***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

Anyone else watch Keenen Allen highlights and feel like they were watching Aaron Hernandez?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Only looked at a very few players so far but 1st one to jump out is Deandre Hopkins.

Top WR on my board and he's a def a thread favorite.... love his combo of size and movement ability... kid is clutch and is also proven against very good comp.  He tempts me in Rd 1, though I still prefer they target D there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Only looked at a very few players so far but 1st one to jump out is Deandre Hopkins.

Top WR on my board and he's a def a thread favorite.... love his combo of size and movement ability... kid is clutch and is also proven against very good comp.  He tempts me in Rd 1, though I still prefer they target D there.

Agreed. I was thinking the same. Although I don't place high value on the position. If he was actually there at 29, depending on what else was there, he would be tempting.

All that being said... How many years have we been conversing about the draft here? 3 or more? Seems anytime we identify someone like this, by draft time others catchup or the player stands out at the combine and it's a non decision because they are long gone by the end of round 1.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

In response to sportslover21's comment:

In response to pumpsiefan's comment:

Here's a BB special that would put me in the grave...

they trade Mallet for a 2nd round pick and with their first take QB Matt Barkley.

I still haven't gotten over the Wilson pick last year. I know BB is just plotting another way to show what a genius he is and what morons we all are.

What exactly would be the point of trading your current backup for a 2nd? And taking an overrated, mediocre QB in Matt Barkley in the 1st?

Mallett won't be traded for less than a 1rst round pick.

Well top 50 I'd trade him for. There are a couple mid round QB's I'd take a look at and like but having 2 picks in the top 50 would warrent moving Mallett. Esp since the level of talent for CB's, WR's, and DT's is suppose to remain relatively high to about 50.

Well, I'd trade Mallett for a Top 50 pick as well. But the 2nd part (taking Barkley who is garbage in Round 1), was what made no sense.

If we get offered a Top 50 pick for Mallett, you have to take it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Agreed. I was thinking the same. Although I don't place high value on the position. If he was actually there at 29, depending on what else was there, he would be tempting.

All that being said... How many years have we been conversing about the draft here? 3 or more? Seems anytime we identify someone like this, by draft time others catchup or the player stands out at the combine and it's a non decision because they are long gone by the end of round 1.

I think this class has some pretty good depth at the perimeter skill positions (CB/S/WR), which benefits a team like NE who could use help at all three.

Believe this is the 3rd year that we've had the thread, but I agree, we've been pretty good at identifying talent early on... players that generally end up ranked/drafted a lot higher than originally projected.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Hopkins would be tempting in round 1, but as some have said, if a good DT is available, I am taking it. There is depth throughout this draft at WR, DT, and cb. Bb has to convert one of this first picks into multiples I think. 

Anyone like cordelle Patterson in the late 2nd? Like his size, speed combo and utility knife in the way of KR/pr/wr

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

In response to pumpsiefan's comment:

Here's a BB special that would put me in the grave...

they trade Mallet for a 2nd round pick and with their first take QB Matt Barkley.

I still haven't gotten over the Wilson pick last year. I know BB is just plotting another way to show what a genius he is and what morons we all are.

What exactly would be the point of trading your current backup for a 2nd? And taking an overrated, mediocre QB in Matt Barkley in the 1st?

Mallett won't be traded for less than a 1rst round pick.

Well top 50 I'd trade him for. There are a couple mid round QB's I'd take a look at and like but having 2 picks in the top 50 would warrent moving Mallett. Esp since the level of talent for CB's, WR's, and DT's is suppose to remain relatively high to about 50.

I haven't read anything about Mallet's developement as a QB.  The last item about him seemed to suggest that he was skilled on long passes but was struggling with play-action and the intermediate throws as well as recognition of defensive weaknesses...... and a bit slow on progression through 1st, 2nd, third option passes.  I'm sure that this information is dated..... Anyone have updated information?...practice performance?

Well, I'd trade Mallett for a Top 50 pick as well. But the 2nd part (taking Barkley who is garbage in Round 1), was what made no sense.

If we get offered a Top 50 pick for Mallett, you have to take it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Hopkins would be tempting in round 1, but as some have said, if a good DT is available, I am taking it. There is depth throughout this draft at WR, DT, and cb. Bb has to convert one of this first picks into multiples I think. 

Anyone like cordelle Patterson in the late 2nd? Like his size, speed combo and utility knife in the way of KR/pr/wr

I'd love Patterson in the late 2nd. But unfortunately for us, he will be going Top 15-20 in the Draft. Kid is a stud.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

Bottomline is, Ace has been more productive against better comp.  Don't know what you're using to quantify lower body strength (long speed?), but Ace is one of the quicker, more explosive stop/start players in the country, so he's clearly not lacking in that department.  I also disagree with you on the receiving skills piece... Sanders is able to consistently get open,  executes very well in the underneath area... catches the ball away from his body and gets up the field in a hurry and is a threat every time he touches the ball due to his quicks/RAC ability.  He's also been good in the redzone using a quick out or "7" route to quickly seperate.  As for the blocking part... Ace tends to go low, which makes sense due to his height and has been effective in that area, though like most young players (he's only a JR), he can use some work there... I haven't seen much of Goodwin as a blocker, outside of his one crackback block that popped a dudes helmet off, where he was flagged 15 yards.

Look, I see the value of a kid like Goodwin, a speed player with some upside and if he ends up in NE, I'll be pretty psyched, but you haven't really given any tangible reasons to why Ace can't succeed (I'd be surprised if he didn't) as a WR at the NFL level. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

there are no real tangible's when it comes to the draft and projecting players from college to the NFL. that's why 6th round picks become HOF'ers and top 10 picks bust.  college stats mean next to nothing, it's the INTANGIBLE's that mean the most. 

when i watch sanders i see a guy with the build of a scat back, and the skill set of a top notch PR and backup receiver/3rd down running back. he's more quick than he is fast, potential is strictly as a slot receiver. but what tangible evidence is there in his film that tells you he can last an entire NFL season in the slot while consistently having to work the middle of field? the film shows a finesse player who stays to the outside and only comes across the middle on drag routes. 

while i will admit goodwin hasn't proven that either, the difference IMO is that goodwin has potential to be a top 2 receiver and work on the outside. goodwin is more solidly built with a thicker lower body. you don't become an olympic long jumper without great lower body strength. if you watch some film you will see he is a very willing and aggressive blocker, great burst, great long speed, doesn't lose speed when locating the ball, is able to adjust to the ball and attack it in the air with great leaping ability. he was also the lead blocker for the KR unit.

in all 60 catches recorded by sanders i didn't see a single impressive reception that made me think he was special as a receiver. his yac ability is special, but his receiving skills? whole other story. i didn't see him take hits over the middle, i didn't see him make catches while getting hit, i didn't see him make any tough catches while fighting for the ball, i didn't see him show the ability to attack the ball in the air. 

i saw these things from goodwin... and in half as many touches. why was his production less? if you do some actual scouting and investigating you will learn that he missed all of the spring and summer practices and some of the fall practices and was never really implemented into the game plan as a main receiving threat. he wasn't used correctly at texas. how do i know? just look at the night and day improvements he showed at the senior bowl. 

so if we are judging by college stats then sure ace is the better player... landry jones is the best QB, stedman bailey is the best WR, kenjon barner is the best RB and tim tebow is the best QB prospect ever. but i'm judging by what i see and what i project. my eyes tell me goodwin is the better player, the odds tell me neither will ever become much of anything as receivers.

You mention intangibles as meaning the most, yet Tim Tebow has them in spades and will (or should) never be more than a backup QB at the NFL level, and I'm a person who likes him as a player (from his FLA days).  Sure they're important, I talk at length about character and competitiveness and kids who put in the time off the field watching film/preparing, but they too are just part of the scouting process.

Sanders and Goodwin are basically the same height/weight, we're talking 3/4 of an inch and maybe 5 pounds (guess we'll know for sure at the combine), both are muscular and compact so I don't know what relevance size has on the subject. 

Goodwin's tape consists mostly of end arounds, posts and fly patterns... don't see him doing a whole lot of damage over the middle, operating in traffic... did see him make a couple of nice catches along the sideline, keeping his feet in bounds, which was impressive.  I don't see a whole lot of him blocking on tape, but in checking out scouting reports, it doesn't appear to be the strength that you're making it out to be, instead it's listed as a weakness.

You can leave out the smart a$S comments about scouting and investigating as I do as much of that as anyone on here.

We can agree to disagree, my money is on Ace... though I'd take either.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I still think a trade back is very likely.

I see Patterson more as a Top 40-45 kid with Rd 1 upside.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

What's everyones favorite position to scout/follow?  It's safety, hands down for me... have always loved the physicality, intelligence and mindset that's generally valued/needed for the position.

As a kid I idolized Chuck Cecil due to his nastiness/brutality on the field... below is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT14rYHV8CQ

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

You mention intangibles as meaning the most, yet Tim Tebow has them in spades and will (or should) never be more than a backup QB at the NFL level, and I'm a person who likes him as a player (from his FLA days).  Sure they're important, I talk at length about character and competitiveness and kids who put in the time off the field watching film/preparing, but they too are just part of the scouting process.

Sanders and Goodwin are basically the same height/weight, we're talking 3/4 of an inch and maybe 5 pounds (guess we'll know for sure at the combine), both are muscular and compact so I don't know what relevance size has on the subject. 

Goodwin's tape consists mostly of end arounds, posts and fly patterns... don't see him doing a whole lot of damage over the middle, operating in traffic... did see him make a couple of nice catches along the sideline, keeping his feet in bounds, which was impressive.  I don't see a whole lot of him blocking on tape, but in checking out scouting reports, it doesn't appear to be the strength that you're making it out to be, instead it's listed as a weakness.

You can leave out the smart a$S comments about scouting and investigating as I do as much of that as anyone on here.

We can agree to disagree, my money is on Ace... though I'd take either.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tim tebow has intagibles as a football player, not a QB. he has a great work ethic, but doesn't have a brain to play QB. but he did put up the greatest stats of any college QB and against the best competition... which ended up meaning squat. 

yes, they are basically the same height/weight, but are built differently. what do you have Ace listed at? i've seen 5-7 175 and goodwin at 5-9 180. they've also got different skill sets and playing styles. to me, as i said previously, sanders is strictly a KR/KR in the NFL. his value is in his special teams and i would hate for NE to select a KR/PR in the top 3 rounds when they need a real receiver or atleast a guy they can develop into one. goodwin looks to have a skill set better suited for wide receiver and better suited for what NE needs, a deep threat. 

we shall see....

Goodwin was 5-8 3/4 - 179 at the Senior Bowl, Sanders is listed at 5-8 175... curious of his actuals... we should know in the next 7-10 days. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

good point

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

if we have a pass rusher in fa i go cb and wr in rd 1 and 2 can be intgerchangeable. in rd 3, could be anythign from o line, dt, cove rlb, safety, etc.

patterson does look good to me., some have him going in top 20. intermittant hands a bit.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

he was the first wr i began mentioing when chiming in

i saw 1 -2 or 3 wrs ahead of him, feelging we have a chance  fro top wr starting at him (and going down) and like his size and ability. 

i see several in this category. 

bigger the size, along with the speed, separation and hands is what im looking for.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I have seen various posters list positions of need as S, DT, WR, CB. Some also mentioned DE. 

No particular order above. In terms of FA, I think if you agree with the above positions of need, need to ask, what positions have the best FA's depth wise and which (ranked) typically get paid the highest? I would do the same exercise with the draft in terms of depth through round 3 specifically. 

seems like good depth at DT, WR and cb in this draft. There are a few good safeties, but I think the quality drops off considerably after round 2. Honestly, if we are looking for a starting safety, Matt Elam is the only kid I am looking at. If for depth, there are others. It will depend a ton on tavon Wilson...can he be a starter or more like a situational player? 

There are some good safeties available in FA, but will be costly. Same with DT like Melton and Starks. Cb as well. WR there are a few, but some we can pickup t reasonable cost like amendola or hartLine. Are they fits? Yes, but not elite if this is what we are looking for. 

Personally, if we let welker walk, I think we have to replace him with a vet. I am not confident in bb drafting here, nor the offensive learning curve For our systeM. On the DT position, I think we can draft here given the depth and draft someone who can compliment vw at a cheap price. At CB, Talib is going to cost . given his injuries, and question marks, I may not decide to pay him. However, given we have a young secondaey, are we forced to sign him for continuity purposes? If we don't sign him, I would,look to grab a cb high in this draft. If we go this route, I am paying for a certain safety and getting the best one out there.

so, in summary, how it pertains to FA and the draft...

1. Round 1...drafting Hankins, Richardson, jemkins at DT if available, if not, grabbing Rhodes at cb

2. Round 2... If Rhodes drafted round 1,  I grab kawaan short, floyd or Bennie logan...If not drafted, imam grabbing poyer, Trufant at cb.

3. Signing gholdson or Byrd to play safety. Delmas or Moore alternative.

4. Signing another WR If welker walks. Don't know who yet...maybe hartline, Bowe, jennings

5. Drafting WR in round 3...Swope, da'rick Rogers, others...depth and development, contributes some in year 1, but we are signing another WR in FA...

i share a lot in common with your thoughts and tryin gto rememebr who it was recently who suggested we needed dt most in offseaosn.

will try to respond to both here.

this defense even with good cbs is going to have problems winning a championship when we cannot conssitenly pressure the passer (in fact cant pressure the passer at all against a team liek balt).

after keeping talib,

pass rusher is the single most important need. a 2 gapper, even a great one isnt going to help jones or nink beat single teams (though jones is held a ton). gotta have pressure on qb not just a push back or hold / occupoy a couple guys.

on this note, bbs scheme i believe needs to change to catch up wotih the nfl. todasy need more peneatration, gettign up field.

without a consistent pass rush, i say fagetaboudit.

so # 1 i get the best rusherin fa i can with money available (freeney?)

this frees us up to go cb and wr in rd 1 and 2. necessary in order to get the studs we need. esp bb  

who is notorious for missing at cb and wr.

i believe i was the first on on the board in speaking up for rhodes

if hes there, i get him (if rhodes gone im open to switching wr and cb order depending on whos there, and who we can get). if rhodes witin a few, im open to using 2014 to move up.

and look at best wr avail in rd 2 (not afraid to trade up for my guy with 2104 picks).

preferably 6 2" 210 and up (with the speed and hands).

ideally we need a player like boldin and outside big man, but at least in draft we can get teh big man.

in rd 3, we have a list of needs and depending what we do in fa re our guys and other fa's we draft

o line, safety, dt, cover lb.

one of top pass rushers in draft drops near ie ansah, im for abandoning this and starting draft with that pick (even if moving up a bit)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

man i keep letting players go ive  picked early on, who fly forward in the draft and moving back in the draft to pick players who still may be availble (in the 100 top mocks), and each time teh players ive selected keep moving forward. (if this didnt represent nfl scouts big boards that woudl be awesome).

for example, im seeing rhodes as far as 6th pick today and floyd 10 (even detone jones, okafor, and syl willimas) not everyone has this but the trend of rhodes and floyd from outside of rd to far up into rd 1 is a trend that has occured with too many of the players ive picked who originally were seen by many mocks to be selected much lower earlier on. frustrating.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

interestignly rangs one of the few people i read to this day who does not have rhodes gone in rd 1 (while brugler has him at 13), and interestingly rang has jordan making it to 30 as well (brugler 15).......

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

The board seems to favor trading Mallett for a top 50 pick?  When originally drafted Mallett was presumably a first round talent with off-field issues and was considered a Patriot's steal.  Yes, he needed development but I've read very little about his progress. Does anyone have information about his development...as evidenced in practice (because he has seen little PT on the field)?

The last information I read about Mallett (and it was dated information) was that his effectiveness in long passes was very good but he struggled with the intermediate passes, with recognition of defensive vulnerabilities, with his progression though 1st, 2nd, 3rd passing options etc.

Wasn't Mallett the heir apparent to TB? Why the readiness to trade him for less than a first round pick?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to moskk's comment:

The board seems to favor trading Moffitt for a top 50 pick?  When originally drafted Moffitt was presumably a first round talent with off-field issues and was considered a Patriot's steal.  Yes, he needed development but I've read very little about his progress. Does anyone have information about his development...as evidenced in practice (because he has seen little PT on the field)?

The last information I read about Moffitt (and it was dated information) was that his effectiveness in long passes was very good but he struggled with the intermediate passes, with recognition of defensive vulnerabilities, with his progression though 1st, 2nd, 3rd passing options etc.

Wasn't Moffitt the heir apparent to TB? Why the readiness to trade him for less than a first round pick?

I'm assuming that you mean Mallett.  I don't think any of us really has any clue as to where he is at in his development.  The tools are clearly there, and he's been a model citizen since joining the Patriots, but he really is an unknown at this point.  I'm about 99% certain that he will remain in a Patriots jersey next season.  I really think that these Mallett trade rumors are pretty silly.  I think that if he really is developing and looking as good as we all hope that he is, then he will be worth more as a backup/successor than any draft pick compensation that we would receive for him this year.  Don't get your hopes up for Mallett to bring in any draft picks for us this year, IMO.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Random thought. This seems like a great year for BB to double up on talented WRs who may slide a bit due to position depth, similar to the Gronk/Hernandez double-up a few years ago.  If Welker walks (which I'm afraid he will) then we will have a huge need.  BB really needs to find a way to get a 4th or a 5th (or both) in this draft.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Random thought. This seems like a great year for BB to double up on talented WRs who may slide a bit due to position depth, similar to the Gronk/Hernandez double-up a few years ago.  If Welker walks (which I'm afraid he will) then we will have a huge need.  BB really needs to find a way to get a 4th or a 5th (or both) in this draft.

Agreed, I think it depends on how FA goes.  DL is deep also.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I too do not expect WW to be back, so I think multiple WR's could be a possibility (hopefully one via draft and one via FA)... also expect BB to maneuver a bit to pickup additional pick(s) on Day 2 and/or Day 3.

The FA WR that makes a ton of sense that no one really talks about is Rams WR Brandon Gibson, who'm McD should be very familiar with.  Turns 26 in August, decent size (6-0 205) and has a lot of what BB values in a WR, solid route runner, quick feet, good burst, hands catcher... he's not a burner, but provides some decent ability on the outside.  Interested to see what he could do with TB tossing him the football.  He's a FA and could be a most cap friendly option vs. the big name WR's like Bowe, Jennings and Wallace, etc.

Sections
Shortcuts