of DBs.

"With or without Talib, I'd love for us to add Rhodes if he is there (obviously depending on what else is on the board, and what we do in FA). But Talib and Rhodes at CB would make for two pretty special man coverage CBs, "

hey man,

ive been posting this thought for several weeks here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

holy crap, nfp new mock has ansah going at #2. what are you trying to do with my pats pick man!

better than werner?

drop werner to 29 and id be fine with that :)

they drop (draft) all my guys well before the pats, they give a good argument for taking hunt. a reach, but if he becomes jj watt lite it would be a good move!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

ourlads new mock also drops all my guys but vaccaro (31), (jones 32) early and give pats fluker rt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Jeremiah is actually a pretty well respected guy in the media circles. Spent years as a scout for CLE, PHI and BAL. This is his first year at NFLN. He has a refreshing view on players. His mock is also indicative of his own evaluations and what he hears from the league, so while it might not be in line with other mocks at this point, it is pretty unfair to say it isn't possible that Hankins won't fall to 29. Is it likely? No. But definitely possible, in a deep DL draft, and if things fall right on draft day.

Though I inferred I don't think it was possible there still is the possibility which is why I asked the question. I didn't know Jeremiah was a former scout but I'd like to hear why he think Hankins would drop so much. From everything I hear he's one of the top 3 DT's in the draft and a clear teir above S Williams and Short who he has going before Hankins. Like I said I'd love for it to happen I just don't see it happening unless he completely blows it at the combine or pro-day

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

holy crap, nfp new mock has ansah going at #2. what are you trying to do with my pats pick man!

better than werner?

they drop (draft) all my guys well before the pats, they give a good argument for taking hunt. a reach, but if he becomes jj watt lite it would be a good move!

Major reach for Hunt and Ziggy.  But you know they will blow up the combine and at least Hunt will go higher.  He would be a solid late 2nd rd pick for NE.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

Though I inferred I don't think it was possible there still is the possibility which is why I asked the question. I didn't know Jeremiah was a former scout but I'd like to hear why he think Hankins would drop so much. From everything I hear he's one of the top 3 DT's in the draft and a clear teir above S Williams and Short who he has going before Hankins. Like I said I'd love for it to happen I just don't see it happening unless he completely blows it at the combine or pro-day

I see where you are coming from. I don't think Hankins will fall at this point either, but I think it is pretty interesting considering he is a former scout and bases his evaluations off what he hears from the league + what he sees himself on tape.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

better than werner?

To me, mentioning Margus Hunt in the same sentence is an absolute crime. I had Watt as a Top 5 player in the class he came out. I'd be pretty pissed if we took Hunt anywhere in the first 3 rounds much less in the first round.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

I find it comical on CBS Sports, both analysts have the Chiefs taking Geno Smith - come on?

That would be a huge stretch - anyone really believe it might happen? Take Joekel, then draft a QB - even Barkley would be better than Cassell, and I was pulling for him. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I see where you are coming from. I don't think Hankins will fall at this point either, but I think it is pretty interesting considering he is a former scout and bases his evaluations off what he hears from the league + what he sees himself on tape.

I believe it boils down to the mocker's perception of the type of DT that each team is seeking. 

My opinion based purely on my observations from watching 2 OSU games, 2 Purdue games, 1 FLA game and 1 mizzou + Senior Bowl: Hankins is big and strong but I find his style a bit on the sluggish side as opposed to the more explosive. He may be capable of explosivenes, but in the games I saw, I thought his natural tendency was to be that way. Could well be a function of where he's asked to line up or what he's asked to do (more classic NT vs DT). Short, Richardson, Floyd, on the other hand, all showed explosive ability to shoot through to the backfield. You can argue that every one has questions about consistency achieving that but you can tell that these three are more wired to make their way through. 

Perhaps this Jeremiah guy thinks the teams looking for interior men are looking for the shooting type more than the anchor type (If that's the case, I like that he's making a distinction. Sometimes I think most people just look at interior men the same way). 

Peronally, I want the Pats to get the type who can do both well (like Ngata, when playing alongside another big body, or even VW as he's shown once in a while), but Star is the only one I see to be that. It's possible that Jenkins can be that. He's big enough and shows every now and then to have the motor to shoot through. I am am also curious to see if B Williams can develop into that (very hard to evaluate becasue ow where he played, but seems to have the leg quickness and power; If he got a combine invite, he could be this year's Poe).

BTW, Rang at CBSsports thinks Star does not get picked until NYJ. I would not like that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:

i like hunt until i found out he is 25 years old. a raw 21-22 year old is one thing, a raw 25 year old is another.

I think this is a fair point, Ricky... granted the kid is new to the game and his mileage is relatively low, but he is a long ways away from being a consistent contributor, IMO.

Rd 3 is the earliest I'd touch him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

better than werner?

To me, mentioning Margus Hunt in the same sentence is an absolute crime. I had Watt as a Top 5 player in the class he came out. I'd be pretty pissed if we took Hunt anywhere in the first 3 rounds much less in the first round.

think results. if we get a player projected in rd 7 in rd 1 and they turn into an elite pro thats all that woudl matter to me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

How about Tyrann Mathieu I know he is a trouble guy but this kid has a lot of talent, could he be a steal in later rounds?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

How about Tyrann Mathieu I know he is a trouble guy but this kid has a lot of talent, could he be a steal in later rounds?

I'd take a chance on the honey badger

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

better than werner?

think results. if we get a player projected in rd 7 in rd 1 and they turn into an elite pro thats all that woudl matter to me.

How many projected (near draft day) 7th rounders get taken in Rd 1 and also become elite players?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

better than werner?

How many projected (near draft day) 7th rounders get taken in Rd 1 and also become elite players?

no much...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

better than werner?

it was not a literal staement mb. im guessing you could figure that out.  the sentence was to state that it doesnt matter to me how high or how low a guy is picked compared to the pick being as good as  or better a player than the talent expected for the pick. if hunt is a star and dominates at some point and we pick him in rd 1 when many see him as a rd 3 or worse, i dont care.

by the way, the literal answer to your question is tom brady (though a round off). and the place does not matter, get the right one ala brady.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Bedard Would (also) let Lloyd walk (i brought this possibility up as a move if necessary to save cap); reiss recently wrote about it; now bedard)

only he lets welker, vollmer and lloyd walk too.

though he tries to sign talib (i sign or tag)

of all the pieces needed in fa and draft, he and i differ only at one possition, adding a top pass rusher which i put at priority 1. he doesnt address at all.

otherwise he has, wr/cb in rd 1, wr. cb in rd 2 (i have both of these IF WE get a pss rusher in fa, which is my preference [otherwise i go pass rsuher in rd 1 and cb/wr in rd 2 adn 3]), and offensive tackle in rd 3 (since he lets volmer go).

for free agents he has stretch the field x receiver as #1 priorty (i have as tied for #2 priority after pass rusher).he says get the best one on the market (AND draft one in rd 1 or 2).

FA'S followed by rac z receiver, cb, and dl

he starts wilson at strong safety  saying you dont draft a guy at 48 to be a nickel back (to which i reply, it dosnt matter where you draft him , it matters how good he is. if he aint good enough, you need a better safety).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Most of you prob don't wanna hear this, but Ace Sanders, the (5-8 175) WR from South Carolina may be the best fit for NE based on what we know BB values in the position.

Simply, his quicks, COD, suddenness are unparalleled in this class and he may have he best RAC ability of any available receiver.  Now the kids size isn't ideal and I know that most (me included) would like some additional size added to the WR corps... but if you're looking to add the big play element, both as a WR and PR man, you'd be hard pressed to find a kid that would give you more of it than Ace. 

He's on my short list of Rd 3 options at this point.

You're right I don't want to hear it lol. Looking at this kid I see Demps and say if Demps has decent hands wouldn't he play a similiar position and give you ability?

Sections
Shortcuts