***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

He is actually closer in size to Hightower than mayo...mayo goes for 6'1', 250, vega is listed at 6'3".5, closer to 260 now. I went back and rematched some video. I did see him drop into coverage a few times and he looked fspikes now he wasn't covering te's 20 yadds downfield, but he was covering backs coming out of the backfield on screens and some stuff over the middle. Looked decent. Maybe as you suggest bb is thinking about him more as a 4-3 olb. Just a guess.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to Army2LT's comment:

http://www.drafttek.com/Top-100-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2013.asp

This website is pretty cool.  Draft Tec compiles the mocks from other sites and tracks the rise and falls of players.

Right now, the bigest risers seem to be Sharif Floyd and Arthur Brown.  One of the fallers is Johnathan Hankins.  I wonder id BB is interested in grabbing him in the first to complement Big Vince.  He's listed at 6"3' 335.

Thanks man, always looking for new publications.

i look at it bout once a week or when they update their mock

AND

they currently have ansah making it to 30. i wouldnt take a wr over him in rd 1.

I'm not big on draft guarantees, but these guys are out of their minds if they think he lasts that long.  Personally, I don't think he makes it past the NYG at #19.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Jeez Werner and Carradine were killing it for FSU.

The Gholston kid for MSU did not look bad either till I saw him get destroyed by Taylor Lewen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

The Gholston kid for MSU did not look bad either till I saw him get destroyed by Taylor Lewen.

That they were, and that was with Brandon Jenkins being out... who's a Day 2 kid himself... next year they'll likely feature Mario Edwards who was the #1 (or close to it) recruit in the nation in 2012...  that's some crazy edge talent in Tallahassee!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

BTW, the 2013 NFL Combine starts today!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Gholston is an interesting case I've been pushing for a while. Very good run defender and extremely intelligent sniffing out screens and where runners are heading. If they are within reaching distance they don't get past him. Very good lateral movement

Now he does compare to his cousin and former Jets Gholston when it comes to athletic freak ability and inability to develop pass rushing moves. Also the fear of him being like the other Gholston has killed his stock given he hasn't been able to capatilize on is freakish athlectic ability but that's where the comparsion ends. This Gholston has a high motor, extremely strong work ethic, takes coaching well, and never gives up on the field. He's a mid round player BB loves to pick up. Untapped ability but high motor and work ethic to go along with it. If this Gholston can figure out some pass rushing moves he'd be a deadly 3 down player. IMO if we trade back and grab a 4th this kid is well worth taking a look at

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Is it just measurements today? When is the first day or drills?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I thought it didn't start until Sat?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Gholston is an interesting case I've been pushing for a while. Very good run defender and extremely intelligent sniffing out screens and where runners are heading. If they are within reaching distance they don't get past him. Very good lateral movement

Now he does compare to his cousin and former Jets Gholston when it comes to athletic freak ability and inability to develop pass rushing moves. Also the fear of him being like the other Gholston has killed his stock given he hasn't been able to capatilize on is freakish athlectic ability but that's where the comparsion ends. This Gholston has a high motor, extremely strong work ethic, takes coaching well, and never gives up on the field. He's a mid round player BB loves to pick up. Untapped ability but high motor and work ethic to go along with it. If this Gholston can figure out some pass rushing moves he'd be a deadly 3 down player. IMO if we trade back and grab a 4th this kid is well worth taking a look at

I saw a lot of the same things, saw him sniff some screens, good against the run. Chase a bunch down on the backside but he flat out quit against Taylor Lewen. Granted Lewen is currently the #2 OT I think for 2014 but that's the type he is most often going to face in the pros.

I mean not only could he not do anything but he looked like he just quite after a while which turned me off more than the not being able to do much against a superior talent.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Looks like Mike Wallace is expected to be Miami's top FA target:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/20/report-mike-wallace-is-the-dolphins-top-target/

1.  May increase the need for NE to add DB talent, as if the need wasn't apparent already.

2.  May open up Brian Hartline as a FA option as folks have mentioned.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

In response to natesubs's comment:

1st round – #6 (acquired in trade from Cleveland for mallet and a 1nd round pick) Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah

1st round –Traded to Cleveland

2nd round -  Margus Hunt DE, SMU
    3rd Round -
    Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State or Da’Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee tech
    4th round (probable compensatory pick for anderson) - Tyrann Mathieu*, CB/S, LSU

5th round(probable compensatory pick for BJGE/koppen/ohrnberger/carter/sterling moore) –Chris Harper, WR Kansas State

7th round - Braden Hansen, G, BYU or braden Brown, OT/TE, BYU
    7th Round - Ron Powell*, OLB, Florida  or Jake stoneburner, TE, OSU

UDFA-       Graham Pocic, C, Illinois

Levine Toilolo, TE, Stanford or

Lucas Reed, TE, New Mexico

Ray Ray Armstrong, S, Faulkner University

Demetrius McCray, CB, App State

Luke Marquardt, OT, Azusa Pacific

Hey nate.  I like where your head is here, but I think you're dreaming a bit about Mallett's worth and about getting those comp picks.  I like the players you mock here, though!  Especially Ray Ray as an UDFA.

anyone know what Ray Ray did, btw? All I heard was he lied during an internal investigation and talked to a booster or something

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/20173142/naia-declares-former-miami-safety-ray-ray-armstrong-ineligible

Thanks for the link

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Good Info

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/20/report-mike-wallace-is-the-dolphins-top-target/

1.  May increase the need for NE to add DB talent, as if the need wasn't apparent already.

I wouldn't say that. One thing about Wallace is he needs broken plays to get his numbers. I'll try to pull it up but he put up his best numbers when Ben was scrambling and the play broke. But, as Ben stayed in the pocket or a replacement QB came in his numbers took a major hit. The book on Wallace is put a S over top and you're fine, but if you break from assignments he can find an open hole. The scary part is look at his last 3 years. Targets have gone up but rec's have remained steady, his yrds have decreased, and his YPR average has dropped significantly over that time period. I think the league has caught up to him and without the broken plays he enjoyed in previous years he's come back down to earth. I'd love for Mia to sign him to a top teir WR contract becaues I don't think he could live up to it and they might let Harline walk which I would hope BB would jump on that chance.

I'm also hoping Buf is stupid enough to give Nelson a low RFA tender. I'd love to see BB toss a 3rd or 3nd at Buf and grab Nelson

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Combine workouts start on the 23rd, Saturday, as someone alluded to.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1535054-nfl-combine-schedule-2013-day-by-day-group-events-live-stream-more

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Correct, believe weigh-ins start today, below is the workout schedule:

Combine workout schedule:
    » Saturday, Feb. 23: Tight ends, offensive linemen, special teams
    » Sunday, Feb. 24: Quarterbacks, running backs, wide receivers
    » Monday, Feb. 25: Defensive linemen, linebackers
    » Tuesday, Feb. 26: Defensive backs

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Has anyone talked about Cobi Hamilton? What's his deal?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

The dennard issue could be cause for concern depending on how he gets sentenced. I think he get 30 days in the pokey and a suspended sentence. However, if he does real prison time we are hosed. Not only will we almost be forced to sign Talib or a comparable vet FA, we will have to grab another cb or two in the draft. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

The dennard issue could be cause for concern depending on how he gets sentenced. I think he get 30 days in the pokey and a suspended sentence. However, if he does real prison time we are hosed. Not only will we almost be forced to sign Talib or a comparable vet FA, we will have to grab another cb or two in the draft. 

Even if he does not do real prison time how many games suspension will he get from Goodell?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Even if he does not do real prison time how many games suspension will he get from Goodell?

I don't think he can get suspended because he wasn't in the NFL yet. With the sentencing April 11th and the whole thing up in the air at the moment, I think Talib is a must sign and they should look at drafting a CB

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I wouldn't say that. One thing about Wallace is he needs broken plays to get his numbers. I'll try to pull it up but he put up his best numbers when Ben was scrambling and the play broke. But, as Ben stayed in the pocket or a replacement QB came in his numbers took a major hit. The book on Wallace is put a S over top and you're fine, but if you break from assignments he can find an open hole. The scary part is look at his last 3 years. Targets have gone up but rec's have remained steady, his yrds have decreased, and his YPR average has dropped significantly over that time period. I think the league has caught up to him and without the broken plays he enjoyed in previous years he's come back down to earth. I'd love for Mia to sign him to a top teir WR contract becaues I don't think he could live up to it and they might let Harline walk which I would hope BB would jump on that chance.

I'm also hoping Buf is stupid enough to give Nelson a low RFA tender. I'd love to see BB toss a 3rd or 3nd at Buf and grab Nelson

He is a big target for sure. another guy however with season ending acl surgery. Given the WR depth is so good this year, there are kids in the 3rd that might be equally good without giving up a draft pick . I think if bb had more selections he might...where we stand today, I think he uses them all in the draft and tries to turn 3 in the first 3 rounds into possibly 4 or pick up a 4th Rounder....I would like to see the pats get a 4th rounder back...one kid I have been looking at lately is Marcus Davis from Virginia tech. Big kid both in height and weight and runs a 4.4. Good hands, e plosives and can be that perimeter, go up and get it threat we need. 

Anyone have any thoughts on him?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Agree...how can goodelll suspend him for something he did in college? If there is a way, gooddell will probably find it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

I don't think he can get suspended because he wasn't in the NFL yet. With the sentencing April 11th and the whole thing up in the air at the moment, I think Talib is a must sign and they should look at drafting a CB

Good point. I did not think of that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

He is a big target for sure. another guy however with season ending acl surgery. Given the WR depth is so good this year, there are kids in the 3rd that might be equally good without giving up a draft pick . I think if bb had more selections he might...where we stand today, I think he uses them all in the draft and tries to turn 3 in the first 3 rounds into possibly 4 or pick up a 4th Rounder....I would like to see the pats get a 4th rounder back...one kid I have been looking at lately is Marcus Davis from Virginia tech. Big kid both in height and weight and runs a 4.4. Good hands, e plosives and can be that perimeter, go up and get it threat we need. 

I think Davis is a kid that PE was high on, but cooled a bit due to his effort as a blocker.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think Davis is a kid that PE was high on, but cooled a bit due to his effort as a blocker.

I was. Great talent with eye popping ability but then I saw video of him blocking and a blind grandmother could do a better job. Additionally I watch just general plays and unless the play was to his side he was dogging it. I've dropped him off my list completely

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I was. Great talent with eye popping ability but then I saw video of him blocking and a blind grandmother could do a better job. Additionally I watch just general plays and unless the play was to his side he was dogging it. I've dropped him off my list completely

What are your thougths on his WR mate Corey Fuller?  Looks like decent Day 3 size/speed type kid?