***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

Nice Mock, Eng.  I love the idea of looking at troubled stars in the 7th.  Either they will shape up and become quality players for us, or they can get cut.  Not much of a risk since it's only a 7th rounder.  I really like Kaufman too, as I mentioned earlier.  I'd really love to see us acquire a 4th or 5th rounder and then take Kaufman a bit later, but he is one of those guys who might see his stock rise significantly if he can turn a few heads at the combine.  In the end, 3rd round might be a good landing spot for him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Hard to not like that mock MB. I like Jesse Williams and the potential he brings. Kid is a monster against the run, can collapse the pocket and play all along the DL...love that versatility.  Swearinger is the enforcer we need back there, he is growing on me. Slay I don't know much about..but I do like his size and speed...

Question..does your mock assume we resign Talib? 

Thanks, man... I generally try to mock on the assumption that the roster is as it stands today... certainly FA could change my projection down the road, but I like for that activity to take player first, vs. making assumptions.

What I will say is that I think CB depth could be an issue even if they do sign Talib (i.e. Ras-I's durability and Dennard's sentencing which is TBD, though it may be short if any).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Mb,

i would like to see some polling from time to time on players we are all bringing up. This way, If I miss a day or two, I can get a quick pulse on what the regulars think of a certain player. Also, maybe periodic mocks posted by guys here...some more detailed analysis and contributions around FA...if we did all this maybe we can sell advertising space back to BDC

Becareful what you ask for:

Rd 1:  DT Jonathan Hankins- Ohio (6-4 325) It might be a wet dream at this point but there seems to be more and more suggesting he might make it to the back of the 1st. This kid is big, strong, and has a non-stop motor. Excellent in the run game and has some well polished rushing moves but lacks that initial explosiveness to burst through the line. More of a pocket pusher will consistently put pressure on a QB driving him into the edges. His versatility will make him even more valuable as he's comfortable as a 43 DT, 34 DE and 34 NT.

Other Options:  DT Jonathan Jenkins / DE Ezekiel Ansah / CB Xavier Rhodes / S Matt Elam

Rd 2:  CB Will Davis Utah State  (5-11 182) Davis has a special combination of athletic ability, size, and speed for a corner. He's a physical CB who isn't afraid to take on even TE's at the line with excellent hands recording an int in 5 straight games along with 17 break ups and 22 PDs. He was invisible at the senior bowl which may lead to concern he can't compete at the next level but he was one of the most dominant CB's in college football last year

Other Options:  DT Jesse Williams / WR Da'Rick Rogers / DE Margus Hunt / CB Leon McFadden

Rd 3:  WR Brandon Kaufman (6-5 214) Coming from a FCS school not many know about Kaufman but I think after the combine his name is going to shoot up peoples boards. Kaufman is a large physical WR that plays more like a TE with excellent hands and ability to box out DBs. He makes very tough catches and can out jump almost everyone around him. He'll fight for the ball and at the line with an enormous catching radius. The biggest knocks against him are his college, his slower mid 4.6 speed, that he has trouble gaining separation/open field ability, and that he missed the 11' season after injury to both hand and knee. To compensate however Kaufman has developed techniques to beat quicker CB's which includes bumping the CB at the line and driving him on his heels. If he stayed in school another year to develop he could have easily been in conversation as an early 2nd round or even slip into the 1st type of WR. He also has a very high motor, blocking ability, and plays hurt Sounds like a BB guy to me.

Other Options:  CB B.W. Webb / CB Robert Alford / DE William Gholston / WR Marquess Wilson / G/C David Quessenberry

Rd 7:  CB Tyrann Mathieu- LSU (5-9 175) Some don't think Mathieu will escape the mid rounds just because of talent alone. But, given failed rehab, an arrest in Oct, and being out of football this past year it wouldn't shock me to see the honey badger drop completely out of the draft. Mathieu has a ton of talent almost winning the Heisman but off field issues derailed what would have been a sure 1st round pick. He's the low risk high reward player loves to take a chance on and could become one of the best slot CB's in the game, if he can screw his head back on

Rd 7:  SS Ray Ray Armstron- Faulkner (6-4 220) My trend of looking for fallen stars in the 7th continues with Ray Ray. His off-field issues are a concern but on field he's a top 100 talent with amazing size and physical ability. If anyone can get the kid mentally right he'd be the steal of the draft in the back of the 7th. It's not everyday you get a 6'4" 220lb S that runs mid 4.5's is an imposing hitter and has decent hands. His stock drops after a number of incidents involving PR firms. Hopefully being picked in the back of the 7th is enough to knock it through this kids head to play by the rules.

*I'd be more than happy with Hankins.

*I'm surprised that you had Davis ove McFadden.

*I'll have to give Kaufman a look.

*I like the value/risk/reward of the 7th rounders... though I don't think Mathieu makes it that far... if he does, he makes a lot of sense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Interesting: 

*From one AFC college personnel director: “There are no sure bet corners in this draft. It’s one of the weakest corner drafts I seem in a while. The super athletic guys can't cover and press, and the ones who can aren't that athletic.”

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Friday-Buzz-2959.html

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

*I'd be more than happy with Hankins.

*I'm surprised that you had Davis ove McFadden.

The only reason I took Davis over McFadden in honesty is size. 5'9" compared to 5'11" closer to 6' makes a difference in this case. Both players look great and I think either would fit well in the slot

*I'll have to give Kaufman a look.

*I like the value/risk/reward of the 7th rounders... though I don't think Mathieu makes it that far... if he does, he makes a lot of sense.

I don't think he falls that far either but the failing out of rehab is going to make a ton of teams drop him off the board right completely, esp since there was a recent incident. Some team might take a shot with him but then again we could have said the same thing about Dennard last year

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Mb,

i would like to see some polling from time to time on players we are all bringing up. This way, If I miss a day or two, I can get a quick pulse on what the regulars think of a certain player. Also, maybe periodic mocks posted by guys here...some more detailed analysis and contributions around FA...if we did all this maybe we can sell advertising space back to BDC

Hey PL,

Yeah, it'd be cool to see everyone post their draft boards.  I kinds wish this thread was still pinned to the top of the BDC board, was fun to watch folks have mental breakdowns over it for the short period of time that it was.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Mb,

Hey PL,

Yeah, it'd be cool to see everyone post their draft boards.  I kinds wish this thread was still pinned to the top of the BDC board, was fun to watch folks have mental breakdowns over it for the short period of time that it was.

HA!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Agree. Especially with Dennard on the other side. it would be nice to have big corners. Now if Ras could step up we would be set.

this is primarily the reason I like MB's kid in the 3rd...Darius Slay. He has dowling like size , and a decent cover corner. 

Question for the group...where do you stack Rhodes against some of the kids mentioned here for corner in round 3? Meaning, if Rhodes was still on the board around the mod 40's, early fifties, do you move up to get him? Do you see him much if any better than Slay, Davis or McFadden?

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Combine WR measurements of note:

Smallest hands of any WR, Marquise Goodsen & Ryan Swope.  This is an under-rated aspect of any WR.  I'm not saying that these guys with tiny hands can't catch, but it certainly makes it more difficult for them.

EWU WR Brandon Kaufman came in at 6'5" 216.  If he runs well & shows decent agility he could in fact be a 3rd round pick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

the guy im paying most attention to right now is cincy's DE walter stewart. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9QcWcCPDrI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBVlaaO1fSM

National Football Post's Russ Lande says Cincinnati DE/OLB Walter Stewart could go in the top 40. "Do not be surprised if Stewart’s back passes some physicals if he ends up being a top 40 selection in the Draft," Lande wrote. Stewart has been getting publicity since getting a second opinion that has allowed him to play football. Most recently, Mike Mayock said Stewart could be a top 10 pick if his medicals check out. 

Sh!t, I had forgotten about him... thought I had read that his injury could be career ending, good that his 2nd opinion says differently... below is what I had posted about him on 9/7:

Morning Boys,

Don't know if anyone else caught last nights Pittsburgh/Cincinnati game, but Cincinnati DE Walter Stewart- 6-5 249, really stood out to me.

This kid looks the part, good length (seen him listed anywhere from 6-3 to 6-5, but the kid looks to have long arms), explosive off the edge, good motor and plays a physical brand of football... ended last nights game with (2) sacks and a FF. 

In rearching him, he's a converted LB (which will appeal to 34 teams) which helped him develop solid instincs as evident by his (8) passes defended last year, he was also 2nd on the team to Derek Wolfe with (6) sacks and 4th with (11) TFL last season.

Teammate and fellow DE Dan Giordano 6-3 260, was another kid that stood out due to his motor and ability to get after it.  He had a solid JR season as well registering (5) sacks and 9 TFL.

It's clear that Cincy can really get after the passer!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Ricky,

Looks like your boy Goodwin is listed (combine doesn't generally use fractional measurements for height like you see at the SB) about 2 inches and 10 pounds bigger than Ace (5-9 183 vs. 5-7 173)... while Ace has bigger hands (8.78 vs. 8.58) per Combine measurements.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Let the combine begin!   Baby steps to draft but we're getting there!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

PE,

Your boy Chris Gragg had the best TE 40 time, 4.50... could be an interesting Day 3 option as you've mention as that flex/matchup problem type player.

Also good to see Jake Stoneburner measure in a 6-3 252 and drop a 4.65... interested to see if the Urban/Vrabel connection could come into play on Day 3 as well.

On another note, Rutgers LB Khaseem Greene measured in a lot bigger than expected (241 vs. his listed 225 or so)... kid's gonna get a tone of Rd 1 looks if he hasn't already... kid's a very productive playmaker.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

A couple of standout performances

Ark-Pine Bluff, OT,  Terron Armstead  6"5" 306   4.71 forty, smooth in position drills

OK, OT  Lane Johnson,  6'6" 303, 4.72 forty 34" vert, great in position drills

Two fastest forty times ever for OL at the NFL Scouting Combine.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

PE,

Your boy Chris Gragg had the best TE 40 time, 4.50... could be an interesting Day 3 option as you've mention as that flex/matchup problem type player.

Also good to see Jake Stoneburner measure in a 6-3 252 and drop a 4.65... interested to see if the Urban/Vrabel connection could come into play on Day 3 as well.

On another note, Rutgers LB Khaseem Greene measured in a lot bigger than expected (241 vs. his listed 225 or so)... kid's gonna get a tone of Rd 1 looks if he hasn't already... kid's a very productive playmaker.

I saw, also a 37.5 vertical. Kid look like he had solid hands in the catching drills but wandering feet on the line. Still 6'3" 235 with good verticle and 4.5 speed wow. Could be interesting if he makes it to the 7th or UDFA. Given the depth at TE that is possible

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Mayock pointed out Cragg had injuries in two seasons.  Leg injury this year. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Jordan having surgery. Might hurt him a bit and drop him 5-10 spots

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

I agree, he might run 40 though, but don't thing he gets close to 29.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

Gragg had a very good workout. one thing i found interesting however is that while he absolutely destroyed everyone in the 40 yard dash he was slower in the 20 yard shuttle than the 3 TE's who ran the slowest 40 times all placing in the 4.9 range. i'm guessing this is a result of him not having good flexibility and being able to bend? he ran a solid 3cone drill so his COD isn't the problem but i don't think the 3cone drill requires the players to bend and touch the ground. 

Eifert established himself as the clear #1 TE IMO just ahead of Ertz.

the thing about Cragg is his straight line speed is blazing and he has decent CoD but it takes him a little bit to get up to top speed. The shuttle really hurts him in that regard

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

2013 NFL Combine: Weigh-In Recap - Defensive Linemen - http://walterfootball.com/combine2013weighinDL.php

Throughout the 2012 season and in the early going of 2013, Utah defensive tackle Star Lotulelei has been the consensus top-rated defensive lineman. Lotulelei had a superb senior season that featured his power and explosive speed. At the Combine, Lotulelei measured 6-foot-3, 311-pounds. That was one inch shorter and 14 pounds lighter than his listed numbers. The difference isn't significant, and the lower weight could be by design to help him in the 40-yard dash. Lotulelei should perform well in Indianapolis.

One of the fastest-rising prospects since the end of the season has been Florida defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd. The Gators had listed Floyd at 6-foot-3, 301 pounds. That turned out to be very accurate as Floyd was 6-3, 297 in Indianapolis. It was good for Floyd that he didn't check in smaller than expected.

Florida State defensive end Brandon Jenkins checked in a lot smaller than expected. Coming off a foot injury that cost him the 2012 season, Jenkins was 6-foot-2, 251 pounds. Jenkins had been listed at 6-foot-3, 260 pounds by Florida State. Weighing in at 250 forces Jenkins to outside linebacker in the NFL. In a 4-3 defense, he could play linebacker on run downs and rush as an end in passing situations if he can prove to play linebacker effectively. However, it is more likely that the lighter weight could force Jenkins into being a situational pass rusher in a 4-3 defense. His best fit would be as a 3-4 outside linebacker.

Seminoles' teammate Bjoern Werner has had his weight all over the place over the last year and a half. During the 2011 season, he was said to be in the 270s. In 2012, he was listed at 255 pounds. At the Combine, Werner measured 6-foot-3, 266 pounds. That weight is a nice, happy medium. It allows Werner to be a 4-3 defensive end or a 3-4 outside linebacker. Werner has some natural power and explosion, so he should perform well in Indianapolis.

Texas A&M defensive end Damontre Moore (6-5, 250) came in as advertised. He actually was an inch taller than his listed height by the Aggies. Moore could fit as a 3-4 outside linebacker, but if he is drafted into a 4-3 scheme, he should add weight for the NFL. The good news for Moore and potential teams is he has the frame to get that done.

It was a mixed weigh-in for LSU's Barkevious Mingo. He checked in at 6-foot-4, 241 pounds. That is near his listed numbers (6-5, 240), but Mingo admitted to playing the 2012 season around 230 pounds. Clearly he can't play defensive end in the NFL unless he can add 20 pounds. Mingo would fit best as a 3-4 outside linebacker in the NFL. If he is drafted into a 4-3, he will have to play outside linebacker, similarly to Von Miller. However, Mingo still lacks Miller's tenacity and physicality. Mingo is very fast and should run extremely well at the Combine.

Oregon outside linebacker Dion Jordan (6-6, 248) will have shoulder surgery after the Combine, but his weigh-in went well. He was an inch shorter and five pounds heavier than his listed weight. Once Jordan can work out normally he should have no issues adding weight to his frame. In the NFL, Jordan could easily play in the 250s, if not the 260s.

Auburn defensive end/outside linebacker Corey Lemonier helped himself at the weigh-in. He was listed at 6-foot-4, 246 pounds and weighed in at better numbers (6-3, 255). Lemonier needed more weight to hold up in run defense. It still looks like his best fit would come as a 3-4 outside linebacker.

The 6-foot-3, 294-pound Sheldon Richardson was one pound lighter and one inch shorter than his listed weight by Missouri. It was good for Richardson to hit his numbers and not fall short.

LSU defensive tackle Bennie Logan (6-2, 309) helped himself at the weigh-in. He was significantly heavier than his listed weight of 287 pounds. That is a big difference and takes away a size concern that was there. It wouldn't be surprising if Logan runs well in the 40 and does well in the field work. He could give his stock a nice boost at the Combine.

Ohio State defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins (6-3, 320) came in close to his listed numbers (6-4, 325). Hankins needs a good Combine to stand out in a loaded class of defensive tackles. He is a powerful defender and has short arms (33.08), so he should produce a good total in the bench press.

Michigan State defensive end William Gholston (6-6, 281) is a huge defender. The Spartans had Gholston three pounds lighter and an inch taller. Gholston didn't have much production in 2012 so he needs a good Combine to help his draft stock.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

2013 NFL Combine: Weigh-In Recap - Defensive Linemen - http://walterfootball.com/combine2013weighinDL.php

Throughout the 2012 season and in the early going of 2013, Utah defensive tackle Star Lotulelei has been the consensus top-rated defensive lineman. Lotulelei had a superb senior season that featured his power and explosive speed. At the Combine, Lotulelei measured 6-foot-3, 311-pounds. That was one inch shorter and 14 pounds lighter than his listed numbers. The difference isn't significant, and the lower weight could be by design to help him in the 40-yard dash. Lotulelei should perform well in Indianapolis.

One of the fastest-rising prospects since the end of the season has been Florida defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd. The Gators had listed Floyd at 6-foot-3, 301 pounds. That turned out to be very accurate as Floyd was 6-3, 297 in Indianapolis. It was good for Floyd that he didn't check in smaller than expected.

Florida State defensive end Brandon Jenkins checked in a lot smaller than expected. Coming off a foot injury that cost him the 2012 season, Jenkins was 6-foot-2, 251 pounds. Jenkins had been listed at 6-foot-3, 260 pounds by Florida State. Weighing in at 250 forces Jenkins to outside linebacker in the NFL. In a 4-3 defense, he could play linebacker on run downs and rush as an end in passing situations if he can prove to play linebacker effectively. However, it is more likely that the lighter weight could force Jenkins into being a situational pass rusher in a 4-3 defense. His best fit would be as a 3-4 outside linebacker.

Seminoles' teammate Bjoern Werner has had his weight all over the place over the last year and a half. During the 2011 season, he was said to be in the 270s. In 2012, he was listed at 255 pounds. At the Combine, Werner measured 6-foot-3, 266 pounds. That weight is a nice, happy medium. It allows Werner to be a 4-3 defensive end or a 3-4 outside linebacker. Werner has some natural power and explosion, so he should perform well in Indianapolis.

Texas A&M defensive end Damontre Moore (6-5, 250) came in as advertised. He actually was an inch taller than his listed height by the Aggies. Moore could fit as a 3-4 outside linebacker, but if he is drafted into a 4-3 scheme, he should add weight for the NFL. The good news for Moore and potential teams is he has the frame to get that done.

It was a mixed weigh-in for LSU's Barkevious Mingo. He checked in at 6-foot-4, 241 pounds. That is near his listed numbers (6-5, 240), but Mingo admitted to playing the 2012 season around 230 pounds. Clearly he can't play defensive end in the NFL unless he can add 20 pounds. Mingo would fit best as a 3-4 outside linebacker in the NFL. If he is drafted into a 4-3, he will have to play outside linebacker, similarly to Von Miller. However, Mingo still lacks Miller's tenacity and physicality. Mingo is very fast and should run extremely well at the Combine.

Oregon outside linebacker Dion Jordan (6-6, 248) will have shoulder surgery after the Combine, but his weigh-in went well. He was an inch shorter and five pounds heavier than his listed weight. Once Jordan can work out normally he should have no issues adding weight to his frame. In the NFL, Jordan could easily play in the 250s, if not the 260s.

Auburn defensive end/outside linebacker Corey Lemonier helped himself at the weigh-in. He was listed at 6-foot-4, 246 pounds and weighed in at better numbers (6-3, 255). Lemonier needed more weight to hold up in run defense. It still looks like his best fit would come as a 3-4 outside linebacker.

The 6-foot-3, 294-pound Sheldon Richardson was one pound lighter and one inch shorter than his listed weight by Missouri. It was good for Richardson to hit his numbers and not fall short.

LSU defensive tackle Bennie Logan (6-2, 309) helped himself at the weigh-in. He was significantly heavier than his listed weight of 287 pounds. That is a big difference and takes away a size concern that was there. It wouldn't be surprising if Logan runs well in the 40 and does well in the field work. He could give his stock a nice boost at the Combine.

Ohio State defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins (6-3, 320) came in close to his listed numbers (6-4, 325). Hankins needs a good Combine to stand out in a loaded class of defensive tackles. He is a powerful defender and has short arms (33.08), so he should produce a good total in the bench press.

Michigan State defensive end William Gholston (6-6, 281) is a huge defender. The Spartans had Gholston three pounds lighter and an inch taller. Gholston didn't have much production in 2012 so he needs a good Combine to help his draft stock.

I had shied away from Lemonier a bit due to his listed weight, but am gonna have to give him a closer look now that he weighed in a 255... he may play lighter, but he could be a day 2 edge rush option... his length isn't ideal, but he's explosive and athletic.

Also gonna have to ltake another look at Logan.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Wow, Tank Carradine at 6-4 276 (34.68 arms)... I'm assuming he plays a bit lighter (may have put on a few since tearing his ACL, but with that size, length, athleticism and play speed, I'm liking this kid more and more... have moved him up to a Rd 1 option and have him as my #2 player... he could still represent a huge value for some team in Rd 2, but def a Rd 1 talent, IMO.

My #1, Jesse Williams was as advertised as well, 6-3 323.