***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

If the Pats want a safety it seems like a good year. The 1st three I looked at so far...

Elam

Swearinger

Vacarro

...all look good.

I agree, good amount of talent/physicality in this class... give ND's Zeke Motta and Florida's Josh Evans a look as well... both are good sized kids that that'll come up and smack you in the mouth... both could provide good value in Rd's 3/4.

i woud include rambo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

That Ansa kid is pretty ridiculous. Sheesh.

Doesn't always look sure of what he sees so only half commits to a certain play sometimes, like a delayed reaction, but once he commits just get out of his way or he's gonna run your over lol.

yup, he was my fav player for the pats from early on since we were not gonna have a shot at werner.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Not sure how much pass rush push Jesse could ever give you but you are not moving that dude off the line very often.

Anchor definitely comes to mind. I think what holds him back is technique. He's shown capacity to be a bull at times.

i thkn in todays nfl, you have to get to the qb and bb's defensive style is out of date.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

That Ansa kid is pretty ridiculous. Sheesh.

Doesn't always look sure of what he sees so only half commits to a certain play sometimes, like a delayed reaction, but once he commits just get out of his way or he's gonna run your over lol.

That's the thing with the kid... at this point, his football IQ and football moves are probably just half way developed, and yet he is scary already. He shows a lot of power and speed. I believe it was in the Senior Bowl where he had back to back plays using speed on one followed by a bull rush (or the other way around). His speed is real. On one game I heard an announcer say he ran a sub-11 100m just a couple of years ago. It would take a miracle for him to drop to 29.

I am drooling as I am typing this. 

hey seattly, i have been beating the drum all thru this thread for ansah as my fav #1 pick. hadnt heard anyone else on board withthe idea till now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Dion Jordan is athletic and quick but not great against the run.

He also runs himself completely out of the play a lot.

Kid's still growing into his body and position, having only moved to the defensive side of the ball in 2010... he's ultra versatile, lining up in man coverage on occasion, love his overall play speed/motor, though as you mention he can overrun the play at times, and IMO has no chance of being available at pick 29.

Yeah I know but his athleticism caught my eye so I decided to watch.

was my #2 pick fav pick for pats after mb put me onto him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Agree...how can goodelll suspend him for something he did in college? If there is a way, gooddell will probably find it.

agreed

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to Army2LT's comment:

http://www.drafttek.com/Top-100-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2013.asp

This website is pretty cool.  Draft Tec compiles the mocks from other sites and tracks the rise and falls of players.

Right now, the bigest risers seem to be Sharif Floyd and Arthur Brown.  One of the fallers is Johnathan Hankins.  I wonder id BB is interested in grabbing him in the first to complement Big Vince.  He's listed at 6"3' 335.

Thanks man, always looking for new publications.

i look at it bout once a week or when they update their mock

AND

they currently have ansah making it to 30. i wouldnt take a wr over him in rd 1.

I'm not big on draft guarantees, but these guys are out of their minds if they think he lasts that long.  Personally, I don't think he makes it past the NYG at #19.

we shall see. 

if he makes it to the 20s id consider trading a 2014 pick and our #1.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Ansa is a monster but this kid won't be avaible in the 29th pick...NO WAY!!!!!he has top 15 talent

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Looks like Mike Wallace is expected to be Miami's top FA target:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/20/report-mike-wallace-is-the-dolphins-top-target/

1.  May increase the need for NE to add DB talent, as if the need wasn't apparent already.

2.  May open up Brian Hartline as a FA option as folks have mentioned.

not to mentiuon dennards situation/

i wanted talib and a top cb (if we can get a pass eusher in fa) to be our 1 and 2 and dennard and dowling battleing for our 3 and 4. 

if lsot talib and dennard for a year, the sit could be red ie puch us to move for cbs in fa and draft.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

guys we can't have a bad draft this year, we need to find guys whose will cause impact in nfl immediately!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

The draft is deep in our areas of need. I expect this one to be as good as the Gronk/Hern draft. 

I have seen 3 mocks that have us taking kawaan short at 29. He has good size and is a good run defender as well as interior rusher. Any thoughts on this? I called short about 2 months ago, changed my mind, but am coming back around. I like him playing next to jones. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

The draft is deep in our areas of need. I expect this one to be as good as the Gronk/Hern draft. 

I have seen 3 mocks that have us taking kawaan short at 29. He has good size and is a good run defender as well as interior rusher. Any thoughts on this? I called short about 2 months ago, changed my mind, but am coming back around. I like him playing next to jones. 

im luke on short. 

with 3 picks, if we get a pass rusher in fa, a take the top cb avail ie rhodes, then big outside speed wr with hands.

with no pass rusher in fa, im looking to either trade up to best pass rusher in reach (ie ansah) or grab the best avail. (lastly, there is the risky option of trying to nab carradine in rd 2)

top 3 needs pass rusher, cb, wr.

then o line, speedy cover lb, safety, dt 

in that order.

schemewise a move to hittign bigger wr further downfield than 4-5 yards every down

josh learning hwo better to mix in the run and having multiple threats inthe game at the same time (including rb behind the qb) adn better gameplans (or replacing josh).

and on de, bb swicthing to more aggressive defensive scheme through the whole seaosn (against most teams).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Lifer, Short had excellent production 43 tackles, 15.5 tackles for a loss, seven sacks, four passes broken up, four blocked kicks and a forced fumble in 2012. Some sites were questioning his motor, but he had an ankle injury during the middle of the season.  He played through it. I do question his size as he weighed-in at the Senior Bowl at 308, would like to see him above 315. I think he be there in 25-40 range. Denver might grab him before us.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

guys we can't have a bad draft this year, we need to find guys whose will cause impact in nfl immediately!

100% correct !

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

What are your thougths on his WR mate Corey Fuller?  Looks like decent Day 3 size/speed type kid?

Fuller is a nice kid. He has good height and runs mid 4.4's which should be a plus. Comes from a football family but if I remember right he wasn't a big football player, he was a track guy. The problem being he wasn't fast enough to compete really. He gives a much better effort blocking then Davis but since he's kind of a late to football type of player he has some issues. He likes to catch the ball close to his body, doesn't run clean routes, telegraphs if he's the main target (on posts and out's looks back immediately instead of at a predetermined location or after the DB had been beat), doesn't have the best hands, and doesn't do a good job boxing out DBs. Still he is gifted athletically and has good potential with high upside. Right now he's and early day 3 pick but after the combine and pro-day, given his size and speed, with the right training coach he could end up mid day 2

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

One guy I've recently noticed as I was checking out smaller schools is:

Brandon Kaufman WR Eastern Washington - 6'4" 215 4.6ish speed

I was watching film on this kid and hope he's in the combine. The kid has a naturally long stride and from what little I saw has great leaping ability and excellent hands. He's a bit tight rounding corners but is excellent in boxing DB's out. The best part was watching him toss a CB to the ground one game, he just physically dominants at the line so press coverage doesn't work. Know he missed the entire 11' season after knee and hand surgery but in 12' he came back to the tune of 93 recs for 1850 yrds and 16 TDS in 10' had had 76 recs for 1214 yrds and 15 TDs so it was no fluke. I know it's the FCS but those numbers are impressive all the way around. If he's in the combine I expect him to shoot up draft boards quickly.

If we are going to draft a WR, I'd prefer to grab one in the 3rd and right now Kaufman and Marquess Wilson. I'd have a hard time choosing honestly. Wilson to me has top 15 talent but major red flags for character concerns. Kaufman has major talent but it's unproven. I might go Kaufman because I think he can be a special find

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTe)

I thkn in todays nfl, you have to get to the qb and bb's defensive style is out of date.

[/QUOTE] I agree, I've been saying that for yrs. You could have all the Ed Reed's/D. Revies of the world in coverage. But if you don't but pressure on the QB, what good is it.We saw what Joe Flacco did in the playoffs and just about every QB in the league does against our "Bend don't Break" defense.- Attack,Attack, hit the QB, make the QB make quick(bad)throws,throw the timmng off etc. It all starts up front.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

If the Pats want a safety it seems like a good year. The 1st three I looked at so far...

Elam

Swearinger

Vacarro

...all look good.

I agree, good amount of talent/physicality in this class... give ND's Zeke Motta and Florida's Josh Evans a look as well... both are good sized kids that that'll come up and smack you in the mouth... both could provide good value in Rd's 3/4.

Thanks MB I will have a look

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I was watching film on this kid and hope he's in the combine. The kid has a naturally long stride and from what little I saw has great leaping ability and excellent hands. He's a bit tight rounding corners but is excellent in boxing DB's out. The best part was watching him toss a CB to the ground one game, he just physically dominants at the line so press coverage doesn't work. Know he missed the entire 11' season after knee and hand surgery but in 12' he came back to the tune of 93 recs for 1850 yrds and 16 TDS in 10' had had 76 recs for 1214 yrds and 15 TDs so it was no fluke. I know it's the FCS but those numbers are impressive all the way around. If he's in the combine I expect him to shoot up draft boards quickly.

If we are going to draft a WR, I'd prefer to grab one in the 3rd and right now Kaufman and Marquess Wilson. I'd have a hard time choosing honestly. Wilson to me has top 15 talent but major red flags for character concerns. Kaufman has major talent but it's unproven. I might go Kaufman because I think he can be a special find

Nice find! I just checked out these 3 clips of him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwswt3fI2QE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeslnNUi2E4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk9zPQykWNE

Looks like he has a nice juke move similiar to Hernandez. Makes some nice catches. It would help if he had a better QB throwing to him

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Nice find Eng.  I discussed Kaufman a bit a while ago in this thread, and I agree that he could be a really nice find in this draft.  He will be at the combine, by the way.  I've seen Wilson play live numerous times, and Kaufman play live a few times as well.  As much as it pains me to say, because I love my Cougs, I would have to agree that Kaufman would probably be a smarter pick than Wilson.  Kuafman isn't as fast, but he is much more physical and he has phenomenal hands.  Even before all of the drama with Wilson this past season, he was having a tough year that included some big drops.  His head wasn't in the game, and after seeing the ugly fall-out he had with Leach and the rest of the WSU coaching staff, you have to wonder if he is mentally tough enough to make it in the NFL.  The combine interviews will not be easy for him, but will be crucial for his future.  I really like Kaufman.  He's a leader, plays hard, and broke about every recieving record in the book at EWU after 3 seasons.  Seems like a guy who would interest BB.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to palookaski's comment:

Thank you all for a great thread. Going into the combine and upcoming draft, the info contained within is appreciated. :-))

Thanks palookaski... like most on here, I'm happy to contribute.  GO PATS!

Back to you MB. The Thread is a resource of info for any NFL Club. We all can see that you love doing this work as a hobby/favvy passtime etc.

But seriously, I would not think it vanity if you emailed every NFL Club (VP of player personnel) and invite them all to take a peek at this tremendous amount of resource that takes incalcable amout of time. This thread just may be as good or better than what they already have assembled. 
    Find a reason for them to hire you as a no show/stay at home, talent investigator etc. Never know and worth a shot. No kidding!

enjoy ;-)

Haha, thanks for the props man, but most of those NFL personnel dudes have forgot more than I'll ever know... but you're right, it's def a passion of mine... would be awesome to be able to scout and get paid for it... would be kind of a dream job!

What I do love about this thread is that it generates a mutual respect amongst posters... we don't have a lot of that nonsenical back and forth that turns most threads on here into a dumpster fire.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Thank you all for a great thread. Going into the combine and upcoming draft, the info contained within is appreciated. :-))

Back to you MB. The Thread is a resource of info for any NFL Club. We all can see that you love doing this work as a hobby/favvy passtime etc.

But seriously, I would not think it vanity if you emailed every NFL Club (VP of player personnel) and invite them all to take a peek at this tremendous amount of resource that takes incalcable amout of time. This thread just may be as good or better than what they already have assembled. 
    Find a reason for them to hire you as a no show/stay at home, talent investigator etc. Never know and worth a shot. No kidding!

enjoy ;-)

Haha, thanks for the props man, but most of those NFL personnel dudes have forgot more than I'll ever know... but you're right, it's def a passion of mine... would be awesome to be able to scout and get paid for it... would be kind of a dream job!

What I do love about this thread is that it generates a mutual respect amongst posters... we don't have a lot of that nonsenical back and forth that turns most threads on here into a dumpster fire.

If anything happens to BDC we have to keep this thread going, even if its in the forum section of some bridal gown website. Doesn't matter where, just keep them going. I'll give you a package of fig newtons and a yankee candle gift card if you do it haha

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

enjoy ;-)

If anything happens to BDC we have to keep this thread going, even if its in the forum section of some bridal gown website. Doesn't matter where, just keep them going. I'll give you a package of fig newtons and a yankee candle gift card if you do it haha

Hahahaha, I agree... the draft thread can never die!  He'll I'd prob create my own blog/discussion board (I say that now, but have no idea how to do either, though I think Low has a blog?), just to keep things going!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

enjoy ;-)

Hahahaha, I agree... the draft thread can never die!  He'll I'd prob create my own blog/discussion board (I say that now, but have no idea how to do either, though I think Low has a blog?), just to keep things going!

MB you never responded to my email/message to handle the draft section of the blog way back when. lol Invite always open.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

enjoy ;-)

MB you never responded to my email/message to handle the draft section of the blog way back when. lol Invite always open.

Haha, I actually had responded and asked what kind of content you were looking for as well as the frequency of posts, haha... can you message me the link to your blog offline?

Sections
Shortcuts