***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Looks like Mike Wallace is expected to be Miami's top FA target:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/20/report-mike-wallace-is-the-dolphins-top-target/

1.  May increase the need for NE to add DB talent, as if the need wasn't apparent already.

2.  May open up Brian Hartline as a FA option as folks have mentioned.

not to mentiuon dennards situation/

i wanted talib and a top cb (if we can get a pass eusher in fa) to be our 1 and 2 and dennard and dowling battleing for our 3 and 4. 

if lsot talib and dennard for a year, the sit could be red ie puch us to move for cbs in fa and draft.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

guys we can't have a bad draft this year, we need to find guys whose will cause impact in nfl immediately!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

The draft is deep in our areas of need. I expect this one to be as good as the Gronk/Hern draft. 

I have seen 3 mocks that have us taking kawaan short at 29. He has good size and is a good run defender as well as interior rusher. Any thoughts on this? I called short about 2 months ago, changed my mind, but am coming back around. I like him playing next to jones. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

The draft is deep in our areas of need. I expect this one to be as good as the Gronk/Hern draft. 

I have seen 3 mocks that have us taking kawaan short at 29. He has good size and is a good run defender as well as interior rusher. Any thoughts on this? I called short about 2 months ago, changed my mind, but am coming back around. I like him playing next to jones. 

im luke on short. 

with 3 picks, if we get a pass rusher in fa, a take the top cb avail ie rhodes, then big outside speed wr with hands.

with no pass rusher in fa, im looking to either trade up to best pass rusher in reach (ie ansah) or grab the best avail. (lastly, there is the risky option of trying to nab carradine in rd 2)

top 3 needs pass rusher, cb, wr.

then o line, speedy cover lb, safety, dt 

in that order.

schemewise a move to hittign bigger wr further downfield than 4-5 yards every down

josh learning hwo better to mix in the run and having multiple threats inthe game at the same time (including rb behind the qb) adn better gameplans (or replacing josh).

and on de, bb swicthing to more aggressive defensive scheme through the whole seaosn (against most teams).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Lifer, Short had excellent production 43 tackles, 15.5 tackles for a loss, seven sacks, four passes broken up, four blocked kicks and a forced fumble in 2012. Some sites were questioning his motor, but he had an ankle injury during the middle of the season.  He played through it. I do question his size as he weighed-in at the Senior Bowl at 308, would like to see him above 315. I think he be there in 25-40 range. Denver might grab him before us.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

guys we can't have a bad draft this year, we need to find guys whose will cause impact in nfl immediately!

100% correct !

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

What are your thougths on his WR mate Corey Fuller?  Looks like decent Day 3 size/speed type kid?

Fuller is a nice kid. He has good height and runs mid 4.4's which should be a plus. Comes from a football family but if I remember right he wasn't a big football player, he was a track guy. The problem being he wasn't fast enough to compete really. He gives a much better effort blocking then Davis but since he's kind of a late to football type of player he has some issues. He likes to catch the ball close to his body, doesn't run clean routes, telegraphs if he's the main target (on posts and out's looks back immediately instead of at a predetermined location or after the DB had been beat), doesn't have the best hands, and doesn't do a good job boxing out DBs. Still he is gifted athletically and has good potential with high upside. Right now he's and early day 3 pick but after the combine and pro-day, given his size and speed, with the right training coach he could end up mid day 2

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

One guy I've recently noticed as I was checking out smaller schools is:

Brandon Kaufman WR Eastern Washington - 6'4" 215 4.6ish speed

I was watching film on this kid and hope he's in the combine. The kid has a naturally long stride and from what little I saw has great leaping ability and excellent hands. He's a bit tight rounding corners but is excellent in boxing DB's out. The best part was watching him toss a CB to the ground one game, he just physically dominants at the line so press coverage doesn't work. Know he missed the entire 11' season after knee and hand surgery but in 12' he came back to the tune of 93 recs for 1850 yrds and 16 TDS in 10' had had 76 recs for 1214 yrds and 15 TDs so it was no fluke. I know it's the FCS but those numbers are impressive all the way around. If he's in the combine I expect him to shoot up draft boards quickly.

If we are going to draft a WR, I'd prefer to grab one in the 3rd and right now Kaufman and Marquess Wilson. I'd have a hard time choosing honestly. Wilson to me has top 15 talent but major red flags for character concerns. Kaufman has major talent but it's unproven. I might go Kaufman because I think he can be a special find

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTe)

I thkn in todays nfl, you have to get to the qb and bb's defensive style is out of date.

[/QUOTE] I agree, I've been saying that for yrs. You could have all the Ed Reed's/D. Revies of the world in coverage. But if you don't but pressure on the QB, what good is it.We saw what Joe Flacco did in the playoffs and just about every QB in the league does against our "Bend don't Break" defense.- Attack,Attack, hit the QB, make the QB make quick(bad)throws,throw the timmng off etc. It all starts up front.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

If the Pats want a safety it seems like a good year. The 1st three I looked at so far...

Elam

Swearinger

Vacarro

...all look good.

I agree, good amount of talent/physicality in this class... give ND's Zeke Motta and Florida's Josh Evans a look as well... both are good sized kids that that'll come up and smack you in the mouth... both could provide good value in Rd's 3/4.

Thanks MB I will have a look

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I was watching film on this kid and hope he's in the combine. The kid has a naturally long stride and from what little I saw has great leaping ability and excellent hands. He's a bit tight rounding corners but is excellent in boxing DB's out. The best part was watching him toss a CB to the ground one game, he just physically dominants at the line so press coverage doesn't work. Know he missed the entire 11' season after knee and hand surgery but in 12' he came back to the tune of 93 recs for 1850 yrds and 16 TDS in 10' had had 76 recs for 1214 yrds and 15 TDs so it was no fluke. I know it's the FCS but those numbers are impressive all the way around. If he's in the combine I expect him to shoot up draft boards quickly.

If we are going to draft a WR, I'd prefer to grab one in the 3rd and right now Kaufman and Marquess Wilson. I'd have a hard time choosing honestly. Wilson to me has top 15 talent but major red flags for character concerns. Kaufman has major talent but it's unproven. I might go Kaufman because I think he can be a special find

Nice find! I just checked out these 3 clips of him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwswt3fI2QE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeslnNUi2E4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk9zPQykWNE

Looks like he has a nice juke move similiar to Hernandez. Makes some nice catches. It would help if he had a better QB throwing to him

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Nice find Eng.  I discussed Kaufman a bit a while ago in this thread, and I agree that he could be a really nice find in this draft.  He will be at the combine, by the way.  I've seen Wilson play live numerous times, and Kaufman play live a few times as well.  As much as it pains me to say, because I love my Cougs, I would have to agree that Kaufman would probably be a smarter pick than Wilson.  Kuafman isn't as fast, but he is much more physical and he has phenomenal hands.  Even before all of the drama with Wilson this past season, he was having a tough year that included some big drops.  His head wasn't in the game, and after seeing the ugly fall-out he had with Leach and the rest of the WSU coaching staff, you have to wonder if he is mentally tough enough to make it in the NFL.  The combine interviews will not be easy for him, but will be crucial for his future.  I really like Kaufman.  He's a leader, plays hard, and broke about every recieving record in the book at EWU after 3 seasons.  Seems like a guy who would interest BB.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to palookaski's comment:

Thank you all for a great thread. Going into the combine and upcoming draft, the info contained within is appreciated. :-))

Thanks palookaski... like most on here, I'm happy to contribute.  GO PATS!

Back to you MB. The Thread is a resource of info for any NFL Club. We all can see that you love doing this work as a hobby/favvy passtime etc.

But seriously, I would not think it vanity if you emailed every NFL Club (VP of player personnel) and invite them all to take a peek at this tremendous amount of resource that takes incalcable amout of time. This thread just may be as good or better than what they already have assembled. 
    Find a reason for them to hire you as a no show/stay at home, talent investigator etc. Never know and worth a shot. No kidding!

enjoy ;-)

Haha, thanks for the props man, but most of those NFL personnel dudes have forgot more than I'll ever know... but you're right, it's def a passion of mine... would be awesome to be able to scout and get paid for it... would be kind of a dream job!

What I do love about this thread is that it generates a mutual respect amongst posters... we don't have a lot of that nonsenical back and forth that turns most threads on here into a dumpster fire.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Thank you all for a great thread. Going into the combine and upcoming draft, the info contained within is appreciated. :-))

Back to you MB. The Thread is a resource of info for any NFL Club. We all can see that you love doing this work as a hobby/favvy passtime etc.

But seriously, I would not think it vanity if you emailed every NFL Club (VP of player personnel) and invite them all to take a peek at this tremendous amount of resource that takes incalcable amout of time. This thread just may be as good or better than what they already have assembled. 
    Find a reason for them to hire you as a no show/stay at home, talent investigator etc. Never know and worth a shot. No kidding!

enjoy ;-)

Haha, thanks for the props man, but most of those NFL personnel dudes have forgot more than I'll ever know... but you're right, it's def a passion of mine... would be awesome to be able to scout and get paid for it... would be kind of a dream job!

What I do love about this thread is that it generates a mutual respect amongst posters... we don't have a lot of that nonsenical back and forth that turns most threads on here into a dumpster fire.

If anything happens to BDC we have to keep this thread going, even if its in the forum section of some bridal gown website. Doesn't matter where, just keep them going. I'll give you a package of fig newtons and a yankee candle gift card if you do it haha

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

enjoy ;-)

If anything happens to BDC we have to keep this thread going, even if its in the forum section of some bridal gown website. Doesn't matter where, just keep them going. I'll give you a package of fig newtons and a yankee candle gift card if you do it haha

Hahahaha, I agree... the draft thread can never die!  He'll I'd prob create my own blog/discussion board (I say that now, but have no idea how to do either, though I think Low has a blog?), just to keep things going!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

enjoy ;-)

Hahahaha, I agree... the draft thread can never die!  He'll I'd prob create my own blog/discussion board (I say that now, but have no idea how to do either, though I think Low has a blog?), just to keep things going!

MB you never responded to my email/message to handle the draft section of the blog way back when. lol Invite always open.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

enjoy ;-)

MB you never responded to my email/message to handle the draft section of the blog way back when. lol Invite always open.

Haha, I actually had responded and asked what kind of content you were looking for as well as the frequency of posts, haha... can you message me the link to your blog offline?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I completely agree this thread is one of the best on BDC because of the mutal respect of all the contributors. It's going to be sad as the draft approaches and it's taken over by the Johnny come lately's who complained about a draft thread starting in early Sept and then act like they know everything there is to know about prospects, but it will happen again. Until then this thread is always greatly appriciated and I like the back and forth about prospects. I can't wait until after this weekend when things really start to pick up. I've though about this a long time ago, but how great would it be if we could have a draft website (similar to NEPatriotsDraft) to pull this collective knowledge in but I don't think any of us have the time for it. That's the best part about this thread though, is individually there is no way any of us could spend the time to gather all those info, but collectively it's like a little mini scouting department for fans

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I completely agree this thread is one of the best on BDC because of the mutal respect of all the contributors. It's going to be sad as the draft approaches and it's taken over by the Johnny come lately's who complained about a draft thread starting in early Sept and then act like they know everything there is to know about prospects, but it will happen again. Until then this thread is always greatly appriciated and I like the back and forth about prospects. I can't wait until after this weekend when things really start to pick up. I've though about this a long time ago, but how great would it be if we could have a draft website (similar to NEPatriotsDraft) to pull this collective knowledge in but I don't think any of us have the time for it. That's the best part about this thread though, is individually there is no way any of us could spend the time to gather all those info, but collectively it's like a little mini scouting department for fans

Good stuff, man... couldn't agree more!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Mb,

i would like to see some polling from time to time on players we are all bringing up. This way, If I miss a day or two, I can get a quick pulse on what the regulars think of a certain player. Also, maybe periodic mocks posted by guys here...some more detailed analysis and contributions around FA...if we did all this maybe we can sell advertising space back to BDC

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

nepatsdraft.com today has ansah and rhodes available at 29....... oh man if those 2 are available........

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Below is a mock with the players that I have in mind for NE's current draft slots (Pre-Combine/Pro-Days)... I would love to add Jon Cyprien to this list, but I think he'll be off the board somewhere in between their Rd 1 and 2 pick (similar to CB Logan Ryan and WR Quinton Patton)... heck, he may work his way onto my Rd 1 board before all is said and done.  I've also mocked Tank as a Rd 1 option as I think that's where his talent level is... would love to land him at the end of Rd 2, but that may not be possible.

Curious on who everyone else is high one, where you project them?

Rd 1:  DT Jesse Williams- Alabama (6-3 320) I don’t see many players in this class that make more sense for what BB values in a player, an at a premium position for his defensive philosophy.  He can immediately step in along side VW and projects as his heir apparent as their primary interior defender.

Other Options:  DE-OLB Tank Carradine / OG Jon Cooper / WR DeAndre Hopkins / S Matt Elam

Rd 2:  S DJ Swearinger  (5-11 210) BB targets a banger for his secondary… a kid that can come in and add some much needed swagger and physicality to the back of his his defense.   This kid is a leader on the field, has played a ton of quality football in the SEC and fits a real need.

Other Options:  CB DJ Hayden / WR Stedman Bailey / CB Jamar Taylor / OL Brian Winters

Rd 3:  CB Darius Slay (6-1 190) Good size/speed/movement ability combo, he excels as a cover CB, displaying good awareness and ball skills and will also provide value on ST.  He fills another need on the defensive side of the ball, providing size and talent on the perimeter.  He’s a rising prospect.

Other Options:  DE-OLB Michael Buchanan / DE-OLB Lavar Edwards / WR Ace Sanders / S Josh Evans

Rd 7:  WR TJ Moe- Missouri (5-11 200)

Rd 7:  DE/OLB Bradley Madison- Missouri (6-4 265)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Hard to not like that mock MB. I like Jesse Williams and the potential he brings. Kid is a monster against the run, can collapse the pocket and play all along the DL...love that versatility.  Swearinger is the enforcer we need back there, he is growing on me. Slay I don't know much about..but I do like his size and speed...

Question..does your mock assume we resign Talib? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Below is a mock with the players that I have in mind for NE's current draft slots (Pre-Combine/Pro-Days)... I would love to add Jon Cyprien to this list, but I think he'll be off the board somewhere in between their Rd 1 and 2 pick (similar to CB Logan Ryan and WR Quinton Patton)... heck, he may work his way onto my Rd 1 board before all is said and done.  I've also mocked Tank as a Rd 1 option as I think that's where his talent level is... would love to land him at the end of Rd 2, but that may not be possible.

Curious on who everyone else is high one, where you project them?

Rd 1:  DT Jesse Williams- Alabama (6-3 320) I don’t see many players in this class that make more sense for what BB values in a player, an ad a premium position for this defensive philosophy.  He can immediately step in along side VW and projects as his heir apparent as their primary interior defender.

Other Options:  DE-OLB Tank Carradine / OG Jon Cooper / WR DeAndre Hopkins / S Matt Elam

Rd 2:  S DJ Swearinger  (5-11 210) BB targets a banger for his secondary… a kid that can come in and add some much needed swagger and physicality to the back of his his defense.   This kid is a leader on the field, has played a ton of quality football in the SEC and fits a real need.

Other Options:  CB DJ Hayden / WR Stedman Bailey / CB Jamar Taylor / OL Brian Winters

Rd 3:  CB Darius Slay (6-1 190) Good size/speed/movement ability combo, he excels as a cover CB, displaying good awareness and ball skills and will also provide value on ST.  He fills another need on the defensive side of the ball, providing size and talent on the perimeter.  He’s a rising prospect.

Other Options:  DE-OLB Michael Buchanan / DE-OLB Lavar Edwards / WR Ace Sanders / S Josh Evans

Rd 7:  WR TJ Moe- Missouri (5-11 200)

Rd 7:  DE/OLB Bradley Madison- Missouri (6-4 265)

ive done my version multple times (multiple times including free agents) maybe 8. and every time the players i pick for each round move up (up to 2 rounds) and out of reach where i picked them. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Mb,

i would like to see some polling from time to time on players we are all bringing up. This way, If I miss a day or two, I can get a quick pulse on what the regulars think of a certain player. Also, maybe periodic mocks posted by guys here...some more detailed analysis and contributions around FA...if we did all this maybe we can sell advertising space back to BDC

Becareful what you ask for:

Rd 1:  DT Jonathan Hankins- Ohio (6-4 325) It might be a wet dream at this point but there seems to be more and more suggesting he might make it to the back of the 1st. This kid is big, strong, and has a non-stop motor. Excellent in the run game and has some well polished rushing moves but lacks that initial explosiveness to burst through the line. More of a pocket pusher will consistently put pressure on a QB driving him into the edges. His versatility will make him even more valuable as he's comfortable as a 43 DT, 34 DE and 34 NT.

Other Options:  DT Jonathan Jenkins / DE Ezekiel Ansah / CB Xavier Rhodes / S Matt Elam

Rd 2:  CB Will Davis Utah State  (5-11 182) Davis has a special combination of athletic ability, size, and speed for a corner. He's a physical CB who isn't afraid to take on even TE's at the line with excellent hands recording an int in 5 straight games along with 17 break ups and 22 PDs. He was invisible at the senior bowl which may lead to concern he can't compete at the next level but he was one of the most dominant CB's in college football last year

Other Options:  DT Jesse Williams / WR Da'Rick Rogers / DE Margus Hunt / CB Leon McFadden

Rd 3:  WR Brandon Kaufman (6-5 214) Coming from a FCS school not many know about Kaufman but I think after the combine his name is going to shoot up peoples boards. Kaufman is a large physical WR that plays more like a TE with excellent hands and ability to box out DBs. He makes very tough catches and can out jump almost everyone around him. He'll fight for the ball and at the line with an enormous catching radius. The biggest knocks against him are his college, his slower mid 4.6 speed, that he has trouble gaining separation/open field ability, and that he missed the 11' season after injury to both hand and knee. To compensate however Kaufman has developed techniques to beat quicker CB's which includes bumping the CB at the line and driving him on his heels. If he stayed in school another year to develop he could have easily been in conversation as an early 2nd round or even slip into the 1st type of WR. He also has a very high motor, blocking ability, and plays hurt Sounds like a BB guy to me.

Other Options:  CB B.W. Webb / CB Robert Alford / DE William Gholston / WR Marquess Wilson / G/C David Quessenberry

Rd 7:  CB Tyrann Mathieu- LSU (5-9 175) Some don't think Mathieu will escape the mid rounds just because of talent alone. But, given failed rehab, an arrest in Oct, and being out of football this past year it wouldn't shock me to see the honey badger drop completely out of the draft. Mathieu has a ton of talent almost winning the Heisman but off field issues derailed what would have been a sure 1st round pick. He's the low risk high reward player loves to take a chance on and could become one of the best slot CB's in the game, if he can screw his head back on

Rd 7:  SS Ray Ray Armstrong- Faulkner (6-4 220) My trend of looking for fallen stars in the 7th continues with Ray Ray. His off-field issues are a concern but on field he's a top 100 talent with amazing size and physical ability. If anyone can get the kid mentally right he'd be the steal of the draft in the back of the 7th. It's not everyday you get a 6'4" 220lb S that runs mid 4.5's is an imposing hitter and has decent hands. His stock drops after a number of incidents involving PR firms. Hopefully being picked in the back of the 7th is enough to knock it through this kids head to play by the rules.

Sections
Shortcuts