***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

Interesting thought mb. Gibson has been pretty productive in his short career. Decent size, but his speed is a concern for me. Saying he is not a burner is an understatement. Why would Philly decide to move him? I like him overall, but does he have too similar a skill set to Lloyd? Both outside wr's, both not fast, but both decent route runners and pass catchers. 

I would be interested in what his potential cost might be as compared to Bowe? Any thoughts here? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Interesting thought mb. Gibson has been pretty productive in his short career. Decent size, but his speed is a concern for me. Saying he is not a burner is an understatement. Why would Philly decide to move him? I like him overall, but does he have too similar a skill set to Lloyd? Both outside wr's, both not fast, but both decent route runners and pass catchers. 

I would be interested in what his potential cost might be as compared to Bowe? Any thoughts here? 

I'm sure STL will be interested in re-signing him, but he's not a Franchise worthy player and NE, IMO, would have to be a more desirable destination.

Lloyd is prob a fair comparison... while a burner on the outside would be great, I'm still wondering who that player is and what he'd cost... Mike Wallace?  He's gonna get paid... same with Dwayne Bowe I think.  Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to have Dwayne Bowe, but I don't think they'll fork over the dollars to land him.

The more cost effective way to land a deep threat would be to target one in the draft, IMO... though they're not exactly a dime a dozen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

interestignly rangs one of the few people i read to this day who does not have rhodes gone in rd 1 (while brugler has him at 13), and interestingly rang has jordan making it to 30 as well (brugler 15).......

Rhodes will last until pick #25, where he'll be selected by Pete Carroll... the rich getting richer at CB, ha.

No idea if that would actually happen, but that'd be some whacky size and ability at the CB position.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

Good stuff MB. In additon to Gibson, two other under-the-radar type WR could be Louis Murphy (CAR), played for OAK previously and went to Florida so that connectio is there too. He is a bigger-bodied guy and a good athlete. Another could be Kevin Ogletree from DAL.

I like the idea of double dipping on WR with a two-proned approch in FA and the Draft. This is a good year to do it too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

interestignly rangs one of the few people i read to this day who does not have rhodes gone in rd 1 (while brugler has him at 13), and interestingly rang has jordan making it to 30 as well (brugler 15).......

Rhodes will last until pick #25, where he'll be selected by Pete Carroll... the rich getting richer at CB, ha.

No idea if that would actually happen, but that'd be some whacky size and ability at the CB position.

Rhodes in SEA would be pretty scary in the scheme they play. He has also been linked to JAC early in the 2nd round because of Gus Bradley (SEA DC last yr) going there as HC. I actually like Rhodes a lot for Pats to consider if he is there. Seems his stock is all over the place. Anywhere from Top 20 to early-mid 2nd round. Interesting player to watch though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

do u think Tavon Austin would be a good pick in the 29th?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Random thought. This seems like a great year for BB to double up on talented WRs who may slide a bit due to position depth, similar to the Gronk/Hernandez double-up a few years ago.  If Welker walks (which I'm afraid he will) then we will have a huge need.  BB really needs to find a way to get a 4th or a 5th (or both) in this draft.

I too do not expect WW to be back, so I think multiple WR's could be a possibility (hopefully one via draft and one via FA)... also expect BB to maneuver a bit to pickup additional pick(s) on Day 2 and/or Day 3.

The FA WR that makes a ton of sense that no one really talks about is Rams WR Brandon Gibson, who'm McD should be very familiar with.  Turns 26 in August, decent size (6-0 205) and has a lot of what BB values in a WR, solid route runner, quick feet, good burst, hands catcher... he's not a burner, but provides some decent ability on the outside.  Interested to see what he could do with TB tossing him the football.  He's a FA and could be a most cap friendly option vs. the big name WR's like Bowe, Jennings and Wallace, etc.

What's up MB?  I commented on Gibson in your other thread, but I'll write about him here as well.  I would love to see BB grab him for a reasonable price tag.  I loved him at Washington State.  He was one of the best WRs I've seen come out of Pullman in quite a while.  He has had productive seasons the past couple of years in STL, but I think he's a player on the rise who is capable of bigger things.  He could provide great value vs the other FAs on the market (Bowe, etc).  Definitely a guy to keep an eye on. This would be a typical BB move.  Sign Gibson & draft a slot guy and we would be lookin' good even if Welker leaves.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

I thought the same thing but it depends on welker and what they think of Edelman and demps. Demps to me is a wildcard. He could be a tavon Austin like player . Could we or should we have 2 of those? Both undersized but both lightening fast? 

Also, I don't think Austin makes it to 29. One potential landing spot should be houston. They could really benefit from a kid like this and there were more than a few folks talking welker to houston. If I was houston I would rather have Austin than welker...cheaper, younger and they need to keep big contracts at a minimum so they can replace schyearning 2014.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

That was replace schaub in 2014... Darn spell check

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

while he is what they have drafted, i think they would utilize the pick on somehting they dont have very well covered. (it was not a funny thought though-would be depressing:)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to sportslover21's comment:

Good stuff MB. In additon to Gibson, two other under-the-radar type WR could be Louis Murphy (CAR), played for OAK previously and went to Florida so that connectio is there too. He is a bigger-bodied guy and a good athlete. Another could be Kevin Ogletree from DAL.

I like the idea of double dipping on WR with a two-proned approch in FA and the Draft. This is a good year to do it too.

agreed

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to sportslover21's comment:

Rhodes in SEA would be pretty scary in the scheme they play. He has also been linked to JAC early in the 2nd round because of Gus Bradley (SEA DC last yr) going there as HC. I actually like Rhodes a lot for Pats to consider if he is there. Seems his stock is all over the place. Anywhere from Top 20 to early-mid 2nd round. Interesting player to watch though.

no way he makes it to mid rd 2. even if we have a pass rusher in fa, im not sure bb would take him in rd 1 (following my plan) even if he lsot talib. i would keep talib add rhodes, trade up if necesary adn get a pass legit rusher. the de would be legit.

with a big outside wr who can separte (esp if jopsh learns how to mix teh run and pass and to keep the threat of using any weapon at any time, by keeping a back in the game and in teh backfiedl at the snap on the field), the offense becomes legit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

no.

this team has been handled by good des in playoffs. 

need big receivers. id trade havign welker for a woodsoon type and a smith type.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to moskk's comment:

The board seems to favor trading Mallett for a top 50 pick?  When originally drafted Mallett was presumably a first round talent with off-field issues and was considered a Patriot's steal.  Yes, he needed development but I've read very little about his progress. Does anyone have information about his development...as evidenced in practice (because he has seen little PT on the field)?

The last information I read about Mallett (and it was dated information) was that his effectiveness in long passes was very good but he struggled with the intermediate passes, with recognition of defensive vulnerabilities, with his progression though 1st, 2nd, 3rd passing options etc.

Wasn't Mallett the heir apparent to TB? Why the readiness to trade him for less than a first round pick?

re:

"with his progression though 1st, 2nd, 3rd passing options etc."

and

"Why the readiness to trade him for less than a first round pick?"

because i dont think he can be a top qb. physiclaly hes got it. mentally the game has not slowed down for him like it does for good qbs.

nor does he have that "it" energy for leading in face of adversity. now if you had tebows "it" leadership , mallets body and bradys brain, wed have and all pro. 

seems theres better qbs in college: mccarron,  bridgewater, manziel, etc

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Random thought. This seems like a great year for BB to double up on talented WRs who may slide a bit due to position depth, similar to the Gronk/Hernandez double-up a few years ago.  If Welker walks (which I'm afraid he will) then we will have a huge need.  BB really needs to find a way to get a 4th or a 5th (or both) in this draft.

I too do not expect WW to be back, so I think multiple WR's could be a possibility (hopefully one via draft and one via FA)... also expect BB to maneuver a bit to pickup additional pick(s) on Day 2 and/or Day 3.

The FA WR that makes a ton of sense that no one really talks about is Rams WR Brandon Gibson, who'm McD should be very familiar with.  Turns 26 in August, decent size (6-0 205) and has a lot of what BB values in a WR, solid route runner, quick feet, good burst, hands catcher... he's not a burner, but provides some decent ability on the outside.  Interested to see what he could do with TB tossing him the football.  He's a FA and could be a most cap friendly option vs. the big name WR's like Bowe, Jennings and Wallace, etc.

What's up MB?  I commented on Gibson in your other thread, but I'll write about him here as well.  I would love to see BB grab him for a reasonable price tag.  I loved him at Washington State.  He was one of the best WRs I've seen come out of Pullman in quite a while.  He has had productive seasons the past couple of years in STL, but I think he's a player on the rise who is capable of bigger things.  He could provide great value vs the other FAs on the market (Bowe, etc).  Definitely a guy to keep an eye on. This would be a typical BB move.  Sign Gibson & draft a slot guy and we would be lookin' good even if Welker leaves.

Hey man... Agreed, like it as a value/upside type pickup and while he has a similar skill set to Brandon Lloyd, he's 6 years younger, which I also like... maybe giving them the flexibility to move on from Lloyd if they wanted to.

Agreed, sign Gibson, draft someone capable of playing the slot... though they may also like Edelman there... but draft a WR to develop either way.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Hey man... Agreed, like it as a value/upside type pickup and while he has a similar skill set to Brandon Lloyd, he's 6 years younger, which I also like... maybe giving them the flexibility to move on from Lloyd if they wanted to.

Agreed, sign Gibson, draft someone capable of playing the slot... though they may also like Edelman there... but draft a WR to develop either way.

he probably doesnt dive on the ground after every catch like lloyd. so with the money differential thatd be a good switch.

"but draft a WR to develop either way."

ideally id like to get a big bodied possession guy like boldin and a big burner.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

The board seems to favor trading Mallett for a top 50 pick?  When originally drafted Mallett was presumably a first round talent with off-field issues and was considered a Patriot's steal.  Yes, he needed development but I've read very little about his progress. Does anyone have information about his development...as evidenced in practice (because he has seen little PT on the field)?

The last information I read about Mallett (and it was dated information) was that his effectiveness in long passes was very good but he struggled with the intermediate passes, with recognition of defensive vulnerabilities, with his progression though 1st, 2nd, 3rd passing options etc.

Wasn't Mallett the heir apparent to TB? Why the readiness to trade him for less than a first round pick?

re:

and

because i dont think he can be a top qb. physiclaly hes got it. mentally the game has not slowed down for him like it does for good qbs.

nor does he have that "it" energy for leading in face of adversity. now if you had tebows "it" leadership , mallets body and bradys brain, wed have and all pro. 

I want McCarron... proven winner, good size/height, good arm, accurate, protects the football, smart, competitive... dates smokeshows... would fit right in down in Foxboro.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

re:

and

I want McCarron... proven winner, good size/height, good arm, accurate, protects the football, smart, competitive... dates smokeshows... would fit right in down in Foxboro.

yes i spoke of drafting him on this thread this year, a little reminiscent of yong brady. protects the football, rises to the occasion when a big play is needed, leadership, unfazed by big gaem/big moment.

though if i had a shot at manziel....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

seeing tank carradine now in rd 1 to pats? could it happen?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

for those who see the cb need, if we do get some pass rush help in fa, if rhodes is gone, do you take trufant or go best wr avail in rd 1 (and cb in rd2) ?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I have him Rd 2 due to the late season ACL tear, but I think he has a Rd 1 skill set.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

seems to me, pats may be trying to keep talib., why else float the story of him "not having a good work ethic"?

if we dont restructure brady, fork, or mankins and dont drop lloyd,

it seems likely we keep one or none of talib, vollmer, welker. id like to keep at least talib and vollmer (if he'll take a lower $ deal). 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I have him Rd 2 due to the late season ACL tear, but I think he has a Rd 1 skill set.

agreed mb, why i was surprised him mocked in rd 1.

but i do have pass rush as our #1 need.

what guarantee is there hed make it to the back of rd 2?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

There is no guarantee.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

There is no guarantee.

not speaking literal here of course (no guarantees in the draft). how high is the likelihood.