***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to Faucetman's comment:

Welker vs. Mike Wallace??

Wallace is now unrestricted and the Steelers likely won't tag him.  He was pretty disgruntled last year with the restriction.  Word out of PIT is he's gone.  Would it be a smart play to give Wallace the money we could use to keep the much older Welker?  Edelman and Hernandez can work the middle and we could pair Wallace with Lloyd on the outside.  We then don't need to draft a WR high in the draft.

I heard Wallace had a bad attitude in PIT all year and didn't like his opportunities.  This could turn BB off.

Personally, I don't see BB handing over huge dollars to any WR, which is what I think Wallace will demand, and ultimately receive.

He did it for Moss.  But other teams will offer Wallace more and if he isn't willing to give PIT a home town discount, why would he give BB one?  The chance to play with TB?  I doubt it.  I heard IND is in the hunt for him along with CIN, CLE and others.

What about making a play for Cliff Avril?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Wallace is now unrestricted and the Steelers likely won't tag him.  He was pretty disgruntled last year with the restriction.  Word out of PIT is he's gone.  Would it be a smart play to give Wallace the money we could use to keep the much older Welker?  Edelman and Hernandez can work the middle and we could pair Wallace with Lloyd on the outside.  We then don't need to draft a WR high in the draft.

I heard Wallace had a bad attitude in PIT all year and didn't like his opportunities.  This could turn BB off.

Personally, I don't see BB handing over huge dollars to any WR, which is what I think Wallace will demand, and ultimately receive.

He did it for Moss.  But other teams will offer Wallace more and if he isn't willing to give PIT a home town discount, why would he give BB one?  The chance to play with TB?  I doubt it.  I heard IND is in the hunt for him along with CIN, CLE and others.

CLE is a team that should be all over him... they have a huge hole at the WR position opposite Josh Gordon.

Avril is intriguing, but he's made it known that he's looking to get paid... so it all depends on how they value him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Mayock's positional Top 5's V1 have been released:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000139744/article/precombine-position-rankings-for-2013-nfl-draft

A couple of notables:

Sharrif Floyd is his #1 DT

Cordarrelle Patterson is his #1 WR

Brian Schwenke is his #2 C

Barrett Jones is his #3 C

John Cyprien is his #3 S

Zeke Motta is his #5 S

i noted the floyd meteoric rise on boards recently.

nice to get mayocks take

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

kind of player pats need. i belkieve said he wants big, BIG,  money

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

Yeap, he wants big money

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Mayock's positional Top 5's V1 have been released:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000139744/article/precombine-position-rankings-for-2013-nfl-draft

A couple of notables:

Sharrif Floyd is his #1 DT

Cordarrelle Patterson is his #1 WR

Brian Schwenke is his #2 C

Barrett Jones is his #3 C

John Cyprien is his #3 S

Zeke Motta is his #5 S

Thanks for the link MB

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Hi Faucet,

Hope all is well. I think I had mentioned on here last year around this time to someone that I felt his reputation and stats were tainted by the Big Ben run around sand lot style of football and that Wallace would not be the same here.

Turns out that was proved while staying in Pitt and the OC just reigning in Big Ben. Wallaces numbers, specifically his yards per catch plummeted in response.

Less time to run deep or break off deep on a broken pocket play.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Hi Faucet,

Hope all is well. I think I had mentioned on here last year around this time to someone that I felt his reputation and stats were tainted by the Big Ben run around sand lot style of football and that Wallace would not be the same here.

Turns out that was proved while staying in Pitt and the OC just reigning in Big Ben. Wallaces numbers, specifically his yards per catch plummeted in response.

Less time to run deep or break off deep on a broken pocket play.

or the entire team underperformed last year and to top it off wallace wasn't happy there... it doesn't take much time for wallace to get down field.

Takes time for him to get open though. There is a difference. Someone did a study on it a year or so ago noting that the majority of his deep/big plays came on broken pocket Ben running around throws.

Defenses roll coverage. There are always fast guys in the league. No one is just lining up and going ha I run faster than you and the qb and me will just play catch all day. Not saying Wallce is bad but his reputation and stats were helped by the previous situation in my opinion.

Three years in a row now his yards and avg has dropped. He'll help someone. I just don't find him to be a great fit for the Patriots system, especially given the money it would take.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

This has probably been brought up many times already so apologies if its been discussed.

With the Pats at #29 and no real sure 1st round QB's apparently, does anyone think any of the following teams from the top of the 2nd round might be interested in trading up into the bottom of the 1st for the QB of choice if none had been taken?

1. Chiefs 
    2. Jaguars 
    3. Raiders 
    4. Eagles 
    5. Lions 
    6. Browns 
    7. Cardinals 
    8. Bills 
    9. Jets 

Just curious on your thoughts.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Some franchise tag insight for all 32 teams from Mike Florio (love him or hate him):

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/17/team-by-team-look-at-who-wouldcouldshould-be-tagged/

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Some franchise tag insight for all 32 teams from Mike Florio (love him or hate him):

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/17/team-by-team-look-at-who-wouldcouldshould-be-tagged/

Good stuff.  In our situation, I guess I would tag Vollmer if none of the 3 would agree to a reasonable deal.  If Vollmer does in fact agree to a long-term deal, then I would tag Talib.  11.4 million is simply too much for Welker, and I'm not even getting my hopes up for him to sign a team-friendly deal.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Motta is a poor man's Smith. Hope he is as fluid, at the combine. Pats need size and smarts at this position.

I'm very high on Motta, love his physicality and tackling ability... quick to read/react and closes downhill in a hurry... also, there's nobody that's seen more Motta than Mayock (does color for the ND NBC broadcasts) and he has him as his #5 S overall.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Motta is a poor man's Smith. Hope he is as fluid, at the combine. Pats need size and smarts at this position.

I'm very high on Motta, love his physicality and tackling ability... quick to read/react and closes downhill in a hurry... also, there's nobody that's seen more Motta than Mayock (does color for the ND NBC broadcasts) and he has him as his #5 S overall.

Motta is nfldraftscout's #8 among FSs, just ahead of Swearinger. I hope that means these two gems remain hidden. The problem really has more to do with the Pats having very few picks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

This has probably been brought up many times already so apologies if its been discussed.

With the Pats at #29 and no real sure 1st round QB's apparently, does anyone think any of the following teams from the top of the 2nd round might be interested in trading up into the bottom of the 1st for the QB of choice if none had been taken?

1. Chiefs 
    2. Jaguars 
    3. Raiders 
    4. Eagles 
    5. Lions 
    6. Browns 
    7. Cardinals 
    8. Bills 
    9. Jets 

I would not be surprised at all if no team trades up to #29. I think, the need for QB is dire for Chiefs and Cardinals. The others, I think have enough (yes, even the Jets) to get by and not have to spend high picks to get a QB - the right approach given no must-have QBs in this class.

Jaguars: They could decide to wait another year before giving up on Gabbert

Raiders: In no position to be a buyer after giving up picks for Palmer; Also I think Pryor showed very good signs on their last game, which he started. I thought he was a better QB than the stats he achieved that day.

Eagles: I believe I heard them re-sign Vick the other day. They also signed Dixon, who is familiar with Kelly's system. Question is whether his legs can still run.

Browns: They are looking for an upgrade to Weeden. I'd be surprised if they see anyone in the draft as that upgrade, that they would be willing to spend their first or second. They also forfeited their second round.

Bills: They are not going to upgrade over Fitz with the QBs in the draft.

Jets: As bad as Sanchez played, none of the QBs in the draft show a lot of promise being an upgrade. Besides, he can't play any worse.... Can he?

Consider also that Alex Smith could be available. Flynn could be available at a more reasonable cost.

Out of the box thinking, if I were San Diego, I'd trade Rivers for 2014 picks (Rivers' career would be over before they are able to rebuild that team). That would be a good gutsy move for a new FO.

Pats' #59 may attract more demand if QBs are available and there are still teams looking for backups. If that is the case, I'd prefer they trade the pick with someone who has a pick in the first half of the third, take that third plus an additional 2014 pick to even out the value.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Motta is nfldraftscout's #8 among FSs, just ahead of Swearinger. I hope that means these two gems remain hidden. The problem really has more to do with the Pats having very few picks.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Swearinger sneak into Rd 2 or atleast the Top 75 (Cyprien off within the Top 50)... but to your point, I'd be stoked to land either as both bring that smack you in the mouth mentality and aggression, something that they don't really have in the back end of their defense today.  Swearinger in particular plays with large amount of swagger and emotion and while he's likely to be flagged a fair amount for helmet to helmet, unnecessary roughness type calls, I'd almost be willing ato trade a few of those flags for the element of intimidation (similar to what you got with Rodney), as crazy as that may sound.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

1. Chiefs 
    2. Jaguars 
    3. Raiders 
    4. Eagles 
    5. Lions 
    6. Browns 
    7. Cardinals 
    8. Bills 
    9. Jets 

I would not be surprised at all if no team trades up to #29. I think, the need for QB is dire for Chiefs and Cardinals. The others, I think have enough (yes, even the Jets) to get by and not have to spend high picks to get a QB - the right approach given no must-have QBs in this class.

Jaguars: They could decide to wait another year before giving up on Gabbert

Raiders: In no position to be a buyer after giving up picks for Palmer; Also I think Pryor showed very good signs on their last game, which he started. I thought he was a better QB than the stats he achieved that day.

Eagles: I believe I heard them re-sign Vick the other day. They also signed Dixon, who is familiar with Kelly's system. Question is whether his legs can still run.

Browns: They are looking for an upgrade to Weeden. I'd be surprised if they see anyone in the draft as that upgrade, that they would be willing to spend their first or second. They also forfeited their second round.

Bills: They are not going to upgrade over Fitz with the QBs in the draft.

Jets: As bad as Sanchez played, none of the QBs in the draft show a lot of promise being an upgrade. Besides, he can't play any worse.... Can he?

Consider also that Alex Smith could be available. Flynn could be available at a more reasonable cost.

Out of the box thinking, if I were San Diego, I'd trade Rivers for 2014 picks (Rivers' career would be over before they are able to rebuild that team). That would be a good gutsy move for a new FO.

Pats' #59 may attract more demand if QBs are available and there are still teams looking for backups. If that is the case, I'd prefer they trade the pick with someone who has a pick in the first half of the third, take that third plus an additional 2014 pick to even out the value.

Wouldn't shock me to see Buffalo move back into Rd 1 to target Ryan Nassib... new HC Doug Marrone's QB at Syracuse.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

If UNC OG Jonathan Cooper is available at 29, I think it will be tough to pass on him.  I know it isn't our biggest position of need, but we don't exactly have a ton of youth there either.  Cooper is about as safe as a pick as you would find at that point. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Wouldn't shock me to see Buffalo move back into Rd 1 to target Ryan Nassib... new HC Doug Marrone's QB at Syracuse.

I understand the connection. That said, two questions...

1)  How strongly does Marrone feel about Nassib that he'd be willing to stick his neck out to get such a move done - a pretty big move if you ask me.

2)  How much clout would Marrone have that he could convince  the organization to make such a big move? The time to make such a move is if they feel confident the move would get them to be at par or better than the Pats. Weirder things have happened, but I would be surprised if they see Nassib representing that potential.

I have to assuem that the people in their Fo got there because they are pretty smart. I cannot imagine then that they do not recognize next year's class of QBs having the potential they are seeking, and it would be best for them to keep their ammo for next year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

If UNC OG Jonathan Cooper is available at 29, I think it will be tough to pass on him.  I know it isn't our biggest position of need, but we don't exactly have a ton of youth there either.  Cooper is about as safe as a pick as you would find at that point. 

He's one of the better players that I've studied on tape, excellent movement ability, gets to the 2nd level with ease, always looking to finish his blocks... future All-Pro, IMO.

I'd could easily put this kid #1 overall on my board, he's that good and while I'd prefer to see them address other positions, DL/WR/DB, etc... the pick woud be justified, represent bigtime value, etc.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I understand the connection. That said, two questions...

1)  How strongly does Marrone feel about Nassib that he'd be willing to stick his neck out to get such a move done - a pretty big move if you ask me.

2)  How much clout would Marrone have that he could convince  the organization to make such a big move? The time to make such a move is if they feel confident the move would get them to be at par or better than the Pats. Weirder things have happened, but I would be surprised if they see Nassib representing that potential.

I have to assuem that the people in their Fo got there because they are pretty smart. I cannot imagine then that they do not recognize next year's class of QBs having the potential they are seeking, and it would be best for them to keep their ammo for next year.

For what it's worth, The National Football Post (draft portion run by former NFL Scout Russ Lande) has Nassib is it's #1 overall prospect in the draft... I don't agree, but I think it implies that he's better than people think.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Owner Ralph Wilson has handed controls of the franchise over to Russ Brandon (CEO), who in turn spearheaded the hiring of Marrone (which was a bold move in itself) and it could make sense from both a marketing and personnel perspective to bring in a young talented QB (whom the HC is intimately familiar with) to be the new fact of the franchise.  In other words, I'd expect that Brandon would want to put his stamp on things.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

Yeap, he wants big money

I think he mentioned Julius Peppers money. I don't think he's worth that but I wouldn't be suprised to see someone offer him 12 or 13 million a year

Sections
Shortcuts