***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

What are your thoughts, do the Patriots draft offense or defense with their first draft pick?  Or do they take vest player on their board at the time?

I'm not a big draft guy so please be easy on me here with this question as I have been thinking about it for for a couple years now.

You hear a lot about teams still draft by selecting the best available player on their board at they time they draft instead of targeting a specific position they need.  Does this philosophy still make sense in todays football? 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

What are your thoughts, do the Patriots draft offense or defense with their first draft pick?  Or do they take vest player on their board at the time?

I'm not a big draft guy so please be easy on me here with this question as I have been thinking about it for for a couple years now.

You hear a lot about teams still draft by selecting the best available player on their board at they time they draft instead of targeting a specific position they need.  Does this philosophy still make sense in todays football? 

Defense first for me... open to O, certainly, but I want defense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to Godvernment's comment:

Chris Harper in with an unofficial 4.57 and 4.47.

he really needed that 4.47... helped himself out a lot. 

Kid is a poor man's Anquan Boldin to me... that's who I keep coming back to... he's prob faster than Anquan, but Anquan may have the best hands in the NFL and and is one of the tougher dudes out there.

agreed. i'd put boldin's hands just behind larry fitz and reggie wayne. harper has some impressive hands himself. 

Agreed, like that he demonstrates the abilty to cath the football away from his body.  He doesn't generate a ton of seperation, but is able to muscle defenders off the football and use his size/strength/balance to pick up YAC.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Official 40 times..

Austin 4.34

Goodwin 4.27

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Wow, TJ Moe had 26 reps at 225... Bama OT DJ Fluker had 21... I get it, he has 36+ in arms, ha.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I don't think he plays like a burner, but good to see Swope drop in (2) 40 times under 4.40.

I love this kid as a Late Day 2, early Day 3 option.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Guys take a look at Justin junter... he has 6'4"and his combine numbers are 4.44 in the 40 yard, 39,5 inches in the vert jump and 136 inches in the broad jump this kid looks very good

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Wow, unofficial 4.30 for RB Knile Davis at 227 pounds... impressive.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Official 40 times for WR's listed in the link below:

http://walterfootball.com/combine2013WR.php

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

guys Matt Elam has the same size as Jarius Byrd, his size isn`t a big problem

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Kaufman's official time (4.67) doesn't look quite as good.  Still a guy to keep an eye on, but I'm starting to think he might not have the quickness/route-running experience to fit into NE's complex system.  Marquise Wilson is looking pretty good.  Might be worth a gamble mid-to-late rounds if NE is convinced that he has gotten over his "charater issues" and if they think he is coachable and willing to work.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Auburn RB Onterio MacCalebb just ran an unofficial 4.21.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

I don't know many that are concerned over his size... he's not tall, but he's built like a tank with a thick upper and lower half.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Auburn RB Onterio MacCalebb just ran an unofficial 4.21.

I saw mind blowing. Truthfully though I hate the 40 times. I prefer the 10yrd splits and the cones

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Kaufman's official time (4.67) doesn't look quite as good.  Still a guy to keep an eye on, but I'm starting to think he might not have the quickness/route-running experience to fit into NE's complex system.  Marquise Wilson is looking pretty good.  Might be worth a gamble mid-to-late rounds if NE is convinced that he has gotten over his "charater issues" and if they think he is coachable and willing to work.

Oddly enough both are my guys in the 3rd. I like them both, Wilson is more of an outside the numbers down field tall WR, Kaufman is a large catch radius just toss it up and let him get it type of player

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

I don't know many that are concerned over his size... he's not tall, but he's built like a tank with a thick upper and lower half.

what about his covering skills?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I didn't catch the beginning of the combine until now, They had BB with his son eating popcorn. He didn't appear that interested in watching the first groups 40's. Is there something to read there?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Hey guys, what can u say about DJ Swearinger?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I was really impressed with Ryan Swope today.  I liked him during the season but didn't realize he was this fast.  He would be an interesting option in the 3rd if he doesn't ascend too much.  Also became a believer in Tavon Austin but doubt the Pats would spend 29 on him.  Austin could free us up from tagging Welker and instead use the tag on Talib. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Swope was a nice surprise but so was Wheaton with speed and a 37 vertical. Marquise Wilson had a good outing but disappointed in leaping ability and Kaufman really disappointed in leaping ability, but had very solid hands in the drills. There should be a lot of options in the 3rd

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

Swope will be available late and I think he coud really come in and play that slot position. I was also surprised his 40 was that fast but after watching some tape on him it really shows in the open fireld. I have a feeling BB will move back with a few of his draft choices and if Swope is available somewhere in the 4th round I think he could be a great fit in NE. That way with his first couple draft choices BB cn continue to add to the depth of that front 7 on our D.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Hey guys, what can u say about DJ Swearinger?

Good sized kid (5-11+ 210), a ton of experience in the SEC, he's a physical banger, has the ability to play down in the box or cover the deep half/third, plays with emotion and looks like a leader on the field... overall, he's a kid that I'm very interested in as a Day 2 S option.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Swope was a nice surprise but so was Wheaton with speed and a 37 vertical. Marquise Wilson had a good outing but disappointed in leaping ability and Kaufman really disappointed in leaping ability, but had very solid hands in the drills. There should be a lot of options in the 3rd

After the Senior Bowl, I really liked Wheaton. On youtube, I think he's one of the best at creating separation. His 40 time makes you pay attention even more. That said, on the youtube, you will also notice a bad habit -- he catches a lot of balls with his arms and chest. If you can overlook that, I guess he'll be a fine receiver.

I am guesing that Boyce and Swope will be at the same range. Though decent, does not seem to separate as well as Wheaton, but catches with his hands much better. To me, Boyce seems to have the best combination.

Sections
Shortcuts